I've been looking at Mulefuts ...
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    I've been looking at Mulefuts ...
    I have the 50mm version of the mulefut. Glad they were factory built cause it woulda been a bitch to make em bitchen enough for Sarge and Aisan. :/
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The 80 mm variety are what I be liking currently.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    The 80 mm variety are what I be liking currently.
    80's are identical to the 50's. Definitely a good product.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Listening to Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood and Christmas Album as I so often do to see out a year's end.

Cheers to all ye merry gentlemen.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Visiting friends on the Isle of Man for the end of 2017 ... Paul and I decided to go out for some photo shooting to Peel, Nyarbl, and St. John's Mills ...

Traditional Manx Thatched Cottages Nyarbl 2017

Leica M-D + Summicron-M 50mm f/2

Click above for the full set of six.
    I am beginning to go into withdrawal for lack of a ride here... the IOM would be a superb place to ride my bike! Ah well ... home on the fourth, ride on the fifth.

Happy New Year to all!
    G

mtbr member
    Definitely on my list of places to go, G. I've spent a good bit of time all over the UK and Ireland, but the only smaller island I've visited was Arran.

Letting a late breakfast digest before hitting the trail today.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Visiting friends on the Isle of Man for the end of 2017 ... Paul and I decided to go out for some photo shooting to Peel, Nyarbl, and St. John's Mills ...

I am beginning to go into withdrawal for lack of a ride here... the IOM would be a superb place to ride my bike! Ah well ... home on the fourth, ride on the fifth.

Happy New Year to all!
    G
    G, it cannot be done without taking my bike with!! *Throws tantrum*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Did about 4 miles of Hawes today. Definitely a workout. I was the only rider of a rigid out there. One hiker lit up when she saw the behemoth and shouted out, "Can those go out on snow?" When I said they sure could, she nudged her boyfriend and said, "That's what I was telling you about!"

Fat Biking and health-img_20180101_150803993.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180101_151058939.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_20180101_150537477.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Well DH, I can safely say my ride was a lot different than yours. It was 10 degrees and definitely no cactus.It was a cold but sunny New Year's Day. I arrived at the trailhead and one of the other trail volunteers happened to be getting ready for a ride as well so we rode together. Our local loop is directional, so I had only ridden it clockwise, since it was only us at the trailhead and leafless trees meant long sight lines we decided to ride opposite of the normal direction.it surprised me how completely different the ride experience was. He was a pretty fast guy, so we rode a pretty good pace (for me, I'm sure not for him), but it was a good way to start the new year. Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    So cool to share and compare, Tex!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Happy New Year to all!
    G
    Hi G nice images and one serious camera you are running.

Love to see the Isle of Man, have you been for the TT races?

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH, again those trails look made for a fat bike. The rest of the USA gets a cold snap and you get perfect riding weather.

OZ,

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    HI Tex, looks fab, don't know how I would handle the cold though.

And riding your trails in reverse is a great way to spice things up.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Happy New Year...

Hi everyone, hope that you all had an enjoyable New Year.

My wife and I headed down to Canberra to visit a friend. They have some of the best mountain bike trails in OZ, but riding was not top of the list and were we stayed did not have bike storage anyway.

Thats the one of the main reasons I brought my Brompton, to throw in the boot of the car and carry into the appartments.

Canberra also has a fantastic shared trail around Lake Burley Griffin, that I have wanted to ride for years.

So I rode part of the trail on the morning of New Years eve and the second half on New Years day.

From the first ride.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizerender-4.jpg

That was a great morning, but New Years morning I had one of my best ever rides. The weather was cool with a fog rolling along the Lake and over the hills. This part of the trail was fantastic, great views and wildlife along the way, had a Mob of Kangaroos beside me at one point.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizerender-2.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizerender.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizerender-3.jpg

Hope you don't mind that its not Fat Bike photos, but the Brompton and my Farley both bring a smile and laugh every time I ride them. More than my other bikes.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Jesus, OZ, that first pic is breathtaking. I think that Brompton is the bees knees-damned cool!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got in another pretty awesome snow ride. -3 degrees when I left the car. Trails/snow are in near perfect condition. I think if I get in another ride this week, I may take the plus bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks DH, I Snapseeded the life out of these photos as they are taken on my old phone.

Yep the Brompton is one great bike, if I was forced to cull my bike collection the Fat Bike and the Brompton would be the last two left.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hoping to ride this year. my foot is finally healed up to a small scab. a 4 year healing process from the way the butcher surgeon left me after a 2 toe amputation. haven't bled out for a month now. I really need the exercise for my lower legs. bleeding has been a big issue..suck sucks sucks.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    I got in another pretty awesome snow ride. -3 degrees when I left the car. Trails/snow are in near perfect condition. I think if I get in another ride this week, I may take the plus bike.
    +bikes love playing in snow.... Just ask Sarge and Aisan, they love it. It's even better with the Nobby Nic Performance 3.0's at 6f 8r for some squish to get the max fat factor out of em!

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    Hoping to ride this year. my foot is finally healed up to a small scab. a 4 year healing process from the way the butcher surgeon left me after a 2 toe amputation. haven't bled out for a month now. I really need the exercise for my lower legs. bleeding has been a big issue..suck sucks sucks.
    Fast, sorry to hear of your health issue. Hope you're up for it and able to get out for the resurgence of hell on wheels! Take your time getting back in the swing of it and make it fun. Going out for some rides will show improvement faster than you think, Bubba!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    Hi G nice images and one serious camera you are running.

Love to see the Isle of Man, have you been for the TT races?
    Thank you!

I've been visiting the Isle of Man since about 1998, been here for the TT and ManxGP several times. My hosts here are my good friends who've also visited me in California a few times. I enjoy everything about it, even its cold and rain at this time of year ... https://youtu.be/75K3Wl8dGG4

The Leica is a lovely, simple camera with a great lens. it's what I use most of the time to do my photography. Never really thought about it as serious.

Travel back to Cork and then on to home today and tomorrow. Can't wait to be home now and go for a ride again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Fast, hope you are back on the bike soon, its the best form of recovery you can get.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

A ride through the forrest...

Hi everyone, seems a lot of you in the U.S. are receiving a blast of winter. Down here its cool in my part of OZ too, temps in the low 20's C (70's f)

Thats perfect riding weather, so this morning I had my first ride on the Farley for the year. Across the road and into the trails of Green point.

Today I decided to take any side trail that I came across rather than ride my normal loop. Still went to the top of the hill but instead of dropping down I stayed along the ridge line.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09302.jpg

After about three and a half kilometres I dropped down into a rain forrest section. This tree is hosting a large climbing vine,

Fat Biking and health-dsc09307.jpg

I twisted its way to the very top of the tree.

Soon I was in one of the lowest parts of the forrest and how this old car made its way down here would be a story.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09316.jpg

Its slowly being reclaimed by the earth.

I came to a side trail and dropped down along a very single track.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09321.jpg

The trail was only just wider that the 4.8 tyres in places and the trees are natural speed bumps that you have to pay attention too.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09318.jpg

One of the features of the parcel of land is the many fissures cutting across the hillsides. The whole area has old under ground coal mines below it and as a child many years ago I remember finding a collapsed section that looked right into the old shaft.

This is one of the medium size ones,

Fat Biking and health-dsc09322.jpg

dropped away around 15 feet to the bottom. Many of the trails through here cross large and small cracks, and its possibly one reason that the land was never built on. Lucky for me as it gives me a great riding area a few hundred meters from home.

Stay warm and I hope to see some ride reports soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Wow, that fissure gives me the heebie-jeebies, OZ! I have occasional nightmares about wheels sucked into ruts (which all trace back to-you guessed it, a magnificent wreck I had way back when I first became a mountain bike enthusiast).
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz..awesome pics as always. You could totally bunny hop those gaps!

Not much on the fat bike front. I haven't been out since Monday's awesome sub-zero ride. This weekend looks pretty killer though. Temps in the high teens on Saturday and near 30 on Sunday. Hopefully I'll get out both days.

My Salsa Vaya winter project is moving along. I've stripped all the parts. Used a compressor to clean and blow out the inside of the frame. Then retreated the inside again. The frame really looks amazing to be going on 8 years old. I hope I am still riding it in another 10 years. I installed the new BB tonight. I also put on a new 12-30 rear cassette and a new Thompson Elite seat post. Hopefully I can get the new shifters and cables installed this weekend and wrap it up in the next couple of weeks. If you ever get the chance to ride a Vaya, don't do it. If you do, you'll own one. By far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks DH, yep ruts are the stuff of nightmares nearly came undone on one last week when I was out on my F/S mountain bike. Leaf litter was covering the track and I managed to drop my wheels into one as I was flying down a hill. Still don't know how I managed to stay upright.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Terry, you might be able to bunny hope those gaps, I would be in hospital

I always wanted a Vaya but they seem to make about ten per year and you can never get one. I was looking a Cutthroat this year and it was the same story sold out and don't know how long before they are in stock again.

Still I have two nice surly's now, my Crosscheck sounds like your Vaya had its rebuild mid last year and is go to go for another five or six years.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09293.jpg

Had a sixty km ride on it this morning and its always a great ride.

OZ.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-dsc08566.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oz..I know what you mean about the Salsa bikes being hard to get. My LBS seems to be able to get a nice variety of stock. I got my 2011 frame in Oct. 10. The rep swore I got the first 56 frame that hit the warehouse.

I love the color of your CC. You have a super nice collection of bikes. Both of your Surlys are top notch. I need another Surly!

Im not a fan of carbon bikes although my roadie is a carbon. Id love to try a Cutthroat tho. I hope Salsa does an aluminum frame/carbon fork Beargrease. I think the 27.5x4 platform might be my next fat bike

mtbr member
    Early in the year and everyone seems to be getting the miles in. That's good. All this talk about bikes has me thinking about what my next steed will be. It will be a while. Since I put the new tires on my bike it's been like a new ride anyway. I will say that the Juggernaut Pros are a nice set of tires. The knobs are small but the casing is so compliant (120 TPI, very thin rubber) that I have pretty good traction. I am not sure they would hold up to very jagged rocks, but they might. They've survived some pretty tough hits but that's not normal use in the Midwest. I am riding fully rigid aluminum but I might consider steel. I need to find a place that carries Surly so I can find out what the fuss is about. I really like my bike, so it is hard to justify worrying about a new one.

I snuck in a ride this morning before work. I was in Dayton so I hit the MoMBA trail. On of the loops was closed but some were open (I think, there was no trail closed sign on them). I didn't ride all the trails because I did need to get to work and it was really cold, but this looks like a great trail system. My new assignment will have me back in Dayton often, so I will be back. The trail is the best marked I've ever visited.

I couldn't get my camera out in time to get the herd of deer I saw, but you can see the slow poke
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    The morning haze was not completely disappated, so it was sunny, but not exactly. The weather gets weird when it's really cold.Fat Biking and health-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Definitely on my list of places to go, G. I've spent a good bit of time all over the UK and Ireland, but the only smaller island I've visited was Arran.

Letting a late breakfast digest before hitting the trail today.
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    G, it cannot be done without taking my bike with!! *Throws tantrum*
    Hallo! Missed a connection due to a late plane so I'm overnight in London, home tomorrow.

Next time I go to the Isle, I want a fat bike there. I'll either find a source and rent one, or buy one and ship it ahead to my friend's place so that it's there when I want to visit. I might even encourage my bud to ride it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Tex - Momba is probably my favorite trail system in SW Ohio. In nice weather, it really has something for everyone. Beginner stuff for kids up to black diamond trails. It is a blast at night. I'm guesssing the trail that is closed is the flow trail. They are supposedly changing it up a bit. I haven't made it over there For a snow ride this year.

I've been riding my first fat bike for going on two years. When I got the Specialized, I had no idea what I wanted or needed. It's been a killer bike but I can see a new fat bike in the next year or so. On a fat bike, I really like the aluminum frame and carbon rigid fork setup. I rode my friend's old steel Pugsley and it just seemed heavy and kind of flat feeling. Surly bikes are pretty cool but most dealers have very limited inventory. Salsa is a bit better but not much. I prefer to just buy frames and build my own bikes anyway

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Terry, I had the CC resprayed last year the paint is a grey metallic Porsche code.

Its as close as I will get to owning a Porsche

I have a third Surly lurking in the garage, its my car so I tell my wife it does not count in the bike fleet

The 27.5x4 seem great I really like the idea of the Trek Farley EX 9.8 or the Salsa Bucksaw. Both bikes are not sold here in OZ so I am dreaming...

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice Tex look were your bike is taking you, don't need to change up.

The reason I went with Surly's was the fact the the frame should out last me. My CC has had its first complete rebuild and in seven or eight years I will do it again.

I would have brought a Wednesday instead of my Farley but for the fact that beach riding would kill the steel frame over time. So the aluminium frame made a better choice.

I should change my frames more regularly but if its not broken I feel its a waste to let it go. I was out this morning on my Specialised FSR XC an old 26 inch bike that I have had for years and it rides as well as I need. And I have replaced most of its parts as well.

Indeed when I replace it it will possibly be with an F/S Ebike. I am lucky that were I live has plenty of riding options, so having a few different types of bike is handy. None of my bikes would be called top of the line but I have built them to suit the way I ride.

OZ

mtbr member
    FastFat , Sorry to hear that. How soon can you exercise? Do you have a riding start date? I hope you get out for a ride soon, even if it is a short one. If you end up addicted like the rest of us you'll get all the exercise you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Now if only this minus degree stuff will end... brrrrr

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I came across an InMotion Compact Elliptical at salvation army for 5 bucks....

it is a great little chair pedaler..I can pedal it with no actual weight trying to pop my wound open. so I have been using that...i won't be on the bike till the snow is gone in about 4 months. ;-(

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    in my younger years i would ride at least 20 miles a day..

mtbr member
    I came across an InMotion Compact Elliptical at salvation army for 5 bucks....

it is a great little chair pedaler..I can pedal it with no actual weight trying to pop my wound open. so I have been using that...i won't be on the bike till the snow is gone in about 4 months. ;-(
    Well, keep at it. You'll be ready when the weather breaks.

Fat Biking & Health Rider

Sunday's Walk & Drive Report.....

Great photo's and ride reports fellas, keep them coming! Me? Well, I've been down with my annual bronchitis issues for about 3 weeks or so, so no riding. Just as well, since this polar vortex has locked in the area hard and fast. Roads amply salted down and what little of the shoulder I have to ride on simply has been taken away by snow piled by the snow plows. After laying about for 2 weeks, hacking away, I had enough. Got out the Bosch heated jacket and set about driving down to Burlington, then working my way back north, ended by a 6 mile total walk up and down the Lock 1 Delaware and Raritan Canal Towpath, hoping the cold air would help loosen up the lungs and sinus's. Here we go.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2945.jpg
    Burlington, New Jersey, Sunday morning, 7 Jan 2018 at 0900 hours. Looking south or down bound towards the Delaware River and the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2947.jpg
    From the same vantage point, in front of the Doane Academy, Burlington, NJ, looking north bound, Delaware River. Air temperature: 10 degrees. It got down to 0 degrees overnight, maybe in the minus temps. Little wind, so it really does not feel that bad out, compared to the past few days, when that giant Nor'easter was shoved out by some high winds from the northwest....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2949.jpg
    Back channel, Delaware River, Burlington Boat Ramp, looking up stream to Curtin's Marina....locked in by fast field ice that isn't moving with the tide......
    Fat Biking and health-100_2950.jpg
    We're now some 4 miles north in Florence, NJ at Rivers Edge Park, Delaware River, looking towards the state of Tullytown, Pennsylvania
    Fat Biking and health-100_2952.jpg
    And from the same vantage point, looking north towards Roebling, NJ
    Fat Biking and health-100_2954.jpg
    My next stop point is the Florence, NJ boat ramp. Looking at the Florence Yacht Club dock with some ice build up around it.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2957.jpg
    Standing on the Florence Boat Ramp with some ice build up that is created with the ice being ground by the tidal flow of the river. Hard to believe right now that there is a thing called summer, with the ladies in bikini's going out on their boats to enjoy the warm summer rays....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2956.jpg
    A final look at the Florence boat ramp. The sun is making no progress melting the snow in these temps....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2959.jpg
    Some 4-5 miles north of Florence and I am at the Bordentown Boat Ramp, looking out to the Delaware River from the vantage point here at Crosswicks Creek. The bridge spanning Crosswicks/Delaware River is the Interstate 295 bridge.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2960.jpg
    Same vantage point, looking up the Crosswicks Creek.....

NOTE: Click on photograph for full size picture

Sunday's Walk & Drive Report.....Part 2

Fat Biking and health-100_2963.jpg
    My plan is to walk past the I-295 bridge up the Lock 1 towpath, some 3 plus miles north of here at the Crosswicks Creek Railroad Bridge/Lock 1 towpath. A northbound NJ Transit RiverLine train has cleared the Bordentown Station and is heading towards Crosswick Creek train bridge, northbound to Trenton, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2965.jpg
    Crosswicks Creek railroad bridge over a very frozen Crosswicks Creek.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2966.jpg
    Centerspan, Crosswicks Creek bridge, looking out, southbound, Crosswicks Creek, the I-295 bridge and a frozen Delaware River.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2967.jpg
    Coming off the bridge and looking towards Crosswicks Creek, I spotted this large berg in the center of the creek. That's about 400 plus feet away and I'll estimate that berg of ice about 5 feet high. Believe the stories of Washington crossing the Delaware on Christmas eve amongst large ice bergs some 20 miles north of here..... when this river lets go it's ice from the northern river reaches, some of those bergs that make it over the Trenton Falls are really huge, think Ford F-350 plus huge.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2969.jpg
    Lock 1 pedestrian bridge over the old Lock Chamber leading into Crosswicks Creek and the Delaware River.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2970.jpg
    On the bridge, looking northbound into the former D&R Canal....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2971.jpg
    Same vantage point, looking out into Crosswicks....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2972.jpg
    So the walking trek begins. Looks like someone with a fat type tire track was here between the Noreaster and now. This cyclist appears to have gone all the way to the end of this stretch, some 4 miles from here at Duck Island, Trenton, NJ.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2974.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_2978.jpg
    Trudging along, northbound, my left foot in the tire track. The snow is still somewhat soft as the bitter temps has not allowed no snow melt from happening.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2980.jpg
    My turn around point, some 3 miles plus north from the start point. Very tired, sweating, too. Thinking about now that a pair of snow shoes would be a good thing to have.....
    Fat Biking and health-100_2983.jpg
    Back at the Crosswicks Creek Bridge....very tired and sore.
    Fat Biking and health-100_2984.jpg
    A final look across Crosswicks Creek, at the Lock 1, D&R Canal entrance.

NOTE: Click on photograph for full size picture

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike has pissed off bikes now, for sure!!
    Doctor recommended...

Mike has pissed off bikes now, for sure!!
    Hehe! They may be pissed, but too frozen inside the garage, to put up too much of a fight. Don't know how your weather is, but it has been downright brutal cold here. Funny thing is, temps will approach 50 at the end of the week, so this deadly cold will be a bad rumor.

Can't tell ya how I wished I was on the Fatboy or FatSix at my turnaround point. Or at least wearing a pair of snow shoes....

Don't understand why that biker decided to not run in his own trackline he created, heading back from Trenton. The snow in some areas was 5 inches deep.

FASTFAT: Keep at it with the indoor exercise bike. Work it nice and easy; ease on into it and keep your doctors informed as to what you are up to. I've no doubt you'll be pedaling in the great wide outside by the time summer comes calling.

Keep us all informed of your progress. Know that each of us are rooting you on!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Mike great to see you back posting, I thought from the news reports that the deep freeze might have hit you. Sure looks that way, hard to imagine what a difference a few months make. Those trails were picture perfect, now some kind of frozen hell.

Been the exact opposite down here, yesterday's planned fat bike ride was changed to a early and quick out and back on the Fernleigh Track. It's a tunnel of trees for nearly 17 kms, and with the temperature hitting 45C (113F) shade was a must. By the time I arrived home it was already baking and I spent the rest of the day indoors.

Just back from this mornings ride, a repeat of yesterday, although it's supposed to be a little cooler today it was still hot enough to melt your snow in a few minutes

Hope your cold clears up and the weather warms up soon.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    5" fresh is a pleasure to ride.

OZ shoulda paid extra for the optional factory AC!! :P

Had to resolve a heater issue with my Jeep yesterday. A quick back flush and forward flush with water followed with air worked wonders!
    Now my bikes are enjoying transport to and from the trails.

With the +bikes and snow being fairly packed the Nobby Nic 3.0's are set to 7f 8r for some squish to get more of those little soft tread blocks into the surface and better propulsion and traction. Amazingly, they aren't looking flat at that pressure, just a bit low on pressure. The rides have been good with the +tires. The Mayor has been doing 4f 5r for now since the snow doesn't require flotation as much as I would like for this time of year.
    It's been good to get out for some pedal time as of late.

Mike, thanks for the pix! Even if they are bikeless, still have some very nice views captured on electrons...

FastFat, let's hope you don't hafta wait that long to go for a ride on a bike outside with the cold breeze in your grill!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Banshee, hot summers and no AC in a car are my childhood memories. Dad never wanted to spend money on cars, so we had vinyl seats in summer and the windows for AC good times

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Hi Banshee, hot summers and no AC in a car are my childhood memories. Dad never wanted to spend money on cars, so we had vinyl seats in summer and the windows for AC good times

OZ.
    Windwings were good to 2/60 AC. Cars now have no windwings :/
    Doctor recommended...

FB&H rider
    Fast, hang in there! Good to see you posting - keep taking those small steps that will get you back out there on a fatty!

Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Early in the year and everyone seems to be getting the miles in. That's good.
    Agree - very good!
    Reality is that many who weren't riding before won't be riding come Feb, but a few may stick with it, and that's great!

It's been great to read the last couple pages and catch up on the ride reports and shenanigans of ya'll!
    I've been pretty busy with moving offices and a couple of nice trips (Netherlands and Switzerland - unfortunately didn't get to take the bikes).
    Have been able to get a couple rides in with the muddy just above freezing temps around here.
    Got some nice swag for the holidays; chest armor, jersey, along with bikepacking stuff - a hammock, self-inflating mattress, and ultralight sleeping bag!

Loaded up the bags and rode in this morning to get my juices flowing for camping in warmer weather. I love Germany, but the one thing I wish I could do is camp in the wild and do a little hunting/fishing. Here, you have to camp in a campground only and hunting is a very time-and money intensive effort (I don't have the 6-week class yet).

Still, it's a new year and I'm looking forward to the great things to come!

Fat Biking and health-24-dec-17-andy-muddy-trail.jpg
    my buddy sure slips around a lot more on the muddy trails than I do!

Fat Biking and health-02-jan-18-swiss-alps.jpg
    Switzerland is just amazing (sorry for the phone camera that doesn't do it justice).

Fat Biking and health-08-jan-18-bikepack.jpg
    headtube bag is new; holds the smart phone, gloves/wallet/keys etc but is pretty bulky.

Fat Biking and health-08-jan-18-backpack.jpg
    Farley looks good in my new office! Between my larger backpack and the bike bags I think I should be able to pack enough for a 4-day weekend trip.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice Pepper, no snow for you?

Switzerland does look amazing are you close to the Alps? My wife and I are heading to Paris and the Dolomites, Venice, Cinque Terre and Milan in June, looked a few riding options in the Dolomites if I can sneak an afternoon away. Apparently there are Fat Bike tours in Paris, won't have time for that

OZ.

mtbr member
    Oz, that sounds like a great trip. Pep, That picture of Switzerland looks amazing. Mike, great stuff as always.

I am going to have to rely on living with Vicariously through your reports this week. We are getting weather whiplash. We're going to have three days of temperatures above 45F which means the snow will melt and the trails will be pudding. By next weekend temperatures will drop again and it looks like we might get more snow. Cold weather isn't bad, warm weather isn't bad either. But roller coaster weather plays hell with my riding plans.

There is a saying in Ohio, "if you don't like the weather here, stick around a couple of minutes and it will change."

Like TexMex in Ohio, the weather here in NJ went above freezing for the first time in several weeks ago; with believe it or not, temps in the high 50's by Friday. That brings on Mud Season, where a nice muddy concoction goes down several inches, making trail riding out of the question.

SurlyInOz: I saw where a lot of animals in your homeland are hurting/dying because of that heatwave you are experiencing. We seem to be living in a contrast of extremes; you being baked, us here in the US getting flash frozen. Here's to more moderate weather for us and the furry and scaly creatures out there.

Dr Pepper: Now that are some mountains! Looks like your snow has moved out.

Wade: Thanks! Today, the Delaware is still frozen solid. No commercial ship traffic appears to have moved to the Fairless PA facility across from Fieldsboro, NJ. Roads are in need of a nice continued thaw followed by a cleansing rain to wash this acidic-like road salt off the roads. Have not been on the bike since a few weekends ago and I'm losing my conditioning.

FB&H rider
    Nice Pepper, no snow for you?

Switzerland does look amazing are you close to the Alps? My wife and I are heading to Paris and the Dolomites, Venice, Cinque Terre and Milan in June, looked a few riding options in the Dolomites if I can sneak an afternoon away. Apparently there are Fat Bike tours in Paris, won't have time for that

OZ.
    Thanks! I was there for my anniversary and had an amazing time - I hope to return in the summer to do the epic ride from Birg (8700 feet) down to Lauterbrunnen (~1500ft).
    I live near Frankfurt Germany - you are certainly welcome to stop by and see the Rhine, some lovely castles, and some great local trails (and I have an extra fattie to loan out).

There is a saying in Ohio, "if you don't like the weather here, stick around a couple of minutes and it will change."
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post

Dr Pepper: Now that are some mountains! Looks like your snow has moved out.
    Thanks! Yes, snow has melted about 2 weeks ago; It looks like it will be another week until we get more up where I live; down on the Rhine (where I work) it tends to snow and melt within days all winter but up at my house it can stick around for a few weeks. I'm hoping we get some more soon as I really get a kick out of riding it

mtbr member
    Tweaked my back-doing fvckall-last weekend, and so have been off the bike for five days. Didn't help that we had one of our by now infamously useless faculty meetings to sit through this afternoon. Jesus: Administrators should have to take certification courses in running meetings before being allowed to squander the time of faculty, the bastards.

I am about to buy an old Specialized Rockhopper to convert for commuting. I have been toying with the idea for a few weeks, and if the owner will take $100 for the old rigid, I will be riding in on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the year.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

FB&H rider
    Sorry about the back Hun.
    Yep, sat through way too many meetings both in academia and in clinical work that was all about administrator priorities (read: shite). I try to keep my daily meeting with my staff to under 15 minutes and succeed most days. I'll admit to a weekly hour long meeting that often runs over where we discuss high risk cases but I think that's worth it eh?

I still try to do the bigger 20 mile 1000' climb/2000' descent ride home to work about every other week; am adding the idea that I can do a 12-mile round trip 2-3 times a week if I truck to my buddies house, park, and ride in from there - he even joined me once this week. Still doing all that on the Trek with several bags and it's ok despite the fact that I'm slow ... maybe someday I consider a commuter bike... or maybe not .

I also think I mentioned above but have been getting gear to do some bikepacking this summer and hauled it all on the 12-mile round trip a couple times and had fun; the BIG difference of course is any incline... man that's work (I had about 25-30lbs of gear on me/the bike).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH, hope your back on the bike soon. ( sorry about that )

I started riding my old rockhopper to work years ago, converted from a single speed to 2x10. I started riding to work full time when we gave my son my car when he got his drivers license.

As soon as I started riding in the rain I knew I needed mudguards, and panniers to carry the wet weather gear. Seeing as I was not running a car I used the money we were saving to set up a Surly Troll with guards and rack and Ortlieb pannier bags.

It's paid for itself many times over as I have ridden it rain hail or shine for nearly six years now. I cannot imagine driving to work again, one of the best decisions I have made.

Hope it works out that way for you.

Thanks for the invite Pepper, this year is booked solid maybe next time.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    DH. Hope you're back on the bike soon. Last snow ride, I was toying with air pressure to find a better balance of speed/grip. Going into a downhill turn, I found a little speed, but I lost the front end. Nothing really hurt but I could feel it for a day or two afterwards.

Old Rockhoppers are pretty cool old bikes. Perfect for commuting. Post pics if you get it.

Pep...look forward to hearing about your bikepacking adventures. We have a roughly 250 mile long-weekend coming up in April. I usually load up the bike with all the gear a few weeks early and get in practice runs. Better to find problems before the trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sorry to hear about your injury, DH. Hope it's improving.

I've been home since last Friday, but one of the unbeloved guests crept home with me and nailed me to the bed for the past five days. Nasty cold and flu ... lots of coughing, lots of nasty looking spew, breathing difficulty, etc. I seem to have turned the corner as of last night and feel close to being well again, perhaps by Saturday.

Despite that sour note at the end: The trip was fantastic! Had a hellacious good time with friends in both places ... Even my missed connection in London on the way home was a no problem situation since the airline put me up in a lovely hotel and paid for a good dinner and breakfast. I and some of my fellow travelers spent a fun evening watching soccer and drinking Murphys.

I wondered, having done so much eating and drinking and so little real exercise for fifteen days, what the penalty was going to be. I figured I'd have another five pounds of lard to work down, again. To my delight, when I got on the scale on Sunday, I found I'd actually LOST five pounds over the course of the trip! Can't dislike that either..

A day or two and both Sumo and Racer will get uncovered and ready for a bit of thrashing...

Onwards, always onwards ...
    G

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Tweaked my back-doing fvckall-last weekend, and so have been off the bike for five days. Didn't help that we had one of our by now infamously useless faculty meetings to sit through this afternoon. Jesus: Administrators should have to take certification courses in running meetings before being allowed to squander the time of faculty, the bastards.

I am about to buy an old Specialized Rockhopper to convert for commuting. I have been toying with the idea for a few weeks, and if the owner will take $100 for the old rigid, I will be riding in on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the rest of the year.
    A trip to the chiro helps my back at times.

Faculty meetings?? Um, no! That's the day you have the fatty along and slip out the side door and give ditching new meaning!!

A Special Ed?? Hmmm, wonder if a pair of 650b x42's would fit...

I've been toying with the possibility of a 650b based on a proper BMX geo that could sport a pair of Compass Babyshoe Pass 650b 42's and fairly tall gearing for a ripper to piss of roadies even more! Blasting past a roadie with a fat tire with a road style tread will get under their skin like bamboo under fingernails... Ride it like it has a V8 and keep it stupid light with single speed. This would be a warm weather build, without a doubt.

Pepper, any time there's additional load, I discover my task list in short order... Bike packing will be in order this summer provided I can get the conditioning part sorted. I do have a few destinations in mind but hafta sort out the gear side of things as well as logistics.
    I'm thinking either the Mayor or Sarge will be involved.

G, hope you kick that flu to the curb and feel better! Always sux when I do catch sompin cause it's far and few between but kicks my arse.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Took the DB out for a four mile sprint on a gravel trail today. Felt great, and I think it helped settle my back that last bit back into place.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Day 4 with no bike ride and it's terrible.

mtbr member
    The good news is there is a cold snap and snow on the way so the trails should freeze back up and I'll be back on the bike. This is the first time in my life I've actually wanted cold weather

mtbr member
    hi there,
    Just a quick question... I have an uncle, who just turned 59, had some arthritis a few months back but is okay now. He used to jog a lot but now he's having trouble running..so he's thinking of buying a bike. The doc told him its less stress on his leg joints.

Being around 6'2"... he wants a 29'er, but he likes the look of a fatbike. He asked me to pick the bike for him. Im thinking of recommending the fatty instead of the 29'er... is this the right move? The 29'er has front and rear suspension - while the fatty he's looking at, a Framed Minnisota I think, has no suspension. Which do you think is better for a recovering arthritis guy..... the fatty? Or a suspended bike?

thanks for any suggestions,
    cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by diffy View Post
    hi there,
    Just a quick question... I have an uncle, who just turned 59, had some arthritis a few months back but is okay now. He used to jog a lot but now he's having trouble running..so he's thinking of buying a bike. The doc told him its less stress on his leg joints.

Being around 6'2"... he wants a 29'er, but he likes the look of a fatbike. He asked me to pick the bike for him. Im thinking of recommending the fatty instead of the 29'er... is this the right move? The 29'er has front and rear suspension - while the fatty he's looking at, a Framed Minnisota I think, has no suspension. Which do you think is better for a recovering arthritis guy..... the fatty? Or a suspended bike?

cheers!
    I ended up ditching my 29r when my wife bought me a fat bike for Christmas. I ride fully rigid 26x4 year round, adjusting pressure as required by conditions. I could see bigger tires would be nice too

My rides are almost exclusively singletracks, some of it is pretty rooty and technical. The grip gives me a lot of confidence and is forgiving of poor line choices (though I am getting much better the more I ride). The tires absorb a lot of chatter.

I can recommend a fat bike for trail riding and gravel path riding. If he is new and 59, I would assume he is not going be shredding the most technical gnar.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    hi there,

cheers!
    Here's the deal.... A fatty has the ability to make you into a giggly 10 year old the moment you throw a leg over it with the massive tires. This in and of itself relieves the stress of life on many levels. another +, a 10 mile ride is more beneficial than a 15 mile ride on a 2.1 tire bike, any day of the week.
    Frankly, the fatty is more attractive to ride often times fir me. This might be true for your Uncle as the huge tires actually do provide a very comfortable ride and stability that no other bike can deliver on.
    Check out RSDbikes.com and when you look at their offerings, feel free to email Alex and get some understanding of his offerings. Might be able to get into a bike with nicer components for about the same price. Shipping is included with the purchase price.

+bikes are also a good alternative as they have fatter tires and feel good to ride as well. These are 27.5 or 29x 3.0 tires and very fun.

Like Tex said, many have found their fatty to be a joy to ride and have ditched their 2.1 tire bikes for the fAt.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Get him on a rigid fatty (that sounds so wrong). I ride mine on all types of terrain-mostly flowy singletrack, but some fairly technical stuff, too. If most of what he will be doing is riding groomed trails or bike paths, he does not need suspension.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Get him on a rigid fatty (that sounds so wrong). I ride mine on all types of terrain-mostly flowy singletrack, but some fairly technical stuff, too. If most of what he will be doing is riding groomed trails or bike paths, he does not need suspension.
    Um, wut spension?

Fat Biking and health-img_0737.jpg

DH, why didn't you tell me before the Mayor hit the campaign trail...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    hi there,

cheers!
    I have arthritis in my toes and a total hip replacement caused by degenerative arthritis as well. I bought my first ebike ... a suspension model ... figuring it would be better for these old bones. Wrong. Didn't ride it much, found it difficult to get rolling with, etc. Bought the iZip Sumo E30, a fat ebike, and I cannot be more delighted with it. All rigid suspension, the tires ARE the suspension and the frame is excellent too. It's simple, easy to get on and off, quick on the road, and a pleasure to ride for a mile or 50 miles, whatever I please. The brakes and handling are outstanding. It works as well with the power on as it does with the power off. I outfitted it with better grips (Ergon), a saddle more appropriate to road riding, and a set of Surly Black Floyd road tires when new, and I'd do the same again in an instant.

I only ride street as the norm, pavement and paved bike paths, and chance down an occasional dirt road or whatever when I'm poking about places I don't normally go otherwise. Doesn't matter to the bike, it handles all of it with aplomb.

This Sumo has given me back strength in my legs, my core, my shoulders, my balance, improved my muscular response time and eye-hand coordination, and is just plain fun to go places with. It's taken 50 pounds fat off me (and still going down!) while adding a dozen or more pounds of muscle. My doctors declare my case a minor miracle every time I see them; I laugh and say "I'm just having fun on my bicycle!" I rode it 1100 miles between April and December of last year. I expect to double that this year...

Can't praise it enough.

For someone recovering from physical traumas, like I was, the electric option of the Sumo gives you assistance when you need it and lets you ride longer, go farther, without strain that can extend damage. At this point I ride mostly with the power off or on the minimum setting, and I sure like it when I need it for climbing a steep grade or dealing with busy traffic. The down side of the electrics is cost, some maintenance, and about 10-15 lbs more weight than a pedal only fat bike, but I think the advantages of having assistance available for older men and women with physical issues to overcome far outweigh that.

Fat Bike Fever ... Go the whole yard, get something with 26x4 wheels, get on, and laugh a lot!

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Diffy, good advice given already but I will add my 2 cents worth.

You do not mention if you uncle is going to ride mainly on or off road. If its mainly off road a Fat Bike is a great choice. The larger tyres require a little more effort to get rolling, but hold their speed well and eat up small bumps on the trail. They give a great ride that really inspires confidence. For mild off roading they are a fantastic choice for someone starting out, and as you get more experience you can really push them along.

If its mainly road he will be riding a narrower tyre might be a better choice, or a G talks about an E bike fatty is a great choice.

You could look at the middle ground of a Plus tyre bike think 2.6 to 3 inch tyre size. Plenty of grip, good ride on the road and smooth on the trails.

I said it the other week that if I had to cut my bike fleet back the Fat Bike would be the last bike standing. The fun factor alone overrides any other considerations alone.

And if he does get a Fat Bike make sure he gets an account here too, he will get plenty of help along the way from all the riders here.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The good news is there is a cold snap and snow on the way so the trails should freeze back up and I'll be back on the bike. This is the first time in my life I've actually wanted cold weather
    Hi Tex, I don't think I have ever wanted that

OZ.

Diffy: After a very long time away from bicycles, I got back in the game with a Trek Soho commuter style bike; 90 psi tires. I found biking on the asphalt roads around here in NJ to not be as comfortable as it once was as road maintenace declined drastically. So I wound up with a Specialized Fatboy and found the 4.6 inch wide tires able to absorb the road impacts quite nicely.

Plus this truism: while I can ride my Fatboy on asphalt, or off road in dirt or sand or rocks, I could not think of doing such a thing on a commuter style bike. Since 2015, I had no issues whatsoever riding on or off road with a fatbike.

Great advice all the way around by the gang here. Get the best fatbike one can afford. I became so addicted to fatbiking that I went a step further and got a Haibike Full FatSix Yamaha powered fat-ebike to round out the fat bike collection.

Everytime and I do mean every single time when I push off on the fatbike, either on or off road, a smile comes over my face over the comfort, the stability, the cool factor, the cartoonish ridiculous factor these things bring in the eyes of other folks. The darn bike never gets old in a way others in my collection have!

Let us know what your uncle does and don't be a stranger here.

Dirty Hun and Ramarren: Wishing for some good health coming your way!

Mike
    Fat Biking and health-100_1875.jpg
    Specialized Fatboy; Surly Nice Racks, Schmidt SON28 Hub, Dyno lights front/rear, Ortlieb bags, Spurcycle Bell, stock Fatboy drive train, Mr Tuffy tire liners
    Fat Biking and health-100_2706.jpg
    Haibike Full FatSix; front and rear shocks, Old Man Mountain front rack with Ortlieb bag, Ortlieb handlebar bag, Timber Bell, PDW rear seatpost rack with Revelate terrapin dry bag, OneUp pedals, Mr Tuffy Tire Liners, OEM Yamaha PW drive system, 400wh battery

NOTE: Click on photo for oversized picture!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    We're getting a few inches of fresh snow tonight. Temps below freezing all weekend, so the singletrack should be in awesome shape! Seriously looking forward to getting out there and riding.

mtbr member
    Wade, did you ride the Campaign to Pinto?

Side note: The Specialized commuter candidate fell through-BUT something cooler may be about to come my way. More soon (don't want to jinx myself, because it's a brand I've wanted for a very long time).
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

Side note: The Specialized commuter candidate fell through-BUT something cooler may be about to come my way. More soon (don't want to jinx myself, because it's a brand I've wanted for a very long time).
    Pfft! Hasn't been cold enough for the champ... :/

And what does my fat cat have to do with it?? Jinx is so fat that he cannot pass through the dropouts of the Mayor without scrubbing!

Was an awesome day with a quick 4" drop! Made the commute slower but the lunchtime ride was fantastic. Set the rear tire pressure to 3 wrinkles and the front about the same pressure as the rear. Was good to rip around in fresh snow over old on the outskirts of asshole, uh, Aspen.
    Might hafta consider throwing the Bud/Lou on in the near future if we actually get enough snow to warrant the pain in the ass tubeless tire swap...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hi DH, is it a Surly, every cool kid wants one of those

My car, how I get to work everyday.

Fat Biking and health-dsc09267.jpg

Brought the frame swapped parts off my old bike added rack, guards and a dynamo light and good to go until the day I get to retire, sadly in about twenty years

OZ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I don't know about the cool kids, but Surly do make some pretty cool bikes. Here is my Ogre before and after the switch to drop bars.

mtbr member
    I ended up ditching my 29r when my wife bought me a fat bike for Christmas. I ride fully rigid 26x4 year round, adjusting pressure as required by conditions. I could see bigger tires would be nice too

My rides are almost exclusively singletracks, some of it is pretty rooty and technical. The grip gives me a lot of confidence and is forgiving of poor line choices (though I am getting much better the more I ride). The tires absorb a lot of chatter.

I can recommend a fat bike for trail riding and gravel path riding. If he is new and 59, I would assume he is not going be shredding the most technical gnar.
    Thanks. Yup... he's not into competition riding... he's in it for the relaxation ride.

cheers!

mtbr member
    Here's the deal.... A fatty has the ability to make you into a giggly 10 year old the moment you throw a leg over it with the massive tires. This in and of itself relieves the stress of life on many levels. another +, a 10 mile ride is more beneficial than a 15 mile ride on a 2.1 tire bike, any day of the week.
    Frankly, the fatty is more attractive to ride often times fir me. This might be true for your Uncle as the huge tires actually do provide a very comfortable ride and stability that no other bike can deliver on.
    Check out RSDbikes.com and when you look at their offerings, feel free to email Alex and get some understanding of his offerings. Might be able to get into a bike with nicer components for about the same price. Shipping is included with the purchase price.

+bikes are also a good alternative as they have fatter tires and feel good to ride as well. These are 27.5 or 29x 3.0 tires and very fun.

Like Tex said, many have found their fatty to be a joy to ride and have ditched their 2.1 tire bikes for the fAt.
    Thanks. Exactly what he is aiming for... to relieve some stress, and just have a fun ride. I think the novelty of a fatty will do just that.

cheers!

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Thanks. Yup... he's not into competition riding... he's in it for the relaxation ride.

cheers!
    It's not about being competitive, it's about going out and having a good time. Side effects: increased health, grin that cannot be removed. And the fatty is irresistible, so he's more likely to get out and ride.

Thanks. Exactly what he is aiming for... to relieve some stress, and just have a fun ride. I think the novelty of a fatty will do just that.

cheers!
    This!! A fatty is uniquely qualified!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks, yup I think the charm of the 29er he was looking at is the suspension... but yes, the roads he'll be riding on are mostly paved or hard compressed soil... Im leaning heavily on the fatty now.

I have arthritis in my toes and a total hip replacement caused by degenerative arthritis as well. I bought my first ebike ... a suspension model ... figuring it would be better for these old bones. Wrong. Didn't ride it much, found it difficult to get rolling with, etc. Bought the iZip Sumo E30, a fat ebike, and I cannot be more delighted with it. All rigid suspension, the tires ARE the suspension and the frame is excellent too. It's simple, easy to get on and off, quick on the road, and a pleasure to ride for a mile or 50 miles, whatever I please. The brakes and handling are outstanding. It works as well with the power on as it does with the power off. I outfitted it with better grips (Ergon), a saddle more appropriate to road riding, and a set of Surly Black Floyd road tires when new, and I'd do the same again in an instant.

I only ride street as the norm, pavement and paved bike paths, and chance down an occasional dirt road or whatever when I'm poking about places I don't normally go otherwise. Doesn't matter to the bike, it handles all of it with aplomb.

This Sumo has given me back strength in my legs, my core, my shoulders, my balance, improved my muscular response time and eye-hand coordination, and is just plain fun to go places with. It's taken 50 pounds fat off me (and still going down!) while adding a dozen or more pounds of muscle. My doctors declare my case a minor miracle every time I see them; I laugh and say "I'm just having fun on my bicycle!" I rode it 1100 miles between April and December of last year. I expect to double that this year...

Can't praise it enough.

For someone recovering from physical traumas, like I was, the electric option of the Sumo gives you assistance when you need it and lets you ride longer, go farther, without strain that can extend damage. At this point I ride mostly with the power off or on the minimum setting, and I sure like it when I need it for climbing a steep grade or dealing with busy traffic. The down side of the electrics is cost, some maintenance, and about 10-15 lbs more weight than a pedal only fat bike, but I think the advantages of having assistance available for older men and women with physical issues to overcome far outweigh that.

Fat Bike Fever ... Go the whole yard, get something with 26x4 wheels, get on, and laugh a lot!

G
    Very very good news from someone with arthritis too... thanks so much for your opinion.

Hi Diffy, good advice given already but I will add my 2 cents worth.

You do not mention if you uncle is going to ride mainly on or off road. If its mainly off road a Fat Bike is a great choice. The larger tyres require a little more effort to get rolling, but hold their speed well and eat up small bumps on the trail. They give a great ride that really inspires confidence. For mild off roading they are a fantastic choice for someone starting out, and as you get more experience you can really push them along.

If its mainly road he will be riding a narrower tyre might be a better choice, or a G talks about an E bike fatty is a great choice.

You could look at the middle ground of a Plus tyre bike think 2.6 to 3 inch tyre size. Plenty of grip, good ride on the road and smooth on the trails.

I said it the other week that if I had to cut my bike fleet back the Fat Bike would be the last bike standing. The fun factor alone overrides any other considerations alone.

And if he does get a Fat Bike make sure he gets an account here too, he will get plenty of help along the way from all the riders here.

OZ.
    Told him about this forum... Im almost sure he's reading the same replies Im reading. Thanks for the tips. The fatty is the one I'll recommend. He wont go much into off-roading... so I think I'll follow the advice above, and not go for the suspended 29er.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Diffy: After a very long time away from bicycles, I got back in the game with a Trek Soho commuter style bike; 90 psi tires. I found biking on the asphalt roads around here in NJ to not be as comfortable as it once was as road maintenace declined drastically. So I wound up with a Specialized Fatboy and found the 4.6 inch wide tires able to absorb the road impacts quite nicely.

Plus this truism: while I can ride my Fatboy on asphalt, or off road in dirt or sand or rocks, I could not think of doing such a thing on a commuter style bike. Since 2015, I had no issues whatsoever riding on or off road with a fatbike.

Great advice all the way around by the gang here. Get the best fatbike one can afford. I became so addicted to fatbiking that I went a step further and got a Haibike Full FatSix Yamaha powered fat-ebike to round out the fat bike collection.

Everytime and I do mean every single time when I push off on the fatbike, either on or off road, a smile comes over my face over the comfort, the stability, the cool factor, the cartoonish ridiculous factor these things bring in the eyes of other folks. The darn bike never gets old in a way others in my collection have!

Let us know what your uncle does and don't be a stranger here.

Dirty Hun and Ramarren: Wishing for some good health coming your way!

Mike
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1875.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	1177685
    Specialized Fatboy; Surly Nice Racks, Schmidt SON28 Hub, Dyno lights front/rear, Ortlieb bags, Spurcycle Bell, stock Fatboy drive train, Mr Tuffy tire liners
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2706.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	1177686
    Haibike Full FatSix; front and rear shocks, Old Man Mountain front rack with Ortlieb bag, Ortlieb handlebar bag, Timber Bell, PDW rear seatpost rack with Revelate terrapin dry bag, OneUp pedals, Mr Tuffy Tire Liners, OEM Yamaha PW drive system, 400wh battery

NOTE: Click on photo for oversized picture!
    thanks! Yup, I see no harm in riding a fatty on the road... except maybe for a few curious stares?

cheers guys! thanks for the advices... I'll go and recommend the fatty.

mtbr member
    OZ, it's not a Surly, though I think in some ways it's almost as cool. I am supposed to get it on Tuesday, and if I do, I will post a pic.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Very very good news from someone with arthritis too... thanks so much for your opinion.
    cheers guys! thanks for the advices... I'll go and recommend the fatty.
    Glad to help. Here's a photo of my Sumo parked in the living room:

I think it's a very handsome machine. You can see the Black Floyd tires, Ergon Grips, and Gel touring saddle. It's a medium frame ... technically, my size and inseam called for a large, but I felt it was too big; this one feels just right. The drive unit is the excellent Bosch 250W model.

Felt makes a very similar bike, equipped almost identically and with a very similar frame, with the Bosch 280W drive unit. I can't imagine that it really adds all that much for me since I use the drive so sparingly as it is.

Cosmetically, I'm constantly drawn to having it stripped down and painted yellow with white details. It's a personal obsession of mine that I battle because its a lot of money for no functional gain, so I'm waiting for the frame get get enough blemishes to actually need a paint job. At the current rate of blemish accretion, it should take about six years... Maybe when I hit 10,000 miles, eh?

G

mtbr member
    That bike is gorgeous in green, G!
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That bike is gorgeous in green, G!
    Thanks! I think it's quite nice looking in green too. I just have this thing for yellow bikes...

mtbr member
    G, you'll laugh: The bike that got me totally hooked on bicycles back in 1979 was a yellow Mongoose BMX frame.

Did a little post Barbecue Bandits run around Blevins this afternoon.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180113_145739923.jpg

BTW, the bike I was hoping to pick up sold. It was a Klein Attitude. Ah well. Funny thing is, another Rock Hopper just came up for sale, so perhaps a proletariat Specialized is my destiny.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH, the Klein would have been a score, oh well there is always another bike.

The trails look great out there, I take it that you have missed most of the wild weather that being making the news down here. Freezing cold snaps, wild fires and the flooding rains.

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, we've missed all of that rot. 'Course, we'll probably pay for it with more 120 degree days come summer.

I love winter riding. LoL.

Fat Biking and health-img_20180113_145754181.jpg
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice DH, well you have to pay the piper

Had a spin around the local trail this morning, the wind is strong enough to blow a dog of a chain. From the south so the temps are 20 odd dec C cooler today.

Enjoy the winter riding, talking to a guy on the trails the other day and mentioned to him that winter is my preferred riding season. Only gets into single digit temps on a few occasions. Much better than the puddle of sweat that the last few days rides have turned into.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G, you'll laugh: The bike that got me totally hooked on bicycles back in 1979 was a yellow Mongoose BMX frame. ...
    Something about yellow bikes ...

Anyway: Went to see the movie "Koko" last night. Brilliant film, and very timely as the tenth anniversary of my mother's death is coming up in a couple of weeks. But I really still felt like utter crapola going out the door. :-(

Good news though is that I managed to sleep through the night, only waking once for a coughing spell. That's the best I've achieved for a week. And rising this morning, I felt better and less likely to try to cough my guts on the ground than I have for a week. And I'm actually a little hungry again, haven't been for a week. ... It's been a nasty, nasty cold.

So, progress. Another night or two like this, and I'll be back out riding again. Sumo is waiting patiently...

Onwards, always onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    My sister said that Coco was fantastic. I will have to see whether my girlfriend wants to see it.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Heya, would this set-up transfer onto the fattie?

Shimano XT 1x11sp Gear Kit Bundle | Chain Reaction Cycles
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi DH,that should all bolt on without any problems (said the man who gets all his work done in the LBS)

You will have to make sure the bolt holes on your cranks match up with the new chainring. When converting my Farley to 1X11, I used a Hope chainring (30 tooth) up front on the stock cranks.

Fat Biking and health-img_2184.jpg

Went with the SLX gear outback, the cassette is a 11-46 as the hills around my local tracks need a low grant gear. Well I do anyway

Fat Biking and health-img_2186.jpg

All up its been a great change running very smooth, gear changes are quick and quite. And the spread of gears is ample.

Fat Biking and health-dsc08997.jpg

An XT setup should be even better.

OZ.

mtbr member
    I think that kit will be on the menu soon, OZ.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Finally got a ride in tonight. Last week's weather turned the trails to soup. The cold snap started while I was traveling for my son's wrestling tournament, so no riding. We arrived home early enough for me to get a ride in. Just a few miles in 4" of snow, felt great. Looks like the weather should allow for some riding this week. If I get any daylight rides I'll attach some shots

mtbr member
    Happy to be back on the trails

Fat Biking and health-image.jpgFat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Traveling in Northern Indiana this week. Might get a ride on a groomed trail. That would be a first for me

FB&H rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry66 View Post
    Pep...look forward to hearing about your bikepacking adventures. We have a roughly 250 mile long-weekend coming up in April. I usually load up the bike with all the gear a few weeks early and get in practice runs. Better to find problems before the trip.
    Let me know how it goes! I don't care that my fattie isn't as good on the downhills as a full sus 29er (debateable), or that a Trek Stache is the 'ideal' bikepacking rig.... my fatbikes remain just too fun! I'll push the extra weight and go a little slower, and all will be well in the world.
    I'll try a few practice runs as well and have been putting my 'packing gear on for my recent shorter commutes (more below). Fun times!

Faculty meetings?? Um, no! That's the day you have the fatty along and slip out the side door and give ditching new meaning!!

Pepper, any time there's additional load, I discover my task list in short order... Bike packing will be in order this summer provided I can get the conditioning part sorted. I do have a few destinations in mind but hafta sort out the gear side of things as well as logistics.
    I'm thinking either the Mayor or Sarge will be involved.
    You've got a good deal going there brother (faculty meetings.....).
    Let me know if you do a trip and of course ride reports! I'll be sure to post pics as well as a ride map. At the moment, not quite as ambitious as terry, but I'm hoping to do about 120 miles with about 10,000ft of up and down... should be fun!

Happy to be back on the trails
    Lovely pics as always!!!

Have had a good week.
    My plan to park at my buddie's place and commute from there is going well; it takes about 5 min to load up my truck, 25 min to drive to his house, and then 30 min to ride in to work; if I give myself 20-30 minutes to shower etc I can be at my desk on time! The ride home is about 45 min since it's mostly uphill; 12 miles roundtrip is a decent daily 'do.
    I also had a great Sat riding some downhill and flowtrail in the local woods; I'm still in awe of how many Germans are out there miles from anything every weekend; their foodstands in the middle of nowhere are fantastic!
    Fat Biking and health-13-jan-18-chili.jpg

Capped it off with practicing setting up my bikepacking gear to see how it might fit; still waiting for some straps and the seat bag, but looking good!
    Fat Biking and health-13-jan-18-bikepacking.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex, that looks nice, cold but nice those trails that are groomed look like a lot of fun. Hope you get to ride one.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Pepper, the drive/ride is a great way to make bike commuting work. 12 miles a day will add up nicely at months end.

The Farley looks fantastic all kitted out. To get you in the mood for some bike packing have a look at the "Bike Wanderer" website or look him up on youtube as "I want to see the world" great videos and blogs of his ride from Alaska down to south America. The last few months have been on a Fat Bike. The guy really has a taste for adventure, and if you have the time its really worth watching the twenty odd videos that he has posted. It will get you out on your bike.

OZ.

P.S as I type this I am tracking my oldest sons flight from Manchester to Munich. Everything seems so close together in Europe, 1.5 hours flight time down here gets you nowhere.

FB&H rider
    Surly, thanks for the suggestion - more stuff to waste time on.
    Yes, the way I say it to friends in the US is that the US (Australia) is almost as big as all of Western Europe put together. I drove all the way down to the south of Croatia from where I live in 10 hours: a 10 hour drive in Washington (where I'm from) only gets me halfway to Disneyland.

Hi TexMex: Nice snow pictures, including the night shot. I kind of wish I had access to those areas I run in at night. Technically, these public parks are locked and/or closed to access at sunset.

Dr Pepper: Great dedication in pedaling to work. Like Oz says, those miles and the fitness attained in doing it will add up real nice when the warmer weather months come back.

Spring like temps with monsoon style rains came and washed the snow from the nor
    easter away and now another cold front has settled in with some light snow for tonight. Meanwhile up on the towpaths near Trenton, NJ, massive ice chunks on the Delaware have piled up, causing minor river flooding in the areas of Yardley, PA and Trenton, NJ. Link: http://6abc.com/weather/ice-jam-on-d...nings/2946548/

mtbr member
    You guys are hardcore. I love reading your ride reports.

Hey-quick question: Anyone know where once can access (rent or otherwise) the movie, Full Cycle: A World Odyssey?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish