Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667 LastLast
Results 6,401 to 6,500 of 6676
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No ride yesterday ... Too busy dealing with too much stuff, preparing for my trip, etc, to get anywhere near a ride.

So today will be my last ride of Summer 2018: I'll ride to my doctor's appointment, and then the bikes and gear will be put away until I return after October 4. Should be about a 20-25 mile spin and I'll enjoy every inch of it.

My trip will take me from here to Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the UK, then back to Boston, New York, and home to Santa Clara again all across the USA on land by rail. I'll visit twenty or so of my good friends and family along the way. My pre-trip jitters are well in play and I'm enjoying every delicious moment of them...

I look forward to riding in the Fall 2018 season already!

onwards!
    G

No matter where you go, there you are.

mtbr member
    Enjoy the trip G and be safe.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    G: Safe travels. We'll keep the light on for ya here and look forward to your return.

Did a 20 miler round trip to Lock 1, D&R Canal to Duck Island and back to homebase this evening. Fairly brisk winds with storms in the forecast for tonight.

Saturday was a combined run to Burlington City and back, then to Lock 1 and Duck Island, back to homebase. Found a small snapping turtle on the towpath, so to avoid having her run over by another bike, I took her up to the I-295 overpass and let her in the canal, where she took to the water and swam off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks ye!
    A long long crazy day. I still have to pack in the morning, but it's time to get some shut eye.

---
    My last ride of Summer 2018 was a visit to my doctor yesterday morning. It was a really nice run:

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-08-22-2.39.16-am.jpg

Ah well ... I'm off to my pit. Catch ya all on the next bounce!

G

mtbr member
    I spent the morning in a power plant in Bergen County NJ. I waded through ankle deep water for a few hours walking down a new tie-in point and routing for a pipe line. I got home and had lunch, a quick nap (20 minutes does it) and then went for a ride. It was quite breezy today with a constant 11 mph wind out of the west. I rode into it for the first 4 miles. I headed down River Road in Croydon PA, into the marina and then north across Rt 13. Then turned down wind and had a nice ride. Felt good after an easy day yesterday with my wife. I went farther than I expected to and then had to turn back into the wind for the last 3 back to home.
    15.37 miles in 79:27 min; 11.5 avg. I was at 11.8 but the last 3 miles into the wind slowed me some. A few stops along the ride to talk with friends too. What a nice day.

mtbr member
    Last weekend was rained out. Traveled to Michigan for work earlier this week. I rode the DTE Foundation Trail again. I came across a guy who was stopped to take a break, we chatted a bit and then rode the rest of the trail together. Turns out he retired from a GM powertrain plant in Toledo that was only 2 miles from where I grew up. It was a good ride, enjoyable conversation, and a beautiful fall-like day. 70 degrees with a cool dry Northwest wind. There is slight changes to the color on some of the trees... Fall is coming

From there I headed to Cambridge Ontario, I got into town with two hours of daylight left, so I took a ride on the Hydrocut. Fat Biking and health-img_3785.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3783.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3784.jpg

I was hoping to get my New York sticker this week Fat Biking and health-img_3776.jpgby heading home via Buffalo NY, but I may not be able to get it done. I may need to meet my wife in Toledo so that means navigating around Lake Erie to the west. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    I head home Tomorrow, but this evening I took a short ride at a new place. Guelph Lake in Guelph Ontario. It was a weird mix of rock gardens, soft beds of pine needles and clay and then roots. But it was a beautiful evening. The days are getting shorter, so I did not have as much time to ride as I would have liked. But it is hard to complain about a day on the bike
    Fat Biking and health-img_3796.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3794.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3789.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3790.jpg

mtbr member
    I find when I'm riding I push, faster, stay on it, working and not enjoying the ride and the sites. Since I've been riding with my wife it's been a pleasure to go out for a ride. When we ride together it's less mileage and a nice easy pace. When I'm alone I'm pushing and working. I usually ride with her and then go off and add some mileage and intensity. I'm really starting to enjoy our rides.
    Yesterday I was on my own and took it easy for the entire ride. 12.25 miles in 67:14min and 10.1 avg.
    It was a very enjoyable ride.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4885.jpg

Mike, shot is looking NE from between Bordentown Road and Main Street in Tullytown, PA. That landfill is south of Duck Island and the old US Steel Fairless Plant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    I find when I'm riding I push, faster, stay on it, working and not enjoying the ride and the sites.
    I find myself doing the same thing. That's why I take pictures. Of course the pictures never do it justice

I wound up driving around Lake Erie on the Eastern side. So I stopped at Hunters Creek near Buffalo. It was really beautiful. The trail ran along a river that has cut cliffs into the hills.
    Fat Biking and health-img_3802.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3803.jpg

Nice shots and ride reports, guys! TEX: You're job is getting you around with an added bonus of some nice looking riding areas. CHIEF: Familiar sites there. Good points about enjoying the ride. I'm finding that leaving at 6pm for the Lock 1 ride is going to have to be modified as we are now losing daylight. And because of that, my speeds have had to be increased.

Nothing of great importance to report. I've been pretty much doing the Lock 1 and back rides to keep in condition. I've not been on the D&L canal since the 95 miler run but want to get back soon. 2 days ago, heading back on the Lock 1 run, the bike started feeling squirrely, especially when I passed over and ran atop the white line on the roadway. Turns out I had a slow leak. Not wanting to go through the 30 minute motions of removing the tire, finding the leak and patching it, I elected to just fill the tire a bit at the Crystal Lake Park.

Yesterday, I changed out the tube, front tire. Original front tire and schwalbe tube, roughly 5300 miles. The tire tread is starting to show some great wear and it's time to think of a new front tire. A pinhole leak in the tube that piereced the Mr Tuffy Liner and tire. Thing is, I did not find the offending cause of the leak. I installed a new Kenda tube, cleaned and lubed up the bike and chain and did a modified Lock 1 ride at 6 pm.

On this ride, I did not go through the Mike TowpathTraveler Memorial Mud Hole and Water Ditch up at the I-295 overpass as I did not want to undo all of my cleaning efforts. Got home and just did a nice wipedown of the bike and called it a ride.

I've been using G's recommended Dupont Chain Saver Lube with Teflon. I lube each link prior to every bike ride. My initial purchase of this stuff was the squeeze bottles; but I noted this stuff is more liquid than water, it appears. Last week I ebayed a couple of 11 ounce spray bottles of this stuff and will compare that with the squeeze bottle.

Initial findings using Dupont Chain Saver versus Boeshield T9 is this: The Chain Saver does not pick up and hold dirt readily like the T9 does. Keep in mind, the T9 gives you a much cleaner chain than using the traditional oil/teflon oil products like Triflow, which for years and years was my go-to chain oil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex that ride around Guelph Lake looks like fun the fatty should eat those roots. Shame about your days getting shorter, I have noticed this week riding to work in the morning I am being greeted with glorious Sun rises rather than darkness.

Also we are having some rain this weekend, started yesterday afternoon with a rare winter time thunder storm. Most importantly its raining over some of the inland farming areas that desperately need the rain. So no riding today but thats fine if the rain helps ease the drought down here.

Missed a ride yesterday morning as I had to pick up my Brompton from the bike shop in town after it had its bottom bracket replaced. I also took one of my cameras along to test out a lens combo. This is as close as I will come to a bike this weekend

Fat Biking and health-dsc01538.jpg

Chief I mostly ride slowly these days and stop to take in the views. I know everyone is different but the guys I get passed bye on their training rides smashing the speed and Kms seem to me to be missing out.

Life is a race to a finish line that I don't want to win.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Yeah, more about enjoyment now even though it's my workout. Not going hard every time out now.

I wanted to go long today on the Fuse but it had a flat. Changed mode and got on my Crosstrail. Up and out at 8:30. I rode to William Penn's summer house
    Fat Biking and health-img_4898.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4900.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4904.jpg
    and back to the boat launch near it. Watched a little cricket there too. Headed back into the breeze that had picked up. There's a small bridge you go over both ways.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4905.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4906.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4907.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4908.jpg
    I got into Tullytown and went my usual route to the bridge and went past a murder investigation. The News cameraman said they were investigating the murder of a 2 yo ...... by the Mother.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4909.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_4912.jpg
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? This had me thinking and depressed most of my ride towards home. Jesus. What a shame.
    Over the Tullytown bridge into a few Levittown sections (Kenwood, Farmbrook) Haines Road to Mill Creek. As I was riding along Mill Creek at the 2 entrances into Violetwood towards Green Lane there were a bunch of roofing nails on the shoulder as you would turn in. I stopped to try and brush them off. But that's gonna cause a problem for someone. Over the overpass at the TP and them on home. 21.27 miles....
    As I got home Barb and Casey were going out for a ride so I joined them for a nice ride through Edgely and Bristol and then back home. All totaled up 30.3 miles in 2:44:15 min. at an average of 11.0 mph.

What a great day to ride The breeze picked up around 9:15 and was steady all the way back.
    Now I have a flat to change.

2 thorns were the culprits for the flat. A patched tube in and aired up. (Fingers crossed it holds) and patched the new tube. Going fat tomorrow ........ I hope.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 08-26-2018 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Just popping in for a look-see from the Isle of Man. I turned another circle around the Sun yesterday and my beloved buddies here played "When I'm 64" about a thousand times, between shots of Laphroaig. I kept my own consumption down so as not to have my head explode.

Chief, I share your confusion about what's wrong with people often. But then ... It's just the same nonsense that's gone on for all of human history, the human condition. Over and over again. One would hope we could get past it somehow, but it hasn't happened yet.

I'd love to have the Sumo here. It would be perfect on these roads and the power would help getting around some given the hilliness of the terrain in many places. I just might ship mine over and leave it here with my buddy, both for him to use and enjoy and for me to have when I arrive. I'm here every year or so, and he always pays the insurance so I can use his car, so it makes some sense to give him something to ride when I'm not here as payback.

I put together a few quick snaps from the Manx GP Senior race on Saturday, watching at Parliament Square in Ramsey. It's so much fun to see the bikes blitting through town...

https://youtu.be/ts0-Ny1KENA

Hallo to all, stay well, stay riding!

G

G: Good to hear all is going well in the UK. Though the Sumo has a 36 volt dc battery, our charging voltages and cycles are not compatible. They use 240 volts ac at 50 hz and of course, our household current is 110 volts ac at 60 hz. Maybe you should stop in an ebike shop over there and ask if just getting a Bosch Euro ebike charger for the Sumo will work with our US spec battery.

On another front, the Sumo would be considered illegal in the eyes of the Safety Police over there; as their ebikes have a maximum speed of only 15 mph. Bringing that 20 mph beast over there would for sure terrorize the citizenry! And who knows, very likely confiscated by the customs people the moment it stepped on Euro soil!

Chief: Knocking done some significant mileage numbers means you are rounding into better shape as the summer has progressed. Job well done! Sad story about that young child. Angering, as well. It says much about the lack of empathy in our little area here that this story will be forgotten in the next daily news cycle.

A near 20 miler to Burlington City late in the day yesterday; averaging near 17 mph for the entire trip, which is literally flying & living in the 19-20 mph range to get to that average. Summer heat is on tap for this week, along with the humidity. Blech!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    G: Good to hear all is going well in the UK. Though the Sumo has a 36 volt dc battery, our charging voltages and cycles are not compatible. They use 240 volts ac at 50 hz and of course, our household current is 110 volts ac at 60 hz. Maybe you should stop in an ebike shop over there and ask if just getting a Bosch Euro ebike charger for the Sumo will work with our US spec battery.

On another front, the Sumo would be considered illegal in the eyes of the Safety Police over there; as their ebikes have a maximum speed of only 15 mph. Bringing that 20 mph beast over there would for sure terrorize the citizenry! And who knows, very likely confiscated by the customs people the moment it stepped on Euro soil!
    I'm not sure (and of course I wouldn't even consider plugging it in without checking the specs) but I believe the Bosch charger is adaptive to US and UK AC line power.

Regards the performance and legal compliance, I suppose that would take a bit of wrangling with Bosch to obtain the appropriate firmware for the UK market. It is a 250W drive unit and 100% pedalectric, so it's just a matter of where the speed limit for assist cut-off is placed in the controller firmware. Bosch sells the same drive unit here in the UK with the appropriate legal performance spec (UK and Euro specs have been coalesced to be compatible too), and there's no reason you could not swap it for Uk/Euro operation instead of US operation.

The bigger problem is simply the cost and business of shipping it to the Isle of Man ... Shipping to the island here is ferociously expensive to begin with, and I'd probably have to hand-carry the battery across or ship it separately via UPS or something like that. I haven't done the research, but it might prove much less expensive to simply rent one here for whatever the duration is or ship mine over for short term use, etc.

There are always ways and means on these things, but you have to keep and eye on the total involvement. I've been doing it for years with motorcycle bits successfully, a whole bicycle is just more of the same...

Lovely day in Ramsey today, watching some more racing. It's gone a little gray and chilly now. I would so much like to have a fat bike here!

G

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about something that happened last week. I was driving back to the hotel from the DTE trail ride. The sun was almost set, it was pretty dark and I saw a guy walking his bike up the hill and was a little bit on the road. His clothes were dark, his bike had no visible reflectors and he looked like he was struggling. So I pulled over and asked him if he wanted a lift (I had a minivan, with room to spare for his bike). He said no at first, but when I expressed my concern about the narrow shoulder and it getting dark he said OK. As he got closer to the car I could see he was not a rider from the trail, he was a guy who probably didn't have the means to get around but by bike. But no matter, I was happy to get him off the road and home safe. As he loaded up he told me he was staying at a campground not far away. I offered him a granola bar, he said "No, I had an apple and two bananas before I left the campground this morning." Mind you, t was now 9pm. So I demanded he eat the granola bar and he scarfed it down. When he finished he told me "I am recovering from a psychotic episode, I don't remember what happened but the police and the hospital took good care of me". Of course he was already in my car, and I figured he wasn't going crazy now so I would just keep driving. When we got to the campsite, he explained he had appointments at the University Medical Center and with his new social worker that week. I happened to have bought a bag of groceries for my dinner, so I gave it to him. He initially said he had food, but was very grateful after I insisted. I think he didn't really have food. The next day I came back to the campground with some more food. He said he was getting taken care of by his social worker the next day. I traveled back through the area a couple days later and he was gone.

Whatever was going on in his brain had him against the ropes. That Michigan winter is coming so I hope they took care of him. You see a guy like that, it makes you appreciate how lucky you are to be healthy, physically and mentally.

mtbr member
    Nice job texmex, we all need to do a little more of this.

I scared a female rider Sunday, I came out of a side street and fell in behind her and started chasing...... got a little work in . As we rode I noticed she was in all black. We were riding early and there were shadows. As I caught her and passed her I mentioned she might want to get a light on the back of her bike. She kind of disappeared in the shadows and might not be seen by a driver. She thanked me and we rode on.

Today was a bad day at work. I feel like my new supervisor was targeting me and looking to get rid of me. He asked me to add things to my expense report that no one else has to do or did on their expense reports. Then he basically accused me of lying on my time sheet. I responded to him and got no satisfaction, I went to the GM and he said "He's your supervisor, work it out." I told him he's made up his mind, I don't see us working anything out. I emailed the COO and the HR manager forwarding all our emails back and forth. The morning passed, no response. I was pissed. I have a 2 projects I need to issue this week prior to leaving for vacation.
    After lunch the GM came to talk, mostly BS but he asked a few questions. He also informed me the Owner of the company and the HR manager were coming to visit today and they asked me to stay for talk with them.
    The Owner and HR manager apologized and wanted to make sure I was OK and wasn't looking to leave. They said my supervisor was asking for things that were not required. They would address it with the GM and my manager.
    We'll see how tomorrow goes. The COO is going to call to discuss.

SO I needed that ride this evening, 10.5 hot miles (88), very humid; 59:44 min; 10.5 avg.

Chief: Just knowing you on this forum, I know you to be a street smart and saavy kind of guy; one who's life experience around the block and back makes him aware of things. I think your gut feelings about this new guy are spot-on and I know you'll be careful protecting your own livelihood, putting it first before this new kid on the block.

I did a ride to Lock 1 tonight and after reading TexMex's great post, tonight's ride and past experiences on the fatbike got me to thinking of a response to what he wrote in support of that person. That is to follow this one.

Ride Report, Homebase to Lock 1, then to Duck Island and back....

Left a little before 6 pm, still hot and humid outside for a ride northbound to Lock 1, the Delaware and Raritan Canal. Usually I've been a bit cranky lately, tiring of this insufferable hot and humid weather, but tonight while working my way through the Crystal Lake Park property, it dawned on me that the days of weather like this are on the wane. It got me to thinking of the one ride back home last winter, the snow falling and the day growing dark near an early afternoon sunset; a herd of deer near the tree line up from me. It's coming, those short, dark and cold days and nights.....

The pedestrian/bike path on the Crosswicks Creek train bridge is a wood planked affair and maybe about 48 inches wide, if that. I was on the north end of this bridge walk, slowing to a crawl as the drop from the walk to the winding cinder dirt walking path leading to the Lock 1 bridge is a good 4 inches or so. Just as I was making that drop onto the trail, I'm suddenly passed by a guy to my right, going a good 8-9 mph; mumbling something as he zips by me and scares the crap out of me. No advance warning by this clown whatsoever. You're just pedaling along and suddenly there's a bike alongside you on a narrow width bridge path. This guy is on some kind of personal best for time and speed; by the time I cross the Lock 1 bridge, I see he's already shunted a canal path walker to the side as he is now rolling northbound. 10 speed racing/touring bike, drop bars, either toe clips or clip on pedals.

I seem to have a delayed reaction to things like this. By the time I saw he had forced that canal walker aside with his speed, I was kinda pissed at the stunt he pulled on me. So, in the words of Nigel Tufnel, I turned it up to "Eleven" and caught up to him. Basically, I told him I thought it was a dick move he made in passing me on the bridge the way he had; no warning, no nothing. Frankly, I've never seen anything like this in the 4 or some odd years I've been pedaling on this path. He offered up the lame reasoning that I had slowed down a good bit coming off of the bridge; in which I offered up that he was a "fooking donkey's rear end orifice" or more curt words similar to that as I passed by him. I don't know sometimes. There you are, just taking things in when all of a sudden you're getting shunted aside like it was turn 4 at the Daytona 500.

TexMex: I had no plans of posting this up, but since reading your post, I'll offer what I came across 2 saturdays ago on this very trail: Going northbound, I passed a young fellow on his bike and we exchange hellos. On the way back from my turnaround at Duck Island, I catch up to him. He asks me where this trail ends up. I ask him where he's going. He tells me Williamstown. I said you are nowhere nears Williamstown, it's at least 40 miles to the south of here. I offer up that the light rail just ahead can allow you to take the train to Camden; where after another 15-20 miles of pedaling to the south, you will get to where you are going. He said he had no money for the train, no food, no water left but the tiny bit in his water bottle. I did a quick summation of his predicament and gave him a twenty and the fare for the light rail to get him on his way. He was extremely grateful for the money and the advice. I was kinda glad to help.

Then I thought that he had already traveled some 45 miles from the north to get where he was on the trail. He was wiped out and I was sending him on a train that was going to dump him in one of the east coast's most dangerous cities, with thunderstorms on the way for the rest of that evening. So I did another summation of the situation and offered to take him to where he was going in Williamstown. After an hour of pedaling back home, cleaning up and heading back to pick him up, I toss his bike in the back of my truck. He's pedaling a Huffy 3 speed english racer type bike. Carrying a backpack that must have weighed 45 pounds or so.

This kid, like your own passenger, had life issues, after having some back and forth conversation on the way down. Kicked out of his mom's home, with no where or no one to go to near home; his plan was to go to Williamstown and "hook up with some old high school friends" at a park in that town. No job, so no money coming in. Just a crap bike and the back pack with his worldly possessions inside. When he told me during the drive that he was into knives, I got to thinking that maybe I should have just passed this dude on the path and had been on my way......

Eventually, I got him to his park, where God knows whatever happened to him. Some things came to mind: You want to help. In my case, I am not swimming in money by no means whatsoever. That 20 I gave him comes to something important when the bills roll in and the income is a fixed one. Despite this, the old term "by the grace of God, go I" comes to mind. You learn in conversation that there is a lot of dysfunction going on within a lot of people these days. When I asked him if he had any family he could possibly stay with and he said No, I realized this guy's life is messed up big time and I'm not sure if he has the wherewithal to re-right his ship to an even keel. This kid was just winging things on an hour by hour basis. I got to thinking of all of the dysfunctional young people who have tripped off the line in the past 5-10 years or so in this world of ours, causing unspeakable violence and mayhem and sorrow. Trust me, there was something "off" here. I wish him well as I wish your own passenger well. But I come away thinking there is only so much that we can do and the rest is up to God or Luck to see them through to the next day.

And the thing of it all is, is that a few twists and turns the wrong way and any one of us can be in the same predicament as these two passengers of ours were in. It's a fine line....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Chief and Mike great to see you lending a hand to those in need. And the need is great for many theses days, thankfully the two guys did not bight the helping hand. Indeed many are only one missed pay check or loss of job to start a downward spiral.

Chief hope your new supervisor gets sorted out, work is hard enough without some fool throwing his imagined weight around.

Mike come to OZ and I can guarantee a meeting with a close passing oblivious to the rest of the world rider, EVERY SINGLE RIDE... sorry of the angry caps but these guys really get up my nose. If a car cut them up on the road they are rightly angry, but they do it to other riders and walkers on shared paths and its everyone else's fault.

A roady bunch managed to run a guy down and knock him out a few months on my favourite Fernleigh track. Lucky he was young and recovered, could kill some of the older people who use the track. And their excuse, the guy that hit him had joined in on the back of their bunch, and was not part of their group!!

Still does not explain why they were riding at 35km plus on a narrow shared path... UPHILL!! I am all for more people out on bikes, I just wish the "pro-roadies" work a day types would show a least a little respect or commonsense .

I feel better now, until tomorrow when I ride that track to work on a heavy Surly Troll and some dope cuts me up, don't worry you will hear me in the States

OZ.

mtbr member
    It's funny how we (on bikes) get to see a lot more of the world and it's issues than when we're flying by things in our cars. You stop to help some one and get to talk ....not text, not call, not skype; you talk with the person and interact with them read their body language to assess the person and their situation.

Nice of you to help these wandering individuals.

Mike, good for you. Catch the guy and give him a piece of your mind .... Tooo good. LOL

He had to shit when you caught him. LOL

Surly, I've seen that kind of behavior both local, with the spandex crowd in a paceline, taking up the better part of our county back roads; yellow double lines so the car technically cannot pass them. And it's been that way for a good long time with those types of riders; their attitude sucks when they don the spandex and mount the weeny weight bike. I had no clue whatsoever there was a guy barreling down that train bridge path until he was right along side me. The cinder path off of the bridge itself is a meandering, 90 degree turns affair leading up to the little suspension walking bridge over the lock chamber. This moron could have just as easily done a head-on with a person walking their dog or walking alongside their loved one. It's that complete lack of consideration that jolted me into reality that pissed me off. So I feel for what you go through on your own ride.

Thanks, Chief! Yeah, he wasn't expecting to see me. Still cannot get over him passing me on that tight bridge the way he did. It was like a Tour de France move, just short of deploying his elbows to shunt me aside. Thing is, he didn't go the full length of the towpath to Duck Island, I was kinda looking forward to continuing the conversation as I was. He was long gone by the time I made my turnaround point.

On another interesting front, the state of NJ actually installed two D&R state park signage in two areas of the upper reaches since I last visited there. Even cut back on some intruding weeds and brush. Amazing!

Let me know if you can make a ride late week this week, over there on the D&L towpath as we discussed before.....

Mike

mtbr member
    No ride yesterday, excessive heat warnings; good rest day ....... but there were other reasons.
    My MIL has been having issues with her back. At 82 she's very active. When the weather allows (heat = no good) she walks a few miles each and everyday. Since we've been in this August, high humidity and high temps she hasn't been getting her walks in. We'll take her to the mall to walk or shopping with us ever now and then but it's nothing like she's used to. Her back has been bothering her. I try to help with exercises to help strengthen her core, but I know nothing. LOL. Back surgery (2000), recent SI joint issues and every once in a while my back aches but it's from not doing my exercises.
    So yesterday my bride texts me and she's taking her Mom to the ER. She as a doctor appointment on Thursday but she's had enough. Severe pain, crying, can't get comfortable sitting or standing .... walking is a joke. To the ER, no Xray, no CAT scan; sciatica diagnosis, inflammation. Ice, steriod, anti-inflammatory and some pain pills (tramadol). She does OK getting home, walks around a little at home but she gets tried and takes a nap. When she gets up from the nap and pain is back, she heads to the bathroom and it jumps on her. I get a text from my wife that Mom is trapped in the bathroom and can't move. I get there (4:30ish) and she is a mess, crying, can't move. We send our son to the pharmacy to pick up the scripts and the tramadol is a codeine derivative, she's allergic to codeine, the pharmacy doesn't want to fill the script. Call to the ER and the doc says it's low grade give it a try, calls the pharmacy and we get the meds. She take them and we wait for it to kick in. I had these for my knee surgery rehab. They do OK, not great. Well the tramadol doesn't catch up to the pain. Back the Er in a ambulance since she couldn't walk. In the ER say 6 ish. Assessmen, blood work, CAT scan .... all negative. Pain is still there. The Paramedic have her a shot during the ride to the ER and it helped. The tests show nothing. Doc says lets bump up the pain med ..... percocet or vicodin . Your the dc you choose, she gets perc's which I hate (bad dreams). We sit and wait and watch the perc's kick in. LOL
    We get her up and out of the hospital at 12:20am
    SO no ride yesterday and we'll see about today because I'm dragging right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sorry to hear the MIL is having such difficulties. You're very kind and I can see you are there for her, a wonderful thing. All my good thoughts for you and her.

---
    A lovely sunny day here on the Island today, with some terrific racing to watch. I spent all day in Ramsey: did postcards, had lunch there, chatted with bunches of other race watchers, saw the events, etc. The ManxGP is just an amazing event in every way, and I love this Isle of Man.

I stopped into a local bicycle shop while I was in Ramsey to ask about the notion of bringing my Sumo over here. The owner of the shop, when I asked about the differences between USA Class 1 ebike and the UK/Euro standard, just looked at me and said, "I've had a couple other people from the USA bring a bike over for their holiday here. No one ever said boo about it, I bet those blokes in Customs haven't got a clue which one is which." And laughed. "Just ship it to me, I'll receive it for you and have it all ready when you arrive."

Given his response, I think the biggest hurdle is the cost of shipping the bike over. Things to think about...

No racing tomorrow, my buddy and I are going to the motor museum in the south of the Isle, and then the last day of racing is on Friday. Fun fun fun!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Headed South this week. On my way down I hit a new trail in Southern Ohio. It is the Scioto trail which is located in an area patchworked by national forest and state park land. The trailhead was completely unmarked and the directions I used took me to the wrong place. I managed to guess at a parking area and there was a guy there in a pickup truck. I asked him if he knew where the Mountain Bike trail was. He said "I've seen bikers go that way, but I don't know how they do it, it literally takes you straight to the top of that Ridge. I think it would be really hard on that bike" (seeing my fat bike). I asked if he was hiking or camping there he said "nope, I am an ordinance disposal specialist." Seeing my obviously puzzled face he continued, "Back in WWI this area was used for artillery training and the government has been slowly clearing it out since the Reagan administration. We go through and confirm areas as clear, or if we find something, we get rid of it." So that was interesting. I thanked him and proceeded to ride my bike up to the top of the ridge on "that bike". To be fair, it was really hard. The trail was not very long, but I forgot water and it was almost 90 degrees, so that was OK. I later found a map which showed additional mileage which I will surely visit if I ever return. It was challenging grades and natural stream crossings but not overly technical. So pretty good stuff. Fat Biking and health-img_3821.jpg

Chief: I'm sorry to hear about what your mother in law is going through; as well as you and Mrs Chief too. I'm typing this right now at the kitchen table, looking out the window into a sharp and clear morning. I predict a good day today for your mother in law as the extreme heat, humidity and murkiness within the air we breath will be gone. You are a good person, a fine son in law to look after Mom they way you do.

G: That sounds great! Reading the other day about the Bosch chargers, I am of the belief that the new 2 amp charger is accepting of 110 and 230 volts input. I do not get the impression the classic charger is capable of this. Might want to ask that bike shop owner about that. Great to hear you are having a fine time over there. I you tubed some isle of man tt motorcycle races and have come to the conclusion this is about as dangerous a game as ever has been played.

TexMex: I recall an old RoadRunner touring motorcycle magazine did an article on the Scioto River motorcycle tour. Sounds nice, except for the part where they are still on the hunt for unexploded devices. You "should" be okay. LOL. One of my old CG units, second from last before retiring, was onboard the USCGC Scioto, based in Iowa on the mississippi river. So your trail there has a certain fondness to me when mentioned because of the name association!

A great turnabout weather wise from the past weeks worth of hazy, murky, super hot, super water saturated air. So an extended ride is on tap for today with a report to follow!
    In the meantime, some pics from yesterday's Lock 1 ride in super hot, hazy humid weather conditions mid morning to early afternoon....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3411.jpg
    Northbound, at the Crystal Lake Park property...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3413.jpg
    Recall my rant the other day about the idiot passing me on the Crosswicks Creek Bridge: here is where he decided to pass me at going fast....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3414.jpg
    Up north of the I-295 overpass, the parks folks placed two markers along the trail noting the significance of the old canal and the surrounding areas. A nice touch, it is.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3415.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3417.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3418.jpg
    This one is at the most northern gate, at Duck Island, Trenton, NJ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G: That sounds great! Reading the other day about the Bosch chargers, I am of the belief that the new 2 amp charger is accepting of 110 and 230 volts input. I do not get the impression the classic charger is capable of this. Might want to ask that bike shop owner about that. Great to hear you are having a fine time over there. I you tubed some isle of man tt motorcycle races and have come to the conclusion this is about as dangerous a game as ever has been played.
    I don't really need the shop owner here to vet what AC input the charger will take, I'll just check my specs and/or call Bosch support. It's not difficult. (Bosch offers three chargers for their CX Performance Line drive systems. I believe I have the Compact Charger with my Sumo delivered as standard. It is compatible with 110 to 230V mains in the US, Australia, Europe, and the UK using a simple plug adapter. But I'll check that when I get home. )

Motorcycle road racing has been a part of my life since the middle 1970s. None of it is for the faint of heart, there are many risks involved. A real road circuit like the IoM TT/ManxGP races is the most difficult of all due to the long long circuit and variability of conditions on the road.

It is important to remember that road racers, nay, any racers (including velociped riders) don't do it for the danger and the risk. They do it for the chance to expand the potentials of life and human ability, and accept the risk as the price to pay for that endeavor. Those who do it only to dare against risk of death usually don't last very long.

I have been gifted with knowing some amazing men and women competing in these sports over the years. They have been, to an individual, the most courageous and intensely driven, kindest and most caring people I've ever known. When you accept the risk of pushing the boundaries beyond the norm and go at it with eyes open and intelligence, you see the world in a different way.

I've been visiting the Isle of Man for the races and to be with my friends here for twenty years now. Despite how difficult it is to get here, how expensive it can be, and how intense the sadness that comes when someone gets hurt or killed. It is the stuff of life itself. When even one falls, the whole community feels the pain and supports them, their family, and each other. It is an amazing thing, and expands consciousness like nothing else I've experienced in all my life.

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I hope everyone's been out riding and enjoying some warm weather. It's been cool and damp here since racing ended on Friday. One more full day here, then it's on to England for a week.

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, great to see most of you out riding.

Tex unexploded ordnance, makes riding with the old deadly snake down here seem tame glad you made it back only dehydrated.

Chief hope your MIL is on the mend, I hope my kids and family are around to help me out as well as you do. Your beloved Eagles made the news down here yesterday with the story of Jordan Mailata making the cut to the 53 man squad. Hopefully he makes a good fist of the opportunity his has been given.

G I would love to see a TT race live, every time I watch one of the races it has me on the edge of my seat. Makes moto gp's look tame, and thats not easy to do.

Mike nice report great to see you making the most of your summers run. The down time in winter must make it all the more enjoyable to be out and about.

Speaking of out and about my lake of posting rides has been due to a visit from a "old man H" making sitting a bit of a chore and no riding. Hopefully a visit to the doc's today will get things cleared up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oz: There is something magical in watching at 20 feet from the corner apex as a fast bike comes tipping in and that perilous dance of traction and power is played. Do head over to the IoM for a visit some race week. It's a racing experience like no other.

Into the quiet time now:

Window and Phone Box
    Peel, Isle of Man 2018

This morning at the Peel breakwater, it was soft and drizzly, blowy, and I had problems getting the focus correct. I realized, after looking at the exposures I made, that the soft focus was actually part of what I was seeing ... Not exactly what I wanted, but eh? It works in a fashion. I do want to head back there tomorrow and get something a bit more sharp ... and the light will likely be entirely different.

Ach, just one more full day on the Island and then off to England! I love this place.

enjoy,
    G

Surly In Oz: Indeed, though the past month of August was unusually hot and humid then normal, it was important to try and get out for my runs, to stay in condition. For there will come a time when the weather will simply be too bad to get out; what with the road conditions and the immense amount of salt the road departments employ to deice the roads.

Your Australian rugby player has made the super bowl champs. As they say, you can't teach size and he is a big one with speed to go along with it. It will be interesting to follow his career as it unfolds; he seems like a well spoken young man, as well.

Sorry to hear about your issues ongoing and hope recovery is occuring as you read this.

G: Nice picture, captures the mood of a rainy day very nicely. Sounds like a terrific time is being had over the pond.

Thursday's Ride Report To Smithville, Burlington County, NJ

I've been sitting on this ride report for no particular reason, but I think many will find it of particular interest due to the Bicycle angle. Round trip mileage was just about 27 miles, all local county back roads. The weather was sunny and hot with a touch of humidity in the air. So, here we go....
    Fat Biking and health-100_3420.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3421.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3422.jpg
    Between Homebase and Smithville, there are small country streams that empty eventually into Assicunk Creek, a small stream that itself empties into the Delaware River at Burlington City, NJ. Today, I don't think nobody does a double take as they drive over these county bridges spanning these small streams. But some 50 years plus ago, my Dad and his fishing buddy would walk these streams to find that elusive lunker chain pickerel. Property rights were a lot more relaxed than they are today as I can't imagine anyone walking on the property adjacent these small streams. he told me Henry and he always did pretty good on these streams; though I doubt in his time the waters were this sick looking coffee with cream brown.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3423.jpg
    On the Jacksonville-Easthampton Road, a Sod Farm...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3425.jpg
    Sod Farm
    Fat Biking and health-100_3424.jpg
    Coming up on the Smithville Mansion property, owned and maintained by the County of Burlington, NJ
    Fat Biking and health-100_3426.jpg
    Smithville, Burlington County, NJ

Next up: pictures of the Smithville Mansion property and Village....

Ride Report To Smithville, NJ--Part 2

Fat Biking and health-100_3427.jpg
    Entranceway to Smithville Mansion, with two large bronze american eagles.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3435.jpg
    Smithville Mansion, village of Smithville, Easthampton, NJ, Burlington County. Home to Hezekiah and Agnes Smith. HB Smith wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hezekiah_Bradley_Smith Smith was an american inventor who was instrumental in moving America into the Industrial Age with his work in manufacturing wood working machine tools and the invention of a new variation of the high wheel bicycle. His wife edited the New Jersey Mechanic magazine; kind of a Popular Mechanics kind of magazine of it's day. Together they ran the HB Smith Machine Company at this site located here on the Rancocas Creek. The creek was ideal for providing water power to the machine works. On the property was the Mansion, the Machine works buildings and company housing for it's workers, making it one of the United States first company village properties created. Wiki: Smithville Mansion | Smithville Mansion
    Fat Biking and health-100_3436.jpg
    Worker's housing.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3438.jpg
    Backside, workers housing at Smithville, NJ
    Fat Biking and health-100_3462.jpg
    Smithville Dam, Rancocas Creek. It was in this vicinity that turbines were put into use to provide power for the HB Smith Machine Company works.

Next up: A look at some interpretive markers at Smithville, explaining what went on here, back in the 1870's....

Smithville, Part 3

Some interpretive signs with old, original photos, telling of what went on here at Smithville and the HB Smith Machine Company....
    (Click to enlarge photo for better detail)
    Fat Biking and health-100_3428.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3429.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3431.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3432.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3433.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3434.jpg

Next up: The American Star Bicycle and the Smithville Bicycle Railroad.....

Ride Report To Smithville Mansion....

The Pennyfarthing high cycle was proving problematic with riders taking faceplants when going over the high front wheel. George Pressey came up with an alternative to this bike and it went into production here, at Smithville in 1880. The American Star Bicycle used a small front wheel to better stabilize the rider, who sat atop the large, high rear wheel. Publicity was stirred up when Smith employed a rider to go down the US Capitol steps, forever frozen in a photograph, to better prove the stability of the Star bike over the Pennyfarthing. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Star_Bicycle HB Smith Machine Company later developed 3 wheel bicycles and even a steam powered bicycle! Imagine how intrigued Pressey and Smith, along with his team of draftsmen and engineers and workmen, to have seen where bikes have come in 2018, with an electric assist powered, fat tired "safety bike"!
    Fat Biking and health-100_3437.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3440.jpg
    But this is what I came here to see. An original 1880's era American Star bicycle built by the HB Smith Machine Company, Smithville, NJ. In american dollars, it would cost the owner of this bike what it would cost an average person of today in buying a new car.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3443.jpg
    Rubber tires. Spoon brake which applied force upon the tire tread for braking. Leather saddle.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3442.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3444.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3446.jpg
    The meat and potatos business aspect of the HB Smith Machine Company was building machines used in woodworking. This is a mortising tool.
    Fat Biking and health-100_3445.jpg
    The incredible detail of the feet used in supporting the mortising tool: feet with toes cast in iron!

Next up: Concluding the tour with a look at the Bicycle Railroad....

Ride to Smithville Mansion-Conclusion

Agnes Gilkerson Smith passed away at a relatively young age and was buried in nearby Mt Holly, NJ. HB in mourning, had a marble statue of her created and placed in the gardens at Smithville. After HB passed away and was buried alongside his beloved wife, the Machine Company went on. An idea was floated to create a bicycle railroad here, which ran some 2 miles to Mt Holly. Practical as it allowed workers who lived in Mt Holly, to take this railroad to work; it also helped to serve as a model to drum up business elsewhere in the country. Two wikis to get started on the history of the bicycle railroad: 1. https://lostinjersey.wordpress.com/2...ycle-railroad/ 2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotchk...cycle_Railroad

Fat Biking and health-100_3441.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3447.jpg
    Burlington County tour guide alongside the Hotchkiss Bicycle Railroad bike
    Fat Biking and health-100_3448.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3457.jpg
    Click to enlarge photo...
    Fat Biking and health-100_3460.jpg
    The bicycle railroad crossed over the Rancocas Creek near 10 times in different sections between Smithville and Mt Holly.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1214946[/ATTACH
    Late 1800's photo of the Bicycle Railroad in action! (click to enlarge)
    Fat Biking and health-100_3465.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_3467.jpg
    Leaving the Smithville Mansion and Machine Works property, I thought I'd check out the trails alongside the Rancocas Creek, nearby. The shade provided some nice relief from the hot afternoon sun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-100_3461.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike great report, looking on google maps it seems you have to work hard to link all these rides together.

Have you ever Kayaked Rancocas Creek? seems like a great place to paddle and avoid those busy roads. From looking at street view on the bridges that cross it, it looks like you can paddle a long way up stream.

The bike railway seemed like a good idea at the time, I sure the inventors would be amazed at the tech in your bike. Cannot fathom what it would have been like to ride that old bike on the "roads" of the time.

Hope the summer lingers long for you.

OZ.

P.S the Doc did a little slicing this morning, hopefully it speeds things up. Not the best way to start the day, for him or me

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi G, I like the soft focus of that image seems to fit the mood. early stages of planning our next two trips to Europe. A another quick two week trip next year and a month in 2020. Trying to fit some pedal powered bike time in one of those, and if we do G.B I would love to visit the Highlands/ and Isle of Skye.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

OZ.

Hi Surly. Heres to hoping for a quick healing and recovery. I enjoy your ride reports and commentary about your far away-from-here homeland.

Yes, before this fat biking thing took me over, I was into kayaking in a big time way on these local home waters, all based around paddlng the Delaware River. 12 months of the year in sometimes hostile weather conditions at that. In the late 80's, I took my canoe and launched at Smithville, heading east towards Pemberton, on the South Branch of Rancocas Creek. I turned around at Pemberton, having reached the Pemberton Dam. Very tight, enclosed area within woods; a quiet area, quiet enough to think you were not in NJ.

In 2007, I purchased a British sea Kayak, a P&H Vela and used this for my river and creek explorations. I wanted to explore both North and South Branches of the Rancocas, so on 2 separate occasions, I set out to do one, setting the other aside for another date. On the North Branch, my turnaround point was at the dam in Mt Holly. This is the branch that eventually passes by Smithville. In the second day expedition, a trip up and back to the South Branch. I got up to the village of Lumberton, where the influence of the tide ceased and I was now fighting an outgoing current that was moving quite swiftly on that day, so I turned around and headed back to where both branches converge near the interstate 295/NJ Turnpike Bridges and headed back towards the mouth of the Rancocas where it meets the Delaware. Quite a long days of paddling.

For myself, there was something exciting about poking the bow of my kayak into the next bend of an unexplored section of river or creek, that desire to always see what was just ahead, up around the bend. I find that same excitement on my fatbike rides off on some trail or towpath; that desire to keep going to that horizon ahead.....

I think our rides here, all of ours, from Chiefs, Tex's, OldBears, G's, Wades, yourself, mine, and the dozens of other folks who once posted here prove this to be true: In that you don't need to pedal off on a 3 thousand mile trip to find what you are looking for. Adventure and the spirit of expedition is just a small ride away outside your front door.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the compliments!

I went back to Peel today to see if another view of the window and phone box was going to work: the light was totally different (hard, heavy sunlight, not a cloud in sight) and there was a car parked in front of the scene that didn't move in the hour and a half I hung around there. Oh well, another trip perhaps. I'm happy with what I caught.

I stopped into the museum in Peel and found a lovely little book named "Mountain Biking on the Isle of Man" by David Gooberman. It details twenty excellent rides, from 10 miles to 48 miles, through parts of the Isle that are nearly impossible to know about from the road, at everything from "beginner" technical difficulty to "well, I almost didn't get through this one" level.

The next time I come over, I'll have a bike to ride for sure. One way or another.

Ferry to Liverpool early in the morning. I am always sad to leave the Isle, and always look forward to my next journey here.

Onwards,
    G

mtbr member
    Oz, heal up quick
    Mike, good reports as always
    Ramarran, look on the bright side, you'll be back on the bike soon
    Has anyone talked to OldBear? If you do let him know we're thinking about him and still BS'ing the pages away

Getting some miles in and staying home this week. Took care of some trail work. I should probably spend more time on my house...
    Fat Biking and health-img_3857.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_3858.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Enjoying a fine day in London with a cyclist friend. Wish I had my bike!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, looks like we are all having some time off the bikes. I have been the last week off work too, three trips to the Doc's and another one this morning will hopefully see me right. After a week of sitting around my body locked up and I need to see my remedial massage guy yesterday, it normally involves a little pain but it was terrible. Every muscle was so tense, and he was hardly using any pressure and it felt like someone sticking a knife in. So I look forward to getting all this sorted and back to work and even better back on a bike.

Speaking of which the one silver lining of the week was the good wife feeling sorry for me and telling me I should buy that new bike I had been looking at for awhile So I did a deal with my LBS and they are taking two of my old bikes as display pieces for the walls of their new shop, and I get the new bike a little cheaper. So in early October I will have a new steed that needs breaking in

Hope to see and share a ride report soon, and G you are in London go hire a Brompton perfect place to ride one. And the roads seem more bike friendly these days.

OZ.

OZ: So sorry to hear of your physical setbacks. You have my best wishes for a full and complete recovery, ASAP. Can't wait to see what bike you've picked up; though I do remember some hints you've dropped in the past year or so.

I think Chief is on vacation, down east on the New Jersey shore; which is bad timing if true as we are in the middle of one incredibly rainy, damp, ugly gray storm system that is the remnants of Hurricane Gordon. Meanwhile, to our south in the Carolina's, some bad news is the order of the day as a Cat 4 Hurricane is building for a direct hit on that area, up to Virginia's coast. Grim, as weather forecasters are calling for a destructive storm not seen in that region since Hugo, back in the 1980's. Say a prayer for our friends in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia...

No riding since 2 Sunday's ago. A planned 35 miler, I suffered a rear flat 11 miles in. Then at about mile 17 or so, a catastrophic blow out of the rear inner tube. No spare tube on me, temps on the road over a hundred with high humidity, I lucked out in a way cause it was only a 2 mile walk to my neice's home. For days afterward, I did not feel up to par due to that draining walk in that tropical like heat.

The Full FatSix has a new Jumbo Jim on standby. But this Season Of The Flat Tire got me thinking to going tubeless. So today, I ordered the gear and a new front Jumbo Jim to replace the original front tire with 5600 miles on her. When the supplies run in, I'm going to set this bike up tubeless and see what that yeilds for me. I am simply done with these road side flat repairs in this summer heat......

Hoping everyone is doing well, despite the weather we've experienced; health, too. Wishing to hear from Wade, chiming in to let us know how he is doing, as well. Old Bear, too....

Mike

mtbr member
    This weekend was supposed to be a big trail work day for the club but it rained like mad all night Friday and Saturday morning. A few of us diehards went out and worked in the rain. I knew there wouldn't be a big contingent of guys and my wife bought this machine, so I made up shirts for the soggy intrepid trail workers:
    Fat Biking and health-img_3885.jpg
    I managed to get a ride in after work today
    Fat Biking and health-img_3888.jpg
    the geese are starting to gather up and fly South. There was a flock of them on the beach
    Fat Biking and health-img_3889.jpg

mtbr member
    Surly, what will you be getting?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Mike and Tex, after seeing the Doc today I get a trip to hospital in a month the have my nether regions looked at. Nothing major the Doc said, easy for him to say

As for the bike I went with one my youngest son (all 6'5" and 21 yrs of him) will want to ride occasionally a Specialized Stumperjumper Alloy 29.

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-09-11-1.31.31-pm.jpg

I was looking more along the lines of a gravel/bikepacking bike, however the bike that is going the the shop is my 2009 FSR XC. And as much as I like it, its a little on the small side for me and way to small for my son. I will have a spare Shimano SLX 1X drivetrain and 100mm Rockshock fork now, so a 27.5 hard tail frame might be purchased down the track to make use of those

Fat Biking and health-screen-shot-2018-09-11-1.42.01-pm.jpg

I still had all the stock parts that I had replaced over the years so the shop will rebuilt to the original spec and display it. The frame was very tidy and only a few marks on it.

It will be nice to see it preserved rather than trashed like the last bike I parted with, a road hybrid . I gave it to a local charity shop and a few weeks later I passed its new owner riding along the road and the back wheel was buckled and the front brakes broken. Made me a little angry, I work hard for my money and tend to look after the things that I purchase. And to see what was still a great running bike trashed after a few weeks was disappointing.

So the idea that a newly employed young bike mechanic has been give the task of stripping down the frame and rebuilding to factory "new" is great. As will be seeing it on the shop wall for years to come.

Tex great to see the trail gnomes at work, always under valued.

And Mike that storm is already making the news down here, hopefully it won't be as bad as forecast.

OZ.

Surly, I wish there were a way we could divert this rain and the coming deluge in the Carolina's to folks who are in drought, as in your homeland, as well as the terrible wild fires plaguing California.

Mike

Tex, I've mentioned this in the past but still have to ask again: how do you explain the lack of crazy summer growth within the riding areas you are on? There are no riding areas I go on that if you venture off the path, you are riding in thorns, poison of all varieties and uncontrolled weed growth.

Kudos to you and your trail maintenance gang. Your work has a positive impact on your riding area, making people care all the more for it, in the long run.

Mike

mtbr member
    Some of the areas I ride are similar to what you describe. That picture is a weird spot in Indiana at Potato Creek State Park. I think it must have been flooded long enough to kill the undergrowth but not the trees, but I really don't know know for sure. At my trails back home I think it is the Oak leaves which don't break down as much. But it's not for lack of rain that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Back from vacation and all caught up.
    My MIL didn't go with us, we seem to think she didn't want to and then got an ailment to make her stay home. We made some provisions for my youngest sister to stay with her at night. All was well, she's having some issues now that we're back. Long story and never ending ......
    Mike you brought back a memory with your post about Smithville. A buddy who has since passed ( I'm sure I mentioned him here) of brain cancer would take me there to ride. A few loops and then some trails. Man I miss Mike (my buddy).
    Vacation was GREAT, it was hot all week the pool came in handy. Some fishing and biking throughout the week. Got back Saturday, packed and unpacked in rain storms.
    WHAT a wet weekend.
    I finally got out tonight with my wife for a ride.

I think I have her hooked LOL.
    As we rode at the shore she realized that she might need a new bike. The cruiser she pushes and the one I started with in 2010 just doesn't roll as easy as mine and our daughters. I keep you informed how this goes. LOL

I'm hoping things dry out a bit, LOTS of bugs tonight. We were covered in them during the ride and gave my wife the creeps. LOL

Back at it.

Work will be interesting for a while. Another manager gave notice. My supervisor is trying to buddy up ..... not happening. I don't trust hm and don't like him. He has had run-ins with at least 5 different people in out office. One is the squad rat (reports to the home office) so not sure how he's going to survive. I'll keep you informed there too. The GM wanted to take me to lunch today but I had something to get done at home. He's fact finding.

Oh, I wanna go back.
    Fat Biking and health-img_4974.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Back in the USA!

At the halfway point of this trip. Now to October 1 it's ramble around on the east coast between Boston and New York visiting and doing the familbly thing. Then train home...

I had a grand time at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich. An amazing place, so much history there.

Welcome back, Chief and G!

Chief: Your work issues bring back memories of some reasons why I called it a career at my last unit. Just tired of the powerplays and political bs; it was liberating in a way to let everyone know I'm done.

G: Greenwich Mean Time, where time begins (or ends).

Well, I got my tubeless supplies already and off the bat, I don't like it and/or feel confident about this system. Immediately I learned why one must carry a tube or tubes in case of a major leak: there is no way a hand pump can deliver the volume of air to make the tire bead sit against the rim lip out "in the field"....unless you are skillful enough to get the tire bead right close to the edge of the rim lip. So tomorrow I'll fire up the big air compressor and see if I can get this thing to seat, then add the sealant (orange seal). If this goes well, I'll move onto the front tire after a bit of road testing on the back tire. I have 2 new Jumbo Jims on hand, so I'm starting fresh, no pin holes to fret about with the existing used tires......

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, great to see the holiday was all you wished for Chief. A wife that rides, don't know if I would want that kidding it would be nice but is never going to happen for me.

Where was your holiday to, looks like a nice place to spend some time.

Back in the USA G but still along way form home, enjoy friends and family.

Mike good luck with the tubeless set up, the type of tyre and sealant need to work together for an easy setup. My LBS asked me the other day if I wanted them to setup my new bike tubeless, took me about one second to say yes

I don't like hearing myself yell at inert objects when they won't do what I tell them

The LBS had a tough time to get the Trek tyres to seat on my Farley, hopefully you will have better luck.

Still no riding fingers crossed for the weekend.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Welcome home, Chief! With the workplace politicos and related bull pucky I chose to build a biz and incorporate it a few years later. Now I can properly live the semi-retired lifestyle, while I make the same or better coin that I would have slavin for da man 40+ hours a week. 2-3 weeks a month is plenty!

On the other topic, Momma's hooked! Time to take her shopping! You know it will not be long before she shows you how it's done, Mr.

Bear report is in!

The Bear is on his way back to Alabama. Since Susan passed, he and his son David have reconciled their issues and they are going to live together once again. Also returning to his bike and riding again! The bear has gone from a 46" waste to 52" and will be hunkering down and on point to get the weight back to respectability again. Susan will receive her memorial service in the very near future as well.

Surly, you're doin it wrong! You hafta cuss and hold your tongue just right! Frankly, my 2XL's were a pain to seat and required more than 20 psi and a generous soaking of the beads with armorall to gitter dun.

Tubeless... It does have some benefit however, tire changes, something I do from time to time make it a nuisance. Since I have owned a fatbike, I have had one flat. A thorn found my front tire and I was able to ride for 3-4 hours before needing to pump it up. If the tire makers would make a bonafide tubeless tire that can be used with or without scum, I might show more interest. All it needs is a layer of rubber .5mm lining the interior of the tire. Consider it to be on par with a Maxxis flyweight tube. Then I could do a tire change on a whim! I now have two wheel sets for the Mayor. A pair of Rolling Darryl 80mm rims and a pair of Clownshoe 100mm rims. The RD's are set up tubeless with JJ Liteskin 4.8's and the Clownshoe are tubed with Bud/Lou. The Clownshoe wheels are great for changeups! Sometimes I run Bud/Bud or Lou/Lou depending on the terrain planned.

The difference in 80's and 100's is highly noticeable. The 100's can ride looser conditions without needing to air down. The 100's are slightly heavier. The ride quality of 100's at moderate air pressure lends to a good feel and handling seeming more like a narrow tire bike than the 80's. I am not sure if this is a figment of perception as this is relatively new to the Mayor to swap between 100's and 80's in minutes. Tubeless tire swaps can be a marathon activity so I'm not exactly keen on doing it.

Tex, keep up that trail work! I have spent many hours volunteering with trail builders in the area and have really enjoyed the opportunity. All trail work is done with proper permits in place with the authority having jurisdiction. This makes it nice so nobody can whine and moan as we establish trials or remediate existing trails.

Sarge is wearing a pair of G-One 27.5 x 2.8's at the moment. These tires are lees than 700g and fast as hell! I was out antagonizing roadies over the weekend with Sarge and his street session tires. Fuel economy is amazing with these tires! Acceleration is exhilarating! The G-One tread is very fine dots of rubber, tightly packed together for near slick tire performance. They are quiet, smooth, easy to spin up, and keep rolling along with little effort.

There ya have it folks
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Wade, great report and advice, as usual. Most important, great to see you posting again. I'm hoping your pain management is held to a minimum of meds, but maintaining as close a 100% pain free condition as possible. Appreciate the Bear report; sorry to hear of the weight gain again, but he has been up and down with this battle over the years. When the time comes, I hope he comes back to maintain ownership of his thread here. His early reports and enthusiasm for fatbiking shows just how life changing riding everyday can be for one's health. I hope you relay that particular info back to him, Wade.

Wade and Surly: what I am seeing right off the bat with my 80 mm rims is that there is not a lot of room for the gorilla tape to stick to the actual rim, since the spoke heads create a lot of room for air pockets around them. I'm going to see how this goes on the rear tire first. Wade, the tables seem to have turned. For a long time here, you have tried convincing me to scrap tubes and go for tubeless. I have to tell you, I have grown tired and even a wee bit paranoid everytime I am going down some road and I hear a pop from the rear tire...."Was that a stone getting kicked out again or a nail or screw getting pierced into the tire casing?" It happens a hell of a lot. Flats have come in waves for me this past year and frankly, it's too much making roadside repairs. So this is like a last ditch effort to gain some kind of semblance of flat free riding for at least a few weeks at a time.

Tire makers really need to do something about a paper thin tire casing that allows flattening from anything sharp. My experiments with Mr Tuffy liners have proven they really do not work as well on these Schwalbes compared to the Specialized Ground Controls, of which I did have more success.

Take care and ride safe
    Mike

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike,

the tubeless solution can be very helpful to the people that experience frequent flats due to small items like thorns. Larger objects, um, no!
    If you run one pair of tires full time, it ain't a bad choice. With my RD's being tubeless with JJ liteskin 4.8's and orange seal, there have been
    no issues. Some sealants will make the tires feel and weigh in like a 5.05 with a massive thorn proof tube which is highly undesirable.
    The other item to consider... As the sealant dries out over time you will need to inject more to keep the self sealing properties active.
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Thanks for that info. Majority of my issues are teeny tiny pricks that go through the tire, Mr Tuffy and the tube; so it sounds from your advice this should help. Now, I have to go out and try to pump the tire up to seal the beads.

Orange Seal, the winter blend stuff, since I ride 12 months of the year, pending recent snow fall and salted roads, of course.

From what I've seen. 4 ounces or so of juice, but that seems awful low to me. Thinking 8 ounces per tire. Thoughts on that, please!

Oh, forgot to mention. I picked up a Lezyne pump like what you carry. This will replace the Topeak I've been using for years. What a nice little pump, well made, well designed and puts out a higher volume of air per stroke versus my Topeak.

Mike

mtbr member
    Thanks for the oldbear update.

Chief: good job getting your wife on board, that is a positive development.

Tubeless: This is my next upgrade. New tires are on the way, I will probably go with fattystrippers tubeless system. I am just trying to decide if I do it before or after the race. I am not sure I want to do anything radically different before the race. We'll see.

I went riding in Michigan at my favorite place (so far), DTE Foundation Trail. The temperature dropped, some leaves are starting to fall, just a few right now but more coming.Fat Biking and health-img_3891.jpg
    There is a big climb on this ride. I was pushing my pace all the way to the top and reached the top completely gassed, huffing and puffing. A couple of teenage boys we sitting on a log at the top resting. A lot of people stop there to be ready for the descent. The descent is the highlight of the trail, swooping, bermed, and long. It makes the most of the hard earned elevation. I caught my breath and asked the boys (who looked fit and had decent bikes) if they'd like to go ahead of me. They both nodded and said yes (their faces read "we sure don't want to get stuck behind you, old man"). They left, I waited a minute and followed. I felt good but was not really riding to pursue. It's a downhill and I have a day job, so I don't take outrageous chances for speed. Nevertheless, by the end of the descent they were in sight and within a mile I caught and passed them on the next uphill. On my fat bike. The look on their faces was priceless. I have no delusion that I am very fast, but it felt pretty good to catch those two.

Tex, well done in representing the older guy on a fatbike contingent! I think you're going to do good in your race.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Wade: Thanks for that info. Majority of my issues are teeny tiny pricks that go through the tire, Mr Tuffy and the tube; so it sounds from your advice this should help. Now, I have to go out and try to pump the tire up to seal the beads.

Orange Seal, the winter blend stuff, since I ride 12 months of the year, pending recent snow fall and salted roads, of course.

From what I've seen. 4 ounces or so of juice, but that seems awful low to me. Thinking 8 ounces per tire. Thoughts on that, please!

Oh, forgot to mention. I picked up a Lezyne pump like what you carry. This will replace the Topeak I've been using for years. What a nice little pump, well made, well designed and puts out a higher volume of air per stroke versus my Topeak.

Mike
    3-4 oz. per tire is adequate. 8 oz, you may as well grab the anchor from your boat and strap it to your bike! The nice thing about orange seal is that it doesn't harden like stans and make my tires feel like shit. I find the Lezyne fat amp to ba an awesome accessory as well as required. Nicely engineered and aimed at the fatbike. Well worth the purchase, indeed.

Tex, I have been using the gorilla tape method without issue for 3 years now. The fatty system is said to have issues with tire changes.

Good job on catching those whipper snappers! That is always priceless.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Tex, I have been using the gorilla tape method without issue for 3 years now. The fatty system is said to have issues with tire changes.

Good job on catching those whipper snappers! That is always priceless.
    I just worry that I have those goofy Gravity Bullseye Monster rims, and getting the tire to seat. I've read it is tricky. Rather than upgrade the wheels I am eventually going to just save up and upgrade the bike. In the meantime I'd like to give the tubeless a try. I'll take a look when the tires come in.

As far as the whipper snappers go, thanks! It made my day.

Thanks, Wade!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I just worry that I have those goofy Gravity Bullseye Monster rims, and getting the tire to seat. I've read it is tricky. Rather than upgrade the wheels I am eventually going to just save up and upgrade the bike. In the meantime I'd like to give the tubeless a try. I'll take a look when the tires come in.

As far as the whipper snappers go, thanks! It made my day.
    Honestly, the GBM rims may not be desirable for reliable tubeless. If the tire falls away from the edges of the rim when you deflate, tubeless is not an easy task and burping is a major issue.

You might check here for a very inexpensive pair of tubeless ready wheels.
    FREE SHIP 48 STATES* FAT BIKE WHEELS PROMO SALE PAIR of FatBike SunRingle MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Thru-Axle Wheels + FREE Tires: Top Rated Maxxis Minion FBF / FBR Yes, sold and shipped in pairs. (Front+Rear Wheel)
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Good job Tex catching the young'ens. Made me smile this morning reading that. Good luck on your race.
    Riding is going going to continue to be wet and sketchy at best the next few days to a week. We've been getting hit with rain each and every day off and on. I left work yesterday and wanted to grab a quick ride. I left work in heavy rain, went less than block and it was dry. Got home to off and on rain. That's in 8 miles. Rain is in the schedule today again and with Hurricane Flo hitting the Carolinas we'll get the wrap around from that through the weekend.
    Any trails are a mess, gonna be a while until it drys out. Lots on road riding fo the time being.
    Ears are buzzing today, took the wife to her fav. We saw Elton John last night in Philly, good show but I shudda taken the ear plugs from work.
    Hopefully I can get a ride in today between the rain drops. Also waiting on a garage door repair at the MIL's for my son.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 09-13-2018 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Tex always nice to ride down those younger, fitter and with less fear than us trails look great too.

Chief, Elton John my wife would have loved that, and I would not have forgotten the ear plugs

Serious though as I sit here in the quite after midnight my ears ring with Tinnitus from attending too may rock shows back in the eighties. The Aussie pub bands like to play it loud and I remember the bells ringing in the days after many nights out. One of those I wish I listened to my parents things, that and not getting sunburnt all summer.

Hope your garage door guys are more reliable that our "tradies" down here, spent many a day waiting for one to show up at ten o'clock only to roll up at two o'clock with some lame excuse

Anyway with the last two weeks off the bike I have had more than a little cabin fever so today I took a short walk along the Lake shoreline and some of my local trails. Could not ride still so I took a camera instead.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01641.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc01651.jpg

As always this trail is dry thanks to the slope of it.

And our ever shining sun...

Fat Biking and health-dsc01650.jpg

None of my local trails have "hero" dirt manly because the leaves never fall from our trees in great numbers and what does quickly turns to a fine dust rather than dirt.

Fat Biking and health-dsc01655.jpg

Still has its moments, hoping to be back on the bike over the weekend and not walking trails.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Hey family of fat....

I'm down In Alabama. *sweet home Alabama*.
    And united with David n Sean and of course my Blue jeep.

Last month as most of e tribe knows I lost the one true love in my life , Sue (aka mama ear) David Sean and I are all together and its sweet.

I will try to be a little more active. I will bring you some pics. And ride reports.
    For all of u who endeavour keep our thread going, a warm thank you.

Peace...Love...And Fatty goodness
    Oldbear
    Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN

mtbr member
    Great to hear from you, Oldbear! I look forward to hearing reports from the OP, almost 6500 posts later.

First Attempt, Rear Tire Tubeless Set Up Results

First off, a nice surprise to see friend OldBear posting up! Welcome back, Fred. Looking forward to you getting back in the fatbiking swing again.

Tubeless Rear Tire Notes and Observations

1. A hand pump will not work in setting the bead. So don't even bother trying. I had to use my electric compressor.

2. I used 6 ounces of Orange Seal Sub Zero, versus the 4 recommended by Wade. I was afraid I'd lose much, thus, erred on the side of caution.

3. I sprayed the beads with Simple Green to help seat the bead.

4. I used one of my canoe roof rack straps, 1 inch wide, placed at the center of the tread, to tighten down on the center of the tire in the hopes of forcing the beads to move out towards the rim. After airing up with the electric compressor, it did exactly what I wanted. Then, I finished airing up with my floor pump and air gage until I reached 30 psi and the beads popped with a forceful BANG!

5. Then I placed the tire back onto the upside-down bike, removed the presta core and let the air run out. These Scwhalbe beads do not budge off the rim once they are seated. I added 6 oz of Orange Seal via a large syringe and just allowed it to gravity feed into the tire, no problems at all.

6. Replaced core. Used floor plump to pump up to 30 psi and rotated the tire around. Noted absolutely no sealant leaking around the beads! Noted some sealant and air escaping around 5 or 6 spoke nipples and the presta valve. Minor leaks. Rotated tire for a bit. Checked pressure. Pressure dropped 5 psi or so. Topped off to 30 psi, rotated tire for a bit.

7. It is now going on 8 pm and for the last 3 hours the tire has sat on the bike which is upside down, better for spinning the back tire and distributing the sealant. No signs of leakage anywhere. Checked air pressure: 30 psi!!! I want to believe this process is a success.

8. I ordered a Blackburn Tire Plug Kit made for tubeless, for roadside repairs of holes 1/4 inch or so, but am still waiting on delivery. Next up is to do the front tire, starting with a new JJ 4.0 inch Snake Skin Addix tire.

Summary: Once that bead is popped onto the rim, most of the battle is done. I believe if I can pull this off, anyone else can. The proof though will be how it holds up on a ride.

mtbr member
    What's with people at concerts videoing songs? Why not just enjoy the performer and your company and the time your having?
    I got a ride in this evening with my wife, we did an easy 8 and I counted on for 10+. The storms were around us but we got it in.
    Fred glad your heading back to a comfortable place. I hope you get to ride again soon.

Garage guy showed, programmed the new keypad and remotes? We had them working. He left I tried the remotes and nothing the door wouldn't open. I called the guy and I have to add a new service call. My sone is me and has a temper. I laughed at him watching him try to reason with a computer. Guy will come back. He said the logic board in the opener may need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    This weekend was supposed to be a big trail work day for the club but it rained like mad all night Friday and Saturday morning. A few of us diehards went out and worked in the rain. I knew there wouldn't be a big contingent of guys and my wife bought this machine, so I made up shirts for the soggy intrepid trail workers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3885.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	1215895
    I managed to get a ride in after work today

Name:	IMG_3888.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	182.3 KB 
ID:	1215896
    the geese are starting to gather up and fly South. There was a flock of them on the beach

Name:	IMG_3889.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	1215897
    Tex, how can any of us get one of those shirts? Seriously. Those are neat.

Today after my marine hydrotherapy Cubby ( Sean) watched some fat bike videos on our tv via the internet. Cubby. Loves the music and even watched with me. He asked me " Can I have a bike?" i asked him "a fat bike?" Of course he said yes. Lol.

We took a walk round the mobil home park on the gravel driveway. Its going to be the bear's track to get back into shape.
    I have started this new chapter of oldbears life and i will go on. I have my sons e David (young bear) and Sean (cubby) to keep me going. We all in our family feel Sue's unyeilding energy and that is binding us close. I am now a patriarch to my four children and two granddaughters.
    I appreciate each e of you who contribute and keep this thing alive. I also want to express my gratitude to each of you being my family too. Days are good and ome frankly suck. I am not lone.
    Thanks
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi OldBear great to see you back posting and on the bike too, You have been through some tough times, I am sure the loving memories of your beloved Sue with give you comfort, and seems like the kids and grand kids are going to push you along.

And don't be thanking us for posting we are all just caring along what you created.

Looking forward to you ride reports.

OZ.

mtbr member
    If we can purchase the T shirts I'm in for one.

OldBear: I'm glad to know the clan has been united, despite your loss. Family will help carry you through and in turn, you will help carry the kids through in their dark moments. This year has been one of loss and uncertainty for alot of us here; but it was always a comfort to know that some caring folks were just a few keystrokes away on this here forum.

Time to get to fatbiking and health work. Ride reports. Pictures of where you've been. Maybe get into Talladega SuperSpeedway for a photo of you and the fatty up on the high banks there. I'm looking forward to your new adventures.

Rear Tubeless overnight report: Noted a loss of 2.5-3 psi on the tire gauge. No orange seal stains noted anywhere. Will pump up the tire to 30 then hopefully start on the front tire changeover.

Thoughts and prayers to anyone living in or near the areas of Hurricane Florence.

Weather here has been super high humidity, dark gray skies and occassional sprinkles of rain. One day after the other a carbon copy of the last day. Rumor has it some nice weather sunday followed by the remnants of Florence.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    If we can purchase the T shirts I'm in for one.
    I hadn't thought about it. I just made a couple for the volunteers that day. Let me look into it.

I

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    All the best to you, Oldbear. Good to see you're back, and reunited with your sons too.

Been hanging out with my old friends from as long ago as high school days the past couple of days. Gods, do we tell stories and laugh a lot! There's nothing like family and friends to make life worth living.

Re: the tubeless thing... I don't get many flats, and I can fix a flat in ten minutes when I do with my tubed tires. I've needed to fix one in 1400 miles on FCC. So I see no point to the tubeless thing for my riding. But I seem to configure my bike and ride in somewhat different ways than what most of you are doing, so maybe there is some point to the bother of it that's not apparent to me. Such it is.

Heading to RI tomorrow, just getting through a light head cold. More friends, should be more laughs...

Onwards! G

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hey family of fat....

I'm down In Alabama. *sweet home Alabama*.
    And united with David n Sean and of course my Blue jeep.

Last month as most of e tribe knows I lost the one true love in my life , Sue (aka mama ear) David Sean and I are all together and its sweet.

I will try to be a little more active. I will bring you some pics. And ride reports.
    For all of u who endeavour keep our thread going, a warm thank you.

Peace...Love...And Fatty goodness
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    The bride and I have been riding daily. Mostly streets out of the way of traffic, I need to go out and crank out some miles on the trails and it's about to get WET again here in the NE. We get the leftovers from Flo Monday into Tuesday and through the day.
    Golf tomorrow with my son at our high schools alumni association fundraiser. We'll have fun and get out and enjoy the day and each others company.

mtbr member
    Honestly, the GBM rims may not be desirable for reliable tubeless. If the tire falls away from the edges of the rim when you deflate, tubeless is not an easy task and burping is a major issue.

You might check here for a very inexpensive pair of tubeless ready wheels.
    FREE SHIP 48 STATES* FAT BIKE WHEELS PROMO SALE PAIR of FatBike SunRingle MuleFut Tubeless Compatible Thru-Axle Wheels + FREE Tires: Top Rated Maxxis Minion FBF / FBR Yes, sold and shipped in pairs. (Front+Rear Wheel)
    Thanks for the link, unfortunately the GBM frame has 135/170 QR hub spacing. There aren't many wheels available built like that, and the ones that are have the same rims. I'm going to take a crack at it with what I have. If it isn't possible, that's one more criteria to look at when I upgrade the bike. The GBM is a fun bike, but there are limitations to the available upgrades. Given the fact I enjoy riding it as-is, the main reason I'd get a new bike is to give the GBM to my wife.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the link, unfortunately the GBM frame has 135/170 QR hub spacing. There aren't many wheels available built like that, and the ones that are have the same rims. I'm going to take a crack at it with what I have. If it isn't possible, that's one more criteria to look at when I upgrade the bike. The GBM is a fun bike, but there are limitations to the available upgrades. Given the fact I enjoy riding it as-is, the main reason I'd get a new bike is to give the GBM to my wife.
    There are plenty of reasonably priced hubs that can make a set of very nice wheels come to be. Wheelbuilder.com
    is a great place to start looking. Also taking the time to shop around can save even more coin to make it happen.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    There are plenty of reasonably priced hubs that can make a set of very nice wheels come to be. Wheelbuilder.com
    is a great place to start looking. Also taking the time to shop around can save even more coin to make it happen.
    I will check this site out. Looks interesting.

Today I rode in Northern Indiana. I am finding my after work rides are a race to beat the sunset. The days are getting Horner and I'm trying to get more miles in
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    I almost hit a snake ( just a garter snake, nothing like what Oz contends with). It was snake's lucky day, as I managed to avoid him at the last second. It was my lucky day in that I didn't hit a tree in the process of avoiding the snake. The trail was very dry and the sand was very loose in spots. I brought a lot of sand back to the hotel. Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My, what sandy feet you have there, Tex.

In New York now. My friends in RI were fun to see, but I felt the need to press on and have some quiet time by myself. I have lovely accommodations here: a guest apartment AirBnB looking out on the garden in a beautiful setting very close to where I lived in New Rochelle as a child. It's amazing the amount of memory I have of this entire area, all the streets and byways. But with adult eyes now, it all seems close and tight compared to my homes in California these past 36 years.

I'd love to have FCC here. It would be fun to ride these streets and lanes again now.

A photo from the bay side of Cape Cod for your entertainment:

As Evening Begins - Eastham, Cape Cod 2018

A great trip, a journey...

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    This sign always cracks me up. Fat Biking and health-img_3903.jpgLast day in Indiana, on to Michigan.

mtbr member
    G, funny how older eyes see compared to the what the young mind remembers.

Great pic of the backside of the cape. Enjoy your travels

Been recovering from the golf outing with my son. We played, had fun. I hit the ball well and the better I hit it the harder I swung. Man I'm old, everything hurt, LOL. My toes, calfs, hips, shoulders, back. It took a day to get loose again. Riding nice and easy helped get my moving again.
    The rain has subsided and I hit one path yesterday evening and it was still wet. So hopefully we get some sun to dry them out. Lots of bugs hatching so carrying them as I ride. That drives m wife nutz. LOL
    Have a great day everyone.

mtbr member
    Hey everybody!

It's great to read all the reports. Mike, Tex, G and Oz ooops also bansheerune Wade, you guys have kept this alive and kicking. I am proud of all of you for being faithful.

Yesterday i put in a solid half hour saddle time in on the gravel drive its about 1/3 of a mile and i felt good. It was about 82f and 53% humidity. Neighbors came over to look at Blue and all remarked about how massive his tires are. Lol. I go to my cardiologist down here in two weeks. Seems that maybe the lower lead on my pacemaker might have moved up my heart a bit.
    When i had my stroke in late April, it left me with residual effects. But since i moved back home, they have diminished to a point where only my upper lip get numb. I was surprised, pleasantly i might add, on how my previous rides and conditioning ha e stayed with me.
    Currently I am 250# down 6 in two weeks. Being very careful with my diet. Zero salt. Less fatty foods and lots of water. I want to get back down to sub 235.

On the bike front, bikesdirect has a new GBEM out for 2019. It has a RST fork Sram Gx1 drivetrain. Shimano hydraulic brakes and 4.9" inch times due to the increase of the rear spacing from 170 to 190. Maybe if I'm good. Then David gets Blue and I'll have Ryback II. Lol
    Well thats about it for now campers.
    Oldbear
    PEACE...LUV...AND FATNESS

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good to hear you're getting up and about, oldbear!

This journey is in its slow and quiet period now. Another week here in NY, bumming around and visiting old friends, brothers, and walking the streets where I lived once upon a time.

I realized that this place I'm staying is a couple of blocks away from where my father used to take us for ice cream on hot summer days when I was a child. The ice cream store is still there, although no longer a corner stand, just a regular shop now. I walked over there, bought a child size cup of split chocolate-vanilla, and sat down to watch traffic and people.

And as I sat there looking at the scene, a memory resurfaced. That corner, Webster and Sickles, was the site of a train station for the New York, Westchester, & Boston Electric Railway that ran from 1912 to 1937, and then went broke. They dismantled and scrapped the rails in '39-41, but bits and pieces of the train line ran all over this part of lower Westchester and were very evident when I was a child. It has been a life long passion to visit "my private railroad" whenever I'm in the area and the memory surfaces.

So I poked around the back of the buildings across the street and there, in the bones of the building, the old railroad architecture still lives. They've filled in the cut where the rails were and took out all the platforms and underpass they used to run through, but the bones of the land still show where the trains were.

A couple of teenagers were watching me walk around and photograph the backs of the buildings. "What you doin'?" the girl said. I looked at her.

"When I was half your age now, fifty-nine years ago, I used to eat ice cream with my dad across the street there at that ice cream stand. Right here, under our feet now, there were the remains of a railroad station that disappeared a decade and some before I was born. We used to climb down the gully and hunt around under the old platforms right there," pointing, "where they've walled it up now. That apartment building there was right on the side of the track and was where wealthy folks who wanted to live near the country but work in the city bought apartments so they could get back and forth. ..." I showed them all that I'd been looking at, some photos of the rail houses and towers, switchgear,, that I dredged up on my phone.

"Holy shit, man! That's amazing! I've lived here all my life and no one ever told me that there was a railroad here before! This is fantastic! I gotta find out more!" said the two boys together. One of them said he lived in that apartment building. Almost made me cry: such nice young kids, trying to grow up and be men and women, and no one has ever given them any history of their own home, any context of the real world to hold and and make their own. All foolishness and hysteria on the radio, the tv, the net. No wonder the world is in such a state.

Then I got in my car and drove to the neighborhood where I lived a short time in my mothers last house, up the other end of town. The northern spur of the same railroad once passed through that area on its way up to White Plain. I drove to the end of the boulevard where I'd done my last growing up before moving West in the 1970s and walked down an old familiar road to what has been a private home since that time...

What you see there is the entrance to the last, complete, undemolished station of my railroad. Gone before I was born, but beautiful, serene, and quietly plying the rails of a boyhood fantasy track in and around the woods and lanes of my home all my life, and until my Time is gone.

It fills me with a great sense of joy and wonder to see it all still there, still intact in my memory. And with a great sadness that it no longer exists in this world except to the very few, like me, like us, who remember and treasure the real earth that we live in.

Onwards, always onwards.
    G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Good to hear you're getting up and about, oldbear!

This journey is in its slow and quiet period now. Another week here in NY, bumming around and visiting old friends, brothers, and walking the streets where I lived once upon a time.

I realized that this place I'm staying is a couple of blocks away from where my father used to take us for ice cream on hot summer days when I was a child. The ice cream store is still there, although no longer a corner stand, just a regular shop now. I walked over there, bought a child size cup of split chocolate-vanilla, and sat down to watch traffic and people.

And as I sat there looking at the scene, a memory resurfaced. That corner, Webster and Sickles, was the site of a train station for the New York, Westchester, & Boston Electric Railway that ran from 1912 to 1937, and then went broke. They dismantled and scrapped the rails in '39-41, but bits and pieces of the train line ran all over this part of lower Westchester and were very evident when I was a child. It has been a life long passion to visit "my private railroad" whenever I'm in the area and the memory surfaces.

So I poked around the back of the buildings across the street and there, in the bones of the building, the old railroad architecture still lives. They've filled in the cut where the rails were and took out all the platforms and underpass they used to run through, but the bones of the land still show where the trains were.

A couple of teenagers were watching me walk around and photograph the backs of the buildings. "What you doin'?" the girl said. I looked at her.

"When I was half your age now, fifty-nine years ago, I used to eat ice cream with my dad across the street there at that ice cream stand. Right here, under our feet now, there were the remains of a railroad station that disappeared a decade and some before I was born. We used to climb down the gully and hunt around under the old platforms right there," pointing, "where they've walled it up now. That apartment building there was right on the side of the track and was where wealthy folks who wanted to live near the country but work in the city bought apartments so they could get back and forth. ..." I showed them all that I'd been looking at, some photos of the rail houses and towers, switchgear,, that I dredged up on my phone.

"Holy shit, man! That's amazing! I've lived here all my life and no one ever told me that there was a railroad here before! This is fantastic! I gotta find out more!" said the two boys together. One of them said he lived in that apartment building. Almost made me cry: such nice young kids, trying to grow up and be men and women, and no one has ever given them any history of their own home, any context of the real world to hold and and make their own. All foolishness and hysteria on the radio, the tv, the net. No wonder the world is in such a state.

Then I got in my car and drove to the neighborhood where I lived a short time in my mothers last house, up the other end of town. The northern spur of the same railroad once passed through that area on its way up to White Plain. I drove to the end of the boulevard where I'd done my last growing up before moving West in the 1970s and walked down an old familiar road to what has been a private home since that time...

What you see there is the entrance to the last, complete, undemolished station of my railroad. Gone before I was born, but beautiful, serene, and quietly plying the rails of a boyhood fantasy track in and around the woods and lanes of my home all my life, and until my Time is gone.

It fills me with a great sense of joy and wonder to see it all still there, still intact in my memory. And with a great sadness that it no longer exists in this world except to the very few, like me, like us, who remember and treasure the real earth that we live in.

Onwards, always onwards.
    G
    G

Cool story. The railroad part is really interesting to me because other than fat biking railroads are a hobby of mine too.
    Exploring old 'fallen flag' right of ways is very cool. Rails To Trails is one of the best things that can be done to old roadbed. The KATY trail up in Missouri is 240 miles long and follows the old KATY ROW from the Mississippi to Sedalia Missouri.

No riding yet today as the heat is up already. Going to head out this evening to put in a few laps for 45 minutes.

PEACE...LUV...and FATNESS
    Oldbear, Cubby and Young bear.

Fantastic reports from Old Bear and G! Loving that RR history as well, as you all know.

Nothing to report here since my back tire blowout going on 3 sundays ago this weekend and my forays into going tubeless. Actually there is stuff to report: The fatsix still sits upside down, the back tire holding pressure okay, but the front failed, so I undid the gorilla tape and went with a lighter Zip System Flashing Tape. Good news is it sealed immediately, no leaks. Bad news is the brand new 120 buck tire blew out at 30 psi at the rim bead in one area, ruining the tire bead in the process. Seems the slick flashing tape sitting in the groove of the rim allowed the tire to bulge out in one area before blowing. My new tire arrived, but I have yet to reapply the new flashing tape on that rim. This tubeless business sucks.

Meanwhile, Fatboy has an issue with the rear derailleur twist grip and/or the salt from last winters ride into town has helped mess with the movement of the derailleur. So I have to look into that. A lotta excuses and this not riding is killing me.

Oh, and ya know, I honestly don't recall when was the last time we enjoyed a humidity-free day that was sunny...

Take care, gang.

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone!

I just spent some time going back to catch up a bit. When i began reading the posts up to and after the 7th of August. I saw the genuine concern and outpouring of support and condolences from all of you. It touched my heart and is comfort still as i read through them.
    On behalf of the bear clan i wish to thank you all.
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, nice march through history G, We had a few years away from home and I now just a km or so from were I grew up. Indeed my local trails are an area a large pack of us then kids use to spend all day climbing, exploring, swimming and just being kids. These days Its just me on a bike

Oldbear great to see you back and having a little fun, I know everyone would feel the same way. After all you started this adventure for all of us.

Mike shame about your bike, I know what its like to not get any rides in. I have had two rides in three weeks not happy Jan...

Still the worst of my problems seems to be behind me and I was super happy to be back at work today, second day it three weeks as well. Riding in and home was so good and tomorrow holds the promise of a proper ride So with any luck I will have a ride report to share.

Hope your bikes are rubber side down soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the compliments and well wishes, everyone!

Oldbear: You're very welcome, my heart goes out to you in support for all the trauma you've been through. May you heal and be well quickly! Life is worth fighting for, even if it gets rough some times.

Mike: I'd never put up with all that tubeless nonsense. When someone makes actual, real, tubeless fat bike tires and wheels that work properly, and suit my uses well, I'll do it ... Not before. I am very happy with the tubed tire/wheel setup on both my bikes and see absolutely no reason or sense in changing them at this point in time, regardless what theoretical benefit I might accrue, given all the mess and annoyance that going tubeless seems to require.

Yesterday one of my younger brothers and I took a trip down to Manhattan to visit the Intrepid Museum and had a fantastic time. I'm here in NY and Connecticut for one more week, a few more visits and a few more events, and then on October 1 I hop on the train at Penn Station in Manhattan for the journey home across the USA. I know that's going to be a kick. But I can't wait to get home to my partner and back to cycling... It's been a month away now and I'm itching for a ride!

Onwards, ever onwards!
    G

Surly in Oz: Yep, despite the crap weather we've had, I'm missing getting out there. From the other side of the globe: best wishes in your recovery; the sooner the better you can get back to riding.

G: Oh, I agree. But that sunday ride before labor day, 1 flattened rear followed by the tube blow out some 8 miles later had me fit to be tied. The money spent on 3 new tires, 1 on the rear and now 2 for the front makes me want to puke. Agree 1000 percent: this industry needs to come up with a true tubeless tire and rim as an industry standard, aside from the department store bikes. And make the damned tire carcass itself more impervious to flats. They can do it on commuter style bike tires; why not the fatties?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Fantastic reports from Old Bear and G! Loving that RR history as well, as you all know.

Nothing to report here since my back tire blowout going on 3 sundays ago this weekend and my forays into going tubeless. Actually there is stuff to report: The fatsix still sits upside down, the back tire holding pressure okay, but the front failed, so I undid the gorilla tape and went with a lighter Zip System Flashing Tape. Good news is it sealed immediately, no leaks. Bad news is the brand new 120 buck tire blew out at 30 psi at the rim bead in one area, ruining the tire bead in the process. Seems the slick flashing tape sitting in the groove of the rim allowed the tire to bulge out in one area before blowing. My new tire arrived, but I have yet to reapply the new flashing tape on that rim. This tubeless business sucks.

Meanwhile, Fatboy has an issue with the rear derailleur twist grip and/or the salt from last winters ride into town has helped mess with the movement of the derailleur. So I have to look into that. A lotta excuses and this not riding is killing me.

Oh, and ya know, I honestly don't recall when was the last time we enjoyed a humidity-free day that was sunny...

Take care, gang.
    Going tubeless is not the thing to do at high pressures. The tube actually prevents the bead from being stressed to the breaking point. 15-18 psi is enough to be plenty efficient without the basketball effect and a destructive blowoff. Lest you're working on going to your final resting place in a piano case.

As for the gorilla tape method, you MUST set the tape with a tube prior to moving to tubeless. This will set the tape over and around the spoke nipples properly with no air space around em. 24-48 hours with a tube sets the tape for excellent results. I've not had any issue in 3+ years. Be mindful to cover the entire width of the rim to prevent the rim strip from blowing out. As your pix show, your rim strips are bulging considerably with a tube present. Without a tube, there is no reinforcement of the strip.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Heya Banshee:
    Tubeless is way too much work for me. My tires' suggested range for operation is 15 to 30 psi, 18 psi is too low. So I'll never go there until real rims and tires that are designed to work the way I need appear.

---
    I moved accommodations yesterday, will have a La Quinta Inn room as my home base for the remainder of the time I stay here on the east coast. Yesterday was a day to move there and then deal with a few other travel necessities...

Sitting by the Roadside Waiting for Laundry - Elmsford, NY 2018
    iPhone 8 Plus

Have to say: An iPhone 8 Plus, a nice little tabletop tripod, and matching phone holder is an amazingly powerful and high-quality camera!

Onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    G, great read. Thanks for sharing. The old architecture will last forever and looks so good. Glad to read the teens took an interest and surprised they even noticed you poking around and taking pictures. Their faces are usually in their phones. It's also interesting that they asked you what you were doing.
    Stepping back in time in your memory is a good thing and fun to be able to do..

I love looking around as I ride in new spots.

Glad to see Old bear back posting. Hang in there Fred. You and your family are in our thoughts.

I got back on my Fuse (fat as I got) I did some exploring on the Fuse along the tracks of the Northeast corridor by the PA Turnpike bridge. It's a dirt road turn off that I have been meaning to explore. I got on the opposite side of the tracks from the Grundy Tower (RR term). I didn't have my phone and will god back to get some shots. Some cool art work on the bridge supports. But here's a Conrail pic of the tower.
    Fat Biking and health-40840394204_4e78abc775_b.jpg
    I went by it under and beyond the TP bridge and had to come back. With all the rain the trail was underwater. I will get back to it and see how far I can safely ride along the tracks. I came back under the TP bridge and hit the canal back into town.
    I pulled my quad while back walking down a slope, just a tweak but it's been there. During this ride I tweaked it again trying to move the bike from a stop. My left foot was up and as I pushed to get moving to cross a street I felt the burn through the quadricep. I iced it. I rode easy the past fews days. It's feeling better but taking it easy to get it right. It's been going on for a week or two now. Feeling good other wise.
    Rain all day today and rain in the forecast for the next week.
    Lots of stretching and core work and a ride where I can get out.
    The heat is gone, the humidity has lingered but man it was nice yesterday.

Mike if you do get out pay attention along your canal routes.
    There is a fugitive search going on in Bucks County. A guy from Trevose wanted for multiple counts of child sexual abuse and rape is on the run in the area from Morrisville to New Hope and considered dangerous. Check the news for information

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone checking in from down under, had some nice coastal rain the last two days which is welcome, unfortunately its not made its way inland where it is really needed. Had a 4.30 am start Monday morning and managed to get into work dry, which is always a bonus.

Nice to be back at work, still not 100% had to ring my Doctor yesterday to ask about stopping the pills he had me on as they are churning my stomach. Off those now so I hope it settles down today, and I heading out now for a allergy test to see if we can find out what happened. Never had an allergic reaction before and don't want one ever again.

Managed to get a nice ride in on Saturday, just could not stay in anymore and it was fantastic, I have a ride report to post later.

The photo looks great G, I need to upgrade my old iPhone 4s one day.

Chief you and Mike need to get together for a run around your neck of the woods. Seems like you need to ride two up with some of the unsavoury types out there. I would have liked a Fuse a few years ago, but the local dealer did not import them the one year I went to get one. I have pointed a few guys at work towards them as a great all-round bike.

DH and Pepper are you guys still around, this place is missing the desert landscapes and German hills.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Hi...
    Nothing much to report on the Alabama front. Just thought I'd drop in to say hi to everyone. I have been riding in the evenings. About 35-45 minutes. It is mainly on our gravel driveway.

Unitil later...PEACE....LUV..AND FATTY GOODNESS.
    OLDBEAR

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Spent a good bit of yesterday in Manhattan visiting a good friend from the photography world. Another friend of ours trained in from Philadelphia to join us too. It was a terrific day!

One week left before I hop on the train West! Still have some visiting to do, and a wedding to attend ... But I'm ready! I figured out yesterday that getting to Penn Station is going to be far easier than I thought: AmTrak has a train that goes straight from New Rochelle Station (ten minutes walk from where I have to drop off the rental car) to Penn Station in 30 minutes! Easy easy!!

I need a ride!

G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Yesterday was the Deluge Revisited. I wonder if any unicorns survived this time...?

Two of my photos from the visit to the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan, NYC:

Intrepid Transom - Intrepid Museum, Manhattan, NY 2018

Blackbird Business End - Intrepid Museum, Manhattan, NY 2018

enjoy,
    G

mtbr member
    First off, a nice surprise to see friend OldBear posting up! Welcome back, Fred. Looking forward to you getting back in the fatbiking swing again.

Tubeless Rear Tire Notes and Observations

1. A hand pump will not work in setting the bead. So don't even bother trying. I had to use my electric compressor.

2. I used 6 ounces of Orange Seal Sub Zero, versus the 4 recommended by Wade. I was afraid I'd lose much, thus, erred on the side of caution.

3. I sprayed the beads with Simple Green to help seat the bead.

4. I used one of my canoe roof rack straps, 1 inch wide, placed at the center of the tread, to tighten down on the center of the tire in the hopes of forcing the beads to move out towards the rim. After airing up with the electric compressor, it did exactly what I wanted. Then, I finished airing up with my floor pump and air gage until I reached 30 psi and the beads popped with a forceful BANG!

5. Then I placed the tire back onto the upside-down bike, removed the presta core and let the air run out. These Scwhalbe beads do not budge off the rim once they are seated. I added 6 oz of Orange Seal via a large syringe and just allowed it to gravity feed into the tire, no problems at all.

6. Replaced core. Used floor plump to pump up to 30 psi and rotated the tire around. Noted absolutely no sealant leaking around the beads! Noted some sealant and air escaping around 5 or 6 spoke nipples and the presta valve. Minor leaks. Rotated tire for a bit. Checked pressure. Pressure dropped 5 psi or so. Topped off to 30 psi, rotated tire for a bit.

7. It is now going on 8 pm and for the last 3 hours the tire has sat on the bike which is upside down, better for spinning the back tire and distributing the sealant. No signs of leakage anywhere. Checked air pressure: 30 psi!!! I want to believe this process is a success.

8. I ordered a Blackburn Tire Plug Kit made for tubeless, for roadside repairs of holes 1/4 inch or so, but am still waiting on delivery. Next up is to do the front tire, starting with a new JJ 4.0 inch Snake Skin Addix tire.

Summary: Once that bead is popped onto the rim, most of the battle is done. I believe if I can pull this off, anyone else can. The proof though will be how it holds up on a ride.

I went with split-tube tubeless. I am comparing Orange Seal Endurance to Finish Line. Both seem pretty good.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    DH, did you save net weight with split tubeless?

After my last trip to Indiana I travelled to Michigan. My daughter lives there so I brought one of the bikes I bought for the kids when they all still lived at home. It was an inexpensive 27.5 hardtail. She really enjoyed it and said "I think this going to be my thing".
    So then she travelled home over the weekend and we rode my home trails together. She got her first taste of "technical" trails. But she was still smiling
    Unfortunately, the bike was stolen out of her car when she went to visit a friend in Columbus. So, dad is getting her a fat bike. It should arrive this weekend.
    I left for Canada Yesterday and stopped on my way to ride the old towpath along the Maumee river in Waterville, Ohio. I managed to find a window between the rainstorms.
    Today I rode Puslinch Lake in Ontario.
    Tomorrow I head home. I am hoping to hit a new trail on the way. Stay tuned.