fat front setup, compare to 26" standard size tyre+front suspension fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

fat front setup, compare to 26" standard size tyre+front suspension fork

sorry, noob question, but i'm new to this, so:

1. is that really fat front setup has same function (or even had more advantages) with front suspension fork?
    2. how it ride? is it fat front setup is heavier? or lighter than front susp.?

i'm planning to get pugsley fork and Big fat larry up front, i usually do XC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adjitridika View Post
    sorry, noob question, but i'm new to this, so:

1. is that really fat front setup has same function (or even had more advantages) with front suspension fork?
    2. how it ride? is it fat front setup is heavier? or lighter than front susp.?

i'm planning to get pugsley fork and Big fat larry up front, i usually do XC
    I hope I understand your question correctly.
    I am planning to build up my Trek 8900 frame over the winter with plans of using my stock Mukluk fork and wheel that I have hanging in the garage collecting dust.
    The fat front will give you somewhat of the feel of a front suspension, with tire pressure being the key to a "controlled" ride. My intent with the Trek will be for longer distance back country/gravel road runner. Weight will probably be heavier with the fat front but depending really on what rim/tire/tube set-up you use. Increases in traction and grip with better roll over capability with the fat front will be a bonus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    its heavier, slower, and has less give for the techy stuff...

but it freaking rocks!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adjitridika View Post
    ..1. is that really fat front setup has same function (or even had more advantages) with front suspension fork?...
    No. It's more like an undamped spring fork from the 80s. The trick is to keep your pressure as low as possible to minimise that effect. The advantage is the way you can simply steamroller over stuff that you would rather avoid on a skinnier tyre.

The combined weight of the wheel and fork is similar to an ordinary suspension setup.

The ride is more ATV than XC, and the fatbike will take you into places you wouldn't try with an ordinary mtb. That said, some people are having a bit of success racing their fatbikes
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If I compare a 26" tire and a fat tire there are 3 major differences.

-The fat tire has the diameter of a 29'er so it clears obstacles more easy.
    -The fat tire has a wider thread resulting in a difference in grip/ drag- float, greatly depending on tire pressure.
    -The fat tire allows much more travel before you snakebite it than a normal tire, depending again on the air pressure.

And in addition, the weight of the rim and tire will be more than doubled compared to normal XC material.

For the faster and less technical rides I prefer 29'er wheels but with the frnt suspension, it is only for really technical trails, enduro, or the real soft stuff that I prefer the thick tires!

Members who have read this thread: 0