Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
Results 6,701 to 6,766 of 6766
    Rippin da fAt
    G, I could imagine Sumo being a great bike for a long adventure, perhaps. On the bright side is what Sumo has done to help you return to doing all the work. Back when you started, the mountain seemed insurmountable, indeed. But looking at where you are now, top job, Mr.!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks!

All the things that came together which culminated in my being able to get onto a bicycle and push farther, and the ongoing work I'm doing with workouts and rides to continue the effort, has brought me a long long way from the miserable, incapacitated cripple I'd become.

Truly, thanks to the great folks here whose example and encouragement have helped so much! It has meant so much...!

onwards,
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Glad to have been part of that, G!

What is really important is the fact that you have stayed with it and are greatly enjoying the opportunity to be out there, wind in your mug and improving in many ways.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Welcome Mikbur, glad you stopped lurking and joined it. It's an easy going place.

Beautiful weather here in SE PA today. Sunny warm (55) and a light breeze. My wife and I got out for a ride this morning. It was SO enjoyable, cleared my head and got some exercise.
    I go in tomorrow for the pacemaker and am supposed to be back out Tuesday afternoon. Fingers crossed, I'll talk you you all Tuesday evening to let you know how I made out. Foot (burn) is doing very well since I started the silver sulfadiazine cream Friday. I'm taking everything with my to keep it wrapped while I'm in the hospital. I don't want any infections from there.
    Talk to everyone soon.

mtbr member
    Beach ride with the wife, playing around with stabilization filters in my editing software
    https://youtu.be/vjcrqtGZa0M

Fat Biking & Health Rider

Sunday"s Ride Report: Homebase to Yardley, PA and a check on the overnight flooding..

Mikbur: Welcome to Old Bear's Fatbiking and Health. Good to have another come on board and hope to hear of your ride and health reports.

Chief: Best thoughts and prayers sent your way. I'll be looking forward to your Ops report when you are up to it. In the meantime, the below pictures will tide you over.

Surly in Oz: Short of snow which brings out the Salt Trucks on our roads, this will be a 12 month fat biking operation or until the Good Lord says otherwise!

Wade: 24 degrees on Thanksgiving morning gave way to heavy, heavy rains on Saturday night from the South and with that, yesterday was a keeper, near 60 degrees and nice sunlight.

TexMex: Nice, nice video. One of these days, I'd love to try to video document one of these rides I do, but first I think I need to search out a second hand go-pro.

.....to cut this thing up a bit, size wise, first the particulars for this ride, then onto the pictures in the next post or two.

Sunday's Ride Report:

Destination: Homebase to Bordentown, NJ, Lock 1 Delaware and Raritan Canal, then north to Trenton, NJ, crossing the Delaware River at Morrisville, PA and onto the Delaware & Lehigh Canal system, up to Yardley, PA and the SEPTA train station.....then retracing my steps and wheel rotations back homebase.......

Haibike FullFat Six
    Battery Pct% Left: 31%
    STANDARD power setting
    Average Speed/Maximum Speed: 10.0/22.2
    Total Mileage Today: 33.1 miles
    Odometer Mileage: 5899 miles
    Estimated mileage remaining on battery charge: 13 miles
    Weather: Sunny giving way to clouds and breeze, near 60 degrees max temp at height of day, then dropping back in the second half of sunlight day.....

Notes: Heavy, heavy overnight rains has resulted in all streams in flood stage as they drain into the Delaware River.... Lots of standing water in various home yards.....

Sunday's Ride Report: Homebase to Yardley PA and back and a look at overnight rain...

Fat Biking and health-100_3585.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3586.jpg
    Crafts Creek basin in flood, outgoing tide into the Delaware River some 4 plus miles away from this spot on Old York Road. This area here is also my first (and last at ride completion) climb down and up this creek basin.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3588.jpg
    Axe Factory Road, heading north. Usually, I will cut onto the Crystal Lake Park property to get onto Route 130. But those paths onto old farm fields will be a muddy muck of a mess, so I'm avoiding that run.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3590.jpg
    Axe Factory Road, at the Spring Creek bridge. This is actually a short, severe climb out of this basin. But since I am cheating Yamaha power makes it a non issue. This creek, like Crafts Creek, drains Burlington County Farmland into the Delaware River, east to west.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3594.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3593.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3592.jpg
    On the Burlington Road, at the Bordentown/Fieldsboro border, Blacks Creek is moving at what looks to be a 5-6 miles clip on the outgoing tide into the nearby Delaware River at Bordentown. Later in the day when I pass this bridge, the tide will be in and the water level much higher than it is now. Blacks Creek is another hill climb in and out of it's basin. On this run to Lock 1, I travel up and down and over the following basins before I can get to water level running on the towpath system: Crafts Creek, Spring Creek, Blacks Creek and Crosswicks Creek.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3597.jpg
    Crosswicks Creek, taken center span on the NJ Transit Light Rail bridge. The creek is moving fast on the outgoing tide. Crosswicks Creek drains all of the baby creeks and sloughs and swamps that make up this system, a lot of miles and acreage to consider, from some 20 miles away in New Egypt to the east and to the north, at Hightstown, NJ and the surrounding areas. It really is a massive drainage system.

Sunday's Ride Report: Homebase to Yardley PA and back Pictures 2

Attachment 1226332
    Crosswicks Creek train bridge....
    Attachment 1226333
    Approaching the water holes at I-295 over the Delaware & Raritan Canal towpath. Instead of diverting the roadway drainage pipes into the adjacent canal on the right hand side & the nearby Delaware River slough on my left, the highway engineers & towpath parks administrators saw fit to just dump all of the rain water on the bridges down onto this towpath, here.Fat Biking and health-100_3601.jpg
    Soggy mess of a field and towpath, adjacent I-295 overpass, D&R Canal. This grass field and towpath will never, ever dry out until next summer, pending 100 degree days with no rain. I can guarantee that the D&R towpath over Scudders Falls or any of the overpasses on the main D&R towpath from New Brunswick down to Princeton, NJ do not have their roadways drain onto the towpath like it does here; on this little traveled part of their towpath system....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3602.jpg
    D&R towpath, past the I-295 bridges, another swampy area intruding onto the towpath. The only way to mitigate this is to fill this low spot in with cinder and stone. Over the past few years riding this path, I see this area here has really degraded badly as far as that little pool of swampy water to the left of the path.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3603.jpg
    Southbound NJ Transit River Line train heading to Camden NJ and the various small town stops along the way. At Camden, it will reverse direction and head back to Trenton.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3604.jpg
    Self Portrait(!) at RiverView office complex, Trenton, NJ....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3609.jpg
    At the foot of the Trenton Makes The World Takes bridge, Trenton, NJ and preparing to cross the Delaware into PA and the D&L canal system....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3610.jpg

Sunday's Ride Report: Into PA and the D&L Canal to Yardley, PA

Note: When my hotspot signal gets lost in the middle of making my report, pictures get lost. Apologies!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3611.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3614.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3616.jpg
    Looking upriver on the high and swift running Delaware River. Also, the high levee at Morrisville, PA, which has a riding path atop it which will take me to Calhoun Street where I will pick up the D&L Canal (D&L-Delaware and Lehigh Canals).
    Fat Biking and health-100_3617.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3618.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3619.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3620.jpg
    Working my way north to Yardley on the D&L Canal and it is very clear this area of towpath is flood prone.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3622.jpg
    Not far off the towpath is the Yardley SEPTA train station. Hoping to catch a thundering CSX freight train, (I missed the one passing by as I was approaching the bridge over the canal by minutes) I settled down for about an hour of train watching.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3631.jpg
    A SEPTA passenger train from West Trenton, NJ heading to Philadelphia,PA
    Fat Biking and health-100_3633.jpg
    Train from Philly heading to the Yardley PA train station....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3630.jpg
    Going on 2pm and the sun is starting to travel down to night fall. The temperature has started to drop and cool out, so with some 17 miles to go back to homebase, time to go. No freight trains, but maybe next time. It will be slow going back as the canals are a sloppy mess. As it turned out, I got back before 4 pm. A nice day bike riding concluded.

These pictures chronicle the way I saw it. So, thanks for coming along for the ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Very nice ride report, Mike! And some excellent photos!

---
    A good ride yesterday for me ... It was beautiful out, the sky and air so clear and sweet. I decided to just go a nice long way, because it's due to rain Tuesday through Saturday and I have no idea how much riding will be sensible.

Ended up running south to San Jose, crossing I280 via the pedestrian/cycle crossing tunnel bridge, then running west up Williams to Cupertino. Had a late lunch there.

I carried my Light L16 camera and had the RYLO 360 action cam hooked up on the handlebars... Here are a few stills taken of FCC with my big bag and action cam on it:

Then I continued up to Mary Avenue, took the Mary Avenue Cycle Bridge to cross over I280 once more. I did a fast run north on Mary, passed by my friend Jack's to see if he was home (not), and then turned east and ran down Evelyn back through to Santa Clara and home.

A nice 22-23 mile ride. I arrived home about half an hour after sunset, dusk getting thick and my high-power headlight fitted and giving me excellent illumination.

Here's a little video of the crossing over I-280 for your entertainment. No editing yet ... I've got some plans to manipulate it a bit.

onwards!
    G

Thanks, G, much appreciated!

Nice video! One of these years, I'd like to do something similar in documenting some of my rides here on the towpaths.

Just what we needed.....more rain, as I type this. LOL.

mtbr member
    Nice ride reports.
    Mike we will get a ride in, I'm off the bike until Christmas. Not allowed to do anything for a month.
    I arrived at the hospital at 6, into OR at 8, released to go home at noon, in my house by 12:30.
    Feeling good, chest is a tad tender. I'm in a sling for 24 hrs and no arm over my head for a month.
    SO now I read your rides and wish for Christmas to hurry.

Gonna be damp for a while Mike. LOL

Chief: Outstanding news! Amazing what can be done today in the medical field to get you in, the procedure done and you back home in half a day's work.

Yep, your prognosis for our ride areas look to be spot on. Both towpaths on opposite sides of the river were a spongy soggy mess. Had no idea that the D&L canal north of Morrisville can overflow, but there it was. There are a few overflow areas; one in the area just north of the Washington Crossing riverside gravesites that are very likely impassable due to the high canal water. On the way back home, a lot of homes sump pumps were working overtime, pumping water from their basement sump holes, pumping the water outside their homes, diverted on the nearby curb & roadway.

Some big snow storm out in the midwest; wondering if Wade got some of it.

Rest up, Chief. And appreciate the post-op report!

Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Mike, while the Mayor is suspected of doing snow dances in my living room over the weekend, we had a few inches on the ground. Had to play with the Mayor, Aisan and Sarge.

Unfortunately, the 45Nrth Van Helga is too fat for Sarge to get away with front or rear by a few mm's. :/
    They need to be 10mm less Diameter for him to wear em. Sarge will be sportin a pair of FBR 3.8's soon enough. The rear version is 1200g vs the front (FBF) being 1400+. Hell with it, the FBR is far superior with deeper treads than the FBF so easy decision.

Aisan has a pair of 3.25's that are ideal and fill his frame and fork with nice, soft and fat tires for a singltrack dirt style rip.

Chief, hang in there. The days pass so fast at our age it'll be done before ya know it.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi everyone

I love all these ride reports anf Mike your pictures are great.

Most of you know, the bear was in the hospital for a heart issue. Saturday night i returned to the ER. My stomach and abdomen was so sore and i was in extreme pain. Well they poked a little ran my blood, cscan with contrast all to no avail. Morphine helped for about a 3 hour period. So at 3am a male nurse comes in and says 'we're
    Kicking you out" He was rude and lacking any empathy. Fast forward to today. S
    Same things popup including a horrid case of the trots. So i might go over to a bigger hospital and have them check me out. This is getting rediculos.

Anyway Unitil Later
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey there....We had a pretty awesome weekend here in the Midwest. Temps were in the high 50s (although today's high in the mid 20s). The trails were still mush and closed, so I ended up getting in a couple of rides on the Vaya.

The Mayor build is coming along nicely. I have the Mastodon installed. I am waiting until the bike is complete to cut the steerer and decide on the stem/bars. Based on the geometry, I should need a 70mm stem, but we'll see. The Raceface crankset is on and I've mounted up the SRAM GX 1x11. The cassette will be the 10-42.

Only major decisions left are the tires and brakes. Like anything else, I want parts that just work and don't cause headaches. The brakes on my other two mtb are some variation of Level, so that might be a possibility. More research needed...

Going to be busy through the holidays, so probably not much more real progress to be made for a couple of weeks.

Wade: Having gone through a few Schwalbes in my initial summer rear tire blowout and subsequent blow out of a brand new Jumbo Jim in the front during my initial tubeless set up, I can imagine you too have gone through a lotta money in those tires you are installing on your collection of bikes there.

Oh, so far, a big thumbs up on the tubeless set up here, running the Orange Seal below zero stuff. Gorilla tape on the rear rim (holding pressure) and Zip flashing tape on the front rim (holding pressure). I like the flashing tape the best of the two cause it is more able to conform to the ridges and bumps of the inner rim vs the heaver, less pliant gorilla tape. And if you haven't looked into it, check out the DynaPlug tire plugging systems made for the tubeless fat bikes. It really is a nifty emergency road side repair kit, well engineered and thought out, though a bit pricey....

Old Bear: Sorry to hear that and it's pretty frustrating when the medical people can't get to the bottom of a pain issue. Almost sounds like some kind of blockage is going on there like what I had....turned out to be a blocked gall bladder. Wishing you the best.

Terry: Agree, best to go with proven parts for reliable, solid performance that doesn't let you down. Sounds like a nice build going on and hope to see some pictures. Wade, being the resident RSD fan here, will definitely approve!

Sunny, clear blue sky this morning after a cold, gray day with lotsa rain yesterday. The trails will be a mucky mess, and the firewood pile awaits me for the next few days, so no rides...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oldbear... my thoughts are with you. Hope it gets better very fast!

Chief... good stuff. Let the healing run its course, it'll flash by as if no time passed.

---
    A fine 14 miler yesterday. Felt good, but when I started to do my exercises and stretches afterwards I realized my muscles were still tired and achey from the day before, so I limited it to the stretches and a light workout. Felt great this morning and did the full set.

Today's supposed to rain, so I'll do a movie and the grocery shopping.

G

mtbr member
    We need to get our team off the injured reserve list! Chief, glad the surgery went well. Bear, I hope you get better soon. Mike, nice shots as always.

I put a new pin in the trail map today. My travels took me near a park which my dad used to bring us camping when we were kids. When we were kids, we just loved camping. Of course we didn't know it was the only type of vacation our family could afford. But it didn't matter because it was fun.

Fanshawe Lake is a reservoir in London Ontario which is used as a recreation area. I never had been there in the snow (not exactly camping weather). It had probably been 35 or 40 years since I last visited.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4201.jpg,
    Fat Biking and health-img_4202.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4203.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4204.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4205.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4206.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4207.jpg

TexMex: Nice snow shots. Those tree shots are interesting; the length of the tree limbs and predominately on one side of the tree makes me think the wind played a big factor in how they grew.

Your cold weather looks to have settled here in the east after the heavy rains of a day ago have been pushed out.

mtbr member
    Hidee ho!

I went to my primary care doc today and he put me on new meds that are for....drum roll please....Irritable bowel syndrome. After all that crap (no pun intended) finally relief. Plus with my arthritis he has gotten permission to give me a scrip for Tramadol to help with my arthritis.

Now for a non rant:

Mike That video made my day.and your other pics are excellent as usual. Love it.

G: your posts are always great too. Has the air quality gotten better yet?

Y
    Terry: just remember to look forward to the day your mayor is done and you can shred some serious shredding. Please post some pics of your progress.

Texmex....so you go up to Canada eh? Next time bring me some cubans. Lol. (I dont smoke. Your shirt got some attention today at the doctors. The doc. Was listening to my lungs and then the logo caught his eye. " waddya ride?" he asked i told him the "i ride a fat bike" he said he has a trek stache that is the plus model. Then I mentioned how much weight I've lost and he said to me "That's excellent. Get out and ride asap".
    So the gnome is now known. Lol. My weight had gone up a bit to 243 but most of itvwqs a bit of bloat. The hospital stay and flu had me lacking any motivation. David ( young bear) told me it was like I had just given up. Which since mama passes was becoming a reality. But David and doc got me motivated again. Plus reading these posts always help quite a lot.

Mikur - please don't be shy. All of us will not bite (although I worry about Banshee).
    Go ahead and share with us. Remember "we're here and we're listening"

Wade pm me. I'll give you Davids number.

Until later
    PEACE. LUV AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

A quick little not to Texmex: maybe those shirts could be made for us hear on the bear channel as a type of 'bike gang colors'. Lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, oldbear!

Air quality here returned blessedly to normal with the rain that arrived the day before Thanksgiving. It's rained more several times since, including today, and the air is its usual sweet, healthy self again.

Weather is up and down for riding these next few days and I have lots to do on top of that, so I suspect my rides will be a little limited for a bit.

I continue my workouts and such no matter, even my partner is beginning to notice that my trousers are all looking too big on me now.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Here's a wacky rendering of the same video I posted before, this time rendered with maximum zoom out to a "tiny world" perspective.

I did this on a lark and found it so funny I nearly fell down laughing.

https://youtu.be/R3EknrOFhqU

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Well, I received a reminder of why I am glad to live in a township with bike trails separated from the road. I came home from Canada and no one was home, my wife and daughter were working the night shift. I needed to return my rental car, so I drove over with the bike in the back. On my two mile trek to the rental car office, I ended up behind an obviously inebriated driver swerving all over the road. I tried to get close enough to get his plate but his plate light was out and he was driving erratically. I thought about following him while calling the cops, but he ran a light and sped off I didn't get enough of a description or direction to be useful. So after I parked the car and dropped the keys in the night drop off, I rode the trails home. Be careful out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone greetings from a warm and sunny OZ

Mike a great ride report, thats a lot of water lying around, still it makes for a nice photo with the south bound River Line train. Those canal paths look great to ride, is this part of your route?

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-12-01-5.22.42-pm.jpg

They look like great green corridors for you to explore.

G good to see you still pushing out the miles, that video gives a good idea of what you ride, I have heard that California is different and from the look
    of the second video that is the case

Chief, thats great to hear that everything went smoothly. Not so great that you cannot ride for a month, still beats the alternative and will make for a nice Christmas present for yourself.

Tex, Fanshawe Lake looks fantastic, only because I cannot feel how cold it was Thats quite a collection of trails you have gathered. I hear you about riding with traffic, I drive in it all day and the amount of down right dangerous behaviour and sheer stupidity I see is why I will always ride a bike path if its available.

Which brings me to this mornings ride, and a beautiful Saturday it has been. I picked up the new/old Troll through the week and wanted to give it a run. The new wheelset consists of a set of Spank 27.5, Spike 350 Vibrocore rims and Shimano XT hubs running Schwable 2.1 inch G-ONE Bite tyres. I was worried that the back wheel would be tight but the Surly motto of Fatties Fit Fine is true, plenty of space.

Fat Biking and health-img_0040.jpg

Hard to say if it was the Vibrocore in the rims or the tyres but the wheelset gives a very smooth ride on gravel. The G-ONE tyres roll along very well both on and off road and have more grip than I thought they would when I rode some single track. I managed a 45 km ride that took in a bit of everything gravel fire roads, the Fernleigh Track and Glenrock Mountain Bike park.

Fat Biking and health-img_0024.jpg

There has been a lot of work done in the park since my last ride up that way. And it was the first time in a few years that I have ridden off-road with clip less pedals. Took a little getting use to again, and on some of the rutted out climbs they helped me keep my momentum going.

Snakes and Ladders being one of those.

Fat Biking and health-img_0034.jpg

Other parts of the trails had me a little worried about not having "free" feet when I wanted to dab a foot. Still I made it around ok and just need to get use to clip less again.

The Troll makes this ride fun so it will be a once a week ride on the weekends, and when you get to stop at places like this its well worth it.

Fat Biking and health-img_0025.jpg

Hope the weather is kind and you all get to ride this weekend, sorry about that Chief

OZ.

Hi Surly In Oz! The pictures after the RiverLine train by the D&R Canal are counted as extended rides beyond the norm of my usual turnaround point from the northern end of the Lock 1 Canal at Duck Island. The ride to the northern end of Lock 1 puts me a shade under 20 miles total, so that is enough, especially these shorter days of light. I would love to incorporate more D&L canal rides over in Pennsylvania in the routine when longer sunlight days come around again, but it always boils down to my discomfort in that short riding stint in Trenton, NJ to access the bridge over into Morrisville, Pennsylvania that keeps me from making more combined PA-NJ canal runs....

Nice ride report and pictures, Surly. You leave a lot unsaid about the dangers in going off trail what with the need in maintaining pedal control; there in your homeland. It kind of mirrors my own stretch of urban areas between the northern end of my D&R Canal and up to the Delaware crossing at Morrisville.

mtbr member
    It is Global Fat Bike Day. Hope you all get out and ride. I won't be able to ride until late tonight, if at all. My son has a tournament so we will be gone all day.

Rippin da fAt
    Happy Global Fatbike Day, all! I'm dreaming of a white GFBD! Well, enjoying a white GFBD...

OZ, Sarge has a pair of G-One 2.8's. They aren't as aggressive as the Bite version but they sure are light and fast.
    Who knew a gravel tire could be such an amazing ride @10 PSI??

The Mayor gets to go out and play in the fresh snow!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Mike, yes road riding can be a quick way to fall out of love with cycling. I try to avoid the busy roads, however to get to the Fernleigh Track I need to ride a few kms of road. And on most rides I will have a close pass by a car that really takes the enjoyment out of the day.

As for riding off road, riding the new Stumpjumper really makes thing easier, you really can go over things so easily. I can see in a few years buying the Specialized Turbo Levo and having the best of both worlds.

Banshee I wanted to run G-Ones on the Troll but they were not available down here. The Bites are a happy accident really surprised how well they run on the road. I played around with tyre pressure on the ride yesterday and ended up with 26 psi up front and around 32 in the back. Good on and off road, I could maybe go a little lower on the back, I will try it next time out on the Troll.

Well its coming up to 7 am and with a hot day forecast I need to head out for a ride before its too late.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    OZ, have a great fatbike ride in observance of GFBD!

With your tires being in a 2.1, pressure between 25-35 is likely a good range. May they serve well! I like the tread pattern of the Bite version but they are not available in 2.8-3.0 for Sarge. :/ If Maxxis had made the Maxxlite available in a 3.0, I'd hafta have a pair of em.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee, missed out on the fat bike today, naughty I have a ride planned on Tuesday if all things line up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G'Morning!

As the weather turns towards end of Fall, beginning of Winter, the available time between sunrise and sunset gets tighter and the hours of reasonable temperatures get tighter. Last week we had a good bit of rainy day stuff: I did get out on Monday and Friday, again on Sunday. Sunday's ride was cold, for me, with a peak temperature in the 55-58°F range. 50°F is as cold as I go before I pull on over-trousers, over-shirt, and start wishing for heavier gloves.

I guess I'm not challenging any of you snow and ice folks.

I ran with the RYLO 360 camera again on Friday ... Got a few nice clips, need to learn how to edit them properly before I post more of them.

Hmm. I saw you post this, Surly: "...yes road riding can be a quick way to fall out of love with cycling. ..." Opposite of my feelings: I love to ride on the road. All trail doesn't make me excited to get on the bike like it does many of you, or some of my local friends. I like to go places and do things, see people, make photos, etc. Traffic and pedestrians are a challenge, yes. Chance meetings and entertaining conversations are the fun to me, I was never much of a wilderness hiker or camper. Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

---
    Yesterday's ride was my usual 'big' loop, modified by the fact that the annual "Christmas in the Park" setting has blocked up a section of my usual path through San Jose downtown. I can either detour around it and go deeper into SJ, or I can detour around it by riding through Guadalupe River Park and cutting east through SJ north of it. I chose the latter yesterday and was rewarded by a short visit with three young people on fat bikes, stopped on the trail in the park for a breather. I'd completely forgotten that it was Global Fat Bike Day ... they reminded me and were oohing and aahing over the Fatboy Comp Carbon (which I've gotten so used to it no longer seems unusual, I guess!). They were riding two Salsas and a Surly, all three of which looked good but seemed a fair bit heavier than FCC, even with my (this season) mandatory large saddle bag with emergency over-clothes in it just in case the temps drop too far.

I made my stop in Japan Town at Roy's Station for a cuppa and spent some time talking to a gent who was working on his PhD thesis there. He's writing a piece on space law—too technical/legal for me to fully understand—but is a cyclist too. Roadie bikes only, however: he was fascinated by FCC and took it for a spin up and down the street. "Nice handling, comfortable, but not fast..." he commented. "Yeah, kinda like me," I said, and we both laughed.

A bit of overcast had crept into the sky and temperatures were going down, so I bid goodbye and headed towards home. A good quick ride back, but I could feel that the cool temperatures were tiring me faster than normal. It was good to get into my condo and have a nice hot shower, then a nap.

Another ride today, I hope: it's supposed to be sunny still, with rain predicted for tomorrow through Thursday.

onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    OZ n G, it isn't the road that can make one fall outta love with cycling, it's the dorks wrapped up in themselves and oblivious to those around them.

One has to stop and think about the adventure of getting to a place or a trail that will be another chapter of the adventure! Those of us that ride to a trail or other destination have the benefit of adventure in an adventure for more reward in the end. The pleasure is being out, riding a bicycle that is more than just transportation but a collection of stories in the making, a collection of memories being stored. With that said, a bicycle is a great friend, indeed!

That is nothing more than an endless supply of incentive to get out and do it again sooner than later...

The best part, many of us have the opportunity to enjoy the road and the trails for even more good times with fewer limits.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Took a long ride yesterday. The singletrack was all closed due to freeze/thaw. It was extremely warm for December (65F) but also very windy. I rode to the beach at the Alum Creek State Park,
    Fat Biking and health-alum-beach.jpg
    Then I rode over to the Hoover Resevoir
    Fat Biking and health-hoover.jpg
    I am traveling to Michigan this week, and the forecast calls for snow.

The temperature here in Ohio has dropped almost to freezing overnight.
    Welcome to Ohio, if you don't like the weather just stay a few minutes, it will change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    heya banshee!

I figure the goofballs out there on the road have always been there, and I've spent since I was 16-17 years old learning how to recognize and avoid them. So nothing's different and I enjoy the two wheeler regardless.

So far, even though I bought a cycle carrier for my car, I've ridden to everywhere I wanted to ride, be it roads or trails. Or, on a couple of occasions, used a train to do one-way part of the ride, then ridden home from wherever that was. A good piece of the fun is poring over the bicycle trail and lane maps and figuring interesting routes that bypass the more miserable or boring car routes. I've learned a lot of interesting routes now, at least through an area of about 20 miles radius of my place.

It's all good!

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Just back from my ride today. Started out in lovely sunny weather, just over 60°F, and ran up to Cupertino for a bit of lunch at a nice little fish food place. When I headed back out to the bike to head back, it had become overcast so I kept an eye on the clouds as I cycled and thought, "Hmm. Looks like some rain coming in earlier than expected." No rain by the time I passed the Valley Fair shopping center, so I figured I'd head over to Peet's for a cup of coffee. Leaving there at 3, the sky'd become dark and the cloud cover complete, so I scurried home quickly. No rain yet, but it feels imminent. Temperature was dropping, as was the light level ....

All told, about an 18 mile day. And that puts me right on the 2000 mile mark for the FCC. And there's still tread on the rear tire! Woo Hoo!

Oh yeah: had the Polaroid with me, with B&W film in it. A cheesy scan, but such it is...

onwards!
    G
    Last edited by ramarren; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, nice looking beach, those temp changes must make dealing with them tough. Either get cold or not, snow or not

In your part of the US when the snow arrives does it stick around for months or is it patchy?

Hi G nice images, I should have phrased that better I love to ride the road, indeed if I had to choose to have one bike it would be my Surly Cross Check. The problems are the people driving cars in their own little world, either distracted or more of a worry aggressive driving. We have plenty of both down here as do most places. And as I commute to work everyday by bike when I get a choice of where to ride, the road theses days has lost some appeal.

Its funny if you walk along a street and bump into someone turning a corner you normally both have a laugh and smile. Put people in a car and the same sort of encounter can become aggressive in an instance. I don't understand that mentality, and I drive everyday for a living so I get plenty of chance to experience it first hand.

Meeting people on bikes is one of the joys of cycling, meeting an old lady who missed killing me by less than an inch riding home for lunch one day not so. A least I believed her when she said she did not see me. But hardly a week goes by on my rides were an aggressive driver will cut me up or pass too close. I ride safely and give them no reason to drive like that but it still happens way too much.

But I agree one of the best ways to meet people these days is by riding a bike. And when I do its normally a pleasant experience.

I have not ridden today waiting for my son to finish work later, a nice sea breeze is coming in now and cooling it down. Did a little work on my CC this morning fixing the front brakes. If you guys have not watched any of the Park Tools help videos on YouTube its worth checking out, had me sorted quick smart this morning.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    People in cars get scared easily when things surprise them or get out of control. I think that sums it up. I find the tendency is the same in my own reactions, and I fight it.

Looks to be a rainy day here most of the day. I likely won't ride.. eye doctor appt this morning, grocery shopping and other errands after. And my body needs the rest time.. I pushed hard yesterday and I could still feel it when I did my exercises this morning.

I better get to doing cards....

mtbr member
    I went for a follow up with the electrical heart doc this morning. He checked the pacemaker and the leads, everything is good. Prior to surgery last week I asked him if this was going to make me feel better, he asked how do you feel now. I told him I feel good. So he didn't think I would see any differences. Well, we were both wrong, I had symptoms that I wasn't aware of. I feel GREAT, energy level is way up, not breathing hard after steps, eyes even seem to feel better and seeing a little better. So that being said, I'm still on easy does it for my left arm, I can get back on my bike today (I'll ride the trainer to see how I feel). I can start stretching and working on my flexibility again. All great news. Start building a base and get outside when I can. I see him again in after the new year.
    All smiles here.

mtbr member
    Oz, this time of year snow comes then melts again. Come January it has been sticking around longer. Every winter it seems like there will be a brief midwinter thaw. It may or may not melt what's on the ground. As you head about 150 miles North it is a lot more likely to be there all winter long. This area is kind of like a borderline for the weather. North of us is snow, South is very little snow if any.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    I went for a follow up with the electrical heart doc this morning. He checked the pacemaker and the leads, everything is good. Prior to surgery last week I asked him if this was going to make me feel better, he asked how do you feel now. I told him I feel good. So he didn't think I would see any differences. Well, we were both wrong, I had symptoms that I wasn't aware of. I feel GREAT, energy level is way up, not breathing hard after steps, eyes even seem to feel better and seeing a little better. So that being said, I'm still on easy does it for my left arm, I can get back on my bike today (I'll ride the trainer to see how I feel). I can start stretching and working on my flexibility again. All great news. Start building a base and get outside when I can. I see him again in after the new year.
    All smiles here.
    that is great news! Good to hear you are firing all cylinders

E

Surly In Oz: Your post #6725..... Somehow I missed that screen shot you enclosed in your post. Yes, that looks to be one of the public road crossings over on the Delaware & Lehigh Canal, aka the Pennsylvania Canal, aka the Delaware Canal. Yep, three different names, one same canal. That is across the Delaware River in the state of Pennsylvania. That canal begins in the river town of Bristol PA, is broken up and paved over and filled in along the route past Bristol to Morrisville, where it becomes one unbroken canal all the way up to Allentown, PA where it again is broken up and then continued in towns along the Lehigh River up to White Haven, PA. A lotta miles on that one.

Chief: That's great news to hear. I'm kinda surprised they did not have you on several weeks of cardiac rehab. I went through about 6 weeks of it or so after my stents were installed back in 2011. This heart disease stuff is very silent and stealthy the way it becomes a part of your life to the point where what you think is normal operations is really not. My own turning point was walking the beagle; to run several dozen feet with her had me out of breath; this from a person who was used to long distance bicycling or running or walking all my life. We simply sometimes don't realize how sick we may really be until something jars us back into reality. All the best to your recovery!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    CHIEF! Excellent news! Very good to hear that, made my day.

Yes, heart disease can be very sneaky. I just thought I was getting older and slowing down a bit when it was discovered that I had persistent atrial fibrillation and that my heart's efficiency was down under 50% of what it should be. It'd been going on for years, slowly eating away at my capabilities and life. It took two atrial ablations, and then another couple of years of other medical entertainment, to even start getting back to where I wanted to be ... and it affected every system in my body, top to bottom, in often very subtle ways.

I am so glad to hear that you're on the mend.

G

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden since last Sunday, the day before the pacemaker went in. I rode the trainer in the basement yesterday for 15 minutes, today for 20 min. Working back into it, can't wait for some warmer temps to get back outside for a few miles. I also wanna make sure everything is OK, so the trainer will work for now.

Not allowed to raise my arm above my shoulder until into the new year. I got back into my stretching routine yesterday too. Got that in today also. Feeling better getting loose again.

I was looking through my log this evening. Longest streak was 16 days in a row through mid June, July was my biggest month with 301.52 miles and I totaled 2104.52 miles so far this year. My most since I started in 2010. I'm looking forward to 2019 and putting more miles in and a lot more with my wife. As she gets stronger on the bike she's pushing me a little and making me work at times. She looks so smooth and effortless that I makes me work. I have to get her on longer rides.

I'm doing well and feeling good. I hope all of you are too.

Andy

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Glad to hear that you're doing well. Once the doc turns you loose, it's time to learn the fine art of layering and riding in cold weather. Layering is key to successfully riding in the cold. The last thing ya want is to sweat and get chilled so moderating heat is a major component. Pogies are a nice item and make a day and night difference on keeping mitts warm. Mostly, you can use the clothing you already own to get started. Just a thought... And +bikes are awesome any time of year with their fatter tires. Studded tires are handy for icy conditions.

Mike, fortunately for Chief, the pacemaker was preventative rather than an emergency. There was likely no cardiac event so cardiac rehab was unnecessary in his case. You and I had cardiac events and such so rehab was part of the curriculum. My cardiologist let me off of cardiac rehab due to the Mayor being involved. I did have to use portable telemetry during my rides and upload the results after my rides. Evidently, the data was favorable and I was able to omit traditional cardiac rehab.

I was eyeballing the old trainer and Sarge left the room! XD Frankly, I hadn't kept a log of my rides but did do a ton of riding this year. My corporate handbook requires a bike to be in any company vehicle during business operation of said vehicle. After all, it makes sense to take a ride on a trail spotted during the day's commute. Sarge, Aisan and the Mayor get lotsa rides on "new to us" trails that way along with trails that we know all too well.

The Mayor is getting a Wren 150mm fork very soon! This will be most interesting to try out on the fatass fatbike...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    CHIEF! Very good to hear the news! Keep at it!

---
    The persistent rain that was supposed to be all of yesterday dropped down to a 20% chance forecast by the time I was out of the movie theater (... excellent film, btw: "Green Book" ... really worth seeing!). Temps were chilly low 50sF but I figured a short blast over to the Post Office to pick up stamps would be fine. Uh, closed for some politician's funeral day... sheesh! But the weather was holding and incited me to go a bit further. Did my whole loop, with a stop for coffee. By the time I left the cafe, the sky was getting darker and temps were dropping. "Better get my butt home or I'm going to get wet and cold!" so I licked off like I had a wind behind me. A signal indicator of how much my legs are gaining is that all the way home I ran middle 80s to low 90s cadence: felt great! A sprinkle took me for about a half mile but the clouds relented and let me get the rest of the way home before rain fell with any force. Thank you, rain gods!

All in all about a 12 mile day and an average speed about 12.5 mph. The hot shower once I arrived home felt really good too!

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, thats great news Chief a speedy recovery will be the best Christmas present ever.

As for working out I have been using a Pilates Reformer machine at the gym at work, apart from the ribbing about not lifting "real" weights its been a real eye opener. After watching a few Youtube videos by John Garey to get some idea of how to use it I don't believe that I will ever lift a weight again. Its so easy to do a whole body workout in a very time efficient way. And its added muscle mass, but more importantly its defined what I had and really helped with some lower back pain that I have, or should say had.

Well worth checking these machines out for us older folk, Chief it would be fantastic for your rehab, starting with legs and moving on to the rest of the body in the new year.

I have to work on Saturday so hopefully I will get to ride Sunday. If the weather is as hot as forecast Mike I might take my sons kayak out for a paddle.

OZ.

mtbr member
    D-it...rain rain rain. That sums up today.no ride. Tomorrow is sipposed to be much nicer.

I am enjoying youtibe and all things fat.lots onthere.

Until Later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018

My ride today

Fat Biking and health-durham-forest-dec-8th.jpg

Weather up here has been wet, so it has been asphalt trails and sidewalks for me - Until today.

I had a chance to ride Durham Forest east of Toronto. Not a lot of snow, but a great ride anyhow.

Glad to hear that there are some recoveries underway.
    One question - on a pacemaker, what happens when you exert yourself on a ride? Does the pacemaker dial up the heart rate?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It's been beautiful but chilly here. I've been out riding every day and enjoying the sun ... it's due to rain again starting tomorrow evening. This happened two days ago:

---
    I was on my bicycle ride and stopped at a downtown cafe. I took out the RF70 to make a little still life photo of my coffee, pastry, and helmet. The woman who runs the smoke shop next door saw the camera and came over to say, "That's a beautiful camera! What kind is it?"

We talked for a few moments, and then I said, "I'd be honored to make a photograph of you with it. I'll make two so you can have one, too." She got all excited and said, "Sure! Let me get ready.." and ran into the store to get her shawl and arrange herself.

After the two photos had processed, I told her to take the one she liked most, as long as I snapped a photo of it with the iPhone.

MiNT InstaKon RF70
    Fujifilm Instax Wide Monochrome

What a glorious and regal look she has!

Then I went over to the bike to ride home and found the rear tire flat. A parking patrol man stopped and told me there was a bicycle shop only a few blocks away, so I walked there. Very nice little place, traditional bicycle shop. The mechanic found a thin piece of stiff wire had punctured the tube in two places ... I had him put a new tube in, but I'll patch this one as a spare. Twenty minutes and $32 later, I'm back on my way as always.

More later...!

Onwards, ever onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Mikbur, looks like a good snow up there. I won't be back in Canada until after New Years. But is that a good place to check out if I'm up that way? Is it worth a drive
    From Cambridge?

The lower Midwest is going to thaw out again. I was driving up to Elkhart and passed through Toledo. I knew the weather means today is my only chance to ride singletracks this week but I didn't feel like fussing with a night ride at my destination. So I pulled over near Toledo and hit Oak Opening Metropark. They have added two new loops since my last visit. The conditions were 25 degrees (-3C). Which wasn't too bad. I almost hit a squirrel. The stupid thing jumped in front of me at the last second. I didn't even see him because his fur blended perfectly with the blanket of fallen oak leaves. He lost confidence in his camouflage as I passed by and nearly did us both in. I saw an owl pick up a small critter toward the end of the ride. I saw a lot of deer tracks, but no deer. There were
    Cars in the parking lot so the riders ahead of me probably shooed them away. Directional trails are cool because even if it is busy, you won't see anyone unless they are much faster or slower. These trails change direction depending on the day of the week. The trails are flat, but they built great features to get over the swampy areas.Fat Biking and health-img_4244.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4242.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4240.jpg

Nice right reports from G, Mikbur and TexMex!

No riding since the last report; been working and recovering from the firewood pile. During this time, our first real stretch of consecutive days without rain snow or storm, a first in a long while. When this wood thing is stabilized I want to get back into my routine of riding. In the meantime, your reports are helping a lot!

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks Mike!

No ride yesterday, possibly none today; first days off the bike in a week or so. It's dense fog today until at least 10am, and I have appointments with eye doctor, out of town guests, and holiday bustling about that must get attended to. Never mind that temps are a bit lower than my usual comfort zone without additional layers ... I've just ordered a heavier weight jersey and full leg-length cycling gear because my overshirt and overprints aren't the greatest for riding any distance.

It's hard to keep up the proper riding duty with all these distractions.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    I've been on my bike on a trainer in the basement since Friday. I'm taking it easy and getting some time in. It feels good to be spinning the peddles at least. It's been pretty cold here in SE PA but things are looking up for this Friday temps are supposed to be in the upper 50's so I will try to get out for a ride to feel a breeze on my face again.

mtbr member
    Chief, do you have one of those trainers which hooks into Zwift or that kind of thing? I think that looks like a cool idea.

I rode at Rum Village today, but I wasn't feeling it. The leaves made it hard to follow the trail and some of the roots and rocks were hard to see. That combined with the fact the trail is very twisty made a night ride pretty difficult. So I cut the ride short.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4245.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Based on your map of places you have done, it is definitely worth a drive from Cambridge.
    Let me know if you are considering a trip, there are hours of riding to be had.

mtbr member
    Good, I'll look you up. As long as you don't mind waiting for a fat, slow guy!

mtbr member
    Heydeho!
    Just a quick in and out for the bear here. I have been watching the rain fall all day today. Seems that every time they forecast rain down here it really happens!!!
    I am typing this at 2:34am so I'm a bit sleepy. More laterc
    On.
    Until then...
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Two lovely days past, two nice lunch rides around my usual loop, both of them in the 11-14 mile range. Temps in the high 50s/just touching 60s, sunny and beautiful.

Today dawned blowy and blustery, with rain expected this afternoon. I have appointments this morning, and think I need a respite to let my muscles rest a bit, so I'll take the day off and work on the toy car I'm building for one of the boys across the hall. And my holiday cards. And the photo scanning I need to do. And my piano lessons. And so forth...

It is the middle of December. One thing I've been most amazed at is that I'm still riding with a middle weight jersey and bicycle shorts. I need a heavier, warmer jersey and full length cycle pants for January and February. And my first pair of bicycle shorts no longer fit me ... They're now too big and flop around. I'll donate them to Good Will and get another pair of the snugger ones that I like the most. It's all good!

onwards!
    G

Friday has a ride report, the first since our last report here. A relatively warm 50 degree day, with rain threatening later in the day; giving way of a weekend full of rain.

So, the standard 20 mile ride north to Lock 1 on the Delaware and Raritan Canal, to Trenton NJ and back to Homebase on the Full FatSix.

Fat Biking and health-100_3636.jpg
    View from the cockpit.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3637.jpg
    Odometer coming up on 6 thousand miles since putting this bike on the road in March, 2017.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3638.jpg
    At the Lock 1 pedestrian bridge over the lock chamber.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3639.jpg
    At the pedestrian bridge over Lock 1, looking north. A picture taken dozens of times before. This time, the Delaware is at extreme low tide, so a great amount of water has drained out of the open canal system. 6 hours or so from now, high tide and the tidal process begins again.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3640.jpg
    Northbound, north of the I-295 overpass and just short of the old Penn Central/PRR spur going into the Duck Island Power Plant; the trail has really, really deteriorated over the past year with this area reverting into some kind of marsh. The owners of this towpath, the state of NJ, really need to get into here and provide some fill for this low spot as well as deal with the I-295 roadway drains that dump hundreds of gallons of rain water on those overpasses onto the canal path below. Will it happen? I tend to doubt it. Maybe if one of their canal path maintenance vehicles gets stuck up to it's axle in the mud....lol
    Fat Biking and health-100_3641.jpg
    8 miles riding the nice quiet towpath brings me back to the Crosswicks Creek bridge, heading homeward bound over a glass like calm over the creek and the river beyond. Calm before the storm as it has been said.

Additional note: In regards to the mud where once there was trail; to go right of the mud puts your fat tires rolling over cut saplings; which tend to act like spikes in the soft tire tread face. So I just walked the bike over the right side to avoid any of the cut saplings going through my tires......

mtbr member
    Weather was ridable today. I got out a little after lunch. First time outside on the bike in a while. I got in 10 miles, it was a slow ride. I collected 15 geo-caches during my ride. I used to hunt them a while ago and figured it's am easy ride and something else to do while I'm out. So, 10 miles around town, 15 geo-caches and saw 21 deer in 2 hours. What a nice day, it felt SO good to be outside riding. I'm a little sore to night but that will pass with a good stretch.

mtbr member
    Chief, glad to see you're riding.

Ohio had nice weather today, but rain is expected for the rest of the weekend. So I took a long ride to Galena. I ok my usual rout across the alum Creek dam,
    Fat Biking and health-img_4253.jpg
    I headed east to the North side of the Hoover Reservoir. There is a boardwalk that hooks around an Osprey nesting area which offers a great view of the lake. By the time I got there, the clouds were rolling in, the skies were completely gray when I was done. Rain is expected tonight and Saturday
    Fat Biking and health-img_4259.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4265.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4266.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone great to see you are all out riding, especially you chief that must have felt great.

G, I like the portrait of the shopkeeper I am sure that she will treasure it.

Mike nice report the lack of colour really makes the place look different and cold. The gravel ride that I had planned for this morning is out after a few days of very heavy thunderstorms the track will have water laying across it. Even the roads are still wet at the moment and some more rain is heading this way. So if I ride today it will be in the afternoon.

Tex I like the idea that 25f is not too bad the coldest I have ridden in is around 30f and that only lasted for an hour or so until the sun came up.

Had an interesting ride the other day, I took my sons road bike out for a spin and whilst riding through town a rider came along side and we started chatting. He is newish to the riding scene and asked me where I ride, I mentioned that I like to use bike paths when possible as through my work I see so many distracted/dangerous drivers everyday. On mentioning who I worked for he asked me if I knew someone, I did he is one of my good friends at work. Turns out my riding companion went to school with my work colleague and has been trying to find him for awhile. So I was glad to put them together. They grew up in Dubbo thats around 500 kms from here and had lost contact after moving around the state working over the years. Rather random odds that I would meet one and know the other.

Anyway I have a new seat to fit on my Troll and a bike to wash and if I am lucky a ride this afternoon, have a good weekend all.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    25*F is way below any temp I want to be out in on a bicycle...! Yeah, I'm a wimp. The coldest ride I've been out on, inadvertently, was about 39°F. Nope, not for me.

Thanks OZ! That photo is inspiring me to make more portraits again. Instant film is perfect for this, if a trifle expensive to shoot.

---
    Nice ride today, and that tendon in my hip wasn't being grumpy. Had a nice fast ride downtown for breakfast and then back. Took a long detour and summed up to 17 miles.

Supposed to be wet and blustery tomorrow. I think I'll take my partner to see "Once Upon A Deadpool" at the movie theater.

G

Chief: Well done ride. Weather forecasters totally off on their prediction of rain for Friday, starting noonish or so. Good to hear you are progressing well.

Surly: Great observation; the winter months are a look of grays and browns. The jungle overgrowth completely dies off after the first frost. The shortened hours of daylight, when combined with those cold, drizzly, gray days that sometime go on without end have a way of making people a little less cheery. Way up north, they call it "cabin fever". Good that the rains have come your way, as your homeland regions dearly need it.

TexMex: Nice ride pictures of what appears to be a very inviting area to ride in. Galena seems like it would be a model town to move to and that nearby Ohio To Erie trail......you must do a ride report on this trail. Sounds like my cup of tea, a near 300 mile trail connecting the Ohio River at Cincinnati to Lake Erie at Cleveland. We simply don't have this kind of civic thinking here in NJ to contemplate building such a thing. In fact, my homebase south end run is soon to be inundated with semi truck traffic as one more Amazon warehouse sprouts up (tax-free!) on the site of the old US Pipe Factory on River Road, Burlington, NJ.

G: 39 degrees is cold enough to get hypothermic; even get the eyes watering, for sure. I envy your ride areas as I do TexMex's. Here in NJ, it is just one sardine canned lumping of humanity together with not one ounce of thought for things like bike paths or long bike trails connecting north to south, east to west. Here, you are on your own.

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768