Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596566676869
Results 6,801 to 6,899 of 6899
    Fat Biking & Health Rider
    G: Thank you! And an encouraging word to heal up. Always enjoy your ride reports from California.

As well as you too, Surly In Oz; heal up soon. So I looked up this Red Belly Black Snake. It seems the least lethal of the things just lurking off trail on your rides, though he has a powerful enough bite to ruin your week. Kinda sad to read it's numbers are declining as the human population goes up & the numbers of it's favorite food, frogs, drops.

Well, one more time, our region has been deluged with heavy rainfall, causing road flooding, complete saturation of over saturated fields and grounds. Every roadside ditch was over flowing this afternoon. We've had enough rain for what seems to be 1 year.

Should be an outstanding spring and summer for mosquitos and weed growth!

mtbr member
    Hello guys, while some of you have dialed back the rides for health reasons, I was strictly on vacation. Visiting family, friends and traveling to my son's sporting event. Several days traveling with no bike , but it was nice to catch up with so many people over the days surrounding Christmas.

I arrived home tonight and decided to take a night ride around the neighborhood. Tonight's 15 mile ride was windy, unseasonably warm, but still cold (40 degrees). It's amazing how fast rust forms after taking time off (and eating holiday meals). The end of the ride brought me by the township water towerFat Biking and health-img_4350.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone greetings from a very warm Australia. The last weeks heat is continuing you really need to be inside off the bike by ten o'clock or you will be in danger of heat stroke. Coming back from the gym this morning I passed a few riders heading for home, and they were getting cooked. I will need to be out early tomorrow to beat the heat.

Mike yes a Red Belly snake won't kill you just make you feel a bit off and maybe need to have your arm or leg removed, so no real problem Still when you nearly step on one at the side of the trail its black shiny body is a guaranteed fright moment.

If you want to see a real beautiful bike, google up Bryn Atkinson custom snake bike, some piece of art.

Tex I will meet you in the middle of our temps, and we will both be happy.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Agreed Oz, if we could average things out, it would be pretty nice. We lost another 10 degrees F. Cleveland (about 2 hours North) is getting lake effect snow. We are just getting gray cold weather. But I decided to take a ride anyway. It is getting dark at about 5pm, so my 3:45 start meant about 1/3 of my ride was in the dark. I have a few more days off work. I am going to try to get a lot of miles in before I go back. It has been 80%-90% paved riding because the rain has left any trail a complete mess and it hasn't been warm enough to dry out. We need a deep freeze. Today was a 20 miler to the lake and back across Lewis Center to the Library.Fat Biking and health-image-7.jpg
    As I rode across the dam I saw 3 sizable whitetail deer on the downstream side of the dam. They were extremely skittish and started to walk back to the woods once I stopped to take a picture, even though I was a 100 yards away. Fat Biking and health-image-6.jpg
    The lake was pretty calm, there were a few guys out on boats looking for Sauger and Muskie. Fat Biking and health-image-8.jpg
    The bike path bridge over US23 is a huge truss bridge they installed 2 years ago. I am not sure how much use it is getting, but I use it pretty regularly, by the time I reached the bridge it was getting dark.
    Fat Biking and health-image-5.jpg
    Hopefully laying down the miles and getting back on the eating program will help me shed a few more pounds. I definitely went the wrong direction over the holidays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Well, my PT worked on my side yesterday and did a lovely job of it, really helped a lot. I felt great.

This morning, as I was pulling on my cold weather cycle pants, I reached down to snug the zipper on my left leg ... and something went spoing! in my lower left side. Didn't seem like much, until I got half way to breakfast. Then it started to hurt like hell, and was a misery the rest of the way there and all the way home.

An Advil tamed it down a bit. I rested for a while, had to do my shopping, then went into the dry sauna when I returned. Some deep muscle balm after that and it's tolerable now, if not great. Yech.

---
    I left on this morning's ride in the coldest weather I've gone out in yet, 37F. But I had my new Light Fleece Long Cycling Pants with Padding to test out ... and boy do they work! I was toasty warm all the way (...and they were even more comfortable than the leg warmers I used last weekend), despite the misery of what was happening in my lower back. Very nice and not horrendously expensive.

Anyway, the ride went well despite the back problem. About 16 miles ... it was up to 50F on the way back, so my over-sweater came off and went into the tailbag.

Now I just gotta get this tetchy thing to heal up. Probably take the day off to rest tomorrow. Whee.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, no riding today as it was too hot and I had a late night yesterday.

Tex I would love to swap its been over a week of hot dry weather and we have more over the next few days. We normally get a few days in a row of this type of heat, however high pressure systems have been blocking any cool air moving up from the south. Still after dinner in Newcastle with friends last night we took a walk along the harbour out onto Nobbys beach. Normally you would need a light jumper to handle the cool sea breeze, not this week and many people were out enjoying the relief from the daytime heat.

It has been so hot and dry through the day even the birds have gone into hiding. Normally we have different types of birds singing or calling all day, not this week. Seems very strange to be outside with total silence, even our bird bath is only visited early in the morning and late in the day.

With tomorrows forecast the same I will see how I feel when I wake up and decided on a ride or a trip to the gym.

And seeing as that will be New Years Eve down here I would like to wish you and your family all the best for 2019 and thank you for sharing your journeys here with me.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Ram, have you tried acupuncture? I did it a couple years ago and had my back sorted out in two visits. I was extremely skeptical, but my mother and wife (both nurses) insisted I try it. The practitioner's explanation of how it works sounded like nonsense, but nonetheless I felt like a new man. It improved my situation to the point I can generally manage with stretching, core work and the occasional ibuprofen.

Oz, your hot weather sounds similar to our coldest days. Everything is silent except for wind. The difference is, I can add clothes to maintain a comfortable temperature. You can't do that with heat. Hopefully you get a break soon

Ride Report: 6000 miles

Nice reports from G, Surly and Tex. Surly: Yep, I know those high heat days that put great stress on our environment about us; our birds, wildlife, people and plant life. When at night, the expected cool down never comes; setting up the next day to be hotter yet. Like a giant heat sink. It's the memory of days like that which make me appreciate our 4 seasons here. Tex: Nice local pictures of your ride. Have you kept count of how many miles ridden in 2018? G: Seems like the pulls and strains always come in these colder days we find ourselves in at winter. But it sounds like you have a great gameplan there in place getting yourself healed up.

Today's Ride Report was yet one more run up to Bordentown then the Lock 1 towpath to Duck Island, then back again. But this time, keeping in mind the heavy, heavy rain fall we got from Thursday into Friday, I avoided the Crystal Lake Park bypass route and stayed on the local asphalt roadways leading up into Fieldsboro, NJ, then into Bordentown.

Fat Biking and health-100_3683.jpg
    Northbound, above the I-295 overpass on the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath.

Fat Biking and health-100_3684.jpg
    Heading homeward, having turned around at the D&R Duck Island main gate entrance; now back on the Lock 1 pedestrian bridge over the Lock 1 lock chamber. 5999 miles on the odometer.

Fat Biking and health-100_3687.jpg
    Bordentown, NJ. 6000 miles since putting this bike in service back in Late March/April of 2017. Aside from flat tires; absolutely no issues with the Yamaha drive system or battery. No issue with the bike or it's components for that matter, either. Completely sold on Haibike; just a first class, top tier bike that delivered day in-day out for me. Snow, summer heat, rain and searing sun. It just flat out works.

The tubeless tire project now behind me (and a complete success); the next project on the horizon is going to a rear rack; ditching the bike packing style rear seat bag set up. This will allow use of rear panniers; making this bike a true front/rear pannier touring style bike.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Ram, have you tried acupuncture? I did it a couple years ago and had my back sorted out in two visits. I was extremely skeptical, but my mother and wife (both nurses) insisted I try it. The practitioner's explanation of how it works sounded like nonsense, but nonetheless I felt like a new man. It improved my situation to the point I can generally manage with stretching, core work and the occasional ibuprofen. ...
    I used acupressure for many years ... the therapist, a friend of another friend whom I met at a party in the middle nineties ... is a double-pHD physicist from Stanford University who became interested in this work about the beginning of the 'nineties and has been doing, and developing the theory of, acupressure therapy for many years now. She is a goddess. She kept we walking without pain for fifteen years past when the UCSF Medical Center assured me that I'd need a hip replacement.

Unfortunately for me, she decided to move to southern NJ about a decade ago. I've flown there several times for treatment, and it was worth it.

I haven't found anyone local now even remotely as good at it as she is, but I've had both acupressure and acupuncture folks work on me at various times since. Also a Rolfer. They all have their value.

G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Nice reports from G, Surly and Tex. Surly: Yep, I know those high heat days that put great stress on our environment about us; our birds, wildlife, people and plant life. When at night, the expected cool down never comes; setting up the next day to be hotter yet. Like a giant heat sink. It's the memory of days like that which make me appreciate our 4 seasons here. Tex: Nice local pictures of your ride. Have you kept count of how many miles ridden in 2018? .
    I did: 1765, assuming I don't get a few more in tomorrow.
    I took another one today. It is amazing how different the weather was by the time I got around the lake. Clouds were blowing in with the sunset.
    Facing East from the West side
    Fat Biking and health-file1-3.jpg
    and facing West from the East
    Fat Biking and health-file-4.jpg

Nice shots, reminds me of my own ride last week where the weather went from crystal blue skies to cloudy as a front moved in from the west; all done in the time it took me to complete 4 miles on the trail.

Congrats on those miles completed, well done!

mtbr member
    Man you guys have me itching to get outside and ride. I've done a few minutes in the basement on the trainer since the illness. I still have a slightly sore throat and don't want to push things and you guys are making it rough with the outside rides.
    GREAT job.

G, what make are the pants? I purchased some leg warmers but since I've been sick I haven't had the chance to try them out yet.

We're having a few friends and family over tomorrow evening for New Years. We usually go out to dinner with friends and then to one of our houses but we're staying home tomorrow night and having 12 people join us. I just finished marinating the steaks and I'll grill them tomorrow evening.

Rain tomorrow and not to cold but I'll get into the basement for a 20 minute ride there.

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to a GREAT 2019.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    G, what make are the pants? I purchased some leg warmers but since I've been sick I haven't had the chance to try them out yet.
    Happy New Year everyone. Here's to a GREAT 2019.
    I got them from Aero Tech Design, in Pittsburgh, PA. These are the ones I bought:Aero Tech Men's Stretch Fleece PADDED Cycling Tights Made in U.S.A.

I've been very pleased with all the cycling gear I've purchased from Aero Tech Designs. They have a wide range of sizes that fit actual adult male cyclists rather than the usual 22 to 26 year old youths. They're a bit limited on styles, colors, patterns, etc ... but when it comes to cycling shorts and pants, fit is all that really matters to me. (I have four jerseys, two light weight and two middle weight, all by Troy Lee Design. They have some nice patterns and colors, and I like the fit of their jerseys.)

And the same to you, and everyone else: Have an excellent New Years! All the best for the year to come!

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Thank you all for making me crazy to get outside to ride. My wife and I got out this morning for a lil ride. It felt so good. 60 degrees here in SE Penna and windy but it felt SO good.
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_dfa.jpeg
Views: 386
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_dfe.jpeg
Views: 371
Size:  101.3 KB
    And the river was a tad high from all the rain.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    I had to insert them, copy them back to my photos, rotate them and then re-insert them. Geez what happened to just inserting them?
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    LOL! I just stand on my head and enjoy them.

Happy New Year to all'y'all!

That sproinged muscle in my lower back felt much better this morning, after two days of no exercise and no ride to let it rest, to the point where I did my exercises this morning and it doesn't hurt at all. I think the hour in the sauna really helped it heal ... I'm going to do that again later on today. If it keeps up like this, I'll ride tomorrow.

I've finalized my New Years resolutions/goals now. I keep it short, simple, and achievable: there's a particular piece of music I want to learn to play on the piano, and an idea for a photo book I want to publish has finally settled into something that I feel comfortable with. That's enough to work on, with the usual continuing of my riding, exercise, movie obsessions, etc.

This is the piano piece: https://youtu.be/mTwoMGCtPT8
    It will be a challenge!

Onwards, ever onwards!

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

They look fine here "Down Under" Chief...

Fixed that for you Chief

Fat Biking and health-img_1102.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_1105.jpg

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New Years day ride.

Hi everyone and a Happy New year to you all.

We ended up staying home on New Years eve as after two weeks of very hot weather thunder storms and rain rolled in from early afternoon. Although I was up a 1 am to pick one of my sons and his girlfriend up from a party.

I woke up New Years day hoping that the rain had cooled things down, but sadly it was not to be. The clouds were heading out to sea and the temps already rising. So I drove to the gym to do my Pilates workout and planned to ride latter in the day.

Well it never really cooled down and I was going to wait until after sunset to ride, however the good wife was not keen on that idea. So I gave myself about two hours before sunset and rode my sons road bike to ride the Fernleigh Track. As this is mostly a tunnel of trees now and close to the coast I hoped it would be cooler than my local mountain bike trails that face west and don't catch a sea breeze.

And thats how it was, much cooler on the track and riding a fast bike had me covering 35 kms in an hour and twenty minutes. And I made it back to the lake shore in time to watch the Sun set too.

Fat Biking and health-img_0082.jpg

So a great first ride for 2019 hope for many more, and for you too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Attachment 1231889OZ, I hope that heat breaks for you soon. Thanks for spinning us back into the northern hemisphere. How did you fix them. I tried spinning the original and re-inserting but it didn't work and I couldn't delete the pic's on the post.

Tex mex some beautiful pic's there. Very nice.

G, glad the back is feeling better, I was looking at my log from last year at this time and I was having issues. Some stretching is due this evening. I see the cardiologist next week and I'm hoping to be able resume my core workouts and get into some more of my off season stuff.

Mike, great report and pic's as usual.

I got out of work today with the purpose of riding and it worked. It wasn't to bad, 41 degrees and a slight breeze. I got in a few. I'm going to try something new this year. I did a little geo-caching in the past and I got back into it. I think it's going to get me riding in places I haven't before. I got a few today right in my hometown. Has anyone else tried it?
    My attire this evening.
    Fat Biking and health-unadjustednonraw_thumb_50e4.jpg

Name:  fullsizeoutput_df8.jpeg
Views: 365
Size:  81.4 KB

My wife had a co-worker drop yesterday. The long man that found him did CPR and got his heart beating again and the medics transported him to the hospital. The kid that found him and resuscitated him is a mess. I tried to explain to him that it is an emotional and traumatic thing to go through. Russ (the guy that dropped) is an old friend of my wife's, she's not taking it to well. He coded again today, he's in renal failure and has an infection in his lungs from aspirating vomit into them. Plus when they tried to install a pacemaker he coded again. Please say a few prayers for Russ while you talking to the big guy please.

Have a good evening all.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief I just copied them to IPhoto and turned them, seems to work most times.

Hope your wife's co-worker pulls through and the young fella too.

Hopefully down here we are getting a few days reprieve from the heat over Sunday and Monday. You are definitely over dressed for riding down under Chief

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey Chief!

Sorry to hear of those folks' problems. I hope the man who fell recovers well and quickly, and I hope the young guy who was traumatized gets over it quickly. I know what that feels like, but I won't delve into those stories: they're still able to affect me too much, even thirty years later.

We must pick our emotional battles wisely. !!

You look good in your cold weather outfit.

My back and side are much much better and I'm fit to ride, but the past couple of days have been a bit of a nightmare; there's been no time to ride at all. Stupid stuff too: without getting into the whole long boring story, it seems a couple of days ago some work was done by the power company or by one of the communications service providers in the 'power room' here in our condo complex. What I experienced was that half the circuits in our condo (the one that the high voltage/high amperage appliances are on and the one that services all the plugs in our kitchen, bath, and half the living room) became cross-connected and weird. I thought some power surge had killed $3500 worth of appliances and there was a danger of fire behind the walls. A full day and a half of calling electricians and trying to get someone in to check the wiring ... In the end, one of my friends' sons is an electrician in the construction business and he offered to come take a look at the mess. After ripping the panel out of the wall and testing a couple of circuits, we went to the power room and he discovered that the double-bus master breakers for our unit had been "half" opened. Closing that half of the circuit properly restored all function to normal, and none of the appliances suffered any damage. It was probably an accident by whomever was working in the room because our bus breakers just happen to be right at knee height at the very end of the panel, because we're the first unit at the end of the first floor in the building. There's rarely any activity in the room at that point, but they were running a new fiber optic line in the corner beyond the power line, I think, and someone tapped it with their knee, likely with kneelers on so they didn't feel anything.

Anyway, it was a bit of a fright and a mess trying to sort out. I'm very grateful to my friend's son, Andy, who spent a couple hours of his time to figure this out and saved us a bunch of cash (and more time!) just to get the electricians and power company in the door. Neither we nor the building manager had ever seen anything like this happen before, and we've been here for almost a decade now. The behavior of the electrics in the condo had become very very weird ... like, switching on the high voltage power to the baseboard heater in the living turned on the christmas decoration window lights in the bedroom on the 110V line and powered up the refrigerator in the kitchen! Truly a bit of a mind blower.

All over now. Today I ride, and life returns to what passes for normal. Temps are supposed to peak just under 60F around 1pm so I might not even need my fleece cycling pants!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Best wishes for your friend, Chief

I have been getting a lot of non-singletrack miles lately. When I first started riding I would ride mostly trails. Ohio set records for rainfall in 2018, so the number of trail closed days has been correspondingly high. I prefer Trail rides, but have really noticed health and strength improvements by not letting weather be an excuse. Signing up for a race (I should just call it an event, as the word "race" implies speed which I do not have) has given additional motivation to put in miles. I find that the rides I am not in the mood to start riding almost always end with me being happy I did. Last night was no exception.

mtbr member
    I got out again this evening, it was a cloudy, chilly 41 at the end of my ride. Slow and steady right now.
    Doc visit went well for me today. I visit the cardio doc on Tuesday and hoping to get the release to get back to my old workout and add new to it. Fingers crossed.
    Russ ( the guy that dropped) wasn't doing well, yesterday and this morning. Kidney failure, unconscious, fractured ribs from the CPR. My wife got a call and he's awake and talking. That is a GREAT sign.
    The young man that did the CPR got to see and talk with him today.
    Things are headed the right way. Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers.

Have a great weekend. Rain all day tomorrow here. Mike will love it. LOL

Well, Thursday was my 3 year Cardiac stress test and thankfully, all appears to be quite well. Felt a bit under the weather afterwards; but the weather was a crappy gray day with the feel of snow in it. Good stiff wind as well. No riding since the last report, here.

My parts keep showing up via the US Postal service for my soon-to-be Old Man Mountain rear rack project. Today's goody was a Robert Axle Project rear axle to fit my 197mm rear on the Haibike.

OMM by mistake sent me the wrong rack stands that mount up to the axle when I placed my order for a front rack fitted for the Rock Shox Bluto fork; so I found these aluminum feet or stands will fit perfect for the rear rack project. Just have to do a little drilling of the parts to accomodate the Robert Axle end peices. All will be shown in a photographic essay here when I get all my "ducks in a row" as they say.

A great side benefit of the Robert Axle Project rear axle is that I can eventually fit a BOB trailer onto the Haibike. Just a matter of procuring the proper BOB bobbins to screw into the axle and then the bike is BOB trailer ready. Of course, the rear rack would have to be removed, but that would be a simple job in itself.

Chief: Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers and best wishes for a full recovery.

Mike

mtbr member
    We got out for a ride this morning a breezy 7+ just around town. We saw a few riders out. SO much better than the trainer in the basement. You do what you have to right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Weather locally has one storm passing through since yesterday until this evening, and another following in on Wednesday. So I finally got out for my First Ride of 2019 on Friday, 04 JAN ... rather late in the day, after I got caught up on all the stuff that was deferred because of the electrical hell of the previous two days. And haven't been out riding since.

BUT ... It was a fine ride! I managed to get out the door about an hour before sunset. It was about 57F when I left but, thinking how fast it cools down after the sun goes down, I pulled on my new light fleece, long cycle pants and made sure my overshirt was in the saddle bag just in case. I did an extended version of my usual loop and headed to Caffe Frascati in downtown San Jose for a cup of coffee and a little pastry. Had fun joking with the barista there ... a pleasant young guy who I think would make a nice subject for some photos and an interview for a book project I've begun work on. I'll give him a brief next time I see him and see if he's interested.

Since I'd had the nice pastry, I had to burn it off. So didn't retrace my path back home the shortish way but looped up through Japan Town, back south through the park again, and finally back to my more usual loop for the rest of the way. The sun went down at 17:05 and temperatures dropped quickly from about 60 to about 51F ... but the fleece cycle pants kept me toasty warm and comfortable, didn't need the extra shirt. All in all, a 14+ mile ride.

My cardiologist had told me on my last visit that he didn't need to see the readings from my portable ECG anymore for the present, so I unsubscribed from the service. But I have been doing my traces every week or two and saving them for my records anyway. One thing I'm pretty delighted with is that the ventricular arythmia that had shown up last Summer and scared me is now totally absent for the past dozen weeks or so. The doc told me it was completely benign, but I'm really glad to see it gone. Just like some issues with muscle soreness and joint pain that have come and gone since my hip replacement, I have to chalk it up to the fact that I'm continuing to change my body with every ride and every workout session and Things Change when you do that. Have to say I feel really good, beginning to feel fit the same way I remember feeling fit in the middle 1980s. Can't see anything wrong with that!

It looks like my Sumo ebike may be going to a new home soon. A friend contacted me, interested in it, because she wants to get started on her fitness and also do some commuting as well. She'll be by to test ride it tomorrow. I'm happy to see it go to a good home with one of my friends: it's a great bike and deserves to be used more than I have time to now. All my riding has been on FCC since the middle of April at this point. Never mind that I could stand getting the space back in the condo ...

The weather should be clear tomorrow and Tuesday before the next front arrives, and you can bet that I'll be out riding.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpgIt is good to see good health and ride reports coming in. Yesterday I saw on the Cleveland area MTB club page that the Mohican State Park trails were in good shape. So I made a game day decision to go check it out. The trail is absolutely beautiful and extremely challenging (both technically and elevation). The loop takes you from the bottom to the top of the Clear Fork Gorge (a few times). You earn some great views of the valley below. Lots of other riders were out there too, I had the only fat bike.

Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    I read that the trail was 20 miles, but in fact it is 25. Needless to say the climbs on the last 5 miles were especially challenging. Two years ago I would have been unable to complete the first 25 minute climb, much less completed the whole trail.But I also learned I have a lot more room to improve.

Tex: Some really nice elevation shots there; must have been quite a ride. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Tex that looks a fantastic place to ride your bike, and riding up hills is not the most fun times on a bike but will get you fit quick.

No riding for me this week so far, the heat wave finally broke on Saturday night and Sunday was a lovely cool morning. We spent the day in Sydney visiting the Art Gallery of N.S.W and catching up with friends. It was cool and misting with rain yesterday and the dramatic change in temps has given me a slight head cold. Its warm this morning with thunderstorms forecast for this afternoon. I might sneak a ride in before them hopefully.

I have mentioned that I have been using a Pilates reformer machine the last few months, and I cannot believe the difference it has made to my fitness. Its added muscle size and tone everywhere, but of more benefit it has improved my mobility. The stiffness in my lower back has become almost a thing of the past and my posture is much better and the neck pain that I get from driving all day has reduced. Hands down one of the best things I have done for my body. If you are looking for an off the bike workout I cannot recommend it enough.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Hey everybody! The bear is just waking up from hibernation. Sorry its been awhile since I posted but we just went through the "Holidays" and to be frank all of us have had a really tough time of it. Mama bear's passing made a huge hole in all our lives. So the "holidays" were kinda empty.

Ok enough of that.

I watched a video of some retro electric bikes. They sure were cool. But the cheapest one was $2900. They sure brought back some memories of my 21 Henderson.

I am saving up for a 2019 GBEM 5x. I haven't decided which one yet, but it most likely willbe the 899 hardtail. The thing about them is that they come with Shimano hydraulic brakes and fhe groupo is Sram Gx. On the 2019 five x the rear spacing is now 197. And they come with 4.8" "BigDaddy" tires.

Any way thanks everyone for keeping our little thread alive

Until Later.
    Oldbear, Cubby and Youngbear.
    "
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Hey Bear, glad to see you checking in. That bike looks pretty good for the price, that's for sure. I've been considering an upgrade as well, but I keep going back to the fact my biggest limitation isn't the bike, it's the rider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo oldbear! Good to see you post.

Yes, the holidays present a hurdle when you've lost someone dear. 2018 was a record year for me when it comes to friends, family, and family of friends passing away and I found myself with a lump in my throat quite often. It was ameliorated by the sheer joy and exuberance of a couple of young boys, my neighbor's children, who made us cookies and hand-written cards, and for whom my partner and I had the most fun time making toy cars for.

Fat Biking and health-181224-xdaytoy-029.jpg
    Peter's Speeder - Christmas 2018

The love and joy they gave to us so innocently and so freely heals a lot of pain and loss. May you and your family find the peace and comfort you need too.

---
    Monday was a ride day, but it was also a day crowded with a long list of other stuff to do. I ploughed through the list and was finally done about 4pm. A little late for a ride at this time of year, only an hour before sunset, but temps were running nice, about 61F, and I was itching to ride. So on with my gear and out the door I went.

I was definitely in a "just want to ride and ride" kind of mood. I carried one of my Polaroid cameras but didn't stop to make any photos. It was a "do the usual loop" kind of day, and I did it fast and hard ... it felt great to be breathing hard and working myself. I stopped finally at one of my local cafe hangouts, said hi to a few of the regulars there that I know, and had fun joking with the barista for a bit.

The Polaroid camera I had with me is one of those that was custom modified by a company in Hong Kong for manual exposure control. I'd loaded some faster than normal film in it, used my iPhone as a light meter, and made a quick snap of FCC through the cafe window while I was sipping my coffee and before the sun went down.

Fat Biking and health-img_2373.jpg
    At Hanchett Park - San Jose 2019

FCC ended up with just over 2300 miles on the clock at the end of 2018. It is as perfect a bike as I'll ever need for my riding. I won't say I'll never buy another, but I really love riding this Fatboy Comp Carbon so much!

By the time I left the cafe, the sun had been past the horizon by a half hour, so I fitted my brighter headlight and set off towards home. I took the slightly longer leg of the usual loop back, still enjoying pushing hard and all the endorphins that pumped up. I've come to like riding in the twilight hour a lot as long as the temperatures are comfortable, and it stayed dry all the way back although I could smell the rain coming.

It was a fine ride, all of it, and allowed me to get lost in the riding and meditate freely. Perhaps today there'll be a window of opportunity again.

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    MAN it got cold here in the east.

Tuesday the cardiac electrophysiologist gave me complete clearance. I'm good to go. I asked a few questions about workouts I might be trying and I'm free and clear. So happy and glad to be able to cut it loose again. I can start back on my core workouts and more stretching.

Next Russ has been released from the hospital and is in rehab and bothering my with for stuff. That's all good.

Gonna need some of Oz's heat to be able to get outside anytime soon to ride. They are calling for snow over the weekend. I don't think they are sure on how much yet. Nothing I can do about it. I will try to get the Fuse out in it though.

I have a friend up from the south so I visit with him this evening after some trainer riding in the base and some needed core work.

mtbr member
    Chief, you were cleared just in time for old man winter to show up with a vengeance. We were hit with a cold snap here as well. Low 20s, and intermittent snow showers. It was enough to freeze up the trails and color them white. So I was able to get my first snow ride of 2019. When the snow was falling, it was so hard that my lights were getting partially covered and giving me hot spots in the light pattern.

Fat Biking and health-img_4417.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4418.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4416.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice, looking forward to getting a chance at it this weekend.

mtbr member
    A couple more shots from home the following day. Fat Biking and health-img_4425.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4422.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	460.5 KB 
ID:	1232965

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quite unexpectedly, Thursday went from chilly and cloudy damp to warm and sunny. I arrived home from my doctor appointment and put the car away, pulled on my gear, pulled out a backpack and stuffed a bunch of things into it, and headed out again for my lunch appointment.

Again in a fast mood: I'm cranking along up the hill to Cupertino and glance down at the GPS computer, I'm doing 15 mph uphill at 83 rpm cadence. I'd sent the usual txt to my buddy there when I left the house with an ETA of about 40 minutes on. I made it to our meetup point in 28. Woo hoo!

It felt really good to be on the bike.

Had a great lunch, conversation ranged over the entire map from books to photography, to philosophy, to movies ... Cameron is a good friend and once-was coworker, then manager, then he worked for me for a short time. We have a lot of history and share the enjoyment of many different things.

I decided to take the longer route home, mostly because it lets me practice going up and over the highway via the curvy spiral ramp and bridge. I really enjoy that little bit of the ride. Coming back to Santa Clara is mostly straight, mostly downhill, and mostly good roads on this route ... I fair flew down the road, glancing down at the GPS I was cranking along in top gear at 19-21 mph a good bit of the way. I made most of the lights without missing a beat on the pedals: the endorphin rush was coming on strong! Temperatures were rising too, my super-comfy stretch fleece cycle pants were getting a bit too warm. Definitely in the zone and digging it.

UP and over the bridge: I almost have it down. There's one very very tight switchback on the ramp that I'm still a little insecure about but the rest of it goes without a hitch. I pilot my way around the shopping center and realize, "Hmm: It's near to 3:00. Perhaps I should run down into San Jose and have a cup of coffee." So I split east and zipped up behind the high school, which was just letting out. Chaos of parents, students, bicycles, traffic crossing guards, et al. Rather than go around and through that, I nipped down a side street that I'd never ridden before and wiggled along out of the rush and melee, found that it hooked up with a known street that took me straight to Peet's on The Alameda. Nice! I'll use that route again another time.

A cuppa, one photo of the art on the wall outside the cafe, and another fast jaunt home, arriving just before 4pm. What a fine ride! 19.5 miles, 12.6 mph average. Felt just great.

Cycle Art on Wall - San Jose 2018
    Polaroid SLR670m by MiNT
    Polaroid Originals SX-70 Color

Okay, Winter weather: bring on your worst now!

onwards!
    G

Wednesday Ride Report....

After the 96 hour rain deluge event, it stopped raining on Wednesday, a high pressure front kicking that crap outta here. Problem is, the wind was a coldish west northwest wind going anywhere from 10 gusting up to 30 plus mph. What better time then to go for a 20 plus mile ride, on asphalt, from Homebase down to Burlington City and back? Pictures are scant as I thought it best to keep control of the handlebars.

Really. Going down Broad Street in Burlington, I decided to stand up on the pedals and stretch out a bit, just in time passing through a side street open to the Delaware River. A big gust of wind caught me off guard and in a seconds time, nearly ripped the handlebars from my grip; crashing me. Lucky for me, it did not. That was about the excitement report for the day; right there.

The wind has a way of acting like a wind tunnel along the river no matter where you go.

Fat Biking and health-100_3697.jpg
    Pretty much on my turnaround point back to home, here, on the Burlington riverfront, just north of the Burlington Bristol Bridge, in front of the private school Doane Academy. Old Glory standing up straight in front of the west wind ripping across from Pennsylvania. The thing with our fatbikes are how the wind can make the big tires act like sails; really acting on the tire when a gust comes up. The temp is about 40 degrees.

Fat Biking and health-100_3698.jpg
    As we all know, 1 dimensional pics don't tell the story. Here at Roebling, NJ, looking south on the Delaware River shoreline at the lapping waves created by the west wind. Not long ago from when I snapped this photo, the river was creating 2-3 foot waves from a long fetch of river run from the south at Tullytown to here. When the west wind goes up against an outgoing tide; it can get downright nasty in this particular stretch of river. Then, come a hazy, hot and humid day in July, the river is smooth as glass and warm as bath water.....

Fat Biking and health-100_3695.jpg
    Meanwhile at home, Honey has the right idea. Warmed by the fireplace; it's nap time while some foole idiot is out pedaling a bicycle in the middle of gale winds!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice, Mike! Honey seems far more sensible then us big pink monkeys, eh?

Another good looking day out there today! What happened to the front that was supposed to be here? I'll boogie on the bicycle again!!

G

G: I'll tell ya, she uses me in her diabolical plans to get as many cookies, rawhide bones and walks as her heart desires! In the back of my mind, I'd love to incorporate her on my rides, with some kind of trailer. Only problem are the roads I ride on to get to my trail up north. This is something I need to kick around more in my mind on how to pull it off.

This new Robert Axle Project rear axle I picked up for me rear rack project is easily changed over to accept a bobbin on both ends for a Bob Trailer, so the options are there. The trick is to figure how to acclimate her to being secured on the trailer so there is no possibility of jumping off in traffic, or getting distracted by whatever Beagles are easily distracted with.

Fat Biking and health-204cdaef-9f71-4b87-b3b7-dbadb07ac67e.jpg
    From a few weeks old.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2656-4-.jpg
    To about 4-5 months old.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3696.jpg
    To just a couple weeks ago. Charles M Schulz pretty much summed it up correctly when he wrote "Happiness is a warm beagle!"

Uh oh, snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Let's see if we can squeeze in a ride report before the expected 1-2 inches of pure hell falls from the skies!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Day off!

Had the day off work and got about 20 km (12 miles) in. Conditions were cool but good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-hardwood-hills.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice trail and ride. My limit is about 20 miles on my Farley. Those conditions look just right. Where is it located?

mtbr member
    Mike great report and pic's. It was tough here this week with the wind. You were right across the river again, we will get together one of these days. A little warmer though. This weather makes me plan rides with wind direction and ferocity. I tuck into the canal and the paths at the lake as much as possible to minimize the wind push on the bike. The sideways wind in the wind tunnels (building lined streets) of the area make you pay attention. Especially with the 20 to 30 mph gusts we were having.

G, I ordered a pair of the tights, they arrived yesterday. They fit great, I had to try them right. Looking forward to getting out and giving them a shot. Thanks for the heads up.

Snow tonight, we're only supposed to get a dusting ....... You never know. Hopefully the wind dies down after the storm passes and I can give it a shot outside tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Go EAGLES.

mtbr member
    Good to see ride reports coming in and that the weather didn't take out Mike.

A former colleague and friend received a mountain bike as a birthday gift from his wife in 2017. He is like I was, very out of shape (I am not in great shape now but miles ahead of where I was and where he is). He never really rode his bike until recently, I started taking him to the beginner trail near my house and now he is riding on his own.

Yesterday we rode the beginner trail together. He's doing a lot better and I can see the start of good things. More importantly so does he, so he's motivated to stick with it. After we finished the beginner loop, he went home and I went on to finish on the intermediate trail. The snow had melted in the sun but the trails were still frozen enough to ride on the fat bike.Fat Biking and health-img_4430.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4438.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4434.jpg

mtbr member
    texmex, you gotta get him in here next. It will help. We're all building fitness it's what happens when you find how much fun you can have.
    Good job by the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Very nice trail and ride. My limit is about 20 miles on my Farley. Those conditions look just right. Where is it located?
    North of Barrie, Ontario, Canada at Hardwood Hills Ski and Bike.

I wish I had taken some photos of the snowshoe trail. It was narrower and windy-er.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    texmex, you gotta get him in here next. It will help. We're all building fitness it's what happens when you find how much fun you can have.
    Good job by the way.
    Yes, Chief, I agree - it is a fun way to get some exercise, even in the winter! I am about 3 years back into riding as my way to be more healthy.

mtbr member
    Spent the morning helping the club clearing fallen trees from the trails, then went for a ride as the snow fell. My friend had stuff going on with his kids so he didn't ride
    Fat Biking and health-img_4458.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4457.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4456.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4455.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4447.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4446.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, great to see you despite the cold weather getting some rides in. Tex again that looks great to ride in when I am sitting somewhere warm

Mike, Honey looks like me for most of the last two weeks, hiding inside in my case avoiding the heat. I had a 50 odd km ride this morning and had a nice cool wind blowing from the south. Made the ride into town great with a tail wind, I was not looking forward to the ride back home but luckily I found a few guy's to ride with and share the wind blocking duties. We rode as a pace line for 20 km and the biggest and strongest guy left us with 5 km to go I was expecting to be left at the front when I guy we had passed earlier came to the front. I let him take a turn and he pushed the pace up over 30km an hour into a 30 km plus head wind. Now this guy had to be in his mid to late seventies and was a real inspiration. Even up the last little hill were I normally pass guys I had to sit behind him as he was so strong. At the end of the track he sat up and I rolled along side to thank him for the tow and he hardly seemed out of breath. A real life example for me to use it or loose it.

I will hit the gym tomorrow morning and Chief I will settle down to watch the Eagles hopefully have a great game.

OZ.

Surly in Oz: That sounds like a great ride. We should be so lucky as your friend pace setting the line for you guys, to be that strong a rider in our 70's. Hope the heat you've been experiencing starts to ease off as summer there begins to give way.

TexMex: Some terrific snow shots there, thanks for sharing. Looking out the window right now and it looks like 3/4 of an inch may have fell....the first snowfall of the 2018/19 winter. The roads were pre-treated with salt and brine 3 days ago anticipating this event; yes, our roadcrews in the past year or so have gone overboard pretreating the roads; likely a result of not being prepared when the real snow events went down in this area.

You mentioned trail maintenance and I've mentioned it here before; but if you haven't, I highly recommend the Silky Japanese hand saws. They make incredible quick and easy work of trees and branches. Here's a pick of one of mine; it folds up nicely and makes a small enough footprint that it's easily carried on the bike:
    Fat Biking and health-100_2645.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_2646.jpg
    Silky BigBoy. Sharp as a razor, so one cannot make the error of being careless around it!

Fat Biking and health-100_2625.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_2626.jpg
    Harbor Freight makes a nice, smaller version of the Silky. Under 10 bucks, so one doesn't have to fear hitting dirt or a rock with the teeth while trail brushing. Not as razor sharp, but all in all, a great bargain.

mtbr member
    Mike, I did pick up one of those saws, and I carry it almost every ride. Yesterday's work required bigger equipment. We had two 24" diameter ash trees already across the trail and one 30 inch dead tree that was giving way and leaning on a much smaller live growth, it was going to fall across a bridge we built. Fortunately one of our club members knows how to bring down trees safely and has the tools (come along, 28" Stihl, wedges, chains and anything else you can think of). It's funny that most the people riding by won't notice how much work gets done. They see the bridges we built but that is only half the time we spend keeping trails open. The beginner loop and skills Park logged over 2000 volunteer hours in 2018.

Fantastic volunteer work going on your trails, Tex! On my rides up to Lock 1, that D&R trail is maintained by the state of NJ; though I kinda took matters in my own hands last winter with a smaller tree that was downed right across the towpath. Good fun sawing away in winter temps!

I often contemplate how to take out some of those downed trees for firewood use. No way to get a vehicle on these paths as it's closed off to motor vehicle use. Sometimes I often contemplate moving some of these logs out peice by peice via a bob trailer and my trusty japanese saws....thinking.....thinking....!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Mike yep I hope to be that strong and riding when I hit my 70's.

Funny I was saying to my son yesterday that you have a couple of really nice hand saws. He was watching a review on youtube, looking to add one to his toolbox. The heat is back this week and its supposed to worse than a few weeks ago. We have been planning to visit friends in Canberra so hopefully the heat will pass by next Monday.

Tex all power to the trail builders, so much given by so few.

Too bad about the Eagles Chief, I watched the second half and they hardly had the ball, tough to win against anyone let alone the Saints without it, next year

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice to see some rides going on all over the place! I was enjoying the notion of clearing brush ... Not something I see much need for around here, the local and state park management folks seem to be on the ball most of the time and keep the more countryside trails sites nicely ridable. Road pavement, on the other hand, is stressed a lot around here because of the traffic load it's bearing these days.

I was treated to good riding weather on both Saturday and Sunday and made 17 and 14 mile jaunts, after the showers on Friday that curtailed riding after a short 7 mile lunch sprint. Really lucky to get such warmth and good sun at this time of year! Both those rides were variations on my daily loop, with the Saturday ride going an extra loop through Japan Town and downtown San Jose just for the joy of it.

It's now socked into another front around here for the next four days, with a good bit of rain likely every day until Thursday evening. I'll take whatever decent weather affords...

Time to do some clean up and maintenance on FCC. Roads were wet when I left on Saturday morning and there's a good bit of mud and muck spattered all over the frame. It wouldn't do to ride a dirty bike to the cafe, eh?

onwards!
    G

G: I pretty much wipe my bike down after each ride. I just hate a dirtied up bike. Plus there is the side benefit of spotting issues popping up as you wipe her down; just keeping an eye on the bike. Best to catch those issues at home then somewhere on the trail!

Surly In Oz: What got me interested in these Japanese saws were the Japanese hand saws I read about by a small, ultralite boat builder in Vermont by the name of Tom Hill. His canoes made of 6mm marine ply weigh about 20 pounds or so. He was one of the first american boat builders who utilized the Japanese back saw to make his cuts. I became aware of him and his boat building by way of WoodenBoat Magazine, back in 1985 or so. Nowadays, one can go to any of our Big Box Home Improvement Stores to pick up a Japanese style back saw in the tool department, made by some american toolmaker. I'm impressed by Japanese blade technology, figuring they have had several thousand years of refinement!

I cut firewood to help heat the home in winter. Every year it seemed with this new gasoline formulation featuring 15% alcohol has resulted in carb issues with the chain saws. Just reached the point where it would be nice to just grab a handsaw and be done with it rather then spend 15 minutes hand starting a chain saw in the cold because the alcohol melted some internal fuel lines that one cannot see without taking the entire saw apart.

Last year I picked up the Mother of the Silky saw collection, a 500mm blade that folds into the handle called the KatanaBoy. Link: Silky KATANABOY, 500mm ( XL Teeth ) | Silky Saws

That one requires two hands and just a light stroking motion to let the razor sharp teeth do their thing. This one however is a bit too big to take along on my rides!

mtbr member
    Mike, try the premix chainsaw fuel in a can at Home Depot. It is expensive, but less than a carb rebuild on a good chainsaw. Mine starts right up with the stuff, even after sitting weeks on end.

Mike, try the premix chainsaw fuel in a can at Home Depot. It is expensive, but less than a carb rebuild on a good chainsaw. Mine starts right up with the stuff, even after sitting weeks on end.
    TexMex: Funny you mention that, I was looking at what Lowes had on the shelf last Friday. They've got fuels for 4 strokes, 2 stroke mixes at 40:1 and 50:1. You are definitely onto something; last spring, I bought a new Stihl weed whacker and picked up a gallon of their branded MotoMix gas. Gallon can of this pre-mix stuff went for near...... 50 dollars. But would you believe that gallon can took me all of the spring, summer and into the fall and I still have a quart or so of it left in the can? 2 year shelf life after opening the can; high test at 93 octane; alcohol-free and a smell to it unlike your standard gas station unleaded mixed with your favorite 2 stroke oil. Despite that crazy price, I'll pick up another gallon of it come spring.

A heads up for anyone in need of tires: just got my email from universal cycles and they have Schwalbes on sale......looking at a Jumbo Jim 4.4 or 4.8 snake skin tle tires at $66.99 per tire!

mtbr member
    Hi everybody!
    Got out Sunday and explored southward on an old railroad bed. The old Louisville and Nashville line. Rode down about 6 miles of it. It's flat as a pancake and a good workout. Explored a bit on pavement into a sleepy little town of Greenwood. And SLEEPY it is. When it was in it's hayday it was an active agricultural town.
    All total I rode about 24 miles.

On the health front, the weight is still coming off. 234 now. My diabetes is a thing of the past too. No more needles. Just 500mg of metformin a day.

I have decided to upgrade my rear derailluer. Goint to go to a SRAM GX. The stock 7 is nice but i need something a bit newer
    Until later
    Oldbear

Outstanding weight loss, Old Bear! And quite an accomplishment beating diabetes. Long live our fatbikes!

As you know, I like our railroads. Any chance of some pictures the next time you ride the old L&N line?

mtbr member
    Hey strangers. Been wild busy lately, but still getting out weekly on the fatty. I'll post a pic or two shortly.

Cool winter pics, Tex!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

DH: Great to hear from you! Looking forward to your ride reports and pics...

Well, today was another 21 miler from Homebase to Burlington City, NJ and back. 100% asphalt riding; avoiding the ice and snow melt patches from Saturday/Sunday's 1 inch snowfall. Cold temps here have kept alot of the snow around, despite bright sunshine.

Lotsa salt residue on the roadways as well; the roads department doubled down on dumping salt on the roads prior to the snow over the weekend.

30 degrees temp, give or take, with a northwest wind on the way back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Mike "thats not a folding saw, Thats a folding saw" The Silky is one impressive bit of kit, I am sure you could make a holster for it on the bike

Hey our temps are in the high 30's too, celsius that is. That means another day of avoiding being out side most of the day. Still could be worse as large parts of the state are getting temps in the mid to high 40 dec C. The riders at the Tour Downunder in Adelaide are having to ride in the midday temps. I am about to watch a little of the race, beats staying up late to watch the races in Europe later in the year.

DH great to see you back and still riding, must be a good time of year to ride in your neck of the woods.

OB good to hear that your health is on the improve, long my it continue.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Holy crap that is hot,Oz. Good to hear from you DH. Bear, great progress. I am stuck in Indiana this week and Canada next with a schedule that won't support much riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, stuck in Canada sound pretty good to me

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Not a ride day yesterday or today ... fairly persistent rain and lots of wind. Although I wish I had ridden to the train last night for my dinner outing: traffic was so bad that two busses missed their schedule and I needed to take the next train, etc etc. I'll know better next time.

But ... I was sitting there yesterday with the new Polaroid camera that just arrived and looked at my bike ...hmm, an opportunity for some still life shots. I liked this one:

Enjoy
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    oldbear, Sounds like a good ride and a great time. It's only been a day or so and I'm already feeling a little stir crazy from not being on the bike. It's pouring out there right now...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    On the health front, the weight is still coming off. 234 now. My diabetes is a thing of the past too. No more needles. Just 500mg of metformin a day.
    Great stuff! Congratulations! You inspire.

G

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Canada next with a schedule that won't support much riding.
    Msg me if it looks like you will have time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    Msg me if it looks like you will have time!
    Will do, Thursday afternoon is likely the only day I'll have open.

mtbr member
    Well my dumb ass did it again.

Our favorite Italian restaurant has Italian night the third Wednesday of the month. We've been going for a few months now. Food is so good and so fresh. You never know what your dining on until Bob (owner & friend) reads off the menu for the evening. Last night Tuscan night.We were dining and getting low on wine. We usually call my son to run us another bottle but we had time. I asked a waitress if I had 10 minutes until the entree came out. She said yes. I grabbed my jacket and headed for the door. I got outside and started to jog towards my Jeep, I needed to cross the street, as I jogged towards the corner I looked to see if any cars were coming, as I looked up I stepped into a depression just off the concrete sidewalk. It was bricks around a tree. I went down .... HARD. I landed on my hands, shoulder and ribs.
    Holy crap that happened fast. Ribs are very sore today, shoulder and upper back too. Sneezes are an adventure.
    I got the wine and got back to dinner. I shared wine with quite a few people at the dinner. No riding today. I've been hitting the trainer everyday. I guess a few days off are now going to happen.

Fat Biking and health-6fwgxu9jqhq5f0-boqi10a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-n1jmrgpvspgcr3vrbeypmw.jpg

Fat Biking and health-tbppvfhnrpef7igst9hnrq.jpg

Fat Biking and health-1n25sxgmqhcjctx9k4mmlq.jpg

A few days off and then back at it. Snow tonight into tomorrow, then snow & rain Saturday into Sunday and then the deep freeze.
    Be well everyone and pay attention to where you're going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    CHIEF! You be more careful! Ouch, that hurts just to hear about it.

Do heal up quick. See if you can get some guidance to add exercises targeted to improve core and hip control muscles. Cycling by itself does not suffice to work on these muscles... some additional exercises are essential.

A lot of my PT exercise regimen is designed to build and tone the hip flexors and rotators. That helps eliminate the fear of falling and improves my ability to walk on poor, uneven surfaces. I had my share of falls a some years back when my body was spiraling down towards incapacitation. One of them in particular nearly destroyed my knees, took over a year for them to heal up. I've learned this is a critical part of improving my fitness, so I now concentrate a good bit of effort on developing and toning these muscles. It helps solve back pain and leg fatigue issues as well.

---
    No rides yesterday ... rained all day again. Today is a good possibility.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Chief, most people fall down AFTER the wine. Seriously, hope you feel better quick.

Rode in Northern Indiana this week, Potato Creek State Park and Bonneyville Fat Biking and health-img_4461.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_4464.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Chief dinner was going great until you decided to go for a jog life lesson never jog! Hope you heal up fast.

G thats my reason for including pilates workouts, all the reading I do on staying fit in old age say we must include muscle building work. Since I have been regular with my workouts over the last few months I had added muscle size and definition, but more importantly my posture is much better and back pain is reduced too. I use a rowing machine as well and have found that really has helped with my power on the bike.

Having an indoor workout option has been very handy the last few weeks as this heat just won't go away.

G or anyone else watch any of the 2019 Dakar Rally highlights the last ten day's? The motorbikes were great to watch and the scenery of Peru was outstanding. The sand dunes are some of the most specular landscapes I have ever scene. Well worth a catch up on Youtube if you have time. Oz local boy Toby Price won the bikes for a second time with a badly damaged wrist.

Have a great weekend all.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex great photos, looks like just enough snow to make it fun and not a slog.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Feeling better today, thanks for the well wishes. I rode the trainer today after work. Still a little sore but feeling a lot better. Some stretching, awful light right now the ribs are tender.
    The cold and dampness stopped me from getting outside for a ride today. Snow changing to ice and then rain for tomorrow. Better than the all snow then forecasted earlier in the week.
    I hope everyone has a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    G thats my reason for including pilates workouts, all the reading I do on staying fit in old age say we must include muscle building work. Since I have been regular with my workouts over the last few months I had added muscle size and definition, but more importantly my posture is much better and back pain is reduced too. I use a rowing machine as well and have found that really has helped with my power on the bike.

Having an indoor workout option has been very handy the last few weeks as this heat just won't go away.

G or anyone else watch any of the 2019 Dakar Rally highlights the last ten day's? The motorbikes were great to watch and the scenery of Peru was outstanding. The sand dunes are some of the most specular landscapes I have ever scene. Well worth a catch up on Youtube if you have time. Oz local boy Toby Price won the bikes for a second time with a badly damaged wrist.
    I'm looking at a local fitness center that's been recommended for some additional training. When I looked up pilates trainers in the area here, none of them appealed to me ... They were all focused on female customers and the way they marketed their offerings just put me off. This local fitness center includes some pilates instruction offerings so perhaps I'll give it a try if I get involved with them.

Unfortunately, I haven't any live access to the Paris-Dakar racing. It would have been fun to see that. Of course, it's amusing to think of the Paris-Dakar and Peru in the same sentence, but such is the modern world. I'll look it up on YouTube.

I remembered the other day that I hadn't yet watched the 2018 GP Moto3 and Moto2 season closers in Valencia, so I watched Moto3 yesterday. Seeing young Can Oncu, riding his first*ever GP race, ride a flawless race so brilliantly, be the first ever GP winner for his home country (Turkey) AND be the youngest rider ever to win a GP since the modern series began in 1947 (Can is only just fifteen and a half years old!) nearly brought me to tears. What an amazing achievement for such a young man! Such talent! He's made racing history, I can't wait to see how his career develops!

---
    The weather relented today: a lovely light sunny day, mid-60F temps. Had to ride. From home through the long loop and down to Japan Town for a spot of lunch. From there into downtown San Jose for coffee at Caffe Frascati. Then a nice long route back home for a total of 15 miles @ 11.6 mph average. Felt so good. Took a detour through the river park down a mostly slick and muddy trail, which was a giggle: bike wiggling all over the place under me; had to wash it off when I arrived home. I made a few photos with the Polaroid SLR670x too.

A darn good day.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, whilst you are on YouTube look up John Gary TV for pilates workouts. He has plenty of easy to follow workouts and a great style of presentation. I have followed his workouts for the last 12 weeks and found great gains. He really knows his stuff, I get plenty of stick from the hard core weight lifters at my gym at work for using the "ladies" reformer machine, but the proof is in the results I have had in a short period of time.

Onto Moto GP matters my eldest son has joined a streaming sport service that will let me watch all the Moto GP practice and races in all classes this year, so I am looking forward to that. Still watching the riders in the Dakar and seeing the pain that Toby Price put himself through win is great viewing.

Chief glad to hear that you are not hurt too badly, take it easy.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks OZ! I'll look those up.

---
    Today was even warmer and sunnier than yesterday, and time for my Saturday Morning Ride. Did another variation on the same loop I rode yesterday, with a nice stop at the usual eatery with the boyz for breakfast and chat, and without the stop for coffee in downtown. Ran about 18 miles this time, including another long slide through some slippery mud on the river trail to keep entertained. FCC is so predictable on this stuff, it's a pleasure. It was a bit chilly when I left home but I knew the temps were going up so I wore my overpants rather than the long cycle pants ... the latter would be too warm. The overpants came off when I got to the breakfast meetup.

I love it when I get "into the zone" on a ride, and I got there this morning for a time. It seems the world quiets and there's just me, my breathing, and the sound of the bicycle working. Lovely.

onwards,
    G

Nice reports from G and TexMex. Wish I could reciprocate here, but can't. The big storm heading east is due in here a few hours. High of 50 for tomorrow, high of 19 on Monday. And after that, more seasonal winter temps for January.

Chief proving once again that it's not the off road trails that take him out, but the ordinary everyday things in life; be it tumbling off one's own porch into the flowerbeds or going home to fetch a bottle of vino. Glad to hear that no harm has come to your recent surgical procedure for your heart. Please, be careful, good buddy.

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-img_4481.jpgI'm visiting family in Toledo, they are getting socked in with snow. Fortunately my brother in law is like minded.Fat Biking and health-img_4477.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4483.jpg

For snow riding, the perfect snow depth. Wonderful winter shots, TexMex!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, that looks fantastic Tex nice to have a ride buddy too.

I woke up this morning to perfect riding temps and thought about the bike I was going to ride and put the riding kit on, when out to the kitchen to fill my bottles and looked out the window to see the rain softly falling

After weeks of heat I really wanted to get out on a bike, oh well a change of clothes and off to the gym again.

Stopped at the movie theatre on the way home to buy some tickets for this afternoons session of the movie "Glass" It will be worth it just to see James McAvoy reprise his roll from "Split" and having Samuel L Jackson a bonus too.

So hopefully I will manage a ride tomorrow.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Mike I was up your way today. We made a wine run to Princeton and I went up Route 1 and got to see the north branch of the canal and the crossover for Rt 1. Then we headed down 295 towards Burlington and we were driving along the river there. I have to get together with you to learn the paths up there.
    Nothing yet weather wise, we had some snow flurries this evening. Waiting on the rain.

Mike I was up your way today. We made a wine run to Princeton and I went up Route 1 and got to see the north branch of the canal and the crossover for Rt 1. Then we headed down 295 towards Burlington and we were driving along the river there. I have to get together with you to learn the paths up there.
    Nothing yet weather wise, we had some snow flurries this evening. Waiting on the rain.
    More than happy to show ya, Chief. As I need to see the D&L Canal run from the beginning of that canal towpath at Bristol to wherever it was filled in.

River Road from the Florence/Burlington Twp border is going to be a heavy duty trucking mess as those tax-free warehouses go on-line. Not sure if I want to be pedaling there......and with it, one more bicycling alternative goes down the toilet in our little stretch of paradise here....

mtbr member
    Hey guys!

No ride today. It's windy and cold. Yup cold in Alabama. 43 with a wind chill in the low 30's. I don't have cold weather gear. It's funny, but at this time of year our normal daytime temps are usually around 60-75 degrees. And I didn't think id need a heavy coat. ,,.
    Has anyone heard from Bansheerune?
    Until later
    Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hey guys!

No ride today. It's windy and cold. Yup cold in Alabama. 43 with a wind chill in the low 30's. I don't have cold weather gear. It's funny, but at this time of year our normal daytime temps are usually around 60-75 degrees. And I didn't think id need a heavy coat. ,,.
    Has anyone heard from Bansheerune?
    Until later
    Oldbear
    @.o

Who?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

---
    No ride yesterday here either. Rain on and off all day, from light to heavy. No eclipse here either ... It was too overcast and rainy all evening long.

But it looks like the weather will relent today: I'll get a ride in. The trip I was going to make today, to visit my buddy down in San Luis Obispo, was cancelled as he's a bit under the weather right now, so I have plenty of time today to ride and work on some of my projects.

(My buddy Don just turned 94. He's a bit frail, his health has been middling okay but he gets occasional bouts of intestinal problems. His Time may come at any moment; he accepts that. I value every moment I can spend with him: He's just an amazing person with an incredibly sharp mind and a great sense of humor, a broad range of interests and knowledge ... never mind that he's one of the finest photographers and printers I've ever known. Please send good thoughts in his direction.)

onwards, ever onwards!

G

G: Warm thoughts and best wishes sent your friend Don's way. Sounds like a thoroughly decent and engaging fellow who is still in the game.

Well, the first true arctic blast arrived last night and the winds are still blowing with a vengeance. The ground all around has been frozen solid as a rock. Ultra blue clear skies. Just another 40 some odd degree change in temperature in about 24 hours. And in less then 6 months from now, it's gonna be hot and sticky like a sub-tropical sauna. Crazy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    @.o

Who?
    You!!! Lol :-))

Finally the MARMOTof the west speaks!!!

Until later Olbear

mtbr member
    I decided to start Monday morning with a ride on my home trails before I leave for the week. Short ride, second rider on very slippery powdery snow which meant a lot of slipping and sliding. 4 degrees F (-15C), it was so cold my eyelashes and eyebrows developed icicles. Not a bad way to start the week. It definitely challenges your cold weather gear strategy
    Fat Biking and health-img_4494.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4495.jpg

TexMex: Serious, life threatening cold conditions. Should any mechanical issue come up, it's gonna test a person in ways a simple on-trail repair job in the summer could never come close to touching. Respect for you getting out in this weather today; even snapping photos of the adventure!

9 pm here in the east and the wind from this arctic front 2 days ago is still blowing. I imagine the Delaware River will have some degree of icing on it after tonight.

mtbr member
    I decided to start Monday morning with a ride on my home trails before I leave for the week. Short ride, second rider on very slippery powdery snow which meant a lot of slipping and sliding. 4 degrees F (-15C), it was so cold my eyelashes and eyebrows developed icicles. Not a bad way to start the week. It definitely challenges your cold weather gear strategy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4494.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	571.2 KB 
ID:	1234545
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4495.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	1234544
    Tex y'all look cold!
    Lol

You know I read carefully the last few weeks post, and I am impressed. However, G, Mike n Chief, please try to stay healthy! Lol. Chief, i noticed that you took an off bike tumble and it looks like you have recovered

Tex, all joking aside, those snow picture are cool. Have a good week up in Canada.

Mike: When I get a decent camera I'll snap some pictures of the old ROW down here. The L&N isn't around anymore. A lot has been absorbed into the CSX.

DH...come on back home! Miss you a lot. Same for anyone lurking on the edges. We do not bite.

Oz: I really hope your weather starts cooling off. I miss those fantastic pictures. Thete is a common bird from "down under" that we used to breed. The Zebra finch. We also had Cockatiels and English budgies.

Not much riding today. My back is pitching me a fit.

Until later
    Olbear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    TexMex: Serious, life threatening cold conditions. Should any mechanical issue come up, it's gonna test a person in ways a simple on-trail repair job in the summer could never come close to touching. Respect for you getting out in this weather today; even snapping photos of the adventure!
    With this weather I stick to a loop I can shortcut out by foot if the bike breaks down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike...I had a flat on a below zero ride about a mile from the truck last winter. Made the call to keep moving and walk the bike out over a trailside repair in those temps

A few from last night. 8 degrees at ride time. Temps dropped as soon as the sun dropped below the trees.

Fat Biking and health-42dedffe-8337-4982-b4d1-e5f1a257ee03.jpg

Fat Biking and health-15d9c193-cae5-41d0-a507-a0eea9f38435.jpg

Fat Biking and health-a80731bd-6492-4df6-901f-f2e27ea1b7e6.jpg
    Last edited by Terry66; 1 Day Ago at 06:30 AM.

TexMex: Great game plan, just in case.

Terry: Great to see you back, with some outstanding ride pics to boot! And a wise decision to walk your bike back rather than attempt repair in dangerous air temps.

Have you gone tubeless on your Fatboy? If so, how did it work out for you? I went tubeless on the Haibike last fall and so far I like it; though haven't experienced a puncture yet. Eventually I'd like to get around to doing the Fatboy. If it's possible to seal on that particular rim, that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, Mike. I've known Don since he was a youngster at age 70 (about a half a decade older than I am now!): He and I hit it off with similar interests, similar attitudes, etc etc immediately within ten minutes of meeting. He, his wife and family, are just Good People; it's always a pleasure to spend time with them. I'm going to call him today and see how he's getting on, perhaps he'll feel well enough that I'll go down to visit on Friday or Monday. I don't like to let too much time slip away between visits. At his age, you never know when the battle will be razed.

---
    A 4F ride? Not for me. I'm way too much of a wimp for that.

Yesterday was middling sunny and temps were in the 57F range, but there was a stiff northerly breeze blowing that made it feel a lot colder. I went out in shorts but thought seriously about pulling on the overpants a few times. Riding a little harder warmed me up enough that I didn't need to, but it was one of those days right on the edge.

It was a short ride, around my usual loop with a stop for lunch at the Panera by the river park. Only 12 miles or so, but 11.7 mph average. I had a kinda weird feeling yesterday: I almost felt skinny for a while! I've been working on getting a few more of these atrophied muscles awake in the lower back and upper-inner thigh area with my workouts: it's having an effect. Maybe if I stop enjoying my afternoon coffee with a bit of a snack I'll actually be skinny sometime... LOL!

Speaking of avoiding cold and chilly, I'm now less than two weeks out from going on another trip. I'm taking a week-long cruise in the Caribbean with my partner for the first week of February. I was a bit reluctant but now I'm getting into it. Stops on two islands in the Bahamas and three ports in Mexico... Should be a kick! Lessee: packing four swim suits and t-shirts, sandals, camera ... not much else.

onwards, always onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Some great posts and pictures. It's been cold here in the east. A break down is serious in this kind of weather. Smart to plan ahead and limit the course so you have an out if it's needed.

Old Bear, yeah I'm working on getting better. I'm riding the trainer daily and my wife is too. I signed us up for a local race that we'll handle as a nice ride. It's in Mount Holly NJ and starts at a brewery. There are different length races with different start times for each. You can stop at the farm markets along the course and they will transport your purchase back to the start for you. I have a group of 6 and we're the Bristol Road Warriors. We're all doing the 25 mile loop.
    Last night we traded in the wife's old Jeep for a new one that matches my Fuse bike. LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Been working on the Mayor tonight. I cut the steerer tube and installed the star nut on the Mastodon. The bike will be completely assembled tomorrow. All I am waiting on is a front rotor. I thought I had a set of 180/160 rotors in the parts stash, but the front was a 185. I didn't want to use a spacer, so I had to order a 180. I still need to bleed the rear brakes. The brake line was longer than I wanted, so I shortened it a bit to give it a cleaner look.

Mike...No, I have not set up the Fatboy tubeless. I've heard the rims do not play well with the Ground Control tires. Since I am wrapping up the Mayor, I am not sure I am keeping the Fatboy and if I do, it will probably just come out for deep snow and sand. I doubt I'll bother with tubeless at this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, greeting from a much cooler OZ.

G hope you get to spend as much time as possible with Don, make an image or two with him as well.

Mike, Chief, Tex and Terry I say its much cooler here at the moment but nothing like what you guys are looking at. Its dropped from a very warm feeling 35 Dec C at lunchtime to 24 C tonight with a nice cool southerly blowing through, still I am really enjoying it.

No riding today as I finished of some major yard and garage reorganisation that I started yesterday. Off to Sydney tomorrow so hopefully the cooler weather sticks around until Friday for some ride time.

Tex I don't like getting ice cubes out of the fridge let alone having them form on my face thats next level cold, take care out in it.

Terry those trails look magical must be great fun to ride.

See you all in a few days.

OZ.

mtbr member
    The weather is bad today. So no ride. Heavy rain and wind.

My back is still hurting. I will see my osteopathic dr. He can do some adjustments plus prescribe some muscle relaxer and some Tramadol. Hurts enough to keep me awake. Slept about 5 hours last night. But the weather is supposed to improve tomorrow.

I'm looking into a trailer to pull with my fatty. I want to start shopping via fatty. The ones I'm looking at attach to the seat post. That way i can avoid messing with my rear QR
    L.
    Until later
    Oldbear.

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 19596566676869