fat fork options for normal 29er frames- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

fat fork options for normal 29er frames

I'm looking again at getting a fat front for my current 29er SS. I have a steel Jones setup as a 1x9. I like riding it and it makes the SS seem scary in the cornering dept. I've started thinking a fat front on the SS would be cool. It would also mean I had a backup wheel/tire if I ever needed it.

So I'm looking for options that I would be able to swap between bikes. 135mm front hub (not rear hub flipped). 45mm offset or higher. about 470mm A-2-C height. Anything like that out there without going custom?

WNC Native

Salsa Enabler

It's what I'm switching to right now!

http://www.salsacycles.com/components/enabler_fork/
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    It's what I'm switching to right now!

http://www.salsacycles.com/components/enabler_fork/
    It doesn't meet my requirement to NOT take a rear hub though. I'm don't fully understand the difference, but I think I will have front caliper alignment issues if I tried to use a 135 Front hub with that fork instead of a rear like it was build for. Is that not true, or easily remedied?

WNC Native
    Well I'm pretty sure the New Surly "Front" 135mm hub is basically their rear hub without freewheel threads.

As far as the forks for the other 135mm front hubs, I'm not sure on that.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure the New Surly "Front" 135mm hub is basically their rear hub without freewheel threads.

As far as the forks for the other 135mm front hubs, I'm not sure on that.
    I'll probably be having Jones build me another wheel. I don't think his front hub is exactly compatible with Salsa design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I think I will have front caliper alignment issues if I tried to use a 135 Front hub with that fork instead of a rear like it was build for.
    Yes- the rotor will be about 5mm too close to the caliper mounting tabs on the fork.

The Black Sheep (steel or ti) and White Bros. carbon forks that Chain Reaction/907 sells fit your geometry requirements and take a 135 front hub. I don't have the specs for the forks Fatback offers, but they are probably in the ballpark as well.

Andy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy FitzGibbon View Post
    Yes- the rotor will be about 5mm too close to the caliper mounting tabs on the fork.

The Black Sheep (steel or ti) and White Bros. carbon forks that Chain Reaction/907 sells fit your geometry requirements and take a 135 front hub. I don't have the specs for the forks Fatback offers, but they are probably in the ballpark as well.

Andy
    The Black Sheep and White Bros forks are expensive! The Fatback steel fork appear to be either $160 or $200.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    rear SS hubs are much less expensive than front specific 135mm hub (paul hub or jones hub) since you are building new wheel why not get SS rear hub and enabler fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vemeno View Post
    rear SS hubs are much less expensive than front specific 135mm hub (paul hub or jones hub) since you are building new wheel why not get SS rear hub and enabler fork?
    Because I want to have a second wheel I can swap with the first.

WNC Native
    Why not just switch out the rigid/29er fork & wheel with the fat front fork/wheel combo when desired? Really doesn't take more than 10 minutes or so and your ready to roll either (just pick up a second crown race if you don't already have one).

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I'm looking again at getting a fat front for my current 29er SS. I have a steel Jones setup as a 1x9. I like riding it and it makes the SS seem scary in the cornering dept. I've started thinking a fat front on the SS would be cool. It would also mean I had a backup wheel/tire if I ever needed it.

So I'm looking for options that I would be able to swap between bikes. 135mm front hub (not rear hub flipped). 45mm offset or higher. about 470mm A-2-C height. Anything like that out there without going custom?
    I'm curious, why aren't you getting the Jones Fat Fork? I noticed you said 470mm A-C, and the Jones is much shorter than that.

One thing I discovered after getting my 2008-era Jones (with ti truss fork) is the dropout is made for a 9mm diameter axle hub, not the 10mm of most rear hubs. I couldn't get a regular rear hub into the dropouts. If I had to guess, they're still made for 9mm axles and rear hubs are still not compatible.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I'm curious, why aren't you getting the Jones Fat Fork? I noticed you said 470mm A-C, and the Jones is much shorter than that.

One thing I discovered after getting my 2008-era Jones (with ti truss fork) is the dropout is made for a 9mm diameter axle hub, not the 10mm of most rear hubs. I couldn't get a regular rear hub into the dropouts. If I had to guess, they're still made for 9mm axles and rear hubs are still not compatible.
    I think I totally misread this. I thought you were saying you had a Jones SS. Duh.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

WNC Native
    I have a steel Jones setup as a 1x9.
    Drevil, I think you read it right the first time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    I think I totally misread this. I thought you were saying you had a Jones SS. Duh.
    Well yeah, I WISH I also had a Jones SS. But alas no. My SS is a regular 29er. Which is why I still want a fat front for it, but I would like it to double as a backup wheel for my Jones...

WNC Native
    It all makes more sense now. Email JJones and see if he can get you one?

The Fatback steel fork would probably work good too. I'm not sure what the offset is, but I think I remember their forks being 465mm and 460mm depending on how new it is. It may be 450 and 455mm, can't remember for sure.

aka bOb
    I have a 468 Fatback steel fork and looking to get a 460. Also not sure what the offset is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have a 468 Fatback steel fork and looking to get a 460. Also not sure what the offset is.
    How much was it?

aka bOb
    How much was it?
    I picked it up new/used from someone. I want to try a 460mm just to see it it will make much of a difference so I think I might order one.