Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 501 to 528 of 528
  1. #501
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    609
    You have to check which model you are talking about. The El Oso range covers an original list price range from about $500 to near $2000. Then they were heavily discounted The range varies from rigid forks to a Bluto, mechanical brakes to reasonable Shimano hydraulics, SLX groupset down to entry level Acera.
    There are a few riding them on here. Try searching, or check the fatbike pictures thread, I'm pretty sure I've seen a few in there.
    LMGTFY http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/my-new-diamondback-el-oso-990712.html
    Dirty Hun and Mr Horse seem to be still enjoying their El Oso's

  2. #502
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    475
    If you plan to use it on beaches it might do but i live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada and here for our 4 winter months the 2 most popular the last 4 years are the Norco and the Specialized Fatboy. We benefit from 80-90mm rims, 4.5 to 4.8 in tires to float. Smaller tires and narrower rims do not allow us to float on the softer snow so we have less fat days. The link in your post brought me to a 27 speeds wich is a low price model wich is surely heavy and in bikes i allways prefer a medium or high quality bike. My suggestion is pass on that one and get a 2015 or 2016 that will be lighter, better transmission, better wheels and focus on proper tires for your intended use.

  3. #503
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    27
    How about the minnesota ltd? Im looking at the 2018 mongoose argus comp also. So many to choose from!

  4. #504
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SE F@R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    10
    The 2017 SE F@R is on clearance for $799, it retails for close to $1400.00.

  5. #505
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by darren03 View Post
    Anyone got any experience with the DB El Oso? Have a chance to pick a barely used one up for $800 dollars and I'm wondering if I'd be stupid not to.

    Struggling to find many helpful reviews, most seem to give it a good rep but don't really explain why aside from "it's a good bike" etc etc:

    https://bikebrave.com/best-fat-tire-...icycles-El-Oso

    Any first hand experiences!
    $800 for a newish, suspension forked version of this bike would be a very good deal. Slightly less of a deal if it's the El Oso Grande version.

    The two biggest 'issues' directed at this particular bike are that it has a fairly tall stand-over height and a relatively long chain stay length.

    Having personally used it, I can comment that the height really hasn't been an issue in my experience and that I don't get the obsession that some people have with chain stay length. I guess if you fancy yourself some kind of BMX freeriding superstar, the chain stay might hold you back on your riding style. I largely will call bullshit on that though and have to say that the bike performs well and to my standards on both dirt and snow. I have a full suspension long travel bike that collects dust most the time since acquiring this bike.

    The bike is decently spec'd as is but has a 197 mm thru axle that will allow you to modify it to 1 X 11 or 12 speed and allow you to put 5" inch or plus tires on it if that's your thing.

    Full disclosure, I have the Grande version and it's heavily modified. The only original parts are the frame, axel and stem. That said, it's been a good frame to build up from.

  6. #506
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    48

    Boris NX1 Bluto



    Picked this up for $999 shipped. Bluto RL 120mm fork, SRAM NX1 groupset, Shimano 180mm m365 brakes, and assorted crap I'll be replacing.

    Rides like a dream.

  7. #507
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    21
    How about the least expensive fat bike with 1 X 11 and ability to fit 4.8” tires? That’s what I need but their all $2000. Kona Wo is $1500 but is 1 X 10.

  8. #508
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBran View Post
    How about the least expensive fat bike with 1 X 11 and ability to fit 4.8” tires? That’s what I need but their all $2000. Kona Wo is $1500 but is 1 X 10.
    You will not have a fat.
    You can buy a simili fat for a few $$.
    You can print a picture of a fat for free.
    You can find an older fat for 600$.
    You can buy shoes for a $.
    You are lucky air is free, stop complaining.

  9. #509
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBran View Post
    How about the least expensive fat bike with 1 X 11 and ability to fit 4.8” tires? That’s what I need but their all $2000. Kona Wo is $1500 but is 1 X 10.
    If you want 1x11 and 4.8 inch tires you're gonna need something with thru axles and 190/197mm rear spacing. You're gonna be into the $1500 price range.

  10. #510
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by 218traverse View Post
    If you want 1x11 and 4.8 inch tires you're gonna need something with thru axles and 190/197mm rear spacing. You're gonna be into the $1500 price range.
    I think the Mongoose Argus Comp is about as you'll get. It's only 1x10, but the stock Airsun tires are listed as 4.9. Don't know what they actually measure. Not that big a job to convert to 1x11

  11. #511
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    27
    2019 mongoose argus comp is listed with 1x11, just have to wait for it to become available.

  12. #512
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by cableman View Post
    2019 mongoose argus comp is listed with 1x11, just have to wait for it to become available.
    Thanks. Hopefully it’s what I’m looking for. Let’s see what it brings.

  13. #513
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    27
    Dealer book.
    I definitely would have gotten one if i didnt just find a 2017 farley 7.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbikes under 00 bucks-screenshot_2018-08-20-21-02-04%7E2.jpg  

    Last edited by cableman; 08-21-2018 at 02:50 AM.

  14. #514
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    You will not have a fat.
    You can buy a simili fat for a few $$.
    You can print a picture of a fat for free.
    You can find an older fat for 600$.
    You can buy shoes for a $.
    You are lucky air is free, stop complaining.
    Your right, I Guess I should be happy getting bent over and spoon fed technology.

  15. #515
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    48


    This thing was $999 shipped, I've upgraded a few things but overall a super good value. SRAM NX 1x11, Shimano hydraulic brakes, Rockshox Bluto RL fork. I put a new stem, carbon bars, and tires on it.

    Incredibly fun and capable bike.

  16. #516
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    29
    Trying to decide between Surly Wednesday and 27.5 Framed WolfTrax...Both in black for $1099 new...Better spec on the WolfTrax, but it's aluminum.Anyone ridden both?

  17. #517
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    68
    The new one at Costco for 2019 looks pretty good. Looks like they finally put a tapered fork on that bike. So it would be very upgradable I think.$450 CDN. Made by Giant I am told.

    https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC00...100383744.html

  18. #518
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by lewdvig View Post
    The new one at Costco for 2019 looks pretty good. Looks like they finally put a tapered fork on that bike. So it would be very upgradable I think.$450 CDN. Made by Giant I am told.

    https://www.costco.ca/Northrock-XC00...100383744.html
    I call those simili fat.
    Useless gearing to climb.
    Buy a 99$ bike.
    Buy a big pen 1$.
    Write FAT.
    100$ fat, bingo!

  19. #519
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    9
    Get a Fuji Wendigo 2.1 It is amazing an under $1000--- It is the only bike I will own for a while (unless it gets stolen out of my garage or it gets destroyed!)
    Costco bike has a 7 gear selection which has a poor low gear and is low quality like Mongoose.

  20. #520
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scooby609's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3
    Framed Minnesota LTD is just under $1k now on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I just ordered a 20" red one myself should have it Tuesday!

  21. #521
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4
    Trying to find the appropriate thread for this discussion, hopefully this is “appropriate” and will not be chastised.
    I am looking to pick up a Fat Bike for under $1000, looking at some options; it looks as if I can even lower that number to under $700.
    I live on Long Island, so we have some limited terrain with some mild climbs and decent but nothing to extreme.
    I am looking for a bike I can ride year round and get the most enjoyment out of it.
    Based on my budget, I think I will be using BD for my purchase (open for any other options though)
    I have used them for two other bikes and have not had any issues.

    The first option I am looking at is the 2018 Gravity BullseyeMonster Comp with and RST Suspension fork.
    This looks like a good deal as it has the front suspension and also the crank has it two front gears.
    I think I definitely want the ability to shift gears on the front sprocket for long straight aways vs. climbs.
    I know there are a number of discussions if suspension is even required for the type of riding I will be performing, however if it is a good value and I do use my bike on more challenging terrain, I would like to know I have the option of using the suspension. ($700)
    Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster COMP Fat Mountain Bikes

    Next option was the Gravity BullseyeMonster Comp
    Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster LTD Fat Mountain Bikes
    Similar specs but no suspension ($600)
    (They no longer have it in matte black with the matte black rims, which is actually a factor as I like that color combo)

    Gravity 2019 Bullseye MonsterFive ($700)
    This bike looks like it will be fun and comes with 4.9” tires.
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - FIts Most Five INCH Tires - Gravity Bullseye MonsterFIVE

    I like the specs on this one with the exception that there is only one gear for the front sprocket. I see this is more common now, but cannot imagine not having the ability to switch gears. Will be happy to hear anyones feedback on this topic.
    Gravity 2018 Bullseye Monster XX ($700)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes - Gravity 2018 Bullseye Monster XX SRAM GX 1x10 Drivetrain Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

    I was also looking at the Motobecane Boris Line as well. These seem to have the specs I am looking for my level of riding.

    Motobecane 2019 Boris X5 ($600)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X5 SRAM

    Motobecane NEW Boris X7 ($700)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X7 SRAM

    Motobecane 2019 Boris GX ($800)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2019 Boris GX SRAM GX Equipped Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes
    This one is on my budget border; however it also only has one sprocket on the front drive.

    I do appreciate anyone’s feedback on this. Looking to order as soon as possible so I can start my autumn riding as soon as possible.
    Thanks

  22. #522
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepers123 View Post
    Trying to find the appropriate thread for this discussion, hopefully this is “appropriate” and will not be chastised.
    I am looking to pick up a Fat Bike for under $1000, looking at some options; it looks as if I can even lower that number to under $700.
    I live on Long Island, so we have some limited terrain with some mild climbs and decent but nothing to extreme.
    I am looking for a bike I can ride year round and get the most enjoyment out of it.
    Based on my budget, I think I will be using BD for my purchase (open for any other options though)
    I have used them for two other bikes and have not had any issues.

    The first option I am looking at is the 2018 Gravity BullseyeMonster Comp with and RST Suspension fork.
    This looks like a good deal as it has the front suspension and also the crank has it two front gears.
    I think I definitely want the ability to shift gears on the front sprocket for long straight aways vs. climbs.
    I know there are a number of discussions if suspension is even required for the type of riding I will be performing, however if it is a good value and I do use my bike on more challenging terrain, I would like to know I have the option of using the suspension. ($700)
    Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster COMP Fat Mountain Bikes

    Next option was the Gravity BullseyeMonster Comp
    Save Up to 60% Off Front Suspension Equipped Fat Bikes, BullsEye Monster LTD Fat Mountain Bikes
    Similar specs but no suspension ($600)
    (They no longer have it in matte black with the matte black rims, which is actually a factor as I like that color combo)

    Gravity 2019 Bullseye MonsterFive ($700)
    This bike looks like it will be fun and comes with 4.9” tires.
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - FIts Most Five INCH Tires - Gravity Bullseye MonsterFIVE

    I like the specs on this one with the exception that there is only one gear for the front sprocket. I see this is more common now, but cannot imagine not having the ability to switch gears. Will be happy to hear anyones feedback on this topic.
    Gravity 2018 Bullseye Monster XX ($700)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes - Gravity 2018 Bullseye Monster XX SRAM GX 1x10 Drivetrain Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes

    I was also looking at the Motobecane Boris Line as well. These seem to have the specs I am looking for my level of riding.

    Motobecane 2019 Boris X5 ($600)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X5 SRAM

    Motobecane NEW Boris X7 ($700)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X7 SRAM

    Motobecane 2019 Boris GX ($800)
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane 2019 Boris GX SRAM GX Equipped Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes
    This one is on my budget border; however it also only has one sprocket on the front drive.

    I do appreciate anyone’s feedback on this. Looking to order as soon as possible so I can start my autumn riding as soon as possible.
    Thanks
    In my opinion 18 speeds is a minimum for 12 months or at least 11 speeds with a wide range, not just only 11-42.
    I never buy entry level.
    I allways buy quality, the budget decides the year.
    Pick a good 2016 with proper tires for your area.

  23. #523
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the response. Looks like I will eliminate the ones with the limited gear options.

    Unfortunately my budget is limited and my options are limited for anything outside of these models, even for higher quality, previous model selections.

    Was looking to see if anyone had any of these and would strongly recommend or steer me away from any of these.

    Thanks

  24. #524
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mehlertmj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    119
    I had a Motobecane FB5 for a little while before I upgraded to a Surly Ice Cream Truck. It was a good bike for the money, however you can find used deals for quality bikes on the upper end of your budget. I’m sure there are some Pugs out there right in your budget ball park. Check Craigslist and pink bike. Either way, I don’t see anything wrong with the bikes you listed. I believe they can be great entry level bikes if they are maintained and setup properly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #525
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4
    Thanks-I have been checking Craigslist and letgo with no luck. There is a limited appetite for fat bikes around here and the people who have them have not yet started dumpin them. Thanks for letting me know about pinkbike. Just checked there as well, however very few bikes in my area.

    Looking at the Monster Comp with RST suspension fork at this time. Anyone see any objections with this model?

    Thanks

  26. #526
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    609
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepers123 View Post
    Thanks for the response. Looks like I will eliminate the ones with the limited gear options.
    Thanks
    I would suggest a little more research re the gearing issue, looks like you are missing something.
    Most of the 1x bikes (only one gear on the front) are generally more modern than most 2x or 3x bikes (2 or 3 front cogs).
    Days gone by, bikes only had 6 or 7 gears (like a 13 tooth to a 32 or 36 tooth cogs) on the back, and needed 2 or 3 on the front to give sufficient gear range to cover most Riding situations.
    The modern 1x bike has 10 to 12 gears on the back (generally an 11 or 12 to 46 or even 50 tooth on the back) and a smaller chainring on the front. As such they can basically provide the same gear range as an old multi chainring set up.
    The 1x system simplifies the bike, less hardware and less to think about when on the trail.
    There is still nothing wrong with a decent 2x, but it's a bit dated and not really necessary as long as you're buying an appropriate 1x system (with sufficient gear range for your fitness and riding conditions).

  27. #527
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4
    Thanks-was not up to speed on the new gear ratios. That now changes my options (again)

  28. #528
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DABIGSEAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    168
    Norco bigfoots start at about 899
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM
  2. 5 bucks gets you...
    By velomann in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
  3. 20 bucks got me...
    By WTF-IDK in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 05:12 PM
  4. Sub $1000 Fatbike?
    By antpal01 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Members who have read this thread: 213

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.