Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 6,601 to 6,677 of 6677
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey guys...been looking for a frame to use in my bike build. It has to fit 27.5X3.8 with good clearance. I think I am set on aluminum. I'd rather not have a press fit BB, but I suppose that isn't a deal breaker. I plan to run a Mastodon, so I need to somehow make sure the fork will clear the downtube in case of an unexpected crash. Short of that, I am pretty open to ideas...as long as it is budget friendly. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sorry Terry, no clue on a frame.

Chief, I bet you are like me. When I have time to do something, I'd rather be riding than stretching or core work. I convince myself I'll do it later then don't. But riding is way more fun.

We had 2.5 days of rain, mud everywhere. Riding limited to pavement, gravel or the beach
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpihc0RB...d=g7cttov0i57j

The weather forecast for the race is 33degrees F at the start and 44F by the end( 0.5 C and 7C, for Oz). Partly cloudy. I hope that's right. I can deal with the cold easy if it is dry. Rain gets trickier.

mtbr member
    cederic - great job keep up the GREAT work.

Texmex - yeah that's me too. I'm feeling good lets ride, I'll get to the stretching and core work later and never do, until it lets go them I'm a demon on it ..... like right now.

Feeling pretty bad today. My firefighter friend and childhood neighbor passed this morning at 12:03am. I'm in shock, he went from OK to sugar issues and clots and he then HAD to go to the doctor and was diagnosed. That was 2 weeks ago; Jesus so fast. I feel so bad for his wife. It was quite a shock to my wife and I. SO glad I do my thing with the doc's and get checked regularly. I was going to visit him after work today.

The cardiologist visit Monday was goos news. Everything is good keep doing what i'm doing. We're trying to reduce one of my pressure meds and I started it today. Bad afternoon, headache, pressure behind my eyes and i feel it in my lips. Those are my indicators for when my pressure is up. I checked it and it is. I did what the doc recommended and it had little impact. I'll document it, go back to my regular meds and contact the doc in the morning.

Back is feeling a little better. I did my full core workout yesterday. It felt pretty good. I tweaked it this morning putting my socks on. LOL Heat and stretch this evening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    The whole reason I started cycling was for my health. I put 1,000 miles on my Giant X-Road the first summer. That combined with cardio, weight training, and eating right in the off season fixed all my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure numbers. I'm my doctors poster child as he kept telling me I was a cheeseburger away from a heart attack for the ten years prior. I went from 247 to 195. The eating right part sucked cause I like BBQ and beer... haha but I've maintained the 195-200 pound range year round for 7 years because of riding. I went to the fat bike two years ago to open up more riding surface options. One by one I'm getting family, friends, and co-workers into cycling.
    I missed this one scrolling through, that is awesome work Cederic. Welcome to OldBear's forum. I also find the battle on the bike much easier than in the kitchen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone greetings from a sunny and increasingly warm OZ.

Chief thats terrible news of your friend, don't know what to say when it happens so fast, sometimes life is not fair. Keep in touch with your Doc and stay on top of things with your meds.

Tex that weather seems pretty cool to me my coldest days of winter just crack 0 dec C at worst during sunrise. I can stand it because it will only get that cold on the clearest of nights so it does not take long for the sun to warm things up. Cool mornings will soon be needed for my rides as the days have warmed up in the last week or so. Hope the race is fun.

Had my first commute to work on the bike in a while this morning, it was a beautiful day and I was loving every minute of it. Right up to the point a bug of unknown type decided death by cyclist was the way to go and found the gap perfectly into my mouth. He went straight down and I could feel him crawling around as I made it into work coughing and spluttering. Some water soon had him on his way, and reminded me to keep my mouth shut

After work I was feeling a little lazy and with the longer afternoons now I should have headed out on a longer ride, but chose to take the new/old Orange Troll out for a quick spin. Wow who knew that under all those commuting bits was a nifty little mountain bike. This thing fly's up hills and is a great ride on single track thats a little mellow. Totally surprised me with how much fun it is, also surprised me how sketchy the down hills felt on loose gravel. A trail that I fly down without a second thought on Farley had me riding the brakes and keeping the front end upright. Still it made easy trails seem a whole lot more fun Its going to workout well as the gravel bike that I planned for.

Hope to get a ride tomorrow afternoon and then I have Friday off and fingers crossed the weather lets me head out on an adventure.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    CHIEF: My condolences on the death of your friend. It's been a terrible year for that around here.

Great to see some folks who haven't posted in a while! and congrats on all your successes!

---
    I'm continuing with my daily workouts, doubling what the therapist gave me to do now, and feeling great for it. I'm back in the situation that I'm building muscle faster than I'm losing fat, so my weight is varying between 249 and 255 at the moment. I can feel the muscle growing and bulking up bits of me that were all flab before, and the fit of my clothes keeps changing: now all but my tightest cycle shorts are beginning to be baggy on me, and the two tightest t-shirts I had are the only ones that fit without belling out.

... I'll never be a small guy and be healthy. My high-point datum weight on the scale in December 2016 was 315 lbs. I felt like a balloon and had no strength, all my stats were a mess. Now I feel like me again, strong and just a bit flabby about the middle, and my stats are right in line. My goal is to get rid of the flab in the middle and get into the 200 lbs ball park like I was just out of college. I doubt I'll ever be 30 again, but that won't stop me from trying.

FCC has now done past 1700 miles since April 9. Working perfectly ... STILL on the original tires I fitted when it was put together, and there's still tread even on the rear! I was noticing a bit of chain noise, even after lubing the chain, so I went back through my records and found that I replaced the first chain at 850 miles. It's been another 800+ miles so I guess it's time for a new chain. Sprockets all seem to be in good shape.

I've ridden every day since last Wednesday, and I'll likely take today off the bike again because I have the same deal going today: PT appointment in the morning, Dentist in the afternoon. I don't plan on riding after I see the dentist because I often get a headache if he gives me an anesthetic shot. I'll see.

Tomorrow I'll ride to my usual bi-weekly appointment, so I'm looking forward to that. It's a nice 25 to 30 mile round trip down a fun route of trails and highway crossings.

onwards, always onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    This has been the story the last couple days... Pondering the logistics of building an ark.Fat Biking and health-c0fa2b5a-41a0-4ea4-bc33-b8fe6e1b9eef.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Tex that looks like our weather pattern of a few weeks ago. Round here on my local trails at the end of the street, they dry out in a day or two at most.

Speaking of local trails I rode them this morning, I had planned a car trip to Glenrock to ride the trails there but the day is a scorcher, it was well above 30 dec C (86F) by 9 o'clock when I sent the wife off to work. And a hot North West wind blowing it was only going to get hotter.

So I had not taken the new Stumpjumper for a proper spin yet so it came off the rack. There are two main trails that weave down the hill and a fire road climb is the quickest way back to the top. The fire road like any trail cut in a straight line down a hill has eroded badly in places, and is turning into a single track in others. I normally only climb up it but with a bike with 150mm of travel it seemed like a good time to ride a few laps down the fire road and see how the other half live

I did three runs down it letting the brakes go a little more each time and the faster the bike went the better it rode. Not sure if thats a good thing for me to do with my limited skills but my son will really enjoy it. I leave him to it and get back on the Farley or Monkey next time.

One of the sections the Stumpjumper floated down.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00162.jpg

G thats a big weight loss, keep pushing there miles and I am sure you will knock off more. I found using a punching bag years ago really took the weight off me, might be something to look at. Me, I need to get serious with some core workouts and hamstring exercises, find my lower back getting tight on some trail rides when I push a little hard.

At work tomorrow so next ride will be on Sunday hopefully the weather has cooled down a little by then.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Hey guys...been looking for a frame to use in my bike build. It has to fit 27.5X3.8 with good clearance. I think I am set on aluminum. I'd rather not have a press fit BB, but I suppose that isn't a deal breaker. I plan to run a Mastodon, so I need to somehow make sure the fork will clear the downtube in case of an unexpected crash. Short of that, I am pretty open to ideas...as long as it is budget friendly. Suggestions?

Have a look at RSD... Sarge can wear 3.8's quite well.
    Are you looking for a fat that can do +?

Well, the Mayor has done the snow dance once again! Lookin like Sarge is gonna hafta change his shoes for the Nobby Nic's at this point. Fortunately, SL tubes will make this a no fuss procedure with no scummy mess to deal with.

Chief, sorry to hear of yet another loss. :/

OZ, you're gaining on the skillz! If ya don't push yourself moderately, progression will never happen so, onward...

Tex, we are in the season of mud and whatevuh! I feel your pain on the trials being out of commission lately.

Mike??

OldBear???
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I took the day off today. I was heading to the beach but the weather held me back. I slept late and then got a nice leisurely ride in. I did the power lines and lake. It was warm and humid 72 degrees. What a nice day. The 10+ miles today put me over 1500 for the year to date. This is the most since I started riding. Last year was a low mileage year due to the knee replacement. It was cloudy and humid but beautiful day.
    Some views.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5193.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_5190.jpeg

Fat Biking and health-img_5198.jpg

And I found the big boy that nearly collided with me last week. He was all comfortable and taking a break at noon.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5203.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Chief rolls through the barrio!

Glad ya had a ride today. 72, Pfft! was 48 here and the snow line is getting lower on Mt. Sopris.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    As predicted, I didn't ride Wednesday. Between the new exercises my PT has given me, the work on my teeth, etc, I just had no energy for it and decided to rest.

Thursday I had a bunch of quick things to do early but had committed myself to a nice ride up to my friends' Mexican restaurant for lunch. It's about five miles to the north of me, a nice jaunt up via the San Tomas Trail, and then I was going to head down the Guadalupe River Trail to San Jose and circle back home. The restaurant is about a half mile up the road from Levi Stadium .. And that's where things got complicated.

There was a ball game at the stadium scheduled for 5:00pm, so by noon-ish the San Tomas Trail was closed where it passes through the stadium property. There were bicycle detour signs up to route me around the property, which was fun in its way exploring through some of the local residential streets, but I realized the detour was intended to hop me around the stadium property and back to the Trail way over the other side of it as I approached the light rail and traffic over pass. The over pass goes over the CalTrain/AmTrak rails and there's no way across that for miles out of my way, but there is a pedestrian stair at the center of the over pass. I hiked the bicycle onto my shoulder and climbed up about forty feet to the top of the structure ... thank the gods for a light bicycle!

I had lunch a short moment later, and the rest of the ride proceeded without a hitch, a total of about 21 miles. It was beautiful out and these exercises I've been doing have made that really pretty easy!

Today I had another PT session: My therapist is really working me hard now. After that, I had lunch, got on my bicycle gear, and did a fast pass on my usual loop for a late coffee run. Another sweet day, and a 13 mile run.

The fit of my clothes continues to change, I can feel the way the muscles underneath are growing and changing, and I was two pounds down again this morning on the scale. I'll crack into the next decade down by mid-month, I suspect, and be even stronger. My body is loving all this 'abuse'.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Wade - no habla
    Not the barrio but we do have some graffiti artists, especially along the NE Corridor for Amtrak (NYC to Philly).

G, good job stay at it. I added some planking to my stretching / core work routine yesterday. It helps my back feel better. I have to start looking for a trainer and a gym.

I'm off this morning to say goodbye to my neighbor / friend and fellow firefighter that passed Tuesday morning. Sad but if you have to go quick is the way to go. He didn't lay in a nursing home for months suffering.

Been safe.

mtbr member
    Ok. Ok. Hi Y'all!

Been down for close to a week with nasty stomach issues. That's why I haven't posted. I feel like I've been run over. Stomach issues coupled with the trots makes for an unhappy bear. Lol

Cedric- welcome to our corner of the fatness. Many of us started riding to get healthier. Keep at it.

Terry: build with care bro. And post some pics when you finally start.

Well. I gotta scoot. Sorry this is so short.
    Until later
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Older has a chapped ass? @.o
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I finished the race. I overdresssed for the temp and ended up sweating too much. So about 20 miles in my legs cramped up so bad I almost couldn't move them. I seriously didn't know how I would finish the race. i managed to rub it out enough to finish.

One thing I realized is that bike race watchers are not telling the truth when they say "this is the last big hill". In fact, I think they were screwing with me. It was never the last big hill, the last big hill is literally at the end of the race. Their misguidance caused me to burn matches I definitely didn't have. So next time I won't listen to those idiots. But there will be a next time because on the whole, it was a great experience. Definitely something I could not have done two years ago. I was damn near last place, but I finished.

We stayed after to watch the pros race. They are like gazelles flying through the course. It was truly amazing to watch in person. The women put on a heck of a race as well.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Important news!

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Ok. Ok. Hi Y'all!

Been down for close to a week with nasty stomach issues. That's why I haven't posted. I feel like I've been run over. Stomach issues coupled with the trots makes for an unhappy bear. Lol

Cedric- welcome to our corner of the fatness. Many of us started riding to get healthier. Keep at it.

Terry: build with care bro. And post some pics when you finally start.

Well. I gotta scoot. Sorry this is so short.
    Until later
    Oldbear
    UPDATE....THE NEWS AT 6....ON THE OLBEAR CHANNEL..

I finally feel much much better.....this is the first time in days that my stomach and related organs feel almost normal.

Lol...I know TMI. But this thread started as a way to relate about our fat biking health progress. Hence since I do feel better, tomorrow I ride.

We finally broke down and purchased Blue a new Jagwire derailleur cable. I got a Jagwire pro level stainless cable. I just want the full range of gears. Granted its FLAT down here, but Blue isn't a walgoose nor a singlespeed. When we get the chance up north of here there's a lot of trails with elevation gains. Yup hilly. And it would be nice to have all 18 gears " if'n i needs dem". Besides shelling out almost a grand for my fatty means i am serious about fat biking.

G- great to hear that you're getting better and stronger. Just keel it up.

Tex- Lol....I looked at your post with the radar pick and thought.. "Hmmmm Tex is directly above us. Maybe i shouldn't have sent him all that rain." we just had an almost monsoon rain here. Mostly in the evenings and early morning.
    Last night, it hit 45 last night and Young Bear put the furnace on. It was cold in the mobile before that. It got down to about 60f. The caveat to this is though we gotta turn off the furnace during the day. It hit about 86 in here. Lol

Mike-where are you? Lost in the Pine Barrens?

Oz- Love all your posts of course. Your summer should just starting, right? Let....us know what your weather is like. Love your new ride too. Mama Bear loved orange bikes.

What happened to Pepper? Just wondering.

Wade- I'm sending you a gift of a nice warm weather dance done by both Ryback and Blue. Lol. I think you need some nice 85f days.lol.

Cheif- brother, my heart gows out to you for your loss. May he rest in peace.
    Keep on riding and posting.

Okay time for a Oldbear rambling rant....
    We as a tribe or family all band together at various times here on our thread. To me it is very heartening to me that we don't get into politics as that subject is so damn divisive and to me vile. We just share our struggles, triumphs and yes tears. I never thought back in 2014 that my simple premise would take on almost a life of it's own or that we'd get soooo posts or regulars. We have seen so many come and go. And all are missed. But we are a tribe or better yet a family. Let's just keep this going. Let's educate each other. Let's keep up the laughter. Let's just be what we are in this lifestyle.

Thus endeth this rambling rant.

Until later
    Oldbear, Young bear and Cubby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I finished the race. I overdresssed for the temp and ended up sweating too much. So about 20 miles in my legs cramped up so bad I almost couldn't move them. I seriously didn't know how I would finish the race. i managed to rub it out enough to finish.

One thing I realized is that bike race watchers are not telling the truth when they say "this is the last big hill". In fact, I think they were screwing with me. It was never the last big hill, the last big hill is literally at the end of the race. Their misguidance caused me to burn matches I definitely didn't have. So next time I won't listen to those idiots. But there will be a next time because on the whole, it was a great experience. Definitely something I could not have done two years ago. I was damn near last place, but I finished.

We stayed after to watch the pros race. They are like gazelles flying through the course. It was truly amazing to watch in person. The women put on a heck of a race as well.
    Tex- Hills- a bad word in racing unless you are going downhill. Are you going to do it again?. Lol
    Btw Hill is a four letter word like snow is in Alabama. Just sayin.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I ended up ordering a Mayor V3 frame for my build. Wade...thanks for the feedback. Alex said it would ship out Monday. So far I have a bright green frame and a Mastodon Ext fork. Not a bad start. The plan is a 27.5x3.8 with possibly a fat set of 26” as a backup. Short of that, I haven’t given much thought to the rest of the build

It won’t be a quick build but I’ll post updates.

mtbr member
    I ended up ordering a Mayor V3 frame for my build. Wade...thanks for the feedback. Alex said it would ship out Monday. So far I have a bright green frame and a Mastodon Ext fork. Not a bad start. The plan is a 27.5x3.8 with possibly a fat set of 26” as a backup. Short of that, I haven’t given much thought to the rest of the build

It won’t be a quick build but I’ll post updates.
    Terry....good choice. RSD makes excellent bikes. If i werent on a fixed retirement I'd have a mayor, even though its from Canada.....lol
    Keep us posted. Wade will be waiting with postum baited breath.

Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Dave's funeral was a bunch of firefighters standing around remembering and busting balls. It's always fun. We saw Dave off in style. RIP brother.

No ride today, I had other things to get done. The funeral, some painting in the house and we went to see A Star is Born. A very good movie. It will win something.

Texmex, ride and learn, that's all we can do right? Congrats and staying with it and finishing.

Old Bear, while we talk on FB I'm glad your feeling better. Hang tough.

Wade provides all us novices a great sounding board for things ridden. Thanks for that Wade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, just back from a ride on the local trails with my youngest son. I was great to see the new Stumpjumper being ridden how it was supposed to. My son was popping off jumps throwing wips and having a great time. The only time dear old dad showed the way was on the up hills I am sure if he rides more with me it won't be long before he has me covered there too. And Banshee my progression will be very slow

Chief another sad day, but it seems like you and your mates sent your friend out in style and with love. That was a great ride report the other day too, great colours and deer too.

Tex glad to see that you finished the race and found all the fun you hoped for. Yes other riders can give you a bum steer in these events, either through ignorance or just trying to convince themselves they can finish. Always hard to pace yourself early, the charity ride that I do every year sees those that maybe don't know the road fly out of the gates. And the tortoise in my spends the rest of the day reeling them in. Always handy to find a bunch just a little fitter or faster than you and tag on the back.

Old bear is back up again hope it stays that way mate. Yes summer is here in OZ, Thursday, Friday and Saturday hit temps in the 37 dec C (98F) way above ave for this time of year. A cool change came through last night and the temps are much better but my son and I were sweating buckets with the high humidity on our ride this morning. My late father in law was in my mind when I first built the Orange Troll to ride to work. His favourite colours were Orange and Green so I built it with a green headset and pedals. They are now on the black frame and I still think of him when I look at them.

Yes if you are out there Pepper drop us a line, hope everything is ok. DH too how is the desert riding going?

Just had a look and my ride log for the last three months and with our trip to Europe and various illness and operations its been terrible. I am well short of last years mileage and will need to take the CC out for a few long rides over the next month to get back to full fitness. Still its all about enjoyment not miles at the end of the day.

OZ.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Checking in. No riding since the Pine Barrens adventure. Playing backyard car mechanic for my Mom's Saturn L300. Timing belt change/water pump/thermostat, housing and pipe. Which means pretty much the entire top of the engine manifolding must come off. Along the way you see things, like the gorilla at the repari shop who overtightened the oil filter canister housing, so when you go to take the cap off to change the oil filter, the entire assembly spins. Does this sound exciting to any of you? I didn't think so. The car has been up on the jackstands since I tackled this job last April. Then Dad passed, the weather was off and on hot rainy or steamy, and the weather since labor day has been more miss then hit.

Looks like everyone is doing well, which is good. Hope to have a ride report sometime this week worth talking about...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallooo!

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Oldbear. Stomach/intestine troubles suck big time—I went through six years of battling ulcerative colitis, believe me I don't wish that stuff on anyone!—and I'm glad you're through your bout. It's just a misery.

Good to hear from everyone else too, as always. Fall settling in, Time jump to standard time, etc, often slows down the activity on cycles and motorcycles, but I'm pushing it this year as far as I can go with an every-day-but-one-per-week ride plan. We'll see how it works out.

---
    The additions to my workout regimen are really working me and waking up muscles I didn't know I had. Some soreness in the inner groin as a couple of those unused muscles are getting hit now, but it will pass as the muscles awaken and get used to doing some work again (if they ever did! ). The ouchy feeling descends right down into ... Uh, that's probably getting a bit TMI. Suffice it to say that the discomfort is minor and passes overnight with a little rest, although my muscles are beginning to get that nice "oh I need a stretch to wake up because I'm not used to not working" feel.

It didn't stop me from a 17 mile ride yesterday around the usual loop for the Saturday Morning Breakfast Ride. Another chilly morning start at 51°F, that's borderline for wanting a light pair of overpants or full leg cycling pants but I knew it'd warm up quickly. It did, and I almost took off my jersey a bit later on as I returned home. The day ultimately warmed up to about 82°F, very warm for this time of year. The ride was fast, I'm getting lots of energy out of this exercise regimen as well as finding I'm not as hungry when I sit down to a meal.

Life is good. Keeping it going ...

onwards.
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I ride on the street and see people, things, places in the urban landscape that hit me now and then. During Halloween week, I was testing the new old Leica R6.2 camera that I picked up for a song, carrying it on most rides. I finished the roll on Saturday and processed it, and found I had six photos I liked...

You can see these photos in a Flickr album at a larger size:
    Bicycle Cafe Sprinting 2018

Needless to say, the old camera is working beautifully and is a real pleasure to shoot with. It's a bit bulky and heavy to carry, but my small sling bag does it without too much annoyance.

---
    Yesterday's ride was a fast blitz around my usual loop for a cup of coffee and back. A fast twelve miles again, made me feel great. I love to ride!

onwards!
    G

G, nice shots, as always. Black and white photos bring about a certain artistic flair to them compared to color. Like Surly, I enjoy the eye you bring to this thread with your photos.

Some belated notes:

Chief: Sorry for your loss of a good friend. I think G said it best a few posts back about remembrance of those who have passed. Before the snow flies, we need to do that ride we've always had on the schedule, but always fell through due to circumstance. Let me know here or via pm.....

Tex: Congrats on completing your race, well done indeed. Enjoying your photos from the autumnal midwest. Here back east, the weather has been so crap, we've haved few of the glorious sun filled days of autumns past. Just one rain system after another. This does not bode well for the winter to come.

Bear: Good to hear you back posting and losing the weight. Well done and congrats on seeing it through. Loved your last, about the family-thing. Like you, there are so many who no longer post, I miss hearing of their exploits and adventures, triumphs and failures and everyday life things in between. Thinking of Robert who has been absent now for a good many years now. Dr Pepper. Cold Trigger Finger. So many others. I hope they are all fine and doing well.

Wade: Hope you are managing well now, that the snow pack is not too deep and that you are able to get out when you can.

Surly In Oz: Enjoyed as always the latest to come from down under. You as well as G have helped keep this thing going with some great commentary and pictures along the way. Keep them coming my friend.

DirtyHun: Your wit and wisdom (as well as some fetching desert photos) are missed on these boards. Hope all is well, that the move is complete and was a total success. Would love to hear of your fatbiking exploits as well as any hikes you've been doing.

Terry66: Another old name who has come back! Do you still have the Fatboy?

4:49 pm and it's rainy, gray, cold and near dark, thanks to the change of clocks to fall one hour behind. Now begins the 6 months of darkness, lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks Mike!

I snapped a 'current' beauty shot of FCC yesterday while out on my ride, stopping for the moment on the rail overpass at Hedding & Bellarmine HS:

(full size: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1970/...3e802c8c_o.jpg)

I'm just as in love with this bicycle today as I was the day I first rode it, if not more!

G

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike...I do still have the Fatboy. I'll probably keep it for the short term and use it when the snow gets deep.

The new green Mayor frame should be here in the next day or two. Alex says it is shipping with the ZS44/EC44 Cane Creek headset. I am putting together a list of components that I want to use. The plan is to have "The Hulkinator" done by end of the year.

mtbr member
    Mike we do need to get the ride in. I'm away all weekend, birthday weekend at the beach fishing with friends. Hopefully the weather holds up enough fro us to get it in.
    I got a ride in today with my wife around town. Trails are wet from 2 days of on and off, torrential downpours at times rain. Looks like Friday is wet too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo!

No ride yesterday (I'm sort of adopting Wednesdays as my "no ride" day off, so that I have time to do things around the house like my piano practice and photo work... Yeah, I have other interests in addition to the bicycle riding, eh? ). But Tuesday I took a nice 16 miler, down to San Jose and my favorite Caffe Frascati there, to enjoy a nice spinach/feta cheese croissant for lunch with their house mocha espresso blend. So darn good!

While there, I saw a guy sitting with a folded bicycle and realized the bicycle was the same as the one my partner has ... a Blix foldable ebike! They're pretty cool little machines. So I said hello, and we talked for a minute while I waited for my lunch. I didn't want to sit in the cafe since it was so nice outside, and went out to sit down and eat.

He came outside to get ready to head on which his day and engaged me again for a few minutes. Just as he was going to leave, he says, "Oh, btw: My name is Steve," and offers his hand to shake.

"Oh yeah, I always forget: Godfrey here." And I shake his hand. His eyes widen and he backs up a little, fumbles out his wallet.

"You're the first other Godfrey I've met!" he says, showing me his driver's license. 'Steven Wayne Godfrey' is his full name.

"LOL .. Well, Hello Fellow Sufferer! It's my first name, but I understand your pain!" I grinned. "So of course this means I must get a photo of us together." He smiled.

Fat Biking and health-000-two_godfreys.jpg

I got ready to leave and we stepped over to where my bike was locked up. "Wow! Those tires are HUGE! I have to take a photo of you!"

"Sure, send me a copy ... I'll send you a copy of our portrait too." I got his email address, and then he snapped a photo.

Fat Biking and health-godfrey_n_fcc-001.jpg

Now that was fun. It was a fine ride home afterwards!

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Hallo!

No ride yesterday (I'm sort of adopting Wednesdays as my "no ride" day off, so that I have time to do things around the house like my piano practice and photo work... Yeah, I have other interests in addition to the bicycle riding, eh? ). But Tuesday I took a nice 16 miler, down to San Jose and my favorite Caffe Frascati there, to enjoy a nice spinach/feta cheese croissant for lunch with their house mocha espresso blend. So darn good!

While there, I saw a guy sitting with a folded bicycle and realized the bicycle was the same as the one my partner has ... a Blix foldable ebike! They're pretty cool little machines. So I said hello, and we talked for a minute while I waited for my lunch. I didn't want to sit in the cafe since it was so nice outside, and went out to sit down and eat.

He came outside to get ready to head on which his day and engaged me again for a few minutes. Just as he was going to leave, he says, "Oh, btw: My name is Steve," and offers his hand to shake.

"Oh yeah, I always forget: Godfrey here." And I shake his hand. His eyes widen and he backs up a little, fumbles out his wallet.

"You're the first other Godfrey I've met!" he says, showing me his driver's license. 'Steven Wayne Godfrey' is his full name.

"LOL .. Well, Hello Fellow Sufferer! It's my first name, but I understand your pain!" I grinned. "So of course this means I must get a photo of us together." He smiled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000-two_godfreys.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	1224014

I got ready to leave and we stepped over to where my bike was locked up. "Wow! Those tires are HUGE! I have to take a photo of you!"

"Sure, send me a copy ... I'll send you a copy of our portrait too." I got his email address, and then he snapped a photo.

Name:	Godfrey_n_FCC-001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	498.8 KB 
ID:	1224015

Now that was fun. It was a fine ride home afterwards!

onwards,
    G
    G.
    Great pics and story. We can always count on you for some interesting stuff.

Not much happening here except for a bit of fatty evangelism. Had a neighbor stop by and wanted to know about my GBEM Pro. Blue was sitting there looking all handsome and burly. I explained to him about the smiles factor and then Young bear rode up. David (young bear) asked him if he'd like to try our bikes. Where we live our mobile home park has a gravel driveway. Lennie took Ryback around the loop and came back smiling. Then i let him ride blue. The smile even got bigger. I went over to his house and he ordered a GBEM X5. They opened up the rear triangle to 197 to handle a 5" tire. I just mighr save up for one myself. The bluto would fit nicely. Lol

I rode out towards the Florida line today. 25 miles total. Mostly gravel. Fun times.

So for now I'm going to let you all ride.

Until Later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A gravel Saturday...

Hi everyone welcome to the weekend, I took your advice Oldbear and went for a ride this morning Great to hear you spreading the fat bike love around. Seems like you might have a new ride buddy there.

G a nice collection of images the last few rides, often think about buying a roll or two of film to shoot with, but the Digital stuff is so good these days. Still the B/W film has a very nice look about it thats hard to get with Digital.

As for this mornings ride I wanted to avoid traffic and decided to take the Troll mark two out for a spin. I ordered a 27.5 wheel set yesterday so I will get a few rides in before the change over to see what the differences are.

A beautiful day ended up being a twenty odd km ride with about fifteen of that on gravel. The Farley certainly eat's these lumpy roads much better than the 2.25 inch Schwables, but the Troll was moving a lot faster.

Fat Biking and health-img_2393.jpg

In no time at all I had reached the end of the road and without Farley time to stop and enjoy the beautiful view.

Fat Biking and health-img_2424.jpg

A few glamour shots before we turn for home.

Fat Biking and health-img_2408.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_2423.jpg

A lot of the roads have been resurfaced in time for the summer season, and made for an easy ride.

Fat Biking and health-img_2428.jpg

I was keeping an eye along the road as I ran right over a Red Belly Black Snake on the track a few years ago, lucky he seemed ok and decided not to bite me Still I need to check the grass as I stop to take another photo of the green and orange.

Fat Biking and health-img_2437.jpg

Might not get to ride Sunday, hope you all do.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi everyone welcome to the weekend, I took your advice Oldbear and went for a ride this morning Great to hear you spreading the fat bike love around. Seems like you might have a new ride buddy there.

G a nice collection of images the last few rides, often think about buying a roll or two of film to shoot with, but the Digital stuff is so good these days. Still the B/W film has a very nice look about it thats hard to get with Digital.

As for this mornings ride I wanted to avoid traffic and decided to take the Troll mark two out for a spin. I ordered a 27.5 wheel set yesterday so I will get a few rides in before the change over to see what the differences are.

A beautiful day ended up being a twenty odd km ride with about fifteen of that on gravel. The Farley certainly eat's these lumpy roads much better than the 2.25 inch Schwables, but the Troll was moving a lot faster.

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	603.3 KB 
ID:	1224256

In no time at all I had reached the end of the road and without Farley time to stop and enjoy the beautiful view.

Name:	IMG_2424.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	344.6 KB 
ID:	1224257

A few glamour shots before we turn for home.

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	1224258

Name:	IMG_2423.jpg 
Size:	522.8 KB 
ID:	1224259

A lot of the roads have been resurfaced in time for the summer season, and made for an easy ride.

Name:	IMG_2428.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	440.9 KB 
ID:	1224260

I was keeping an eye along the road as I ran right over a Red Belly Black Snake on the track a few years ago, lucky he seemed ok and decided not to bite me Still I need to check the grass as I stop to take another photo of the green and orange.

Name:	IMG_2437.jpg 
Size:	689.7 KB 
ID:	1224261

Might not get to ride Sunday, hope you all do.

OZ.
    L
    Oz..... Ugh skinny tires!!! Lol. Just joking sweet ride...

Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks OZ!

My film usage nowadays is a few rolls of 35mm a year, a couple less 120 rolls, and a dozen or so packs of instant film. All B&W usually (except the instant film). That's not a lot of exposures compared to even casual use of any one of my digital cameras...! But film remains special to me, and as you say has a look that is not really possible to simulate 100%. I enjoy it, which is the bottom line rather than any performance criterium.

---
    Yesterday and today, the smoke from fires up to 100 miles away has been blanketing the SF Bay Area very thickly, to the point where I have minimized my rides so as not to breathe in so much of it. Yesterday I did about 12 miles on a fast ride, today it was 15 miles. This morning's ride had the added entertainment of being in 42°F weather... It was a bit chilly!

You can see all the smoke in the air in this photo with it just beginning to clear enough to let the sun through over on the left (south-east) of the frame:

I enjoyed both rides nonetheless, and it's making me think I'll likely need to get some leggings and maybe a heavier weight jersey sooner rather than later. My riding overpants/exercise pants from last year are way too big on me now ... This makes me pretty happy.

When I got to breakfast this morning, given the temps outside I'd just run through, I was amused to see that I had the same number on my server locator gizmo:

Either that, or a bicycle ride to Panera for breakfast and coffee really is The Answer to Life, The Universe, And Everything. But I tend to doubt it.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hmm. Quiet here for a couple of days.

The SF Bay Area has been very smokey. I've gone for a ride every day, but have been limiting my exposure to an hour or so. I'm lucky in that I have no respiratory problems and can deal with it in short bursts. The air seemed a bit clearer this morning, but this afternoon it grew thick again.

I cannot help but think of and feel compassion for the people who have lost their homes, their possessions, and—for some—far more than that in the wild fires both in Northern and Southern California. The small town of Paradise (mostly populated by retired folks) up north by Chico is all but totally destroyed. Several hundred people are missing; a couple of dozen are known dead. My friend in Malibu was evacuated several days ago, he and his wife still do not know for sure whether there is anything left of their home. Other friends of mine have been living with masks on to prevent too much smoke inhalation for their fragile lungs.

Truly a cataclysmic time.

---
    Today's ride was another one of my extended standard loops. I rode past two schools as the children were let out and their parents sequestered them quickly into enormous SUVs and drove them home to hide indoors from the smoke. The roads and sidewalks were mostly empty feeling. There was a touch of fear in the air; so sad.

I thought of Armistice Day as I rode, and it's new name Veteran's Day. I thought of all the men and women who have given their lives in service to protect our freedom over the course of the past century. I thought of my departed friend Virginia, herself a veteran of WWII, gone these sixteen years now. And I remembered the several friends of mine from high school and college who didn't survive uninjured the conflagration in Southeast Asia that ended in such disgrace and sadness.

And my eyes were tearing from the smoke and the memories.

Until I remembered the words that I always must read and reflect upon on Veterans Day, because they inspire me as no other words of this day ever can:

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth."

Gettysburg, Virginia —Thursday, November 19, 1863
    President Abraham Lincoln

And I rode on in peace until I returned home.

onwards. ever onwards.
    G

mtbr member
    The fires are hard to fathom. There are already some charities with boots on the ground to help the displaced. What would you do if your house and/or your employer burned down? People will need help getting back on their feet. Ohio is pretty much a natural disaster-free zone. We get small Tornadoes once in a while, but no hurricanes, earthquakes, tidal waves, wildfires or anything like it. We get an occasional small localized flood. I am OK with it.

I took a couple days off after the race, but I really didn't feel too bad. I waited to ride because I was waiting for new tires to come in. I got them installed tubeless and like how they feel. It took a while to get it to seal up and I lost a little pressure overnight. Not sure what is considered normal. I added a little sealant and shook it up more. We will see how it goes. My wife and I went for a beach cruise yesterday and were stopped by some joggers asking questions about our bikes. We let them take a spin. I suspect we have two more converts.

I am traveling in Indiana. I arrived at a trail to do a night ride just in time for some freezing rain to start... definitely not a good night to ride so I called it off. Live to ride another day. The trail is pretty rooty. Dry roots are tricky, wet roots are sketchy, icy roots are not for me.

mtbr member
    Hidee ho!

Been a couple day since i shared that little post to Oz..sorry mate. I hope you're
    not mad at the bear. We all have our favorite rides and Oz surely has the Surly bug bad. Lol. I mean his reports are always excellent. Please Oz I do apologize.

Last night, over on Facebook I started a new group... "Fat Biking and Health". Maybe we all could contribute to it and show the Facebook world that the fat bike lifestyle is here to stay. Please if you're on Facebook join it. I am going to post there tonight.

Recently, I bought a scale. A nice digital one that actually self calibrates. Well there is some great news. For the first time since 2014 I am sub 220! 218 to be exact. Fat biking works even for us old duffers. I can actually see my lap when I'm sitting down and even Young Bear noticed it.

It has been raining since Sunday. Not a cold rain either. But someone has a Mayor and Sarge doing some overtime snow dances that effect us. Except it comes here as rain. Lol Wade you gotta slow those two down!!!8

We are hoping to get a ride in tomorrow. But monsoon season seems to be here. *raindrops keep falling on my head*

I guess I've bored you all long enough.

Postscript:

Wade, Mike, Tex and chief, please post!!!

Until Later
    The Oldbear Clan way down south
    In the land of cotton..(thanks George Root)

Hi Old Bear and Hi to the Fat Biking and Health gang!

Well let's see. I did 2 twenty mile runs up to Lock 1 at Bordentown on the old Delaware and Raritan Canal, up to the end at Trenton, NJ, Duck Island, oh, back to back days this past Sunday and Friday. Easy pedaling on the Haibike all the way. The ground here is oversaturated with water from the heavy rains of the past several months. Last night it looks like we got an inch or two more, judging by the standing water all around here.

If this weather ever clears up I want to get back into my riding routine and reports back here. My planned fall foliage runs and photo journey's went out the window as I needed to get Mom's car finished up before the really cold and nasty weather decided to settle in for good here.

Northeaster coming our way for Thursday, put us here on the Delware River side of the state on the line between ice/snow and rain to the east of us. Right sick and tired of this rain and crap weather; sure wish there were a way we can send it to our friends and fellow countrymen women and children who are experiencing hell on earth in California right now.

Old Bear, I'm not on Facebook, but I'll be here. Congrats on the weight loss, that is fantastic news! Wishing all the best to you and the clan; it sounds like you are managing well these days and I am happy to hear that.

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo!

No ride today, I went to see a movie and have a bunch of other stuff going on, as well as dinner plans. It was a chilly day, and I'll be riding a longish ride tomorrow, so this is my weekly "day off".

Oldbear, I've got an FB account but I almost never go there. I find FB rather unpleasant and confusing. I'll stick to here.

I had a moment a few weeks back and tossed every jacket, vest, and pair of trousers that no longer fit me. That left me with two vests, a rain shell, and three pair of trousers. Hmm. Winter's almost here and even in California I need some kind of jacket for the colder/wetter days. I decided on a pretty "normal" fleece lined short jacket and was puzzled as I looked down the sizing/dimensions chart. I haven't worn anything under a 3XL in a jacket in more than a decade. Took a chance and ordered an XL by the numbers, figuring I'd see how it fit and exchange it for a 2XL if it was too snug.

It fits perfectly, and with a little room to spare. Life is good.

Still smokey out there, but a little less today. Hopefully it'll be a touch warmer tomorrow and a little less smokey again.

onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hidee ho!

Been a couple day since i shared that little post to Oz..sorry mate. I hope you're
    not mad at the bear. We all have our favorite rides and Oz surely has the Surly bug bad. Lol. I mean his reports are always excellent. Please Oz I do apologize.

Last night, over on Facebook I started a new group... "Fat Biking and Health". Maybe we all could contribute to it and show the Facebook world that the fat bike lifestyle is here to stay. Please if you're on Facebook join it. I am going to post there tonight.

Recently, I bought a scale. A nice digital one that actually self calibrates. Well there is some great news. For the first time since 2014 I am sub 220! 218 to be exact. Fat biking works even for us old duffers. I can actually see my lap when I'm sitting down and even Young Bear noticed it.

It has been raining since Sunday. Not a cold rain either. But someone has a Mayor and Sarge doing some overtime snow dances that effect us. Except it comes here as rain. Lol Wade you gotta slow those two down!!!8

We are hoping to get a ride in tomorrow. But monsoon season seems to be here. *raindrops keep falling on my head*

I guess I've bored you all long enough.

Postscript:

Wade, Mike, Tex and chief, please post!!!

Until Later
    The Oldbear Clan way down south
    In the land of cotton..(thanks George Root)
    Fred, I would like to actually be able to observe Global Fatbike Day properly this year! Wouldn't it be nice if the date was properly set into winter enough to make snow a part of such a hollerday? Besides, the Mayor finally passed the Remedial Snowdancing class.

With now two wheel sets for the Mayor, I can swap from the Rolling Darryls to the Snowshoes in minutes! Was a great find at the loco sporting goods consignment store... A pair of Surly Snowshoe rims with brand spanking new Bud/Lou for $150. Finally raided some Hope FatSno hubs and broke out the spoke collection along with some purple nipples and a little while later, a pair of wheels appeared outta nowhere!

The interesting thing was how well the Bud/Lou actually ride on 100mm rims as opposed to 80's. It was a pleasant surprise that these tires actually roll very nicely @5f, 6r. Handling felt more in line with a +bike than a fatbike with the wider rims and 4.8's with their aggressive snow lugs that typically offer up a ton of rolling resistance. Going out in the powdery sand was the opportunity to discover the floatation of a 4.8 on a wider rim without dropping from 5/6 psi.
    It was an eye opener as it was not necessary to air down for much of the sand ride. I did try a few climbs that were amazingly improved with 3psi in both tires. Still haven't mounted the 2XL's on em yet. That will be another time at which, conditions might benefit by a pair of 5.05's at 2 psi.

The next item on the list for the Mayor is a Wren 120mm travel fork. But that too is for another day...

lol @Mike!!!

I spent Monday replacing tierod ends, ball joints, wheel bearings and setting the alignment on my Jeep. 2 hours and a buncha parts later, the test drive and center the steering wheel. No more wandering on the roads with hefty wagon ruts! Drives like a new car.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey all....not a lot of progress on the new build. I pressed in the headset, installed the Race Face Bottom Bracket and put on the custom "Hulk" graphics on the downtube. Hoping to install the Mastodon, RF crankset and direct mount chainring this weekend. I'll try to get a pic posted this weekend.

Still not sure on the shifter/derailleur combo...leaning towards 1x11 GX as that is what I have on my Timberjack.

Wade: Old technology is the best technology when it comes to driveway shade tree mechanics. This Saturn L300 has a fancy dual overhead cam V6 over engineered by the Germans at Opel. I actually paid my neighbor pro mechanic to do the actual timing belt change, as I became very leery in getting the proper belt tensioning on those overhead camshaft pulleys, etc. The car had a long time anti freeze leak. I suspected a leaking oil cooler (engineered in the bottom of the vee, requiring the complete removal of the upper and lower intake manifolds, various brackets on the sides of the heads, etc. I changed the thermostat, again they engineered into the very bottom of the v. There is a o-ringed pipe that connects to this thermostat....in order to remove that pipe, so you can remove the thermostat, first you have to remove the radiator, which of course means removing the fan in back of the radiator and the transmission cooler lines, lower and upper hose, overflow hose, yada yada yada...... My Dad had a shop over in PA replace the timing belt and since that is getting done, the water pump as well as this is standard practice for a timing belt change.

Inspecting the job this mechanic in PA did, we found he did not tension the tensioner pulley correct and he did not change out the water pump as the pump o-ring to block seal was completely flattened out. Me hopes this was the location of the antifreeze leak, all hidden of course by the timing belt cover and the engine mount. Everything had to be put back in the order it came off, as I learned the hard way on several instances here.

Had a front lower fog light on my Fiat 500 Abarth burned out last fall. To change the ball requires removing the entire lower front nose cover....just to change the bulb.

If I was smart, I'd have simply looked for an early 70's Chevelle or El Camino and dispensed with all of this OBD-II, over engineered nonsense for the trade off of some 5-10 mpg difference. I'd have less gray hair today, for sure.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Unfortunately, these damn cars are a pita! My Yota had the water pump fail this summer. Of course, the watering pump is driven by none other than the timing belt, thus I threaten to throw a Chevy LS in place of the Vsick! After checking the age of the timing belt, I opted to order a timing kit and replace the belt, tensioner pulley, idler pulley along with the hydraulic tensioner during the pump replacement. The good news, the pump is lifetime warranty and the supply house handed a fresh pump without question at no charge.

I did the timing belt on a late model Ouchee, uh, Audi. Was a pita. Had to remove the nose of the friggen car to do the job. Cam seals, crank seals, water pump, hydraulic tensioner and complete timing kit into this one. Dealer parts for the pump and tensioner was in order. The dealer quoted 4k for this job!
    I was paid 12 hours for the project which actually took 8 hours cause I didn't discount AC lines and have to deal with evacuation and recovery of refrigerant and recharging AC.

Always replace the water pump along with idler and tensioner pulleys and you won't bend or break valves and pistons on the interstate! That is the price that might come to pass if peeps get cheap about it. And for Pete's sake, don't forget crank and cam seals... $20 well spent on those items.

70's Elcamino = 12-15 mpg and damn fun acceleration that todays cars will provide with 50k outta pocket!

Terry, go with what you have on your other bike! You'll be glad you did as both will have a similar feel and performance in the driveline aspect. I did this with my three RSD's for that reason.

On another front, Sarge changed from his gravel tires to his XC tires this week for some dirt play while keeping his light n svelte feel and performance. In the not so distant future, I hope to have a pair of 45Nrth Vanhelga's for him to try on. Those just released in a 27.5 x 4 format so, dunno if they will work out, although Sarge can wear 3.8's. *Fingers crossed*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Old Bear no offence taken, I mean I ride steel bikes, a fat bike and a folding bike nothing offends me well maybe riding in sandals Sorry I don't have facebook so I cannot help there. Might find a new crowd who have not found this place yet.

G those are real nasty fires, my thoughts to those affected by them. Hope the winds drop off and some rain from Mikes way heads over. And 42 is the answer to everything

Glad to hear the about your weight loss, thats the key to it is to find some form of exercise that you enjoy and the rest comes much easier. Our gym at work recently installed a Pilates Reformer machine and I am loving it. Its really made going to the gym fun and its a great workout. Still learning all the moves for it, but with my limited skills and in only a week or so I can feel it working areas I have not touched in ages.

Mike and Banshee, I wish I had the know how to work on cars, my late father in law was brilliant at all things mechanical. These days apart from topping up oil I send the wife's car to the workshop, hope you catch a break in the weather to get some riding in.

Terry if you are happy with the Nx stuff I would run with that, look forward to the weekends build report

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Oz man down...

Hi everyone a ride report from this morning, and a Fat Bike one at that Old Bear I sent the wife off to work and was debating which bike to ride. It was either a nice long ride on the CC or a spin on Farley on the local single track. Both of these have been neglected the last few weeks. I ended up going out on Farley and was thinking of doing a lap of the trails and popping home and then switching over to the Stumpjumper.

It took a few minutes to get the head around riding the fat bike again. Soon enough I was enjoying the traction and the day, which I am sorry to say Mike was blue sky and a cooling breeze from the south. I headed straight to the top of the best downhill trail conveniently marked by a rather large rock.

Fat Biking and health-img_2444.jpg

I stopped along parts of the trail to clear some new growth from trees burnt in last summers back burn. The new shoots are encroaching onto what is already narrow single track. I might take a few tools up on the weekend and make a proper job of it.

Most of the trails are their usual bone dry self.

Fat Biking and health-img_2450.jpg

Not a lot of flow on these trails but fun to have at my back door.

Fat Biking and health-img_2455.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_2456.jpg

When I made it back to the top of the hill I turned left to a section of trail were the local kids have built some jumps, thought I would have a look and bring my son back this afternoon when he finishes work if the jumps were in good nick.

Well I never made it that far, dropping down the top part of the track I took the left hand side of the trail to avoid the roots on the right and next thing I know I am flying over the front wheel and meeting the ground hard on my right shoulder and leg.

Fat Biking and health-img_2458.jpg

I lay there for a minute wondering how that happened and working out what hurts, right knee, left hand and I gave my head a good whack too. First time in a long time I have had a stack and my hardest hit too. Glad that I was wearing a helmet as it has a nasty gouge in it and will need replacing. I was looking a buying some light knee pads a few months ago but put it off because I did not think I would need them, even a light pair would have saved my knee, something to revisit.

I was not traveling fast, just starting to pick up speed at the top of the trail when my front wheel found a root that was cut and pointing up the trail at just the right angle to stop my wheel dead in its tracks. The last three times I have been over the bars I have managed to land on my feet. This time it was so quick I don't think I even got my hands off the bars to break my fall. A nice little reminder to show a little care when riding alone.

Fat Biking and health-img_2459.jpg

Still it could have been worse as I landed just short of a nasty tree stump that had some very pointy sharp bits.

So the ride was over as I headed home to clean up, I will give the bike a once over this afternoon to make sure its safe, as the gear shifting was a little funky on the way home.

Stay safe out there, I might ride the CC next time

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Wade...keep me posted if you go with the VanHelgas. They look like a pretty awesome tire. I’m going with the 27.5 Mulefut 80s. I rode a Beargrease with the Mule 80/Minion combo. Still haven’t decided on a tire.

Oz..I think I’ll stick with the GX. Although I’ve never ridden an NX rear mech.

Crashing gets worse the older we get. I usually have at least one hard spill every year. Rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Terry, sorry I miss read that bit with the GX and NX. My Monkey is running 12 speed GX, my sons new Stumpjumper has the 12 speed NX and I cannot tell the difference. Only had the stumpy a few weeks so the jury is still out on longer term differences.

And yes rubber side down is the preferred method

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    OZ: Sorry to hear about your get off, I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.

---
    The smoke seemed to be clearing this morning. I took FCC up to Cupertino to my dental appointment ... six and a half miles uphill in 24 minutes! ... a new crown ready to fit on my upper left second molar. Ah, nice! Fitted beautifully, very little adjustment needed. My dentist and I spend a half hour going over FCC at his office, he was fascinated by it.

And decided to take a completely different route home, running down a parallel track to the way I'd gone up to Cupertino and going over the very high bike/ped crossing bridge. It was fun.

Later on, the winds shifted again and the smoke returned, thicker than before. blech. Hope for better air tomorrow..

onwards!
    G

Surly In Oz: Ouch, that hurts even halfway round the world. Glad to here that nothing major was broken on you or the bike and a good testament again for riding with a helmet. And enjoy that weather! Dark, gray 0730 hours as I type this out to you, with some kind of ice/snow/rain event all bunched up in a northeaster headed our way...like we needed more rain! Recalling past conversations you mentioned your next bike being electric. Something still on your plate in the near term? Ride safe, be well and as always, I enjoy the ride reports and commentary!!!

Wade: What model Audi was that? After paying near 800 bucks for a VW tech to change my New Beetle TDI timing belt, I bought the special cam locking tools to do the job myself. Just like the Saturn, off comes the front engine mount, requiring the engine be supported by a jack underneath. I recall my water pump was showing signs of leakage so in went a new pump as well. On the Saturn, I did not change the cam and crank seals though that is the most prudent option to do. The seals here were bone dry though the water pump showed water had leaked onto the main crank gear. When I saw the round o-ring that seals the pump to the block, I kinda got a bit peeved as I know my Dad paid that shop mechanic to replace the water pump when he had the timing belt done about 3 years ago.The seal had been so compressed from sitting there for 16 years, there was no seal extended beyond the ring groove to even hint at sealing!

This is the reason why I always tried to do as much as I can for my cars as well as for my parent's cars; the fact that it's hard to trust anyone these days to get the job done right.

I wonder how this translates over to local bike shops.....hmmm.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz...I ran into the guy who owns the local Spec dealer on the trail a couple of weeks ago. He was riding a new Stumpy. I think his was a 27.5? Really nice bike. Is yours a 29 or 27.5?

mtbr member
    Back home in Ohio it was cold nearly freezing rai,n but in Michigan where I am traveling this week it was all snow. I bagged my first snow ride of the season and it was beautiful. I had to wear high visibility orange vest because it is Deer Hunting season up here. I heard one shot in the far far distance at the end of my ride when I was packing up. My tubeless is losing a little air overnight, but I haven't want to tackle trying to find and fix it. So I just pumped it up. Fat Biking and health-img_4160.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4157.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4156.jpg
    I finally am starting to figure out that it is OK to be a little cold at the start of the ride to not overcook, but I would not say I have it dialed, of course dropping temperatures make a moving target. These guys that do long winter races leave a lot more obstacles to overcome than just pedaling, that's for sure Fat Biking and health-img_4161.jpg

TexMex: Nice snow shots! This morning, I checked on Accuweather and it advised me that in 108 minutes, snow was soon to fall.....so I said, well, let's do a Lock 1 ride and see what happens!

Destination: Homebase to Bordentown, NJ and Lock 1, D&R Canal, up to the northern towpath end at Duck Island, Trenton, NJ then back to homebase.

Weather: Cloudy, 32 degrees. Chance of snow.
    Avg Speed/Max Speed: 11.9/23.4 mph
    Total Miles: 18.6
    Odometer: 5784 miles
    Battery Pct Remaining: 46%

Notes: In the end, we got near 4 inches plus of snow. I was lucky that the run was completed, the bike washed and wiped down and put away as the first snowflakes started to fall.........Cold weather. For the first 4 miles or so, my eyes were just teared up from the cold so I must figure out some kind of goggles to wear. At the towpath, my eyes stopped tearing......
    Fat Biking and health-100_3530.jpg
    At Crystal Lake Park off Axe Factory Road, a solitary deer....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3531.jpg
    Same location, with the deer just a speck in the background.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3532.jpg
    Crystal Lake Park, heading west towards the park's parking lot
    Fat Biking and health-100_3535.jpg
    Just off the parking lot, this dirt road I always take has been so saturated with rain that the dirt road is a muddy mess in spots....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3534.jpg
    So instead, I took the designated horse path that runs closest to the northern wooded area. This path will lead me to the Route 130 Park access parking lot.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3536.jpg
    Near the Route 130 access, an aerial map of the biking and walking paths in the forest just south of Crystal Lake.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3538.jpg
    Exit the parking lot, cross the northbound Route 130 lanes to access the southbound side, then head north, against traffic. I found this to be a safer alternative than going in the northbound lanes, then having to cross these two lanes to get onto the left turn onto Burlington Road at Fieldsboro......

next up: Lock 1 towpath.....

Part 2--Race against the snow--ride to Lock 1 and back

Fat Biking and health-100_3539.jpg
    At Bordentown, NJ, the walking path onto the New Jersey Transit RiverLine light rail, former Pennsylvania Railroad/Penn Central/Conrail railroad freight line with an approaching southbound to Camden, NJ RiverLine light rail engine set. This locomotive is going to stop a few hundred feet to the south of me at the Bordentown Station.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3541.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3542.jpg
    Lock 1, Delaware and Raritan Canal, lock chamber walking bridge. I'm actually standing on a concrete bollard to snap the first shot. The bollard at one time, some 100 years ago, held the lines for the barges that entered and departed the lock chamber, in and out of nearby Crosswicks Creek.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3543.jpg
    On the towpath looking north....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3544.jpg
    Using telephoto, out over in the vast Abbott Marsh, our bald eagles nest appears to be empty.....for now.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3546.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3552.jpgFat Biking and health-100_3554.jpg
    End of this portion of the towpath at Duck Island. No snow yet.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3558.jpg
    Heading back. The leaves do a great job keeping the dust down. At 10 pm as I type this, the entire towpath is under snow, with a cold rain falling. I expect the canal path will be a muddy mess in areas for a few days to come.....if we get clear weather.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oz...I ran into the guy who owns the local Spec dealer on the trail a couple of weeks ago. He was riding a new Stumpy. I think his was a 27.5? Really nice bike. Is yours a 29 or 27.5?
    Hi Terry, we brought the 29 inch version, I had demoed the last two years of Stumpjumpers with the 27.5 wheels they were better than my old 26 inch FSR but not enough to switch. For me theses 29 wheels with 2.6 inch tyres hit the sweet spot of trail riding. My son is around 6'6'' so the big wheels are perfect for him, my Monkey has 27 plus with 3'' tyres and great for a hard tail they feel a little vague compared to the 29 x 2.6. I can swap the wheels between the two bike so I might try that one day.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, thanks for your thoughts feeling ok today just a little stiff.

Tex that looks like so much fun to ride, I suppose living with it might be different.

Mike great to see you getting a ride report in before the storm. Hard to imagine going from green and pleasant looking to covered in snow in a few hours. Hope you get a few more rides in before things really turn nasty.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi Terry, we brought the 29 inch version, I had demoed the last two years of Stumpjumpers with the 27.5 wheels they were better than my old 26 inch FSR but not enough to switch. For me theses 29 wheels with 2.6 inch tyres hit the sweet spot of trail riding. My son is around 6'6'' so the big wheels are perfect for him, my Monkey has 27 plus with 3'' tyres and great for a hard tail they feel a little vague compared to the 29 x 2.6. I can swap the wheels between the two bike so I might try that one day.

OZ.
    That's interesting re: 3.0 vs. 2.6.
    I found no noticeable difference in handling between a couple 2.6 options but couldn't wait to get back on 3.0's for the additional traction, floatation and most of all... Comfort and ride being of magic carpet quality.
    The two bikes this was tested on are 27.7. One full suspension, one hardtail.

OZ, do the swap and let us know what you find. Oh yeah, we don't call ya Grace for nothing!
    It's ok to eat it once in a while. Just hope no injury other than pride...

Tex, gotta love a snow ride! Now if only we get a decent dump or three before Global Fatbike Day...
    Thanks for the pix!

Mike, nice ride and pix.

Terry, the Van Helga's are for Sarge. He has 50mm rims and I am in hopes that these are not too fat for a well spaced +bike to wear. The tread is ideal for snow and that will keep Sarge on the prowl during good snow conditions as well.
    How's that Mayor coming along?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Lovely countryside rides! And snow! Never see that around here.

The most significant feature of the past week around here has been smoke.

Yesterday morning, it looked to be clearing quite a lot. I did my morning errands (breakfast with friends at the cafe, doctor's appt, etc), arrived home for a light lunch, suited up and was off on one of my usual loops.

Fat Biking and health-20181115-todays_ride.jpg

I stopped in downtown San Jose for a cuppa at Caffe Frascati. It was a madhouse! Some big convention in town had just let out for a break and the line for my cup of coffee was twenty minutes long. But it was fun to see all the young people earnestly discussing whatever it was the convention was about. The outdoor tables cleared just as I was finished getting my coffee and bite, so I could sit down outside and chat with one of the other locals. It was a cool day, would have been lovely were if not for the fact that the smoke seemed to be thickening. Sigh.

I headed back, aiming to go through Japantown to avoid the crowds and the "Winter in the Park" exhibit construction on my usual route. Still in downtown, I was at the crossing at Julian Street on 3rd when I saw a white truck pull up to the intersection as the light turned green. I thought I heard a short horn blip, but I was busy getting on with it. A few moments later I heard my phone ring the message bell but just kept going.

Turns out a friend was on his way home and caught me as I crossed the intersection...

Fat Biking and health-000-gdg_passingjulianstreet.jpg

LOL! That's about as much wildlife as you find hereabouts. I love the juxtaposition of the signs etc. And it vets that my rearward blinker is nicely visible. (Thats at the point on the map above where the black dot is located, over on the east (right) side.)

Smoke continued to thicken as I continued homeward. And got worse after I arrived: It was truly thick and dense on the way to dinner three hours later. I hope the fires are out soon and the wind disperses this mess.

Onwards.
    G

Thanks, guys!

G: Nice ride report. What has happened and continues to happen in your state is shocking and depressing. There have been a few NJ Pine Barrens blazes that has sent the smoke smell our way here on the western side of the state; but nothing of the magnitude of what Californians are dealing with.

Surly In Oz: A cold wind has filled in for the Noreaster that departed, leaving pretty much the whole of the Atlantic Middle Coast covered in an early snow storm. I think it's a good idea to charge up the battery for my Bosch Heated Jacket and start using that for my winter clothing ensemble. I wore it a few times last winter and it does perform as advertised. Now, if only something can be done for the feet....

Strange autumn we've had here in the East. Summer heat stuck around until October, tricking the trees into remaining active; thus we still have many trees still green and holding their leaves while others have gone asleep for the winter. The problem as I see it is that with these late arriving winters, we have little to no slow warm up to spring time, instead, we have winter like weather up to near early May; when things should be ready for planting.

mtbr member
    It's been a week. I went fishing with a group of friends. We do it every tear around the Veterans Day holiday. A bunch on NJ guys, some PA guys and a friend from Mass. We fish all weekend. I had 1- 20" bass Saturday morning. We fished the tides, ate and drank well.

I'm still having BP issues, the doctor called today and we had a conversation that left me a tad shocked. I have an issue with low heart rate. The BP meds I've been on seems to promote this. I had a echocardiogram Tuesday and had to wear a Holter monitor. The doc says the med is slowing my heart down (which it's supposed to do) but it getting to slow and missing a beat here and there. He has suggested a pacemaker to help my heart out. I was shocked, I'm pretty healthy. SO that's where I may be headed. I asked about riding, keep doing what you're doing, this is a minor thing. Maybe to you was my response. SO we'll see what happens.

OZ glad to hear your OK after your fall.

G, be safe out there. Those fires are no joke. I went to a FD class about them a few years ago. It's a tough firefight for those working and living in the area. Mu thought and prayers are with them all.

Mike, GREAT ride report as usual. I got out for the first time in a week. Muddy and wet, besides the cold and wind. Gotta stay at this thought. I feel SO much better after rides. I explained that to the doc too.

I was bleeding some air off my boiler last evening and the relief valve popped spraying my left foot with HOT water. Holy crap it hurt, I have some second degree burns on my left foot that were a lot of fun to deal with last night. Feeling a little better today. Cool water and some aloe helped it a good bit.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5259.jpg

I got out for a chilly ride this afternoon, 7+ miles in 46 minutes. It was cold and wet and a tad breezy with 10 mph pretty constant and gusts a little stronger.

Stay well everyone and ride when you can, I will.

Chief: Thank you for the kind words. And dagnabbit, after Thanksgiving is over, we are to meet for a canal towpath ride, no ifs ands or buts!

Your description of your talk with your Doctor put a shock into me; let alone how you had to have felt getting that kind of diagnosis. Rest assured you are in my thoughts and prayers as more work and tests along with different meds are done for you. Keep us informed as you go along and we'll stand beside you in spirit; fighting alongside you.

Now, onto this boiler thing..... Well..... Let's see..... okay, we can start with a recommendation to seek a higher spot in your heating system to bleed off suspected air accumulation. If you have my kind of luck, when you go to trip off the boiler relief valve, you can no doubt trust that it will then do a slow leak of water onto the basement floor cause something got stuck on the valve seat and it's not coming off, no matter how many times more you open that valve to knock the offending garbage off the seat. Oh yes, indeed. Secondly, it's never a good thing to do boiler work under pressure, or electric-arc welding or chain sawing in bare feet or in flip flops!

If I recall, you took a tumble off your front porch a year or so back, into the flower garden. Now this. I think your house is trying to kill you; so maybe a call to the local priest for an exorcism might be in line!

Take care, buddy....and I really mean that!

Mike

mtbr member
    Thank you very much Mike. It means a lot. I was shocked .... pacemakers are for old people ...... I'm not old I'm only 65 and I can out ride a lot of people younger than me. But it is what it is. I'll be fine and get through this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone back from this mornings ride, a nice road ride into town and a stop at my LBS to pick out a new helmet. This one will cost me more than my last one but is much lighter and a better fit, funny you only think about your helmet when you fall on it

Chief thats not the news you want from your Doc, best wishes keep us up to date, I am sure you will fly out other the other side. Thats a nasty looking burn, and here I was thinking that only Australians do work around the place in bare feet. Good thing you have snow outside

Mike a heated jacket, I don't understand the type of cold you have to need that. This past winter at work I added a short sleeve light weight wool undershirt and a vest on top, never felt cold once Riding the bike is the same, undershirt and the coldest few weeks and only for early morning rides I will need a wind proof jacket. From now until April I will be looking to get out early to beat the heat. This morning was perfect cool winds from the south and times of very light rain that did not settle.

Hope you all enjoy the weekend.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Hey Chief!!! I'm not that old and I am on my second pacemaker. As Mama used to say "honey you're bionic or the $19000 man." i hope your foot heals fast. Prayers coming your way.

Texmex- Ah ha- now i know your real name.

Banshee: We've trained Ryback to perform anti- rain dances. Lol.

Oz i used to ride steel only. Lol. I always thought that Aluminnim was fragile.

Anyway not much to report g
    For now.

Until Later
    Oldbear

Surly In Oz: Glad you asked! Here in NJ, we have a fairly moderate climate when compared to the upper midwest states such as Minnesota, the Dakotas, etc. Up there, folks have to deal with 20-50 below zero actual temps during the worst of their winters; down here, the worst I remember was 10 below zero and that was in 1976. We're supposed to have 4 seasons here, equally spaced in time/days, but the weather has been kind of whacky lately, so the fall instead of being a time of slowly cooling temps leading into Winter, has been a continuation of summer, while the spring months have seen a continuation of cold, winter like temps going into early May.

I had a friend, a roomate of mine in my early Coast Guard years, who had a Yamaha XS400 motorcycle, in which he commuted 12 months of the year from our base in South Jersey all the way up to his home in Brooklyn New York. This was the early 80's, when the winters were much more severe than they are these days. He bought an electrically heated vest and swore that it was a lifesaver for him. That always stuck in my mind to this day, resulting in the investigation of these modern heated jackets marketed to building contractors and the like who work outside in all kinds of weather. So me, being game to anything economically feasible that may help increase my riding comfort, thought I'd try it.

So what's it like to ride in a cold weather climate? I imagine it'd be like a person who works in the freezers at some cold storage workplace for hours on end. There is always that quiet in cold weather that stands out for you realize the birds you are used to hearing chirping about in the warm weather have all gone south for the winter. No noise from rustling leaves in the trees; instead the wind goes unchecked past the trees with their branches bare. And there is always that wind from the north and west, coming down from Arctic Canada. If the Delaware River is free of ice, there is a kind of cold damp in the air that penetrates like the summer humidity does. If it gets down to zero or in the teens; the Delaware is iced over. You can hear the ice crack as the current below is always moving; sometimes the noise is that of a rifle shot. During those dead of winter arctic fronts, the humidity drops out, your lips can crack and blister, your hands may chap. Touch the doorknob in the home to go outside and you will get a shock of electricity from the static built up in the dry air. Sometimes you will find that trees and their limbs will crack and break off from the extreme cold. When you pedal in the cold, you are always dealing with the initial shock to the exposed skin. After some miles, your feet start to go numb from the cold; so too the hands if they are not adequately protected. Muddy paths are frozen rock hard. You pretty much have the entire towpath to yourself on the cold, cold days. Your days of pedaling are limited to the sunlight in the day. Come 2 pm, that 20 mile run in the summer heat is now likely to be completed in dusk. On the trails where the trees provide shadow with little room for sunlight to come in, snow fall packs can still stick around when other areas of the trail have been melted by the weak winter sun. On the bare tree branches, quiet predator birds like Eagles and Hawks stand by, looking over the ground below them for their next meal. When it's below freezing, you really, really don't want to deal with a flat tire on the trail. Here on the Atlantic seaboard, the arctic fronts will bring snowfall that is light and fluffy, very easy to shovel as the snowfall amounts are usually light, from 2-5 inches. But when a warm weather front becomes a mini hurricane called the Northeaster, the warmth collides with the cold and it brings down snowfalls in large amounts and it is a wet snow, very heavy with water. This is the snow that can shut down entire cities and towns for a few days. By the time I'm done shoveling this stuff, I'm too wasted away to even think of breaking out my bike to try some fun in the snow. I don't know how these other people manage to do it.....

That should hopefully give you some idea of what it may feel like being in a cold weather climate, Surly. I would love to hear from what others here may add to the conversation......I'd love to hear what they think! And I hope this wasn't bloviating too much. Being in Coast Guard service I naturally took an interest in weather, for obvious reasons being we were called out to render assistance in some awful weather conditions!

To help with the conversation, some photos of past winter scenery with both fatbikes!

Fat Biking and health-100_2929.jpg
    At north end of Lock 1 towpath, winter storm...
    Fat Biking and health-100_2931.jpg
    Heading home, Lock 1 towpath, same storm....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2942.jpg
    Fatboy. Pedaled into town following a snowstorm. Slow going.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3003.jpg
    Down at the Duck Island Power Plant, Delaware River iced over. No, no riding on that stuff. Too dangerous to even think about trying!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3043.jpg
    This was a March 2017 Nor'Easter that dumped alot of snow. Fatboy out just for a photo-op!
    Fat Biking and health-100_2987.jpg
    Delaware River at Trenton NJ boat ramp. At severe cold snaps like this one, the US Coast Guard must dispatch their small ice breaking tug from Philadelphia and send it up here to Trenton, cutting a clear channel for the built up ice to flow downstream. Otherwise, Trenton and towns in PA along the river are threatened with flooding from the ice dam created...
    Fat Biking and health-100_2997-1-.jpg
    Telephoto look to the North at Trenton NJ & Morrisville PA and a completely iced choked Delaware River. Ice from the northern river reaches piles up in the shallows of the river between Trenton and Morrisville, flooding out nearby roadways and homes. Thus the need for USCG intervention....

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, you need to come to Colorado where the snow is measured in feet as opposed to inches. You go nowhere with more than 4 or 5 psi in your tires. But, you do get to hike and lug a bike!

Chief, sounds like you're having ignition system trouble... Replace the spark plugs while you're at it! Frankly, it sounds like a pacemaker is more of a preventive than a repair at this point.

OZ, when you do visit the states, we'll go out for a snow ride in the high country and you will experience something wonderful. During a break on the trail, we will pass a bottle of Hot Damn to thaw our frozen blood. Many of Mike's descriptions are spot on, even here. It is unique to ride in very cold temps and layering is key for success, along with tire pressure for the snow conditions. Relative humidity will be 10% or less.

Tex, that set of pix is evidence of a good time.

G, Glad you're out, but keep it light with all that smoke in the air.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike thanks for the run through, that first photo sums it up. The level of commitment to ride in those conditions is crazy. Looking at the other photos is so foreign to me, to ride in conditions like that would be fantastic, once maybe. To live with it of six months of the year something else. I was reading about the unexpected large storm that hit New York the other day and caused chaos, it must make you guys really appreciate summer. Thanks for the time to post that up.

Banshee sound great, my local beach has about the softest sand around. Apart from being warm and sunny its perfect practice for snow

No ride today as we are heading down to Sydney for the day, a great ferry ride from Manly into the city and lunch looking across harbour to the Bridge and Opera house.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Chief: OUCH! That foot looks nasty. Keep at it and don't let it get infected. Ugh.

The Camp Fire burn really is something else. This photograph made by a NASA satellite on Nov 14-15 composited with a map of Northern California gives some scale to the mess created by the wildfire burning in NorCal. From where I am, the orange dot at the bottom of the image, to where there is still active fire burning (red marks in upper center) is just over 200 miles.

Fat Biking and health-20181116-camp_fire_smoke_across_norcal.jpg

Never mind the similar blazes in Malibu and other points south of here. They're covering a similar amount of area.

It was lighter this morning. News I read this morning is that a change in prevailing wind is expected this weekend, and some light showers are due on Tuesday-Wednesday. That should clear the air a good bit here in Silicon Ditch and provide some relief throughout the region. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've been keeping my rides to an hour or so per day. Treading lightly, but I'll be damned if I'm going to succumb to the constant barrage of fear mongering and other nonsense that I see on the radio and television on a constant basis. The sensationalism of the media more than irks me. People are pulling their kids out of school, the local university is closed ... for what? The air still has smoke in it. Minimize your exposure, sure, but you still have to breathe. Wear a mask if you feel it's warranted.. I have when I ride.

---
    A quiet ride today. It was cold again, like last week, when I left, and the temperature gain through the day has been/will be less. That's a sign that the winds are changing: it's been unseasonably warm due to a Santa Ana wind coming down from the north (dry and hot wind), so with that changing our temps are moving to a more seasonable range.

Twelve miles, a nice breakfast with a few friends.

onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Hey guys,
    I'm back in Ohio, all the snow is gone and the trails are a muddy wreck. ITook a ride around town on local paved trails and up to the beach. Winter is coming, but it is not here in full strength yet. I'll be ready for it when it arrives.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4166.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4164.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4163.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4168.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4169.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    lovely photos, tex!

G

mtbr member
    Great shots Tex

G, the foot is good. Still healing. Using sterile technique to clean and add Aloe. Keeping a close eye on it.
    Remember the smoke isn't good for you. Supposed to have carcinogens in it ..... it's what they stopped us from burning leaves (love the smell). The hour of deep breathing of that air isn't the best. But I wouldn't stop riding either.

mtbr member
    Anyone interested in talking with Old Bear in the hospital message me for his number.

mtbr member
    Like chief daid da bear is at the vets! I have an issue with my heart failure and stomach. I walked over to.the mailbox feeling fine. It's less than 100 yardsto the house and 3/4 of the way back, BOOM! I couldnt catch my breath. I finally got home i call 911. My bp was way way put 150/120 and here i am
    The ER Doc said that i needed a tune up and my tires rotated. If younwantto contact me ask chief

Love to all
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi oldbear, sorry to hear about your latest engine malfunction, hope the Doc's fix you pronto.

In the mean time please stay away from the ladder shop with the black cats out the front

Hope for a speedy recovery.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Bear, hopefully you get out of the shop soon and are back on the cruise.

Just reading this in the morning. Count me in too as wishing OldBear the best & a quick hospital turnaround. Sounds like you recognized something wasn't right and quickly did the right thing. Thoughts and prayers, good buddy!

Mike

mtbr member
    Short ride around the area yesterday Fat Biking and health-img_4176.jpg
    Today is a weather train wreck here at home. Cold and heavy rain. Hard to complain too much when you compare it to wildfires. I am not sad to be heading to Northern Indiana.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4184.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    All best thoughts and wishes for oldbear!

No rides the past two days or today ... upcoming holiday things to do have been the priority, and today I'm driving to San Luis Obispo (and back this eve) to visit my old friend there. Have to say hallo for the holidays and wish him and his wife well for the holidays. I will not miss an opportunity to do so in person when it comes to friends who are in their nineties!

The wild fire smoke from the Camp Fire blaze is still with us here in the SF Bay Area. Today for the first time in a week the AQI is down to only "Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups", with particulates in this area just under the 150ppm mark. There is a 90% chance of showers forecast for tomorrow; hopefully that will clear the air a good bit for the holiday.

onwards,
    G

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667