Thread: fat rear hub

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

fat rear hub

I currently have a bolt-on 36h, 190mm, threaded freewheel rear hub. I want to change over to a cassette hub with the same 36h, 190mm specs(bolt-on or QR). I cant seem to find a hub with all those specs. a little help.....

since 4/10/2009
    36 hole is kinda unnecessary, really

turtles make me hot
    Really. All of the good hubs are 32 hole.
    How much do you want to spend? I have bikes with Bike Hub Store hubs and Hope hubs. The BHS hub is 140 bucks. Hope Pro4 is like 240.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The big issue here is the 190mm hub width and 36h requirment, which makes me think this is from a wallyworld fatbike. Mongoose dolomite, hitch, or malus.

Replacments are available, and I know there are or were 190mm 36H freehubs available on aliexpress. If you search the "mongoose dolomite" thread, you'll find some links on there. ultimately, this is one of the reasons I sold my dolomite. Finding a replacement rear hub was not an easy task, and ultimately it was cheaper to buy a better bike with 170mm spacing and sell the dolomite.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    not what I asked, Harold. thx

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Really. All of the good hubs are 32 hole.
    How much do you want to spend? I have bikes with Bike Hub Store hubs and Hope hubs. The BHS hub is 140 bucks. Hope Pro4 is like 240.
    lookin around 32h hubs seem to be the beez neez. im installing a front motor hub with 36h. 36h is what my current rims have and want to keep. 32h hubs are whats out there in 190mm and actually prefer to get but I don't want mismatched rims. if I can find a 32h front motor hub , im going hope hub in the rear laced with clown shoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    The big issue here is the 190mm hub width and 36h requirment, which makes me think this is from a wallyworld fatbike. Mongoose dolomite, hitch, or malus.

Replacments are available, and I know there are or were 190mm 36H freehubs available on aliexpress. If you search the "mongoose dolomite" thread, you'll find some links on there. ultimately, this is one of the reasons I sold my dolomite. Finding a replacement rear hub was not an easy task, and ultimately it was cheaper to buy a better bike with 170mm spacing and sell the dolomite.
    not a wally world bike

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie Puente View Post
    not what I asked, Harold. thx
    Maybe not directly, but it's relevant because 36h hubs are extremely uncommon.

lookin around 32h hubs seem to be the beez neez. im installing a front motor hub with 36h. 36h is what my current rims have and want to keep. 32h hubs are whats out there in 190mm and actually prefer to get but I don't want mismatched rims. if I can find a 32h front motor hub , im going hope hub in the rear laced with clown shoes.
    32h is the most common because it's plenty strong laced 3x with halfway decent rims.

not a wally world bike
    No, but the listed specs indicate that it's an otherwise cheap bike. 36h hubs are there to cover up the fact that the rims are cheap and probably not very strong. It's also an e-bike, which is a relevant fact that you conveniently omitted from your original post. It makes sense that a motor hub will have a higher spoke count. But that doesn't mean it's necessary for the non-motorized hub to also have a higher spoke count.

mtbr member
    not a wally world bike
    What bike is it? Wally world bike or not, a 190mm hub with 36h is rare. Aliexpress is the only place I heard of them, unless you buy from Pacific Bikes (mongoose's parent company, which is the manufacturer of wallyworld fat bikes). But they only carry the freewheel hub, which you've already had issues with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    What bike is it? Wally world bike or not, a 190mm hub with 36h is rare. Aliexpress is the only place I heard of them, unless you buy from Pacific Bikes (mongoose's parent company, which is the manufacturer of wallyworld fat bikes). But they only carry the freewheel hub, which you've already had issues with.
    @ watts888: rare yes, cheap maybe. no issues, just don't want mismatched rims.
    @ Harold: all I was asking for was some info on hubs, not how cheap my bike is. sorry I cant afford a $2-3k bike, dick

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    its a cheap ass, bottom of the barrel, not even worth buying according to some bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What bike is it? The more info you offer the more folks can help

mtbr member
    its a cheap ass, bottom of the barrel, not even worth buying according to some bike
    Still doesn't answer the question about what bike it is.

Cheap bikes can still be good bikes. I owned a Mongoose Dolomite, one of those bottom of the barrel wallyworld fat bikes. It was fun as hell, and worked pretty good, except the rear hub. The axle bent after the first couple days. Everything else was good if you knew how to regrease the bearings and adjust them. Lately, I've been riding a trek 820, one of the cheapest bikes Trek puts it's name on. Hell of a lot of fun on the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Still doesn't answer the question about what bike it is.

Cheap bikes can still be good bikes. I owned a Mongoose Dolomite, one of those bottom of the barrel wallyworld fat bikes. It was fun as hell, and worked pretty good, except the rear hub. The axle bent after the first couple days. Everything else was good if you knew how to regrease the bearings and adjust them. Lately, I've been riding a trek 820, one of the cheapest bikes Trek puts it's name on. Hell of a lot of fun on the trails.
    it's a raptor atx650

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    this is what it used to look like
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fat rear hub-raptor-atx650-4.jpg  

fat rear hub-20160528_191630.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    its not an ebike, I'm installing (planning on) a front motor hub. it has a 120mm BB, 190mm rear spacing, some cheap suspension fork 135mm, aluminum frame.

mtbr member
    ...aluminum frame.
    That's the killer. If it was a steel frame, you can bend it in and use a 170mm rear hub, and there are lots of 36h hubs available in that size. I think aliexpress is going to be the only option. As an alternative, you can use 190x12mm thru-axle hub if you can find one in 36h, but you'll have to file about 2mm off the rear dropout to get it to fit. Not hard, but another option.

for the e-bike conversion, have you looked at doing a mid-drive motor instead. I've heard a lot of people say that putting a front hub motor on a fat bike can cause some crazy steering issues. You can get a 120mm bottom bracket cut down to work with a 100mm mid-drive motor too. Pretty easy since it's aluminum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Dude...That is AMERICA'S STRONGEST BIG TIRE BIKE!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Isn't the fatboy a 190 spacing
    Lots of take offs for sale

Or take offs from a dolomite

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    if I do end up getting a bike with 170mm rear spacing, will 100mm rims fit?
    that motobecane boris x9 looks sexy.

mtbr member
    if I do end up getting a bike with 170mm rear spacing, will 100mm rims fit?
    that motobecane boris x9 looks sexy.
    I own one, and yes. 100mm rims will fit. It's more about the tire width. 4" is no problem. 4.5" and larger start getting into issues. Of course, every tire manufacturer lies about their tire width once you get up into this range. I have a surly 3.7 that's as wide as my 4.0 vee missions, and when looking at some bike specs on the diamondback mason, their 3.8" tire actually comes out about 2.8" when measured.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    hey swerny, how was I needlessly rude? I was asking a question about hubs and the guy tells me I have a cheap bike. How's that not needlessly rude? Did I ding him? No. But I guess this forum, much like others, has guys with a massive sense of entitlement.

mtbr member
    @ watts888: rare yes, cheap maybe. no issues, just don't want mismatched rims.
    @ Harold: all I was asking for was some info on hubs, not how cheap my bike is. sorry I cant afford a $2-3k bike, dick
    hey swerny, how was I needlessly rude? I was asking a question about hubs and the guy tells me I have a cheap bike. How's that not needlessly rude? Did I ding him? No. But I guess this forum, much like others, has guys with a massive sense of entitlement.
    pretty obvious i think
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc