mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Fat/semi fat Surly troll help amigos?

Ola.
    Ive been toying with the idea of this for some time. Basically I知 about to finish a long, long bike tour and after riding the Great Divide through the USA and then meeting a guy on a fat machine in Ecuador I知 convinced by the big volume/low pressure tyre thing. I知 definitely seeing the advantages of running a tubeless semi fat setup but after a brief foray into looking at new wheels etc. I知 non the wiser. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource for all this stuff please as its a bit of a minefield to me. I知 basically wanting to convert my 2017 Troll frame to a 1X11 running 3inch tyres on 50mm tubeless compatible rims. Any recommendations on rims, groupsets or anything else to consider much appreciated. Surly says 3.0 inch max on this frame on a 50mm wheel. And I知 in the UK so we haven稚 fully assimilated this concept as yet.
    Ta
    Andy

This place needs an enema
    If you're largely riding hard surfaces (like the divide) then going to a plus-sized (3" or so) tire is going to give you more comfort at the cost of a bit of efficiency. No free lunch.

I've ridden the divide but my goal was speed -- and I'd never, ever choose a plus tire for that.

But for touring the divide a 2.8" or 3" tire sure would be comfy day after day.

If I were you I'd lean toward something like a 40mm wide rim -- still plenty of air volume using that width, but not nearly as slow as using a 50mm rim on the hard surfaces you've described.

Bontrager XR2 and Maxxis Chronicle tires are probably closest to what you're after.

edit: the fact that the Troll is 26" had escaped me. Sorry 'bout that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    If you're after 3", the Surly Knard and WTB Ranger are about your only options in a touring-ish tire in a 26" size. The 27tpi Knard is hard wearing but doesn't have much for transition knobs and isn't tubeless ready. The Ranger is tubeless compatible and relatively fast, but wears quicker. A WTB scrapper i40 would fit fine.

You could get a narrow wide chainring for your existing Deore crank, which would probably fit fine in the middle chainring position (might need to move to the outer) or if you wanted a nicer crank, you could run one of Raceface's cinch style or a dedicated 1x boost crank.

For the rear, SLX cassettes can be found for a reasonable price, SLX or XT derailleur and an XT shifter. (For 26", I'd think 11-42 would be enough. No experience with SRAM.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    That痴 great.
    Thanks for the reply. Im still lost in the mist of all this but I知 looking forward to turning the troll from touring mule to plus size bike packing steed.