Fatbike freeride- Mtbr.com

Fatbike freeride

I find the current definition of freeride in mountain biking to be disappointing. Whatís meant to be freedom from the tyranny of trails has instead been enslaved by the shovel. Of course, there arenít too many places where a mountain bike is truly the best tool for absolutely open, off trail exploring. Places where skill and vision play as much a role in making a route go as terrain. Slickrock is one. Beaches and floodplains, with a fatbike, are another.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/39033238?color=ffffff" width="890" height="501" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like the fork cam, but not a big fan of music choice.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice video. When I got my first mountain bike back in 1990 I used to ride in a similar fashion. I would just point and ride anywhere I thought I could go without serious injury or arrest.
    Flotilla or Buffet.

conjoinicorned
    sweet vid

this is my favorite part of fat biking, just riding wherever, total "freeriding'!

found a lot of this riding where i'm working in northern canada

what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Great vid. I also agree with you about "freeriding"! I much prefer using my Pug off-trail exploring the real outdoors rather follow the sheep round the "red route"..

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    LOL music by Screamtracker on the Commodore Amiga!
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Perpetual n00b
    Fat bike is so good it can warp through huge downed trees as seen at 2:40!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Truly...Freeriding...riding wild and free

Great vid!

Quote Originally Posted by yakkoTDI View Post
    Nice video. When I got my first mountain bike back in 1990 I used to ride in a similar fashion. I would just point and ride anywhere I thought I could go without serious injury or arrest.
    Yep, this riding very much recalls my 14 year old self taking off on my Bridgestone MB5 and riding all the trails at the local state park, well before mountain biking was on their radar. Now the place has some great MTB specific trails, but the rest are off limits. There's a lot to be said for the challenge of riding stuff not made to IMBA specs.

The area in the video is only the most extensive flood plain I've found along the Flathead between Columbia Falls and Kalispell. Today I made my second trip down that particular stretch of river, riding the extensive dry meanders, avoiding bushwacking as much as possible, and using a packraft to cross the river when necessary. I got the route a little more dialed this time, and only used the raft 6 times. All told, a ~15 mile pavement ride to the start, six crossings with maybe a half mile of down river travel on water, and 20+ meandering miles of sand, gravel, cobbles, and deer trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatbike freeride-img_5043.jpg  

mtbr member
    Cool vid. Nice idea mounting the camera on the fork. Might be a good location for giving a better idea of how steep some stuff is when it is....a...steep.

Try doing that route through the sand mud and water on a skinny bike. Not.

Yes to the old days of being able to ride anywhere and no one paid attention except maybe wtf was that. I used to spend whole afternoons climbing around on the big rocks in Central Park. Kind of doubt you can get away with that any more.
    Last edited by modifier; 03-24-2012 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DhRoadStar View Post
    I like the fork cam, but not a big fan of music choice.
    I think it's pretty fitting. What do you want Danzig. Or Lil Wayne? LOL

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/39137056?color=ffffff" width="890" height="501" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I now what you are talking about, it is cool to have a bike that gives the freedom to ride anywhere, but that is called fatbiking, not freeride

If I look for a freeride video I want to see some awesome airtime, scarry downhill's,... not sand and pebles on a beach There are people using there fatbike for freeride, I would like to see those movies in a fatbike freeride topic.

I am sorry for the comparison, but It's like those kids on youtube with stupid video's showing nothing but with a promissing title and lots of views. You click it and wait for something to happen and in the end you feel cheated

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse View Post
    Sorry, but a title creates an expectation, and some words already have a meaning
    It was a disappointing movie, just because of the expectations created in the title.

I could make a disapointing movie from someone riding around a bit in a field and call it trial because he didn't put a foot on the ground,
    or just: big busty blonde riding nude, and only show forward handlebar views of the same movie, immediately 5000 views

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothing's impossible View Post
    Sorry, but a title creates an expectation, and some words already have a meaning
    It was a disappointing movie, just because of the expectations created in the title.

I could make a disapointing movie from someone riding around a bit in a field and call it trial because he didn't put a foot on the ground,
    or just: big busty blonde riding nude, and only show forward handlebar views of the same movie, immediately 5000 views
    Take your high faluten expectations and stuff them around your backside!!!

nvphatty
    I for one appreciate the vid from a little different perspective than say another poster who remains obvious.

Simply coming to share with the community gets appreciation from me i could care less what, where, when or how you did any of it just that your time and effort and thoughts of bringing it to us is cool.

is buachail foighneach me
    It is a little misleading to title it that on vimeo. It's going to be annoying for some people who are searching for freeride videos. I'm pretty sure there will be more eyes rolled by those folks than there will be to NI for calling you out on it. This is one of the reasons questions get asked repeatedly on forums and there are so many redundant threads: People have to wade through so much mislabeled crap when they search that the likelihood of giving up on searching for the answer is pretty high.

mtbr member
    Nice!! Love the freedom of the fatbike. It really is on the wish list!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The movie behind this?

This place needs an enema
    The responses to this thread are further signs of the apocalypse.

I can think of several reasons that Fatbikes arriving to the masses is not, overall, a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    It is a little misleading to title it that on vimeo. It's going to be annoying for some people who are searching for freeride videos.

I can live with that Sean. See the first sentences of the thread.

is buachail foighneach me
    I agreed with you entirely when the term first started to come into popular use among mountain bikers, and especially when crack-n-fail copyrighted it. But it's stuck, and there it is. As disorganized as I am, some things, particularly information, are worth organizing. Noone is going to search 'freeride' hoping to find info on riding fatbikes on gravel. Whatever though. Someone's gotta be that guy going around disorganizing everything, and someone's gotta be that guy complaining about it, and someone's gotta be the guy agreeing with the complainer. We can all live with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well, Sean, thank you for taking of the rough edge!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The responses to this thread are further signs of the apocalypse.

I can think of several reasons that Fatbikes arriving to the masses is not, overall, a good thing.
    Oh come on Mike,

Spots, fat tires, gps, video cameras, big travel bikes, packrafts, all super fun tools to go father and share the outdoors, but like any tool can be miss-used.

Dave, thanks for the exploring stoke and clever freeride reuse
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    Oh come on Mike..
    I was thinking much the same, but when I was out today, I was looking at some of the tracks and imagining the damage a hyped up teenager on a Nate equipped full sus DH bike could do.

When fatbikes get mass acceptance I suspect there's going to be a lot more thrill seeking type riding compared to going interesting places. If that is confined to trail parks, no problem.

However, I remember being able to ride motorbikes just about anywhere, then along came the geared up rooster tailing high performance dirtbikes scouring deep grooves in the tracks to the accompaniment of huge dust clouds and noise, followed shortly by the introduction of restrictive legislation. Now almost all the interesting places are closed to motorbikes.

We could be next.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

Members who have read this thread: 0