FatBike Beach Ride-Homer, AK-Fun-Labor Day Wkend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

FatBike Beach Ride-Homer, AK-Fun-Labor Day Wkend

The Homer Cycling Club is planning a FatBike Beach Festival for next summer and I want to invite folks to come down to Homer this Labor Day weekend and help us plan by joining us on a casual beach ride from Homer to Anchor Pt and back over 2 days, with a fun campout in the middle at the Anchor River.

This will be a very casual introductory ride for those new to beach riding and a good way for folks to let us know what they want in a festival. For those who don't want to carry camp gear, they can just do a day ride out/back from Homer and drive to Anchor Pt w/ marshmellows and enjoy our fire on the beach. If the weather is really crappy we'll just do day rides from Homer's Bishop's Beach and enjoy good coffee/tea and great food at 2 Sisters Bakery, but the weather will be nice!

Our club's goal is to make Homer the Moab of FatBike Beach Riding and our festival hopes to introduce the world to this unique and fun place to ride.

We'll ride Sept. 3-4 (Sat-Sun) so folks can ride at their own pace and still be able to travel back home safely on Mon/Labor Day. Low Tide on Sat is at 12:46pm so we'll leave Bishop's Beach around 11am so we can enjoy some great riding. Low tide on Sun is at 1:44pm so we can enjoy a relaxing morning and hit the beach by Noon or sooner for those needing more time.

Again this is a fun casual beach ride, not a race, but those who want to go harder/faster can do so by continuing up the beach. Just make sure you have a tide book and know how to read it.

I hope to see many of you Sept 3rd!

Pat Irwin
    Homer Cycling Club

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Damn, talk about bad timing and late notice! Hope everyone has fun!!! ;p

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sorry for the late notice

Yea Jordy, sorry for the late notice. We just finished a 3-day beach ride with some outsiders and the idea for a big event next summer was hatched over a camp fire near the Anchor River. I wanted to throw something together this fall as a teaser for next year's event, so it truly is a last minute, thrown together, fun casual beach ride.

I'm treating this as an "I'm going for a beach ride and anyone who wants to join me is welcome" kind of ride. I figured the last holiday of the summer would attract a few folks, but we'll see if it's too short notice.

Hope others can make itů

Pat

@adelorenzo
    Hey Pat,

We can't make it over but stoked about the idea for next year, post dates when you have them. We're planning a Homer trip for next summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Solstice

Anthony,

Right now we're thinking Solstice weekend, or close to it, so outsiders can experience 24 hrs of daylight as well as fun beach riding. This is not set in stone, however, and we'll post a for-sure date soon.

Look forward to beach riding with you all next summer!

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Labor Day Beach Ride

We're still riding the beach next weekend from Homer, Ak and we hope lots of folks show up, so zip on up to Alaska next weekend and join us for awesome beach riding.

No packraft needed! Just a Fatbike and a desire to have fun! No river crossings on this one, just beach, firm beach, and more good riding beach!

Pat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pat, What're the best campgrounds in Homer for spending friday and sunday nights? Thanks, Steve Ryan

After posting this I thought maybe just set up camp in Anchor point and leave it up to save on carrying gear on the beach, but then I don't get to use my racks. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Camp on the beach

You can camp on Bishop's Beach and be near the start and 2 Sisters coffee/food in the morning. Just go onto the beach, turn left, and you'll find decent quiet camp spots in the first 200 yards.
    Or you can camp on the spit in many paid spots, or in the city camp ground off the ocean and outta the wind.

Choices, choices...

Pat