Fat Fork Options on Normal Frame??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Fat Fork Options on Normal Frame??

I am in the midst of creating a 'semi - fat ' bike for use at Arrowhead... due to sponsorship i have to use a standard frame and rebranding a pugsley is not acceptable..

I want to get hold of a fat fork to allow at least a full fat front end and then i can at least bias my weight towards the front that will have the most flotation.

The bike will be singlespeed and ideally i would want front and rear wheels to be interchangeable..

Frame is a Genesis IO

What are my options???

thanks
    shoestring-racing.blogspot.com

Derailleur? No thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Front and rear interchangability, but not with tires, correct? Well, any non-offset 135mm fork will do. Salsa Enabler would be a good choice, but the A-to-C would be a bit much for a 26er. Personally, I'd have a frame that could run a 29" in back for a little more float.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks..

Yeah tyres would need to be swapped if wheels were.. its just a 'get out of jail free' option that i want to be able to swap wheels.

Thought Salsa fork was not available yet??? What other non offset forks are there??

29er would be great but my sponsor don't produce one

Derailleur? No thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How about you just get the Surly non-offset fork and as an easier drivetrain backup, get a Tomicog for the rear. Then if your freewheel/freehub dies you can flip the wheel, remove the rotor, bolt on the Tomicog and go. Probably easier than trying to swap tires in the cold.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks Schmucker

Good idea on the fixed cog.. think i will carry one with me.. hoping this bike will be used for all kinds of adventures so gonna try and do the 135mm front and back if i can..

Saw a post about sandmanbikes and his forks seem very reasonably priced and 135mm spaced..

Derailleur? No thanks.

mtbr member
    So a Pugsley Fork will or will not work with say a Karate Monkey?

PF

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

Spooooon!
    Sounds like you're bringing a knife to a gun fight.

mtbr member

?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    Sounds like you're bringing a knife to a gun fight.

wtf?

EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

Spooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by PanFry
    wtf?
    It's a metaphor. It sounds to me like the op's sponsor doesn't make the right equipment for the event. Hopefully the sponsor is not pusing him to race in these types of conditions with the wrong gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairllama
    It's a metaphor. It sounds to me like the op's sponsor doesn't make the right equipment for the event. Hopefully the sponsor is not pusing him to race in these types of conditions with the wrong gear.
    I know what yoyu mean.. no pressure from my sponsor.. more pressure from me for them to let me do this.. if you've seen my blog you'll know i always 'bring a knife to a gunfight' but enjoy the extra challenge.

I'm under no illusion to how hard this race is gonna be.. thats why i'm going.

Derailleur? No thanks.

Spooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by paul78
    no pressure from my sponsor.. more pressure from me for them to let me do this..
    I don't know how the whole sponsorship things works. You actually have to get permission to enter a race?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well yeah...

Sponsorship is all about marketing.. if the sponsor deems your race will have little or no marketable value then they won't support you doing it....

this is the double edged sword of being sponsored in that yeah you get free stuff but to a degree you have to base your riding to maximise exposure for the company you ride for, not really a big deal if you take the time to make sure the company you ride for has the same ideals as your riding.. in my case they do.

Derailleur? No thanks.

surly and rigid
    Apr 2004
    Vicious Cycles makes a 135 fork. Don't know the price but they should be available.

Ride = Life
    Black Sheep make a Steel and Ti 135mm and 100mm front fork. I love the Ti 135mm, which what I use. I purchased mine from Chain Reaction Cycles in AK.

As for your rear wheel. You most likely will fit Snowcat rims on the back. Use the widest tire you can fit back there, maybe DH tire.

http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

Interesting quote from Snowcat's website "In 200X Gary Fisher contacted us to ask if we would be willing to make a set of SnowCats for a new style of mountain bike he was considering building - one that had 29 inch wheels, but was not just a ‘sidewalk bike’. We told Gary “sure”, but we never envisioned anyone else ever wanting a pair."

That should make your sponsor happy to know.
    "Riding is about rhythm and flow. It's the wind in your face and the challenge of hammering up a long hill…" - Gary Klein

Members who have read this thread: 0