Fat Biking and health - Page 72- Mtbr.com
Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172
Results 7,101 to 7,157 of 7157
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Nice artistic shots by the G-Man and some nice trail & stream shots by Terry. Keep 'em coming.

OldBear awol again. And no pics.

TexMex along the shores of Lake Erie and I would like to see those steps getting slammed when one of those "Gales of November come early" storms roll in.

Did a 21 miler southbound to Burlington City and back. Winds continue but nowhere near as powerful as Wednesday's ride. Today is cold, damp with rain in the forecast and the uneven nutty weather of Spring 2019 marches on.

Wade: I'm due myself this week to do my semi-annual visit to the family doctor out at the air force base clinic; where he gets the ball rolling for a renewal of my meds, some blood work for lipids/cholesterol, all done in anticipation of the other semi annual visit to the cardiologist. This time, a year revisit of the gastroenterologist is in order to check up on anything new in regards to the lower abdominal pains I was experiencing this time last year. Lucky to report there have been no pains, but I'll let the pros look everything over.

I am so, so sorry to hear of this weight loss for a guy already considered a bean pole. Your noting of being repulsed by food had me thinking of my own mom in the early 80's, who got sick just looking at food after coming down with Hepatitis; thanks to a well known at the time market drug that made many innocent folks sick with Hep...in the process, killing some of them. But you make no mention of jaundice and I'm most sure you and your doc would immediately be looking at the liver and possibility of Hep a, b or c. Until you truly get answers, anything at this point is speculation and the cause for additonal deep worry and depression. But that weight loss is very real and has to be addressed asap.

You have always been a good friend to me and the rest of this revolving and evolving door of fine fat biking & health nuts. You have the power of prayer, best wishes and more coming from each and every one of us in seeing you through to good health once again. I believe that time will come; once the battle plans are drawn up to beat the thing that ails you. Know that we'll be there in spirit alongside you, kicking ass along the way. May each day starting today, be better then the last, buddy.

Don't make me come out there and force you to ride my ebike....cause I will!

Your pal,
    Mike

All fat, all the time.
    Things aren't quite melted on the Idaho side yet, but the Spokane side is getting there. Couple pics of recent rides.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rippin da fAt
    SHARKKKKK!! There's dirt in those pixels! Damn, it sure is nice to have some close to home to break in the MiddleChild.
    Thanks for sharing the pix. Hope ya had a grand winter and are ready to clean mud outta everywhere.

Mike, thankya for the kind words. Always appreciated. I think Sunspot has the corner of the market at the moment. I've had many days of getting in the groove with the little fellow now. With dirt beginning to come available in the lower elevations, even more so...
    My suspicion is due to the kidneys being extremely oversized and cramping the guts thus leaving no room to fill with a load of fuel, leaded premium bicycle fuel, that is! :P The docs are sorting things at this point and a followup with the nephrology clinic is coming up soon too.

While the issue has been semi-debilitating, I still ride as much as possible. Distances are less at the moment but a major effort goes into each outing as I like to treat bikes as though they are equipped with a Quadrajet and dual exhaust!
    Bring that E-Ripper and les go! We'll head for the desert and I'll show ya some countryside you'll be fumbling for a camera over! Besides, I gotta try that digital fatty on and see if it fits...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Wade: Fight, fight, fight!

It took a ridiculous amount of time 25 years ago for the doctors to find what was obvious to me: that I had renal strictures and my kidneys were becoming balloons under pressure. I fired a lot of doctors who proved inept along the way! Nearly killed me.

Nice 24 miler today. Down to breakfast, then through the backstreets up to Cupertino for lunch with an old friend. Then home again ... not even breathing hard! Average speed 12 mph.

mtbr member
    Mike, that’s a great song about a tragic event. A friend of my father was scheduled to be aboard that ship and traded schedules. He said it was a difficult thing to come to grips with. I lost touch with him over the years. The westernmost portion of Lake Erie gets churned by an easterly wind. It was a calm day, I’ve seen much worse. Superior is the most dangerous of the Great Lakes for boaters and ships. When the weather goes bad that lake turns scary fast. It is also always cold.

Today was a trip to Southern Ohio. Great Seal State Park trails. My brother in law joined me and we had a great time. 11 miles with about 1500 feet of climbing. No flat sections on this ride. I rode this trail a year ago and was unable to reach the top of “Bunker Hill”, I made it this time. Somebody hauled a table and chairs
    Fat Biking and health-9961bf4a-2c78-4761-b245-ec6b8b75654a.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Thankya, G.

The fight goes on...
    20 years since initial diagnosis. The first test in the lineup was an ultrasound that made the diagnosis quick and easy. With polycystic kidney disease, the kidneys will be vastly enlarged as time passes and more cysts form. This is causing discomfort as well as cramping the space that was once reserved for a digestive tract to reside. Enough of that bullshit, bikes, BIKES, I say!!

So, tonite I took a few minutes to swap the G-Ones onto Sunspot's wheels. Lookin forward to going out for a street session about town. Should be a blast to ride the gravel tires cause they are so light and fast. Can't wait!!

Tex, as always, thanks for the pix and stuff. I'm doing the +singlespeed lately and lovin it. There is very little in terms of flat ground for miles so the punchy climbs are a plenty. Those I do enjoy over the daunting, long 2-3k' climbs.

Chief, OZ... You move!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde ride...

Hi everyone greetings from a still warmish OZ.

Mike that looks like your riding weather has returned and with your bike set up evolving seems like we will all gets some long range reports this summer.

G the new camera seems to be in great shape, even the quick scans look great, love the last two images, bike glamour shot looks good too

Terry thats a nice looking ride, great for summer trails and exploring.

Banshee, sorry to hear about your health problems, hopefully you find the right Doc's to take care of you. I am sure the positive attitude you show here will see you right, a good dose of Sunspot everyday will get you started.

Shark nice looking riding area you have there, bike too. Hope to see some more photos over summer.

Tex through the trees that looks like one steep hill, good to hear of your progress on the bike. You, G and Banshee seem to be getting plenty of early season miles in.

As for me I had my first long ride in quite awhile this morning. Daylight saving ended overnight so I was out early and enjoying the cool early peacefulness.

The birds along the track were in full voice and like was fine until some @ss on a road bike passed me with a few inches to spare and no warning. A have ranted before about this type of riding and this time unfortunately the Mr Hyde in me came out. I was not pretty and the other riders I own the road attitude did not help. Needless to say he was left with exactly what I though of this type of riding and the danger it poses to others.

I soon was into the town centre and enjoying the morning again, I had to take a different route through town as a running race was on and some roads closed. I stopped on Carrington Bridge looking down Throsby Creek into Newcastle Harbour.

Fat Biking and health-img_0165.jpg

As I said a beautiful day, as I headed home again on the Fernleigh Track the Dr Jekyll had a chance to redeem me. A lady on a TT bike was walking along with a flat front tyre so I stopped to see if I could help. She had left all her equipment on her other bike so I parked my bike and got to work. I carry two tubes in different sizes with me when I ride unfortunately she was running 23 mm tyres and my small tube was 28/32. It could work but not ideal, so I thought of patching the tyre instead. Took the tube out to find a pinch flat with two holes, not ideal. She had called some friends of hers who were out riding and they showed up not long after and had tube closer to size. We soon had her on her way and she is in training for a few big Triathlon races coming up, one of them in Austria.

I ended up riding 50 km at a 23 km ave speed and my lack of riding made it self felt in the last few kms

Hope your Sunday is enjoyable I am about to switch on the TV to watch coverage of the Tour of Flanders race. It will be a late night but Flanders and the Paris Roubaix next week are the highlight of the race season for me.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    If anyone's interested, here's the route for yesterday's 24 mile ride around a bit of Silicon Valley. I went around it in a clockwise direction.

Fat Biking and health-20190406-24_mile_ride.jpg

A fine ride! Now to figure where to go today ... it's beautiful and sunny outside!

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Nah Wade, I'm still here and riding. I got lots of yard and garden work done this weekend. Heading to Little Italy in the Bronx tomorrow for a semi annual bus trip. Fresh made pasta, some baked goods, some really good cheese and Rao's roasted peppers and potabella mushrooms. Plus a nice lunch at Enzo's.
    Riding had gone well, weather has finally broke. We're been in the high 60's the last few days. I'm looking to start increasing the mileage over the weekends. I'll get some pic's when I can.

Wade hang in there, continue to fight the fight.

Old Bear's son had some issues and there's a great pic of him crashed after a shift in the ER with his son.
    Fat Biking and health-56174969_390174105169212_8746151000756191232_o.jpg

TexMex: It's been a long time since I've read Mighty Fitz, but I do seem to recall in it, an interview of a crew member who switched positions with another man, missing the trip. I want to believe he had misgivings of going for it was so late in the season. Nice ride; that is a heck of an elevation climb in such a short distance.

Surly: Weather has been very spotty. Afraid we are again like last year, go from winter to summer with little spring. We'll see about April. I had a spandex wearin' roadie pass me by in a similar fashion 2 years ago while I was daydreaming about watt hours on a nearby road. Not one peep out of him. The thing that gets our anger us is that we could have just as well crashed had you or I swerved for a peice of road debris or a little crack in the road or anything else. It brought out the Mr Hyde in me as well, and I caught up to him & asked the next time he passes someone, to let the person know before hand. But the real classic was coming off the Crosswick Creek pedestrian walkway onto the trail, where at that very spot, some dude on a department store mountain bike decides he's gotta pass me doing about 12 mph without saying a word, all within the width of 48 inches, which is how wide that wooden planked walkway is. Stay safe and stay alert.

Ride Reports: Saturday saw a road ride to Burlington and back, 21 miles total in moderate temps but that ever present wind to deal with.

Sunday's Ride Report was a 31.5 miler to Delran NJ and the Riverside Marina. The floating docks are still not in place. Most of the sailboats and power boats remain on their blocks and remain shrink wrapped. A lot of folks were doing underwater body maintenance; scrapping, sanding or painting on a new coat of anti-foulant in preps before their boat goes into the water for the 2019 boating season.

I stopped off a Johnny G's steak and hoagie shop on the River Road, where I ordered up a large Cheesesteak with fried onions and two drinks to go. Put the food in my Ortlieb commuter bag and pedaled to Amico Island, a Burlington County administered park on the Delaware River, right adjacent to Riverside Marina. Sought out a picnic table and preceeded to eat the whole thing. Delicious! But I have to say, maybe I should have downsized, as I felt like a blood engorged wood tick riding back. Years ago, I'd have no issue with such a meal.

Monday Ride Report: Homebase to Lock 1, up to Trenton NJ and back to Homebase. 21 miles.

First measurable humid day of 2019, sub tropical in feel as rain is forecast for the evening. Wind from the south and west.

Not much to report here except I did some preemptive canal towpath maintenance up at Duck Island in the form of de-rooting out some sticker bushes that are just starting to take hold in the spring sun and warmth. This was in the one particular area last summer that I had cut back the tall weed growth encroaching right over the canal towpath. Hidden in those tall weeds were the sticker bushes, which would catch onto you as you road by.

I used my small Japanese weeding tool, a sharp, half moon shaped blade with a wooden handle. The sharp, pointed tip was able to get down into the damp soil at the roots of these devils. I did a couple dozen of these things. Still some more to do; which I'll get to in another ride or two.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Last week was a nice week for riding. Between on and off road riding, I managed to get in 5 rides in 7 days.

I took the Mayor back out. Starting to really get it dialed in. I really like this bike!

Fat Biking and health-13ad348c-899f-4dd0-af4c-78aaeb6e4f3f.jpg

mtbr member
    Holy crap Mike a cheese steak and then ride home. I'm surprised you didn't take a nap on the picnic bench after that, Nice job. LOL
    Bus trip to Little Italy in the Bronx Monday, no ride but lots of walking.
    I got out this evening, 10 miles through some lake trails & power lines not fast but it kept me out of the breeze and felt good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Been a heckuva busy couple of days, but I've gotten rides of 13 to 19 miles in every day. No ride tomorrow ... long day of driving to visit my buddy down in San Luis Obispo. Today was the anniversary of buying FCC: My tally for one year of riding FCC is just about 2,900 miles total, 665 of that since January 1, 2019.

onwards!
    G

Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Holy crap Mike a cheese steak and then ride home. I'm surprised you didn't take a nap on the picnic bench after that, Nice job. LOL
    Bus trip to Little Italy in the Bronx Monday, no ride but lots of walking.
    I got out this evening, 10 miles through some lake trails & power lines not fast but it kept me out of the breeze and felt good.

Chief: I seriously contemplated nap time and there was a nice bench overlooking the pond just a hundred feet from me that would have worked just fine! But 18 miles still has to get done, no matter how much I wanted that nap!

And a special shout of thanks to the Burlington Twp parks folks for having their porta-potty serviced with good toilet paper, hand cleaner and a pumped out holding tank! LOL

No ride today as it was my semi annual visit to my family doc. From there, we jump to my semi annual cardiologist visit, etc. Yesterday I finished splitting the wood I had laying around, getting it ready for next year's winter heating season. Time to clean up the mess, stack the wood, cover it and search out that wood I spotted on the D&R Canal towpath.

Chief: PM if interested in a light bike run. Could meet up in Bordentown for a run up to Trenton and I can meet you at Bristol for a Lock 1 run to the end of your canal there. No rush, your call when you want to do it.

G: Nice, consistent riding there. Nice mileage total on the carbon Fatboy. Lot of good mileage rides in the winter months. I'll tell you, this winter was the first in I can't remember how long I did not get bronchitis (my annual nemesis that puts me down a good month and a half). No sickness whatsoever. No flu shot for that matter. But I have put on some good poundage around the gut going overboard on the cheesesteak sandwiches and pizza. And it's gonna be a long haul in trying to get it off....

mtbr member
    I got out this evening 11 miles in 63:24 and a 10.3 avg speed. I was a nice loop around town and into the trails out by the lake.
    Under the PA Turnpike bridge to NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-8ie%25vgmaq7ym75sxs89kka.jpg

the canal path towards Bristol, PA
    Fat Biking and health-img_0369a.jpg

The lake trails and a choice to make
    Fat Biking and health-img_0371a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_0372a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_0373a.jpg

Mike, sounds good. We will get this done more than once this year.
    I have a CPR meeting tomorrow evening with the local education committee. Our CPR Initiative has set a goal to have the local high school class of 2020 all trained in CPR. So I'm making a presentation. Friday we're going to a wine tasting that benefits the Philadelphia Big Brothers & Sisters Organization. Maybe next Friday afternoon? I'll let you know and we'll talk.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Took the Mayor out to a different trails area than I usually ride. The trails were mostly just flat pedaling. Nothing really technical. Still made for a nice ride along the river. There was a skills park with rock garden, bridges, etc.
    Fat Biking and health-d30f2357-4f04-4640-81ad-2ebe4a5eb926.jpg

Fat Biking and health-801a4dad-4476-4dcc-9528-9bc198465012.jpg

Fat Biking and health-7f597a09-1195-4aa9-b3a0-440683303bad.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: Nice, consistent riding there. Nice mileage total on the carbon Fatboy. Lot of good mileage rides in the winter months. I'll tell you, this winter was the first in I can't remember how long I did not get bronchitis (my annual nemesis that puts me down a good month and a half). No sickness whatsoever. No flu shot for that matter. But I have put on some good poundage around the gut going overboard on the cheesesteak sandwiches and pizza. And it's gonna be a long haul in trying to get it off....
    Thanks! I had a good winter too: only one, rather mild head cold.

I've been working hard on getting fit, both before the cruise and much more intensely afterwards. I've dropped another 12 lbs on the scale, and according the fancy diagnostic machine over at the gym I've picked up another 6 lbs of muscle and decreased by body fat percentage by another couple of points. Woo Hoo!

The real kicker is that the other day I was late to catch the bus back to my mechanic (on the way to picking up my car after a small repair was finished) and realized I would miss the bus if I didn't hustle somehow. I was able to actually jog four blocks to the bus stop, something I have not been able to do in at least 10 or 20 years. Nothing hurt, nothing felt bad afterwards either! This is literally astonishing. Three years ago I could barely walk 100 yds without being out of breath ...!

Gets me all choked up. Really. I hated being a cripple so much, can't express it.

---
    No ride yesterday because of my visit to SLO. That in itself was a total joy. Three hours down, several hours with my friend Don, three hours back. He was in good shape: We were able to go out to Morro Bay for lunch, he could walk a fair distance without looking like he was about to fall, in great humor. The guy is just amazing, a true light to see by. We had a great conversation, I shot another roll of film with the Fuji GS ... Processing it a little later today.

AND for the first time in years, I was able to drive all the way there then all the way back without needing to rest. For years I've done that length drive in at least two segments because I just got too tired. I have all the energy and to spare now, no need to stop. This is the me I remember, finally! ...

Ride today.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Pretty bike, Terri!

G

Chief: PM me next Thursday for what you want to do and I'll be there. Name the place and time. Nice pics there.

G: Nice report and way to go. Really good to know we all support each other's efforts to gain back some measure of our health. The advances you have done since coming here really are inspiring for others in a similar health situation to follow. And, you have been a consistent contributor around here when others have come and gone. I'm appreciative of that. Always enjoy reading what is on your mind as well as taking in your photo skills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Today's ride was around the now standard but larger loop that took me through Japan Town and into downtown, where I stopped for lunch at Caffe Frascati. I ordered a mortadella and goat cheese panini ... extraordinary flavor combination ... and was just finishing up when four young folks from nearby San Jose State College came in for coffee and talk. The one of them opened his bag and pulled out a binder full of 35mm negatives in sleeves and proof sheets! I had to talk with them...

"Wow, real film photos!"
    "Yes, I just processed them last night. Have to look through them!"

They excitedly talked about what they'd been shooting, how they processed the film, etc. I could see that special magic at work when the passion melds with love of the equipment, love of the process, and everything is still so new and freshly learned.

"You know, guys, I was just in SLO to visit my old buddy whom I did a lot of photography with over the past thirty years. He's 94 now, no longer has the strength to do much, and has all this great old photo stuff that he's looking for a home for.

I brought back two sets of Ansel Adams' "The Camera, The Negative, The Print" books from him yesterday, promising that I'd find some people who would value them, learn from them, enjoy them as he and I have.

Are you interested? They're free..."

And their eyes lit up. I could see the hunger and the joy, to see books that they had likely only just heard of...

"Just give me your cell phone numbers. I'll text you and we'll arrange for when and where you can pick them up. The only price is that I will make a photo of you holding them to send to Don ... And I'll ask you to look at one of his hand-made photography books, so you will know just who it is you are getting this gift from. Don is the finest photographer I've ever known, and he knows there's not much time left. It would make him so happy to know that young people like you value the work of the master that he knew and learned from."

"Sure! We'll do that." And they gave me their cell numbers.

I rode home almost in tears at that moment, joy that I had completed my mission for Don, joy that young people still care about this stuff that I've lived my life learning, and the bittersweet joy of knowing that while Don ... and I behind him .. are still here, we are just soo soo darn old now that Time itself is the last yardstick to measure our lives upon.

I called Don as soon as I got home and told him about the guys who his books are going to. And I heard him chuckle and saw him smile in my mind. And maybe, just maybe, I heard him quietly sob the same sob I was feeling as he let go of another thing that, in the end, is only as important as the amount he and I value it. Better that it go to those that still care and can still grow by reading it.

---
    The ride ran 14 miles. It was a tough ride, there were powerful winds all through and I pedaled hard all the way. 70 minutes total, 900 calories consumed, at 11.9 mph. I went completely into the zone for probably the third time in my riding this past year ... Nothing but me and the bicycle, melded together, feeling muscle and sinew work, feeling these once useless legs work hard and feel good doing it. No thought, nothing intruded for a short time as I flew over the pavement working hard and listening to all the little sounds of pavement and bicycle, listened to my own breathing. And it was all good. Life: There is just the moment that we have and it is everything.

Onwards, always onwards.
    G

Friday Ride Report: Another 20 miler up to Lock 1 then to it's northern terminus to Duck Island and back. Windy, gusty, with storms in the air and area, just what you'd expect for April and it's Showers. Brought my little Japanese Weeder with me to knock down some early spring growth of these tall weeds that grow to 5 feet or so at the height of summer. Right now they are little sprouts and I took them out near the canal towpath gate nearest the Duck Island Power Plant. Then, with that little weeding task complete, I completed the ride to the northern terminus and turned around. And as I did, the rain started to fall. But it eased when I got about the halfway point on the canal and held off until I pulled into Homebase, where it let loose. On the way to homebase, heavy, heavy winds from the south, bringing the rain and humidity in it.

All fat, all the time.
    I had to get out to my favorite trail today...I knew it would be snowy, but wasn't sure how far up.
    So, why not go explore.
    Turned out to be awesome dirt for the first 1/2. Eventually did find the snow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice pics Shark. The last three days brought me together with two of my brother in laws. Thursday my brother in law that I have been staying with during my work transition joined me in a ride at Oak Openings Metropark. This trail is very flat with tight turns through the trees, it feels like the scene in the Return of the Jedi when they were racing on speeders. Today I took my other brother in law on the trails at Mohican. He joined me in signing up for the Mohican 100k, but he has not been making an effort to ride. This opened his eyes to the challenge ahead, while for me it was a pretty low key ride in the woods. The weather for both was perfect. Spring has arrived and it is awesome. Sun, blue skies, flowering trees, wildlife, you name it.

Rippin da fAt
    Terry, great pix! The Mayor is an awesome bike. What sets it apart is the good geometry that many fatbikes lack.

Shark, now ya got some snow to clean those muddy tires and make em look like new! Had to be good times getting out on the fat squish for some trail time.

Chief, looks like gravel grinder time! Would love to hit that with my Rocket Ron's. Great pix, Mr.

OZ, your move...

Rain, snow, sun... It just cannot make up its mind 'round here...
    Sunspot has been playing lately. Getting the feel of this new bike has been good stuff. Being a singlespeed has made for a more positive, solid feel for many things, especially playing on the trails. B+ is a good size of tire/wheel for much of the loco, er, local trails. With the extra traction of a 3.0, not to mention the ride comfort they afford. While I cannot say they bring more stability per se, the performance is amazing. I find em to be just as fast as 2.WTF tires but with slightly lower fuel economy. As I started out with a 28x18 drivetrain, today I changed up the 28t chainring with a 30. Yus, I'm feeling the improvement that much so it was time for a changeup. Next trail ride will be telling...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    G, thank you for sharing that with us. Choked me up a little too. I've trained a lot of firefighters in my career. I've passed along things that have kept my guys alive in some serious situations. I don't ride any longer stopped by the politics of the times. I am passing other things off to those that are still fighting the fight, things that helped me in my career. Lots of books to read on firefighting strategy and tactics that are still use today. The ones I trained personally know the meaning of this. When we see each other there are always hand shakes and hugs. It has become part of our tradition and legacy. Now that we are getting closer to whatever is next it is important to pass the knowledge and the things held dear to us along to the next wave.

Some great pictures and ride reports. Gonna be a good riding season.

I rode Friday, I did a loop that I've ridden a few times this year. It was warm and breezy. We were heading to a fund raiser for Philadelphia Big Brothers and Sisters later in the day. I rode 12+ miles in 68 minutes and an average speed of 10.8. The first 5 I was averaging 12 mph and then I turned back into the breeze to head home. LOL no wonder it felt so good going out. I finished my ride passing through the local park along the river near our business district. I received a few FB messages and texts the next day. A local news agency photographer was in the park and snapped this picture and a lot of friends and relatives saw it.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5168.jpg

I gotta start dropping some more weight. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Bags and carry stuff ...

Since I often want/need to carry stuff (spare clothes, camera, etc) when I'm on a ride with either my bicycle or motorcycle, and I really dislike having too much baggage bolted on, I've used one of a few different backpack and sling bags on my rides. All have had various plusses and minuses.

About a year ago, I ran into a discussion on the camera forum about bags (a popular topic!) and heard of the Wotancraft Easy Rider and Mini Rider sling bags. I excitedly plunked down the rather excessive amount of money for them, one of each, for use on bicycle and motorcycle.

When they arrived I had some issues with them–mostly having to do with the fact that I'm a largish guy and getting the harness set up for my needs from wearing bicycle weight gear (thin, light) to motorcycle gear (thick, bulky, heavy) put me at the limits of what the standard straps could manage in their adjustment range. And the correct strap lengths for the two bags differ so that they fit me comfortably and well since the bags themselves are so different in size. Otherwise, the bags were superbly finished and beautiful quality construction, not overly heavy (I bought the leather models), and superbly useable.

https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product...-black-leather
    https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product...r-green-canvas

A quick message to Wotancraft and they made up new main and securing straps to my specification lengths for each of the bags. The new straps arrived in short order. I fitted them and tested the bags.

Wow! Perfect fit, superbly comfortable, and they do not move around at all when riding on either bicycle or motorcycle. The Mini Rider is my usual carry ... It can easily handle all the junk I usually carry (but not my iPad Pro 11") and tucks very nicely onto my back without a thought. The Easy Rider is much larger, handles far more than I usually want to carry anyway, and could carry camera plus enough extra clothes for a long trip on the motorcycle easily. Both bags are easy to put on and take off, and easy to get in and out of for a quick photograph (just undo the securing strap with its clip and pull them around to your chest, etc).

Very expensive but worth it for me. They'll last as long as I do, I wager, so it's "spend once, use forever" deal.

---
    Yesterday was my usual Saturday Morning Breakfast ride to meet the boyz at Guadalupe River Park and have breakfast. I was a little delayed leaving so took the quickest way there rather than my usual ramble around the loop. Made it in 18 minutes! It was cool when I left so I wore my long cycle pants, but i carried my shorts.

A quick photo I made at the cafe with my Leica M-D and ancient Summilux 35mm lens:

There is something so special and beautiful about the rendering this lens makes! I did no processing to this photo other than cropping it to my intended square and putting the border on it. It was perfect just as the raw processor made it to the default settings...!

After breakfast, temps outside were in the 68°F zone, and above, so I was glad to have shorts with me. I changed at the cafe and set off.

No wind for once in a long while, and such beautiful weather inspired me to do a double loop: down the GRP trail to downtown San Jose, up through Japan Town, back down through GRP Trail to downtown again, then west up Park Ave and back to Santa Clara. The whole ride clocked 19.5 miles at 11.8 mph average speed, consumed about 1250 calories, and was sheer pleasure! If I hadn't had other things to do in the afternoon, I might have ridden up to Cupertino for lunch and taken the long way back through Mountain View and the Bay Trail —*That's how nice the weather was!

A glorious day, great ride, and FCC continues to make me smile every time I ride it. Talk about buy once, use forever...

Onwards, ever onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Just a heads up ...... Old Bear had a COPD incident this morning.

"I'm in the ER. I had my COPD go ballistic at 2:30am. I'm on my way to observation until this afternoon"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    All best thoughts and wishes to Oldbear!

---
    The Sunday ride was a short thing. Many other things going on all day, and MotoGP race watching with friends in the evening so I didn't want to stay out too long. A quick blast down my usual loop to the cafe, a cuppa and a bit of a snack, a quick blast back. About 9 miles, fast.

However, I stopped on the way when I saw this nice little poppy scene ...

Fat Biking and health-california_poppies.jpg

Just a simple iPhone 8 Plus capture but it does the business well.

'Nother ride today ...

onwards!
    G

It's been a tough couple years on the health front for Old Bear Fred and I'm sorry to hear of this latest setback and all I can do here is send my hopes, best wishes and prayers for a positive recovery. He seems to drift in and out of this thread anymore, with more drifting towards the "out", the one he created and has inspired other "sickos" to post up in. My hope is upon his ER release, that he get back into the swing of things here, whether he is able to ride regularly or not.

2 weekend 20 milers to Lock 1 and back. Both days were gray with high humidity. Yesterday's ride saw rain and mist at the northern reaches of the run, luckily any rain held off when I completed the ride. The devastating weather in Texas finally made it's way to the northeast overnight, 2 am as tornado warnings were posted for pretty much the entire of NJ, Delaware and Pennsylvania.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, hope Old Bear is on the mend and gets back on the bike soon.

I forgot to post that we headed down to Canberra for a few days to visits friends and see the exhibition at the National Gallery of Australia, we had planned this trip over the summer holidays but as you remember inland Australia was cooking then, not so now.

And whilst I was away you all seem to be punching out the miles, and Chief has become a home town celebrity

Shark they are some great looking trails, right up to the bit where the snow appears

Mike your fitness must be coming back with all the rides you are getting in, the next photo report cannot be far away.

G great to see you are helping Don find like minded souls to pass his legacy onto, I am sure he will find that comforting.

Anyway a ride report coming up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A cool mornings ride...

Hi everyone with our trip down to Canberra the Brompton had a chance to go for a ride again Its the reason I brought it to travel with and sneak in a ride or two where I use to miss out.

Canberra at this time of year is beautiful, and the riding is great too. The mornings where very crisp with temps in single figures Celsius. And it sure felt that on my second days ride around the western part of Lake Burly Griffin.

I was out just before the sunrise and was very happy to have it appear over the mountains and spread a little warmth.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00196.jpg

Theses Ghost Gums glowed in the morning light,

Fat Biking and health-dsc00193.jpg

one of my favourite trees, and just out of sight behind them a mob of Kangaroos were waiting for the sun to warm them.

The sun was setting fire to the waters of the lake, not a sight I get to see too often at home.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00200.jpg

not too many Hot air balloons at home either.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00205.jpg

Soon I had crossed the Dam wall the creates Lake Burly Griffen and was heading back into town, and the morning was still putting on a show.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00213.jpg

The trails around the lake are all separate from the roads and make for a great ride, even if some of the local cycle commuters are in a bit of a hurry to get to work. Still with trails like these riding instead of driving with be the best choice.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00216.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc00217.jpg

As the trail enters back into town it travels through the suburb of Yarralumla home to nearly 80 embassies and high commissions. The Chinese embassy is closest to the lake and they have built a wonderful imperial Chinese garden in the style of the Qing Dynasty.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00218.jpg

A great place to stop and enjoy the beautiful morning. After this you are not far from the bridge across the Lake to take you back into the CBD or if you are up to it the Eastern loop is still there to enjoy.

No wonder the locals love this ride, its a great way to start your day.

OZ.

mtbr member
    I will add my name to the list of well-wishers to old bear. This is a good thread.

Oz, those pictures look great. You have a really beautiful area to ride in when the oven is turned off.

As for me, the lower Midwest is in full defrost mode. Beautiful blue sky days and some gray cold rainy days, and some days have both. Yesterday was one of those schizophrenic days. I rode with my daughter at Lake Erie Metropark with is on the West side of Lake Erie in Brownstown MI. The picture of her is the weather at the beginning of the ride. The picture with just the handlebars is the weather

Fat Biking and health-85e796bf-c1c9-41e5-a575-b660116568ba.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-8ff63234-c918-4034-a65d-4b20b1e0f6ff.jpg
    I have moved out of my Brother in Law’s and moved to Allen Park, MI with my daughter. Weekends are spent in Columbus working on getting the house ready to sell… Riding time is at a minimum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-3d77a2b8-9f75-467a-9ec6-657e90d5abe3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Lovely photos, OZ!

I hope Oldbear is doing better now. Nice photos from iliketexmex too.

---
    rides s ... Not much to say, really. Since Sunday I've been out every day, mostly doing variations on my usual loop through San Jose, some shorter and others longer.

Monday: 11.89 mi, 11.8 mph
    Tuesday: 17.44 mi, 12.1 mph
    Wednesday: 13.68 mi, 11.9 mph

The weather here has been warming up all week. Today it's supposed to hit as high as 85°F. I'm using my light jersey and shorts now.

I did my weight check this morning. My weight is actually up a pound or two from last week, likely the result of some muscle mass gains given that I've ridden well over 100 miles this past week in addition to the strenuous workout every morning. My clothes are fitting differently again, too.

Life is good!

onwards, G

Rippin da fAt
    The sunspot strikes again!

Fat Biking and health-img_1224.jpg
    The beginning of a really fun spin.
    Fat Biking and health-img_1228.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_1230.jpg
    Sunspot lurking...

Fat Biking and health-img_1232.jpg
    This stretch of trail was an ascent from the valley floor to the upper plateau that is littered with singletrack heaven and a lovely descent going home following the rail trail system attack! A delightful reward at the close of a lovely day of playing with my Sunspot in the dirt.

Singletrack has never been so freakin good!! Singlespeed, singletrack and a sweet geometry come together for a delightful afternoon of pedaling. While this ride was not measured in terms of miles, the physical exertion was far and above the call of a good workout. Tires are Rocket Ron Liteskin 3.0's with 9 psi front 11 rear for the sticky Velcro aspect of +bike tires.

A changeup in the gears from 28-18 to 30 -18 this week proved to be a good choice at this point. Will be playing with further gear changes coming in the next week. As Hump would say, "Singlespeed makes ya strong fast". Well, it is very true, so Sunspot will be experimented with quite extensively in the coming weeks.

Fred, get feeling better and let's pray for a stretch of good health...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    A lovely day yesterday, with temperatures up into the middle 80°F range during the bulk of the afternoon. A couple of errands in the car with the top down bracketed my ride ... Ah Spring!

---
    The middle part of the day I spent on a 21 mile bicycle ride around the area, from Santa Clara to San Jose downtown. Went up the San Tomas Trail, stopped at the gym to say hello to the guys there. Stopped for lunch at my favorite little Mexican restaurant just past Levis Stadium between the San Tomas Trail and the Guadalupe River Trail. Then down the latter to San Jose, enjoying the beautiful, lush, greenness of Spring time along the river.

Guadalupe River Trail in Spring 2019
    About 1-2 miles from San Jose Airport on the way to downtown.

In downtown San Jose, I stopped once more for water and a cuppa, and sped home to get ready for another appointment elsewhere.

Total 19.4 miles, 1:40 minutes riding time, 11.3 mph average. Such a beautiful day!

onwards!
    G

Spectacular pics from the gang all over the world; appreciative always of your time in sharing them. Keep 'em coming!

Last two days had two 20 milers. Yesterday was my run to Lock 1 and back and this morning's run was to Burlington City, NJ and back, an all asphalt run. Got to observe the local Conrail engine operating with a cut of cars in what appears to be training for new conductors-to-be. Stiff wind from the south was again eating up energy, mine and the battery in going down south to BC. Coming back was like operating in a vacuum with the wind to my back; just cruising along in large portions of the run at 18-19 mph in the High power setting.

For the past week or so, I've sworn off the pizza and cheesesteaks; while also putting in a few days straight of heavy lifting and bending, aka Operation Firewood Pile, in getting what is on hand stacked and tarped, in preparation for the cleanup of old bark and dirt from the old wood pile sitting for 2 years plus.... Next up in Operation FP will be to get some of that downed wood on the D&R Canal, via handtruck and pickup. Handtrucking will be 1/2 mile from wood site to pickup...lotsa walking and hauling. Sometime after next week I hope to get that going.

Meanwhile, I need to make another run up to Lock 1. Up at the northern end at Duck Island, a stand of big trees came down on the towpath; no doubt falling in the early week's winds of 40-60 mph with Tornado Warnings for the entire Delaware Valley. I do believe that a microburst or mini-twister did the damage in this one confined area.

Somebody forgot to PM me Thursday about a possible ride today.....

Happy Easter, everybody.

mtbr member
    So I am glad to hear old Bear is doing better. Some bad weather is headed your way Mike. I went riding in it today. Cold rain and high winds. I took a ride to the top of the dam for alum Creek State Park
    Fat Biking and health-6584fe06-0a15-489c-b0f7-43fb94e350bc.jpg
    Yesterday was a beautiful day on singletracks at home. I drove back to Columbus from Michigan.
    Fat Biking and health-8d4e5568-9e16-4c81-b424-a15ea303c9ab.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, nice photos Tex still looks a little cool up your way. Will you have any single track in your new home town?

Banshee, kudos for loving the single speed I find 1x11 the minimum gear range for me these days

G seems like you are on track for a record milage year, nice colour in your photo too.

A Saturday ride report coming up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A Saturday ride...

Hi everyone, I managed to fit in a great ride this morning. I took my "gravel" Troll out for a mixed spin over 45 kms of road, bike track, rife road and some single track.

Friday had some rain around so I took the time to change the seat post, stem and handle bars on the Troll. After the first ride today the changes are great, the Jones bar when you get the height, reach and angle right are very comfortable.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00233.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc00234.jpg

Anyway on to this mornings ride, we had a foggy start to the morning which was a great way to start the day.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00236.jpg

The gravel fire road runs parallel the the Fernleigh track and its great to ride without have to deal with the traffic. Back on the main track soon has me arriving at Glenrock mountain bike trails.

A little bit of single track in the day.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00243.jpg

A creek crossing too...

Fat Biking and health-dsc00249.jpg

I soon arrived at the picnic table of dreams, the turning point for todays ride.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00262.jpg

The fog was burning off and the view was sparkling.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00257.jpg

A mostly down hill run home had me make good time and as the view across Lake Macquarie was sparkling I took a side street to a little park looking over Belmont Bay.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00269.jpg

The park is a favourite of mine and I was happy to find the grasses in flower as they make for a great foreground.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00271.jpg

A beautiful way to start the weekend, hope tomorrow repeats.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Good stuff, OZ!

Tex, lookin good! Who's that red head in those pix? :P

Today's foray...

Changing up the gear ratio on the Sunspot! He's now doing a 2:1 for the next step in returning to singlespeed status. This process began with short gears being incrementally changed for taller gears in small steps toward taller gears. The singlespeed experience has been more than worthy an endeavor as of late. Spending the time riding and sorting out the performance and where it lives with Sunspot being a different geometry and dimensions than the rest of my bikes has been a fun experiment.

Chief, Fred... Your move! And Terry too. :P
    Doctor recommended...

Easter Sunday Ride Report Up To Lock 1

22 miler up to Lock 1, D&R Canal to photograph downed tree damage on the north end of this run.....

The bad weather promised by TexMex came through Friday night with torrential downpours and high creek and Delaware River levels. A nice, temperate Easter Sunday morning and a good number of bicyclists and canal walkers were out and about on the towpath.

Fat Biking and health-100_3821.jpg
    Heading northbound, just a few hundred feet away from the Duck Island canal park entrance is the location of where I believe a mini-tornado or tornadic activity touched down, bringing down this stand of large trees right upon the towpath. Just as I was snapping this photo looking north, to my surprise, a cyclist was coming through the jangled trees and vinces that blocked the path. We struck up a nice conversation and I even lent him the use of the Haibike to get a feel for the Yamaha mid drive.

Fat Biking and health-100_3822.jpg
    In order to snap a photo on the northern side of this downfall, I had to double-back south to the canal park entrance at the old Penn Central/Pennsylvania Railroad coal spur entrance to the now closed Duck Island Power Generating Plant. From there, I pedaled north on Lamberton Road until I reached the Canal Park entrance, where just a few dozen feet in, you reach this dead fall.

Fat Biking and health-100_3823.jpg
    I was never too keen in biking on the towpath in high winds as there is no preemptive tree maintenance going on by the state. Their plan appears to be, if it falls, then we'll deal with it. Though I must say, I would have liked to have been present when these trees went down during the Tornado Warning we were under when these trees fell. Since this is a state park, workers will eventually clear the path with chainsaws. I must say, they have their work cut out for them.

Fat Biking and health-100_3824.jpg
    Heading south and homeward bound, at the Duck Island Coal Spur bridge area, my second turtle sighting for 2019. This time, 2 turtles next to each other, taking in the warmth of the day. The heavy rains of Friday night and Saturday morning really supercharged the weed and grass growth, literally overnight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Lovely rides and photos OZ and Mike!

I haven't been out yet today but my plan is for a relatively shorter ride today since I put a good heavy ride in yesterday.

---
    It was the usual Saturday Morning Ride time yesterday morning. The day came up a bit chilly by recent comparisons, and thoroughly overcast at first. I looked outside, decided on the long cycle pants and also decided that it would be a fine day to shoot some instant film photographs. So I pulled on my gear, tossed the Polaroid SLR670a with B&W film in my bag, and took off.

Of course, the first part of the ride is just getting down to Guadalupe River Park and meeting up with the boyz at the circle up point. I was late leaving so I sped by a somewhat direct route there. On the way, however, I saw that the light and some trees, some particular junctures on the trail, looked really nice and I was glad I brought the camera along. We met up, their walk started, and I sped off once more, back up through the park to where I'd seen the lovely light and scene...

Fat Biking and health-029-treeinfield.jpg

Just before I made that exposure, and while I was riding up to that point, I spied another scene that I thought looked nice from two different viewpoints ... So I stepped around to shoot that too.

Fat Biking and health-030-benchtreepicnictable.jpg

Fat Biking and health-031-treeandpicnictable.jpg

I rode back from there along the path and saw that the Boyz had moved on in their walk. This gave me the thought to go along their path a ways to the point just at the edge of San Jose Airport, at a turnabout on the trail, and see if there was anything interesting to photograph there. There was, to my eye...

Fat Biking and health-032-880overriver.jpg

That shows the Guadalupe River at the bottom, Interstate 880 crossing it next up, and above that CA Hwy 237 arcing over that, part of the criss-crossing complex of highways that service the SF Peninsula area. Looking back along the trail, this is where one of the nicest little roller coaster downhills in the neighborhood happens, as the trail quickly dives down almost to the river level to pass under I-880.

Fat Biking and health-033-pathunder880.jpg

I enjoyed riding down that plunge again: it's quite a thrill when you pedal hard at it and disappear down that nearly invisible slope!

I continued on at that point to the breakfast cafe, waited for everyone, did our usual breakfast and chat, and then sped off on the rest of my ride to see if I saw any more photos to make. But the sun had come up and the world no longer had that nice softness that this camera and film are so good at ... I didn't end up taking any more photos. The ride looped in and around the park twice before speeding back off to Santa Clara in the West.

Fat Biking and health-20190420-ride-grp.jpg

Altogether, about 19.5 miles, 1:45 riding time, 11.2 mph average, and 1000 or so calories consumed. The day never warmed up by much, I was very glad to have my long cycle pants on and my gloves.

It's much warmer even now that it ever got to yesterday. Hmm. Time to do my workout and then go for a ride...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    So we have our jerseys for the 100k...
    Fat Biking and health-8b76236e-53b7-425b-aec4-35ccaeb04330.jpg
    Of course nobody will be behind us to see the design.

My new place will probably be close to Oak Openings in Toledo and about 1 hour from DTE Foundation Trail. It is a little less technical riding but still fun.

My daughter is the one riding with me in the picture by Lake Erie.

Seeing a lot of good ride reports. I need to be stretching off the bike more than I do, but whenever I get the time to exercise I want to ride.

mtbr member
    Somebody forgot to PM me Thursday about a possible ride today.....
    Sorry, I didn't forget. I got blindsided by da wife and da MIL. I ended up running her to doctors and shopping. Then I had a benefit to help out with, Clocktower CPR did well we raised $2250 to buy the rest of the items we need to start training people in our little town in CPR, first aid and AED use.

Some great ride reports and pictures. I've been out for short ones with the wife. No phone for pic's

Mike, how are you looking for Sunday? The wife and everyone is going to a wedding show down the shore so I have the day to myself (I hope).

G: Nice photos. I recall the days in the 60's when color tv programs was a big, big deal. So much so that the opening of a lot of those shows liked to advertise in the title heading "In Color!". Black and white photos today seem to transform a shot we take for granted in color; in the process making them more interesting and artistic. Nice miles you have been racking up as well, a clear inspiration to all of us!

TexMex: Toledo looks like ground zero for lake effect snow, phew! Nice shirts with a good touch of humor included; I like it!

Chief: Remember too that while one person has made plans, so too has the other person set aside things for the day as well. A heads up would have been appreciated. So I'm gonna pass up on sunday's offer as it seems to include another bail-out clause and maybe we'll see you out on the trails one day or the other when I get back to riding on that side of the river.... Congrats on your fund raising efforts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G: Nice photos. I recall the days in the 60's when color tv programs was a big, big deal. So much so that the opening of a lot of those shows liked to advertise in the title heading "In Color!". Black and white photos today seem to transform a shot we take for granted in color; in the process making them more interesting and artistic. Nice miles you have been racking up as well, a clear inspiration to all of us! ...
    Heh. I do remember the switchover to mostly color television. It's never been much of a thing to me because I've never been all that much of a TV head. Color or B&W there hasn't affected me much at all.

In Photography, I've always loved using both, but preferred B&W for several reasons (not least of which in the film era was cost!). Nowadays, where most of my photography is digital capture and render to whatever I want, well, color with film seems such a PITA I just don't care to do it at all most of the time.

Just making something B&W doesn't make it artistic or interesting, to me. It makes it a little more difficult to get what I want out of it in some ways and easier in others, but then I'm a fine art photographer and see these things with a different eye than you might. Shooting with instant film layers another set of often difficult constraints on the ability to get what I want as well due to limitations of both the recording medium and the camera in many cases. I enjoy the challenge!

The above photos came out very pleasing to my eye, but the first, second, and last hit the numbers right where I wanted in previsualization, and the second gets the gold star.

---
    So yesterday I wasn't planning on a long ride but when I was getting ready to leave my partner suggested that we meet at the local pizza joint for a slice for lunch. Sure ... but then I wanted to ride farther. Falling into my loop-mental track-of where to go, I followed my nose and headed back to San Jose downtown. I discovered that they'd closed off the street where my favorite cafe is and installed a music festival there. I wiggled through the fencing and made my way to the cafe, locked the bike up, and enjoyed a nice cup and a half hour's worth of fun music. Time to go ... I wiggled back through the fence and headed around the loop back to home. 14 miles, 11.2 mph average ... A fine day out!

Oh yeah: Sometimes I find a photo in a cafe that just makes me laugh out loud. This wasn't yesterday but is apropos to the post ...

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Mike, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, there are things that need to be done for family when they pop up. I hope we do run into each other one of these days.
    I plan to ride up to Tyburn road this weekend to see if the new underpass is in use. This will limit one run off of the canal path down to the NE corridor tracks and back up again. I know the canal is under construction near Mill Creek and I'll have a chance to see if that's passable too.

I've been doing a few short rides around town, I've been experiencing some burning sensation in my right hip. I think I have some arthritis or bursitis in the hip. I'll have to see if I can get it to quiet down a little.

20 miler, Homebase to Lock 1 and back on a 77 degree late afternoon ride. Wanted to see if any progress was made in clearing out the downfalls on the upper end of the towpath, but I saw that nothing had been touched.

Rippin da fAt
    Sunspot was out on the prowl once again! Sunny, warm and perfect conditions for a good training in the dirt. The taller gears are working very well to earn the improvement in strength and endurance. Very pleased with the results arising from singlespeed.

Fat Biking and health-img_1242.jpg
    Sunspot inspecting a gully crossing with a nice jump on the opposite side.

Had Sarge out for some rolling around and playing this evening as well. Sarge and Sunspot both have distinct attributes that make each a great experience to hang out with.

Chief, get that hip sorted and a ride in with Mike!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, great to see you all managed some rides over the weekend.

Mike you might need a bigger folding saw to deal with that lot There is a large tree that fell over one of my local trails a few years ago, still there and every time I have to ride that way I cannot believe that it has not been removed yet. I get a photo next ride.

Hi G, a nice series of images, I too like the second image but the third one with the paths heading different ways is my favourite.

Tex if you want the other riders to see your shirt get to the front of the line at the start I ended up accidentally at the front of the last charity ride I did and that lasted about two hundred meters

Thats a great looking park to ride, are all the trails open to bikes?

Banshee props to you for loving the single speed, after my weekend tinkering and ride on the "gravel" Troll I am thinking of going back to a 2x set up mainly so I can knock over the road miles quicker to get to the trails. And still have the lower gears for the techie bits.

Back at work for some longish days but had a great ride with my son the other afternoon. Well I rode with him when he waited every few hundred meters for me Great to see him ride sections of trail that I don't even think about taking on. Still I held my own on the climbing bits

OZ.

Wade: Sunspot really gives a bright dash of spring like color to a very pastel colored landscape. You are really blessed with a beautiful environment to pedal in, my friend. Keep 'em coming.

Surly: Great stuff keeping up with your son! Lucky for us riders who use this towpath, it's maintained by the state of New Jersey. Though their grass and brush cutting efforts have left a lot to be desired on this particular 4 mile stretch of their canal, the main canal branches to the north and north east are more populated with visitors, hence it gets more maintenance attention and dollars. They usually jump on these downfalls. I just might be able to truck out some extra firewood once it does get cut up; as the north gate is very close by the fallen timber, allowing me to walk a hand truck in and out of the towpath quite nicely.

I'll do another Lock 1 run later in the day and report back.....

OldBear still AWOL. Might have to send out the MP's to search him out...

Rippin da fAt
    Thankya, Mike! It's a great +bike and fatbike habitat here.

OZ, the more important feature is torque. That is the ingredient that is necessary for the tech stuff to be conquered with authority.
    Singlespeed will improve the torque output handily.

Fred, your move...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The warm weather has been in town and I've been enjoying the heck out of it! Ah, the pleasure of riding in naught but my cycle shorts and a light jersey again! So nice to be unencumbered and just enjoy the ride!

I have had a camera with me most of the time (the Polaroid still ...) in the Wotancraft "mini rider" sling bag. For me, this is the near perfect riding bag. Expensive as all get out, not the lightest, but the most comfortable and most useful bag I've found in all these years of trying different bags on two-wheelers. Its canvas and leather construction doesn't make me sweat, it doesn't move around at all when riding, and it's easy to get stuff in and out of when I want to make a photograph. The larger size model (easy rider) is the same but larger than I usually need. I can fit a spare jersey as well as a camera and two lenses into the small one, other knicknacks too. It finally, really, does the business right for me.

---
    Yesterday was a busy two-wheeled day. I cycled up to Cupertino for lunch with my old friend and ex-manager from my last stint as a tech writer at Apple. We had a great lunch and a great talk about all kinds of things; Tony's a very fun guy as well as a superb writer and editor.

I then cycled down to San Jose from there to meet up with a few of my buddies for coffee in mid afternoon. No wind at all, and the gentle downhill, and the really nice route I've found from Cupertino to the Rose Garden neighborhood of San Jose, conspired to get me there so fast I was an hour early for our meet up! I was laughing as I'm pedaling along nearly effortlessly at 92 rpm and just over 20 mph! Just a kick!

Fat Biking and health-20190423-ride.jpg

And then home again, shower, get ready, and it was off on the motorcycle ("Racer") for Tuesday Night Dinner with my moto friends in Mountain View. With all the workouts and cycling I've been doing, riding the motorcycle has returned to being as natural as walking now, if not more so. My balance and confidence in controlling it in any situation is fully restored. Thank you, bicycling!

Today I'll ride Racer up to lunch in the mountains and cycle to dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant. It will be over 70°F even at 8pm this evening, and the sun doesn't set until just before that...

onwards, ever onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    I've been out for a few short rides to see how the hip feels. I got out for a little longer ride last evening. The local trail off the power lines I ride is still loaded with rain water along the side. Chance of rain the next 2 days which will add to this
    Fat Biking and health-img_0444a.jpg

Trees are starting to have leaves showing.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0445a.jpg

A look at Silver lake from the falls that lead to the Delaware River, there is a nature center here with trails which were crowded last evening. Lots of slow riding to get around walkers. There is a path around the lake too.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0446a.jpg

mtbr member
    Chief, we are a little bit behind in turning green here, but it is starting. It is a fantastic time of year to ride. No mosquitoes (yet), cool weather, blue skies.

Last night I hit the DTE trail again, this time I did the Kame& Winn loop which is a bit more climbing. 11 miles and 1000 ft. The elevation profile of the whole trail is only 150 ft but the trail takes you back and forth over glacial Kame and ridgelines. It is definitely my favorite ride as far as the trail goes. It is fast and flowy.
    Fat Biking and health-7a6c6038-e588-4515-917c-eb5e62cb3341.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-27cd37b7-d75a-4fff-b259-8f52b10c75fd.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    So we have our jerseys for the 100k...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B76236E-53B7-425B-AEC4-35CCAEB04330.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	449.6 KB 
ID:	1247923
    Of course nobody will be behind us to see the design.

My new place will probably be close to Oak Openings in Toledo and about 1 hour from DTE Foundation Trail. It is a little less technical riding but still fun.

My daughter is the one riding with me in the picture by Lake Erie.

Seeing a lot of good ride reports. I need to be stretching off the bike more than I do, but whenever I get the time to exercise I want to ride.
    Oak Openings.....wow. You did say that. I haven't been there since maybe 1973. I grew up in Toledo and remember Oak Openings from family picnics and YMCA day camps. The last time I was there I'd ridden out there on my 10 speed (all a guy could want back then) with a cute blond headed girl from the swim team. We had to call her mom for a pickup and a ride back in the family truckster. It was a long haul out there.

I've been enjoying this thread quite a lot. At 61, I'm just dragging an old Stump Jumper out and warming it up, though it's killing me to realize the condition I've allowed my heart to degenerate to. My neighbor has a Fatboy that's killing me to see but until I work for it on the '05 Stump, I can't think about that kinda cash.

You guys keep on posting, I'll keep stalking and slinking in the shadows and looking at Surley and Spesh fat bikes.

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172