Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

I hope that this hasn't already been done, I searched and didn't see one dedicated to upgrading the Specialized Fatboy. The plan is to post your build/modification specs with weigh and pictures. Here's mine:

2014 Specialized Fatboy Expert, 17.5
    Upgrades:
    *Both Tires setup tubeless
    *Ashima Air-Rotor discs 180 front/160 rear
    *Formula R1 brakes
    *Ritchey WCS stem 90mm
    *S-Works carbon handlebars, 635mm wide
    *S-Works carbon seatpost
    *Specialized Grappler XL grips
    *Specialized Phenom Ti saddle, 143mm wide
    *SRAM X9 trigger shifter, right side only
    *1x10 conversion includes:
    Raceface Next SL crankset, 175mm
    Raceface narrow/wide chainring, 32T
    Wolftooth 42T GC, red
    SRAM XX cassette, 36-12
    SRAM 1090 hollow pin chain
    Raceface PF30 bottom bracket
    *Shimano SPD 520 pedals
    *Specialized Manta bottle cage

Notes: *Bike as shown weighs 27.4 lbs
    *With the Husker Du tires I have in the garage, the bike weighs 27 lbs. but I don't like the ride of the HuDu's. I feel that they self steer too much. In order to eliminate the self steer, I've had to use more air pressure, resulting in a harsh ride. I have elected to run the Ground Controls full-time because they are a smoother ride (to me) and I love the traction.
    *I run the SPD 520's on all my bikes. I've had major issues with the XTR version and decided that reliability is more important than nano-grams. Same is said for my seatpost, stem and bar selection. I've had weight-weenie stuff on the Fatboy and had failures. You can't win if you can't finsih.
    *The only additional upgrade that I plan to make is to add a set of HED Big Deal wheels.....hopefully before Iceman!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2184.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice bike. Does anyone run clipless pedals on fat bikes?

mtbr member
    I run clipless.....unless you mean platforms. I believe that there is a pretty good mix of clipless users and platform users in the fatbike community.

mtbr member
    SPD's for me

What I'm looking for is a front 'mud guard' ... any suggestions??

Hope Retainer 30T narrow/wide (ditch front mech etc)
    Tubelsss
    Bars swap to Salsa Bend 2 23°

Name:  927524d1411902415t-daily-fatbike-pic-thread-p1050064.jpg
Views: 12301
Size:  70.7 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Me too. It's hard to hold the smile back while riding this put picking the gravel out of my teeth gets old real fast...

Loser
    Here's my current set up. After trying to find a current picture it really hit me just how much I've changed on this bike.

This is the summer set up, we'll see how much it changes for winter:
    Left grip - ODI after removing the front derailleur and shifter
    Specialized Command Post dropper - this will get changed to a Reverb shortly
    30T N/W Raceface ring
    Salsa stem with rise
    Riser carbon bars (forget the brand, but fairly generic)
    Bluto (100mm) by far the biggest and best change to the bike
    Salsa 150mm front hub
    New spokes to go with the new front wheel
    On One Floater tires set up split tube tubeless - pretty much flawless in operation - I only put on the Floaters because I didn't want to wear out the Ground Controls in the dirt

Stupid fun bike that has taught me a lot about riding, it really has reinvigorated my riding (as new bikes often do).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004 View Post
    SPD's for me

What I'm looking for is a front 'mud guard' ... any suggestions??

Name:  927524d1411902415t-daily-fatbike-pic-thread-p1050064.jpg
Views: 12301
Size:  70.7 KB
    PDW Mudshovel.

Only updates on my bike so far was to have the shop toss the gripshift in favor of x7 triggers before I picked it up.

Was going to go with DLX brakes, but they've been on back order, so the LBS is upgrading my to XT's for the same price - dropping it off today for them to put them on. And since I paid for the brakes when I bought the bike, no labor charge, w00t!
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-image.jpg

current upgrades and setup

rockshox bluto 80mm (best upgrade)
    shimano xt brakes
    shimano icetech 203mm front and 180mm rear rotors
    e.thirteen crankset (replaced for free from specialized)
    rockshox reverb dropper seatpost
    salsa hub (front)
    sram pc1051 chain
    yellow duct tape on rims

soon..
    x0 t2 rear derailleur
    xt cassette
    another set of ground control tires
    Last edited by av8or; 11-08-2014 at 01:29 PM.

Loser
    Did you wear out your GC tires? Curious how many miles in what type of terrain? I'm itching to put mine back on, trying to wait until the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Did you wear out your GC tires? Curious how many miles in what type of terrain? I'm itching to put mine back on, trying to wait until the snow flies.
    i mostly ride my fatboy on the streets here in san diego.. i do 17 miles almost everyday on the road and would ride the trails about 2x a week 20 miles average.. have put about 700 miles since i got "helga" aug 18th.. lots of thread left but just want to keep a set handy just in case..
    Last edited by av8or; 10-04-2014 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone swapped out the original fit (overly heavy) tubes for lightweight ones?

Any feedback welcome

Loser
    I tried lightweight tubes and pinch flatted at low PSI. I have found split tube tubeless to be much more effective. I've had no flats all summer.

mtbr member
    Thanks, yes have been through your threads, and endeavours

Is the fat tubeless advantage worth it for improved ride would you say (flats aside)?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I tried lightweight tubes and pinch flatted at low PSI. I have found split tube tubeless to be much more effective. I've had no flats all summer.
    I was considering giving the tape method a shot, but with the success stories in the Fatboy tubeless thread and talking to my LBS, I'm definitely doing split-tube. They gave tape a couple of tries but ended up going split tube and have done a few Fatboys like this.

So I grabbed some of the 24" tubes and orange seal and will be setting that up when they give me the Fatboy bake with XT brakes.

I also be doing my wife's Pug with tape, not split-tube....but that's another thread.

Digital camo for the rim strips =D

Pictures to come.

Loser
    After saving weight and preventing flats I stopped looking for other reasons to go tubeless. Some say it rides better, not sure I feel that.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I always go tubeless, and did so using Gorilla Tape on a Rabbit Hole rim a few weeks back on another bike with no issues. The Tape does fit 'exactly' into the internal width of the Rabbit Hole rim though

I suppose the biggest rub is the weight of the supplied Spesh tube (Which Spesh says 'came out heavier than expected' although that may have changed)

mtbr member

Edit... Wrong topic 😔

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Any feedback welcome
    I did and really didn't have any problems unless you consider punctures related to the thin walled tubes. Last winter we had the best crust riding in a long time and I found myself getting into some crazy places and picked up a few thorns so punctured the rear twice. The front held out until two weeks ago and I forgot to check air pressure before riding and was too lazy to stop and deal with it when I felt it soft. Of course that's when I pinched.

I probably won't bother going back to Q Lites because the Bontrager tubes have been good so far and aren't that much heavier.

No current pics but -
    Bennies pedals
    EC70 2" rise bar
    Ergon grips
    XO (grip) shifters
    SRAM Guide RSC brakes (awesome!)

mtbr member

Any feedback welcome
    I'm using Specialized 26" x 2.3-3.0". They aren't super light, but I still dropped a solid pound of combined rotating weight.

My Upgrades:
    • Easton Carbon EC70 Seatpost
    • Specialized 90mm Stem
    • SRAM X7 Trigger Shifts & Foam Grips
    • Surly 64mm Wide Orange Rim Strips
    • Specialized 26 x 2.3-3.0" Tubes
    Last edited by pspycho; 09-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    dude, just put the gc's back.. unless you have a tire preference or don't like the tire, i don't understand why you need to put different tires just so you can save your gc's.. you don't know what your'e missing trying to save your tires because you don't want them to wear out.. remember, yesterdays history, tomorrows a mystery and today's a gift.. that's why it's called "present".. so put the gc's back, and ride the s**t out of those tires.. while you are able to.. just buy an extra set..

mtbr member
    First proper ride on the GC's (and Fat Boy) today on my usual trails, which are mainly woodsy and hilly...

Grip levels are off the scale

Especially cornering, but braking and climbing are ridiculous also

I didn't get near the limit on cornering, but I was laughing out loud on a few occasions, thinking I must trust them more and more

I'm still playing with PSi though

I did slip once on a wet root which I rolled over on a sloped angle. I think the tyre's smooth bit, in between the knobs contacted it, so it had nothing to bite on. The tyre (front) slid down and then gripped on some different stuff

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    so put the gc's back, and ride the s**t out of those tires.. while you are able to.. just buy an extra set..
    If the Floaters were a letdown, the GCs would be on the bike in a heartbeat. Likewise if the GCs weren't $160 a tire, I wouldn't be riding the Floaters at all. I gotta make this biking thing work from a cost perspective.

mtbr member

Any feedback welcome
    Yup, I did...my bike didn't make it off the showroom floor with the original tubes or platform pedals. My experience with tubes was, why? Setting up tubeless was pretty easy, I lost a ton of weight and have not had any issues with the tubeless setup on the fatboy. I say go for it. If you'd like to know my process for setting up tubeless, let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If the Floaters were a letdown, the GCs would be on the bike in a heartbeat. Likewise if the GCs weren't $160 a tire, I wouldn't be riding the Floaters at all. I gotta make this biking thing work from a cost perspective.
    yeah, they are expensive but that's not gonna stop me from riding these tires.. a couple of dollars a week, and before you know it, you have enough for one tire.. your set of floaters could have paid for one gc.. then just save for the other.. gc's would last you long enough that by the time they are worn out, you have saved enough for another set.. and then the cycle goes again.. tires get worn out... but your bike.. so, your call..

mtbr member
    Yes, please share. I am very keen to ditch the heavy tubes

Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    Yup, I did...my bike didn't make it off the showroom floor with the original tubes or platform pedals. My experience with tubes was, why? Setting up tubeless was pretty easy, I lost a ton of weight and have not had any issues with the tubeless setup on the fatboy. I say go for it. If you'd like to know my process for setting up tubeless, let me know.

mtbr member
    My first fatbike, which should make my winter a bit more fun.
    upgrades are,
    xt brakes-
    xt cassette-
    xt clipless pedals-
    slx shifter and rd -
    raceface nw 32t chainring-
    raceface atlas 50mm stem-
    raceface atlas bars -
    Diety grips-
    Command dropper post-
    E13 XCX cranks w/E13 BB-
    Chromag moon saddle-
    Glow in the dark rim strips-
    100mm Bluto-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-010.jpg  

Last edited by dhmatt; 11-25-2014 at 05:21 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Went tubeless today, just picked it up the other day from the LBS after they put the XT's on. (Ice tech rotors en route)

Used some digital camo gun wrap for the rim strip, 24x2.25 split tube. Aired up fine with the hand pump and haven't leaked any orange seal yet. Took the air pressure way down and couldn't burp it, so I think it should be good.

Other than that and the x7 triggers, its all stock. No issues with the cranks so far.

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-1003141832a_1.jpg
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-1003141834_1.jpg
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-1003141833a_1.jpg

Future upgrades, that I'm not in any hurry to complete:

Raceface Turbine stem, seatpost
    Carbon bars (Next SL, perhaps)
    Raceface Cinch crank (may go 1x10)
    X9 Type 2 derailleur
    Last edited by jcaino; 10-04-2014 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's me:

Mods so far:

- Race Face Atlas Bars
    - Race Face Atlas Stem
    - Race Face Ride Post
    - Race Face Turbine Cinch (30T) 1x10
    - Shimano XT Cassette
    - OneUp 42T
    - Avid BB7 brakes
    - SRAM X7 Shifter
    - Avid Cleansweep G2 Rotors - 180mm front and rear
    - WTB Pure V Race seat
    - Shimano Saints
    - ODI Locking grips
    - GIANT trail bell, because trail bells are awesome.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Yes, please share. I am very keen to ditch the heavy tubes
    Sorry for the slow reply. I started by taking the tire off the wheel and wiping the rim down with alcohol. The higher the alcohol content the better because it does not contain additives that create residue. For tape, I used some plastic tape that I bought at a warehouse, no label, but it has a sticker that says "Part No. Y65256". I've scoured the internet to find a source to no avail....It's 3" wide and Fatboy Expert "Red"...a bonus. I started by putting the first layer down the middle over the factory rim strip, making sure it was stuck well. Then a layer on each side, making sure to put tape up on the rim sidewall (this is especially important with HuDU tires". Make sure that both the side strips of tape seal well on the center piece, assemble the tire with the factory tube to 20 psi and let sit for at least one hour. Un-seat only one side of the tire and carefully remove the tube and install the tubeless valve stem. Put in two scoops of your favorite sealant, soap the tire up with alot of soap and place the tire horizontal with the 'loose' side hanging down (gravity is your friend). Attach an aircompressor and it should seal. One issue that some people have with leaking tubeless setups is the though of using high pressure to seal. I NEVER exceed 10 psi with my setups, it stresses the tape and creates leak paths, plus I like the lower pressure for racing anyway. A little tip that I have is, I use three milkcrates tie wrapped together as my tire mounting station.....I'll post a pic if needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Here's my guy. I haven't upgraded or changed too much yet. Just added on a quick clip-on rack and we've been fabbing up a frame to build a rear fender with.

I'm posting from my phone, so it looks like it's messing up the pics a bit. My apologies.
    Last edited by fatstash; 10-05-2014 at 08:57 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sounds like other brands of tires, besides the GC's, will fit on the Fatboy rims...such as HuDu's and D8's...is this correct?

mtbr member
    @ jack - thanks for posting that.

Sounds pretty much identical to what I have done, except I used 50mm Gorilla Tape.

Three strips (minus the rim strip, so straight onto the rim) first middle one facing up, then other tow each side. More of what I did here

I like what you say about keeping psi low. I did go to 20 while soap leak testing, but will keep that lower in future

5 rides on the tubeless now and it's held

Cheers

Loser
    There are plenty of people who have been successful with Gorilla tape, I am not one. Other than to seat the bead I never had my tires over 10PSI, but the Stans still got under the tape - I didn't do the middle strip upside down thing though.

mtbr member

Got mine last thursday and have swapped the handlebar, seatpost and stem for highend ritchey parts, brakes to slx, saddle to a slr carbon and the rim strips to the blue surly.
    As in picture it weighs 14kgs.
    Waiting for the speci xd drive body then will swap the back end to a xo1 cassette and derailleur with a xo1 gripshift and a raceface blue 30t chainring up front on the original crank.
    After reading the horror stories this morning about said crank i checked mine and it was fine so applied more than enough copper paste and did it up again to 34nm which seem alright, not sure what is supposed to be. when i change the chainring i will pull the lot off and repack the bearings with a good grease and copper paste the rest.
    Future plans after that lot will be hope hubs and a rs bluto fork, but after the princess gives the go ahead, not scared just smart
    I maybe getting older but i refuse to grow up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Any feedback welcome
    Yup. Using the Specialized 26 x 2.3 - 3.0 tubes. Dropped almost a pound per wheel. No problems whatsoever. Running anywhere between 4# and 12# pressure, depending on application. Summertime riding everything from commuting on pavement, to xc rides through roots and rocks with tech climbs, to AM/DH type stuff ripping through baby heads and roots, with small (under 3') drops and jumps thrown in for good measure. I did try squaring off a turn in a berm (7 psi at the time) and the tire did move and had a bit of a wiggle in the tread for the rest of the ride. Got home, deflated the tire, aired it back up and the tread is straight again. I am 5'11" and 175#, ride aggressively, especially considering what the Fatboy was actually designed for.

Just learn to ride smooth. If you plow through stuff with disregard for line, and expect the bike to save you, then you'll probably get pinch flats with tubes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    2014 Specialized Fatboy Comp (Yellow/Goldish), 1 x 10 (28 x 11-42).

Bar: RaceFace Next
    Stem: RaceFace Atlas 50mm
    Spacers: FSA Carbon
    Grip: Lizard Skinz Steve Peat lockon (left side)
    Shifter: SRAM GripShift (right side)
    Saddle: Chromag Linx DT
    Seat Post: RaceFace Next
    Tubes: Specialized 26" 2.3-3.0
    Pedals: FireEye P.J.ACr
    Cranks: RaceFace Next SL 175mm / RaceFace Next BB
    Ring: RaceFace NW 28t Direct
    Cassette: SRAM 10-70 with 1Up 42t/16t
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 Type 2 Medium Cage
    Chain: SRAM 1091 Hollowpin
    Summer Tires: Specialized Ground Control 26 x 4.6
    Winter Tires: 45NRTH Dillinger 5 26 x 4.8 (studded)

Summer weight: ~27# without pedals.

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-20141005_112030.jpg
    Last edited by iscariot; 10-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rss26Roger View Post
    Sounds like other brands of tires, besides the GC's, will fit on the Fatboy rims...such as HuDu's and D8's...is this correct?
    Yup, I've mounted and ran HuDu's on my stock rims….and they were setup tubeless. After 16 miles I went back to the GC's….they ride much better at race speeds.

Loser
    I am replacing the Command Post with a Reverb (I like the infinite stop aspect of the Reverb). This remote does not play nice with the brakes on the Expert Fatboy! Either my brake lever or my Reverb remote is going to be out of position (I always have run my dropper remote on the right side). I think a left upside down would be in the wrong spot too. Ugh, sucko, I guess new brakes are next on the list :-D

mtbr member
    I did the tubeless thing with the Scotch transparant tape . Worked really well , no leaks or losing air. No upgrades yet besides going tubeless . Did swap the spacers for a carbon one

mtbr member
    Ok boys...lots of great rigs on this thread. As an update to the capabilities of this bike, this past weekend I won the CAT 2 50+ OMBC Championship round at Mohican State Park. I was the only fatbike in the class and beat some pretty good Ohio riders. This is turning into my favorite bike! For reference, the race was 27 miles, 3900 ft of climbing and I did it in 2 hours, 26 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-2014-mohican-fatbike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    2014 Specialized Fatboy Comp (Yellow/Goldish), 1 x 10 (28 x 11-42).

Bar: RaceFace Next
    Stem: RaceFace Atlas 50mm
    Spacers: FSA Carbon
    Grip: Lizard Skinz Steve Peat lockon (left side)
    Shifter: SRAM GripShift (right side)
    Saddle: Chromag Linx DT
    Seat Post: RaceFace Next
    Tubes: Specialized 26" 2.3-3.0
    Pedals: FireEye P.J.ACr
    Cranks: RaceFace Next SL 175mm / RaceFace Next BB
    Ring: RaceFace NW 28t Direct
    Cassette: SRAM 10-70 with 1Up 42t/16t
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 Type 2 Medium Cage
    Chain: SRAM 1091 Hollowpin
    Summer Tires: Specialized Ground Control 26 x 4.6
    Winter Tires: 45NRTH Dillinger 5 26 x 4.8 (studded)

Summer weight: ~27# without pedals.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141005_112030.jpg 
Views:	810 
Size:	149.2 KB 
ID:	929040
    Nice bike- glad you mentioned the Dillingers, reminded me to swing by my LBS yesterday. They had just got a shipment in and I picked up a pair of 5's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok boys...lots of great rigs on this thread. As an update to the capabilities of this bike, this past weekend I won the CAT 2 50+ OMBC Championship round at Mohican State Park. I was the only fatbike in the class and beat some pretty good Ohio riders. This is turning into my favorite bike! For reference, the race was 27 miles, 3900 ft of climbing and I did it in 2 hours, 26 minutes.
    Hey Jack, remember, it not so much the bike as it is the rider. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    JCkdz how about a drive side pic love the build!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    JCkdz how about a drive side pic love the build!
    Here ya go.....Pretty dusty as this is after a 3 hour race.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-fatboy-10.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kunkel View Post
    Hey Jack, remember, it not so much the bike as it is the rider. Congrats!
    Stephen....Agreed, the 'motor' has a lot to do with it. My point was, that this bike is a very capable XC racer. I absolutely love this bike.....my back up is an S-Works Epic 29er :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks great! I am on the fence pro vs. expert. I am leaning Expert as I don't need the dropper. How do you like the wolf tooth?

mtbr member
    The wolftooth has been very good....I have it on two bikes. While it's not shimano buttery smoove....considering that it goes from 36 to 42 teeth, it is very good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Nice bike- glad you mentioned the Dillingers, reminded me to swing by my LBS yesterday. They had just got a shipment in and I picked up a pair of 5's.
    Nice. The paddles down the center look like they'll move snow well. The side lugs are well supported and look like they'll dig too. The round hollow studs are supposed to provide more surface area for grip on ice. Can't wait to give them a try in the snow. The rubber seems soft, so I don't wanna run them in the plus 15C to 20C we've been getting here lately. I know that keeping edges and sipes fresh is critical to snow/ice grip.

I found the Dillinger 5's are narrower and shorter than the Ground Controls, the Bud and Lou, and the Snowshoe XL. I don't mind this as I want float, but I also don't want to be pushing against so much snow (because of more width) in fresh conditions (you'd be surprised how fast the resistance builds when you're trying to plow through deep fresh on super wide tires), that it bogs me down. I think the Dillinger 5 fills the spot nicely.

On a side note, Specialized hit it out of the park with the Ground Controls for a summer tire. Little to zero self steer at any pressure above about 4 psi. Great grip like a billy goat on the climbs, that sheds debris, rails corners, and is stable through chuck and chunder. Although they could definitely fit tighter on the rim. Squared off a corner coming out of a burm and put a significant wiggle in the rubber as it moved on the rim...at 7 psi. Now running about 10 psi to keep the tire in place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Can't wait to try out the Dillinger's in the snow either! I was debating between these and a Bud/Lou combo, but I wanted studs for some grip on all the ice that seems to build up by mid winter. Studding Bud/Lou's seemed like it would make a heavy tire even heavier and would cost more for less studs. I'm hoping the Dillinger 5's make for a nice all around winter tire.

mtbr member
    Digital camo tape? Awesome. I have the green spec FB ordered. Where are you getting the camp tape from? Can you send me a pic once completed? Thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I finally had to swap my grip shifters for x9 triggers, too. I put on some ergonomic grips also and comfort has vastly approved.

mtbr member
    Hello!

My 2015 Fatboy I designed, as you can see it on the pictures.

-other finish
    -800mm wide handlebar with short stem
    -Brooks saddle (very convenient!)
    -Lefty
    -bottle holder
    -Bell by Crane-Japan (beautiful sound!)
    -Conversion to only one chainring (30T race face)
    -rear 10x cassette 11-42 (e * thirteen 42T)
    -"Suicide circuit" at the seat clamp (silver without grid)

Coming Soon: BMX crank (KHE Hindenburg) and Magura MT5 200mm f / r

I hope you like it. I am very satisfied. It goes better with the changes for my needs a lot. particularly lefty, wide handlebars and stem are short pleasant.

Dear greetings from Germany!

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0007.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0009.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0010.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0015.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0020.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0021.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks AWESOME.

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Holy Fat Contraption

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011

Fatboy changes

Fatboy bought in July. Replaced:

Saddle -- WTB
    Brakes -- XT, with Dirty Dog dragon 203 mm rotors
    Fork -- 80 mm Bluto
    FSA headset
    90 mm stem replace 60 mm stock
    Front wheel -- 150 mm hub to fit Bluto, with Clownshoe rim
    Cassette -- 11-36 XT, but with 42 tooth Wolf cog
    Candy pedals
    Surly black rim strips, as cut outs are different front and back

Have about worn out the rear tire, so replacing it with a Lou this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2116.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2038.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_1970.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2033.jpg  

I can't think of anything witty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seventh-777 View Post
    That looks AWESOME.
    Holy Fat Contraption

Thank you for your feedback signal. I hope you like it. I think so in about 2 months I'll be ready with the tag. Unfortunately, there is always a very expensive hobby, but it's incredibly fun and joy!

Chris!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jtawausau View Post
    Digital camo tape? Awesome. I have the green spec FB ordered. Where are you getting the camp tape from? Can you send me a pic once completed? Thank you
    See the previous page for the pictures. Here's the stuff....its -just- wide enough for the fatboy rims if you take care.

https://www.mcnett.com/tactical/camoform#19412

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    "Ok boys...lots of great rigs on this thread. As an update to the capabilities of this bike, this past weekend I won the CAT 2 50+ OMBC Championship round at Mohican State Park. I was the only fatbike in the class and beat some pretty good Ohio riders. This is turning into my favorite bike! For reference, the race was 27 miles, 3900 ft of climbing and I did it in 2 hours, 26 minutes."

Jack, Awesome Man!!! Congrats!

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Thought the GCs were big and narly. Replaced the rear with a Lou. Holy cow - it makes the GCs look wimpy. Really big with huge lugs. Fits fine, but barely.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixed View Post
    Thought the GCs were big and narly. Replaced the rear with a Lou. Holy cow - it makes the GCs look wimpy. Really big with huge lugs. Fits fine, but barely.
    Got a pic of the tyre in the rear?

mtbr member
    Fatboy bought in July. Replaced:
    Fork -- 80 mm Bluto
    This rig is making me want a bluto….can you tell me how much weight this adds?

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    This rig is making me want a bluto….can you tell me how much weight this adds?
    Wild guess, Bluto is about 3.5 pounds and stock carbon fork is 2 pounds?

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    Any way to post pics from an iphone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jackdz my frame just came in build starts next week. Bluto has been ordered. Do you still have your front derailleur mounting hardware?

My build is going to be mostly xt with xtr brakes. If I love it then HED's next year....

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011

Lou pix

Lou on rear of Fatboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-tire2.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-tire3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the Bluto adds 2 pounds. But you shave that off with HED's, right? I tested the Fatboy with the Bluto and w/o. I was hitting stuff with more speed and not being bounced off the pedals with the Bluto. Felt like when I got my first Rock Shox way back in the mid 90's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHSAD View Post
    Jackdz my frame just came in build starts next week. Bluto has been ordered. Do you still have your front derailleur mounting hardware?
    CHSAD, Yeah, I still have all the front derailleur hardware…I'm still skeptical on the Bluto…I really like the 'flick-a-bility" of the lightweight build….but my old man wrists do feel it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well I was thinking lightweight at first but I have my epic for that. I noticed the rigid fork in my shoulders at first. It will be nice to still have the rigid fork if I want to go that way.

If you get a chance can you shoot a pic of the hardware for the front der? I am going to have source it as the frameset doesn't come with it.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    The tightest clearance is the chain/tire. In low gear, there is about 1 mm clearance, but it works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The tightest clearance is the chain/tire. In low gear, there is about 1 mm clearance, but it works.

Again, pics pls..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Nice bike. Does anyone run clipless pedals on fat bikes?
    due to the riding I do, I have a set of pedals that are SPD on one side and cleated on the other, not super light, but works good

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just picked it up today...so no time to do much yet...

Surly blue rim strips
    MTX Beam Rack E-Type
    MTX Side Rails
    Specialized blue bottle holder

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-dsc_0111.jpgFatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-dsc_0103.jpgFatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-dsc_0108.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    you need to get rid of those wheel reflectors.. seriously

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    you need to get rid of those wheel reflectors.. seriously
    Just got it home, so give me a day :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    And the dork disk....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    Just got it home, so give me a day :-)
    mine came off before it left the lbs.. wheel and pedal reflectors..

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    mine came off before it left the lbs.. wheel and pedal reflectors..
    I'm a noob and wasn't smart enough to ask I suppose. Figure the stock pedals are the next thing to go...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    I'm a noob and wasn't smart enough to ask I suppose. Figure the stock pedals are the next thing to go...
    Don't sweat it dude, we were all noobs at one point and did they same type of stuff. Continue reading the forum and enjoy that Fatboy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread

Just picked up mine over the weekend. Have yet to really ride it, let alone put the pedals on. Cannot wait though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    what hub spacers did you use to fit the bluto?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpri View Post
    what hub spacers did you use to fit the bluto?
    Assuming you are replying to forum user "Fixed", go read his post again, he replaced the entire front wheel with a 150mm hub and clowshoe rim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I heard there is a way to use the existing hub by adding some spacers and different bearings. Here's what I found
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414074551.414127.jpg
Views: 4150
Size:  89.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414074587.183155.jpg
Views: 4178
Size:  96.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414074605.352131.jpg
Views: 4133
Size:  71.4 KB

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbpri View Post
    I heard there is a way to use the existing hub by adding some spacers and different bearings. Here's what I found
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414074551.414127.jpg
Views: 4150
Size:  89.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414074587.183155.jpg
Views: 4178
Size:  96.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414074605.352131.jpg
Views: 4133
Size:  71.4 KB
    That looks easier than buying a new hub and relacing a wheel.... Where did you find that guide?

Loser
    Hmm, the wheel was pretty easy to build, think I'd rather do that than that conversion, but that's just me

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hmm, the wheel was pretty easy to build, think I'd rather do that than that conversion, but that's just me
    I'm with you. That "conversion" looks like a problem waiting to happen.

mtbr member
    Post - KS Lev
    Pedals - Canfield Crampon Ultimate
    Brakes - BB7
    Fork - Bluto 80mm
    Wheels - Hope Fatsno hubs & Sun Ringle MuleFut tubeless (built by mikesee)
    Shifter - XTR (10 speed)
    Derailleur - XT (10 speed)
    Cassette - XT (10 speed)
    Chain - XT
    Chainring - Raceface 30T
    Seat - WTB Rocket V SLT
    Bars - Easton Haven Carbon
    Grips - Lizard Skins
    Cranks - Stock
    Stem - Stock
    Headset - Stock
    Tires - Stock except running tubeless

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-926750d1408020331-demod-fat-boy-today-still-torn-about-rigid-vs-bluto-20140813_192415.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I am waiting for the next shipment of fatboy into Australia and am tossing up between the fatboy and the expert. Considering I would make a few upgrades fairly promptly, the 1st bein Xt brakes, I am leaning towards the standard fatboy in the orange( to match my 1997 S works) I have some 690mm carbon bars, are these considered wide enough for a fatboy? will try the std seat but I love Flite saddles so one will go on. XT spd's and will attempt tubeless if I can get rim tape suitable.
    This will be my 1st fat bike and am looking forward to low tide runs on my local beaches, can go 10km in one direction and 8km in the other. Any tips for a newby will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fletchog View Post
    I am waiting for the next shipment of fatboy into Australia and am tossing up between the fatboy and the expert. Considering I would make a few upgrades fairly promptly, the 1st bein Xt brakes, I am leaning towards the standard fatboy in the orange( to match my 1997 S works) I have some 690mm carbon bars, are these considered wide enough for a fatboy? will try the std seat but I love Flite saddles so one will go on. XT spd's and will attempt tubeless if I can get rim tape suitable.
    This will be my 1st fat bike and am looking forward to low tide runs on my local beaches, can go 10km in one direction and 8km in the other. Any tips for a newby will be appreciated.
    Welcome aboard the fat bike train! I think you have a solid plan for your bike. I started with the Expert, but the only thing left is the frame, fork and wheels. I would have been better off buying the frame and building it right the first time.

As for the handlebar question, check out this thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...th-935724.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Got my Fatboy 2 weeks ago and after 100 miles 7k of climbing. This bike became my fav bike. Awesome rig.Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-image.jpg
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    ^^ liking the yellows

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks like its going to be an Expert, no Fatbos until Dec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Fatboy Pro

Upgrades:

XX1 Shifter, derailleur and Cassette
    Answer 20/20 bar
    Easton Haven Stem
    Whiskey Carbon Rims with Hope Fatsno hubs set up tubeless.
    Hudu rear tire for now, but may go back to GC.
    Syntace Carbon post alternates with Command post depending upon terrain.

mtbr member
    very nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I got mine yesterday. How much air (psi) should I put in for the front and back tire. Thanks.Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-fboy.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I usually run 8psi or so for general off road riding. Much more and it gets too bouncy. Less and I worry about pinch flats and/or denting a rim.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Deposit paid on an Expert, last one Specialized have in Oz, hopefully have it by the w/e.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-fatboy.jpgThank you,Paochow. And you weigh ~ 150 lb ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    About 175 ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Mods so far on my Fatboy Expert:

tubeless - 3M tape w/ Orange Seal - the best mod, by far
    Easton EC70 720 mm carbon bar
    Easton EA70 70mm stem, 6 deg down
    Easton EA70 seatpost
    Ritchey WCS Marathon saddle

and bought a 0-15 psi gauge, highly recommended

...looking for a set of studded tires for the winter, probably 45NRTH

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Picking up a FB tomorrow evening.
    Are there recommendations on quality sites with great prices for mods?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Test ride.

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-fboy-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaciousd View Post
    Picking up a FB tomorrow evening.
    Are there recommendations on quality sites with great prices for mods?
    Your LBS

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Double post

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cycloxer13 View Post
    Mods so far on my Fatboy Expert:

tubeless - 3M tape w/ Orange Seal - the best mod, by far
    Easton EC70 720 mm carbon bar
    Easton EA70 70mm stem, 6 deg down
    Easton EA70 seatpost
    Ritchey WCS Marathon saddle

and bought a 0-15 psi gauge, highly recommended

...looking for a set of studded tires for the winter, probably 45NRTH
    Can you recommend the gauge you purchased?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Picked mine up tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahic View Post
    Can you recommend the gauge you purchased?
    I have this one:

Amazon.com : SKS Airchecker Digital Presta and Schrader Pressure Gauge : Bike Pack Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

and this one:

Tire Pressure Gage Schrader Presta Michelin MN 4606B Digital Bicycle Auto | eBay

When using the Michelin, it's best to lubricate the end of the gauge as there is an o-ring that can pull out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-210b04c2aab9d3234ac4288fddcbaa83.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-2c28ed23f995e1d6e85873871143f444.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-870646d5650a3a9918ae79b6bb200e93.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-ce3518735511d20ae7f08f2b37b592ac.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    +1 crohnsy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    a day at the beach

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Banged out 35km on the fatty this am. so much fun, lots of wooden stairs to access beach in my area. now have a great route going up the shallow ones a little allong the top path then down the longer sets, bit of rock/reef riding to get around a bluff. Am totally stocked with my expert. Will replace the grips with esi chunky's, tossing up whether to go with a set of RXL carbon bars I have that are 700mm, so a bit narrower.

mtbr member
    Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance

0-15 psi analog Meiser gauge - measures in 1/4 # increments. 15 bucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

FB tubes.

Pls help me to find tubes for the Fatboy. I'd like to get lighter one. Thank you.

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-firstsnow.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toldto View Post
    Pls help me to find tubes for the Fatboy. I'd like to get lighter one. Thank you.

Name:	firstsnow.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	936836
    Specialized 26 x 2.3 - 3.0" Tubes. I am using them now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No Snow here in Calif but we got nasty hills. No prob with Fatty.Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-image.jpg
    Santa Cruz TallBoy 2
    Trek 4.7 Maddone
    Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    Specialized 26 x 2.3 - 3.0" Tubes. I am using them now.
    Thanks, pspycho. where can I find them ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ERDOK View Post
    No Snow here in Calif but we got nasty hills. No prob with Fatty.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	936873
    Proof positive that the tires do grip like velcro!
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Proof positive that the tires do grip like velcro!

good one

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My LBS told me not worth going tubeless on fatboy as bead does not hold well on low tire pressure. I want to go tubeless for weight and flat sealant. What experiences have you guys had?

Loser
    I've been tubeless on my Fatboy since February of last year. I burped air exactly once when I was riding sub 5PSI. In my experience the Fatboy rims are excellent for going tubeless. I used split tube, after several failures of gorilla tape, but people have been successful with tape and other solutions.

mtbr member

I have no problems after several weeks tubeles. Use the Scotch transparant DuctTape .
    Upgrades so far : carbon headset spacer , carbon seatpost collar and handlebar , went tubeless and swapped the Tektro's for Deore's. Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1415278454.239032.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toldto View Post
    Thanks, pspycho. where can I find them ?
    Your LBS? People are using a similar sized QTubes brand with success as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Your LBS? People are using a similar sized QTubes brand with success as well.
    Thanks. I could not find them in LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just a question for all fatboy riders

How high/low do you run your bars in relation to your saddle height.

After many yrs on rd and XC racing I tend to have mine a fair way below my seat. I guess it is going to be trial and error, I have a set of 700mm carbon flat bars I can throw on but wondering what you experienced fatties think.

Is a wider riser bar an advantage? or should I run a similar width to my 29er race bike?
    Last edited by fletchog; 11-09-2014 at 02:34 AM. Reason: posted to fatboy thread

mtbr member
    If you set it up properly, tubeless works excellent on the Fatboy.

I am running 1 layer of 3M Tough Transparent tape on the front with no problems. This tire has 4 oz. of Stans. I am running 1 thicker layer of Nashua UL Duct Tape on the rear (which is slightly heavier) with no problems. This tire has 4 oz. of Orange Seal.

I typically run 6-7 psi, though I ran as low as 3.5 psi in testing.

The biggest difficulty is sealing the seam of the rim. My rear wheel was more problematic in this regard, but I did get it with more tape overlap. You also have good coverage over your vent holes.

As for bar stem, I swapped out the stock units for a flat carbon 720mm Easton bar and I'm running this with a neg 6 degree 70 mm EA70 stem. This puts my bars in a lower position more akin to that of an XC race bike. I am 5'8 running a Medium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you set it up properly, tubeless works excellent on the Fatboy.

I am running 1 layer of 3M Tough Transparent tape on the front with no problems. This tire has 4 oz. of Stans. I am running 1 thicker layer of Nashua UL Duct Tape on the rear (which is slightly heavier) with no problems. This tire has 4 oz. of Orange Seal.

I typically run 6-7 psi, though I ran as low as 3.5 psi in testing.

The biggest difficulty is sealing the seam of the rim. My rear wheel was more problematic in this regard, but I did get it with more tape overlap. You also have good coverage over your vent holes.

As for bar stem, I swapped out the stock units for a flat carbon 720mm Easton bar and I'm running this with a neg 6 degree 70 mm EA70 stem. This puts my bars in a lower position more akin to that of an XC race bike. I am 5'8 running a Medium.
    Why heavier tape on rear, 3M not work? Also why stans front and orange rear?
    Is tape better then split tube?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Christ D View Post
    I have no problems after several weeks tubeles. Use the Scotch transparant DuctTape .
    Upgrades so far : carbon headset spacer , carbon seatpost collar and handlebar , went tubeless and swapped the Tektro's for Deore's. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415278454.239032.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	385.8 KB 
ID:	936971

Stans or Orange, does it matter? Heard some say it eats thru duct tape, not sure about 3M.

mtbr member
    I like the Orange Seal better. Why? I think it seals leaks better and faster. I just think it is a slightly better product. As for eating through the tape, I have heard this too, but I have not had my setup going that long.

The key to making the Fatboy work is to seal very carefully around the vent holes and th rim seams. This causes all of the problems. On my rear wheel, the seam was so poor that I resorted to taping all of the way up the vertical of the rim. This took a little more care with the tape, but it worked perfectly. If too much sealant gets into the seam, it works its way into the rim and then it undermines your tape job and everything goes to hell. I know because I failed on several tape jobs with my rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Posted this on another thread.. Anyway, my puller cap was lost on one of my rides and lbs ordered me a whole new crankset since they cannot just get the cap... Lo and behold specialized upgraded my crankset and sent an e.thirteen, the one the expert uses.. For free!!! Aesthetically, it looks way better than samox.. With all my upgrades so far, all i need to replace is my rear deurailler to xo and it's already an expert if not more.. Since i have bluto and xt brakes, 206mm f and 180 r, and reverb dropper seatpost..

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
    Stans or Orange, does it matter? Heard some say it eats thru duct tape, not sure about 3M.
    Stans. Don't know if it matters. No issues so far.

mtbr member
    Just had to re do the rear after 6 weeks. The Stans had worked it's way under the tape and lifted it in places. That was with a 3 strip (of 50mm) arrangement

Now put a 4th strip in the middle over the other 3, and left a tube in overnight in a warm room.

The fluid has really got a long way to go now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just had to re do the rear after 6 weeks. The Stans had worked it's way under the tape and lifted it in places. That was with a 3 strip (of 50mm) arrangement

Now put a 4th strip in the middle over the other 3, and left a tube in overnight in a warm room.

The fluid has really got a long way to go now.
    Did you use the 3M duct tape or something else?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Swapped out the std bars for a set of Bontrager RXL 690mm carbon bars which came off my Superfly, a garmin out front mount, a Thompson elite layback post and Flite carbonio.

mtbr member
    Did you use the 3M duct tape or something else?
    50mm wide Gorilla tape

mtbr member

Good job!

Single Ring 30T Blackspire narrow wide on the Fatboy Expert e*thirteen stock crank. I tried a direct mount e*thirteen ring, which looked super slick, but the chainline was not quite right at 66. This setup has a 72-73 mm chainline which is a better match for our 190 rear hub. It works flawlessly btw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_20141108_140025.jpg  

'15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hey guys I need some brake pads for my deore brakes for the rear...anyone replace there yet? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barry1me View Post
    hey guys I need some brake pads for my deore brakes for the rear...anyone replace there yet? Any recommendations?
    I had brake problems, on the Expert, kept fouling up to the point of almost not working and shuddering-screeching. I think the problem was it came with sintered pads and the disks are rated for resin only.
    Running resin now, all good. The resin pads I put in definately look different to the original ones

Dual Squishy...
    Anyone know the stem lengths on the FatBoys? I am about to land a FatBoy Pro and there are no marking on the stem, and nothing on Specialized's website. Size M is the one I am looking at, and it looks like a 50mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The stock med I rode had a 60mm and a large had a 70mm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnut22 View Post
    Anyone know the stem lengths on the FatBoys? I am about to land a FatBoy Pro and there are no marking on the stem, and nothing on Specialized's website. Size M is the one I am looking at, and it looks like a 50mm.
    It's 60mm on the Medium:

Specialized Bicycle Components

Dual Squishy...
    It's 60mm on the Medium:

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Thanks! I was looking at the specs trying to find it.

mtbr member
    Somebody asked why I preferred Orange Seal to Stans. I have one wheel set up with each. I popped the bead today and the Orange Seal was still liquid after a month. The Stans had this rubber booger, but it only weighed 4 grams, so I took it out, added a little more Stans and kept rolling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_20141111_141657338_hdr.jpg  

'15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Somebody asked why I preferred Orange Seal to Stans. I have one wheel set up with each. I popped the bead today and the Orange Seal was still liquid after a month. The Stans had this rubber booger, but it only weighed 4 grams, so I took it out, added a little more Stans and kept rolling.
    That's my beef with Stans. All the stuff that makes up the Stans Boogers is the stuff that is supposed to help clog up a puncture.

At this point, I've had 2 punctures in as many years having gone tubeless. One with Stans in a Larry that just wouldn't seal. The Stans was around the same age as yours, opening the tire revealed a nice big booger. Spun the tire, tried riding, everything....it just kept spraying air and Stans.

Had a nearly identical puncture a couple week on my wife's bike with Nates and Orange Seal. The Orange Seal was about 3 week old. It sealed right up within about 15 seconds and was good to go. Barely lost any air, either.

We'll see how everything fares after winter, but so far, I'm happier with Orange Seal.

mtbr member
    Did some parts swapping with my old full suspension today, and picked up some new goodies.

Crank Brothers Iodine carbon bars:

XT Brakes w/Avid HSX 2-piece rotors, 180MM front and rear:

Spank spikes:

Weight w/pedals, one stock tube and one Surly tube and a race face seat post (have a crank brothers carbon on the way):

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    I just bought a Fatboy Expert 2015 yesterday and went tubeless... Stock tubes were 470 grams each, red rimstrips 52g each.

Replaced these with: 1 layer of 1.88 Gorilla tape upside down as the rimstrip, 3 layers of 50mm wide vapour barrier tape and 3 scoops of Stan's per tire.
    I applied the vapour barrier tape 2 layers to the edges and then 1 layer to center. With some stretching, It was very easy to apply without any wrinkles.

Seems to work fine and rolls noticeably better with low psi, long term test results to follow... I didn't want to go the Gorilla tape way after reading bad long-term reviews.

mtbr member
    Looks good - let us know how if fairs longer term

My Gorilla Tape only 3 strip method lasted 6 weeks

Edit: currently on the Gorilla 4 strip: three strips as before with a 4th final one in the middle - went up straight away and has not leaked at all - yet - , which the 3 strip did
    Last edited by bonesetter2004; 11-13-2014 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Here's my long-term review: It was not a good idea. Vapour barrier tape doesn't like Stan's sealant at all, started leaking after 6 hours...

Back to inner tubes and 600g more rotating mass...

mtbr member
    I've said it before (a couple of times) , use the Scotch Transparant Duct Tape . Mine holds air and doesn't leak for weeks now. And the wheels have gone through mud and water a couple of times.
    Tubeless Fatbike Conversion Update | Cycles In Life

Loser
    ...or split tube.

mtbr member
    I've said it before (a couple of times) , use the Scotch Transparant Duct Tape . Mine holds air and doesn't leak for weeks now. And the wheels have gone through mud and water a couple of times.
    At the risk of being pinikety (things are sometimes lost in the typing) can I ask exactly how many weeks and what you mean by going through mud & water a couple of times

mtbr member

About 5 weeks now. What i meant was that my rims have been very wet , hubdeep river crossing , and the Scotch tape is still firmly attached to the rim/rimstrip.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plussa View Post
    Here's my long-term review: It was not a good idea. Vapour barrier tape doesn't like Stan's sealant at all, started leaking after 6 hours...

Back to inner tubes and 600g more rotating mass...
    Fwiw...While I used split-tube on my Fatboy, I used Tyvek barrier tape on my wife's Pug w/ Rolling Darryls. Two strips, overlapping in the center. Put a tube in and let go overnight to set the tape.

No leaks or any other issues over the last 3 months. Used Orange Seal.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Fwiw...While I used split-tube on my Fatboy, I used Tyvek barrier tape on my wife's Pug w/ Rolling Darryls. Two strips, overlapping in the center. Put a tube in and let go overnight to set the tape.

No leaks or any other issues over the last 3 months. Used Orange Seal.
    Yes , Tyvek and Orange Seal get's the job done too. Friend of mine in the US used this with succes also.

ybbeaten
    Anyone try 100mm clownshoe rims on the Fatboy? Just curious
    Ride to work and work to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Did you add rim tape?

mtbr member
    Did you add rim tape?
    Follow the link and do it like in the description.

mtbr member extraordinair
    I upgraded the theme of mine a little bit

Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    The BMX crank unit is now installed. This went very well and without problems. The 48 spline axle is 19mm and comes from PROFILE. The crank arms (also PROFILE) I have elected to 160mm. This I have more ground clearance and a narrower stance. For me very pleasantly.

The PROFILE chainring has 25 teeth and is perfectly adequate for my strength & endurance. Only now do I use more often the smaller sprocket of the rear cassette.
    The pedals are now significantly more stringent and more than like the old plastic. They are SUPER STAR and fit in my opinion quite well with the rest.

By chrome crank arms I have now permanently no more ugly abrasion.
    The holder and the cable routing from front derailleur I have now sawn off and repainted.

Greetings from Dresden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0009.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0012.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0008.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-foto-0007.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
    I upgraded the theme of mine a little bit

How sexist. Love it.

Last, not lost.
    Jul 2010

My Ride

Upgrades completed.
    BB7s - SD7s
    EC70 low rise carbon bar
    Thomson Setback seatpost
    WTB Pure V - It's what I like
    Redid the rear hub bearings.
    X7 trigger shifter - ditched the left
    32T Wolftooth Chainring
    Sram Cassette
    XT skewer ends on the stocks - it is lighter and easier to grab.
    BioKork Grips
    Tubeless with Pegasus tape - working very well.

I may replace crankset with a the Next and direct mount 30T or do the 40t/16 in the rear. Unsure about that. I finger shifted to the 22 today for a climb and that was certainly the cheaper option. Just haven't gotten around to removing it yet.
    Last edited by one4teen; 11-30-2014 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    SRAM XX1 1x11 with Blackspire 30T on the e*thirteen cranks, just finished getting it dialed.

tomorrow, we are revisiting tubeless with this 4" Nashua Pro Duct Tape
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_20141114_211545282.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_20141114_211610662.jpg  

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_20141114_213158718_hdr.jpg  

'15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    New saddle. I've only taken it on a short ride but so far so good.

2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Fatboy in Boise

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img-20141114-00384.jpg

Bought this Fatboy in July. Been waiting for snow ever since and slowly upgrading. I owned the Boise Greenbelt yesterday after an early season snowfall. Couldn't be happier with the Fatboy.

UPGRADES
    RaceFace- Next carbon seat post, Next carbon bar, Speed V gel saddle (yes I realize this undid all the weight loss from the post, but I need it)

Ritchey 32 degree 80 mm stem. I'm old, can't be bent over too much.

1x10 conversion using Samox crank and a RF 104 BCD 30 tooth, narrow-wide chain ring. Will go with Next SL crank with 28 tooth direct mount if I can figure out which parts to order.

Shimano XTR cassette (Ti cogs- huge weight loss)

Q tubes, ESI grips, Xpedo pedals (279 gms total). Stuck with the gripshift. I have always liked them. The light is a cheap Cateye. I have a nice NiteRider 1200 lumen light, but it isn't dark enough yet on my commute to need it. I took too many links out of the chain when I went to 1x10 as is obvious in the photo. Gotta fix that. Any chain recommendations?

Upgrades- not sure which to do. Brakes? XTs are better, but are they any lighter? I only ride snow at this point and do not need great brakes. Although the Tectros are pretty squeely when wet. Probably try a tubeless conversion. I think Fatboy may be under 27 pounds as is, for sure it's under 28 according to a not so accurate scale I have. I have wanted a real fatbike ever since my 2.4" snowcat rim days back in the 90s. 4.6" tires were unthinkable back then.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

First snow ride for this season..

First snow ride for this season..
    No probs.. Except for a wet back side.
    Gotta get some fenders.
    Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Post - KS Lev
    Shifter - XTR (10 speed)
    Chainring - Raceface 30T

Name:	926750d1408020331-demod-fat-boy-today-still-torn-about-rigid-vs-bluto-20140813_192415.jpg 
Views:	3412 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	933588
    Hi,

Has anyone who's done the 30T Raceface Narrow/Wide had to buy the spacer shims or does it work without them? I'm going "1 x 10.5" with the OneUp 42T (+16T Cog) conversion kit and the Raceface 30T N/W upfront.

Also for those folks who have done this, did you have to get a new chain or were the number of links good?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I ran a 1x10 before I went full-on 1x11. Any of the 30T narrow wide front rings mounted on the oem crank will put the chainline near perect. (Technically it is off by 1-2 mm, but it is pretty close to the middle of the cassette.)

On my medium, the bike came with 55 links. When I bumped up to 30-42, I needed 56 links for proper chain length.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ran a 1x10 before I went full-on 1x11. Any of the 30T narrow wide front rings mounted on the oem crank will put the chainline near perect. (Technically it is off by 1-2 mm, but it is pretty close to the middle of the cassette.)

On my medium, the bike came with 55 links. When I bumped up to 30-42, I needed 56 links for proper chain length.
    Whats involved in going XX1or XO1?
    Do you need a new rear hub or does the 11spd freewheel fit the std specialised hub?, I have the Fatboy Expert.
    Then it is cassette, rear mech and shifter plus a front ring.

mtbr member
    Are you sure about this? 55 links seems way too short. I'll count mine when I get home, but I bet its twice that.......

mtbr member

Awesome!
    That helps a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Orange is the new phat

Fatboy Pro

The frame is Orange, because I needed a large so Hilltop, the LBS, swapped the Pro parts onto another FB frame (they are all the same).

UPGRADES

Tubeless-most important. Running 8lbs now without snow on the ground in NJ, but might reduce pressure depending on how they hook up in the white stuff. I weigh 200lbs.

Thomson carbon bars-I'm 59 and want to reduce the harsh.

Thomson elite seatpost-(downgrade that I swapped for the bars) Never had a dropper, but might put the Thomson or the Fox on another bike to try it.

Selle Italia saddle-They fit my anatomy

32.1 lbs with the Bluto is pretty good.

One of my riding buddies said he will be buying me fenders after he got rooster tailed in the mud yesterday.

Got my eighth ride in nine days of ownership. Hopefully, that is the ratio which we will maintain.
    Last edited by thegock; 12-05-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: more info
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are you sure about this? 55 links seems way too short. I'll count mine when I get home, but I bet its twice that.......
    I'm guessing he's just counting outer plates. If you ran a chain with an odd number of links you wouldn't be able to connect it.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    To clarify, 56 is the # of outer links including the quick connect.

Spec makes an XDriver that fits our hubs for about $55.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Distributor

I call it, the Tumbler

Large stock Fatboy

Upgrades so far:

Powdercoated Black.
    ENVE SWP Bar, ENVE 100mm Stem, ENVE Seatpost.
    Shimano Deore Brakes, Calipers, Icetech 203/180 Rotors, Icetech Resin Pads.
    Surly Lou/Bud w/ Surly Ultralight Tubes.
    Thomson Seatclamp.
    Henge Hollow/Ti saddle.
    Specialized Bennies Pedals.

I have purchased the following, waiting for rims to arrive before completion:

Nextie Wild Dragon 90mm Carbon Fat Rims, Matte black unidirectional with glossy decals.
    Lou/Bud 2nd set unused (will run tubeless).
    DT Swiss black brass 12mm nipples, DT Swiss Aerolight 2.--2.3-2.0 spokes.
    Industry 9 Torch Fat Hubs w/ XD Driver.
    SRAM X01 10/42 Black Cassette.
    Raceface Next SL w/ RF BB.
    XTR 9000 SG Derailleur w/ XTR 9000 Shifter.
    eThirteen Chain Guide Direct Mount.
    KMC X11SL DLC Black Chain.
    Ergon GA1 Black grips.

I cant wait!

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-the_tumbler.jpg

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-nextie_wild_dragon.jpg
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

Specialized Fatboy
    ^Love the look!

Made some Fenders, ready for the rain and mud. lol

mtbr member
    cool bike. I got a Fatboy superlight and just changed out the grips to Ergons and put on Candy Pedals.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 11-27-2014 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

can't wait for the Nextie addition

going tubless, 65mm Nextie's updates coming soon.

The other bike is a Josh?s Kilo-Graham EX | Graham Cycles
    every one asks... so I post!

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2178.jpgFatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2180.jpgFatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-img_2226.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    NRS1FREAK nice work on the fenders!
    What is that material and how did you cut it if I can ask?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Flying Fatboy's

Tubeless and crank covers and ready to roll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-flying-fattie.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got mine back from a warranty freehub replacement this weekend.

Added 200 grip studs to my Bud and Lou's to see how they compare to the Dillinger 5's I've been running.

Also added a set of Cobrafist's with Ergon GC1's, mud shovel fenders, and a Garmin 64s.

Mostly stock otherwise, except for a XT cassette, and Glowworm XS.

‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Got mine back from a warranty freehub replacement this weekend.

Added 200 grip studs to my Bud and Lou's to see how they compare to the Dillinger 5's I've been running.

Also added a set of Cobrafist's with Ergon GC1's, mud shovel fenders, and a Garmin 64s.

Mostly stock otherwise, except for a XT cassette, and Glowworm XS.
    Love it!

Specialized Fatboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Slow View Post
    NRS1FREAK nice work on the fenders!
    What is that material and how did you cut it if I can ask?
    Thanks! It's smoke plexiglass I had laying around. Just cut out the shape on a band saw. The down tube fender I used a blow torch to heat and bend. I got the material from a store called tap plastics, hopefully they have one in your area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Anyone have Nextie 65mm on there Fatboy? Pic's please?.?......

Distributor
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Posted this pic on another thread but it belongs here as well.

Upgrades:
    Removed front deraileur
    28t direct mount e13 front ring
    42t cog
    100mm bluto
    Light-bicycle/i9 wheels
    Xt brakes
    Easton carbon bar
    Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417890475.250901.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gcohen View Post
    Posted this pic on another thread but it belongs here as well.

Upgrades:
    Removed front deraileur
    28t direct mount e13 front ring
    42t cog
    100mm bluto
    Light-bicycle/i9 wheels
    Xt brakes
    Easton carbon bar
    Got a weight on that bad boy?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Not yet. I'll try and get the bathroom scale measurement tonight.

Specialized Fatboy
    Hmmmmm... Wat might dis be for. xD #yolo...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Got a weight on that bad boy?
    My digital scale which reads to the tenth of a pound put it exactly at 30lbs with pedals, 6oz of stans per wheel, and a little bit of today's trail dirt

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Fatboy - Seek and destroy upgrade.

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-i-cgqn87r-l.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Do you need to use rim strip if you go split tube?
    Any reason not to trim excess tube?
    Any reason not to trim tube down to corner of inside side wall of rim. That seems to be the place the tape guys run tape to. Not up side wall.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Escobar View Post
    Fatboy - Seek and destroy upgrade.

Name:	i-CgqN87r-L.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	944782
    And you thought the bike was expensive. 200 /300 2.8? Nice

Pedaling

Specialized Fatboy
    Sorta Kinda related? lol

mtbr member

Went 1x10 with OneUp 42T and RaceFace N/W 30T

I moved to the land of 1x10 with the OneUp 42T (+16T Cog) and an orange RaceFace N/W 30T up front. I like the cleaner look and I dropped almost a whole pound of weight...

I am really enjoying this bike.

Fatboy Upgrade/Picture Thread-fatboyupg.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Do you need to use rim strip if you go split tube?
    Any reason not to trim excess tube?
    Any reason not to trim tube down to corner of inside side wall of rim. That seems to be the place the tape guys run tape to. Not up side wall.

You'll want to use some kind of rim strip to protect the tube.

You don't have to trim, but may want to if it is rubbing.

I trimmed down to the sidewall with a nice sharp blade by getting it started, pulling on the exposed cut tube, and sliding the knife, using the rim to guide. It was really easy and looks super clean now.

As long as you use a tube that has a valve with a removable core you can add sealant without breaking the tire bead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Rjedoaks...
    I like your new GoPro..

Specialized Fatboy
    Yep, It happened. lol

mtbr member

Enve Sweep bar
    Edge stem
    Easton EC90 seatpost (ti bolts)
    KCNC seat clamp
    Selle Italia Flite Carbonio (no cover) / Specialized Romin Evo Pro
    Shimano XT brakes -> 160 mm XT Ice Tech front / 160 mm Ashima rear
    Shimano XTR shifter
    Shimano XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur
    Shimano 11-36 XT cassette + e13 42t + Shimano XT 16t
    Race Face NW 30 chainring
    EsiGrips Chunky Grips

Titanium and nylon bolts
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

Dual Squishy...
    Posted elsewhere already, but it should be in the FatBoy thread too...

FatBoy Pro

Upgrades before leaving my LBS:
    Thomson Carbon Bar 750mm
    Race Face Atlas stem 65mm
    Swapped the black Bennies for white ones
    Swapped the black Z-Cage for a white one
    Swapped the dropper post lever to the shifter style lever (not pictured)
    Specialized Enduro Lock on grips same color as the frame, with blue lock rings (not pictured)

Updates on the backlog:
    Blue Seat Post clamp, probably Hope
    Drop in 26" 2.4 tubes or go tubeless
    I9 hubs in Blue with Matte Black Tubeless Carbon Rims, either Light-Bicycle, or Nextie

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. Better one to come...
    Attachment 945835

Distributor

26.5lbs

carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast