Fat Farley Five- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fat Farley Five

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Fat Farley Five

Hello. First post. I live in Alaska and have been considering a fat bike. The local bike shop has recommend the Fat Farley 5 due to its ability to upgrade ability. The shop sells 907 bikes, but they recommended the Farley for this 47 year old beginner fate biker. The price is 1,890.00. Selection in Alaska is limited; should I look at REI? I want to use this bike all season and am willing to spend a little more money for the best value. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    absolutely zero wrong with Trek Farley. it's a great fat bike.

otherwise, get whatever floats your boat.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Farleys are great bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    absolutely zero wrong with Trek Farley. it's a great fat bike.

otherwise, get whatever floats your boat.
    Thanks! I would get whatever floats my boat, but living in the interior of Alaska means that selection is limited. I just donít know enough about them to make a comfortable, informed decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    Farleys are great bikes.
    Great. Makes me think that it would be the best choice for me. Maybe Iím trying to talk myself into the 9 Zero 7 bikes (they look cool). Who knows?

EAT MORE GRIME
    look cool , maybe the bike rides fine, from a company that doesn't have a ton of history making bikes....

or you want a bike well known that rides very well and has a killer warranty and made by one of the big three ?

907 might be a good bike, but Trek... no doubts

either one...spin the wheel, flip a coin.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    look cool , maybe the bike rides fine, from a company that doesn't have a ton of history making bikes....

or you want a bike well known that rides very well and has a killer warranty and made by one of the big three ?

907 might be a good bike, but Trek... no doubts

either one...spin the wheel, flip a coin.
    Got it! Iím going to choose the Trek. Thatís whatís my gut told me to do, but needed to hear it from someone else. I tend to overthink things before making a decision. I do like the looks of the 9 Zero 6 bikes, but there doesnít seem to be too much information available. I appreciate the response. Makes my decision much easier.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sallenthornton View Post
    Hello. First post. I live in Alaska and have been considering a fat bike. The local bike shop has recommend the Fat Farley 5 due to its ability to upgrade ability. The shop sells 907 bikes, but they recommended the Farley for this 47 year old beginner fate biker. The price is 1,890.00. Selection in Alaska is limited; should I look at REI? I want to use this bike all season and am willing to spend a little more money for the best value. Thoughts?

There are a lot more bike shops if it's Anchorage (where the REI is) and I would suggest to check them out, there's a huge selection of fatbikes in the stores right now, Trek, Specialized, Borealis, 907, Fatback, Surly, Salsa and others.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I looked at both Trek and 907 when I bought my first fat bike. While I am a Trek fan (have two Trek road bikes) I am also an Alaskan. So I wanted to support the local company and went with the 907. I have been very happy with it for the past 3 years. Customer service has been great in my experience as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There are a lot more bike shops if it's Anchorage (where the REI is) and I would suggest to check them out, there's a huge selection of fatbikes in the stores right now, Trek, Specialized, Borealis, 907, Fatback, Surly, Salsa and others.

I live in North Pole. We have an REI here in Fairbanks. Maybe I will drive over and take a look. I am leaning to the Farley 5, but it doesnít cost anything to continue looking at my options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aka bOb
    I live in North Pole. We have an REI here in Fairbanks. Maybe I will drive over and take a look. I am leaning to the Farley 5, but it doesnít cost anything to continue looking at my options.

They are all great bikes and personally I wouldn't waste my time looking too much. If your gut says Trek I would just do it, exceptional bike that imho you will be more than happy with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Bought the Farley this year, and maybe's it's just he newness talking (don't think so though), but it's a great bike! For me it came down to LBS but couldn't be more happy with it. My $0.02

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stras View Post
    Bought the Farley this year, and maybe's it's just he newness talking (don't think so though), but it's a great bike! For me it came down to LBS but couldn't be more happy with it. My $0.02
    Thank you for your response. Its good to hear from someone that owns the bike. I know you like your bike, but did you keep it stick or have you performed upgrades?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It is stock, the only thing i have considered is going tubeless and prob will at some point just haven't really needed to yet, seems like once you get them rolling it's not really harder to keep them moving, imo. I felt with my limited knowledge of components and upgrades I'd prob just screw it up, and I think it's already set up great.

mtbr member
    You say year round bike...you have to consider if you will need/want:
    • tires narrower than 4.5 for riding in non-snow
    • rigid vs hardtail vs full suspension

My first fat bike bike was a Fatboy. I rode it year-round. Nice bike in the winter, but it was clear that I really wanted a hardtail for non-winter, so I put a Bluto on it, and the fatter tires weren't optimal for the trails when there was no snow. That Bluto made the bike better, but it turned out that what I really wanted was a full-suspension, so I sold the Fatboy and bought a Farley EX8. I find that I prefer the 3.8 tires for year round. I don't need the suspension for riding on snow, so I just lock the shocks out.

The White Jeff W
    Another thumbsup for the Farley.
    No moss...

Elitest thrill junkie

Ahh, I thought the REI was a recent addition in Fairbanks...but now I'm thinking about it, it's the Costco I was thinking of.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Ahh, I thought the REI was a recent addition in Fairbanks...but now I'm thinking about it, it's the Costco I was thinking of.
    Yes! We have been very thankful that Costco has arrived! Sams closing really out a hurting on the local restaurants.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    You say year round bike...you have to consider if you will need/want:
    • tires narrower than 4.5 for riding in non-snow
    • rigid vs hardtail vs full suspension

My first fat bike bike was a Fatboy. I rode it year-round. Nice bike in the winter, but it was clear that I really wanted a hardtail for non-winter, so I put a Bluto on it, and the fatter tires weren't optimal for the trails when there was no snow. That Bluto made the bike better, but it turned out that what I really wanted was a full-suspension, so I sold the Fatboy and bought a Farley EX8. I find that I prefer the 3.8 tires for year round. I don't need the suspension for riding on snow, so I just lock the shocks out.
    I think this is what is making my decision so hard. I think fat bike would be the best decision based on the climate, but the excitement of riding down a trail on a mountain (slowly) has my interest. Based on my needs and wants, I feel like I may need two bikes!

mtbr member
    I think this is what is making my decision so hard. I think fat bike would be the best decision based on the climate, but the excitement of riding down a trail on a mountain (slowly) has my interest. Based on my needs and wants, I feel like I may need two bikes!

Can you swing a farley 7?

Worst case the 5 and try to get a fork for it for summer and get some 3.8Ē tires for summer as well.

I have no issues running my fatbike in summer rigid but i would personally stud the stock gnarwhals and get some hodags for summer if i was getting a 5 or a 7.

I love the farley, had a 6 now have a 9.6. 27.5x4.5Ē is legit. Rolls fast and floats well. Some times i dont even pull my front tire up over lower downed trees and bulldoze it and it rolls over no problem.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Isnít Fatback Alaskan ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Isnít Fatback Alaskan ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Maybe. I donít know. Never seen them in any of the local stores.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Can you swing a farley 7?

Worst case the 5 and try to get a fork for it for summer and get some 3.8Ē tires for summer as well.

I have no issues running my fatbike in summer rigid but i would personally stud the stock gnarwhals and get some hodags for summer if i was getting a 5 or a 7.

I love the farley, had a 6 now have a 9.6. 27.5x4.5Ē is legit. Rolls fast and floats well. Some times i dont even pull my front tire up over lower downed trees and bulldoze it and it rolls over no problem.

I probably could swing the difference for the 7. My problem is that I canít find any locally. While I love Alaska, the selection and availability of things are very limited.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I bought a Farley 5 this year. I have been thoroughly enjoying it and it has opened up a whole new world of winter biking for me. Although I will likely go back to my main bike (drop bar steel bike) when spring gets here, I plan to be on the lookout for some 27.5x3.8 tires so I can ride it in the summer. It is much better on trails than my drop bar steel bike, but I have studded the Gnarwhals that came with it and I'd rather keep those for winter only.

I compared many bikes here in Ontario, and it came down to the combination of the tires and the carbon fork that the Farley 5 is specc'd with beat pretty much everything else in the same price range. Some had a higher spec on drivetrain, but Deore is not a bad DT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oylerz View Post
    I bought a Farley 5 this year. I have been thoroughly enjoying it and it has opened up a whole new world of winter biking for me. Although I will likely go back to my main bike (drop bar steel bike) when spring gets here, I plan to be on the lookout for some 27.5x3.8 tires so I can ride it in the summer. It is much better on trails than my drop bar steel bike, but I have studded the Gnarwhals that came with it and I'd rather keep those for winter only.

I compared many bikes here in Ontario, and it came down to the combination of the tires and the carbon fork that the Farley 5 is specc'd with beat pretty much everything else in the same price range. Some had a higher spec on drivetrain, but Deore is not a bad DT.
    Drive is so much easier to upgrade and cheaper than a fork, tubeless wheel, stud able tires. Its a real bargain.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....