mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?

Iím just checking this brand out , anyone own one ?
    Know about them. ? Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nice bikes. The Hadley hub option is sweet. (I own the Fatback Hadley hubs, but not the frame)

aka bOb
    They've been around since the birth of fat biking and had one myself, great bikes!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Lots of people ride them around here. The two popular ones are Fatback and 9:zero:7. They seem to alternate a lot, one year 907 will come out with a new frame or something new, the next year Fatback will, popularity seems to generally stay pretty even. Both are great bikes and both are owned by people that contribute a lot to the sport and riders. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. The guys working at the shop are great.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    They've been around since the birth of fat biking and had one myself, great bikes!!
    Indeed.

Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?-img_1329.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Corvus this year... the FLT was out of stock in size xl so I ended up with the last 22 in the regular version. Nice bike, feels good on dirt and works much better than the fatboy and rocky 70 I have ridden previously on snow.

Some minor QC issues with my frame (wrong size bolts in the rear rack mounts, delaminated inserts on a coupleónothing a small dab of epoxy wonít fix). The revelate framebag that matches the Corvus has been a game changer for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Same here. I'd own one again!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Picked up a base Skookum a few weeks ago (NX / Mastadon) and added a dropper post. Havenít put many miles on it yet, but am fully impressed by the ride feel and build quality.
    Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?-c51416d2-b014-4432-a3b9-b1812e0cc2f1.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got me a Rhino this past summer. Its been great so far. Initially had a QC issue with the original frame, but they replaced it. 22XL 30lbs tubeless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?-55ce305f-2893-482b-9218-cde132d2273f.jpg  

Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?-fffd528d-a1d6-4faa-8c64-9bf8109f05fa.jpg  

Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?-5291db4e-21e3-410e-859f-8a942840b2cf.jpg  

Fatback bikes - anyone ride one ?-038b9e19-64f3-49de-81ba-18ec0be947d8.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Looks awesome- tire size ? Review ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I own two Fatback bikes. I have a 2010 Aluminum version and a 2018 Corvus FLT (carbon), both size small. They have been excellent for exclusive winter snow riding. I went with the Hadley hubs on the FLT as I wished I had upgraded to them on the 2010 bike. The Hadleys are awesome. I'm running studded Dillinger 4s laced to carbon Fatback Footprint wheels on the FLT. I am also running a SRAM X01 Eagle drivetrain with a 30t chain ring/170mm cranks. Tons of fun winter miles on the 2010 bike and the FLT in a second season is just awesome as its handling and performance are superior. These bikes are very well designed and made. The guys at Fatback/Speedway are excellent to work with. The owner (Greg Matayas) is very good people. I highly recommend this brand and there are far more options now than there were in 2009/10 when I bought the aluminum bike.

turtles make me hot
    I had bought an orange ano frame back in 2011 or 12. I was collecting parts to build it and learned it wouldn't fit Lou so I bought a 907 and gave the Fatback to my brother. We built it with Rolling Darryls and Bontrager Barbegazis. It's a great bike. He loves it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBran View Post
    Got me a Rhino this past summer. Its been great so far. Initially had a QC issue with the original frame, but they replaced it. 22XL 30lbs tubeless
    Did you test any other fat bikes ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Here in Bend Oregon there are lots of people riding Fatback bikes. Everyone I have talked to loves them, will be my next Fat bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I thought I could run 27.5 x 3.8 Maxxis they told me today only 27.5 x 3.0 or 26 x 4.8 ...

Iíd have to buy new rims - Dammit

Iím not a fan of 26 anything

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    [QUOTE=TheNatureBoy;13921004]Did you test any other fat bikes ?

Truthfully No. They make a size 22 and I needed the largest bike I could find. I compared it to specialized Fatboy and Trek Farley and in comparison felt like I was getting the most for my money as far as the frame and components. Check out ridefatbikes.ca this is their Canadian dealer. They have a ton of educational info on their site and only deal in Foes and Fatback custom bikes. The Fatback hits all the check boxes like ability to run all 3 different wheel sizes without sliding dropouts, 1 X drivetrain, narrow Q factor, 197 X 12 rear, 150 X 15 front axels. Iím currently running JJ 4.8s. The rims came pretaped. All I had to do was add sealant and valves. The bike is super comfortable to ride and easy to handle. I truly look forward to riding it, because itís fun. Goes over anything and climbs everything, just not as fast as skinnier wheeled bikes. It rips on the downhills and handles like a dream. I mainly use it for trail riding (single track), some beach and hopefully snow. The Rhino is a good all a rounder. If your looking fo something faster the Corvus is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Awesome review - have you run 27.5 x 3?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum1 View Post
    Picked up a base Skookum a few weeks ago (NX / Mastadon) and added a dropper post. Havenít put many miles on it yet, but am fully impressed by the ride feel and build quality.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C51416D2-B014-4432-A3B9-B1812E0CC2F1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	338.3 KB 
ID:	1229251
    Have you been able to put more time on your skookum? I am thinking about a skookum/flt. Does anyone know what the differences between the two framesets? Also does Fatback make a carbon fork that will work with the skookum frames?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    I thought I could run 27.5 x 3.8 Maxxis they told me today only 27.5 x 3.0 or 26 x 4.8 ...

Iíd have to buy new rims - Dammit

Iím not a fan of 26 anything

I find it hard to believe a frame that can take a 26x4.8 won't take a 27.5x3.8. Can you borrow one from somebody and trial fit it?

I did that with my bike. There was a set of 27.5 fat wheels waiting to picked up at the bike shop so I brought my bike in and we tried em. I didn't ride it because they were not mine but we all were curious if they would fit. They did.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I find it hard to believe a frame that can take a 26x4.8 won't take a 27.5x3.8. Can you borrow one from somebody and trial fit it?

I did that with my bike. There was a set of 27.5 fat wheels waiting to picked up at the bike shop so I brought my bike in and we tried em. I didn't ride it because they were not mine but we all were curious if they would fit. They did.
    I think the bike can but Iíd need new rims...

I called they said they take 27.5 x 3.0

turtles make me hot
    You'd certainly need new rims. I thought you meant building a wheelset for it.
    I like turtles

WNC Native
    If it will fit 26x4.8, it will definitely fit 27.5x3.8 on 50-80mm rims.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Human Test Subject
    @bigbran FSA makes a 32mm setback seatpost which might help with your fit

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I find it hard to believe a frame that can take a 26x4.8 won't take a 27.5x3.8.
    It would fit FOR SURE, without any problem.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I've seen bigbran on his bike. It needs to be a little bigger. I have the same problem.
    I like turtles

Human Test Subject
    Do they even make more setback than that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Do they even make more setback than that?
    I believe he was referring to the bike. It doesnít feel small, but after seeing myself on it. It could be bigger. They claim Xl fits 6 3Ē to 6 8Ē. Iím only 6 5Ē.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My significant other and I have been riding Fatback's for three-five years now and I wouldn't be caught dead on the Iditarod Trail Invitational without it. :-)

But seriously, if you like to get out and explore, ride gnarly trails, race ultra-endurance events then Fatback makes a bike just for you. The owner and the crew working at Fatback also takes the time to really invest in their communities and that really helped make my decision as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hereís a comparison I recently came up after really looking at my most recent purchases.

I purchased my FATBACK Rhino first, then shortly after purchased my wife a 19 Salsa Mukluk. The Mukluk is $100 less. After the fact I am regretting the purchase of the Mukluk for several reasons. Mostly the outdated tech.

The Rhino is compatible with the Manitou Mastodon, the Mukluk isnít due to crown clearance even though it claims to be a suspension corrected frame. This means you can only upgrade to a Bluto. Old tech

The Rhino is 1 X 11 SRAM GX the Mukluk is 1 X 10 Deore. Old tech.

The Rhino rims come taped with tubeless ready JJ 4.8s. Just add valves and sealant. The Mukluk comes with the MAXXIS Minion FBR. Not tubeless. Again old tech.

Weight. My Rhino XL size 22 weighs 30lbs. The Mukluk in a Large is listed on their website at 33lbs 7oz, so for an XL your looking at 34lbs 8oz.

I guess the tires and tubes would account for most of this, so I would have to spend another $250 on the Mukluk just to shave off 3 lbs for tires and tubes and still be a pound an a half heavier than the Rhino.

Mukluk has sliding alternator dropouts so it can fit different wheel sizes. The Rhino accomplishes the same without the use of adjustable dropouts. Again Mukluk with the older tech.

Maybe Iím wrong, but if I could do it again Iíd get another Rhino. Hey. Live and learn.

Over all the Mukluk is still just as well built. I just believe the FATBACK is currently ahead of the curve in tech, at least in this comparison.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the recommendation. I picked up a Truvativ T30 Carbon post 400mm last week. 25mm setback. I already get nervous about cracking the frame and wouldnít even want to try 32mm setback after hearing some of the horror stories on the forum. The carbon has a lot of give in comparison the aluminum, which I hope will mitigate any frame damage.