Thread: Fat Pike Fork

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Fat Pike Fork

I just picked up my new Foes FXR yesterday and the shop had a Mutz, which was the owner's. He said it was awesome, but the Bluto fork wasn't enough fork up front for a rear end with that much travel. Rock Shox has the market on fat forks right now, and the Pike is burley enough. They need to put a fat version out on the street and I will order up a Mutz as my all the time trail bike.....

All fat, all the time.
    I have to agree, based on how people rave about the Pike now, and with the full-sus fatty options getting better as time goes on.

Dirt Huffer
    I'd like to see X-Fusion come out with a cheaper fork then a Fat Pike that's just as good.

mtbr member
    I have to agree. I run my bluto at 140psi, with no perceptible sag, yet still bottom it every ride. I know I need to max out the bottomless tokens, but haven't gotten around to it. And this is on a hardtail.

A beefier stanchion and a touch more travel wouldn't hurt. Or a much more progressive tune.

Lord Thunderbottom
    The new manitou magnum on the new stache looks plenty promising as well, they can make that fatter anytime now
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

aka bOb
    I heard they are on a container sitting on a ship somewhere waiting to be unloaded

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I heard they are on a container sitting on a ship somewhere waiting to be unloaded
    Not any longer. They were off loaded...where the ship sat. Don't worry, all those forks worked in unison so it was a gentle landing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    About 6 months ago I was excited about full suspension fat bikes, but with the advent of a 27.5+ fully, I leaning more towards keeping my rigid fat bike for the winter and B+ for the other 8 months. A 27.5+ Pike would be awesome.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    I'd like to see X-Fusion come out with a cheaper fork then a Fat Pike that's just as good.
    That would be great, I am installing a Metric on my new FXR today.....

Elitest thrill junkie
    If the bluto takes a pike damper, it'll take an avalanche cartridge, which would be the upgrade IMO, as it can come with a bottom-out cone, it might have to use a 32 boxxer top-cap, but theoretically if the charger works in the bluto, this should be able to work in the bluto too, with true high/low speed damping, great low-speed support, great blow-off and ability to handle chunk, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Salsa Cycles 27.5+ prototype spotted - BikeRadar
    @deuxdiesel , read this , they mentioned a Pike

mtbr member
    The fat pike might be a thing soon.
    Grumblings down at the LBS about it.
    Anyone hear anything similar?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Haven’t heard anything but I hope your right. I’d buy one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If the bluto takes a pike damper, it'll take an avalanche cartridge, which would be the upgrade IMO, as it can come with a bottom-out cone, it might have to use a 32 boxxer top-cap, but theoretically if the charger works in the bluto, this should be able to work in the bluto too, with true high/low speed damping, great low-speed support, great blow-off and ability to handle chunk, etc.
    Nope, pike has 35mm stanchions and the bluto 32mm, so the pike damper won't fit. I think the best the pike gets is the RTC3 damper which dates back to about 2014 and is far from sophisticated, plus not a good as the more modern Manitou Mastodon's damper based on feedback I've heard from lots of people.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ten80 View Post
    Nope, pike has 35mm stanchions and the bluto 32mm, so the pike damper won't fit. I think the best the pike gets is the RTC3 damper which dates back to about 2014 and is far from sophisticated, plus not a good as the more modern Manitou Mastodon's damper based on feedback I've heard from lots of people.
    Yeah, that post was from years ago. The interesting thing was I did see the bluto being tested late at night out here before it was released.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

aka bOb
    From my source inside Q is that originally they wanted a fat Pike but Rockshox showed up with a fat Tora so the met in the middle (not really) with a fat Reba. No idea on if there is any fat Pikes coming or not, more than happy with the Mastodon.

mtbr member
    more choices are good.

The fact that vendors are still asking for big $ for the Bluto shows there's a market.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    more choices are good.

The fact that vendors are still asking for big $ for the Bluto shows there's a market.
    I thought there would be a wave of cheap blutos with the mastodon but nothing yet.

Wont fit my farley in winter mode but if i get 3.8” tires would be ok. I run a 32sc fox on my top fuel so im sure the bluto is fine for my xc needs. But for the pricing i might as well get a mastodon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I thought there would be a wave of cheap blutos with the mastodon but nothing yet.

Wont fit my farley in winter mode but if i get 3.8” tires would be ok. I run a 32sc fox on my top fuel so im sure the bluto is fine for my xc needs. But for the pricing i might as well get a mastodon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m in the same situation. I don’t want to drop the better part of $1000 CAD for a Mastodon, but with used Bluto’s going for over $550, what’s one to do?