Fat Fenders - Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fat Fenders - Questions

I've got a 'skinny' fender on my Jones and it hasn't been cutting the mustard (eye full of crud doesn't help either) with my H-billie.

So other than Dave's Mud shovel is there any other 'fat' fenders out there? --- Which seem to be perpetually out of stock.

But the good thing is, I've got the means to fix that...Maybe.

While working on the crudflap, (waiting on a bracket to be drawn up), I decided to put my sculpting and vacuum table skills up to the test.

I have come up with a 15.5" x 6" front fender.

Fat Fenders - Questions-fender1.jpgFat Fenders - Questions-fender2.jpgFat Fenders - Questions-fender3.jpg
    It's realllllly rough and I quite literally 'broke the mold' on the second draw I did. (Made out of .06" ABS)

Any interest in one of these?

What about a half fat wide front fender (for the 29+/27+ guys)?

I've got some ideas for a rear fender, but right now I'm limited by my fabrication skills (and tools in my garage).

IF, and I mean a BIG IF, I can track down a fabricator to mass produce a fat front fender, is anyone in the market for one?

Thanks,
    Worldskipper
    aka Ken E.
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just cut up some plastic trash cans from Wallyworld, drilled a few holes and used zip ties. Maybe not aesthetically pleasing, but quite functional.

The rear fender is a Dave's mud shovel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I got a set of Mucky Nutz that seem to work pretty well for the front. I got the fat face and fat gut.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A closer view. I used some 3M clear frame protector tape where the zip ties go around and where the fenders could rub.

mtbr member
    Amazing how much muck a fat tyre can throw up in damp conditions...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Absolutely.

mtbr member
    I have the sks grand mom and dad. Hate them both. Once the rear fender moves a tad bit it's useless. The front I kinda broke the plastic peice that the fender snaps in to so it doesn't line up and it's pretty much useless.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Found one little trick for snow this winter experimenting. I took Sno-Seal, basically bees wax and put in on the bottom bracket shell and other metal parts where slush would accumulate. Worked awesome and just had tiny water beads. It helped cut back on frozen gunk at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdryjanski View Post
    Found one little trick for snow this winter experimenting. I took Sno-Seal, basically bees wax and put in on the bottom bracket shell and other metal parts where slush would accumulate. Worked awesome and just had tiny water beads. It helped cut back on frozen gunk at least.
    I always polish my bike when it's stripped down or before a first build for that reason as opposed to looking shiny.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cdryjanski View Post
    A lot of dirt bike riders spray WD40 on their fenders/frame/bashplate; anywhere mud will get flung so it'll come off easier at the car wash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    A closer view. I used some 3M clear frame protector tape where the zip ties go around and where the fenders could rub.
    Nice, your bike looks like mine, lots of plastic on it!

How long is that fender of yours? How wide? How much did you spend on garbage cans?

Workin for the weekend!
    I don't get it... The bikes look like a 6th graders science project now, all clad up with junk. It's a fact that at some point a little mud will be flung, whilst riding off-road. How bad can it be, ride it, wash it.

Sometimes less is more!
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    I don't get it... The bikes look like a 6th graders science project now, all clad up with junk. It's a fact that at some point a little mud will be flung, whilst riding off-road. How bad can it be, ride it, wash it.

Sometimes less is more!
    Its not that I mind getting wet and dirty. ..but I do have a problem with hypothermia. When it warms up enough I'll probably take them off. Well. ..the front and rear may stay. I'm still not crazy about muck in my face and all over my back. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    Nice, your bike looks like mine, lots of plastic on it!

How long is that fender of yours? How wide? How much did you spend on garbage cans?
    The downtube fender is 21 inches long and 6 1/2 at the top and tapers a bit towards the bottom bracket. I spent about 10-12 bucks on the trash cans. Used a smaller one for the front fender and the one behind the seat tube. They weigh practically nothing and keep a ton of crap off of me. I tested them out a few days ago after we'd had a day of rain and 6 inches of melting snow. Purposely ran through some deep wide puddles at about 10 mph and only my toes and inside bottom of my pants got wet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    After a few days of running through puddles.

I think they work pretty good.

aka bOb
    I spray mine with pam, keeps the frog guts from sticking

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Probably smells good too!

mtbr member
    Finally found PDM Daves Mud Shovel fronts fenders at bicyclebuys.com . They finally got them in stock. Found the rear last week. They are awesome.

I made the same type of bottom bracket fender on mine. I find this the most usefull as it keeps the BB from becoming a pile of mud. Sometimes I use the front PDW fender, rarely the rear. I find the rear PDW only works if you are really flinging water.

I went to a hardware store and got those cable velcro ties, work much better than zip ties and you can remove easily.

Fat Fenders - Questions-10999432_10206429626883286_593304607190372714_n.jpg
    Fat Fenders - Questions-11046942_10206429630803384_3834642749724685539_n.jpg
    Fat Fenders - Questions-10419946_10206429630483376_1188983846754084174_n.jpg

mtbr member
    I wonder how long it will take for a manufacturer to have the brainwave of fitting full fenders and chain guards? No reason there should be any real weight penalty if they're made out of something like polyprop.

I've got 4 years on the same ISIS BB. Amazing what a bit of protection from spray does.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I really like my Big-Os. Hard to beat full coverage. Got the Pugs specific ones. Plenty of clearance for 4" (or less) tires. Huge clearance on my Nanuks on Marge Lites (3.5" wide) and I'll bet the same for the FBNs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlutonicPlague View Post
    I really like my Big-Os. Hard to beat full coverage. Got the Pugs specific ones. Plenty of clearance for 4" (or less) tires. Huge clearance on my Nanuks on Marge Lites (3.5" wide) and I'll bet the same for the FBNs.
    What are big o'S, never heard of them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    What are big o'S, never heard of them?
    Fender Kits - Big O Manufacturing

They do really, really nice full coverage fender kits designed to fit specific bikes (:

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    My wife and I are using the Beaver Guard on our fat bikes. (Didn't see them mentioned in this thread.)

Hands On with the Beaver Guard Fat Bike Fender for Bluto

Strap on Some Bluto Protection with new Beaver Guard Fat Bike Fender