Fatboy Tubeless?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Fatboy Tubeless?

hey All- After countless forum searches, google searches, and LBS discussions, I need everyone to chime in on this one. I have a Fatboy, OEM rims and GC tires- should I or should I NOT convert to tubeless? I just converted to a Bluto which I LOOOOVE but with the low pressure that we run fatties I'm wondering if the bead will just pop- It should be noted I bomb this thing a lot in summer as well. GO.....

Loser
    I have a Bluto on my Fatboy, split tube tubeless for about a year, I've had a few issues with tires losing air, but never catastrophic. I have had three sets of tires on, no problems swapping tires. I tried the thin tubes first and pinch flatted too much. I ride hard in the summer time too.

mtbr member
    You do not need to have such low pressures in the front with a Bluto. Thats the point of getting a fork on a fat bike. As for tubeless on a FB...my lbs sells them and they just use clear gorilla tape and a tubeless valve.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by etetro View Post
    hey All- After countless forum searches, google searches, and LBS discussions, I need everyone to chime in on this one. I have a Fatboy, OEM rims and GC tires- should I or should I NOT convert to tubeless? I just converted to a Bluto which I LOOOOVE but with the low pressure that we run fatties I'm wondering if the bead will just pop- It should be noted I bomb this thing a lot in summer as well. GO.....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/spe...ss-902936.html
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Three wraps of gorilla tape, left, right, center and Stans valve. Be very careful and take your time. Sealant will find the smallest wrinkle. Front took two attempts, rear one. Front was my fault, because I rushed. The CGs mount super easy if you have a compressor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tubeless worked out great on my Fatboy. I used Tyvek seam tape, Stan's tubeless valve stem, and Stan's sealant.
    The trick for me was to pop one side of the tire bead off with the tube in. Take the tube out, install the valve stem, and fill with sealant. I even used a floor pump.
    The only problem I noted with the original fatboy rims is a tad bit of sealant coming out the the rim seam (believe they're pinned not welded) which could potentially lose air. Hopefully the sealant will take care of that.

mtbr member
    A good trick is mount a tire and tube after you tape the rim...pump it up to 20+ lbs and let it sit for a day. The tube does a great job pressing the tape down.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    After two months of tubeless I am starting to have an air leak from only the front fatboy rim. The leak is from the rim sidewall seam where the rim joins each other. Anyone else with this issue?

I am going to tape up to the sidewall to see if that works. If not any other possible solutions? JB WELD/strong type of epoxy glue on the seam? TIA

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm tubeless front and rear with 3M Transparent Duct Tape. Not been a smooth ride and it's still not holding air consistently. I've only been for about a month and haven't torn it apart for a second attempt. My front rim seam leaks as does the front and rear on a riding buddies fatboy that has tried 3 different methods of tubeless but not split tube yet.

mtbr member
    Just took the studded D5's off and put the GC's back on split tube. Surprised at how easy it was. Have only had time for a short ride but it seems to be holding.
    2014 Specialized Fatboy
    2013 Rocky Mountain Element BC Edition
    2011 Gary Fisher Utopia
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've had great success with my Fatboy and using gorilla tape, 2 strips, starting at each sidewall and overlapping in the centre. I've also setup a few other fatboys this way and would say it's been one of the easiest rims we've converted, next to the Asian carbon rims we've been using.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    As of last night my rear rim seam is now leaking also. I put 2 more oz's of stans in but I think 1/2 of that ran out the rim seam. For some reason stans doesn't seal that.