Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,600 of 6763
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    DH, did you save net weight with split tubeless?
    Yes, though that was not my main goal. I wanted flat-proofing and the more supple, connected feel tubless brings. I'd never go back. Pretty much any rim can be set up tubeless this way.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, DH it took me a few years to go tubeless and I agree I am never going back. Mind you I had my LBS set them up for me so I missed out on any pain

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

The Sunday ride...

Hi everyone, as mentioned I managed a ride on Sunday and it was fantastic. Still not 100% so I took it slow and enjoyed the beautiful weather.

As I need to take it easy I opted to ride my CC and in the meaning of this thread I put the wheels on that are running 700x42 tyres, aired up at 55psi they smoothed out the rough sections of tar like butter. Ave speed was down but that could have just been because I was cruising and enjoying every minute of the ride.

I took one of the bike paths along the Lake shore...

Fat Biking and health-img_2342.jpg

I was the first really long ride with these Specialized Sawtooth tyres and they will be staying on for the time being.

I took a detour to take a few photos of the bike with this sculpture on a newly opened road, did not see a sign explaining what it means so your guess is as good as mine.

Fat Biking and health-img_2349.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_2370.jpg

Things always look better with a little sunshine...

Fat Biking and health-img_2360.jpg

I was soon onto another bike path that runs along the edge of the western city of Newcastle. To the east houses have encroached it recent years, to the west horses and trees cling on...

Fat Biking and health-img_2383.jpg

You need to live some where its just a shame that the city is edging slowly into the remnants of the past.

Anyway a great few hours on the bike and with daylight savings starting down here this weekend the early morning rides will have plenty of time to Menander around.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Oz, it's the same all over. People move out to the country to get away from it all, then "it all" follows them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oz, it's the same all over. People move out to the country to get away from it all, then "it all" follows them.
    It's native to the human being: we inevitably build our homes as we like them, no matter where we go. What's changed in recent decades, nay centuries, is that the population of humans has risen dramatically. While there is a lot of space on the planet where few humans live, it's generally not to most people's liking ... so we bunch together in the places that we like.

Here on the East Coast for a while, where I grew up, I'm amazed how close together everything is in my perception now. What was once a good ways away seems right next door now because I've gotten used to distances in the West. Only in the big cities do distances seem about the same, because the specific density of urban life remain pretty consistent once a city has grown to a certain size.

I have one event and two visits left here. I'm itching for Monday to get here so I can be on the trek homewards...

G

mtbr member
    Hi Everybody....

Greetings from the not so sunny south. Lol. Its rained everyday this week and i am riding between showers. Funny thing is down here the rain is actually warm. Unlike missouri where this time of year you'll get cold fast.

We are thinking of getting a cargo trailer so i can do the grocery shopping. I don't know which one yet. The rides around here are mainly on bike paths unfortunately. Daviid sayswe can go up to the causeway and ride sometime. He says there are boardwalks right alongside the water where you can see big 'gators. Living here is pretty nice. There are signs all over placed by the state warning drivers about the presence of cyclists.
    My weight continues to drop 240 now. And everyone remarks how much weight I've lost. Sure is a difference.
    Well i need to feed the clan.
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    We had a GREAT ride today along the canal from Yardley to Washington Crossing. Did the loop at the park and over to the river and then back down the canal to Yardley. My wife was on her new ride a Specialized Roll Comp - Low Entry. She loves it, we put her original seat on the new bike and now she is set.
    I'm going to have to get a new bike rack to be able to carry her bike. I can't get the ladies bike on the Thule 4 bike rack I have now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Oldbear, shame about all the rain, great to hear about the weight coming off.

Chief, must be great to ride with the good wife, indeed you need to be comfortable on the bike makes all the difference.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A Sunday ride...

Hi everyone, up early this morning and the forecast rain was hanging around off the coast. Took my time to get motivated and not feeling like dealing with traffic I decided to take the Farley out for a spin. No real plan of were to ride just stay off the roads and explore a few spots I have not ridden before.

Leaving home I quickly cut into my local trails and the reasons for owning a fat bike came flooding back. So much grip and confidence and a butter smooth ride. I really need to spend more time on Farley.

A beautiful sunny day does not make photographing in the tree cover easy with all the light and shadow.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00074.jpg

Still Farley looks happy to be dusty again.

One part of the trail the sun struggles to cut through the tree canopy.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00078.jpg

One of the last parts of rain forrest left on our local area.

All too soon I was out the other side of the trails and a small road section was needed. Still it allowed me to take a view of the boats swinging at their moorings.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00086.jpg

Across the road and I was into the bush that I wanted to explore, I knew there are some trails in here just no idea what they were like or how much was to be found. Started with a nice little challenge...

Fat Biking and health-dsc00090.jpg

And yes I walked across that

The trails were a lot better and longer than I hoped for, in a small area they twisted and turned and were great fun to ride.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00095.jpg

There were a few tyre tracks on the ground but it looks like most people pass the trails by, I will be back to ride and explore a few side tracks I did not take today.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00099.jpg

It's well and truly the start of spring down here as an Australia Magpie gave my a thump on the back of my helmet as I passed by his nest. Not long later a Butcher bird did the same. These guys don't forget you so next time I ride by they will remind me to ride somewhere else

The trails flowed around a creek that makes its way down to the lake near where the photo of the boats above was taken. A few spots the trail crossed the creek and I was a novelty to ride across,

Fat Biking and health-dsc00110.jpg

Not so much the sound of a snake moving away behind me as I was taking the photo time of year to be careful of where I put my feet down.

So a great day to be back on the fatty and with a week off work I hope to get a few more rides in.

OZ.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Nice ride report and pictures, Surly; here and in your last ride report. On trails like this; do dog walker avoid these wooded areas because of the snakes possibly off trail? Has the lack of rainfall situation improved any at all for your homeland?

Old Bear: Post up some alligator photos should you spot one!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good to hear from oldbear, chief and surly this morning!

Family obligations over as of yesterday ... the largest gathering of my brothers and their families in a decade for one of my nephew's weddings! All four brothers, their spouses, two nephews, two nieces, a grand niece, and a grand nephew all in attendence to welcome the new bride... It was huge fun.

Today's my last day in NY, tomorrow I get on the train for the last segment of this Big Trip: training all the way to San Francisco this week. Home on Thursday evening. It's time to be home...

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Trails here in the NE are finally getting to dry out. Canal was still wet yesterday, lots of puddles . We should be getting back to normal this week if the rain stays away. I'll be getting out on some trails and seeing all the deer starting to move now.
    We got out this morning and did a little more than I expected, the wife wanted to go and we went.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Mike I came across two guys walking their dogs on the trails, not on leads and one was keen to chase me

Towards the end of the ride I came across a lady and her dog, not on the trails but a large open grassy area. She asked about the size of the tyres on Farley and we got talking about bikes. She has just brought her first E-Bike, a Specialized Turbo Levo and is loving it. She has ridden for years and has found after a few crashes getting her fitness back and at 57 keeping up with her much younger riding companions a challenge. She and the dog were heading out for a walk but not through the trails as she mentioned that the dog has picked up a few ticks already. So for the warmer months its the open areas for the dog. So some people do avoid taking their dogs into areas of bush, others not. My local trails are a dog free areas to protect the wild life in there.

Back to the lady I asked her about trails behind her house, as it backs onto a steep hill I had to find a way over to head home. She pointed out the trail and told me its a challenge to get up, I boldly claimed that with Farley's grip I could climb it. So she waited in the park to see if I could. Just at the top I picked a wrong line and put a foot down, looked around to see her giving me the thumbs up got going again and made the top and when she was out of sight I stopped and had a few minutes rest

Hi Chief, looks like you have a ride buddy to get you going on the days when you don't feel motivated.

Hi G sounds like the highlight of the trip, did you get roped into taking photos at the wedding?

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hey there OZ!

Took a bunch of photos at the wedding, for sure, and videos. All with the iPhone 8 Plus, which did a stunning job. Whether any of them are worth posting other than to family remains to be seen. There was a pro photog at the wedding and he was, ahem, pretty pathetic ... but that's not my job. I did notice that he was copying some of my shooting, after I did it..

I should give him a class in good people pictures. He was awful at getting people set up and relaxed. Painful to watch.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G yep the good wife has had to stop me from "giving advice" to "photographers" at a few weddings we have been to I had my own wedding photography business for fifteen years. So biting my tongue is sometimes not easy.

Always amazes me that down here you need to complete a trade course to be a plumber or carpenter, yet you have a nice camera and you are suddenly a wedding photographer. Came across one such photographer at the beach the other day shooting the bride and groom in front of their wedding cars. Shooting straight into the setting sun with the tiny inbuilt camera flash firing madly at something twenty feet away. And wondering why the bride and groom were dark(underexposed).

Now I know a lot of people get roped in to help friends and family at weddings and thats fine, however those that take money for the job really have no excuse. To photograph a wedding properly is one of the hardest days work I have ever done. Its a very under valued these days to have the people skills and the technical ability to manage what is after all one of the biggest days in many peoples lives.

Anyway rant over I am off to ride a bike

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

I've given up trying to give advice on this stuff ... it doesn't help and it makes me seem the PITA. I just take photos for my own records and my brothers, and let the blessed couple deal with their photographer.

Anywho, I'm on the train to Chicago now and it is glorious! Left Penn Station in Manhattan at 3:40 and am currently in a layover at Albany, NY ... Bunch of folks coming on board so I'll wait for them to be done with dinner before I saunter down to the dining car.

Onwards ... Home to my beloved and my bicycle!

G

mtbr member
    Oz, nice photos as always. You needed to get a shot of yourself billy goating up the hill. My skills and fitness limit the bike far more than the tires do.

Dropped my daughter's fat bike off to her and have one in transit for my wife. 30 days until the race. I'm sure I can finish now, I'm getting more confident I won't be last either. My brother in law is trying to talk me into an even tougher race next year. We'll see about that after I get one under my belt. Work has been busy, so I'm not sure how much riding I will get the next couple weeks. But it will be enough to maintain my current fitness until the race.

I've had some Beautiful weather to ride this past week. Fat Biking and health-7dfe020c-ef18-431f-b91e-5ea2f95205a1.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3945.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3937.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3950.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3951.jpgBut this week took me up to Michigan which is getting socked in by rain. Maybe no ride until the weekend

mtbr member
    Oz, nice photos as always. You needed to get a shot of yourself billy goating up the hill. My skills and fitness limit the bike far more than the tires do.

Dropped my daughter's fat bike off to her and have one in transit for my wife. 30 days until the race. I'm sure I can finish now, I'm getting more confident I won't be last either. My brother in law is trying to talk me into an even tougher race next year. We'll see about that after I get one under my belt. Work has been busy, so I'm not sure how much riding I will get the next couple weeks. But it will be enough to maintain my current fitness until the race.

I've had some Beautiful weather to ride this past week. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7DFE020C-EF18-431F-B91E-5EA2F95205A1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	1218778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3945.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1218779Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3937.jpg 
Size:	203.9 KB 
ID:	1218780Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	1218781
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3951.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	1218782But this week took me up to Michigan which is getting socked in by rain. Maybe no ride until the weekend
    Texmex- you should make a t-shirt that says Team Bear Clan. Lol

Today was a rest day. My neck and shoulder were aching badly. Funny how that the checks our bodies wrote 35 years ago are just now getting cashed. I had a bad wreck on my old road bike and hit my left shoulder hard on a curb. Long story short, I tore my rotator cuff and now i just hurt. Arthritis is now my companion. Lol
    Thinking of getting young bear some better tire for Ryback. Looking for ideas. Ryback can handle a 4.8" up front and a 4.25" rear. So input is more than welcome.
    Until later
    PEACE...LUV...AND FATNESS
    Oldbear, Cubby and Young Bear

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, great looking trails, one of the best things about being the family photographer is the fact that I don't appear in any photos I am sure you have a base of fitness to get through the race. I bet you surprise yourself on the day.

Oldbear hope the body heals up quick, as for tyres the fatter the better of me

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Wednesdays ride...

Hi everyone, had two great rides this morning and yesterday. Left it to just before lunch yesterday and I was riding along thinking that the snakes might be out sunning themselves on the trails. No snakes but I did have to stop for a couple of Blue Tongue Lizards who though the middle of the trail was a great place to lay and bake. So this morning I went earlier before the sun started to heat the place up.

Took Farley today and compared to the three inch tyres on the Monkey yesterday, the grip was fantastic. I am sure I will stack it one day but the 4.7 tyres on Farley give you skills beyond your abilities

The sun still had not risen completely over the ridge at the start of the ride and the trails are bone dry.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00113.jpg

As you can see the trails surface is firm and stony in places, which when we do get rain dries fast.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00121.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc00123.jpg

Dropping down the hill brought me to the lake side and the sun was starting to show.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00128.jpg

The climb back to the top is a bit of a grind, however when the sun is lighting up the trees and the birds sing there is no better place to be.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00129.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc00139.jpg

I soon reached the top and took a little loop of a trail that I rode yesterday and found out that snakes are not the only thing to be worried about out here.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00140.jpg

That tree was standing yesterday as I rode through here, so to find it laying right across the trail was a bit of a worry. Would not have liked to be under it when it came down. I managed to move it from the trail as the bottom half had been completely eaten out by termites.

Another trail dropped me back to lake shore and I rode around to the local jetty to enjoy the view and breeze.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00151.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc00150.jpg

So a great few days riding, Mike as I type this a decent rain is making its way across the state and the farmers might get their first good rain falls in months. So tomorrow looks like no riding for me, but thats fine as we really need the rain.

Hope to see you all out riding soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    We rode Sunday, she (da wife) has that want to ride pretty bad. LOL

Did our normal loop which was about 8 miles. Trying to build her mileage up slowly. New bike, different position. She's doing really well. So as I think we're ready to turn for home; she says wanna do the lake? Sure, we add the lake. Then when I think again we're turning towards home she asks how do we get to Casey's (our daughter) from here. Lets go. She wanted to ride by and show them her new bike. LOL They were out already shopping. We spun by the cemetery stopping at her Dad's and my Mother's graves. Then back to home. 14+ miles in all, nice and easy. Felt good.
    She had some hip soreness Monday morning, I got her a few stretches that help me.
    Monday I golfed with my son. Man he can hit a ball. We played in the Rotary Club outing, he's a member. We finished -9, tied for second and lost due to the other team birdied before we did. Lots of fun. Plenty sore yesterday, everything hurt. The good thing was that it wasn't as bad as last time.
    I got out yesterday on the Fuse and only wanted to do 6 miles and ended up with 8+. Felt good to get out and get loose.
    Work today and running to the beach after to fish a little and attend a fishing club meeting.

Have a good on everyone

Surly in Oz: Nice ride report, pictures and commentary. Very, very happy to hear rain is coming in at last.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Wending my way home... The train is stopped in Denver to offload and onload passengers. Had a nice breakfast with a couple from Wales touring the USA and a retired banker from Sacramento, CA. Beautiful dawn light on the high plains this morning.

Dawn Overtakes - Yuma, CO 2018
    ...From the California Zephyr...
    iPhone 8 Plus

Can't wait to be home, but the train ride is indeed a joy.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Finally over the border and back into California.
    Some amazing sights yesterday when crossing the Rockies. This one just west of the Continental Divide is a favorite:

Fishing - Continental Divide Western Side, CO. 2018
    Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm

Home tonight!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Beautiful shots G, thanks for sharing

mtbr member
    The bride & her new ride.

Fat Biking and health-img_5049a.jpg

Thanks Wade, I forgot about resizing.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 10-08-2018 at 05:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Last leg homewards...

One Great Trip - Manhattan, NYC 2018
    Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
    Polaroid framing by "ShakeItPhoto" app.

No matter where you go, there you are.
    G

mtbr member
    Hi Y'all.

Young bear and I took a drive over to Pensacola. On the way there are some cool public lands that seem to have some trailheads right off US Hwy 90 east. They are near the Peridio River. Lots of new growth loblolly and southern pines. Really looks promising. The trailhead looks like it starts out as old logging roads. Here's hoping.
    More later.
    Olbear.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Finally over the border and back into California.
    Some amazing sights yesterday when crossing the Rockies. This one just west of the Continental Divide is a favorite:

Fishing - Continental Divide Western Side, CO. 2018
    Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm

Home tonight!

Onwards!
    G
    Now you know what my "neighborhood" looks like, G! Cannot say I would be willing to trade it to live in the city ever again. 30 years of living in a Bob Ross painting and counting...

Glad you had a safe trip and good times.

OZ, glad to see you're back on a bike and doing good rides in great places.

Chief, you need to resize the image. Too high a pixel count and no post...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Mike, we have had two solid days of rain here on the coast and Saturday looks to be rainy as well. Inland has received some too, not enough to end the drought but enough to lift the farmers sprits for a while.

Nice images G, you might be home now, so which bike gets ridden first, racer or the fat bike?

Oldbear hope you get to explore those trails soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Now you know what my "neighborhood" looks like, G! Cannot say I would be willing to trade it to live in the city ever again. 30 years of living in a Bob Ross painting and counting...

OZ, glad to see you're back on a bike and doing good rides in great places.

Chief, you need to resize the image. Too high a pixel count and no post...
    Wade! You're still alive! Lol.

I got out for a hour and a half exploring paved bike trails near home. It is still hot during the day but i ride at 7am so it's not too bad.

G....yup Bob Ross indeed. That shot is amazing. If i had my druthers i would be out there. Mama bear wanted to live out on the western slope. Glad you made it home.
    Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Nice images G, you might be home now, so which bike gets ridden first, racer or the fat bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    G....yup Bob Ross indeed. That shot is amazing. If i had my druthers i would be out there. Mama bear wanted to live out on the western slope. Glad you made it home. ...
    I arrived home last evening, everything on time and easy. Absolutely fantastic trip! And the final bonus: a gent who boarded the train in Chicago and had the roomette next to mine lives a half a mile from me here in Santa Clara. He rides motorcycles, bicycles, and loves photography too. We spent the last couple of hours chatting about our shared enjoyments, so we'll get together for some moto and cycle riding, and photography, soon.

A little hectic just at the moment ... first jobs of the return home already done but there's a lot to do yet. The car started up no problems, now I need to check and inflate its tires and get on with a couple of other errands. When I get back home, I'll do Racer's tires and then FCC and Sumo's tires. Then I'll fire up Racer to be sure all's well with it, and then take FCC out for a ride!

But I better get off to my errands now.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Seems like almost everyone is checking in again.

The weather is cooling off up in Michigan where I've been working but a little bit warmer here in central Ohio. Trees are starting to change color and lose leaves. I finally was able to ride with my daughter on her new fat bike (Gravity Bullseye Monster). She really loves the bike. She landed a good job after graduating from college but it is challenging. I'm glad she has taken to riding so she can take the stress out. She is close to a lot of trails. Fat Biking and health-img_3991.jpg

I bought the same bike for my wife except in the burnt orange color. It looks really good in that color. I just finished putting it together but She's had to work nights and hasn't ridden it yet. Soon enough.

I've been lucky enough to have traveled to where it is dry enough to ride, kind of dodging bad weather by virtue of timing. Pure luck, but I'm not complaining. The effect has been healthy foilage and hero dirt. The early sunsets have caused me to break out the light. I'm not using every ride but I am cutting it close to sundown nearly every time. When the leaves dry up and fall there is a certain smell that lets you know winter is coming. I've always loved the smell of fresh fallen leaves. That's definitely something you don't capture in photos.
    Fat Biking and health-img_3981.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3986.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3993.jpgFat Biking and health-img_3994.jpg

TexMex: You nailed it correct about that particular smell of autumn; the leaves, the crisper, sharper air. Wonderful gesture in getting that GBM for your daughter. She looks like she's certainly enjoying it. You've given her a gift of a new way in life in that fatty; one she'll never forget.

Surly: It's usually not a cause for celebration that there is rain in the forecast around my parts; but it is for your homeland. May it be the beginning of a new weather pattern that relieves the farmers, the animals and the general populace from their suffering.

Wade: A belated thanks for the advice about the tire tube under pressure applying force to the rim tape. Of course, I did not follow it. This time. Next time though, will be a different story once I go dyno hub shopping for the front and upgrading the rear hub.

G: Great pictures as usual coming from your camera lens. I really like the b&w shot of the rocky mountain great divide.

Chief: Fantastic in getting Mrs Chief involved in your rides. I've noted in the rides I've done locally here in the past week, that the trailside tracks are very wet and muddy in many places, indicating poor drainage. Never noticed that in a way I have this week, before.

DirtyHun: I hope to see some great American Southwest photos from your new homebase area, as you begin to transition from the awful heat of this summer experienced out west.

Well, I'm riding tubeless on 2 new JJ's 4.0's. So the carnage was one brand new tire blowout with 0 miles ridden, and a bit of tape. The rear tire is riding on Gorilla Tape, the front on ZipFlash tape. I found the Zip Flash easier to conform to the inner rim surfaces. Pumped up to 30 psi, the new Surly fat bike rim tape does very minimal bulging. On both tires, I have minimal overnight air loss. At the rear upon initial tire inflation, I was losing air at a couple spokes and around 1 rim cutout. The front, the same. Now, I can detect no visible leakage anywhere. Running Orange Seal Sub Zero.

For roadside repairs, I am carrying one Kenda fatbike tire tube in case of major calamaties. For small punctures, I carry a Blackburn Designs Plugger tire plug kit. Very nicely priced at around 20 bucks. Link: https://www.blackburndesign.com/plug...epair-kit.html I've replaced the old Topeak tire pump that has seen me through many a flattened tire on the trail with a Banshee Rune Recommended Lezyne Micro Floor Drive XL tire pump. Nicely made little pump and it does put out a nice volume of air per stroke: Link-https://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrivexl.php

I think in the coming weeks, I'll pick this up, found on the Growler Performance Bikes web page, a very nicely done and innovative tire plugging kit cut the DynaPlug: Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krEERmlSASY This thing is amazing. They make kits for automotive and small truck tires as well.

I've ridden about close to 40 miles on the set up with no issues.

mtbr member
    I lost my pump a couple weeks ago and have been Carrying a box store PoS. I will put that Lezyne on the short list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the compliment Mike!

More trip return stuff:

I've gotten through the mounds and piles of mail stacked in the office, done about half of my accounting catch up, and shredded all the no longer needed travel paperwork.

It took seemingly forever to move the 2,800 photo files from the camera, the iPhone 8 Plus, and the iPad Pro 9.7 to my image archive system, and I still have to move the 70 small videos I made too. High resolution image files are huge ... the total was over 100 Gbytes ... and now the sorting and culling project can begin.

In prepping Racer for the ride up to the All Italian Day Car & Motorcycle Show (this morning!), I found its battery very flat from sitting for two months. I was glad I spent the big bux on the best Li-Ion battery charger available ... Pulled the battery and set it up to charge, six hours later it's fully topped and all test cycle lights are glowing green. I just put it back in and Racer fired up with one press of the starter button. Yay!

---
    Prepping FCC for my First Ride of Fall 2018 on Friday, I found the tires had lost 4 psi from sitting for six weeks. Not too bad! Pumped up in a minute, checked the brakes, made sure the heart rate monitor, computer, and lights were fully charged, and headed out on my Saturday Morning Ride yesterday.

I did 17 miles, first time out, and it felt great! Didn't lose too much of my strength with six weeks of sitting on my butt but have to get my endurance back up to par now.

onwards, always onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Thanks for the resizing Wade. I forgot about it.

G, great trip report and pic's. Nice to be to see others view of the world. And cool that you found a local on train ride home. Pretty cool.

Mike your right about the lack of drainage. I think the ground has been so saturated the water is slow to drain off with no place to go.

My wife picked out a new ride for her birthday. She was pushing the beach cruiser I started with in 2010. She rode it effortlessly, made it look easy. I had a friend comment on how easy she pedaled it. She made me work, not a bad thing. She didn't want to hold me back on my ride by being to slow. So now she has gears and is figuring them out and she can move the thing and it rolls very smoothly. The cruiser will be going to my daughters BF's Mom. They took her on vacation and they all rented or took bikes and she liked it. Looks like she's getting my old cruiser for Christmas. Shhhhhh
    A firehouse friend started to ride and purchased a new bike to ride since the one he tried broke after one ride. His wife (my wife's best friend) hated riding ...... well she used to. Just got a new ride too. They rode the canal to Lambertville this weekend. Very cool. I'll have a whole tribe riding soon. LOL

Da wife wanted to ride an area near us, Maple Beach. Your not allowed to drive there any longer. I ride it now and then, lots of deer. So we tried it yesterday morning. You have to navigate the guardrails they have in place, lift the bikes over some Jersey barriers and over a concrete hill to stop motor vehicle traffic. The roadway has become gravel and weeds. Near the river the tide will cover the roadway after heavy rains. Well yesterday, we waded through above knee deep water, over and under downed trees and got to a point where we could ride again. The water was deep enough it got my bike shorts wet. She was not happy, LOL And the water had a sheen of something on top so the bikes had to be cleaned when we got home. And the brake discs cleaned with alcohol.
    We rode around the area and headed out towards the Burlington Bristol bridge and RT 413. Into R&H parking lot and back into Bristol, then out to the lake. We did a little trial at the lake and then stopped at a rain retention pond where I cut some cattails for next year. They're great for keeping bugs away while sitting out on warm, windless evenings.
    We headed on after 20 punks were cut and collected. We completed our ride. 12+ in 72 minutes with a 10.4 avg.
    The bikes all cleaned up.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5070a.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I visited my orthopedic surgeon today for a follow up on my hip. It's been bugging me a little bit, feeling sore and the leg is slightly weaker than it was four months ago. He took an Xray to be sure there wasn't any problem with the appliance ... there isn't. Probably just another round of physical therapy needed was his evaluation, all muscle and tissue stuff as the joint itself seems 100% fine. So I've made an appointment with physical therapy for Friday ...

My doctor is himself an avid bicyclist and motorcyclist, so we always yak about bikes and motorbikes. I showed him a photo of FCC and he went gaga for it.

---
    Today's ride included a stop to drop off records at my new primary care physician, then a loop down to Guadalupe River Park for a bite of lunch, then back home with a stop at the local bicycle shop.

It's been time to End Of Life my old helmet for a bit (it's 6 years old now, and worn) so I bought essentially the same helmet but painted a cool constellation pattern. Sadly, they've changed the fitting bits just a little bit and the new fittings don't fit me well. I rode with it on Saturday and wasn't thrilled; I rode with it today and said to myself, "This one has to go." A PITA. So I tried on a Bontrager helmet at the shop and it fit a lot more comfortably. Bought it on the spot, and was much more comfortable on the way home.

About 16 miles again today, my legs felt better than Saturday and that tetchy hip feels a bit less annoyed with me too. A good day.

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Something just clicked today. Between the new, comfortable helmet and a couple of nice rides, I got on the bike today and felt completely comfortable again. Fell back into my riding rhythm almost immediately, wiggled down to San Jose for my afternoon coffee and dessert, and back. A nice ride of about 13 miles.

Tomorrow morning I'm leaving the condo at 8am and riding up to Palo Alto to see my cardiologist for a follow up visit. I spoke to him on Monday to be sure that this would not throw off his ECG recording or compromise anything. That'll be a nice ride of 32 miles total...

Life is good on two wheels!

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, nice ride photos shame that the winter is approaching. However the Forrest looks picture perfect.

Chief no wonder the wife enjoys riding that bike looks very comfortable, decent gear range too.

Hi Mike, well we on the coast have had plenty of rain over the last week. Its rained steadily since last Thursday, only Tuesday have we had sun. The inland parts have missed out for the main with only small isolated falls. Still it's a start with much more needed. I have only done a few laps of the lounge room on the Brompton the last few days surprisingly the good wife tolerates it, the Brompton is the only bike allowed in the house. Hoping for a sunny Sunday.

G pushing out the miles already, once you get some base miles in your body it quickly reconnects after a few weeks off the bike. Good luck at the Doctors.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G pushing out the miles already, once you get some base miles in your body it quickly reconnects after a few weeks off the bike. Good luck at the Doctors.
    Thanks! It's being a high medical week, reconnecting with all my doctors and specialists. Good people, I enjoy having these brief visits with them every so often.

My podiatrist yesterday did the overdue monthly service on my feet (I see her every four weeks due to some issues with collapsed metatarsals in my right foot) ... AH! That feels good now.

---
    As I was on the way home yesterday from SJ downtown, I rode through the local university area. It was after 5, a group of new freshmen (my gods, they look so young now!) walked up to the stop light just as I arrived there. Two of them on scooters, one on a skateboard, three on foot. One of the guys on an electric scooter looks at FCC.

"Hot damn, Nice Bike!" he called out.
    "Thank you!"
    He looks down at his scooter ... "Wanna trade? It goes 12 mph!"
    I laughed, "No way! I can beat that easily!" So we raced across the intersection and up the block. I outran him by 10 seconds or so. His buddies came up in a minute.
    "Damn, Roy! You just got beat by an old man on a bicycle!" ...and laughed... "No offense, sir!" he said to me and smiled.
    "No problem, all's fair in fun and racing. I am an old man compared to you children, after all." And then we all shook hands and chatted for a few moments. One from Minnesota, three from around here, one from Arizona, two from New York area. Been in school here a little over a month now. Good kids, so freekin' young!
    "Okay, boys. I gotta go take a shower and get my motorcycle gear on; meeting up with some friends for dinner in Menlo Park. You stay safe and study hard."
    Roy goes, "You have a motorcycle too? Damn, old guys around here are crazy people!" and smiled.
    "Comes with the territory...!" and I took off.

Kids are so cute. They haven't even heard the old saying yet: "Age and Treachery will always win over Youth and Innocence!" LOL!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Must learn to engage brain before going out on a long ride.

Up and out the door this morning at 8:00am sharp to ride to my cardiologist for an annual follow up appointment. It was a bit chilly, so I wore my gloves and my medium weight jersey over a t shirt. The easy way there, which I figured I'd do since I was on a time clock, was up a simple route: Santa Clara to Sunnyvale to Mountain View to Palo Alto via Evelyn and Middlefield roads. Hang an eastward turn to the freeway at Palo Alto and his office is right on the edge of East Palo Alto. 16 miles, 1:37 total time, 1:20 riding time. Easy peezy!

The receptionist looks at me in my cycling gear after checking my name, bd, address, et al. "You rode a bicycle??" she said. "All the way here from Santa Clara???!"

"Sure, why not?" I grinned.

"Hot damn, you guy, I'm gonna really lace into my couch potato husband tonight. He's 25 years younger than you are and, ahem, looks ten years older..."

"Oh, be gentle on him, Chris. But get his ass off that damn couch. It'll kill him." I grinned again.

Nice young nurse calls me in and records my weight and blood pressure, leads me to the exam room, preps and does the ECG. Which with today's machinery, takes less time to do than it does to fit the twelve leads...! I sit back in the lounge chair, watching some MotoGP practice on my phone, and wait for my doc to sidle in.

"Holy crap, man! You're serious about weight loss aren't you?" Dr Winkle bursts in. I remembered I haven't seen him for a year and some.

"Well yeah. I thought you'd be pleased.." I answered.

"Pleased? I'm ecstatic! You're my new poster boy for success cases!" And then we launched into the analysis of all the data I've sent him, what it all means, and what to do next, etc etc. Summing up: Keep On Going! The heart rates I'm seeing on my rides are right in the correct zone for what I should be doing, the small arrythmia/aberration that's developed is innocuous and nothing to worry about, we might have to reduce my medication because my blood pressure is so good now, and all that. He looks at me squarely again: "Come back to see me next year. God knows the way you're going with weight and fitness, I might not recognize you when you come back!" A big handshake (and a big hug) and he blasts off. I love this guy.

Chris calls after me as I depart, "Have a great ride! Wish I was out there with you!" and I wave back.

I took a different route back, and this is where I wished I'd engaged my brain before setting off, and not for the first time. There's a snack/lunch place right down the street from the doctor's office which I'd intended to stop at for a good bottle of water and a bite to eat, but I was too busy figuring out the wiggly little route to get to the Bay Trail through all these poorly marked back roads, and fussing my way over the pedestrian bridge over the freeway complex, and then getting lost and trying to recognize what passes for signage. I didn't realize I was out in the boonies with a long way back to anywhere I could get some water and some food until it was a long way back AND a long way forward. I was dehydrating quickly, it was low tide and the smells from the almost dry ponds and salt marshes were enough to make me lightheaded already, and the fuel provided by breakfast was obviously all consumed by that point. On the other hand, I was rolling along on a slight downhill for what felt like miles over cushiony soft, dry pea gravel that FCC likes so much and the scenery was just so cool and severe out here on the edge between the salt marshes and the Bay... It doesn't translate to photographs well at all, unfortunately, you have to be there.

So I finally get to the end of the dirt/gravel section and back on pavement again, pull out my iPhone and say to Siri: "Where the hell is the nearest place I can get some food?" It points out a route that runs way past where I want to be and further from the San Tomas Trail than I like to get home on, but it gave me an idea and I looked a little closer to my route and remembered the gas station on that intersection. They should have water at least, and that would get me home.

So I get to the gas station and there's a Mexican lunch truck. AH some food! I order a burrito and a large water, thinking I had a ten dollar bill in my wallet. I open my wallet and there're just six singles in there. Oops ...! Spent that last night, forgot all about it.

"What can you give me for $6, señora?" I pleaded.
    "Señor, you look too hungry. That's only a dollar and sixty less than you need. I give it to you." She smiled at me.
    "Gracias señora! Muchos gracias!"

As I stood there sucking down my water and wolfing down the burrito, a guy came up to look at my bike. "Those are huge tires. This must be an expensive bicycle!" I laughed and acknowledged that it indeed was fair pricey. "It looks very heavy." "Pick it up," I said. He did and his eyes get wide: "Señor, this must be *very* expensive!" I laughed again. We had a nice conversation following that, while I finished my lunch and started to feel human again. And then off I went to the San Tomas River Trail and home.

Another 18.5 miles on that leg. So a 34-35 mile day, total, with several adventures, several nice vignettes and fun interactions with people, and some new trail territory I'd never been on before. And a clean bill of health from my cardiologist. I'm a happy guy.

Just gotta remember to put a water bottle into my frame bag before I head off, and maybe a candy bar, eh?

onwards, always onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G well thats one way to loose weight, get lost in the boondocks without food and water.

I will always ride with at least one or more Science in Sport Isotonic gels and a Cliff bar. Years ago I did not bother taking food and one day like you I found myself a long way from home and bonking badly, (out of energy) in cycling terms

I never brought into the idea of someone riding at my pace needing cycling nutrition, how wrong I was. I now never feel like I am out of energy as I ride. I now ride with one plain water bottle on the frame and another with SIS Go Hydro table in it.

If you are passing shops you might not need to go to that level but packing a gel or bar is always handy. If not for yourself, you might come across another rider who is out of puff. If you can stomach the gels they give you a quick pick up when needed.

Still If I come across a cake or Aussie pie shop I will stop in and indulge in something or two

Glad the the Doc was happy with your improvements, seems like things are moving the right way. Enjoy those rides both for the physical and mental health benefits.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I usually have a pack of protein cookies and a pint water flask in the frame bag, just in case. Since most of my riding is 'cafe hopping' anyway in urban areas, I generally don't worry about it too much ... Food and water is almost always a hundred yard walk away, if needed.

But far out on the Bay Trail, it's a dusty desolate place if the sun's out, the wind is blowing, and you're dry and hungry. I'd eaten the cookies I had in the bag and taken the flask out to clean it before I headed off on my travels in August ... It's sitting here on my desk.

That just changed. :-)

It was a great day and a fine ride, regardless of my stupidity. There were other people out on the Bay Trail so if I was really in trouble someone would have been along in a half hour, never mind that I had my phone with me and it was working perfectly. It wasn't quite so bleak as if I was out in the Gobi Desert...

A fine adventure.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    G it all depends on how you spin it Its the internet after all.

Well no riding for me this last week, we have had rain 10 out of 11 days now. We really needed it all the gardens around here have come to life. Its a shame that the rain has remained mostly coastal, the inland areas in parts have had some rain but its been patchy.

I was reading yesterday that the farmers need 300 mm plus of rain over 6 plus months to break the drought. And unfortunately that amount of rain is not forecast anytime soon.

As for me I spent the time selling a bike and was left with a 100mm suspension fork, a 1x11 drive train, handle bars, seat post and wheels. So all I needed was a frame

The only bike frame I could find to fit all the parts was my old Surly Troll. The new Trolls are not suspension corrected, so my Troll is in my LBS now have all the parts swapped over to a new black frame set. And when thats done my Orange troll will be rebuilt using the mountain bike parts.

Just found out that my brother-in-law is coming over for a visit next April and now he will have a bike to ride. Well thats the story I can spin to my wife

Enjoy your weekend.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Indeed, OZ ... I do like to tell a good story from the perspective of my experience emotionally, when objective data might make it "just another ride, I got hungry and thirsty" ... What's the fun in that?

---
    Yesterday was the second Saturday since I've been back from my trip and I took my usual Saturday Morning Ride down to the cafe to meet the boyz for breakfast. Another 16 miler, along a new variation of my well worn path around the area. A cool but lovely day—my middleweight jersey sufficed with a pair of gloves to keep me warm, the new helmet is light and more comfortable than my old one, and it was a mostly uneventful, pleasant morning of cycling. I achieved just over 90 miles of riding since I've returned with it, and my legs are almost back into the same shape they were before I left now.

All great! Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Hi people and wade.

Nothing much happening here. The hurricane missed us. Not even a tropical storm. Zip. Zero. Nada.

I have been a bit under the weather here. Some stomach problems and a head cold. But i am taking it in stride.

I have been looking into a Single Speed from BD. There's a nice Gravity Bullseye for $399. Going to save for it and maybe by January one will grace our kitchen. Lol. Either that or the Motobecane model.

I have been riding everyday but this darn stomach and cold limits me a bit.

The last time i was hospitalized up in Missouri, (at the University Medical Center in Columbia) The staff cardiologist had the Medtronics tech check out my pacemaker/defib unit. It's working fine, but it seems that one of the leads might have moved. My cardiologist here is considering outpatient surgery to put it back in place. It seems that it does happen more than they'd like to admit.

Anyway everyone have a great week. And ride a bunch.

Until Later
    Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    Hi people and wade.

Nothing much happening here. The hurricane missed us. Not even a tropical storm. Zip. Zero. Nada.

I have been a bit under the weather here. Some stomach problems and a head cold. But i am taking it in stride.

I have been looking into a Single Speed from BD. There's a nice Gravity Bullseye for $399. Going to save for it and maybe by January one will grace our kitchen. Lol. Either that or the Motobecane model.

I have been riding everyday but this darn stomach and cold limits me a bit.

The last time i was hospitalized up in Missouri, (at the University Medical Center in Columbia) The staff cardiologist had the Medtronics tech check out my pacemaker/defib unit. It's working fine, but it seems that one of the leads might have moved. My cardiologist here is considering outpatient surgery to put it back in place. It seems that it does happen more than they'd like to admit.

Anyway everyone have a great week. And ride a bunch.

Until Later
    Oldbear
    The bear's raiding trash cans again! Knock that shit off and feel better, brother...

Fred, what gives with your damn phone?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    oldbear: Good to hear you've been riding every day. The season's moving on and cooler weather is coming... although you wouldn't know it around here. It was in the 80°F range yesterday afternoon, and should be back up in the high 70°F again today, but cooler morning, evening, and night temps. I hope that rewiring job doesn't push you down too far.

---
    The rides just keep going. A twelve-miler yesterday for my afternoon coffee, I might ride to the moto dinner this evening (a 16 mile run) if I don't get in a ride this afternoon. FCC is up to 1550 miles now since April, not bad having missed six full weeks+ of that time due to travel.

The new exercise regimen that my physical therapist gave me is having effects already: Core strength is on the up, ache in the right leg flexors is reducing, and the leg is feeling stronger again. Never know but that it might help me reduce my pot belly too.

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    I see everyone is posting, great to see.

We went away for my wife's birthday. We went to Cape May Sunday and we didn't take our bikes. The town is set up for biking and we will be back, with our bikes .... spring or fall only. I would not want to be there in the dead of summer, small area and tight, I know it gets packed. Bike lanes, lots of rental spots, lots of bike racks. reminded me of a smaller Key West and it's closer to home.
    The weather has cooled considerably and it feels great to get out and ride. I did a ride with my wife this evening and then went out on my own. I went and cut some cattails and delivered them to people who had asked for some. Great smell, and they keep the bugs away.

mtbr member
    Bear, Glad you missed the hurricane. I have never been through one, I hope I never will.

My work is blowing up on me. I've ridden much less than my goals all month. I missed all of last week. I managed to sneak in a short trail ride at home this weekend before rain moved in. Then trails were closed up, so yesterday I rode the beach.
    Fat Biking and health-file-2-.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-file1-2-.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-file2-2-.jpg
    This week doesn't look too good either. I am traveling, but my itinerary is looking at long days in an area without trails open to night riding. It is getting dark early. We will see how it goes. I am still sure I can finish the race. As for whether I finish last or not, that remains to be seen.

Rippin da fAt
    Tex, great pix, as usual!

I too have been without much time to ride due to business, not to mention rain for the last 10-12 days. The good news was the high country had a nice 18" layer of snow to begin the formation of base for later in the season. Evidently, the Mayor passed his final exam in his remedial snow dance class!
    The ride opportunities have been limited to riding to my brothers place for a visit. A great place to visit since he is raising chickens and has loads of fresh eggs that put the store bought variety right to shame! Another trip over there tomorrow to kype some more...

Damn it, Chief! I just checked my cats to make sure they still have tails... Too bad there were no bikes however, I wish your wife a very happy birthday!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Left work early to ride with some daylight in Indiana. I am working late tonight to make up for it, but totally worth it.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4061.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4063.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Tex I would leave work early to ride those trails they look great. How long is that beach, and is fresh water? Don't sweat the lack of miles you will be fine for your race, distance is more a mental thing than anything else.

Banshee the snow did not take long to roll back around. I would love to ride snow one day, which is possible for me here in sunny, warm OZ. Up the back of the Hunter Valley is a place called Barrington Tops and its high enough to get snow once or twice a year in winter. Does not last long and I have never had a chance to make it up that way on a snowy day. Maybe next year.

Hi Chief, banshee beat me to it with the cat tail joke, I will have to ask what is a cat tail some kind of shrub?

Bear you and G seem to be out riding the most, hope you are enjoying yourself.

New bike or should I say bikes day tomorrow for me, will post up a few photos soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Another fine afternoon's ride ...

Buncha stuff to do yesterday, arrived back home around 3:00pm. Off with street clothes, on with bicycle gear, out the door.

Three in the afternoon marks the start of the road mess around here nowadays. Between grammar and high school pickups, the early commuters, etc, the roads going to San Jose get more and more crowded until after six or so. It was so thick yesterday that there simply weren't any safe points to make a left across traffic without stopping and waiting for a crosswalk light to aid me, so I said, "heck with it!" and took the easy way all the way down into San Jose without looping over to Japantown which was my original intent.

Stopped in at Caffe Frascati, ordered an Americano and a cannoli from the friendly carrot-topped barista. A tall, lanky kid with frizzy orange hair and a pleasant demeanor: he was joking about as he made my coffee and gave me a couple of good laughs. Outdoors at my table, it was an outstanding and beautiful early evening coming on. I realized that I'd best hang out for a bit and wait for the sun to get down to the tree line because otherwise my route home was going to have at least two points were the sun would be directly in my eyes. I called my buddy on the East Coast and yakked for a few minutes.

Which gave just enough time for a busker to show up with his guitar and start playing a few riffs. I was getting ready to go when he hit on the dueling banjos theme from "Deliverance", which I stopped and stayed for: Hearing the original in my head as he played the theme out on his guitar. Some bits of music just stick in our minds...

I reversed the route I'd intended to take in the first place and wiggled my way up through Japantown on the way home. Shops closing up, it's now 5:30 or so, and a different feel to the streets there as traffic swells and ebbs, people heading home to make dinner, and so forth. Delaying took the sun out of my eyes and then the evening began to descend in full and I switched my headlight flasher over to continuous beam low for the rest of the ride home: easier to see in the evening that way and not as intrusive.

Another fifteen mile run. Since taking up the new daily workout regimen from my new PT, my core strength is improving, slowly, and I'm even more comfortable riding. I have more precise control of my abdominals and glutes, my breathing is improving too. So many little factors on this journey that help.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Man, it got cool. I rode this evening breezy & 51° but it felt good. Light frost warning for tonight, fall is here.

Cattails
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  16.0 KB
    You find them in swampy areas, waterways basically any slow or none moving water. I collect them and burn them after allowing them to dry for a few weeks. I have some from last year. They are great for getting rid of bugs.

Good ride along the power lines this evening.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5101.jpg
    A few deer out and about.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5104.jpg
    Heading into the lake trail system off the power lines
    Fat Biking and health-img_5106b.jpg
    A few more grazing.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5112.jpg
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 10-19-2018 at 04:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Chief thanks for the cat tail explanation, people believe that Kangaroos roam around the streets down here, but by the look of it Deer don't mind a bit of the suburban life.

G the bike can place you at the right place at the right time, you seem to be really enjoying your rides.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First new bike day...

Hi everyone picked up my first of two new bikes today. Sound worse than it is as this one is only a new frame set. After selling my old F/S bike I kept all the parts off it with the idea of building up a 100mm travel 27.5 mountain bike. I had been looking at the Soma B side frame, but the new version had moved up to a 120mm fork. So the only option that I could find was my Surly Troll sitting in my garage. Its good to go with a 100mm travel fork, so I picked up a new non suspension correct Troll frame set to swap all my parts off the old Troll.

Old.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09268.jpg

New.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01689.jpg

My LBS did a great job at a very good pice to do the swap over and are building up the Orange frame with the other parts. One plus with getting a new frame is that the steer on the fork has not been cut and after a brief ride have the bars up higher on the new Black Troll is great.

If my son feels like it when he gets home from work we will go and pick up the new Specialized Stumpjumper that we are going to share

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

And another one...

Hi everyone, picked up the Stumpjumper this afternoon. Don't think my son will let me ride to often, its the first bike that has fitted him properly for a few years and the smile on his face as he effortlessly did a wheelie up the street was worth it. So I might get to ride it every now and them

Fat Biking and health-dsc01706.jpg

As you can see from the photo it was getting dark I had a quick spin on the trail at the end of the street and the 150mm of travel and slack and long front end inspires plenty of confidence. Just have to remember my very low skills levels when I get to ride it

Not that there will be much of that this weekend, I work early tomorrow and the forecast is for severe thunderstorms in the afternoon followed by rain on Sunday. Hope your having better luck with the weather, enjoy your weekend.

OZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-dsc01706.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oz, you gotta love new bike day! Nice!

Chief, are those whitetail deer? They look small, or is that just the picture.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Tex, new bike day is great, and it comes around next week too when I pick up the old orange Troll frame rebuilt as a gravel/hardtail bike That will be the last bike for quite some time

A few years down the track the way E mountain bikes are going I will pick one up.

Rode the Troll to work today and the small difference in bar height and frame geo left it feeling different from the old Troll. Was not expecting that but this one feels a much better fit for me.

Might get to fit a ride in on the Stumpjumper this afternoon, it will be a quick blast as some thunderstorms are heading down the valley.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Oz, you gotta love new bike day! Nice!

Chief, are those whitetail deer? They look small, or is that just the picture.
    No, they are whitetail and yes most are small a few Mom's in the bunch. It was 3 large doe and the rest were babies. The Mom's alerted first and started moving them to the right nearer the tree line. Then stopped to check me out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    didn't get out to ride all summer from a foot issue then had a heart attack 3 months ago...now to cold for me...hopefully next year will be better

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    didn't get out to ride all summer from a foot issue then had a heart attack 3 months ago...now to cold for me...hopefully next year will be better

Sorry to hear that... Hope you mend up for the near future and beyond!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, looks like rain is going to stop play again today still if the farmers are getting some rain I cannot not complain. I missed out yesterday afternoon after having a nana nap only to be woken by a very strong thunderstorm lashing the place.

Hi Fast, missing the whole season makes missing a day or two seem silly. Hope you get outside soon. Do you have an indoor setup to keep fit on?

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice new bikes, Oz! Good luck with them!

Get healthy for next year, Fast! Never give up!

---
    Today was cool and foggy when I left for my Saturday morning ride. Very foggy in spots... I had the Polaroid with me and took a snap at one of the usual busy corners on my loop down to San Jose:

But it wasn't cold enough to need more than my medium weight jersey and gloves, so I felt good. Zipped along ducking in and out of the fog and finally broke into clear air down at the park where I meet up with the boyz.

Before I got there, a 7 foot dragon appeared out of the mist ...

Fair ferocious looking, but I don't think it saw me or just ignored me.

After breakfast, I wasn't done riding so looped over through Japantown, then back through Guadalupe River Park, and up home through the University area. The sun was out bright and clear by then, I'd rolled my jersey and gloves up and stuffed them into the frame bag. A fine nineteen mile ride and a beautiful Saturday it turned out to be.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Fasfat: heal up quick. We all are here to give you support and hopefully some inspiration too. Being off bike isn't fun at all.

Oz, Chief, Mike and Wade. You guys amaze me at how this tribe has held together with active members like you.

Young bear has been playing a lot of frisbee golf at a park about 15mi south of here. It's a nature preserve call Graham Creek..500+ acres with lots of fat biking opportunities. He saw a guy on a CAAD 1 down there and decided to get a bike rack to haul Blue and Ryback down there. He says its not too hilly and the trails vary.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Fasfat: heal up quick. We all are here to give you support and hopefully some inspiration too. Being off bike isn't fun at all.

Oz, Chief, Mike and Wade. You guys amaze me at how this tribe has held together with active members like you.

Young bear has been playing a lot of frisbee golf at a park about 15mi south of here. It's a nature preserve call Graham Creek..500+ acres with lots of fat biking opportunities. He saw a guy on a CAAD 1 down there and decided to get a bike rack to haul Blue and Ryback down there. He says its not too hilly and the trails vary.

Until later
    Oldbear
    Texmex- I didn't mean to forget to include you brother. Lol.
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Howdy dowdy neighborinos!

Just relaxing and chillin after a nice 10mi ride. I rode out to Silverhill using the bike path for most of the way. Went to see how my old trails there are fairing. Didn't go on them because of a brisk downpour this morning left them a morass of mud. So it was a nice ride. The. Temp was 79 with a humidity of 54. Not too awful for Southern Alabama.Young bear gotm more of my gears working when he put Blue back together before I moved back home.

On the new bike front, I am going to possibly build up a plus bike. I just have to save up for the frame and groupo. Or maybe there might be a GBEM five x in my future. The newest GBEM has improved rear spacing of at 190 and comes with 4.9" tires.

I hope everyone is well and riding safely.

Wade so you got S N O W? Thats a four letter word.

G My dad was stationed for a bit at Mare Island in WW2. He told me about your fog.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G My dad was stationed for a bit at Mare Island in WW2. He told me about your fog.
    The fog in San Francisco and out in the various spots of the Bay is much more consistent and reliable ... and THICK ... than down here in the south end of Santa Clara Valley, but it's always a joy to me when it shows up.

I've been riding every day, 10-20 miles, and loving it, again since I returned home. I missed it so much when I was away for six weeks. It's become "what I do with my time" now, and how I get around most of the time.

A plus bike? You mean, something with tires in the 1.8 to 2.5 inch range? I've been thinking of getting one of those too, but only after I sell Sumo and my Brompton. I haven't ridden Sumo for several months, and longer than that for the Brompton, and I don't really like to keep acquiring stuff that I don't use much. A plus bike with tires like that would suit my uses well and would fit on the bike racks for public transport, allowing me to get to more places easily. But I do so like riding the Fatboy Comp Carbon so much.

Limited time today, so I'll make a fast dash down to the cafe for my afternoon cup of coffee, then home, shower, and off to this evening's events.

Onwards!
    G

Rippin da fAt
    A +bike has tires 2.8-3.5".
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    FastFat, don't give up on moderately cold weather. Dial back the effort and bundle up, even if it is a short ride. The benefit to your brain by just getting out there is huge (or as we often hear"'yuge"). Slowing down keeps you from straining the lungs in the cold air. Of course, follow the doctor advice first and foremost. If you can't get out, stay tuned. We will keep you appraised of all things fat bike riding, both North and South of the equator.

I had another "catch the whipper snappers" moment today. This time on my home trails with some kids on FS bikes. They were bouncing around bunny hopping in the parking lot when I left to hit the beginner loop as a warm up. By the time I returned they had already set off on the main trails. I caught them resting about half way through. I passed them and subsequently stopped to take some photos of the fall colors. In spite of my stopping to take in the sunset and colors several times, the kids never caught up to me. What was funny was sitting in the parking lot when they rolled back to the trailhead. I overheard one of them asking the other two how do "old dudes crush it?",even funnier were the explanations from the other two which ranged from "expensive bikes" to "knowing the exact gear for every condition". I know a lot of things, apparently I can add "exact gear" to that list. As for expensive bikes, I picked up mine for $500, so I guess it depends. That's a lot for some people. I still have no delusions of being fast, but I was faster than these particular teenagers today. I would love to hear what they'd have to say if they ran into some of the truly fast "old dudes".

The colors are starting to really show. You can't do it justice on a phone camera, but I gave it a shot twice.. I stopped a couple other times to take it in and just left the phone in my pocket. Life is short, enjoy the views.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4077.jpgFat Biking and health-img_4076.jpg
    Last edited by iliketexmex; 10-22-2018 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex those colours look very nice from here. As for passing people, well for me they would have to be very slow or safe riders not something I do too often.

Although I had the new Stumpjumper out for my first ride yesterday and even that I left my Garmin at home it certainly felt a lot faster than I normally mange the loop. The 29 inch x 2.6 trees and 150mm of suspension flattened the trail. Still don't feel that comfortable on it to push hard but it wants you too.

I know I will never find its limits, my son loves it and one of his mates is heading into the LBS this weekend to look at getting a bike too. They are already planning riding weekends and dropping their gym memberships

So I might not get to ride it that often. Still I was riding it around yesterday thing about how much fun the fat bike is. Like Tex said you get a lot of bang for your buck with a fat bike.

G what type of bike are you looking at?

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G what type of bike are you looking at?
    Not really looking at anything yet at all. It's just a thought in the "thought experiment" stage at this point.

(I splurged recently on another impulse camera purchase: Found a beautiful example of the very last Leica SLR with a mechanical shutter, the R6.2, at a very good price. The whole kit with grip, motor drive, and electronic remote control/intervalometer too. Since I have a complete kit of Leica R lenses, I figured, "What the Heck?" So there went a chunk of my 'discretionary play money' ... not much left in that pot for the rest of the year. But I ain't complainin'. Film is loaded and I'm doing my test roll... )

---
    Only time for a quick 11 mile ride yesterday. I blasted along with fair determination and managed an 11.7 mph average speed around my standard loop, not bad at all for late afternoon traffic conditions. I stopped for a quick cup of coffee at the Peet's down on The Alameda in San Jose. When getting ready to leave, a gent sitting outdoors was curious about FCC and we chatted for a few minutes while I put the lock away and got myself ready to ride.

I checked my records and find that I've now done just about 1,650 miles on FCC since April. And there's still tread on the rear tire, front tire is fine! That's pretty amazing. I did tire pressures yesterday (about 2 psi down in 2.5 weeks and 130 miles) and lubed the chain; running like a champ.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My supposed dental appointment for today was postponed to tomorrow, so I had a good wide open day to ride wherever I wanted. I didn't have anywhere specific to go, however, so I took a nice jaunt to say hello to the folks at the auto shop where I have my car serviced (a nice mom and pop shop that specializes in Mercedes-Benz). It's a relatively straight shot there on urban streets I've ridden many times, different today only in that there was a prevailing 10-15 mph head wind .. and it's all uphill from here. Not bad, I made it in good time.

My buddy was out on a parts run. I said hi and chatted a few minutes with his wife, then moved on.

Hmm. Well, I've done Stevens Creek Trail from Mountain View out towards Moffet Field and around to Bay Trail and back home again, but I've never gone south on Stevens Creek Trail from that point. Continuing up the same route to the trail entrance, I went south and wiggled along through interesting lanes. SCT southbound follows alongside Highway 85 and has some interesting over and under pass structures to deal with crossing all the entrance and exit lanes of the highway, all the will rolling along the groove that the creek runs in which is very picturesque. I stopped to make a photo or two, but color would be better and my camera is loaded with B&W film at present. Such it is. Came to a critical junction where a large and complex highway interchange intersects with one of the biggest surface roads in the area ... and right there, the trail is closed for some new construction. Right in the middle of nowhere.

I meandered around for a bit and finally saw a tiny "bicycle detour" sign, and followed it. 200 yards later and no sign and thought I'd gone amiss, but all of a sudden there's another tiny sign with a bicycle logo and an arrow. I followed that, and nipping around the back of a hotel, there's the path entrance point again. Whew!

Wander and wiggle along, some interesting workout areas and parks you'd never find if you didn't walk or ride the path, and I come up to another highway crossing. Up and over to the east side of the highway, and the path ends in the middle of a lovely little residential neighborhood. However, from here I know exactly where to go ... Head over to the main drag east and speed the now slight downhill incline back to Santa Clara at a hefty speed all the way.

19 and some miles, average speed in the 12+ range, some interesting sights along the way, and I arrive back home to some lunch, a shower, etc. Life is good.

Onwards!
    G

Wharton State Forest, NJ Pine Barrens Ride Report 19 October 2018

A belated and short report of a 22 mile ride on the sugar sand roads within Wharton State Forest, aka NJ Pine Barrens, from Atsion Ranger Station at Route 206 to Batsto Village, Batsto NJ and back to Atsion, all off road, using the Haibike Full FatSix on HIGH power. 15 psi in the tires.

On another front related to the ....and Health portion of this thread, my 6 month cardiologist visit today gave a clean bill of cardiac health.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3482.jpg
    At Atsion, NJ. Heart of the NJ Pine Barrens. This is not the NJ as seen on The Sopranos, a Northern NJ wasteland of human endeavor and over population. This is South Jersey, home of the Jersey Devil, ghost towns taken back by the forest and thousands of acres of quiet pine and cedar tree wilderness cut through by various pine barrens stream and rivers. Oh yeah, home to varying kinds of animals, from white tailed deer to timber rattlesnakes.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3483.jpg
    At the bank of the Batsto River, at Quaker Bridge crossing. This "river", darkened black from the tannin in the atlantic cedar trees that live along it's banks, ends at Batsto Lake in Batsto. It starts deep within the forest. Canoes, kayaks and fishermen can be found on the river in the warm weather months.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3485.jpg
    Quaker Bridge. Spanning the Batsto River, this crossing goes back to pre-Revolutionary War years. A hotel once stood nearby here. Quaker Bridge Road, in which this bridge is part of, was a highway of commerce in pre-Revolution years. I'm about 5 miles out from the start point on Quaker Bridge Road at Atsion.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3487.jpg
    Batsto Lake with Batsto Village in the back ground. This is about 5 miles from Quaker Bridge. Basically, on the Quaker Bridge Road at Quaker Bridge, I make a hard right turn, where I proceed to follow the old road that follows the Batsto River into Batsto Lake and the Village proper.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3488.jpg
    At the State of NJ maintained Batsto Village, featuring some original and replica buildings of the Batsto Village, where bog iron ore dug along the nearby Mullica River riverbanks was delivered and smelted in the charcoal-fired furnaces and turned into 1700's era products, including cannon balls to support the effort against the British.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3490.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3491.jpg
    Instead of double tracking on Batsto River Road and Quaker Bridge Road to get back to Atsion, I went onto the Washington "Turnpike" adjacent of Batsto Village and hooked up on a sand road that basically followed the Batsto right back to the east side of the Quaker Bridge Crossing. The day was windy and cold, a near 40 degree drop in temps since the two weeks or so previous when we were in the middle of summer time temps and humidity in October. I had my winter vest and wool hat on for this ride.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3494.jpg
    5 miles later, back at Quaker Bridge crossing.
    5 miles later, back at Atsion and my truck. 26 miles to home and another Pine Barrens day comes to an end

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Congratulations on your clean cardiac report! Always great to here that.
    Lovely ride and photos too.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, G an R6.2 is a lovely pick up always dreamed of owning a Leica camera, one day. Look forward to seen some results.

Hi Mike good to see the doc gave you the ok. Off for a check up myself tomorrow, a little more intimate than your visit

Ride looks great nice that you can access areas like this close by. I believe that I found your starting point.

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-10-24-5.22.25-pm.jpg

Looks like there a few trails to ride around in that forrest. Must be nice to feel lost and away from the urban sprawl.

Hope you manage a few more ride reports before the weather turn cold.

OZ.

G: Many thank you's for the well wishes. A thank you for keeping this thing going, with some great commentary and fine photographs. All the best to you as to the rest of our little family here!

Surly: Best wishes on your own doctors visit, my friend. That photo you took, that is what I was looking at as I happened to be in that parking spot next to the wooden post railing there. As far as trails, you are correct. Wharton is but one Pine Barrens state forest to ride in. There are others both south and north of here, but they all have this same character of sand roads (this had to be ancient ocean bed here), with varying pine trees including the one of a kind dwarf pine and of course, the atlantic cedars that grow along the pine barrens streams.

This will be a 12 month riding and posting endeavor. I look to do more pine barrens runs and I want to dare say, maybe an overnight camping trip report to come as well.

On this trip, there were a few white tailed deer that I scared up. Those deer can really jump and sprint along when they sense man is lurking around. All you see is that white tail from behind as these things jump 4 or 5 feet along at full speed. But the real goal is to encounter other critters, as seen in this very nice thread here off of the NJ Pine Barrens forum: https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/thr...0/#post-133222

I do have to wonder in my travels through the Pines if I have not encountered the timber rattlesnake.....but never knew as I passed it by. It pays to be more one with nature and cognizant of the world around us.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    How cold is too cold? What does your cardiologist say about physical activity? Fat biking and easing into it with short, easy rides, being mindful of not getting the heart rate elevated too high? I will assume you have completed cardiac rehab? From my own perspective, the only way things get better next year is by getting into the swing of things........right now. Pending of course, what your cardiologist has to say.

Just take this as some friendly tough love, FF. Dressed warm, the cool, cold air is much better then the deep, hazy hot humid stale air we get here in my neck of the woods every summer.

Give us your thoughts on this, we'd like to hear what you have to say.

mtbr member
    Great to see we're still pedaling. Windy and chilly this evening. I hit the power lines and lake trails it was wind tunnel until I turned and go back into the trees. A few deer this evening, I just missed and once 8 pointer as he powered across the trail and into the trees chasing a doe.
    I'll take the phone in the next day or 2 to get shots of the trees staring to change.

Some great reads and pictures.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 10-26-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    How cold is too cold? What does your cardiologist say about physical activity? Fat biking and easing into it with short, easy rides, being mindful of not getting the heart rate elevated too high? I will assume you have completed cardiac rehab? From my own perspective, the only way things get better next year is by getting into the swing of things........right now. Pending of course, what your cardiologist has to say.

Just take this as some friendly tough love, FF. Dressed warm, the cool, cold air is much better then the deep, hazy hot humid stale air we get here in my neck of the woods every summer.

Give us your thoughts on this, we'd like to hear what you have to say.
    Mike, the fatty is what got me off the hook from cardiac rehab. I cannot say enough good things of the experience and the positive outcome that followed.
    Yus, it took time to get back in the groove but time well spent. The improvement was tangible on each subsequent ride.

Mike, glad to hear of your heart report card!
    Doctor recommended...

Hi Wade,
    Many thanks! Hope to hear from FastFat again. Sounds like he's ready for winter hibernation. Here at Fatbiking & Health, there is no winter hibernation, for many of us, the fun is getting started with the coming of the snow. Well, most of us. I'm still finding salt deposits from the last time I broke out the Fatboy last winter. Picture of that day-after here:
    Fat Biking and health-100_2942.jpg

Right now, the area Chief & I are in is in the middle of some kind of pre-winter like weather, with sharp chills and cold winds from the northwest.

Here is to hoping you and all of my fatbiking and health friends are doing super!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, back from day surgery, all went well won't be sitting on a bike saddle for a few days

Mike as much as I like the idea of snow, the day to day realities possibly are not that much fun. Still that photo makes it look bearable, here's to a mild winter for you and Chief.

G, I caught a replay of the Moto GP race from Japan this morning, and I don't know why I have not watched more of the last two seasons. So good to watch the bikes slide and hop around, and the skills of the riders is something else. Mostly the races are late at night and with early starts to my work day its a little hard to catch them. Still this weekend I have no excuse as the OZ GP is on, I will be watching that on Sunday afternoon.

Third new bike day this morning

Fat Biking and health-dsc01723.jpg

Well nothing new on the bike my old Surly Troll that served as my commuter for six years, like this.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09268.jpg

With all the parts off my Specialized FSR XC that I sold to my LBS of a museum piece

So this now gets to play off road as a gravel bike/spare bike, my son has already offered it out this weekend to his mate. When the tyres wear out I will change the wheel set over to a 27.5 with Schwable G One tyres and add a frame bag, saddle bag and handle bar roll too.

So that's my last bike purchase for a very long time... promise

Hope you all get to ride over the weekend.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Mike, don't start! lol
    We had 18" of snow in the higher elevations last week. I didn't have the Mayor with and had to make sure there was no evidence to be seen when I got home.

OZ, I bought a pair of G-One 2.8's for Sarge. They are fast, light and fun! At 650g's each, Sarge feels even snappier than usual. Damn, those tires haul ass... Now Sarge is ready to antagonize roadies at a moment's notice.

FasfFat, I have to say, the fatbike was a blessing following my myocardial infarction. Kinda sounds like some form of flatulence. :/
    The recovery took shape 7 days following release from the hospital and surgery. So, 9 days post surgery was my first ride. Holy smokes, no power to speak of. It was embarrassing to feel as though I had burned exhaust valves on each cylinder. As the days moved forward, I could feel vast, tangible improvement.
    It would be 30 days following that I tried "heart attack hill" on. This is a short, 2 mile ride with a significant elevation gain. I did better time up than I ever had. It seemed like I made the top too soon. I had to check my bearings and be sure I had made the top. Sure as the day is long...
    The ride down was a relaxed descent that felt just amazing.
    Now, sure the weather is cooling now however, we can dress appropriately for the conditions. A pair of appropriate weight gloves for the digits to not go numb and away ya go. Take your time and get back in the swing of things as you are able. Again, bicycles were the key to my recovery and can assist in yours too.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oz:

I buy the subscription from 2018 MotoGP World Championship - Official website with news, calendar, videos and results | MotoGP on an annual basis. That gives me access to watch all the events - practices, qualifying, racing, press conferences, etc - at times that suit me. They also offer a good app for iOS/Android that lets me watch the races even on iPhone or iPad easily, and with remarkable quality. That way I can keep up with the season even if I'm off traveling for a big part of it, and it's not too expensive (in the USA, about $135/year).

Love watching the riders work those machines! Even the youngsters running Moto3 are pushing them so far past anything even remotely possible when I was a youngster racing 250s is thrilling as all heck.

---
    My new physical therapy regimen is focused on building core strength and flexibility in the inner abdominals and glutes to balance and fix the grumpy flexor muscle in my right leg: I have to report that it is proving just remarkable in its effectiveness with only two weeks of maintaining this daily exercise regimen! It's too early yet to see major strength increases, but my level of control in being able to work both the bicycle and motorcycle, and the ease that I can do it with, has improved a huge amount already. The bicycle seat is much more comfortable already too, and ten miles without having to get off the seat at all now doesn't even feel like it's far enough.

I took an early lunch ride yesterday since I'd been up early and had only the usual little pastry and coffee with friends at the cafe rather than a regular breakfast. Ran a variant of my usual loop, prepended with a two mile circuit around to my favorite local cafe where I had a solid hamburger and half order of hash brown potatoes for lunch. That must have been just the right amount of fuel, because the rest of the ride I could not help myself from pushing HARD all the way! For instance, usually when riding the train overpass, I find myself downshifting by four to five gears to get over its rather steep hump ... Yesterday I surprised myself by powering over with only two downshifts, and then again on the way back only three and pedaling hard in top gear all the way down too.

It was warm and sunny, temps in the 74°F range, and I buzzed along at a good heart rate enjoying the whole time. Didn't feel at all tired afterwards; no aches or pains this morning either. Life is Good!

Onwards!
    G
    Last edited by ramarren; 10-27-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Surly in Oz: Nice, nice to hear of a successful surgery for you. Now here is to a rapid recovery as your spring turns to summer. You've pretty much nailed it about snow fall around here. During these storm events; it's always best to stay inside, nice and warm. Following each snowfall, I'm out shoveling off the vehicles, driveway, walking path for Honey in the back yard so she can do her duty. Can't forget the hundreds of pounds of wet snow sitting ontop of my boat cover/tarp. By the time this is all done, I'm done as well, even using a gas snow blower for the drive. By the next day's arrival, unless we are in a deep freeze, this stuff is in a melt phase, just making a muddy mess of any trails. But if an arctic front settles in post-storm, this stuff freezes solid into ice/snow. Even my local 20 mile jaunts on asphalt are out, due to safety issues and a lack of a proper shoulder space to ride on.

Wade: I remember your reports last season mentioned little to none snowfall to report. That's what I love about weather. You really never know what is in store for each season; one year cannot be compared as falling in line with the last.

G: Kinda jealous about the eateries you have at your disposal there; the perfect complement for the riding that you are doing. Here; well, we have convenience stores called Wawa or 7-11, a few pizza shops. Diners are on the more heavily traveled Route 130 corridor. To this date, I still don't have a proper lock, so anytime I go into a pizza shop for a slice or a steak sandwich, my eyes are always but always locked on the bike. Cause around here, you never know.

Chief: That's a nice herd of deer on your travels. These animals are not just locked into PA. I've run by them swimming to Newbold Island on the north end near Fairless, having come over from Pennsbury Manor. To see them down in the Pines is a special thing. The speed and height of their jumps just amazes me.

Big rain event coming in for the weekend, until Tuesday morning, so no rides planned. We've absolutely had no proper Fall to speak of, having gone from Summer heat and humidty in October to something late November like...Uggh

mtbr member
    The power line trail yesterday for 12+ nice and easy. It felt good.

Some of the views.
    A tug working on the river.
    Fat Biking and health-rae23ciirhsa4ggramciva.jpg
    A blue heron on the hunt.
    Fat Biking and health-wjid3tt9rnerqjgc%25nulyq.jpg
    The trees are changing
    Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_d73.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-bkrwmuustvuiw3lvzfijig.jpg
    Rangers are teaching a woodlands class I think.
    Fat Biking and health-ca4eqvwcttclv5ucfg3hqq.jpg
    A view from the observation platform
    Fat Biking and health-6cop3yycqvukhh8r%25hk6pg.jpg

Today I got under the Turnpike bridge along the Conrail NE corridor and then headed over the the lake and the power lines.
    Fat Biking and health-img_5162.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_5165.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_5167.jpg

mtbr member
    Glad to hear from everyone. Looking forward to more reports. Oz, yours will have to wait.

For me, I put a short ride in before the rains came. Trails will be closed for a couple days for sure.
    Fat Biking and health-file1-3-.jpgFat Biking and health-file-3-.jpgFat Biking and health-file2-3-.jpgFat Biking and health-file3-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Hi family.

This week has been particularly hard on the bear clan. The 23rd was Mama Bears Birthday. We all went through some serious bouts of grief and sorrow. Mama was the rudder of this family. But we all know she wouldn't want us to be sad. So we made it through and things are better.

As far as a ride report there's not too much right now. I am putting on miles daily and I am getting stronger and slimmer.

The way I wound up back in Southwestern Alabama is due in part from excellent STRONG advice from my cardiologist to get away from Missouri before winter hit and the fact that i needed David and Sean and they needed me. My current cardiologist, Dr. Franzess has looked over my records from Missouri and here and asked me why i wasn't ilon oxygen anymore because my oxygen levels are pretty good for an old man. Of course I told him how my fat bike saved my life. He said " keep it up!".

Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Chin up BEAR. You know she'd be mad if you don't get in your miles

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    On October 25, we put up this year's Day of the Dead photos. Photos of the close family and friends who have passed away, framed, and we burn the candles every evening to grant them time to visit the World again, for a brief time.

There are five new photos on my part of the shrine, four in my partner's. It makes me sad to see them there, but it brings great joy to welcome them back for a brief few days. The shrine comes down on November 3 and they go back to their world while we remain in ours. But that small piece of them that is always in our memory .... as long as we remember them, they are alive and stay with us.

Until our Time ends.

Hey OZ: Get yourself one of these OTTOLock and one of their mounts (I just received a Pro Mount as a gift for completing a survey, nice improvement on the original mount). They're a little pricey but absolutely the nicest, lightest bike lock to use I've found. I keep mine on the bike, ready to use, at all times so I can head into restaurant, store, or cafe without having to keep looking over my shoulder constantly. I've actually seen potential thieves walk up to the bike, see the lock, scratch their head, and walk away ... too much trouble to even try to figure out how to attack it. Well worth the money!

---
    Up early, did my exercises, and headed out on my ride. Chilly morning, 51°F as I went out the door, but that's fine if I'm moving for a t-shirt, medium weight jersey, gloves, and my regular cycle shorts. I'm warm within a half mile.

The feeling from these exercises is still new and thrilling. My core muscles are strengthening, my control gets better and better, and the bicycle feels so much more comfortable. I ran the long way down to the meetup, passed my dragon friend again (he was curled up in a heap, sleeping, this morning) and pushed hard all the way. Until I hit the gathering spot just past downtown on the Guadalupe River Trail ... A huge pile of folks and tents and stuff were there for a big event so I had to pick and dodge my way through the crowds on the trail itself.

Past that, I sped on and slid into our breakfast/walk meetup spot a couple miles past ten minutes early. The usual gang, and then some, showed up. The walk, my ride, and breakfast ensued as usual.

With the crowd down at the lower end of the Trail, I decided to head home on an inverted loop. So across to Japantown, back west on Hedding from there, and up the usual route from that point. About 17 miles, feel great ... Time for my shower.

Onwards!
    G
    Last edited by ramarren; 10-27-2018 at 06:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Day off today, we had rain most of the day from the noreaster tearing up the east coast, plus up late last night. We went the my firehouse we had a benefit for a member with cancer and raised a few hundred dollars to help him out with some things.We watched the World Series while there, we got home after some beers and I watched until the 13th and the Dodgers tied it up. I went to bed, it was 1:30ish. It's a tough recovery now a days. Getting old. LOL
    I also found out a firefighter friend was diagnosed with pancreatic and liver cancer 10 days ago and has been placed in hospice. What shame Dave is a tough old bird. He's getting his things in order. He and his wife just sold their shore house and wanted me to buy it. It has hit me hard. You just never know.

OK, to the riding it been good and like Mike said we're having bouts with some colder weather. I'm going to stay with it for as long as I can. I ride all summer in Kean sandals and I'm now in running shoes. The Specialized Bennies (studded flats) fit the bill with keeping me on the pedals. I have a some layers to wear, it's the same stuff I wear for fishing in the fall through the new year. I'm about to get started there.

G, I picked an 30" Ottolock last Monday. The thing works like a charm and is prefect for securing the bike to run into places for short periods. I'm now looking for the 60" model. I stuff in in my bag and it is great to have.
    I also purchased a new bike rack for transporting our bikes to spots to ride. With wife's bike made me do it. I'll be looking to sell the old one I have at some point.

I'm also looking into gyms for over the winter to workout and stay in shape to make the starting next year easier than in the past. Looking for a place with something to ride to stay in shape too.

A group of us (9) are meeting to watch the Eagles play in England in the morning. Breakfast buffet and Bloody Mary or 2 and them a ride in the afternoon.
    Have a greta weekend everyone, I'm heading off to bed to catch up on some lost sleep. LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    G, I picked an 30" Ottolock last Monday. The thing works like a charm and is prefect for securing the bike to run into places for short periods. I'm now looking for the 60" model. I stuff in in my bag and it is great to have.

I also purchased a new bike rack for transporting our bikes to spots to ride. With wife's bike made me do it. I'll be looking to sell the old one I have at some point.

I'm also looking into gyms for over the winter to workout and stay in shape to make the starting next year easier than in the past. Looking for a place with something to ride to stay in shape too.
    I use the 30" model too: it's just right for most situations. I bought one for my partner ... In a pinch, I borrow his and chain them together if I know I'm going somewhere I will need a longer one. It's really a great lock. The only reason not to use it for longer stays is the three digit combination.

I've suggested to the folks at Otto Design that they make an extra security model with a four digit head.

Given where I live, I'll ride through the winter just like I did last year, although that does become a little more sketchy in January-February due to the amount of daylight and the usual propensity to rain and chilly temperatures. But I'm in FAR better shape this year than I was last, and much more confident of my abilities on the bike: I'll likely get through it with much more riding this year.

The exercise regimen I'm doing now can all be done on an exercise mat in my bedroom or living room. I'm doing it under the supervision of a physical therapist at present, and he's been giving me great advice on how to do it properly and how to develop it further. Once my need for the therapy is past, I'll ask his advice on finding a personal trainer to help develop a more extensive exercise plan. Frankly, my body is loving these workouts and can't get enough. It would be really amusing if I end up with a six-pack and a bubble butt for my 65th birthday next year. It's not a bad addiction to have!

always onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    G, if you look (Youtube) there were some bad reviews on them but I think the guy was doing it wrong. Not pressing the button in to put the strap into the locking mechanism and not setting the code properly. I had some difficulty setting my code until I got a thin pin press the button and got a click and it worked like a charm.
    I was going to meet friends to watch the EAGLES game and I leaned forward to look at a squirrel on a wire and my back went out. It had been coming, I wasn't doing my core work, only riding and stretching; I know better and this happens every once in a while. I just got back from my chiropractor and I'm icing. Now I have to get this back under control. Lots of core work as soon as it feels better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    G, if you look (Youtube) there were some bad reviews on them but I think the guy was doing it wrong. Not pressing the button in to put the strap into the locking mechanism and not setting the code properly. I had some difficulty setting my code until I got a thin pin press the button and got a click and it worked like a charm.
    I was going to meet friends to watch the EAGLES game and I leaned forward to look at a squirrel on a wire and my back went out. It had been coming, I wasn't doing my core work, only riding and stretching; I know better and this happens every once in a while. I just got back from my chiropractor and I'm icing. Now I have to get this back under control. Lots of core work as soon as it feels better.
    CHIEF: Take care of that back! I've only experienced that kind of thing once in a great while when I did something without thinking, but it always hurts like hell.

Yes, I saw the negative comments, even before I bought one. Like you, I put it up to not using the lock correctly. I use a pushpin style thumbtack to press the code setting button with, works very well. Neither I nor my partner have had a single problem using the lock at all.

I was even curious enough to request a short piece of the band material to see if I could cut it or break it, and the folks at Otto Design were gracious enough to send me a 6 inch bit. The only way I was able to get through it with the tools I had at hand were with a pro-grade rotary grinder and a carbide cutting disk ... and it took almost 20 minutes to hack through it. The multi-layer woven structure inside the band makes it very hard to cut cleanly, it squeezes out of the way of snips, dulls hacksaws, and the cutting tool gets fouled easily and needs constant cleaning. It can be cut, ultimately, of course, but for most bicycle thieves it's way too much effort—better to just move on to the next one with a more standard lock that can be broken with a cold spray, a chisel, and a big hammer in three seconds.

"The fastest moving vehicle on the planet is an unlocked bicycle."

---
    Took a nice quick jaunt out for coffee yesterday afternoon. Twelve miles in barely an hour with a 10 minute stop. Traffic seemed unusually light, even for a Sunday, and the weather was beautiful.

I wore a new pair of cycle shorts ... Dang those things are so variable in their cut and sizing! This pair is the same model and size as another pair I have that I liked, just a different pattern on them, and they fit so much better and are so comfortable! It's just amazing how different each of the pairs of shorts I've bought are.

It's probably time to look for a slightly heavier weight of jersey, though, and some full length cycling pants. Morning temperatures are beginning to dip into the forties: that's when the cold wind on my knees starts to become a bother if I ride any distance.

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey strangers...Been a while. It's been a pretty good summer. Did some traveling...LA, SF, Vegas, etc. My son and I did a nice hiking trip through Utah. Visited most of the national parks and Moab.

Not much new on the bike front. I've been SLOWLY collecting parts for a new build, but I'm not planning to finish it until spring. I think I am going to put the Mastodon EXT I bought for the build on my Specialized Fatboy for now. Just need to swap out the hub. Specialized has 135 and the Mastodon is 15x150. I've built up wheels before, but never a fat bike wheel. The hub is due in later this week. Never ridden a FB with suspension. A couple of the trails around here are quite rocky...we'll see how it goes.

Oz...awesome bikes. I ran into the guy who owns the local Specialized shop out on the trail the other evening. He was riding an aluminum Stumpy with 27.5x2.6. Pretty cool bike. I put a set of 29x2 Grifters on my Ogre. Impressed with how well it rolls on pavement once it is up to speed.
    Last edited by Terry66; 10-30-2018 at 05:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi everybody.

Down here we are having excellent weather for riding the highs are mid '80's. Lows at night low 50's to low 60's.

Went out today and had to get a new helmet and a lock for my ride. Believe it of not we found a temporary one for $7 at wallyworld along with a lock for $5. Like i said the helmetbis temporary. I prefer a bell urban style.

David found a trunk rack for the Honda. We found one for sale for $10 on the FB marketplace. That way we can haul Ryback and Blue down to that place in Foley.

Today was a 'rest' day. Yesterday, I rode over towards the Florida line. Se are about 50 miles from there. It was on pavement but ibstill cranked away. Blue sure turns heads.

Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The whole reason I started cycling was for my health. I put 1,000 miles on my Giant X-Road the first summer. That combined with cardio, weight training, and eating right in the off season fixed all my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure numbers. I'm my doctors poster child as he kept telling me I was a cheeseburger away from a heart attack for the ten years prior. I went from 247 to 195. The eating right part sucked cause I like BBQ and beer... haha but I've maintained the 195-200 pound range year round for 7 years because of riding. I went to the fat bike two years ago to open up more riding surface options. One by one I'm getting family, friends, and co-workers into cycling.
    cederic

2017 Salsa Beargrease
    2012 Fuji Absolute 3.0 Road Bike
    Giant Roam X-Road - Sold it
    Giant CycloCross - Sold it

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by cederic View Post
    The whole reason I started cycling was for my health. I put 1,000 miles on my Giant X-Road the first summer. That combined with cardio, weight training, and eating right in the off season fixed all my cholesterol, blood sugar, and blood pressure numbers. I'm my doctors poster child as he kept telling me I was a cheeseburger away from a heart attack for the ten years prior. I went from 247 to 195. The eating right part sucked cause I like BBQ and beer... haha but I've maintained the 195-200 pound range year round for 7 years because of riding. I went to the fat bike two years ago to open up more riding surface options. One by one I'm getting family, friends, and co-workers into cycling.

It is said that the fork fits in the hand and the elbow bends! Good on ya for getting under control.
    Bikes are better therapists that most people are.
    Doctor recommended...