fat tire springer front fork? Do they exist?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

fat tire springer front fork? Do they exist?

I have just purchased the VEE snowshoe 2xl and put it on my fat tire trike and it comes so close to both sides of the front fork it ridiculous. I was also looking at my beach cruiser and saw that I could modify the bushings to make the 2xl fit the front fork. I than spent a ton of time trying to find a springer fork for fat tire and they don't seem to exist? Anyone ???

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've never seen one. I would think the closest thing is the Jones truss fork.

mtbr member
    fat tire springer front fork? Do they exist?-imag0104.jpg

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    MM HMM! ^^ THAT ONE. Was going to be bummed if anyone didn't post it. Was built by Black Sheep, yes?

The linkage forks, they are coming.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Where do you get that beast. Nice fork. I took my fork that came with my Marcagi and spaced it out. It is not strong and I need a superior fork. Tell me where to look up the fork you posted please.

mtbr member
    Black Sheep bikes had it on their show bike at NHMBS a couple of years ago

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Based on your earlier posts, you have some pretty good fab skills, and your creations are cool. Maybe look at something like a Paughco springer fork and adapt that? JP Cycles also carries Hardbody springer forks that are about half the price. They will all be heavy, but with your trikes, I am guessing weight is not the first issue.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks, I have been thinking about a Springer design to manufacture that is a basic hollow tube style fork with the pivot hardware at the axle as typical in most Springer forks with a lighter weight hollow tube fork in the front. The top of the forward hollow tube will have a flat platform with a Three wide spring set. I bought two from Amazon and reverse engineered them to come up with a design. see attached. I really like the pivot hardware on the bottom of picture two. and the top of picture three. My design will be much more stable and HD, with a Triple spring set and pivot hardware to allow forward position of the wheel. I am thinking of making it in 1-1/8 and 1" threaded to allow conversion guys more options. I will post the design concepts soon. Any thoughts if i am headed down a dead end or would it sell??? also you can see in the pictures how close the 2xl is to the fork sides on my custom beach cruiser trike. the widening I did makes the whole unit unstable and weak. looks cool but not practical. Name:  fork 7.JPG
Views: 2144
Size:  16.4 KBName:  fork six.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  12.9 KBfat tire springer front fork? Do they exist?-fork6.jpgfat tire springer front fork? Do they exist?-img_5092.jpgfat tire springer front fork? Do they exist?-img_5099.jpg
    Joe Bush
    Lakeland Minnesota
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Would it sell? Maybe. It would have to be less than 5 pounds, have to perform at least to the standard of the Bluto, and have to be somewhere south of $700 (?). Certainly the exposed spring design, while cool, might not be a selling point. A single, modern shock would have more appeal to the masses. On the other hand, if you could come up with a complete retro design frame with rear outboard shocks (like and H-D XL) and a springer fork, there might be some interest for people looking for something unusual. Unless you are looking at a high-tech design like a modern BMW telelever fork built to bicycle weights, it will probably be for curiosity only.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It would sell to exactly three people, you probably know those people already, so ask them how much they'll pay for a fork like you describe and make a few, otherwise build one for yourself and call it quits.

This sort of thing is more attune to a burning man concept, impractical when compared to modern technology, but it looks cool when you're high and it's been a long week in the desert with not enough hydration

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nurse Ben
    Hope you feel better. NOT!
    its gals like you that go nowhere and hide behind your key board. I bet you have never built anything other than a model plane. Oh yea I forgot "Nurse Ben" probably Barbie dolls
    Joe Bush
    Lakeland Minnesota
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    deuxdiesel
    Thanks for the nice message. I have looked at the forks mentioned in the replies. I think I would have one that fits more of the cool hot rod vintage/beach cruiser. designed to be lighter duty and yes south of $700. Your mono shock and "Bluto" crossed with the black sheep model would be interesting. I am going to go down both paths to see if it is able to be built. Watch for the posts. I will send to you. I actually started the CADD drawings a week ago for the first design. Thanks again.
    Joe Bush
    Lakeland Minnesota
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks.
    Joe Bush
    Lakeland Minnesota
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fattiretrike.com View Post
    Nurse Ben
    its gals like you that go nowhere and hide behind your key board. I bet you have never built anything other than a model plane. Oh yea I forgot "Nurse Ben" probably Barbie dolls
    You asked if it would sell. His answer wasn't particularly snotty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    You asked if it would sell. His answer wasn't particularly snotty.
    Didn't come off snotty to me at all. He answered what you asked.

I think it would sell, but then again it's a fork that fits into a niche market, a springer fork rather than the traditional style suspension forks. Would I try one? Heck ya. Looks heavy but would be interesting. Price point would have to be pretty low to match the current market with the bluto, all the inverted suspension fork companies, and the lefty (lefty's are really the fork I want to have, when I find one for a good deal I'll buy the brackets and lace up the hub). Again, you have to remember that it's a niche market, and that not everyone would like a fork like that. I'm 17 and recognize that, I'm sure others realize that too. Their profit margins wouldn't be great, so it would be labor of passion, as the fork makers wouldn't be making enough. Not trying to come off negative here at all, again, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just basing it off from my rit engineering courses that I'm in, and the business and production standpoints.

mtbr member
    here is a FB page that has lots of custom forks.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/781039908607318/
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

turtles make me hot
    Those Lauf forks are kinda springer-asque...

But they're NINE HUNDRED AND NINETY DOLLARS!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattiretrike.com View Post
    Nurse Ben
    A little unsolicited advice for you. If you are going to put yourself out there in the public eye by doing positive things you should watch your social media presence. You caught my attention a few weeks back with your first posts and something seemed "off".

I am involved in a bike related charitable endeavor and I caught the last bit of a related story last night. I researched it because I am open to expanding and/or modifying our current approach with different partners.

When I put it together that you were the same entity I was researching it gave me pause in pursuing any possibilities.
    Last edited by Jeff_G; 02-09-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN