Fat Tires-- Nate vs. Larry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fat Tires-- Nate vs. Larry?

The tires that came on my Mukluk are the Nates... for pure snow riding should I invest in a pair of Larrys???
    I was talking to a fellow fatbike rider this weekend who has raced in some of the big races here in Alaska, he felt like the Larrys would be a lot better.
    Last edited by curly1; 10-15-2012 at 12:37 PM.

All fat, all the time.
    Are you talking float or grip?.....Never heard of anyone going from a nate to a larry....usually the other way around.
    I'd give the nate's a chance before dropping money on new tires!

All fat, all the time.
    Or if you really wanted to try a larry, I have a used one I'd trade you for a nate, plus cash of course from my end since used....good tread left

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    besides building my fatbike the next best purchase, was my nate. by far the best way to improve your fatbike experience.

Wizard of the Trail
    Depends on conditions. If its wet snow, the Nate is best. Not sure how Nate will do on powder. For my area, I find the Nate to be the best all around tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Human Test Subject
    I went from BFLs to Nates and back to BFLs, but only so I could sell them before I put too many miles on them. Going to get Bud and Lou when they're available. If those never came out I would only use BFLs for dry conditions.

Nates saved my ass in the slop. Great tires.

is buachail foighneach me
    I rode Nate f & r for a while last winter in AK. The traction was ridiculous and a huge advantage, but that advantage was severely offset by the ridiculous rolling resistance. I swapped the rear tire back to an endo, and experienced coasting for long periods of time again, but the traction out back was just gone. Switched the endo out to a backward Larry and got enough traction back to be happy. I can't see myself taking the Nate off the front though. I would like to try a HuDu out back, but the Larry works well enough on that end of the bike that it'll probably be a while before I actually buy one.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Dude, Iíll trade you one brand-new Endomorph, plus two used Endomorphs, one lightly used Larry, plus two slightly-more-than-lightly-used Larrys for your two Nates. PM me, letís make a deal.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Dude, Iíll trade you one brand-new Endomorph, plus two used Endomorphs, one lightly used Larry, plus two slightly-more-than-lightly-used Larrys for your two Nates. PM me, letís make a deal.
    ahhhh do i detect a play @ humor??

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    ahhhh do i detect a play @ humor??
    No. I am dead serious. The two fatbike build kits I ordered late last year came with those meager tires. They have just been hanging in my garage, and in the meantime Iíve spent over $500 on Nates and my latest set on my 9:zero:7 are pretty freakiní worn down. Iíd gladly trade if someone just wants to toodle around in the snow or sand. I ride on rocks, roots, mud, loose gravelly off-camber high-speed downhill stuff. I need Nates. These anemic snow tires I have hanging in my garage are SCREAMING for someone to take them out to the snowÖ of which there hasnít been any near where I live for a long long time.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I turned my larry's into semi-slicks for beach and road rides by cutting of all the knobs,
    On trails l most like husker du's, they have more bite and roll better than the larry's.

If extreme traction is required I use nates, but they make me 5 km/ h slower!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0