Fatbike Mt Washington Redbull- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Fatbike Mt Washington Redbull

Pretty cool that Redbull sponsored this.

First Ascent of Mount Washington by Bike in Winter

Trying to be helpful
    Saw earlier on Twitter, so f#cking epic and inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Wooooow
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am a Maine local who rides and skis in that area on a regular basis. That place is nasty this time of year, props to him for pulling it off.

on a side note anyone think that someone needs to put out a studded tire with more agressive studs for icy steep climbs. Yeah the concave studded dillinger works well at like 4-6 psi but there are not a ton of studs in the center of the tire and the studs are only so long.

Some companies offer a few options of moto studs. Would be cool if 45nrth came out with some options like this.

Kevin's Cycle - Rt.123 Norton, MA 02766: Winter Studded Tires

mtbr member
    I'm from Maine and have hiked Mt Washington 4 times in winter and think it'd be awesome to fatbike up there. I'd have taken it down the Lakes of the Clouds Hut and grabbed a few pictures as well. Then maybe over to Tuckerman's Ravine for the trip down.

Worst weather in the world is right, I hiked it one February on a bluebird day and within 1/2 an hour an ice storm moved in and it dropped 50. We put on every article of Gore-Tex and insulation and had a blast trying to find the trail down due to no visibility. Good times and all part of hiking that range. It'll kill you if you aren't prepared.

Fatbike Mt Washington Redbull-100_3153-l.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I'm from Maine and have hiked Mt Washington 4 times in winter and think it'd be awesome to fatbike up there. I'd have taken it down the Lakes of the Clouds Hut and grabbed a few pictures as well. Then maybe over to Tuckerman's Ravine for the trip down.

Worst weather in the world is right, I hiked it one February on a bluebird day and within 1/2 an hour an ice storm moved in and it dropped 50. We put on every article of Gore-Tex and insulation and had a blast trying to find the trail down due to no visibility. Good times and all part of hiking that range. It'll kill you if you aren't prepared.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3153-L.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	1052257
    I grew up in Maine before moving to California in my 20s and most recently Washington. Your story reminds me why people call people from Maine, Maineacs! I live for doing "crazy" stuff like you described, craziest, crappiest weather, good time for a ride or hike, HELLS YEAH! Awesome!
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5CA

This place needs an enema
    Hyperbole, and a half.

mtbr member
    It looks like they got a pretty good day to summit, weather wise. Also they had to get permission to ride up, as the road doesn't allow cycling normally.

If anyone wants to try to repeat the feat it appears that there's an event being hosted in March: Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds | Mt. Washington Auto Road

I saw someone had already ridden up to the base of Tuckerman Ravine, I'd like to attempt that ride at some point... at least you get to ride down.

is buachail foighneach me
    Looks super hardpacked. I wonder how much faster he would have been on a 29er with Ice Spikers. Would have had much better traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    It looks like they got a pretty good day to summit, weather wise. Also they had to get permission to ride up, as the road doesn't allow cycling normally.

If anyone wants to try to repeat the feat it appears that there's an event being hosted in March: Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds | Mt. Washington Auto Road

I saw someone had already ridden up to the base of Tuckerman Ravine, I'd like to attempt that ride at some point... at least you get to ride down.
    It could be fun to fat bike the summit of mt washington but since I don't had the stud tire I will wait another year. I hike the summit of mt Washington 46 time including 7 or 8 time in the winter and I had lot of memorable day out there in any month of the year.

mtbr member
    Oh man, if only if I were in better shape...and didn't have to work that weekend...and were rocking a seriously low gear.

My LBS built a bike for one of the hill climbs, it topped out at 9 pounds. It was a fixed gear single speed, carbon everything, with the smallest seat I'd ever seen (designed for standing). I never heard how the guy did but it was incredibly light, and my own 16 pound fixed gear felt heavy by comparison.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Hyperbole, and a half.
    I tend to agree. It's only 7.6 miles and was done in under 2 hours. Cold and windy, sure but it is winter in NH after all. Kind of a publicity stunt that earned the auto road some cash to allow the circus to take place.

I am much more impressed with Jeff Oatley's recent 1000 mile ride.

edit: the event "to the clouds" next month does not go to the summit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    I am a Maine local who rides and skis in that area on a regular basis. That place is nasty this time of year, props to him for pulling it off.

on a side note anyone think that someone needs to put out a studded tire with more agressive studs for icy steep climbs. Yeah the concave studded dillinger works well at like 4-6 psi but there are not a ton of studs in the center of the tire and the studs are only so long.

Some companies offer a few options of moto studs. Would be cool if 45nrth came out with some options like this.

Kevin's Cycle - Rt.123 Norton, MA 02766: Winter Studded Tires
    Great traction, but at what weight? How often would you need this level of studlyness?

mtbr member
    Fantastic, been on Mt. W numerous times and that road is no joke........hard enough in the summer......epic ride for him.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Yeah, for some reason I'm not so blown away by this. Cool, but not amazing.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    It is so windy there, that half his fork blew off

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Great traction, but at what weight? How often would you need this level of studlyness?
    I'd be interested I knowing what studs he uses for the rocky trail tires.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tim Johnson is a very bad ass CX racer and I enjoyed watching him race in the past 8-10 years, but this is a little much. I appreciate that it's a windy mountain and East guys get all protective of it, but if you have a snow cat as sag wagon and a dude in a down suit jumps out to let air out of your tire for you.....well.....I guess I just don't see what's so special about this one, sorry.

mtbr member
    What's special is that it's a steep road that has never been ridden in winter on a bicycle. Open it up to the general public and watch what would happen, I'd be all over it just for the novelty. I don't care to drive up the road, I prefer to hike it since I think it's safer and less scary. Incidentally, the road to the top changes in winter due to the proximity to the edge, the heavy snowfall, and terrain changes. So the road in winter is not the same as the summer, for the upper part at least. Same thing with the hiking trail, the Tuckerman Ravine trail is closed in winter due to being too dangerous and the Lion's Head is opened.

But I hear you on the whole SAG wagon thing and airing down. It's probably a liability thing with the Mountain, they tend to be a little on the 'overcautious' side to put it mildly. I akin it to the guy who ran the whole Appalachian Trail. he did break the record, which was a feat unto itself, but he did so supported fully by a whole crew to minimize his down time. As such I am less impressed, compared to the person who did it unsupported.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    What's special is that it's a steep road that has never been ridden in winter on a bicycle. Open it up to the general public and watch what would happen, I'd be all over it just for the novelty. I don't care to drive up the road, I prefer to hike it since I think it's safer and less scary. Incidentally, the road to the top changes in winter due to the proximity to the edge, the heavy snowfall, and terrain changes. So the road in winter is not the same as the summer, for the upper part at least. Same thing with the hiking trail, the Tuckerman Ravine trail is closed in winter due to being too dangerous and the Lion's Head is opened.

But I hear you on the whole SAG wagon thing and airing down. It's probably a liability thing with the Mountain, they tend to be a little on the 'overcautious' side to put it mildly. I akin it to the guy who ran the whole Appalachian Trail. he did break the record, which was a feat unto itself, but he did so supported fully by a whole crew to minimize his down time. As such I am less impressed, compared to the person who did it unsupported.
    I would not bet that the road had never been ridden in winter. If you know the right people, they will sometimes look the other way. I'm not saying it has been done but it would not surprise me. There's a huge contingent of fat bikers with mountaineering skills around here that are capable. I am aware of some pretty cool (summer) night rides up and down the mountain. I'm willing to bet Mr. Johnson rode down in a van or snowcat.

The Tuck trail is not closed in winter, in fact it's frequently used. You are probably thinking about the Lion's Head summer trail that is closed (due to avalanche danger) and diverted to the safer LH winter trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This is cool, I have done the poach ride up on a standard mtn bike under a full moon.
    (Not in winter). Would love to do the winter race this year. I was just about to pay for my entrance fee and glanced at the course map....sigh.. Race finish is at the half way point. Still a cool race, but I suspect they will not allow you to just keep climbing past the half way.

Quote from race site;
    "Ski, Shoe and Fatbike to the Clouds is a 10K race. The first 4K are held on the trail system at Great Glen Trails. The final 6K climb the Mt. Washington Auto Road to treeline."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    This is cool, I have done the poach ride up on a standard mtn bike under a full moon.
    (Not in winter). Would love to do the winter race this year. I was just about to pay for my entrance fee and glanced at the course map....sigh.. Race finish is at the half way point. Still a cool race, but I suspect they will not allow you to just keep climbing past the half way.

Quote from race site;
    "Ski, Shoe and Fatbike to the Clouds is a 10K race. The first 4K are held on the trail system at Great Glen Trails. The final 6K climb the Mt. Washington Auto Road to treeline."
    Kind of a bummer. My guess is that it has something to do with the logistics of getting people down. For the races held in Summer you need to make your own arrangements on getting back down from the summit (cyclists are not allowed to ride down the auto road).

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Also they had to get permission to ride up, as the road doesn't allow cycling normally.
    They turned me away a couple of summers ago. i didn't have a Redbull sponsorship, that was probably the issue.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

beer thief
    ...(cyclists are not allowed to ride down the auto road).
    Back in the days of rim brakes, riding down would result in tubes getting melted and blowing out. One of my buddies had a front flat at high speed under a full moon and managed to get mostly slowed down before laying it down. Good times

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Back in the days of rim brakes, riding down would result in tubes getting melted and blowing out. One of my buddies had a front flat at high speed under a full moon and managed to get mostly slowed down before laying it down. Good times
    Yep... either that or it was off into the great gulf wilderness!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post

The Tuck trail is not closed in winter, in fact it's frequently used. You are probably thinking about the Lion's Head summer trail that is closed (due to avalanche danger) and diverted to the safer LH winter trail.
    Yes, my bad. I was thinking of the summer trail and got them confused. I so infrequently go up in summer due to all the people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    Tim Johnson is a very bad ass CX racer and I enjoyed watching him race in the past 8-10 years, but this is a little much. I appreciate that it's a windy mountain and East guys get all protective of it, but if you have a snow cat as sag wagon and a dude in a down suit jumps out to let air out of your tire for you.....well.....I guess I just don't see what's so special about this one, sorry.
    It is consistently listed as one of the hardest climbs in North America, in the summer. It would be more impressive if it was a race, even an invitational for a small group of fast pros, but riding it is still impressive.