Fatboy SL vs 9:Zero:7 197MM Aluminum Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Fatboy SL vs 9:Zero:7 197MM Aluminum Build

I'm in the research stage of fat bike shopping. I've narrowed it down (I think) to either buying a stock Specialized Fatboy SL or building a 9:Zero:7 197MM Aluminum with IndustryNine hubs, carbon wheel set, and XTR components. Or possibly comparable Sram components. I know building the later would be more money than buying the SL. Any feedback or advice on which way I should go and why would be greatly appreciated. I'm no expert on bike building as I've only been riding three years now but I'm learning. My current bike is a 29er Salsa Ti with XTR components that I bought second hand and love...

mtbr member
    The 9:zero:7 looks like a lot more fun if your handy with your tools. Specialized makes a great product but the 9zero7 will be more custom. If standover is a concern go with the 9zero7. If you want a more XC ride. Go with the SL.

mtbr member
    you are treading on thin ice here. be very careful....you may not be in love so much with your 29er after you build your fatty.... Here's what i would do...

-197mm, alum, 9:zero:7 frame
    -bluto fork with winter seal kit
    -65 or 80mm chinese carbon rims
    -van helgas for summer, studded dillinger 5's for the winter
    -hope hubs (save some money)
    -transfer as many parts from your salsa to this bike and sell your salsa

if you still feel like you "need" to "feel like you're riding your salsa" build a 29" wheelset for your 9:zero:7 and don't look back....

all this assumes you live in the NE, don't plan on winter bikepacking for 350 miles, are looking at a fatty to ride in the winter and might be curious as to it's capabilities in the summer, and are content (or prefer) the feel of a rigid tail bike rather than fs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am always a fan of building over buying.

I9, carbon, XTR sounds like a pretty solid bike.

If you are not in a rush you can find some deals on parts.

I would never sell another bike off before I knew I loved the new one!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'd definitely build your own and you get to make it your own while doing that. There are always some parts you end up changing on a pre-built bike that adds to the cost. Looks like $5500 retail for the Fatboy SL. I just built my 907 aluminum frame and fork with Nextie carbon rims, I9 hubs, XO drivetrain with RF turbine cranks, XT brakes, carbon bars.....all for about $4200. Even if you go Bluto fork, carbon cranks and XTR, you can build it for around $5000 I'd bet. With a threaded BB and inset headset, the frame is very is to build. I can't comment on ride comparison as I have not ridden a Fatboy of any kind.
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS v2
    Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post
    you are treading on thin ice here. be very careful....you may not be in love so much with your 29er after you build your fatty.... Here's what i would do...

if you still feel like you "need" to "feel like you're riding your salsa" build a 29" wheelset for your 9:zero:7 and don't look back....

all this assumes you live in the NE, don't plan on winter bikepacking for 350 miles, are looking at a fatty to ride in the winter and might be curious as to it's capabilities in the summer, and are content (or prefer) the feel of a rigid tail bike rather than fs.
    --

+1 Love this..

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ADKMTNBIKER View Post
    If standover is a concern go with the 9zero7. If you want a more XC ride. Go with the SL.
    I'm almost 6'2" with long legs so standover isn't much of a concern for me. A buddy of mine has an SL and standover is a big concern for him as he's much shorter than me. He's considering building a 9:Zero:7 for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by smthgfshy View Post

I'm going to hang onto my Salsa 29er and not cannibalize her. I like the idea of having two bikes in case something breaks on one and I don't have time to fix it but want to ride nonetheless.

As to your assumptions, I live in New England, don't plan on winter bikepacking for 350 miles, am looking at the fatty to ride in the winter plus see what it can do in the summer and have no interest in a FS. You were spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I am always a fan of building over buying.

I9, carbon, XTR sounds like a pretty solid bike.

If you are not in a rush you can find some deals on parts.

I would never sell another bike off before I knew I loved the new one!
    I like the idea of buying parts online at a good deal and building it myself, however...having never done it before and being a novice when it comes to picking the exact parts that would work well together, I get cold feet on the idea (although, I'm sure I could put a good parts list together through asking you guys here on the forum). That coupled with the good relationship I have with my LBS and liking the owner and group of people who both work and hang out there makes me feel funny about sourcing parts online and building the bike on my own. If I brought it in for service, I'd feel weird. Do any of you guys know where I'm coming from...?

Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    I'd definitely build your own and you get to make it your own while doing that. There are always some parts you end up changing on a pre-built bike that adds to the cost. Looks like $5500 retail for the Fatboy SL. I just built my 907 aluminum frame and fork with Nextie carbon rims, I9 hubs, XO drivetrain with RF turbine cranks, XT brakes, carbon bars.....all for about $4200. Even if you go Bluto fork, carbon cranks and XTR, you can build it for around $5000 I'd bet. With a threaded BB and inset headset, the frame is very is to build. I can't comment on ride comparison as I have not ridden a Fatboy of any kind.
    This is very tempting, however see my comment just above this one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Allagash View Post
    I like the idea of buying parts online at a good deal and building it myself, however...having never done it before and being a novice when it comes to picking the exact parts that would work well together, I get cold feet on the idea (although, I'm sure I could put a good parts list together through asking you guys here on the forum). That coupled with the good relationship I have with my LBS and liking the owner and group of people who both work and hang out there makes me feel funny about sourcing parts online and building the bike on my own. If I brought it in for service, I'd feel weird. Do any of you guys know where I'm coming from...?
    Well my wife bought the frame, fork and hubs from my LBS. I upgraded the hubs through them and had them build the wheels, all the rest was online. So I spent $1700 of a $4200 hundred bike through him and just showed it to him last Saturday as he asked to see it when I was done. No awkwardness was felt at all. He took it for a spin, complimented me on it and gave his opinion about a little creaking he heard. You could just be upfront with your LBS and tell them you want the experience of building your own bike and that if they can match price of any parts you're considering, you'll buy through him. If you're in good with them, they'll understand and maybe give you some advice.
    9:Zero:7 Whiteout
    Ibis Ripley LS v2
    Ibis Ripmo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Well my wife bought the frame, fork and hubs from my LBS. I upgraded the hubs through them and had them build the wheels, all the rest was online. So I spent $1700 of a $4200 hundred bike through him and just showed it to him last Saturday as he asked to see it when I was done. No awkwardness was felt at all. He took it for a spin, complimented me on it and gave his opinion about a little creaking he heard. You could just be upfront with your LBS and tell them you want the experience of building your own bike and that if they can match price of any parts you're considering, you'll buy through him. If you're in good with them, they'll understand and maybe give you some advice.
    That's sound advice. I may take this route.