Fatback sizing help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Fatback sizing help

Anyone out there 5' 9" with a 30.5" inseam riding a 16" Ti Fatback? Reason I ask is it appears I'm in between Fatback sizing. I've been on a 18" Ti (original design) and have felt a little stretched. I'll be buying a new Ti Fatback for a little more standover clearance and really want to get it right this time. Thanks in advance.
    c

Lighten up.
    I'm 5' 8" with a pants inseam of 32" (sorry, don't have my actual measurements handy). I was in-between on Ti Fatback sizing, too, having owned a Medium Santa Cruz Heckler, 18" Surly 1x1, 18" Pugsley, 50cm Long Haul Trucker and 18" Big Dummy.

After a couple of conversations with the guys at Speedway and here in the Fatbikes threads, I decided to run on the smaller side and go with a 16". While I'm sure an 18" would have been OK, I'm glad I chose the more compact frame—I can throw it around and the cockpit's just right with my Jones loop bar.

My .02 cents, whatever it's worth...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's worth a lot more than .02 cents to me if I quit buying the wrong frame size. I do have the luxury of going into Speedway and talking to them myself. Greg's been out of town, and I'm just getting excited about a new build. Thanks for the info mango!
    c

mtbr member
    spend the extra cash and get get professionally fitted
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

Lighten up.
    Agreed about the pro fitting. Well worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Spoke to Greg at Speedway yesterday. We're going to do a proper fitting on my road bike, followed by a demo of both the 16" and the 18" fatback. I'll follow up with our discovery once we figure it out. Presumably after the snow has fallen. Thanks for the input.
    c

mtbr member
    do the demo on dirt rather than pavement...Fatties Feel Funny on pavement...doesn't need to be a technical trail, just something not asphalt...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    do the demo on dirt rather than pavement...Fatties Feel Funny on pavement...doesn't need to be a technical trail, just something not asphalt...
    You really don't need to wait until it snows. Ride em both on the STA trails and maybe some flatter stuff down below. You should be able to tell which one you want. It seems like the top tube will be too long on the larger one but I suppose it depends on how you like to sit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    You really don't need to wait until it snows. Ride em both on the STA trails and maybe some flatter stuff down below. You should be able to tell which one you want. It seems like the top tube will be too long on the larger one but I suppose it depends on how you like to sit.
    Speedway doesn't have any 18" Ti, or aluminum fatbacks in stock right now. I'll have to wait for at least October until I can do a comparison of both sizes.

mtbr member
    So much for instant gratification.

mtbr member
    call arctic cycles...Billy might be able to hook you up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ANYRIDE View Post
    Speedway doesn't have any 18" Ti, or aluminum fatbacks in stock right now. I'll have to wait for at least October until I can do a comparison of both sizes.
    That would be a good reason to wait.

Fatback
    I have an 18" ti, as well as 16", and all sizes in aluminum. Just not all on the floor at the moment. The next batch of frames arrives in a few weeks, just fyi. One thing to keep in mind is we use longer top tubes as it gives the ride we are looking for in the conditions we ride. It's best to order the same size frame as your normal mtb and not try to match the top tube lengths. This is a generalization of course but a good starting point. The reason for this is the longer head tube and typical bar height which in most cases brings you back a good centimeter or so. We also use bars with a fair amount of sweep bringing you back even further.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=thirstywork;8367008]I have an 18" ti, as well as 16", and all sizes in aluminum. Just not all on the floor at the moment. The next batch of frames arrives in a few weeks, just fyi."

????? Not at all what I got from our conversation. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by ANYRIDE; 08-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I went with the 18" Fatback. I do run high sweep Jones Loops and ditched my setback seatpost almost immediately (Put me too close to the wide seat stays). If you like straight bars, like a tighter fit and want to be able to throw the bike around a bit a 16" may work very well.

At our similar size (unless we have very different reach) the 18" makes for a very comfortable fit for me but I have spent most of my recent years on the road...

Good luck and Enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    One other consideration is frame bag sizing, if you are going to use one. The medium frame lets you pack more-

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been on a pugsley for about 10 minutes on single track once which means I dont know anything but after reading most of your good people posts for about a year now, am I to assume that this will be the ultimate machine for roots,sand and rocks. Im in South Florida therefore snow will never be in the equation.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA Grizzly View Post
    I've been on a pugsley for about 10 minutes on single track once which means I dont know anything but after reading most of your good people posts for about a year now, am I to assume that this will be the ultimate machine for roots,sand and rocks. Im in South Florida therefore snow will never be in the equation.
    I would say no. I've never ridden in south Florida, so I may not be qualified to answer your question. I have owned a ti fatback for about three years now and have taken it on everything from pavement to singletrack, both dirt and snow covered. In Alaska, if I only had one bike to choose, it would be a fat tire bike. If I lived in the lower 48 states, I probably wouldn't own one.

mtbr member
    "If I lived in the lower 48 states, I probably wouldn't own one"

Why not? With three wheelsets and four sets of tires I've got four bikes...I suppose in many of the warmer regions, you could get by with two wheelsets, unless dunes were your target audience. Does the Swiss army still ride bikes? If they do they should be riding fat bikes...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Anyride and damnitman, thank you both for your opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA Grizzly View Post
    ...am I to assume that this will be the ultimate machine for roots,sand and rocks...
    It's the ultimate hard tail mtb for people who want to use their bike to get to out of the way places as opposed to riding round in circles at the local playground (trail park) doing dudeish gnarly rad things for an admiring audience.

IMO it's the first real mountainbike - everything else is a trail bike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Rednose/Greenback
    I'm 5'10 with a 31" inseam. Got the opportunity to test ride a 16" alu Fatback just hours before Hurricane Irene rolled in (props to redline814!). This gave me solid confirmation the 18" frame was best for me. It also was consistent with advice that Tim (Speedway) provided. In the build queue now for the next batch of frames and feeling confident I made the right choice.