Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970
Results 6,901 to 6,992 of 6992
    Fat Biking & Health Rider

Ride Report 23 January 2019: Operation Ice Berg Patrol

First off, nice reports and call-ins by the gang. Keep 'em coming.

In between the Arctic Front that visited us for the past 3 plus days and the near 60 degrees to follow after today accompanying heavy rain, the aftermath of the severe cold; a relatively windless but cold morning. So let's see how the Delaware River is, in addition to the state of my abandoned canal up Bordentown way. 21 miles riding total, from Homebase to the Trenton Boat Ramp and a side trip to Duck Island Power Plant. Let's get it on.....

Fat Biking and health-100_3699.jpg
    I've been avoiding the north bike run in recent weeks and in particular, the Crystal Lake Park property I use as a nice break in reaching Fieldsboro, NJ. The water table is so high in recent months here, with the lower elevations near Route 130 a muddy soggy mess. But with the arctic air mass, I suspected the ground was frozen solid. And my hunch paid off.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3700.jpg
    Crosswicks Creek at the Bordentown Yacht Club, near the Crosswicks Train Trestle. I'll give the above water height a conservative 6-7 feet of this berg resting in the mud.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3702.jpg
    Crosswicks Creek. Having pedaled across the train trestle and now on the walking path to the Lock 1 bridge, here is a taller berg moored in the mud of the creek.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3703.jpg
    Up on the D&R towpath and looking at the American Bald Eagle's nest within the Dr Charles C Abbott Marsh. Kinda wondering if another hatching of baby eagles is in progress as it was last year at this time. Majestic sight to see and it's here in good ole NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3705.jpg
    A near water level view of the old D&R Canal, up at the abandoned Duck Island railroad coal spur bridge. Here, in summer, a host of turtles can be seen sunning on this downed tree, right near an old and filled-in abandoned canal barge from another era...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3706.jpg
    Looking up at the Full FatSix, take 2. Take one, my bike fell and dumped it's contents inside the handlebar bag down the canal bank....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3707.jpg
    Same vantage point, looking north up the old canal. Ice and ice water....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3708.jpg
    I've exited the towpath and preceeded north along Lamberton Road to the Trenton Boat Ramp
    Fat Biking and health-100_3709.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3710.jpg
    One dimensional photos do not do justice to the size of this ice from here to the shores of Pennsylvania. 40 feet from my shoreline, the ice suddenly drops off some 5 or 6 feet on the outgoing tide still moving underneath this ice. To consider walking out on this stuff is likely the last thing a person would do, as the active current underneath is constantly working on the ice above, moving it, cracking it with the of rifle shots.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3711.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3712.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3713.jpg
    Back at Bordentown, down at the Boat Ramp and looking out from Crosswicks Creek to the Delaware River and the I-295 bridges. More bergs; tall ones. With the coming rains and warmer temps, this scene will be gone; this is why I wanted to document the great freeze of 2019.

Read up on the story of Washington crossing the Delaware, Christmas Eve, 1776. Recall the paintings of the revolutionaries and the General on their Durham boats, fending their way among the ice bergs on that fateful evening. That all happened but 10 miles upriver from here. Know the stories to be true, for here is some documentation of how severe it can get here. Consider the winter of 1776 was a severe one; miles worse than this winter of 2019. And after but 3 days of arctic cold, the river can take on the character of something out of the Yukon.... Thanks for looking and reading!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    OZ: Thanks. I spoke with Don yesterday. He's still not feeling very well, but improvement is happening. Thought about rescheduling for next week, but it's getting too complicated with my trip coming up so we've agreed to hook up the week I'm back and see what his situation is. I told him he has one mission: get well! And I will drive down to see him regardless that week.

I have made a couple of recent photos of he and I together, and will do so again on the next visit. I need to get a portrait of him and his wife too, she's a sweetheart and very nearly the same age. They've been together for over 70 years! My world will become a smaller place without the likes of Don and Mary Helen. I want to keep them with me until my Time also comes.

---
    It was so bright and sunny yesterday (albeit a bit chilly) that I couldn't stand not to ride even though I had an early lunch appointment in Mountain View, about 8 miles from home. Not too chilly ... 48F when I left, and due to warm up to almost 60 by 1pm ... so I pulled on the overpants and rode. It's not a very exciting ride, basically a straight shot up the roads along the CalTrain run from my place to the cafe, but it let me just sink into the cycling and spin. Dark thoughts flickered in and out of my consciousness: January 22 is the day Ursula died a year ago, January 25 is the day my mother went 11 years ago, and there are significant others in this two month span of the deep of Winter too. I let them flow through my head and let them go, sad vapors on the sunny wind, and remembered all the good times with all of those who passed in this time. My legs are feeling very good, my heart is stable and the arrythmia of last Summer is completely gone. Life is good: Hold to it lightly while its yours and enjoy it.

Just shy of sixteen miles, 12.7 mph average, felt great.

Don has a very wry sense of humor. "I went to see one of my doctors yesterday. I told him that all these problems are either the result of some poor fluids, some poor medications, or just the decrepitude of getting too darn old. Since I have never died before, I can't tell which of these are which just yet. ..." I love the man.

Onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Bear what's up with your back? The muscle relaxers and Tramadol work for me when it's real back but a heating pad and stretching help out the best. I hope the back eases up for you. I know the pain all too well.

I went to lunch today and it was nice out...... I got itchy for an outside ride. I got home it was cloudy and 50 degrees. I grabbed my new tights (thanks G) and got out the door. It felt so good. I was riding strong too. The intervals Im doing on the trainer a few times a week have helped. I was surprised. I hit the power lines, to get there I have to cross a school field, it was all torn up my people 4 wheeling. Lots of ruts and uneven ground to maneuver through. When I got to the power lines it was mostly mud all rutted up by the same thing. I was sliding around a good bit and took a spill when my tires slid out. I worked my way through the minefield. I had some trouble a vive wrapped around the rear tire, drive chain and cassette. I stopped and pulled it off, jumped back on and had an issue with one gear , it kept slipping. I had to use the one on either side of it. Of course it was the gear Im usually in. The vine seemed to have bedded down in there and I have to work it our. Thats for tomorrow during a rainy day in the shed. I hit the lake trail, they were very wet too. I took it easy not to rut it up on the walkers. I got out and headed home.
    The river has some ice on it along the sides and in the slower moving water areas.
    Attachment 1234804

I was sitting in work yesterday and today and I realized how good I was feeling. I felt fast, I wanted to move and do something. The core work and the trainer riding is paying dividends. A real good feeling. I hope it keeps up.
    Ok. Here's the skinny on my back issues. In my younger days, like most teens and young adults growing up in the 60's-70's I never thought much about the consequences of how I never treated my body as a temple. Hell it was my own amusement park! So now I have DGD and a tear in my right shoulder rotator cuff. So I reaped all this later in life. My lumbar region mri showed some discs that are damn near nonexistant. Jumped out of aircraft from altitude has a tendency to have your spine act like a friggin bungee cord. Lol.

No ride today, again. More nasty weather. Wind and rain makes it hard on an oldbear I tell ya. Lol. But tomorrow is going to be nicer with actual sunshine if I can believe the forecast.

G: That B/W photo of your fatty has excellent composition. The tones and shading blow me away.

Mike: all those pictures of the ice reminds me of early April 1970 on the Sesqahenna (?) at Port Deposit Md. I was nearby at Bainbridge NTC doing radioman "A" school.

Tex: how's Canada? Eh? Stay warm.

DH: c'mon and post more! Don't be a stranger!

Terry: waiting on pictures of your build.

Bansheerune: Your absences are noted into your permanent record. The truancy squad will soon be dispatched to collect your sorry butt! I know of them personally as you s3nt them to me!

Thank all of you for keeping this thread alive. We have reports coming from all across the globe. From OZ to San Fran bay to Colorado to Ohio to Canada (*Oh Canada* starts) to eastern Pennsy and Jersey and finally down here in Southern Bama. Yup we are like the old ABC Sports slogan... "Spanning the globe".

I really wish that Dr. Pepper and Robert David would check in. Sigh.

Untillater
    PEACE...LOVE...AND FATNESS
    Oldbear, Cubby and Youngbear.
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Still need to bleed the rear brakes. Mayor V3 with Mastodon. SRAM GX 1x11.

Fat Biking and health-t_mayor.jpg

Fat Biking and health-8ae33249-30b4-4c64-960a-cba60edabd3a.jpg
    Last edited by Terry66; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Still need to bleed the rear brakes. Mayor V3 with Mastodon. SRAM GX 1x11.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t_mayor.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	1234951

Name:	8AE33249-30B4-4C64-960A-CBA60EDABD3A.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	427.1 KB 
ID:	1234963
    Terry: Sweet ride! Now get out there and break it... In...lol.

The first decent day in this week. 54f and sunny. Got out for a hour and rode over to Wal-Mart. Took my lock with and locked it up inside the entrance. There is a nice standpipe right inside the door. Got into an interesting discussion about me GBEM Pro and it's tires (tyres to you Oz) . This teen said he got a Wal-Mart Dolomite for his first day of school. It self destructed within a month. Of course he was interested in mineand i told him where I got it. He wanted to take Blue for a spin but I said no. Had a sneaking suspicion about being seperated from Blue. Lol. I rode over to a local thrift store and looked at an old Schwinn there. They want $25 for it. Not in too bad shape either.

Anyway. I'm just laying around tonight. The back is getting better and I am resting it for this evening.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Chief and Mike that looks great on the eye, not sure about real life Still a little bit of that laying around would "chill" our temps a little bit. We had a nice cool day in Sydney yesterday however today is back in the furnace.

Terry the new build looks great I bet it will be a sweet ride, I keep thinking about adding a suspension fork to my Farley, however riding on sandy beaches and salt spray that goes with it stops me. Plus my other offroad bikes have suspension forks. Still it will be good to hear your impressions.

G, 70 years together that deserves a image or two of them together.

A ride report coming up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A morning spin along the Harbour...

Hi everyone, a rare ride report from down under. These last four weeks that I have been on holidays are some of the hottest and unpleasant temps I can remember. We postponed our tip down to Canberra as its been even hotter there. So my kms ridden would be the least amount for many years, this morning though I managed to get a ride in.

I had to drop our car in for a service in town at 7.30am, as it was going to take a few hours to finish the job I placed the Brompton in the boot of the car too. Not a fat bike but still a ride

It was a cool morning with low cloud hanging around and as I rode along the south side of Newcastle Harbour.

Fat Biking and health-img_2463.jpg

I could hear a ships fog horn before I could see it. Soon enough it emerged from the morning mist.

Fat Biking and health-img_2466.jpg

Not a bulk carrier wanting a load of coal but a P&O cruise ship, in this case the Pacific Aria making a port call. A British ship and a London bike perfect

Fat Biking and health-img_2472.jpg

After taking this photo a couple stopped to have a sticky beak at the Brompton, I few foldings and unfoldings and a kick of the tyres I they are keen to find out more. I offered them a ride on mine but they have not ridden in years did not want to stack it So I mentioned the LBS that I brought mine from hires Brompton's too, so they might give that a try. Funny out of all the bikes I ride only the Fat Bike and Brompton cause people to ask questions about them. Even the lady in the car service was keen for a look when I arrived back to pick the car up.

That was for later as I made my way around the beach road to my favourite view of Newcastle beach.

Fat Biking and health-img_2531.jpg

The lifting fog made for some great light. A stop in a local coffee shop for a breakfast smoothie and back up along the beach were the next ship was squeezing into the Harbour mouth.

Fat Biking and health-img_2540.jpg

Past Nobbys Light house as the locals have a morning swim, in water thats not frozen Chief and Mike

Fat Biking and health-img_2551.jpg

That bit of sand would be cooking now though. And just when you think you ride the weirdest bike someone comes along on a mountain Uni cycle!

Fat Biking and health-img_2556.jpg

More to come...

OZ.

Surly In Oz: Your pictures are a reminder here that soon enough, similar weather will have taken over this winter ice landscape here. It sounds like it has been tough, relentless, that heat. I do not envy you.

As one who was assigned semi-isolated light house duty for a year and a half off the coast of Maine while in the USCG, I'm quite taken by your picture of that unique looking piece of land and light house called Nobby's Light House. I'll be sure to wiki that one to read up on it. It sure looks like the beachcombers are having a lovely time at it on what appears to be a nice but hot summer day.

Nice looking bike there in that Brompton. There is a bike similar to this that has been around for a few years here in the US called Bike Friday. Neat looking bikes; however just as costly as a normal sized bike. Then again, if one wants quality that is going to last, the entry fee to own is high.

Terry66: Super nice build with a real stand out color. Congrats and best wishes with her.

mtbr member
    Oz; Superb pictures as usual. Those shots are the best yet! Keep it up. How big are those wheels on your folder? Kinda cool looking. Keep up the good fight down under!

I am pretty much pain free this morning (2am) just finishing watching Bruce Willis in "Tears Of The Sun" with Cubby n Young bear. Had a few Bud Ice and now I'm a little more relaxed. ( no I'm not inebriated) lol.

Looked at tires for Young bear's fatty, my good old Ryback. Looking to put a Veerubber Snowshoe XL on the front (4.8") and maybe a Veerubber Bulldozer on the rear. Ryback is the older geometry of a 170 rear and can only fit a 4.25 tire on thecrear. The same goes for Blue. Blue has a Bluto up front and easily handles the 4.8" Snowshoe XL. The rear is again the older 170 spacing so Blue sports a Veerubber H-billie 4.25" in the rear. Those two tires were a gift from Uncle Gomez of FAT-Bike.com fame. Fat-Bike.com has been a stalwart source for all thing Fat. They have a podcast called "The Weekly Dose of Fat". For Mama bear and I it was our "Prairie Home Companion" for cycling. Back when Mama and I were warehoused in that " nursing home" Uncle Gomez" made a trip down to visit with us and we did a remote podcast from the home. He is one cool brudda.

Until Later
    Oldbear, Cubby and Youngbear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Mike, you will like the second part I am about to start writing up, Nobbys up close. And its worth looking up the story of the rock. Yep this heat has put a dampener on our summer.

OB the Brompton ruins 16 inch wheels, but runs very smooth through a cleverly designed frame.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A morning spin part two...

Hi everyone back for part two.

I still had a little time to pass and another ship was on the horizon lining up to make its way into the harbour. So I rode out along the path to Nobbys Lighthouse and the entrance to Newcastle Harbour.

On the inside of the harbour is a small beach that is open to dogs and their human friends its very popular as most ocean beaches don't allow dogs to run free. It was glowing in the morning light and many dogs enjoying their moments of freedom.

Fat Biking and health-img_2569.jpg

Out to the base of the lighthouse where I parked the Brompton to wait for the ship to come in.

Fat Biking and health-img_2587.jpg

The building at the bottom is a part of near by Fort Scratchley used to defend the city.

The rock the lighthouse sits on was in the process of being knocked down in 1854 to improve the ability of sailing ships to access the harbour, the locals at the time made such protests at its removal that it was stopped, one of the first acts of environmental protection in Australia. And it has gifted the city of Newcastle with one beautiful beach that is loved year around.

This is the very northern corner of Nobbys beach.

Fat Biking and health-img_2590.jpg

The good wife and I have had a few walks along the beach in the last few weeks in the afternoon to take in the cooling sea breezes.

Soon the ship Anangel Destiny was coming down the channel.

Fat Biking and health-img_2607.jpg

Once in the channel they have no room to manoeuvre is a very narrow river.

Fat Biking and health-img_2622.jpg

I had to hop on the Brompton to case her down the harbour to catch a last photo of the city and the dog beach on the left and this mornings P&O arrival birthed to the right.

Fat Biking and health-img_2626.jpg

With the cloud burning off it was time to ride back to the car dealer and cool off out of the sun.

OZ.

Very nice and very unique, Surly. Most excellent ride report.

mtbr member
    Great pic's OZ. I love to ride, I also have a passion for surf fishing. I'd have a 10' rod and be working that inlet over from the point with a few lures. LOL.

Mike supposed to warm a little Saturday.

My ribs were a bit of an issue last evening. I rode the trainer and did my stretching and some core work. They were really sore, I'm not sure if it's from the stretching, core or from the slip and fall from Wednesday. But they let me know about it with each new move or when I go to get started, new position. Gonna be a problem for a little I guess. Slow and steady.

Oh, my supervisor was let go this morning. So I don't have that issue anymore.

Have a good weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    I took the wife new Jeep back to the dealership for some add-ons. Running boards, entrance covers and a covered gas cap. On the way home I came across an accident, a lady drove off the road down a small embankment and into some trees. I pulled her new Jeep into the mud and went down down and got the lady out. The car was smoking and some people had stopped and were telling me to get away its going to explode. I've done this before, call 911 and get out of the way. I got her out, the car didn't explode, it didn't even burn but it looked like it might light up that's why I wanted her out of the vehicle. So I get home and throw everything into the washer. I hear a fire call and listen as I get the twigs out of my rear cassette so I can ride Sunday and not miss gears. As I'm listening I hear the PD is on location and says the fire is out only a chair reduce the call to 1 engine. Something that scares me, the unknown. Does the cop know the fire is out? As I listen my ex deputy now chief ignores the PD and keeps the full response coming to the call. Good thing; I trained him right. The fire involved the front wall of the house and extended to the 2nd floor.
    Fat Biking and health-bmvemesurb6ujqzshug8lg.jpg
    I leave the fire and head home and figure I'll hit the chiropractor. My ribs were killing me all last night and today. I explain the 2 tumbles and the sore ribs. He tries a normal adjustment and it hurts. I let him know about it. He changes his approach and goes at it another way and gets my back to move a little and suggests some ice on my ribs.
    Well I'm feeling pretty good tonight.
    Busy day for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Got out for a ride at my "local"

I got out for a daytime ride yesterday at a park near my house.
    Bronte Creek Provincial Park: https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/brontecreek

It isn't crazy singletrack, but considering it is only a couple miles (few km) from my house, it is my go-to.

I've been through this park probably 100s of times, but never tried this particular trail, as I thought it was just a dead end. Turns out it is essentially that, but way better than I thought.

Only catch is that about %40 toward the bottom was off camber and icy, so I wound up walking much of that.

Fat Biking and health-bcpp-hill-2-lower-side.jpg

Fat Biking and health-bcpp-hill-1.jpg

I had to stop for the deer in the photo below (tough to see):
    Fat Biking and health-bcpp-deer-there.jpg

I was tempted to cross the ice bridge in the one below:
    Fat Biking and health-bcpp-creek-2.jpg

Fat Biking and health-bcpp-creek-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-bcpp-deer-there-cropped.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mikbur, great pictures, nice report and welcome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz...I had thought about putting the Mastodon on my Specialized but decided I was happy with the 4.6 tires and carbon fork. I rode a friends Salsa 26x3.8 with a Bluto. Seemed like a pretty awesome cross between a regular mountain bike and my Fatboy. Then I got to check out a Beargrease 27.5 and knew I wanted a 27.5x3.8 with suspension. Ill report back when I get some miles on it. Looking forward to hitting the technical rocky stuff.

Mike...it is a bright color for sure. I wanted color...so either orange or green. All my bikes are either black or gray other than the orange Fatboy, so it was an easy call.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    It snowed last night, and I had a chance to get out again.

Saw some birds - anyone able to identify them?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-bcpp-boardwalk.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-bcpp-birds.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-bcpp-birds-2.jpg  

Just did a good bit of checking and I can find nothing that matches up with those back and wing feathers. Looks like a turkey or ptarmigan; but again, those feathers....

All told, very nice snow shots, Mikbur. And to come across wildlife like that is a special moment, isn't it?

mtbr member
    With the nice weather today here in the east my wife and I got out for a nice ride. It was breezy but doable. We got it in 8 miles and it felt great. It's supposed to get frigid later in the week again. Only another month and a half until it gets nice enough to expect daily outside rides. We'll get a few days in the 60's here and there, we just have to keep an eye out. We're looking forward to it.

Mike some good news, I saw a report on FB from the Friends of the Delaware Canal. They are close to finishing the tunnel under the RR tracks that block the canal path. They are also looking to tunnel under Tyburn Rd too. That is the other block for the canal path in Bucks County.
    I have some pictures I need to mark up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    It snowed last night, and I had a chance to get out again.

Saw some birds - anyone able to identify them?
    Those are definitely young turkeys. We saw tons of them in Missouri when we lived in the Ozarks. Mighty good tasting too. Can't really tell if they're youny hens or jakes. We hunted for them.

Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    I took the wife new Jeep back to the dealership for some add-ons. Running boards, entrance covers and a covered gas cap. On the way home I came across an accident, a lady drove off the road down a small embankment and into some trees. I pulled her new Jeep into the mud and went down down and got the lady out. The car was smoking and some people had stopped and were telling me to get away its going to explode. I've done this before, call 911 and get out of the way. I got her out, the car didn't explode, it didn't even burn but it looked like it might light up that's why I wanted her out of the vehicle. So I get home and throw everything into the washer. I hear a fire call and listen as I get the twigs out of my rear cassette so I can ride Sunday and not miss gears. As I'm listening I hear the PD is on location and says the fire is out only a chair reduce the call to 1 engine. Something that scares me, the unknown. Does the cop know the fire is out? As I listen my ex deputy now chief ignores the PD and keeps the full response coming to the call. Good thing; I trained him right. The fire involved the front wall of the house and extended to the 2nd floor.

Name:	bMVEMeSURB6uJQZSHUG8lg.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	1235138
    I leave the fire and head home and figure I'll hit the chiropractor. My ribs were killing me all last night and today. I explain the 2 tumbles and the sore ribs. He tries a normal adjustment and it hurts. I let him know about it. He changes his approach and goes at it another way and gets my back to move a little and suggests some ice on my ribs.
    Well I'm feeling pretty good tonight.
    Busy day for me.
    Andy: I guess all the firefighting traing never goes away.
    Just a quick question. How old is that house? I know Phillie is a colonial city. So i assume that beautiful house is at least 19th century?
    I lived down near Chambersburg years ago in a "in law house" Our part was a log cabin. It was clapboarded over.
    Until a bit later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Those are definitely young turkeys. We saw tons of them in Missouri when we lived in the Ozarks. Mighty good tasting too. Can't really tell if they're youny hens or jakes. We hunted for them.

Until later
    Oldbear.
    Mikbur: I looked closer at your pictures. They are young Eastern Woodland Turkeys. Most likely poults from last spring. Can't really if they're hens or just young jakes. (Immature males). They are great eating too. Yes, I'm an unbashed meat eater. Lol
    Until tomorrow
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Lots of nice pix and reports, thank you all!

oldbear: Thanks for the compliment on the photo!
    terry: The Mayor looks great! Love the color!

A few days since I've posted and things have happened.

A good friend had expressed an interest in my Sumo eFatbike a month or so ago. Well, yesterday was bright and sunny, she came by and took a test ride, looked at me and said, "This bike is fantastic! Your other one is even better? I'm astonished!" and bought Sumo on the spot. I haven't ridden Sumo, other than to test ride before she arrived yesterday, since last April. Test riding it yesterday to be sure it was in tip top shape, I know why I loved it so much. Man, that electric power assist lets you fly when you want to, EVEN on the lowest power setting! Compared to FCC, it's heavy and slow responding. But the Black Floyd's give it a cushy ride, it stops extremely well, it handles great, and the seating position is a bit more relaxed than FCC. It'll work well for Suzanne; I'll miss it. But I'm so limited on storage space here, it's good to have that extra space back. I hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

---
    Rides:

The weather has been remarkably warm for this time of year since I last wrote. Thursday was an unexpectedly sunny and warm day; it inspired me to a nice eighteen miler for a lunch and late afternoon snack ride around the usual loop.

Saturday was chilly when I left at 41F, but due to warm up rapidly a bit later. I wore my fleece long cycling pants and an overshirt, knowing I'd pull off the overshirt on the way back. I left on my Saturday morning ride, had breakfast with the boyz, and just had to do another half a loop around through Japan Town and downtown. Those long cycling pants are so darn comfortable to ride in, hardly noticed the chilly air at all! I just might get another pair: I see Aero Tech are making a version with the pockets and pad of their All Day Shorts, my favorite shorts. Hmm hmm hmm. Anyway, I ended up doing nineteen and some miles on Saturday, just noodling around the loop and adding to it, arriving home just as it was getting warm enough that I'd really want to switch into shorts.

Sunday I'd planned to take the car up to a friend's gallery reception in Saratoga. Not the most interesting or picturesque ride... Suzanne came by and bought Sumo, and that proceeded so quickly that I realized I had plenty of time to cycle there. What the heck? It was already warm when I left and was nominally about a ten mile ride each way. Should be fun. I forgot that the going there is a long, long uphill run, about a 500 foot elevation climb all the way. I set my pace to a conservative 75 rpm or so and just kept at it, working the gears to keep spinning the same speed. A couple of roadie riders passed me at one point; as the road got steeper, I passed them. It was fun, we laughed at our mini competition, but FCC has gearing much more suitable to those steep bits than their roadies do and it wasn't a fair fight. The payback for that long tough climb is the glorious blast home afterwards, in top gear cranking along at 93 rpm lightly as FCC sails down the road at 22+ mph until the road levels out as I hit the valley. 21 miles, two highway bridge crossings, a nice look at my friend's photos ... a really fun afternoon of riding.

Gods I love riding this bike!

Onwards, always onwards...
    G

mtbr member
    Oldbear, Bristol was established in 1681. The street this house was on was identified and there is a house in the same location but I don't know that it's that old.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Mikbur: I looked closer at your pictures. They are young Eastern Woodland Turkeys. Most likely poults from last spring. Can't really if they're hens or just young jakes. (Immature males). They are great eating too. Yes, I'm an unbashed meat eater. Lol
    Until tomorrow
    Oldbear
    I appreciate the identification!
    While I was riding, and before I saw them, there were all these tracks criss-crossing the fresh snow. Never saw anything like them before on my rides in there.

mtbr member
    Greetings and Salutat from the sunny south. It hit 66 here today. Got out for a ride as i had to go to the bank to get my direct deposit setup. Beautiful day. No clouds and an extremely gentle gulf breeze. But that changes as soon as the sun sets. Went from 61f to 49f in ten minutes. But most of the day e had our front door wide open. I iied to upload a pic of ur door. But no dice. Lol
    Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    66, WOW. I wish. It was 47 until dark. It's dropping HARD here in the next few days. Not looking forward to it ........ BUT it's almost over another 45 days we'll be in mid March and starting to get outside for real.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No ride today ... My hip was being cranky so I decided to let it rest. I pushed pretty hard on Sunday, I guess. Such is life.

Temps are supposed to soar up to 68F tomorrow, and should be sunny with some chance of showers. I'll be riding! Then it's supposed to rain for three solid days.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    As i turn in at 2:30am. I just thought I'd drop in for a second.

We are getting a bit of cold maily at night from the vortex. It seems my sister up in the Chicago burbs never got out of single digits.

Terry66...man i used to have a 1967 Datsun 1200 pickup the same color as your mayor. We called it "Sprout".

Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    As I was leaving Canada I started feeling the flu coming on. I have been absolutely knocked flat since Thursday. Finally turning a corner just in time for -30 windchills. I am not quite up for a ride yet, but I wouldn't ride in this anyway. The wind is so strong it would be miserable to ride in even if it were warm. So I'll bide my time, do some maintenance on the bike

Get better soon, TexMex. The riding can wait for you to recover. As I type this, a snow squall line from that midwest polar vortex came roaring in with driving snow and high winds. Stay safe and warm everyone.

mtbr member
    Yeah temps have plummeted, the squall came roaring through. It snowed hard for a few minutes. It was pretty cool. Gone now but holy mackerel it got cold.

Texmex, feel better, it's a bad one this year I'm hearing from friends. Rest and recover, the riding can wait.

Trainer in the basement this evening felt better than outside today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hmm. We're getting the inverse at the moment: Temps today were like Summer weather, I could have ridden today in t-shirt and shorts. The global weirding continues...

---
    A quick nip downtown for coffee and an orange. Nothing particularly exceptional about it, just quick and fun. Just about 14 miles ... feels like nothing at this point.

Life Is Good ... onwards!

G

0800 hours, 2 degrees above zero.

Fat Biking and health-100_3239.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3272.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3285.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3284.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3300.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3321.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3340.jpg

A look back at my summertime 2018 run up the D&R and D&L towpath canal system; when running under the shade of trees was a welcome relief from the 90 degree plus mid-summer heat. Just to remind those of us in the winter cold that it will warm up again one day.......

mtbr member
    Soon Mike, soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, hope you have all made it through the cold snap that just passed. From the news reports it seemed like an event. We had our own "Southerly Buster" come through last night and this one is going to stick around for a week or so with much cooler temps. As if we need to be told but the Bureau of Meteorology just posted that January was the hottest on record for N.S.W.

Still I was back at work this week so I had to ride everyday Raining steadily now so I don't know if I will manage a ride on Saturday, a shame as I was very keen to enjoy the cooler weather. Still as you are all saying the change of seasons is getting closer everyday.

Mikbur and Mike a nice contrast of images, soon Mike you will be out enjoying the greenery again.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So it is possible that our temps on Monday could be in the high 50s. That would literally be a 60 degree temp change in three days.

Mike - nice green pics. I try to just enjoy whatever weather we have...although the negative double digits were a bit tough! I think my favorite Ohio riding is mountain biking in the fall. The temps and colors are awesome.

G - Sounds like perfect weather. I usually visit California a few times a year. I was in SF in late August before heading to Utah for some hiking. I was also in LA/SD a few weeks back.

mtbr member
    Well it warmed up last night to 10 degrees, and we got 7" of snow. I need to go for a ride today if work gives me the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Was perfect weather: Weather is changing here. Big water and wind storm coming in. And, of course, it's happening just when I'm about to hop on a plane and fly out early tomorrow morning. Sigh.

I'm going out for a short bicycle ride and then I have to concentrate on packing and getting ready to be gone for a week. I'll be touring the Caribbean aboard a ship with 4000 or so of my best buddies after tomorrow morning. LOL!

onwards, always onwards!
    G

FCC - Santa Clara 2019

Photographed using Leica M4-2 fitted with Instant Magny 35 gizmo
    and Leica Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 lens onto Fujifilm Instax SQ
    instant film. Snapped with iPhone 8 Plus and rendered for posting
    with SnapSeed app.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Made it back *just* in time for the sky to open up and the rain to fall. Whee! It's pouring out there now.

---
    A nice "short" ride around my usual loop, no stops, just cycling and enjoying myself. Twelve miles, cool and crisp in the pre-rain air. That's it for the next ten days or so. Worth it.

I better pack.

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Sometimes a ride in the rain is good, I admit I don't like a monsoon though.

It has been a rough week for me. First the flu, then today my boss (the guy I came to the company to work for) advised he is leaving the company and a lot of other not so nice changes are coming as well. So the I suppose the only constant is change.

The weather changed too. We are above 0F, we hit a high of about 18 degrees after the Alberta clipper was done dumping snow. I decided I was going to go ride. I definitely enjoyed it though my power was still very limited from being so ill. Breaking in trail in 6-8" of snow was not as hard as I thought it would be because the snow was PERFECT. I also was not breaking trail on singletrack. But it was nice to get out even though it was a short ride. I need to ease back into it.
    Fat Biking and health-2019-02-ride-2-.jpgFat Biking and health-2019-01-ride-1jpg.jpg

Tough weather conditions and the illness that comes at this time of the year have put a crimp on riders here from the midwest to the east. Seems that G and Surly are the only guys not affected by their particular weather.

I want to revisit the canal and the Delaware for some ice pics; but hesitant as snow fall yesterday will have road salt mixed in for that 12 miles of riding to and from the canal towpath.

Study in contrasts with human nature: Chief's boss, who made life hard for him and I assume others, was recently let go; while TexMex's boss, who it appears is a good person to work for and with, is leaving....opening up a new day of uncertainty moving forward. Sincere best wishes for TexMex and as well as Chief as they transition to new leadership.

mtbr member
    Mike I was up your way today and came down 295. I stopped for a shot of the river.
    Fat Biking and health-tmwc1hceqvs1m9p5xxkugw.jpg

Mid 40's tomorrow and I WILL get outside for a ride. I can't wait. It will warm enough to get out most of the week and I'm looking forward to it.

I hope everyone is feeling OK. I just got back from a kids party where they were all sick with something. I popped some Airborne when I got home. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Tex that looks real inviting at the moment. We had a cool rainy day yesterday and this morning the heat was back, Mike and Chief your river would be ice free in minutes if I could send this heat your way

Did not ride this morning, I should have as the day is coming to an end and another weekend passes without a ride. This would be my lowest km total to start any year ever, lucky I am riding to work or I would be getting no miles at all. And to top things off I have to mow the lawn this afternoon, just waiting for the sun to dip low behind the western ridge to make it seem cooler

Hope you all get a ride in on Sunday.

OZ.

Chief: Solid coverage there; nice shot. Consider the river got cleared of the ice after my pics were taken leading off this thread page here with the heavy overnight rains and rise in temps. When the Polar Vortex of this week came roaring in, it freezed it solid pretty much overnight.

Note: If you took this from the I-295 overlook parking area, the Lock 1 and D&R canal are a tiny bit of walk over the overpass walking bridge. In fact, that scenic overlook is actually not far from the Lock 1 lock chamber.....

Surly: So this seems to be shaping up as one of your hotter summers on recent record for you. Here's to hoping the summer extreme heat lets up for you.

Crazy as our weather is, this coming week has a day predicted to brush near or over 60 degrees.

Ride Report-3 February 2019 After the Polar Vortex-Ice Berg Patrol #2

With the severe Polar Vortex cold gone and temps a bit over 40, I thought it time to get out, head north up the D&R Canal up to Trenton to record the ice fields aka Delaware River. With the coming near spring warm up this week to come (60 degrees one day!), this very well may be the last chance for photographing Delaware River ice for the winter of 2018/19. So let's get going....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3714.jpg
    The roads are whitened with salt. On the Old York Road, heading north....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3715.jpg
    Bordentown, NJ, centerspan on the NJT Crosswicks Creek train bridge, looking south on the Creek towards the Delaware River and the I-295 bride. The tide has begun to turn to the ebb....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3716.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3718.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3719.jpg
    At the Trenton, NJ public boat ramp, looking west on the river towards Pennsylvania. I really like how these 3 shots turned out. There always seems to be a mass piling of ice bergs here at the boat ramp and it did not disappoint today; and these photos help convey just how high the ice is piled onto itself here.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3721.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3722.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3723.jpg
    The next 3 set of shots were taken at the US Gauging Station for Trenton, NJ. The first is looking downriver, the last looking north towards Trenton Falls and the end of navigation on the Delaware River. This piling of the ice in this general area and to the north helps contribute to flooding of the small towns on the NJ and PA sides of the river from Trenton, up to Yardley, PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3726.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3727.jpg
    Bordentown, NJ at the Bordentown Public Boat Ramp. The outgoing tide is helping flush the ice from the north out. It will take a few days for the stuff at Trenton to break up. Often, the US Coast Guard will have to dispatch an icebreaking tug from Philadelphia to come up river here and cut a path for the ice to flow downstream during the ebb tide.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3729.jpg
    Sign of the times..... From the vantage point where I snapped the pictures looking out at the river, I looked down to see this hypodermic needle sitting in the flotsam the Delaware River tide washed up. Nice....

mtbr member
    Yeah Mike disgusting finding the syringes laying around. I see them along some of my rides along certain streets. They just dump them or drop them. Last year I rode by a deceased OD right next to a local hospital.
    I got out 2 days in a row, man it's been nice out.

Ice on the river near Edgely.
    Fat Biking and health-dxjzv%25tfsqwgjl5w2p7enw.jpg

Sunset over the canal lagoon.
    Fat Biking and health-tnyaqgwdtak2vc8eonqwnw.jpg

More river ice.
    Fat Biking and health-u6iwemm8qga%25l%25fify2ytq.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-tgdrkocxteicm19rl%25ym2g.jpg

Chief: Nice shots there. The big ice field at Trenton to the north will be coming down your way as it begins it's break up with the warm temps to come this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo! Comm too slow for frequent posts. In Cozumel, MX today. Splendid time .. back next week.

Keep on riding!

onwards...
    G

mtbr member

Hospital time once again.chapter 1k

Oldbear is not truant!!!

I am in South Baldwin Regional Medical Center.
    Seems like i Caught some bug. My oxygen level dropped to 88%. The paramedics/emts got me into the ambulance and came down here sirens and all. Theydid a chest xray and blood work too. My cardiac enzymes were elevated and the xray showed fluid in my.lungs. That explains alot.
    Let's back.up a bit..
    Last week i developed a raging head cold with anasty sinus infection. It moved into my lungs andears too. So yesterday I was getting extremely fatigued just walking to the head. So at 4pm i called 911.
    So.now I'm on oxygen, lasix injections,iv and morphine prn. I wasso sore from coughing and hacking the doc prescribed it.
    If anyone feels like calling down here the number is 251-949-3171.
    By the way there is actual good news to.be had. My weight is now 230lbs!

Until later
    Oldbear

Old Bear: Sorry to hear of this latest news but happy to know you cut your losses and called for the professionals to come in and help you.

Fwiw, in winter, the bronchitis I always seem to end up with starts as that head cold like yours and just like in your case, moves then into the lungs. Past few years have been especially tough dealing with that stuff. Unlike you, I've always been mule stubborn in trying to self medicate myself via over the counter meds. The stuff never works and I assure myself of a month-2 month long battle. You definitely did the right thing in calling for help.

The ground continues to be super-water saturated due to the year long rainfall we've had here in the east. Today, more rain is in the forecast. With this crap weather, my planned riding has not worked out to well and once again, will be starting all over fitness wise whenever the dry and warm weather returns.

I should probably devote an hours time today to cleaning up the fatbike as it got dirtied up pretty good on my ice berg patrol report. In the meantime, rest up, get well.

mtbr member
    Get well, Bear. Rest up. We have rain here in the Midwest as well. Starting to wonder if I should build an ark

Rippin da fAt
    Oldbear is not truant!!!

I am in South Baldwin Regional Medical Center.
    Seems like i Caught some bug. My oxygen level dropped to 88%. The paramedics/emts got me into the ambulance and came down here sirens and all. Theydid a chest xray and blood work too. My cardiac enzymes were elevated and the xray showed fluid in my.lungs. That explains alot.
    Let's back.up a bit..
    Last week i developed a raging head cold with anasty sinus infection. It moved into my lungs andears too. So yesterday I was getting extremely fatigued just walking to the head. So at 4pm i called 911.
    So.now I'm on oxygen, lasix injections,iv and morphine prn. I wasso sore from coughing and hacking the doc prescribed it.
    If anyone feels like calling down here the number is 251-949-3173. Room 173

Until later
    Oldbear
    There, fixed it for ya Fred!

Spoke with Fred, he's doing well and will be released tomorrow.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Spoke with Old Bear via FB this morning.
    Best wishes Fred, get well quickly. No chasing the nurses, rest.

I got out this evening, it was cloudy and cool with a breeze out of the east. I got in a nice 9+ miles and got home before the rain. Hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon before the front comes through dropping the temps again.
    Feels good to be outside. I'll be back in the basement over the weekend.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, you know that's the reason he's there...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Here you go g.

oldbear is not truant!!!

I am in south baldwin regional medical center.
    Seems like i caught some bug. My oxygen level dropped to 88%. The paramedics/emts got me into the ambulance and came down here sirens and all. Theydid a chest xray and blood work too. My cardiac enzymes were elevated and the xray showed fluid in my.lungs. That explains alot.
    Let's back.up a bit..
    Last week i developed a raging head cold with anasty sinus infection. It moved into my lungs andears too. So yesterday i was getting extremely fatigued just walking to the head. So at 4pm i called 911.
    So.now i'm on oxygen, lasix injections,iv and morphine prn. I wasso sore from coughing and hacking the doc prescribed it.
    If anyone feels like calling down here the number is 251-949-3171.

Until later
    oldbear

mtbr member
    Rain this morning, temp wasn't bad. I went to work, I was out by 11. Lunch at home and the skies cleared like the predicted and the wind came up. Temps were in the 50's so out I went. Down the business district parking lot and noticed some large pieces of river ice stranded in the old cannel lagoon front he river.
    Fat Biking and health-j3dfphd8quq0nhya4-n8aw.jpg

Fat Biking and health-ak4ucokoqyetuzmqmvjl5q.jpg

I got down towards the Burlington - Bristol bridge and found a few deer along the river.

Fat Biking and health-cuy07ehtqyoghhek10rfpg.jpg

I rode into the wind early and down wind to get home. Temp's are supposed to be below freezing over the weekend so it's back to the basement for a few days.

Have a great weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    Not quite outta here yet. They are doing a lot of tests. Had an echo done of my heart
    Another chest xray and soon the Medtronics gech will be doing the analysis of my Pace/defrib unit. My blood pressure is way down toon 115/69. I haven't had those numbers since '75. Lol
    But I should be .out by Monday latest.

Oz...i love folding.bikes. when i first saw yours with it folded the though occured to me:
    How did Oz break that? Lol
    Mikbur andTex: love those snow pictures. Makes me glad to be where im at lol.
    Banssheerune: finally the odd post.
    Love to all you guys
    Until later.
    Oldbear

Chief n Mike excellent ride reports! Those river photas remind me ofaryland.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, sorry to hear you are visiting the hospital again Old Bear hope you are freed soon. Yes the little Brompton is a piece of art, one size fits all and at nearly 6'3 and 90 plus kilos I must look a little silly riding it

Chief and Mike you seem to be coping some major temp swings, great to see you are still making it out for some rides.

I find my motivation to ride at a very low ebb at the moment. The very hot weather has not helped, but its also something else. Having use of my sons car at the moment to get to work has allowed me an easy out in that regard.

But the thought of riding on the roads at the moment has me thinking twice. As I spent the morning reading on the web, I when back to the ABC Australian news sight to see that a cyclist was run down by a truck and killed near Canberra this morning. The photo shows the road had plenty of room, and I have driven it many times and their is no reason for this to have happened, and now one of us is gone and a family's life is changed for ever.

I know I will feel like getting out on the roads again, but at the moment that little voice is tell me to take things slow.

I am planning to ride either my Fat Bike or sons F/S bike on the trails at home this afternoon, just letting the over night rain dry out. That might be most of my riding, off-road for awhile.

Anyway have a great weekend all.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not much off road riding here. Trails are way too wet. I did get the Mayor build out for a shakedown run and to bed the brakes. Everything seems to be working great. The fit is spot on although I may take out a spacer and drop the bars slightly. Ill wait till I get it out on the trails to make a final decsion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    oldbear - Thank you for the comments, and please get well soon.

Rippin da fAt
    Terry, glad to hear the Mayor is on two wheels... Dump a little water over the brakes and go out, get some speed, use the brakes a bit harder than you normally would, they'll be bedded in expediently.

Fred, your idea of Club Med is not how it's done!

Frankly, I spoke with Fred a couple times this week. He's in good spirit and sounds like improvement is on tap. Prayin for ya, Fred...

Chief, blue bikes do look good! Glad you got the Mrs. hooked and both of ya are getting out for rides together and inspiring one another. How kewl is that??

OZ, either way, get out and take in some bike time! On road or off, it's always a good time.
    Beware of blind drivers, once that sheet of glass is in front of em, they cannot see a bloody thing, let alone a bloke on a bike. :/

Tex, it sure is good to see snow between those treads!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    On my way home now. Can't wait to go for a ride! A week without is hard now, but the cruise was delightful ... so fun that I've already booked for next year.

I'll put up a gallery in a couple of days. Lots of photos.

Home late tonight. Minneapolis-St Paul is pretty cold. San Jose will seem almost tropical...

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, thanks Banshee I did go for ride on Sunday. I took my sons Stumpjumper up to the local mountain bike park. Because I don't ride techie trails often these days my skill level has gone way south, and it was Antarctic to begin with

I hardly ever ride an complete lap of this place as I cannot flow through the rocky sections that often lead into little pinch climbs. That was the case on Sunday so I took myself in to a jump section they have built to practise a little. They are table top jumps, so they are nice and easy, after twenty or so minutes I even managed a little air which is very rare for me.

I then headed down to a section of berms to have a play.

Fat Biking and health-img_0116.jpg

After a few run throughs I was pushing the speed up and feeling good, right up until the moment my front wheel slid out, I managed to get my foot down to save the slide and decided to call it a day whilst I still had all of my skin

I only rode twenty odd kms, but boy can I feel it today. My normal road rides are much longer and I feel fine the next day. So I might need to work a few more park rides into my week.

Not until I put my sons bike into the shop first, the brakes are in need of a bleed badly. I hope that will fix them because compared to the Shimano brakes I run on my bikes the Sram's felt terrible.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Old bear, looking forward to hearing about you back on the wheels.
    Oz, that looks like fun. Roller coaster with no seat belts! I am traveling to Michigan hoping to ride the similar place. Of course I won't be in shorts, that's for sure.

The freezing weather here finally hardened up the trails and everyone was there to ride. I ran across my friend Steve who was just wrapping up some trail work who had ridden his fat bike. So he rode with me the rest of the trail. Frost heave had left the piles of oak leaves in a frozen latticework above the hardened ground. This made for a crunchy, collapsing riding surface and high rolling resistance.Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Fat tires were the tool of the day. We passed a lot of guys on skinnies including one guy who I know is faster than Steve and I. We were floating on the crunch while everyone else sank in. I finally am feeling close to my pre-flu self.

Later that evening, a perfect snow started to fall, so I headed back to the park and rode the other trail.
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg
    The weather whiplash returns to central Ohio today. Snow will be gone and trails a mess by Tuesday. In Michigan it looks like there's a chance for some colder temps to keep the trails open. Fingers crossed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    0800 hours, 2 degrees above zero.

Name:	100_3239.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	519.2 KB 
ID:	1235916

Name:	100_3272.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	464.1 KB 
ID:	1235917

Name:	100_3285.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	1235918

Name:	100_3284.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	553.6 KB 
ID:	1235919

Name:	100_3300.jpg 
Size:	592.6 KB 
ID:	1235920

Name:	100_3321.jpg 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	1235921

Name:	100_3340.jpg 
Size:	539.0 KB 
ID:	1235922

A look back at my summertime 2018 run up the D&R and D&L towpath canal system; when running under the shade of trees was a welcome relief from the 90 degree plus mid-summer heat. Just to remind those of us in the winter cold that it will warm up again one day.......
    Mike: Those pictures are great as usual. The one of the bridge has peaked my interest. Are the pilings from an older rr bridge?

I am home and recovering. Having to start a course of z-max antibiotics is my recovery meds. Cuts into beer time thoufh. Lol..

Can't ride quite yet. Maybe by the weekend. Hoping to get out to Graham Nature Preserve to explore some costal swamps. Its a bit warmer today and unfortunately 90% chance of precipitation. So I'm stuck indoors.

Until later
    Oldbear

Surly, Tex, Chief: Nice pics and ride reports. Surly: As you are fatigued by the non-stop weather, I think us folks here in the eastern part of the US are about done with the winter cold, snow and dreary days.

G: Safe travels back home.

Old Bear: That is the Bulls Island Pedestrian Bridge, aka the Lumberville (PA)-Raven Rocks (NJ) Bridge. It is a suspension bridge built from the surviving abutments that served to hold up a long ago covered toll bridge for cars. One of those river floods took out the covered bridge. This one was built in 1947 by John A Roebling and Son's, Trenton NJ. Roebling the elder has his handywork up and down the river, from the upstate Delaware River suspension bridge at Lackawaxen, PA (it kinda served as a model for his later Brooklyn Bridge), a car suspension bridge over the Delaware at Riegelsville, PA.....down to his Trenton Works Plant in Trenton as well as the small village of Roebling, NJ (my hometown). We take great pride in the Roebling family and their accomplishments in building this country!

Roebling's Delaware Aquaduct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roebli...aware_Aqueduct

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo!

Arrived back in Silly Valley at 1am Monday morning. Yesterday spent all day getting things in order again, no time for a ride but I did get a good walk in. 487 photos now in my processing queue to choose from, process, etc.

It was a great trip, truly a blast. So good I've booked next year's trip already.

Today will be cool, temps in the low 50F range. I'll ride.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Hidee ho!

Cabin fever is setting in. Lol. Doc says i can do 'short rides' starting Saturday. My chest has cleared but I'm still built in reverse. ( my nose runs and my feet smell). The plants and trees here have spread pollen everywhere, which is about a month early.

Mike thanks for filling me in. Those abutments are cool.

Oz. Mate, get out n ride. Lol

Chief, I am looking forva trainer now. There's a few on our local market place. Mostly Schwinn Areodynes. Maybe look into getting an actual trainer and a cheap fixie. Just change the bars and crank it up. Lol

Tex, now that the 'vortex' has passed maybe you can get more saddle time.

Mikkbur: Loved all those pics. Keep on posting.

Terry66 i hope you're breaking that Mayor in.

Bansheerune: All I can say is yup.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Weather today was a chilly 50F, but it's supposed to rain for the next three-four days so I didn't care one wit. Pulled on my gear and went out.

It was sooo nice to be on my bike again.

---
    It wasn't much of a ride to tell tales about. Just a fast fast jog around my usual loop with a stop for a light lunch down in San Jose. But a signal event has happened...

The grumpy little thing in my right hip and thigh that was irritating me the week before I left for the cruise, and for the first day on the cruise, was i think a bit of scar tissue right next to the femoral nerve in the muscle tissues along my hip and thigh. Perhaps a few of the nerve endings that have been dead so long have regenerated and were finding their way ... All I know is that for a week I'd get a little zing like an electric spark and then all the muscles surrounding the hip joint would spasm. This happened time after time. It hurt like hell but I gritted my teeth and pushed through it, over and over again.

Well, it's gone. For the first time in 20 some years, there is NO pain in my hip and thigh now: I can lift and move the leg smoothly and without any feeling of an incipient spasm or a hitch. When I did my exercises this morning, I noticed that it was no strain at all. On the bike, I can muster 90 rpm cadence now for ten minutes at least without a hint of pain or stress. I made it over the rail overpass without even downshifting.

It felt so good I nearly wept out loud.

It's been three years+ of hard work to reach this point since the hip replacement, and I'm sure there are more hills to climb yet. But I'm getting where I want to be. My legs are now really strongI danced with the boyz on the ship for three or four hours every night of the tripand my weight has dipped down to 245 for the first time since 1997. I can feel things happening with muscle and metabolism in this old body that haven't been there for a long, long time. I will not stop until I get to where I was before the hip, disease, and stress tried to kill me. I will fight every inch of the way there if I have to. There is truly nothing else that matters.

12.8 miles, 12.3 mph average speed. Heart steady as a rock. Home again and not even sweated up yet. The rain started drizzling down outside.

Life is great.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    2 days of snow, sleet and now finally rain. Can't wait for the week to move on and I get a 50 degree day or 2 to get outside.
    This evening I attended a meeting of a group that has dedicated itself to teaching people CPR. I'm volunteering to become a CPR trainer including AED. I'll pay for my teaching certification and will end up teaching a class once a month. This was started by a young lady that my wife and I coached in softball back in our younger years. She is presently a nurse at John Hopkins in Baltimore. A friend of hers passed away due to heart attack. She and her friends are looking to train as many people in our town in CPR and AED use as possible.
    We will be starting with bar and restaurant employees, Little League baseball coaches and staff and the local midget football coaches and staff. Plus we have set a goal to have the local graduating high school class of 2020 all to be trained. We are also trying to raise money to place AED's in as many restaurants as possible.
    Ambitious yes, but a worthy goal. Our group is called "Clocktower CPR Initiative". Wish us luck.

Something to keep me occupied and get me out of the house.

mtbr member
    Chief: That's really good that you're becoming a CPR trainer. I have often wanted to take a class. But I just couldn't find a class. Maybe this Spring.

We had a nice quiet day here in Roberstsdale Alabama my hometown. Where the men are handsome the women pretty and the children above average. (Sorry Garrison)
    Had to air up the tires on both.bikes. seems a week of inactivity the presta valves seem
    leak a bit. Lol
    Looked at some new tires again for young bear. Looked at some Schwabbel maybe for his birthday.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Ramarran, glad you are back on the bike. Chief, that is pretty cool. Bear, there are good deals out there, the late snows means the shops have more inventory

I headed to Northern Indiana and Michigan this week but an ice storm came through and coated everything. Most surfaces arent walkable much less rideable without studs. I dont have studded tires. So hopefully a wet snow comes and sticks to the ice today, something to take the glaze off the ice

mtbr member
    Well, the wet snow did its job. I got my Michigan ride this week.
    Fat Biking and health-3bd1f9ef-06cd-49d0-bb6e-70f74c3cb029.jpg

mtbr member
    63 degrees today ....... I HAD to get out, in shorts. It was SO nice. Lil windy on the ride back home, the canal was muddy but all in all a great day to ride.
    The canal is being repaired at Haines Rd. finally.
    Looking north
    Attachment 1238297

Down in Bristol the canal still had ice on it. It's in a shaded area with trees on both sides.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 5 Days Ago at 06:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Well, the wet snow did its job. I got my Michigan ride this week.

Name:	3BD1F9EF-06CD-49D0-BB6E-70F74C3CB029.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	381.7 KB 
ID:	1238103
    where is this. I ride West Michigan!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Are you lost? You're in west MI evidently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    63 degrees today ....... I HAD to get out, in shorts. It was SO nice. Lil windy on the ride back home, the canal was muddy but all in all a great day to ride.
    The canal is being repaired at Haines Rd. finally.
    Looking north
    Attachment 1238297

Down in Bristol the canal still had ice on it. It's in a shaded area with trees on both sides.
    I know the feeling. It's been pretty much relentless rain here the past few days, since Tuesday afternoon, and I'm itching for a ride. I'm hoping there are some spaces between showers today so I can get out there...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Couldn't stand it... I saw a break in the rain this morning, pulled on my gear, and headed out for my Saturday Morning Ride to visit with the boyz and have breakfast in San Jose.

The roads were very wet and it was chilly (about 45F when I started out). My long fleece riding pants do a good job of keeping me warm, however, and my overshirt does a good job too. Had a nice stripe of water and road grit up my back by the time I arrived at the restaurant. Fenders would be nice for weather like this.

Felt great to be out for a ride regardless.

The rain came and went several times while we enjoyed breakfast and chatter at the restaurant. Finally I saw a break in the clouds in the direction I needed to go so I got my gear back on and took off for home. Almost made it before the next wave caught me, only got a little wetter than I already was.

I continue to be amazed and delighted by these Duro Fleetwood tires. With now 2,600 miles on them, they grip nicely wet or dry and continue to work extremely well. I found I needed to 'clear' the disks of water when stopping ... A few moments light application of the brakes and they hauled me down as fast as ever, no matter how wet they got.

The bike was a gritty, filthy, wet mess when I pulled into my building. A half hour out in the hall with a couple of rags took care of it before wheeling it into the living room and its stand. I put a drop of oil on the cycle lock's combination cylinder and rotated the wheels around a few times to dispel the water that'd gotten into that too.

And then a nice hot shower...

Fun ride. 11.8 miles, 12 mph average.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    G, you're so right about the pants. Since your recommendation I purchased a pair and my legs are fine when I ride with them. Today my chest was cold riding into the wind with the bike speed and the breeze but I got it done. My wife cranks on her Specialized Roll and makes me work on the Fuse to stay with her at times. It's fun to have her out riding with me. I can't wait to build some mileage and get her out for 20 miles.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone!
    Just a quick 8n and out .
    Rode 6 miles today. Sure is great to be out on two wheels.
    Rode the railbed trail and visited my favorite thrift store. Chatred with tbe owner a bit.
    Well at 2:40 I'm headed to sleep.
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good Stuff, oldbear!

Chief:

I like these long cycle pants so much that I decided to try Aero Tech Design's "all day" version as well. It has the better pad, same as the "all day" cycle shorts, and both safety highlights and external web pockets (again, like the shorts). I also saw that they have a very nice looking soft-shell water and wind proof jacket and decided to try that too. My regular 'grab n go' winter jacket is really nice, but it's going to be too heavy and warm in just a few weeks, I have nothing else a little lighter that fits any more, and if this works it will be fine for cycling as well as poking about on foot and in the car.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-multisport-softshell-cold-weather-cycling-jacket.html

I've been very pleased with Aero Tech Design products so far, and they're good on returns and exchanges too. Anything that helps me ride longer and work out more effectively is worth my time to investigate and (occasionally) buy.

I'm getting very into this fitness game now. Just arranged an appointment with a local facility that came highly recommended... A trainer, equipment to work out with, etc. It's a quick ten minute bicycle ride there too, very convenient.

When all you have to do is work on making your life better by becoming healthier, it's easy to go for it.

onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Now that G's been riding bikes and has become an addict, a gym, a trainer? Holy moly!

Good stuff, G, ya done well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Now that G's been riding bikes and has become an addict, a gym, a trainer? Holy moly!

Good stuff, G, ya done well.
    Just remember The Notebooks of Lazarus Long: "Everything to excess. Moderation is for monks."

oh yes, latest weigh-in says I'm just at 245 lbs now. That's 70 lbs under where I was when I started this program. My goal is now set to 200 lbs by December. It'll feel great!

G
    Last edited by ramarren; 3 Days Ago at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Just remember The Notebooks of Lazarus Long: "Everything to excess. Moderation is for monks."

oh yes, latest weigh-in says I'm just at 245 lbs now. That's 70 lbs under where I was when I started this program. My goal is now set to 200 lbs by December. It'll feel great!

G
    Hey all!!

It's eay tonight for me. Its 9:20 CST in Alabama and temp is 70f. Nice weather too. Didnt ride today but tomorrow its gonnabe 61 and i promised my eelf to ride.

G i always seem to forget you in my comments. You are an example of what I started this thread for. A 70 pound weight loss!! Keep it up. I am at 229 and going down. My dependence on Isulin is now nill. Blood sugar is aound 109 average. FB&H..yup .

I'm considering upgrading the brakes on Blue. Just have to find reasonably. Price hydraulics. Maybe Shimano. Just gotta research a bit.

Well me n the boyz are just chillin..
    Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thank you! It'll be 120 lbs weight loss when I'm done. I'm determined to hit my college graduation weight, and better fitness.

I put a set of TRP Slate4 brake calipers and levers on FCC. Four piston calipers, differentially sized... Love them. A bit pricey but they work a treat. On the other hand, I have the Shimano two-piston calipers and levers I took off; could give you an excellent deal on them.

---
    No ride today. Although it was mostly clear and sunny, static temperature was 51F but lots of wind. Wind chill made it feel like under 40F. I figured I'd let it go for the day, took a walk instead. Tomorrow I have a visit to SLO scheduled, so back at it on Tuesday.

onwards!

G

No riding since last ride report from mucky muddy towpath trails and salted roadways. Crap weather and continued muddy ground means not much desire to go out and sling mud and salt all over the bike again. Rain and wet morning today, more snow and rain on Wednesday. We're in like a two year pattern of rainy weather patterns. We're lucky to have escaped the heavy snow fall of recent years, but it still is early yet to call winter done for this year.....

Guess I'll just wipe down the bike of the dirt and mud on the bike and think of the warm days to come

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    DTE Foundation Trail, its really good. Of course this week I am headed to Mexico. Hopefully can get back home to ride Thursday

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    No riding since last ride report from mucky muddy towpath trails and salted roadways. Crap weather and continued muddy ground means not much desire to go out and sling mud and salt all over the bike again. Rain and wet morning today, more snow and rain on Wednesday. We're in like a two year pattern of rainy weather patterns. We're lucky to have escaped the heavy snow fall of recent years, but it still is early yet to call winter done for this year.....

Guess I'll just wipe down the bike of the dirt and mud on the bike and think of the warm days to come
    Mike, I'll take the snow, you can have the mud!
    Mud season will be here soon enough and desert rides will be in order.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone seems most of us are between rides at the moment.

I had today off and the temp was uncomfortable by nine am, and a cool southerly change has just arrived bringing Thunderstorms. So I missed a ride opportunity, but the forecast is looking good for Thursday so I hope to ride then.

G thats good weight loss, nice and steady so you should be able to continue the downward trend and keep it off. I hear you on the gym sessions, in the three months I have been working out regularly its really changed my body makeup. I was 87 kilos (192 pounds) and have moved up to 92 kilos (202 pounds). I have lost around an inch and a half off my waist measurement too. My gym at work added some Battle ropes last week and I have changed my work out to include them. I believe they will help me shift the last of the tummy fat that I would like to move.

I am not lifting weights as such just following my workouts on the Pilates Reformer machine and a rowing machine. I get a bit of ribbing for not lifting weights but its not about "being big" for me just toning up and having usable muscle size. I can already feel the extra weight when riding my bikes up hills, but my power is better too. So I don't mind and my posture is better and my neck and back pain I was getting is much reduced.

Its all about being as mobile as possible in the future for me. We make financial plans for retirement so we should invest in our bodies too.

Also G, I had to go into one of our more popular mega electrical stores to get a cord for our TV and found a Sony 100 mm F2.8 Macro lens for $348 OZ dollars around $250 US. Brand new and over a thousand dollars cheaper than retail. That was a bargain too good to miss

Anyway hope you are seeing the coming Spring and your riding days will return.

OZ.
    Last edited by Surly in OZ; 1 Day Ago at 04:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's a great deal, OZ! Good for you!

Thanks for the support! I made a mess of my body, indirectly through stress, distraction, and neglect, more directly through disease. I should have paid more attention and acted earlier when it was happening, but I didn't. Damage was done, I'll never get entirely past that, but I accept my responsibility for the mess. I'll work every moment of my life from now on to keep myself as healthy and fit as I can, there is nothing else as important to me.

I will get back to my just-after-college weight and I'll be far fitter, to the limits of these old bones, than I was then. I may even get to look good in a jockstrap again ... but even if I don't, I'll be strong and happy, comfortable with myself.

I actually need to bulk up a bit. Losing all the weight has consequences in terms of how well the skin can recover and saggy skin not only looks terrible but also is a breeding ground for fungus and infection. Bulking up your musculature a bit helps the skin fit better and gives it a chance to regain its elasticity and 'shrink to fit' properly. Never mind that the boyz like it...

---
    Yesterday was a mite chilly but sunny and beautiful out. I had a lunch planned with an old buddy from work days, so I rode a familiar route to Cupertino and back, about 16 miles. My average speeds are creeping up, and I don't get tired on that short a ride now. What a difference from the first rides I did in the Fall of 2016, when going three miles put me out for half a day ... even with electric assist!

Life is good! Onwards!
    G

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 20606667686970