Fat CAAD 2.0- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fat CAAD 2.0

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Fat CAAD 2.0

A recent trip to the mountains left me with a mild case of fat bike fever and then I tried a Norco out over the weekend and its starting to get worse. The trouble is I've always liked Cannondale's and I really like the look of the Fat CAAD 2.0 but I can't find a single review.

Now, being up here in soon to be snowy Canada I'm used to getting stuff way later than anyone south of the border so this no review, minimal info deal has me hunting for more news...

To get by I thought I'd start with the questions and my biggy is how hard/ costly is it to switch the 2 x10 to a 1x set up? The Norco I tried had 1x and I liked it a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Going 1x is as easy as taking of the 2x parts and putting on a 1x chainring.

Looks like a killer bike... Delivery seems to be a few weeks out in the great white north, not sure on us availability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You will probably find the best info in the thread for the bikes. Someone started one a couple weeks ago.

mtbr member
    They do seem to be overpriced and even more so in Canada, add a 1X swap to that, Yikes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks all. I'll check out the bikes threads . And ya I'm almost accustomed to the Canadian price gouge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's not price gauging, it's just the added cost of living in a society willing to do the right thing(s).

Maybe it's not perfect, but your southern neighbors could learn a few things...

Quote Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
    Thanks all. I'll check out the bikes threads . And ya I'm almost accustomed to the Canadian price gouge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    They are not due out until late Nov/early December. If you go 1x I'd seriously look into the Spider ring they make. I would get one if it didn't have a 120 bottom bracket. Those are too wide for my hips. Cdale did a TON of R & D on fat bikes & opted to be late to the party rather than throw out a bike that would have issues. I bet if you preordered one (yes, you loose the test ride factor) a shop might cut you a break on cost. The Surly Wednesday is a well priced option.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by truckasaurus View Post
    A recent trip to the mountains left me with a mild case of fat bike fever and then I tried a Norco out over the weekend and its starting to get worse. The trouble is I've always liked Cannondale's and I really like the look of the Fat CAAD 2.0 but I can't find a single review.

Now, being up here in soon to be snowy Canada I'm used to getting stuff way later than anyone south of the border so this no review, minimal info deal has me hunting for more news...

To get by I thought I'd start with the questions and my biggy is how hard/ costly is it to switch the 2 x10 to a 1x set up? The Norco I tried had 1x and I liked it a lot.
    Base Norco Sasquatch has way better specs and is $200 less than the base Cannondale.
    Even the base Rocky Mountain Blizzard is better value than the Cannondale.

I've done spreadsheets to assist in my decision making...the value for the cannondale isn't there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The Cannondale is overpriced - there are better bikes for less money.
    Plus the long'ish chain stay while claiming to be short gets on my nerves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The Cannondale only makes sense if you're buying for the Olaf Lefty, or inexplicable love for Cannondale's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    The Cannondale is overpriced - there are better bikes for less money.
    Plus the long'ish chain stay while claiming to be short gets on my nerves.
    Seems massively over priced to me as well. Watch them sell all they can produce anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    The Cannondale only makes sense if you're buying for the Olaf Lefty, or inexplicable love for Cannondale's.
    That I think makes the most sense.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Seems massively over priced to me as well. Watch them sell all they can produce anyway.

Actually, if you wait for a year these same Cannondale bikes are put on sale. I bought my 2014 Carbon Scalpel 2 for about 40% off retail price from a Cannondale Corporate store. Moreover, with the Cannondale card, they gave me 2 years no interest payment plan.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just buy a Rocky, Norco or a Kona if you don't need a Bluto. They're all pretty great value, and they're all mostly Canadian. Bikes built and tested in the Canadian Rockies don't usually disappoint.
    Last edited by l3eaudacious; 10-21-2015 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    As a guy who has wedged a bunch of Cannondale parts on my 29er fully (a lefty and hollowgram crank) I'd say that for component levels Cannondales tend to be lower spec at a given price point, especially if you're not getting any of the Cannondale proprietary goodies like a lefty and/or hollowgram. They've got to get back the R&D somewhere.

I got to hand it to Cdale though, the bikes are pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    At least they abandoned the idiotic fat tube philosophy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    All good points, I'm continuing the search and adding a Felt and a Specialized.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by l3eaudacious View Post
    Just buy a Rocky, Norco or a Kona if you don't need a Bluto. They're all pretty great value, and they're all mostly Canadian. Bikes built and tested in the Canadian Rockies don't usually disappoint.
    Except none are built in the rockies, let alone anywhere else in Canada. All are built in Asia (in both chinas).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Distributor
    Not really, that tube on the fat CAAD 1 is a large as an old Super V.
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was going to go a Cannondale Fatbike but the cost in AU is way overpriced. So I bought an ICT and fitted my lefty to it and clownshoe. poor mans cannondale

mtbr member
    As one of those people who has an inexplicable love of cannondale; I did purchase a fat caad 1. Prior to, I had ridden briefly a fat boy carbon and a 45 lb ridged surley.. All I can say is I friggin love the fat caad. I have absolutely 0 regrets. I pulled the JJ 4.8 and picked up some JJ 4.0s and stretched out the riding position a bit. tossed the riser and installed a setback post. Central ohio has seen no snow, so it has been basically a trail bike. My times are much faster than expected and it is a ball to ride. Way snappier, it flicks hops and moves much better that I had expected.

I am one of those people who has been riding 30+ years and all I can say is cannondale has always just felt right. Other bikes don't. Not that cannondale is the only brand making quality bikes. It must be something with the compliance AND geomitry.. to me they all have a certain feel that is somehow more natural in the way it moves. For those that don't get it, I am sorry. To me it is more than numbers on a page. I do think the traditional cdale cc mtbs are designed for the rockey rooty switchbacks in the east coast and mw. Not for the more wide open west, but what do I know, most of my experience is in ohio. If you love Cannondale, all I can say is they got this one right. Do not hesitate.

Oh, and for the crack-and-fail hatters, I have all my original bikes going back to a 1989 m700, this was my 6th. Barring one 2012 Evo that I dropped my chain a few times on the BB before I noticed the damage forming... was my mistake and Cannondale replaced the frame in no time. They have been nothing short of awesome. The key is to be cool with your lbs and they will be cool with you. But yeah, they are pricy.. and to me absolutely worth it.

fwiw I do think the Olaf is doing a great job reducing the bounce up front.. If you are thinking of using yours as a trail bike, you may want to budget a shock down the road. Good luck with your decision. Seems I am now a fat bike convert.. Hope you join the party.

Distributor
    Curious which FatBoy carbon you rode and what made you decide on the Cannondale over it?
    carbonLORD /// KILOMETER

mtbr member
    2016 Carbon Comp. For sure I paid more and got less. In the end I would say the Olaf was too much to resist. This is my second lefty. Yes, I could have added a lefty max to the spec (and probably voided the warranty) but I knew the damping would would be off. In my mind, for a fatbike it is all about damping. For sure the fatboy is a great bike, lower stand over, a very good value and carbon fatboys look sick! So yeah it was not at all an easy choice. Once I had a chance to ride the Fat Caad 1 (L and XL I am 6' 2" and picked up the L) it became easier.. I do prefer the looks of the Spec, with 4s and a great fork.. the spec would be nearly impossible to beat for the money. I will say to my feel the Fat Caad does have some serious compliance in the rear triangle.. at first it was a bit unsettling, after some time on the trails, I think it was intentional, and an interesting (and good) choice for a fatbike.

mtbr member
    [ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH][ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]

Some images of my landing last week at Alumn Creek P2. I tried to hop right after the turn and clipped the small leaning tree.. didn't think you could endo a fat bike.. uh yeah, it can be done..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat CAAD 2.0-image.jpg  

Fat CAAD 2.0-image.jpg  

Massage Blocks :: The Ultimate Trigger Point System

Nor­wegr
    Even crashed that's a great looking bike.

mtbr member
    "Originally posted by carbonLORD
    (Quote)
    "fwiw I do think the Olaf is doing a great job reducing the bounce up front.. If you are thinking of using yours as a trail bike, you may want to budget a shock down the road. Good luck with your decision. Seems I am now a fat bike convert.. Hope you join the party."[/QUOTE]

Why should you change the Olaf for a fork for trail riding?
    Last edited by Windigo; 12-29-2015 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I saw the 2.0 at the lbs yesterday. Nice looking bike. I was thinking it was be really awesome with an orange lauf fork

mtbr member
    I have ridden other ridged fatbikes. At speed, in ohio, even at low pressure, over the constant roots and rocks it is hard to keep the front end planted. Other places I have ridden CC (Jackson, WY, and Summit County CO) are far less sketchy. For sure if your plans are to ride primarily in snow or sand, I see 0 use for a fork - just added weight for no benifit. I have not used a bluto, but the reviews I have read indicate it also does a great job reducing the tendency of fatbike front tire bouncing (damping).
    Massage Blocks :: The Ultimate Trigger Point System

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just bought one last week

A caad fat 1

I've had a pugs, mk 1 9zero7, carver Ti Obeast, and a moonlander,

I've wanted a fat bike with front suspension, but blot can get tight with 4.8's, whereas the lefty will clear them and more

I bought the small, it weighs 32lb complete, Ive got some special wheels on the way

I wanted a bike with front sus, running unto 4.8's and 11 speed, and that narrows the choice down a bit

I think they are good value, Im in the UK, but bought it from Germany