Fatback Front Suspension- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Fatback Front Suspension

I've searched the forums and all the front suspension setups for fat bikes (I have a Fatback) seem to be homegrown customs. Has anyone been in touch w/ any of the front suspension manufacturers to see if they (a) are planning on making one for those of us running big 3.8 front tires or (b) would make one if asked? It seems that the biggest issue is the crown since the rest of the fork would consist of the stock parts used to build other front suspension set ups. Any thoughts would be great as I'm looking to get more use out of my ride during the warm weather and found that riding my local trails w/o any "squish" up front was not as fun as my other bikes w/ front "squish" - the lack of rear suspension is easily resolved w/ a myriad of saddle options (koobi), suspension posts and tire pressure - but up front - not so much. Thanks all (and thanks to Greg @ Speedcycles for trying to answer this offline).

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Sandman is in the process of developing some.

As far as what's available _right now_, Maverick DUC32 and Maverick SC32 - they need thru axle hubs, and the SC32 can be hard to find.

I'm growing impatient and thinking about what is feasible as a homegrown custom.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm in the same boat. I figure the easiest to build, strongest and most reliable, will be something DIY based on a modified fork I saw in a thread here. Basically a fixed fork to two crowns, then move that whole assembly. With the correct differing length on the arms, the movement with rotation of the fork assembly should maintain or increase trail with compression travel. I'd go with a solid wood fill between the two "crowns", for extra stiffness, cut out for weight reduction.

Question is: what diameter and thickness of tube to use.

Also need to know what Aluminum alloy to use for the machined parts.

One of that thread's images:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatback Front Suspension-imga0006-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My fat front suspension using an old manitou fork is detailed over at;
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...18#post8210018

I havn't yet got my hands on one yet but after researching further I am thinking that a 1996-1999 Marzocchi Bomber fork would be an even more viable starting point as a fatfbike suspension fork conversion. (like this fork http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=701069 )
    These marzocchi's have 100mm of spacing between the stanchion tubes, they have disk brake mounting tabs and the lower leg connector arch is removeable so is amenable to replacement with a custom made arch to clear a fat tire. You would then just need to reworking the fork travel so that it bottoms out before the larger tire hits the fork crown.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I figure the easiest to build, strongest and most reliable, will be something DIY based on a modified fork I saw in a thread here. Basically a fixed fork to two crowns, then move that whole assembly. With the correct differing length on the arms, the movement with rotation of the fork assembly should maintain or increase trail with compression travel. I'd go with a solid wood fill between the two "crowns", for extra stiffness, cut out for weight reduction.

Question is: what diameter and thickness of tube to use.

Also need to know what Aluminum alloy to use for the machined parts.:
    One thing I don't like about linkage forks is ... not really their design, but their execution to date. I admit that I'm not versed on what bushing can take how much force over how many cycles, but it bothers me how small they generally appear. If the number one complaint about linkage forks is that they wear out quickly, why not address the wear issue? Other parts of a bicycle have much larger diameter bearings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

New question here.

Is there consensus that a front suspension fork would be in sufficient demand to warrant investing in designing/manufacturing one?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    design/manufacture?
    different crown and different lowers is all that's needed by any of the majors.
    if RS and Fox are willing to do G2 geo JUST for gary fisher's requirements, there's no reason they couldn't just do them an inch and a half wider.
    wouldn't be as big a re-tooling as it sounds.
    This is all assuming anyone's taking fatbikes as a potentially new market, and to be fair, it's really a crazy small niche right now.
    But so were 29ers once upon a time... and there are some companies that're near-revered in the 29er world because they stepped up to the plate first.

I think 4"x4" with fat tires would be beautiful!!
    I see fat tires as not being the fast ticket, but the conquer-all.
    And while my orange patriot with gazzis isn't technically true fat, it's a great example of slack geo, run over anything.
    I could do with a couple inches less squish and still be more'n happy.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Well, yeah, Sandman thinks so =)

(sorry couldn't help myself)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    ... what bushing can take how much force over how many cycles, ... why not address the wear issue? ...
    Bushing Material: Delrin AF (Delrin with "Teflon" in it)
    Amazing stuff.
    Low friction, dry- self-lubricating low-wear plastic. Do not grease or oil. Tolerant of dirt.
    The harder the steel, the lower the resistance.
    Likes a pre-load. Takes hits.
    Coefficient of friction: dynamic is higher than static - no slip-stick, therefore some damping.
    Available in tube, rod and plate/sheet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Looks like the Sandman fork will be super sweet! Until then here is a shameless plug - Maverick SC 32 | eBay

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2na time View Post
    Looks like the Sandman fork will be super sweet! Until then here is a shameless plug - Maverick SC 32 | eBay
    Guess you really want to sell that thing

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Well, actually not really. I do want to get some new projects going and right now there is a niche market for the SC. So that will be the first piece to go to help fund the rest. I also have become a Lefty fan so I hope to be equipping my stable with a bit more lop-sidedness. We'll see... I have a mandate from the Mrs to net 0 on bike projects.

Happy trails!

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2na time View Post
    We'll see... I have a mandate from the Mrs to net 0 on bike projects.

Happy trails!
    I hear you on that one! Good luck with the sale