This place needs an enema

Fatbike travel bags?

Anyone have experience with a commercially made bag that'll fit a fatbike and both wheels inside?

Thingamejigger
    Only seen a friend use a normal cardboard bike box....

When the Surly guys come over to Scotland for Forth Fat that had 3 Thule hard cases for 2 ICT's

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those fine folks at fat-bike.com did a review of the BikePro USA case. Looks like a good solution, but not exactly cheap.

Fat-Bike Travel Case | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Your Best Friend
    A Pika Sport bag? I've used them internationally with an XL carbon FS 29er and there was adequate room for extra stuff. I haven't tried it with a fatty but I'm thinking it'd work, with the tires deflated but not removed.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    No personal experience, but there was reference to this from this forum: EVOC Bike Travel Bag | The Colorado Cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Anyone have experience with a commercially made bag that'll fit a fatbike and both wheels inside?
    Mike

I've used a Ground Effect Tardis bag for 2 Australia-UK trips and a number of Australian domestic flights (including this w connections so more bag handling).

No damage to frame (Ti and my wife's bamboo) or wheels.

They're good as they fit horizontally in the boot of normal cars.

Tom

Fat & Single
    Used the EVOC bag, borrowed from a mate, who has also used it for fat and an xxl 29er. Tyres need deflated but fits beautifully.

Borrowed: Coz they are friggen expensive if only needing them for 1 trip... can he hired from a few places here in oz, try hiring if you only need it for an occasional trip.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Thanks for all the responses. Will ruminate and research some more before deciding. Will check back in with thoughts/experience once I have something in hand to fiddle with.

mtbr member
    I have an EVOC bag, never tried fitting my fat bike in it though. I can give it a try when I have some free time - unfortunately our trails are in pristine fat bike shape at the moment so free time is limited...
    Are you needing the info asap?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a Bike Pro that works real well. I will look for some pictures of the bike in it.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Are these EVOC bags strong enough to protect bike from damages during hard handling in airports (and during transfer on connecting flights)? My regular (not a bike case) plastic hard bag is severely scratched around after ~10 flights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Bump

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. Will ruminate and research some more before deciding. Will check back in with thoughts/experience once I have something in hand to fiddle with.
    Thread resurrection!

Any updates? Looking for something to fit a 9:Zero:7 with 197 rear spacing.

Quote Originally Posted by DStaley View Post
    Thread resurrection!

Any updates? Looking for something to fit a 9:Zero:7 with 197 rear spacing.

Nope -- never ordered anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks Mike. Anyone else found a good travel bag?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have a Bike Pro that works real well for a Lg Fat Bike and two wheels. I will try to dig up some pictures from the last time I used it.

Steven
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've traveled with mine, abet I was using skinny wheels at the time, put it all in my evoc bag. There's no way that fat wheels would work with this or any normal case I've seen. Everyone that I know that has traveled with their fatbike with fat wheels has brought the wheels as carry-ons. YEMV of course.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    EVOC has a dedicated plus bike/fat bike bag now - Bike Travel Bag XL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    I ended up purchasing the Evoc XL bag, as I was able to find it online for a substantial discount. I'll post an update with pics once it arrives.

Thanks to all for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I ended up purchasing the Evoc XL bag, as I was able to find it online for a substantial discount. I'll post an update with pics once it arrives.
    Will be great, if you could share some feedback on this bag, once you have tried it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm curious if the Thule Round Trip Transition would fit a fat bike?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nope -- never ordered anything.
    I have been googling around a bit trying to see what I could come up with before asking you guys this same question....and landed back here.

How are you getting your bike to and from Alaska these past few trips?

Nutrailer
    I received good replies in this thread;

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/evo...s-1074339.html
    What a perfect waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    I have been googling around a bit trying to see what I could come up with before asking you guys this same question....and landed back here.

How are you getting your bike to and from Alaska these past few trips?

Standard cardboard bike boxes. One guy used an EVOC on the last trip, and although I didn't watch him do it he said he could easily get his fatbike + wheel/tires and a few accessories in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    https://www.evocsports.com/products/...-travel-bag-xl

I've been thinking of getting one of these for travel next year. Anyone else used one yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    From my personal experience, I think cardboard bike boxes are the best for traveling by plane. Usually survives 5-6 flights and you can get them for free in almost any bikeshop. EVOC bag has its benefits but it's so heavy... Here in Europe you have to pay extra because it weigh over 23kg with bike. For me, cardboard box for plane and cloth bike bags for train/bus traveling are the best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I used the Evoc XL bag last winter, and will do the same again this winter. Gross weight on the scale at the airport was 48.5 lbs (22 kg), which included bag, bike, wheels (with a fresh 6oz of sealant in both tires), framebag, and some spare parts (extra hangers, quick links, cables and housing) and tools. My fatbike is not a super lightweight build, either. Maybe 27ish lbs.

Great bag, plenty of protection. Just remember to detach your derailleur and hanger or else there is a good chance the hanger will get bent during transit. I also removed my chain and pedals seatpost and saddle (they all stayed in the bag), wrapped some of the frame in bubble wrap. I think I had the air pressure in my tires around 4psi, which would hopefully keep them from burping if they got whacked, and also left some room for expansion and contraction from ambient pressure changes.

If you go with the Evoc, be prepared to get gouged by some airlines. I think I paid $125 or $150 each way on Delta from Denver to Anchorage. But, in my case, the cost ended up being a wash compared to other airlines that do not charge as much (such as Alaska Airlines) because of base fare difference and a better schedule.

And the bag just barely fits in the rear seat of a full-size sedan. My rental in Anchorage was a Nissan Altima.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I used the Evoc XL bag last winter, and will do the same again this winter. Gross weight on the scale at the airport was 48.5 lbs (22 kg), which included bag, bike, wheels (with a fresh 6oz of sealant in both tires), framebag, and some spare parts (extra hangers, quick links, cables and housing) and tools. My fatbike is not a super lightweight build, either. Maybe 27ish lbs.
    Your bike is light enough. Evoc Travel XL weight is 10.5kg, my bike with 26x4.7 wheels is around 14.5kg - more than 23 kg, that's only bike and bag. With cardboard boxes I usually put a lot with bike - all bikepacking bags, tools etc.

I agree, bag is awesome, if you're ok paying a little extra and traveling only by plane.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Your bike is light enough.
    Yep, just barely! And on second thought, Iím pretty sure I stuck my saddle and seatpost in a separate duffel bag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yep, just barely! And on second thought, Iím pretty sure I stuck my saddle and seatpost in a separate duffel bag.
    I had the cheapo $50 Amazon chinese nylon shoulder bag, served me well on six flights with enough duck tape repair and pipe insulation protecting the frame of a 27.5" full suspension mtb.

I scored an EVOC travel pro for $200 on eBay (regular $600), and it is like traveling first class - bike is well protected, minimal disassembly, very well though product, stands on 3 wheels, glides through terminals.

Fat bike (a cheap Mongoose Juneau I bought for snow) doesn't fit on the EVOC, even after fully deflating tires. I use a Chain Reaction Bike Bag (the $99 one) for it, which after much effort, straps and sitting on top (remember, $300 bike) closes the zippers with both wheels inside. I do not recommend, just use because it barely fits, I had it and I'm cheap.

Jetblue only charges $50, and so far only in one of 6 flights (pick a happy looking check-in attendant).

If you have an expensive fat bike, get the EVOC XL.
    Never limited by common sense...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    My wife and I have the ChainReaction bike bags https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/.../rp-prod114204 and can fit our fat bikes in them. I've a Singular Puffin (medium frame size), my wife has a Surly Wednesday (small). The bag weighs 8.8kg so a bit lighter than the EVOC but it's soft sided rather than a hard case.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Apparently Pika Packworks makes one for fatbikes now. This is the response I got from Mark. I have no experience with it though I do own a stretch.

I make a bag for fat wheel bikes that I haven't added to my website, the eep-fwb, $569 including shipping, 54x32x15 inches and about 18 lbs, with a pair of wheels on the back end bolted through a plastic stiffener in the base and some additional handles to lift and tow it. If you wish to proceed with an order email your shipping address and phone number and I will call to get credit card info.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I picked up one of these,new in box from a guy locally who purchased it to go to an event that he cancelled on. I think I paid CAD$150 for it. I've been using it to protect my vehicle interior,especially when running studded tires.

Skinz BTSC400 Fat Bike Travel Case

https://www.amazon.com/Skinz-Protect.../dp/B00D91FQNS