Fat Biking and health - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 9262
    mtbr member
    Went out to ride this morning and I had a flat. I know exactly where I picked up a small piece of glass. I threw it on my Jeep and headed to the bike shop. No patches or tubes. There were people there, when I got there. The owner was busy, I told him front flat. Can I ride the Fat Boy....It gets rid of me while he's dealing with customers looking at new stuff.

Yeah go ahead.

SO I got my first ride on a fat bike. It brought a smile to my face quickly. I rode the canal path to Washington Crossing Park, did a loop there and then back to Yardley on the canal path. A little over 9.5 miles.

As I rode the Fat Boy I realized the seat needed to be adjusted a lil higher. It took me a little bit to figure out the gearing. In riding position I was more forward (more weight on my hands) on the fat bike than my Crosstrail. The tires are very noisy even on the gravel of the canal path. Grass really quiets them down. You work harder to move the fat bike versus my normal bike (not a bad thing). I'm not a fan of the gear shifting mechanism on the Fat Boy. Its the inside part of the hand grip on both sides. The brakes were mushy. The bike felt a bit stiff as I hit bumps. It handled (steering) a lil differently than my normal ride. But all in all it was a fun experience. When I got to Washington Crossing running the bike through the grass was so easy it was impressive. There are a few spots I will look forward to riding this Fat Boy. The bike got me a lot of smiles from other riders, especially of the female persuasion.

So when I got back to the bike shop, I spoke with Mike (owner). We went over a few things. Add a front tube extension, that will get me more upright. Look to maybe change the shifters. Add a different grip. Get the bike adjusted to me.

I walked up to check the bike I rode was the same as the one I like in the window of the shop. Blue frame versus black. There is a sales receipt on my bike in the window. I walked back to Mike and ask "Did you sell the one in the window?"

What?

Is the bike in the window sold?

Why do you ask?

There's a sales receipt on it?

Oh, no that's holding it for you.

I'm in trouble.... I didn't buy it ...... but we ain't too far away.

Any comments on my report will be GREATLY appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yep, you're in trouble. Fat bikes are like jeeps. They are geared low, usually very stable and will roll or climb over things that would stop most mountain bikes. They aren't the latest, greatest, trail shredding creation but if you want to load it with packs and head for the backside of no-where's ville, thats where they shine.

mtbr member
    Hey Chief, the more you ride it, the more you will learn how to ride it. I ride a lot of different bikes. The fatty I have is only 24 pounds but a lot of that weight is still rolling mass. I come from a lot of SS riding and the Fat Boy is different. I have to be seated a lot more, spin and let the bike do the work, use lower gearing on the climbs, and . When I haven't been able to ride it for a week it takes me about 30 minutes to get into the flow of riding it again. When I went out of town and when I raced, I almost always rode my SS because I liked it more and was faster. I am not that much slower on the Fatty depending on the trail and now it, and not the SS, make the occasional out of town trips.

You will love it. I would advise a tubeless setup and playing with your tire pressures until you hit the sweet spot. My sweet spot is 7.5 to 8 in the rear and 6 to 6.5 on the trail. On Gravel I run about 2 psi higher in both. I have a low pressure gauge and that is what my gauge shows. Hope this helps. I love my FatBoy SL. It is 1x11 and I like that shifting system. Have fun because you will smile a lot.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

you have stepped out of a sedan and into a jeep. They are not something that doesn't take a little getting the hang of. They are simply put so much more fun for off road. They seem to be unstoppable which makes each and every ride an adventure in itself.
    Personally I hate gripshift. I am running X9 1x10 on my fatty. The front is 28 with a 36-11 cassette. The 28-36 has been plenty low for climbing, even in the snow. Not too shabby for a heart patient. I can't wait to be off the meds cause they are like I have a governor preventing me from the speeds I prefer.
    As for tire pressure, if they feel like ping pong balls bouncing off rocks, they may be too inflated for your weight. It takes a few rides and playing with the pressure to get it feeling good. Just think, you don't have to pump 'em up rock hard. As for bar position, a good riser bar gets you more upright on the bike.

Aand, you're in trouble! Does Momma know what you've been up to?

OldBear, Robert, He's almost hooked. Chief, first hit's free...wanna fly kid, ya gotta buy kid! (A public service announcement)

The Fatboy is a very nice rig, indeed. It should serve you extremely well. Robert is very pleased with his.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Here was the fatty taking in the scenery down by the Colorado River on my way to visit my brother today after Chuch...

Fat Biking and health-img_0227.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_0226.jpg

Finally getting some rays around here. went the scenic route so it would not be a bloody teaser of a ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks for sharing the pictures, BansheeRune. I was discharged from the hospital Thursday night and I won't be able to ride for 2 weeks. I have to live vicariously through this groups adventures.

mtbr member
    Nice pics. thanks

Rippin da fAt
    Glad to share 'em, xbmedic. Hope you are doing well and mending.

Heres links for some fatty pix for ya, just in case you haven't seen 'em...

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dai...46442-351.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/dai...l#post11996959

Thanx Robert. Was a beautiful day for a good time with the fAt. Rode 20+ miles and sure was nice to not be chased by lightning. I did give it more gas this time to get an idea of how it would affect my heart. No issues at all...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Ok, I will quit lurking and finally say something. LOL I Rode for about three hours yesterday on an one way trip south to Edgar Springs via back roads and gravel. Real fun, except for one verrrrry long and steep climb. But the reward was a spectacular view of the valley I had just come out of. I put in, according to Tom's cyclung computer, a grand total of 45 miles.

Didn't go out today as I had a major headache and my left knee needed iced.

Chief: Once you go fat you'll never go back. Once you get that fat boy dialed in for your own personal riding style you'll love it. I really haven't had to do too much adjust9ing other than my saddle height and positioning the brake and shifter levers for my Monster. But I think once you get that fat bpoy doaled in you won't spend as much time as you do noiw on that 29er.

Banshee: Riding on the sabbath, tsk tsk tsk. what would the Bishop say? When I lived in Utah and was a member of the LDS church, our only means of transportation for two years was our bikes. When Adam (Our youngest) was still in diapers and we had run out of detergent and formula on a Sunday, I rode to our local Smiths and picked some up, Well our Bishop called me into his office the next Sunday and chewed me out for riding on the sabbath. That was the most embarassing thing that ever happened to me there in Price Utah. (enough of a rant for now).
    I love the pictures of the bike. I want to get one like it. I like the bent top tube. Witgh the arthritis in my knees and a touch in my right hip that would be Ideal. How does it Ride and Handle?

So everyone have a pleasant night. Also, everyone go ride someplace tomorrow.

Until tomorrow--------PEACE -LOVE -AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Family--------Fred, Sue , And Sean
    :thumbsup:Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN:thumbsup:

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Frankly, the Bishop approves, as I used my bike to go over to my brothers to visit. Lol!
    My bike feels very much like a proper mountain bike, with the exception of the excessive traction afforded by the D5's. It actually rides very nice and has good acceleration despite the 4.fat tires. Oh yeah, My Bishop appreciates the fact that the bike emits less pollutants than my automobile. Yay!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice and Wise Bishop.

I rode 81 miles of pavement and gravel yesterday. Little over 5000 feet of climbing.

Trails are soaked and closed from 5 days of rain. Just a very wet spring here.

Rippin da fAt
    Our Bishop is awesome. We are sorting out a bike ride that we we will abscond with the Bishop. We have bikes available in case he doesn't have one in working order. It's also to benefit David as a distraction from his medical woes. Hope we can pull it off sooner than later.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Our Bishop is awesome. We are sorting out a bike ride that we we will abscond with the Bishop. We have bikes available in case he doesn't have one in working order. It's also to benefit David as a distraction from his medical woes. Hope we can pull it off sooner than later.
    I believe that the LDS Church is different away from the state of Utah. With that being said, my experience here in mid Mo. has been kinda dismal. The bishop that we had kinda ignored us. We had a home yeacher that would visit us once every three months when he remembered. mind you we couldn't get to the ward for meetings because we lived 26 miles from it and had no car. Annnd no one would bother to check on us and see if they could offer us a ride. \
    But when we were in Colorado Springs our bishop was wonderful. He saw to it we had food and the basics to run our house even though 9it was a RV. Same for our branch president when we lived 50 miles from the Fredericktown Branch. That Brother even drove down to us every month with a pickup full of supplies. It's all a matter of personality to me. Enough of the ranting of an oldbear.

Today I rode the paved bike path for a total of 24 miles. I was waiting out the rain that was supposed to come, but never did. (Ugh)

tomorrow is going to be partly cloudy with a high in the lower 70's. I am heading up to Jefferson city to ride the KATY with Tom.

Until later---------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Reading this thread for the first time - very inspirational! It is great to see folks taking charge of life's variables (while dealing with the "givens") via cycling.

I began my filth bike phase back in 1985 with a 32# Stumpjumper. I've been hooked since then; at 57 I bought my first fatty 2 months ago.
    I can't wipe the raccoon eating-fish-guts grin off my face! These things are so much fun! My poor old C-F 29er is being ignored.
    Thanks for the great dialog!

Rippin da fAt
    Welcome to the OldBear channel, Efnfatty!

Yep, most of us in here have something ailing us and found the fat bike is a great way to keep on living life. And, you have been absorbed by the fAt! The saying that they bring a Cheshire cat grin to your face can only be fully recognized by owning one and discovering that your other bike(s) are being neglected is so true. Enjoy your new friend in good health, my friend!

OldBear, not all wards are created equally, sadly to say. Hope you are having a good day...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Wow! Banshee, where are you? There's water in the Colorado? I've been hearing how the river doesn't make it to the sea anymore without drying up and how there's little water in it anymore. Sure looks like it's running full where you are!

I've got a sandy wash to explore this morning, before the rain comes back for the next three days.

Rippin da fAt
    Lonevikikng,

I'm in the Glenwood Springs area, not far from where it begins. We get to have fun in that water long before it gets squandered. The snow pack is starting to melt in earnest now because May was lower temps than normal. It's really raging now that we've had a couple days of 80 degree weather.

OldBear,
    How was riding the KATY?

Chief,
    You've been awfully quiet, is there a fatty in the house???

Robert,
    How's the odometer? I wish I were ready for rides like you have been on.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Banshee, sounds like you folks actually had some snow in your mountains. Not much around here, just rain.

Not a long ride this evening for me, only about two miles. Went up a steep, sandy wash into about a 20 mph headwind. Another storm system coming in with more rain.
    Anyway, here's a picture:

Fat Biking and health-bike-sandy-wash.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Loneviking,

We had a very wet May, and cold. Very little sun the whole month.

Nice pic...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Loneviking,

We had a very wet May, and cold. Very little sun the whole month.

Nice pic...

Banshee: Now we are getting your weather. Lot's of rain for next week and I hate that. While you are sitting at 7000ft we are at 1100ft. Our humidity is at 95% while yours is at 28%. I wanna move west ASAP! I have been scouring the web for rental homes in Moab, Grand Junction and Glenwood. Not too much out there. But I think we'll find something real soon.

Our ride went well. I didn't get tired or have any sort of problems health wise and the weather cooperated and stayed cool.

Loneviking: That Pic is neat! Post some more, pleeze?

Until Later -----------LOVE-PEACE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    COLD & RAINY the last 3 days. I'm going crazy to get out.

No fattie yet, maybe for Father's Day the tower will give clearance to fly. We'll see.

Hoping it clears a lil today so I can get out.

I hope everyone is doing well and getting out when they can.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Out here your best bet is to check the local newspapers, look up property mgmt. companies or ride your bike thru neighborhoods looking for the for rent signs. Ads are very expensive so many rentals are not listed online or in papers.
    Junktown (Grand Junction) and Moab are very similar in weather, tho' Moab is more expensive, in terms of rents. Just think, if you move this way, Denver has medical facilities that may be able to take Mrs. OldBear...Just a thought.

Chief, you need to lobby the ways & means committee properly for desired results...

Robert's truant...AGAIN!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OldBear,

Out here your best bet is to check the local newspapers, look up property mgmt. companies or ride your bike thru neighborhoods looking for the for rent signs. Ads are very expensive so many rentals are not listed online or in papers.
    Junktown (Grand Junction) and Moab are very similar in weather, tho' Moab is more expensive, in terms of rents. Just think, if you move this way, Denver has medical facilities that may be able to take Mrs. OldBear...Just a thought.

Chief, you need to lobby the ways & means committee properly for desired results...

Robert's truant...AGAIN!!!
    Before my name goes up onto the truancy I had best check in. lol
    I know that we'll have to come out and do a recon job for a place. That's how we found our place in Price Utah after NOT finding any place to rent in Provo, (Happy Valley). Maybe you could send me a classified ad or two from the Springs' local paper? I can PM you my address.

Today my stomach was a little queasy so I didn't Ride. But yesterday I rode over in St. James for three hours just exploring with Tom. We rode a highly technical section and Loved it! There were lots of logs and rocoks.

Just be patient Chief, your day will come.

Robert: Dang it where are you?

Until Tomorrow-----------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Family--------Fred, Sue and Sean

Rippin da fAt
    *OldBear enlists the anti-truancy squad*

Hey OldBear, I would be glad to get some info to ya. Feel free to PM your contact info...
    Hope you are feeling better. Sounds like yesterday was an adventure, indeed!

David has been diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma that is easily treatable and not notorious for going berserk and taking over the world. What a relief!

Chief, how is fat bike lobbying going?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hope all of you have a nice riding weekend. Hope to do a longer fat ride tomorrow. Stay healthy and keep the rubber side down.

mtbr member
    Hi Y'all!

Greetings from tyhe HOT and HUMID Ozarks. Today was definately a no ride day. The Temp got up to 91F and the humidity never got below 70%. So the Olbear stayed put.

By the way, WHERE IS EVERYBODY? Need I summon the Truancy squad once Again?

I go back to the e-n-t doctor tomorrow and I am finally going to have a biopsy on my nose. And I need him to look at my left ear. There's a small spot on it. But it isn't like the right ear. Thank God.

Well it's 11:00pm an dI need to hit the hay. everyone one get out and ride!

UNtil Tomorrow -------------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    Best wishes, OldBear. That humidity sounds miserable. Best to not push it too hard.

Took the day to lay low.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I got to ride all weekend, cool and cloudy. Today the humidity is building, chance of severe thunderstorms this evening. Hoping to get a ride in before the storms.

Good luck with the Dr's oldbear.

mtbr member
    I got in 60 miles of riding over two days with 7917 feet of climbing. Today was 11.5 miles with 2360 vertical. Yesterday was around 49 miles with 5557 vertical. I loved it. Here's a pic from the top of Stanley Gap Trail near Blue Ridge, Ga. Steep and rocky and narrow but fun trail. Some of it is pusher but not as much with fatty.

Fat Biking and health-0608151314-01.jpg

Please don't get used to it. I am not used to pic taking at all.

Rippin da fAt
    Too much air in your tires leaves ya shaky...

Nice location Robert. Lotsa miles, too. Keep it up...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Hot! Hot! Hot!

It's bloody hot! Right
    ow it might not seem like it to any who might check on the temp and humidity here in Beautiful Downtown Rolla but it's 85f with a humidity 0f 65% so it feels like 92. And it's goingto 94f today.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I love the PNW - comfortable outside 365.
    If it's 15 degrees out, just layer up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I love the PNW - comfortable outside 365.
    If it's 15 degrees out, just layer up!
    Hey Gambit: Welcome to the thread! I would love to live where it is temperate year round. What town do you live in or what big city is near you? I will add it to the Weather website have on my laptop called the weather underground. I am trying to add some cities form all over the country so I can compare what's happening there to here.

It hit 101.9f here but the humidity has dropped to 36%. Real weird for Missouri. The Site says it feels like 110f. So no rides until much later tonight. I will duct tape (the handiman's secret weapon) a light to my handle bars ala Red Green. LOL Or a friend of mine has a exercise bike I can ride for an hour or so in AC comfort. The weight is slowly creeping back up and I have to do something to keep it in check. Maybe I will get a years pass to our park's dept. rec center to use their equipment. They have spinning classes there. How goofy would it look fro me to join them in my fat biking clothes when everyone else is wearing lycra Jerseys and those tight little cycling shorts? They do offer senior citizens water aerobics. lol My days of swimming laps is long gone. I would just go to the therapy pool and do some flutter kicks. lol.

Until tomorrow-------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS.

Oldbear and family---Fred,. Sue (Mama Bear) and Seanie (The Cub)

mtbr member
    Old Bear, you need to move to the mountains out west where it would be cooler year round. I am lucky that I like the heat but I do take it easier even after I acclimate. I also hope you liked the pic I posted because I hate stopping for pics. Just my nature. Hope everyone has a great rest of the week and weekend. I will ride fatty tomorrow. I did a road ride yesterday and a road to trail today. So Fatty got to rest. I am not subjecting $150.00 tires to pavement anymore than I have to.

mtbr member
    Too much air in your tires leaves ya shaky...

Nice location Robert. Lotsa miles, too. Keep it up...
    No, too much of not taking pictures leaves me being a not for sh#t photographer.

mtbr member
    We've had a run of pretty nice weather through the week, gonna get hot & humid tomorrow the next few days. I'll be out, love the workout. I missed riding the first 3 days of the month due to rain and cold. Haven't missed a day since. We'll have a chance of thunderstorms the next few days so the evening rides are iffy.
    I hope everyone is getting out and getting some rides in. Old bear take care of yourself in the HHH weather, its not worth the doctors bills.

Be well.

Getting the fat itch and I'm hoping to scratch it soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Camano Island Wa, about an hour north of Seattle, about 90 min south of British Columbia.
    A few hours south of Whistler.

mtbr member
    Camano Island Wa, about an hour north of Seattle, about 90 min south of British Columbia.
    A few hours south of Whistler.
    Gambit: Loaded your Island into my laptop. Looks like you have some nice weather up there. Does you temp. stay down due to breezes coming off the sound?

Chief: We hope your itch goes into full a blown rash with a fatbike as the only cure.

Robertdavid: You are right. I Might take a run out to Glenwood Colorado via Amtrak to scope it out. Banshee: are you up for a visitor? I would even pack up my fat bike too. LOL

The high today was that 101.9f. Now our humidity is climbing back up. It was down around 49% now it's back up above 60%. Tomor4row is going to be a bit cooler 89F for the high. Annnnnd I am getting out EARLY to ride the Lion's Club. No errands to run tomorrow so after I finish I can just stay in the AC.

Until Tomorrow------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and clan.

mtbr member

Mozy our little Prince.

Fat Biking and health-mozy.jpg

This is our little prince Mozy. He went home with his new Mom and Dad.
    He's a little enemic right now so he needs special care. We are hoping he pulls through.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Gambit: Loaded your Island into my laptop. Looks like you have some nice weather up there. Does you temp. stay down due to breezes coming off the sound?
    Aye, lots of breeze coming through the Straits of Juan DeFuca - lots of micro-climates around here too. I'd say we have an average of maybe 7 or 8 90-94 degree days a year. Mostly though the summers are mild, lots of 80-84 degree weather, and a few rainy days in July is not uncommon. (almost always drizzles at some point on the 4th of July it seems) Only a few humid days in the 80's that knock you on your arse.

I'm a transplant from Northern California/Bay Area (9 years ago) and I don't miss the oppressive heat in the summer. What I do miss from time to time is the sun. Some winters we can go months without seeing it directly. Didn't have that problem this year though, in fact we hardly had a winter. (disturbing) In fact the last 4 years or so the winters have been getting progressively more mild. We can normally look forward to a few decent snow events even at out fairly low altitude - but nothing this winger. I hope that doesn't continue, but that requires a certain amount of head in the sand I think. The snowpack in the Cascades is at 9% of normal.

Funny, the East Coast keeps getting hammered, and we keep wishing they'd send some of that snow this way.

mtbr member
    Aye, lots of breeze coming through the Straits of Juan DeFuca - lots of micro-climates around here too. I'd say we have an average of maybe 7 or 8 90-94 degree days a year. Mostly though the summers are mild, lots of 80-84 degree weather, and a few rainy days in July is not uncommon. (almost always drizzles at some point on the 4th of July it seems) Only a few humid days in the 80's that knock you on your arse.

I'm a transplant from Northern California/Bay Area (9 years ago) and I don't miss the oppressive heat in the summer. What I do miss from time to time is the sun. Some winters we can go months without seeing it directly. Didn't have that problem this year though, in fact we hardly had a winter. (disturbing) In fact the last 4 years or so the winters have been getting progressively more mild. We can normally look forward to a few decent snow events even at out fairly low altitude - but nothing this winger. I hope that doesn't continue, but that requires a certain amount of head in the sand I think. The snowpack in the Cascades is at 9% of normal.

Funny, the East Coast keeps getting hammered, and we keep wishing they'd send some of that snow this way.
    Hey boys and gurls, Oldebear was on fat bike radio again and can be heard om Friday after about 10am CDST! The interweb show is at Fat-Bike.com So give us a listen. The show is chock full-o-fatness and a lot of laughs. Sven and Gomez are really cool.

Mama Bear (Sue) and I are giving serious thought of finally getting out of Misery, ooopps I mean Missouri for the remainder of our 'golden years'. Banshee sent me a pm about a place for rent in Glenwood Springs Colo. I looks pretty much like I am headed out there to take a look at the area.
    I don't know if I could take then lack of sun in your area. LOL But I bet you have some excellent fishing though. I like wild caught salmon with garlic. pepper and butter. But Glenwood has some excellent trout streams and between Crested Butte and Gunnison there some excellent land locked salmon and trout streams too.
    Of course I am smack dab in the middle of some blue ribbon trout country here too.
    Wading in the cold water is good for my feet.

soooo Until Tomorrow same fat channel sane fat tine (I think)
    PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and clan-------- Fred, Sue and Sean.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I took up fly fishing (used to be a hard-core bass guy) a few years ago.
    Only been out a handful of times - need to get out there again.

Rippin da fAt
    Gambit,

A fish a day keeps the Dr. away! Right below the Rueudi dam there are some monster trout that I have tried in earnest to catch. Shrimp patterns cause the shrimp come down the flume. They are just not falling for it...

OldBear,

The Glenwood area is mild in the summer. If you don't like the July weather, wait 10 minutes. The winter is doable cause we get about 3 weeks of sub zero, then it gets nice from then on. Fat bikes like it here, too!

Robert, You needn't be an ace photog, it's the sharing of the experiences that count.
    Enjoy the fatty ride! Those tires are expensive, tho' my D5's are doing remarkably well, considering they do some pavement to get to the trails. The pavement portion of the ride serves as a warm up for the trail. My heart doesn't like my old ways of fire up and wide open throttle for the duration. If I do a good warm up then I can keep the throttle open more, although the meds are like being governed. Doh! It's all improving noticeably lately. I'm hoping to recover the power I had before the heart attack so I can resume antagonizing roadies. I love riding 2.7's past a roadie!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Gambit I was gonna say I hope you were fishing especially where your at. I surf fish and will be looking to rig the fat bike for a rod once I get it. You can also have all the snow back that you want. We've had a couple tough winters over here in the east, cold and snowy .... I know, just another reason to pull the trigger.

I might be taking an off day today to recover a little. Maybe make a purchase.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief's goin shoppin...yay
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Howdy everyone!

Got a ride in this morning. It was warm but not hot until I was two blocks from home. Put in three laps of the Lion's Club Trails. and I wasn't alone. There was a young man out there on a Gravity Bullseye Monster and we rode together. seems he read the thread and decided to ride what"Oldbear rides". He is 21 and is in the Masters program at the U. He is studying computer engineering and is going to take a look at my seven year old laptop and update it. What was real funny was that on our last lap together I dropped him on a climb! I waited for him at the top and he said he hadn't ridden bike since he was 12. Then I ribbed him and told him that I was 63. he laughed and peddled away toi his car. He migh5t join Tom and I on a foray up to Jefferson City tom ride at Binder Lake park.
    Chief: There is a company that makes fatbike parts geared towards outdoorsmen. They also make complete bikes that aren't too shabby. The company is called Cogburn Outdoors. The bikes come in any color you want as long as it's Realtree camo. (Kinda like H. Ford's model 't's)
    Banshee I called the complex where the town houses are and they said they should have one available for us in August. They have them now too but I have to save for the move.

Until later-------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family-----Fred, Sue and Sean

mtbr member

Looks like the Move is off for awhile.

Weeeellll, It looks as though the move is going to be some time in 2016. I would love to move sooner but Mama Bear Is going to have weight reduction surgery in September. So it's mixed news. They called about 7:00pm and told us that they want to do a Gastric bypass and then when she loses enough weight do the tumor thing. So ,It's good news for her but at the same time kinda a bummer for me that means I will have to endure another summer of Missouri Heat and humidity.
    But that's Okay. I will just ride early in the AM and maybe after dark.

Remember to 'tune in' to Fat-Bike Radio tomorrow at Fat-Bike.com and hear Oldbear discuss a little of what's happening here in the Ozarks. (I'm the last guest). The show is totally geared to Fat Biking and the lifestyle surrounding it. They do review various libations early on in the show, but they are a funny group to listen in on. Every week
    on Fridays sometime after 10am CDST.

Until Tomorrow--------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Family------Fred, Sue (Mama Bear) and Sean (the Cub)`

mtbr member
    Man it was warm today, I got 15 in riding to my chiropractor and back. It was 95 and very humid. Polished off 2 bottles of water during and after the ride.
    Be careful out there with the heat. The Dr's office is out on a hill and it's a bit of a workout to get to it, the run back is nice though.

The buy is delayed a little, I had to purchase airplane tickets today for our cruise in November. It's always something.

Get some miles in this weekend, suppose to cool a little and be in the 80's.

mtbr member
    Man it has been warm/hot every day here and I don't miss the cold one bit. I did a road ride today and may have to gravel or road ride for a few more days. My handlebar had an encounter with a tree I got to close to in the shadows. Nothing major as I landed on my camelback. It will be sore for a few days and then I may test it in the woods again. Will probably ride gravel on Sunday. It happens and I am glad it was not bad. All of you have a good weekend.

mtbr member
    Glad ur OK, the bumps happen. My ride today was all road but a lil bit. Tomorrow will be mostly road too, Sunday will be gravel and canal path.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Sounds like a good reason to endure another hot humid summer. Mrs. OldBear will be better off to work on wellness. Best wishes, Mrs. OldBear! Thoughts and prayers...

Chief,

Glad you got to ride to and from the chiro. I could use a visit too, been way too long.

Robert,

Those trees jump out at you at the most opportune times! Glad you didn't get too badly hurt. Bet it won't make you act your age tho'! Keep up the riding...

Put on a few miles today at lunch time. Weather was nice and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go out for a few miles.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Did 68 mile gravel ride on Sunday with a good friend. He made me stay out there that long. Hottest long ride so far and I could tell it. Still feeling my fall but not as bad. Rode 90 minutes this afternoon on pavement, 97 degrees. Shady but still warm. May be able to hit a trail by Friday if my body keeps mending. I took an ice bath tonight for 15 minutes,
    totally submerged. Brrr but feel so much better for doing it. Sucks when you are laying in about 50 degree water but it is very healing. Maybe another one later this week. Yipee. Hope all of you are feeling well. Robert the nut

mtbr member
    OldBear,

Sounds like a good reason to endure another hot humid summer. Mrs. OldBear will be better off to work on wellness. Best wishes, Mrs. OldBear! Thoughts and prayers...

Chief,

Glad you got to ride to and from the chiro. I could use a visit too, been way too long.

Robert,

Those trees jump out at you at the most opportune times! Glad you didn't get too badly hurt. Bet it won't make you act your age tho'! Keep up the riding...

Put on a few miles today at lunch time. Weather was nice and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go out for a few miles.
    Thanks Banshee. Sue is scheduled for sept 8th to go to St. Louis
    Today I rode out to newburg and rode around in the old RR yard
    It was a beautiful day and it didn't get real hot until the ride home. My O2 when I got home was 96% and my heart rate was at 98. Within a half hour of sitting don=wn I checked again and the O2 was back upmto 98% and my heart rate was down to 60.

mtbr member
    No ride today, major heat and humidity .... plus I got a synvisc shot in my right knee. Lat time I got one I rode that day and the effects of the injection went away quicker than past shots so I took today off to see if there's any difference this time.

mtbr member
    95 degrees this afternoon, whew, but lots of shade and a breeze. Did a road and little trail ride today. Still shaking off the effects of the whamo last Thursday. I just drink more when it is hot. Gotta get acclimated to it eventually. I like warm a lot better than really cold.

Also, when any of you can, please explain to me O2 levels, why some of your heart rates are so low when exercising. Only reason I can figure is you are on Beta Blocking medications. Miss hearing from all of you when you don't post. And you get on my behind when I am truant. Hah.

mtbr member
    Chief: Looks like Bansheerun and Robertdavid are truant again. Let's post about them then they'll write. LOL.
    Bummer about you weather. Annnd I know about shots in the joints. I after my ride today I thumped my Left knee HARD on a table in our room. The ER Doc gave me a lidocaine shot and a script for 800mg Ibuprophen. I have to take it easy tomorrow and thursday. Friday will be my first day to ride. I am going to my ortho-[edist at mercy clinic wE ARE ONCE AGAIN IN mONSOON MODE HERE IN THE oZARKS. tHERE WON'T BE ANY TRAIL RIDING UNTIL sATURDAY.

mtbr member
    Bear looks like Robertdavid beat you too it.

I like riding in the heat and just swallow more water as I ride. I take water everyday with me and it goes quicker on the H&H days. I add some ice pre-ride to keep it cool. I ride some road and then onto the canal path (gravel) where it has shade to help with the sun.
    As an ex-runner I acclimate to the heat pretty well. Just takes some time in to get your body ready.

I took the day to see if rest will help the effects of the shot maybe last longer. This was the first on of the year, with a cortisone shot in March when I first started riding outside. Hopefully this gets me into the fall for fishing season.

mtbr member
    Hey Chief, I am an ex-runner also. Used to run 65 to 80 mpw in my youth and know, I put a little over 57,000 running miles on my body. Got compartment syndrome and didn't want to have surgery, when I was 48. That was 12 years ago and I don't miss it at all. Love all the kind of biking I do but my favorite is gravel and single track but I don't mind the road at all. Did you ever run any road races from 5km to the marathon or did you like even shorter stuff? I cannot wait to feel completely healed up from my whammo and get back on my fatty on the trail. And speaking of truant, where in the hell is Bansheerune? We are waiting. Last post was 3 days ago. You okay Wade?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Hey Chief, I am an ex-runner also. Used to run 65 to 80 mpw in my youth and know, I put a little over 57,000 running miles on my body. Got compartment syndrome and didn't want to have surgery, when I was 48. That was 12 years ago and I don't miss it at all. Love all the kind of biking I do but my favorite is gravel and single track but I don't mind the road at all. Did you ever run any road races from 5km to the marathon or did you like even shorter stuff? I cannot wait to feel completely healed up from my whammo and get back on my fatty on the trail. And speaking of truant, where in the hell is Bansheerune? We are waiting. Last post was 3 days ago. You okay Wade?
    When I was MUCH younger, I ran a lot too. But I would head to a forest preserve and run the trails. I did that because I had learned at the age of 18 that pavement running was destroying my knees rather quickly..

I talked to our truant one, Wade, He should be posting soon. Comon' Wade!

Until Later--------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and clan----Mama bear, Sean and Fred.

Rippin da fAt
    I've been caught by the truancy officer! Howdy all. Been involved with a project with an ungodly deadline the past week. The rides have been lunch time rides, full throttle. Just can't keep me offa the fatty...

Chief, where's the Fat Boy??? Hope you have some good rides regardless.

Robert,

Glad you are getting out and hitting the trails. How you doing after the argument with your bike last week? You know bikes usually get their say in the matter!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    95 degrees this afternoon, whew, but lots of shade and a breeze. Did a road and little trail ride today. Still shaking off the effects of the whamo last Thursday. I just drink more when it is hot. Gotta get acclimated to it eventually. I like warm a lot better than really cold.

Also, when any of you can, please explain to me O2 levels, why some of your heart rates are so low when exercising. Only reason I can figure is you are on Beta Blocking medications. Miss hearing from all of you when you don't post. And you get on my behind when I am truant. Hah.
    I guess that when I put down O2 levels in my blood I do need to explain it. I found at Walgreens last july a meter that fits on the tip of your finger and measures just how much oxygen is in your blood and also measures your pulse or heart rate. My heart rate is normally at h=rest around 55-63 beats per minute. Imhope to get a cycling computer that measures my heart rate during a ride when I am putting out max effort. My listing of the Heart rate right after a ride is more or less after i have begun my cool down or rest period. I would estimate that my heart rate at max effort will be a minimum of 10-15 BPM higher than right after my ride. I usually test both Oxygen level and heart rate after 30 minutes into my recovery time in my chair.
    As far as a beta blocker goes, I Guess that would be my Avostatin. I am also on Plavix which helps my heart pump more efficently by thinning my blood. (sometimes it's a bit of a nightmare when I cut myself. I just bleed a lot more easy)

Until, later today--------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and clan-------Fred, Sue and Seanie

Rippin da fAt
    Robert,

The O2 level is a measurement of oxygen level in the bloodstream. Normally you should be at or above 90%. Most nonsmokers are somewhere between 94-98%. Below 90% is considered to be of concern.

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    robertdavid, ran a few 5k's, 10k was the norm most weeks, 10 mile races a few times a year and the Philly half every year. Back surgery in 2000 stopped all of that. Weight jumped on like sea gulls on a garbage pile over the years.
    Got fed up, found a bike and started riding in 2010 and found my runners high again. The bike has become an addiction and I need to remember to enjoy the ride which I have started doing again instead of pushing every ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks for explaining the O2 levels. Blood thinners suck but preform a vital function. I know about them from my mother being on them. Hope all of you get out some today. It has been hot here but it beats winter all to heck, IMHO.

mtbr member
    I did a 28 mile single speed pavement ride along with some beat up roads on my single speed with 38mm slicks. I set it up 32x14 for the roads around here. Climbed a little over 1900 feet which is decent and most of that was on the 13 mile loop I did in Percy Warner Park. Great shaded park roads. :O) Have a great weekend. Robert

p.s. In case you think I am some young punk, I turned 60 today. Definitely, not a punk and definitely not young in terms of athletics.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 06-19-2015 at 04:15 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    Happy B-Day Robert!

That's some good riding on an SS.

I did a short ride at lunch time, prolly 10 miles. Went for a couple slices o pizza at the end. Putting the finishing touches on a theater...tomorrow the software gets loaded and the testing begins. Should be an early day.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks Bansheerune. I know you are glad to be done with the work order. You and all have a great weekend. Robert

Rippin da fAt
    I did a 28 mile single speed pavement ride along with some beat up roads on my single speed with 38mm slicks. I set it up 32x14 for the roads around here. Climbed a little over 1900 feet which is decent and most of that was on the 13 mile loop I did in Percy Warner Park. Great shaded park roads. :O) Have a great weekend. Robert

p.s. In case you think I am some young punk, I turned 60 today. Definitely, not a punk and definitely not young in terms of athletics.
    We are toys r us kids, Robert...In this thread you can freely admit it! lol
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    More like Bikes r Us addicts.

mtbr member
    More like Bikes r Us addicts.
    Robertdavid: Yup I am an addict! But at the same time I am a kid too. LOL.
    By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY! So now you are almost a senior citizen!!In Missouri
    55 is considered a sr.

Banshee; I am not truant. I have just been coolin' my heels a bit. I did ride a bit this afternoon in between the raindrops. (Cue B.J. Thomas) No0 trail ride but a nice leisurely ride across town to see my friend who is looking at BD fat bikes. He tried mine out and loved it! Had to drop the seat a bit but a 17.5 will fit him well.

Another reason I haven't posted I have been involved with the Mosque's Ramadan program and writing letters to Inmates at a correctional center to the south of us.

Untill Later-----------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family........Fred, Sue and Sean.

mtbr member
    Impressive ride robertdavid even for a youngen.

I got out this afternoon in the heat of the day, beat a front home to stay out of the rain. I could see it coming and worked hard to get home ahead of it.

Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, I've been wanting to all week. I figure I'll be up and out around 6am. LOL

Everyone have a great weekend and Happy Father's Day to all.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear's on a sales call for BD...Again!

Robert, guilty as charged!

Chief, fatty report??? Glad you're getting some riding in.

Saturday will be a fatty day, indeed! I look forward to going out for a trail ride with no time constraints. What a blessing!

Happy fathers day to all the fathers out there!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Happy fathers day to all the fathers out there!
    YOU TOO MAN!!

my new fatty is keeping me in shape for sure... I commute daily 20 miles on this thing, knobby tires set to about 10 PSI, and boy its a workout... love it though, its exactly what I needed... so far I have ridden about 300 miles on it, mix of road sand and dirt lol... and oh ya, did I mention? its been 100 to 100+ the last two weeks! looks like ive been riding in the rain when im done! lol

I have a goal to lose 30-50 pounds by the end of the year so.....

Rippin da fAt
    Wagon,

Get you butt out there and give it your all. OldBear has lost a huge amount of unwanted weight riding his fatty. They give a great workout that doesn't feel like a task. The big grin on your mug is all it takes!

I've been riding my fatty with the tires low for the extra rolling resistance cause I haven't had time for proper long rides as of late. It's done wonders post heart surgery.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yes, love the workout it brings... I broke my leg 2 yrs ago, and JUST got to the point of somewhat comfortably riding a bike... it still hurts everytime I ride, but its worth it!

BTW did I mention im training for the lake Tahoe ride with this beast next year... not sure if im going to do the whole 60 mile ride (spots are limited) but definatly going to do the 35 mile one!.... I wonder if many fatties have done it? I know it will be a helluva challenge LOL

mtbr member
    Fatty report - not yet, still looking and saving. There is one for sale here that REALLY has my interest. Just concerned pulling the trigger on it, buying used from people you don't know over the internet has it's down side. I've seen a few burns on a fishing site I'm a long time member of and I have my reservations.

Rode late this am, it was a fun ride. Lots of wild life out with the cloudy humid conditions, not too many people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonguy1989 View Post
    YOU TOO MAN!!

my new fatty is keeping me in shape for sure... I commute daily 20 miles on this thing, knobby tires set to about 10 PSI, and boy its a workout... love it though, its exactly what I needed... so far I have ridden about 300 miles on it, mix of road sand and dirt lol... and oh ya, did I mention? its been 100 to 100+ the last two weeks! looks like ive been riding in the rain when im done! lol

I have a goal to lose 30-50 pounds by the end of the year so.....
    Wagonguy1:
    Welcome to our little family! And Happy Father's day to you Too! Sounds like you're off to a great start. Consistency is key in any weight loss program. As you probably have read, I have lost over 80 pounds riding daily. I have logged close to 1800 miles on my fatty. I love to ride. I use it as my only means of transportation. So welcome and keep it up.

Today was an early morning ride day. I got out at 6:30am and rode until 9:30am.
    Put in about six laps at the Lion's Club Park trails. I got home just in time because the temp rose real quick and the humidity hit 79%. So I am now in the AC and just chillin'.

Until Tomorrow-----PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I've been lurking on these boards for a bit now, but after reading this thread decided to register and join in. I'm in what most people would describe as good health being an amatuer powerlifter (585 Deadlift, 620 Squat, 320 Bench) and just bought a fatbike for my "active rest" days.

I thought I was in good shape until I rode my bike for the first time yesterday, for a grand total of about .5 miles and then came home and proceeded to take a two hour long nap. So for me at least, the term "health" is subjective, but for the OP, keep it up!

mtbr member
    Welcome to the party! Be encouraged and stay with it despite the (inevitable) sore bum!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ride .5 miles, come home exhausted and then nap?

Been there, done that, still doing that if it involves a mountain trail! I've got some 2.7" tires coming, i'll see if that makes any difference.

Rippin da fAt
    2.7???

I bought a fatty cause I wanted a Jeep that I call a bike! I ride my fatty daily cause the thing is pure addiction. Now I need to relearn how to ride anything less than 3.8". After heart surgery the fatty has been a Godsend. Loneviking needs a turbocharger...There I said it!
    I must admit, I do ride my "dirt couch" sometimes too. It's equipped with Knard 3.0's and rides nicely with 'em, but they cannot replace the smiles per mile factor of a 4.8 bike.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Put fatty in the shop to cut the width of my bars. Did 45 road and gravel miles today it got to 97 so, my planned 60, got cut short. Heat on the pavement was brutal, especially climbing. Hope all of you had a good day. I think that fall did some rib damage. It amazes me that as it heals, I notice it more. ?

Rippin da fAt
    Robert,

A few years back I was riding Mary's loop in Junk Town heading into a curve and accelerating through the last 2/3'ds of the curve and found a rock hidden in a shrub on the edge of the trail. It ejected me and my bike straight up in the air. The bike landed with the bars sticking up and I landed left side on the end of the bar, then the ground. Knocked the wind outta me twice. The next day was another story. I couldn't move to save my life. Went to the doc to find I fractured 3 ribs. 2 months later to the chiro, found out that ribs can be dislocated. 10 minutes with the chiro, I was a new man.
    Friggen excruciating experience, indeed!

No, I still don't act my age on a bike...Never have, never will!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    2.7???

I bought a fatty cause I wanted a Jeep that I call a bike! I ride my fatty daily cause the thing is pure addiction. Now I need to relearn how to ride anything less than 3.8". After heart surgery the fatty has been a Godsend. Loneviking needs a turbocharger...There I said it!
    I must admit, I do ride my "dirt couch" sometimes too. It's equipped with Knard 3.0's and rides nicely with 'em, but they cannot replace the smiles per mile factor of a 4.8 bike.
    LOL, yep, an electric assist or a turbo charger would sure be nice!

Hey, 2.7 is still fat, just baby fat.

Next year I may put 2.5 Big Apples on her and go road touring!

Rippin da fAt
    I tried one of the Special Ed assist bikes, it hauls ass!

I have thought about a pair of Floyd's. would be interesting to see how they improve fuel economy for street riding. Tubeless makes tire changes rather unappealing tho'.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnsk View Post
    I've been lurking on these boards for a bit now, but after reading this thread decided to register and join in. I'm in what most people would describe as good health being an amatuer powerlifter (585 Deadlift, 620 Squat, 320 Bench) and just bought a fatbike for my "active rest" days.

I thought I was in good shape until I rode my bike for the first time yesterday, for a grand total of about .5 miles and then came home and proceeded to take a two hour long nap. So for me at least, the term "health" is subjective, but for the OP, keep it up!
    Finnsk: Welcome to the thread. Don't give up on fat biking. I believe that it can be included into your training routine. You probably realize this already but, you might be exercising some different muscles with cycling. It takes time to build up a core for cycling too. When I re-started cycling almost a year ago, I wasn't in the best of shape. The best could doi was two laps around the big block in front of oour aspartment complex. (Four Miles). I would come home and flop onto the couchand nap. My butt, legs and even lungs would ache and ache. But as I cycled more I discovered my weight dropping and other things improving. to date I have lost close to 90 pounds and they have taklen me off oxygen except in emergency situations. So keep riding. Take short runs and they will build up toi big ones.

Today is a no ride day. I got sick yesterday and had to go to the ER. I had a mini stroke (TIA). The Doc felt i didn't need hospitalization but I can't ride until Wednesday. ( major bummer)

Until Later---------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and crew--------Sue Sean And Fred.

mtbr member

Sidelined again

I HAVE BEEN SIDELINED -------AGAIN iT SEEMS THAT EVERYTIME ONE THING GOES RIGHT ANOTHER GOES HORRIBLY WRONG!
    I had to return to the ER again yesterday. More chest pain and more nasty @#$% going on. I have been diagnosed with a form of Pluerosy ( forgive my spelling). I had a pill get caught in my upper part of my throat and i wrenched by coughing extremely hard my muscles in my chest walls. Now they are inflamed and I am sidelined for a minimum of a week
    And I have to go back on oxygen for two weeks, or, until my breating returns to normal
    Even worse i have tosleep sitting up in bed or if I can get a recliner from a buddies apartment and put in the bedroom.

But that means I will not forget this thread it let's me vent.

Robertdavid: remember that when you hit sixty like you have you DO NOT get an owners manual with the so called "Golden Years". You just gotta roll with it.

Chief: come on brudda pull that trigger. Once you rid efat you'll never go back.

Banshee I need more pics!

Until later today---------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Our warrantees have been expired for a while now...
    I hear there's an ER Anonymous meeting nearby!

Chief's gonna get fat, and love it!

Robert's getting the miles in for us! Keep it up, my friend! Damn, I wish to hell I could still ride like that...

OLDBEAR...Get some rest!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    ...remember that when you hit sixty like you have you DO NOT get an owners manual with the so called "Golden Years". You just gotta roll with it. ...
    That's so true.

Every training routine I have read basically works on the basis that you are otherwise in perfect condition. By the time you're 60 that's unlikely, and by the time you're 70 it's improbable. Following a routine aimed at perfect people is likely to cause overuse injuries in my experience.

Our generation is the first wave of those who continue to exercise hard late in life so there's no material. Instead you're treated as if you're a bit odd for simply being capable of turning a pedal. Sports bodies aren't interested in elderly folk competing in sport, they think it's wonderful if you can walk without a Zimmer frame. When I tried to find info that would help in training for the 24 hour world championships last year there was nothing I could use or even appropriate coaching advice.

The other problem is dietary. In endurance races (24 hour) I simply cannot eat the sort of stuff younger guys take for energy. It either gives me the drizzling sh*ts, or projectile backfiring, and there's no precedents to go on other than what I have evolved for myself.

One thing is for sure though, nothing will improve unless you move, but rest is equally important after effort.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    As we age, recovery time and very easy days come more often. That is for sure. You have to be smarter but can still ride well. When I turned 50, I never gave it a second thought. Turning 60, well, it definitely affected me mentally but it will pass. Just proves I am normal.

OldBear, so sorry to hear you are feeling bad. Hope you recover fully.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    That's so true.

Every training routine I have read basically works on the basis that you are otherwise in perfect condition. By the time you're 60 that's unlikely, and by the time you're 70 it's improbable. Following a routine aimed at perfect people is likely to cause overuse injuries in my experience.

Our generation is the first wave of those who continue to exercise hard late in life so there's no material. Instead you're treated as if you're a bit odd for simply being capable of turning a pedal. Sports bodies aren't interested in elderly folk competing in sport, they think it's wonderful if you can walk without a Zimmer frame. When I tried to find info that would help in training for the 24 hour world championships last year there was nothing I could use or even appropriate coaching advice.

The other problem is dietary. In endurance races (24 hour) I simply cannot eat the sort of stuff younger guys take for energy. It either gives me the drizzling sh*ts, or projectile backfiring, and there's no precedents to go on other than what I have evolved for myself.

One thing is for sure though, nothing will improve unless you move, but rest is equally important after effort.
    Look up Joe Friels books 'Fast After 50' and 'Cycling Past 50'. I see and occasionally get to talk some with cyclists (roadies) in their late 60's and 70's. Some of these guys and gals can drop the average rider like a bad transmission when they want to. They are incredibly healthy, happy people who give me hope for the future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Look up Joe Friels books 'Fast After 50' and 'Cycling Past 50'...

Read them. Unfortunately I'm not in perfect condition...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Velo, stay with it and you will be.

I'm on the DL for a bit. I was sitting at my desk at Monday morning, shifted my hips and my lower back clicked ....Boom, back is out. Haven't had this issue for 15 years since back surgery. Hit the chiropractor yesterday on the way home from work. Helped a little, stretching 3 to 4 times a day and I'll get into the good chiropractor tomorrow afternoon. Pain is minimal but certain movements bring it on hard. So I have some work to do. I felt it coming, hamstrings and hips were overnight and I was having trouble getting them loose.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that Chief. I rode about 1.5 hours this afternoon. It is as hot as I can remember, this time of year. Beats being cold by a long shot but I have been cutting my rides a little short and watching my pace.

mtbr member
    old bear, sorry to hear about your setback. Hang tough, we get through these things and move on.
    I'm doing a lot of stretching trying to get it loose.

mtbr member
    Hi!
    Just dropped in so I don't get reported to the truancy squad. LOL
    Nothing much to report except we have 91.7 on the weather underground and a heat index of------108. Oldbear is staying put unless it's out to an air conditioned car then back into an air conditioned building. We are keeping the apartment cold. 73f the thermostat is set for 72 and the unit is getting a real work out.
    Less sore than yesterday and I can now take deep breaths. I will be glad to get back on the Fatty! I did dust it today.

Until Later_____PEACE-LOVE AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family------Sean, Sue and Fred

mtbr member

Some weight iscoming off again!

Greatnews the weight I put on over the last few onths has receeded! When they took me into the ER they have a policy to weigh incoming ambulance patients. When I read the discharge summary I found that I dropped down from 260 back to 244!

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that Chief is working on the back and OldBear is working on the air conditioning.

90 here today with a heat index of 98. Like riding in a steam room. Rode 2.2 hours on my SS on the road with a friend. I ran out of fluid about 3 miles from my car; and I started with 44 ounces. Last steep grade, I could really feel the heat and I am fit. I got weighed at my doctor's office on Monday. 150, same as 2 years ago. I never weigh. I go by how I feel and how my clothes fit. I am not one to overeat anyway. Hey Banshee, did you get the sound system finished to their satisfaction? I bet you are very good at your craft. To all, have a great rest of the week. I feel I am about a week away from feeling 90% after my whammo two weeks ago. Don't bounce like I used to. Rats.

Rippin da fAt
    Howdy all,

OldBear, hope you feel better. That fatty likes a little love now and again!
    Glad to hear you are still chipping away at your weight!
    Chief, How you doing? Hope you feel better soon.

Robert,

Went in for the equalization today. After I was done the clients were blown away at the sound quality. With 7.2 surround, it is very immersive.
    Did you and your bike shake and make up?? Take your time and heal up...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    My bike and I are on good speaking terms.

Rippin da fAt
    Glad to hear, Robert. The heat index isn't treating you so well?!?!

Chief, how is your back? I know the feeling of back issues a wee bit too well. Hope you're feeling better. Fatty's are easier on the back, yeah, yeah, that's it!!!

How you doing OldBear? Get better so you can go play!

How's Efnfatty doing? How 'bout a ride report?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    No ride today. The heat and some other stuff,going on, told me to take the day off. Well, that and my sister's talk. she was right. I did some yoga and light weights. First Missed weekday ride in forever. I think I pushed to hard right after my fall. I hope to ride on Sunday. Everyone have a great weekend. I had my bars cut down on my fat bike and picked it up today. Also put a new white saddle on it. Looks good.

mtbr member
    Back is feeling a little better. Lots of core work being done, lots of stretching and ice after. Hamstrings are loosening up as are the hips. I still have a tweak as I get up but it's getting better. More work to be done. Gonna try some plank later to help with the recovery.
    Made a decision last night, once the back is better and I can ride I'm getting FAT.
    Hopefully sooner than later, going to try to get my Doc to give me a script for physical therapy to help with the recovery.

Wet and rainy here today, possible flooding tomorrow due to all the rain expected with some winds. Good day to hunker down with a book.

Hope everyone is well and riding.

mtbr member
    at least Chief had some pretty good news to share. As far as health and well being of my family, friends, and acquaintances, this has been a sucky week. Sucky was used instead of the other S word. Trying to keep it clean.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

I pissed my back off yesterday twisting and bending to get some wire through a remodel in progress... Felt some pain I thought was in the past. I have bike inflicted scoliosis from a high speed crash back in the late 80's. DH can do that to a fella.

Needless to say, glad to hear you're on the mend. Take your time and be patient, so you mend well and quickly. Yay, time to get fAt!!

Robert, Hope the bad week turns into a great weekend for you and your family. Hope you had a great B-day!
    How is the fatty now that it has no power steering?
    How's the riding?
    I have 31" bars cause I have callouses on my knuckles from dragging 'em.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Funny how these things pop up again after YEARS of no incidents. I'm taking it slow since my back seems to be in charge of the process. Calling the doc to get into a rehab program just to make sure. I'm seeing progress, of course once your feeling a lil better its not fast enough but I'm not going to rush it.

BansheeRune, sorry to hear about you back aggravation. Its all about your positioning as we both are VERY aware of. It lets you know right away when it's tender and kinda rules your movements.

Hoping everyone has a good week, the 4th is nearly on us and as a kid the 4th was telling me summer was nearly over and back to school was getting close. Now I don't take vacation until the kids are back in school. Things change but stay the same.

mtbr member
    Did 30 SS road miles today. 73 degrees and sunny but a lot of my ride was shaded and the temps were perfect. Gonna schedule some way past due tests I need to get out of the way. Just never wanted to take the time off. I am a stupid. Hope everyone heals up soon. Dang messed up board right now. and

Rippin da fAt
    Robert,

30 on the SS...Yay!
    Gonna ride the fatty over to my brother's for a visit and a raid on his kitchen. I'm certain there is something good in there that went without mention. Kinda an illegal search and seizure is gonna take place!

Where's the Bear???
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi All!

I haven't posted until today and i didn't want to stay away soooo long. Let's see, two rides to report on.

Yesterday I got out for three hours and it was good,until, that is I got behind a Chinese guy on the bike path and he decided to stop mid climb on a part that is not all that steep.But, he just grinned at me and said in his broken english, "I got you stopped". I was too winded to beat him up and he continued on to the top and I finally got there too. He then began the long coast down to the Mc'D's I was out of breath and my legs turned to rubber. So for the first time in a year I had to call someone to come get me.

Today's ride was much better. I went out and rode for three hours again and most of the time was spent in the dirt at Lion's Club. I put in about five laps just putsing around then I saw a friend and he and I did some 'speed' laps. Funny thing was i did okay. I didn't lose my legs or seem to run out of gears on the short climbs.

The funny thuing was on the way home Tom and I were really booking on that hill on the path and lo and behold there was that Chinese student! I had told Tom about him and he asked me if he was the one who did me dirt. I said yes and Tom just said follow my lead. I was feeling pretty fresh and so we aimed for him and he got this scared look on his face. At the last moment we went around him on the grass and said to him "Why'd ya stop?". He just looked real perplexed and threw down his "next" bicycle shaped object and stood there looking down at it. All I could think of was "Karma's a *****. ain't it"?

Tom and i are doing some repair on a couple of bikes that Friends brought over to the apartment. They don't have much money and the repairs are simple except for my friend Yusha's bike. His grandson took off the rear derailuer hanger and we Tom is going to manufacture a new one in his home machine shop. The other belongs to a friend from Iraq. He found it in the trash. I am just going to do a tune up on it and set it up for him. He saw my fat bike and was wondering where i got it....sale pitch time!

Soooo....How was everybodies day?

Until Tomorrow---------------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family-----Fred,Sue, And Sean

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you had a fun and payback ride.

I go to a GI doctor this afternoon. My diverticulitis has knocked me off the bike, for now. I know he will schedule a colonoscopy and go from there. Just want to get back to work and feel normal again. Wish me well. Now get out and ride like there is no tomorrow.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 06-30-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear's an ornery ol cuss!

Robert, get feeling better, my friend. Colonoscopy doesn't sound pleasant.

How's the Chief doin'?

Gotta do a service call in Aspen today. Should be able to hit the trail at some point for a cooler temperature ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Went for PT last evening. Therapist was impressed with my flexibility (been working my azz off to stretch everything out). Has me doing back bend stuff the other way for 2 days to see how it reacts.
    Was sore this morning, I'll get at it when I get home again.

mtbr member
    I am going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow so we can see what is going on. Feel better today but this time off from work and not being in some kind of routine sucks. Rode about an hour after my appt. yesterday. No riding today or tomorrow as I cannot eat solid food today, then the prep, and it's raining. Tomorrow is the procedure and no way after solid food fasting for almost 40 hours. Needed to have this done a long time ago. Wish me well on the results.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert, Hope all goes well with the plumber tomorrow. Get some rest and feel better, my friend.

Chief, now that you're all stretched out, how much time you suppose it's gonna take to get back on track? Yay! It's time to get fAt!!!

OldBear, how you doing today? hope you had a ride to medicate you!

My back is in order once again with a little heat applied. Thankfully I respond well to the heat. My thermostat's broken so I don't care for the ice treatment.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    2nd PT yesterday, they want me working on back extension excercises (bending back) vs flexion (bending forward).
    Dude had me show my normal back excercise routine. he started me on more extension excersises and put a slight hurting on me yesterday. Feeling pretty good today, so progress. Slow but sure.

Robert - hope the Roto-rooter goes well.

old bear - cool days rule, get out if you can.

Banshee - Glad to hear ur back is feeling better. Take it easy, we both know it's not fun.

If a GREAT 4th everyone. I'm feeling pretty good and may even try to sneak a ride in if I can.

mtbr member
    I've had a week off the fatty with a wretched summer cold/bronchitis. If I could sell snot I'd be wealthy.....

Heading back out to the Fort Custer trails today near Battle Creek. It'll be a slow ride; I'm toting clippers & a mini chainsaw to do some trail maintenance. I began volunteering for it this year and I've really enjoyed it. Gets me out of the racer mindset- I enjoy the woods more!

Health & blessings to all!

mtbr member
    Well the prep is awful. I don't remember the procedure. I got a clean bill of health. No polyps, no diverticulis, no nothing. Two hemorrhoids. First time I have had to deal with stuff like this. May try a shorter ride tomorrow after work. Hope all of you have a nice weekend. Enjoy each day you can ride. I love being able to bike.

Rippin da fAt
    Efn, while your fatty is never outta season. you are! Get well, my friend...
    Trail maintenance does a fellow good, indeed. My racer mindset went out the window after my heart attack.

Robert, good news came your way! Hope you are feeling better now that procedure is over. Take your time getting back in the groove.

Chief, glad to hear you're on the mend. The fatty's calling your name!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Been there, done that - and I agree: the prep is a beasty. Sitting on the thunder jug like an inverted volcano.

But at the (ahem...) end .... Have some bacon...

It improved my attitude immeasurably!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Efnfatty View Post
    Been there, done that - and I agree: the prep is a beasty. Sitting on the thunder jug like an inverted volcano.

But at the (ahem...) end .... Have some bacon...

It improved my attitude immeasurably!
    Yeah, that prep is called "Go Lightly". It should be named "Thunder Road".

mtbr member
    Hi everybody!

It's been a couple of days since I last posted so I thought I would do it tonight. I got a box from the guys at fat bike radio. Stickers, bottle opener and a nice Surly T shirt. Plus a Fat-bike.com button.

I went out for a ride yesterday and found the Lion's Club was having a $th of July fair. I managed to get through to the trailhead, but after all the rain we've had I wouldn't have tried it at all. So I took a paved road south out of town for seven miles and hit some gravel/dirt back roads and rode for about 14 miles then returned home. My Oxygen level stayed at 98% and my pulse mid ride was at 89bpm.

Today's ride was in St. James at the forest city trail system . It was a beautiful day with a high in the mid '80's. I forgot my Oxygen meter so I couldn't check at mid ride, but when I got home the Oxygen level was 97% and my pulse was at 70bpm.

Now Chief, when you gonna pull the trigger? I know you're recovering now but that fatty could help.

Robert: I had a colonoscopy done about a year ago. They did find some small things but they weren't cancerous. But I argree that liquid 'golightly' should be renamed to something more appropro---- like thuindershots. I did mine during the day and had a buddy make sure I drank all out it. yuck.

Banshee: My phone is out of order. I need a new one, maybe next month.

Lone Viking: I see you are posting keep it up!

efnfatty: I have had my bouts with summer colds and even pneumonia too. I am glad you are getting out to do some trailwork.

I m9ight be onery but I ain't to the point of sitting on my porch yelling at the neighbor kids, "Get offa my lawn, young whippersnappers"

HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE! AND HASPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!

Until later-------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Mama bear

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,
    Sounds like you are doing well on the rides. Good stats, indeed! Keep up the good work. How is your weight now? And how is Mrs. OldBear doing?

Today I did a short ride before going to our community park to hear the live music and see the fireworks. They shoot the fireworks from Heart Attack Hill overlooking the park and neighborhood. Good stuff. There were about 300 peeps attending the festivities.
    Tonites supper was applewood smoked prime rib, shrimp and fixin's to fuel the ride. *BURP* Damn, it was good! I'm purring!

Chief, you too busy riding a new fatty?? *Getting hopeful*

Be well, and hope everyone had a great and safe 4th!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hi Oldbear! Good to hear you're out and about again. You're pulse ox and heart rate numbers are great!

As you've no doubt seen, I've been out playing with 'baby fat' tires of 2.7". They work better for me on the steep climbs around here.

BansheeRune, wow---your supper makes me hungry!

Happy 4th to all.

mtbr member
    Hope Momma and Papa Bear have a nice day. Go ahead and yell at some kids. Makes it more fun for them.

Banshee, nice supper you cooked. No wonder you seemed so happy.

Chief, buy the bike already, if 'you haven't.

Now, I will check the radar to see what may be promising for today. It rained here most of the night.

local trails rider
    ... Go ahead and yell at some kids.
    Like in this race practice video?

https://www.facebook.com/athertonrac...3479810263653/

*** Loud Strong Language Warning ***

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Rippin da fAt
    Tires were too skinny!

Robert, my bikes prefer I use leaded premium...

OldBear, I could just see ya out there *GET OFF MY LAWN*, tho' you need the Torino in the garage to make it official!

Robert, we had a moderate rain hit about an hour before the fireworks display. Was refreshing.

Chief, how's your back treating you? hope you're feeling better...Where's the fat?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Bansheerune:

Yes I agree about that nice Torino and also a M-1 Garand to help make a point too..

Going out this afternoon. Gonna hit Lion's Club for a few laps then ride out to see my friend Matt and raid his fridge for a nice mid-ride Dr. Pepper cherry.

until later--------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Mama too.

Rippin da fAt
    I used to own an M1 Garand. Purchased it through Fulton Armory. Was a pleasure to fire.

Today's much better for a ride...Finally cooled down around here!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Got in a 40 mile gravel ride. Little over 3 hours. 85 degrees and very humid but so good to be out and riding. All of you have a great week.

mtbr member
    Hope everyone had a safe weekend! Visited good friends in northern MI for the holiday. Not bike peeps but they have mountain bikes for paved bike path duty when asshats like me attempt to coerce them into a ride. Which I ( natch...) did.

My bride had her 29er. My older daughter & I had our Farley 8s. Which we LOVE. Great ride! Did 12 miles of bikpath at which our beloved hosts' bums were toast. Great time, great fellowship! We were stopped twice with queries re: the fattys.... they seem to put smiles on everyone's face. Biggest is on mine - best bike EVER!
    Kevin
    "I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing..."

Rippin da fAt
    That's what fAt's all about!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I agree with best bike ever. Might sell a bike to get another one and if I do, selling the bike, will not be easy, for me.

mtbr member
    I was feeling pretty good ....... until Saturday. I had a set back. I did some yard work because I was feeling so good. I was going to try a ride Sunday but that got canceled. I had a PT treatment today and got it feeling a bit better. I did all the exercises and they put a Tens Unit on me with some ice. Being a lil better this evening . Seems like slow is the way I'm gonna end up going.
    Gonna wait to make sure I can ride before any purchases at this point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    By the way, to update those who have seen my earlier posts. In early March I weighed about 227 lbs, I am now down to 194 lbs. All biking, no forced change in diet. I feel great, like I am 28 instead of 38. Feasted on a dinner of steak and Caesar Salad tonight.

To be fair, I do ride my road bike a lot... but now that I have entered the WORS race at Cascade Mtn (near Portage WI) I will be training on the Fat bike for the next couple of weeks.
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis rigid
    2008 Yamaha WR250r http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
    By the way, to update those who have seen my earlier posts. In early March I weighed about 227 lbs, I am now down to 194 lbs. All biking, no forced change in diet. I feel great, like I am 28 instead of 38. Feasted on a dinner of steak and Caesar Salad tonight.

To be fair, I do ride my road bike a lot... but now that I have entered the WORS race at Cascade Mtn (near Portage WI) I will be training on the Fat bike for the next couple of weeks.
    I've found a lot of benefits from switching back and forth from road to fat bike. The fat bike really builds the legs, the roadie builds speed and technique.

Rippin da fAt
    Great job, Byron! Hope the fatty training goes well and you have a fun race!

Chief, I',m guilty of the same...get feeling better and go out and undo the healing. Gotta work your way up over time.

Oldbear's gonna be offline for a while. His neighbor that was sharing the net connection is moving. Prolly be a month or less. I will be forwarding text messages for him in the interim.

Robert, too bad the Vissago is too small for me! I'd grab it in a heart beat...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    no question there, switching from fat to roadie, gives the best result

mtbr member
    Hate to hear that Chief. Usually when I feel I am better from anything, I wait at least another day or three before testing the waters. I got in a good road ride last night and I wanted to ride the trail but felt it was too slick, for me, right now. Rode my SS 26.5 miles and averaged 15.6 mph. Not a really hot day but sticky. Now, all of you, stay healthy and enjoy each day in some form or fashion.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 07-10-2015 at 04:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Ya, I messed up. Tired but feeling pretty good today. I was up at a lil before 4am. Hate those early morning phone calls now. Never good news. F-I-L was experiencing some nasty chest pain and we went to the ER. He got admitted and was doing better before we left. Did my new back workout (very core oriented) watching the Tour. Got to work real late but I'm in. I'll do it again this evening and help myself get better.
    Keep up the good stuff all. I'm riding through all of you and the tube the next couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your F-I-L. I am about afraid to answer my phone anymore.

I got to ride 1.5 fat trail hours late afternoon and beat the rain. Felt so good to be in the woods on fatty again. She seemed to like it also. Taking my mom to the orthopedic doctor tomorrow afternoon. Will ride after that on the road. Already have my lights charged. Hope all of you have a good night's rest. It helps.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, how's your F-I-L doing? When I had my heart attack, I knew precisely what it was. Hope he didn't have one. Keep on the regimen with your back and take it slowly.

Robert, glad you rode today. Heavy rain set in today, so didn't make it out. Hope you have a fun night ride.

Yesterday I rode the Wolfsohn trails. There are many trails in a relatively small area by Glenwierd Springs. Temp was mid 80's. Good stuff!

Byron, can't say I have a pizza cutter these days, tho' I can break out the Stinger and piss off the roadies with it. 3" suspension @ 22#'s. It may just shoot out from under me next time I ride it cause I've been riding the fatty. Forgot how to ride 2.3's.
    good luck in the race.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    No heart attack on FIL. We visited last evening and he was up and around and looking good.

Slow and sure is how I'm proceeding.

mtbr member
    Rode my Fatty for 96.5 minutes yesterday. It is very hot and humid here this summer. More so than usual. Everyone have a nice weekend. Gonna be even hotter here the next 5 days. Beats being cold. I like all the seasons. Makes me appreciate the perfect weather days.

Rippin da fAt
    In proxy for the one, the only, the Bear himself

OldBear got out for an early morning ride. Humidity was high, O2 level stayed 97%. Poor guy sweated himself soakin'wet. With next weeks weather to be in the 90's the Bear will be hitting the trail earlier than usual to beat the heat...
    This concludes the Bear report for now!

I have caught the flu from a client that was gracious enough to import it from Kansas, Doh! It seems to be on it's way out now...gonna hit the trail tomorrow *hopeful*. My bike seems to believe I need spark plugs...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    FIL came home last Wednesday, doing well.

I've been doing really good the last 2 days. I was tempted yesterday and today but I was good.
    They added a few core exercises that seem to have really helped. Fingers crossed.
    Hopefully I get back on the bike this week sometime barring any set backs.

I hope everyone is doing OK. I hope your getting some rides in.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you FIL is okay. Hope all of you had a nice weekend. I got in a 4 hour fatty ride in the hottest conditions I can ever remember. Took it slow and easy. It was a great day in the woods.

Rippin da fAt
    Another Post by proxy for the Bear...

It's 2am in blessed morning, and I am sitting up getting ready for bed. I rode at 6am out to the Lion's Club Park and rode four laps. The humidity began to rise toward the end of lap four so I packed it and headed to the house. I stopped at a convience store and bout a bottle water and some chocolate milk, (whole milk not 2% chalk water) to have with my post ride snack. I was going to ride to Kroger's but it was an oven outside by that time. The test of the day was spent reading and watching the tube. I hate the humidity and heat combination. It keeps me off the monster and my weight creeps up. I try to do some easy exercises to keep loose, but, my weight seems to go up. When I ride daily the weight stays around 245. With three days off the fatty it shot back up to around 255. But since there's no rain in sight for the next seven days I expect to get back down to the 240-245 range. My stats for yesterday's rode are : starting blood pressure : 138/87. At the end of the ride : 139/87. My oxhuen level saltayed constant at 97%. Total mileage was 22.
    So there you have my fatty friends, We hope to get back on the web soon until LATER---------PEACE, LOVE, AND FATNESS. Oldbesr and family.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Chief Glad your FIL is doing well. AS for you, if you do get on your bike, it'll prolly do ya some good. Just don't head over to the dirt jumps quite yet!

Robert, didn't your bike come with AC? Crap, mine came with towing package brakes but no flippin AC...

I've been getting out on the trails lately. Weather has been in the mid to upper 80's with the afternoon rainstorm cooling it down for 10 minutes. Good stuff, tho' cause the trail gets the right moisture content for a Velcro ride. Gotta be careful because many times the cells come through with lightning flyin everywhere...

I will continue to forward OldBear's posts for him til he gets back on the interweb...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I can feel the heat and humidity that Fred is feeling. Hey, I just slow my rides down to average about 2 miles per hour slower than on a perfect day. It is just getting rides in and staying fit. No harder sessions at all. Glad you are getting out to ride Banshee. Hope Chief is back in the saddle soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Ok so it has been super humid and pretty hot too... weighed myself today and I am down another 4lbs, now at 191 vs 227 in March. That is a lot of weight for a guy at 38 that has not changed his diet in a forced sense. I want more veggies and junk food is no longer very appealing. But I am still a pretty dedicated beer drinker though. My legs are starting to look like "tree-trunks" again. I am training now for my first "intro" race on the 25th and have been hitting the hills hard and now cutting down on the beer (that is a bit more forced)

mtbr member
    Rehab today and got he OK to try a little bike riding. I may give it a shot tomorrow evening. Therapist said ride a few miles and see how it feels. I asked how far. 3 miles ..... total. Not sure that's gonna work but I will take it easy.
    Big smile comes with this news. Wish me luck.

Rippin da fAt
    Byron keep up the good work! Beer doesn't Make ya gain weight. I tried it years ago and went from 160 # to 160#. Good luck with the race. OldBear will be pleased to hear of your weight loss too.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, that's great news! Just give it a go and see how it works out. Hope you have a good ride without issues.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Byron, Great job on your weight! Hope your training gets you ready to conquer! I can tell that beer doesn't make you gain weight...I tried it years ago and went from 160# to 160#...Just sayin', cause I found it to be a wives tale! Best wishes on your race...

That humidity has to be difficult to deal with. It is rarely that humid here 'ceptin during monsoon season, which is now thru August. 60% tonite because of the 15 minute rain storm that passed around 7 pm.

Chief, hope you get out and give it a try. You should be good to go as long as your riding position is somewhat upright. Hope you are doing better soon.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hope everyone is feeling better. Had a 1.5 hour fatty ride yesterday. Still hot and humid so it's a slow go but it is better than a no go.

Rippin da fAt
    Another post by proxy for the Bear...Can't have the truancy officer after him now, can we...

Got out early to beat the heat, around 5:30am. Went over to Lion's Club park and put in 3 laps. It was cooler and we got to see the sunrise. :-) on the way home, I was feeling extremely fresh. I rode up some hills that usually had me in the easiest gearing in midrange. I felt like I did when I lived in Utah. My stats are as follows : heart rate-66. BP after ride was 123/76, oxygen level was 97%, Mileage 12 in the dirt and 3 on the road/bikepath. Right now at 3:19pm is 93 with a heat index over 100f. The humidity is HIGH! 85 plus. :-) I found another 'bike ' for my bikeless friend that is a Murray Grand Mesa. A student threw it out and it's going to be his 'bike ' until he can save enough for his fatty. I know what y'all are thinking, "friends don't let friends ride junk " , but it's free. :-) UNTIL LATER----------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS. Oldbear and family.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Glad to see that Oldbear is getting out. Thanks for the proxy update.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I think it's another facet to fat bikes & health:

mental health.

I'm actually looking forward to winter. I can't think of the last time in the past 14-15 years that I've actually been waiting for winter to come. Usually the only things I think about w/winter are more illnesses, cold, driving on crummy roads, not much daylight, etc.

But now I'm actually looking forward to it. I don't have a fat bike yet (plan to get one within the next 2 months) but I'm planning in my head what I'm going to do with it - what trails I'll ride on, what roads I think will be safe to go on. I'm looking at cold-weather clothing for biking. I'm actually excited!

I never went to the doc for this but I'm sure I suffered from some sort of seasonally-affected disorder. I just got depressed in the winter - just hated it.

Now granted I'm not looking forward to illnesses (I'm a mild germophobe) and road salt/snow driving, but at least I have something that will get me outside to have fun.

Rippin da fAt
    Surveyor,

Many peeps have the seasonal depression you mentioned. Mostly because of the fact that the summer toys are traditionally put away for the season. The fatty is a non seasonal friend. Place the order now so you can start playing with it and get it dialed in before the cold weather sets in. Then you can break it out without issue when winter is here.
    Fat bikes have a unique ability to reduce you to a giggly kid and forget your worries for the duration of a ride.

Welcome to the fAt side!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am looking forward to trying the fat bike out this winter as well. Being down 35 lbs now, snowboarding should also be far more enjoyable again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

2 pics

One is from x-mass the other is from May, and I have lost an additional 10lbs since

Fat Biking and health-x-mas.jpg

Fat Biking and health-hdlbrs.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice work Byron. I did a 4 hour fat ride yesterday on a local trail and it was pretty hot in the woods. I went through 100 ounces of fluids. It was a great ride. Today I rode with a friend for about an hour and 45 minutes on my single speed with a suspension fork. Been a month since I have ridden it. Had a blast. Still in the mid 90's and humid. Beats the heck out of snow and ice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Nice work Byron. I did a 4 hour fat ride yesterday on a local trail and it was pretty hot in the woods. I went through 100 ounces of fluids. It was a great ride. Today I rode with a friend for about an hour and 45 minutes on my single speed with a suspension fork. Been a month since I have ridden it. Had a blast. Still in the mid 90's and humid. Beats the heck out of snow and ice.
    Living in Wisconsin snow and ice are tangible realities we must endure every year, the key is how to deal with them.

Rippin da fAt
    You have no excuse...You have a fatty! Annddd, you're destructive, too! Great job on the weight loss. How is your training going?

Robert, good ride! hope you get some relief from the heat and humidity.

Got in a few miles with the fatty and spent some time on my trials bike. Damn that trials bike sure is fun.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Here's another post by the Bear by proxy...

Howdy all! Today was another hot HOT sauna day. The temp here hi 94f with a heat index of 107f. The humidity hit 100% at 7pm when a thunderstorm rolled in. Needless to say I didn't get in a ride. Tomorrow though temps are supposed yo be mod 80's so I will attempt to ride in the morning. I am hoping "altogether get a Gravity Deadeye Monster on the 31st. Sean and I are going to share it. I have been nursing a painful back and hip for most of the week. Thursday, I went to the ER, and as luck would have it, the only Doctor available was Dr. Quack. Once again he never did anything to treat me and never even did Drays.or even give me a script for any sort of pain meds. I reported him to the admin people. They said that they're going to pass it to the ER director, Dr. Kerr. Other than that not much else is happening.,
    Until Tomorrow --------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS. :OLDBEAR and clan
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My mountain bike has taken me on an adventure I never thought was possible. This spring is started riding roads at 290 Lbs, 6' tall. Rode here a couple times a week on the roads and lost 12 Lbs in a couple month span. Then I entered a Herbalife Total Body Transformation/Weight Loss challenge and used the mountain bike as my main tool. My 9 week goal was 35 LBS. The bike help me smash my goal and wind up 3rd place out of the LP of Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. I lost 43 LBS in that 9 week stretch. Not only has the bike help me become more healthy, it has become a new love. Right now I'm down a total of 63 lbs and counting. Have slowly moved from road/dirt road riding on to some single track. To celebrate my weight loss, today I brought home my first fatty! Framed Alaskan Alloy Carbon Fork Raceface X7 with Wolftooth. Took it from the shop to the single track got in 1/2 hr virgin quicky on my fatty before I had to return home.
    BEING FAT NEVER FELT SO GOOD!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by trob_205 View Post
    My mountain bike has taken me on an adventure I never thought was possible. This spring is started riding roads at 290 Lbs, 6' tall. Rode here a couple times a week on the roads and lost 12 Lbs in a couple month span. Then I entered a Herbalife Total Body Transformation/Weight Loss challenge and used the mountain bike as my main tool. My 9 week goal was 35 LBS. The bike help me smash my goal and wind up 3rd place out of the LP of Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. I lost 43 LBS in that 9 week stretch. Not only has the bike help me become more healthy, it has become a new love. Right now I'm down a total of 63 lbs and counting. Have slowly moved from road/dirt road riding on to some single track. To celebrate my weight loss, today I brought home my first fatty! Framed Alaskan Alloy Carbon Fork Raceface X7 with Wolftooth. Took it from the shop to the single track got in 1/2 hr virgin quicky on my fatty before I had to return home.
    BEING FAT NEVER FELT SO GOOD!!!!
    Dude that is awesome! Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Through biking I went from about 227 to about 191 lbs since March (5'9" tall)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Congrats byron & trob - great work!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
    Dude that is awesome! Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Through biking I went from about 227 to about 191 lbs since March (5'9" tall)
    Congrats to you man! That is great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's great to hear how bikes are helping people stay, or GET healthier!

We're all somewhat fanatical - hey we're all reading these forums aren't we? And there is great deal of positive reinforcement here!

Congrats to all who are doing' the right thing!

Rippin da fAt
    Trob, welcome to the fAt side!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    FAT BIKE=FIT FIGURE

who'da thunk it? lol

i have rode about 900 miles on my fatty since purchased, im down about ten lbs! after gaining 8-10 of beautiful muscle mass that i missed so dearly lol(been since high school)
    so right now ive broke even for weight loss/muscle gain but i feel tremendously better as of late

i have been having HUGE issues with my feet since ive recovered from a broken leg, (8inch metal plate on bone) some say its plantar faschitis, others says its because im fat (267 5'8'') others say diabetes...

but since riding fAt my foot issues have gotten a lil better, its the days i dont commute to work that put a strain on me LOL....

shouldnt be having any of these issues at 25 if you ask me....

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks everyone! 25 mile fat ride this Morning!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonguy1989 View Post
    FAT BIKE=FIT FIGURE

who'da thunk it? lol

i have rode about 900 miles on my fatty since purchased, im down about ten lbs! after gaining 8-10 of beautiful muscle mass that i missed so dearly lol(been since high school)
    so right now ive broke even for weight loss/muscle gain but i feel tremendously better as of late

i have been having HUGE issues with my feet since ive recovered from a broken leg, (8inch metal plate on bone) some say its plantar faschitis, others says its because im fat (267 5'8'') others say diabetes...

but since riding fAt my foot issues have gotten a lil better, its the days i dont commute to work that put a strain on me LOL....

shouldnt be having any of these issues at 25 if you ask me....
    The 8" plate is Ti, and your bike has given it the FB approval (kinda like UL, but different)...

Healthy tradeoff on the weight, fat for brawn is always good.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The 8" plate is Ti, and your bike has given it the FB approval (kinda like UL, but different)...

Healthy tradeoff on the weight, fat for brawn is always good.
    LOL, I knew i had ti somewhere, not on my bike though LOL

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I went 16 miles today at Devils Lake State Park (WI). Took a wrong turn and went down a hiking trail, descended about 550 vertical feet in a mile(gps has an altimeter), turned around and went back up to get back to the mtn bike trail. That was a tough climb. Had to rest here and there since it was at mile 11 that I took the wrong turn.

Rippin da fAt
    You'll just have to go jewelry shopping for bike parts😄
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Today's proxy post for the Bear...

Well, I stayed in. O was a lot more tired than I thought. Tomorrow's high is going to be 78f. So Oldbear is going to get some dirt time in. I think it will be the lion's club for six laps maybe more. UNTIL LATER--------PEACE-LOVE AND FAT NESS. Oldbear and family.......Fred, Sue, and Sean
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 07-21-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Its been a month since I've been able to ride. I am going crazy. Especially with the tour on the tube. Rode 3 miles one evening and had some soreness and stiffness issues and my back didn't seem to like. Back at the core work 2 - 3 times a day. Been feeling a little better after stretching and some motrin but it's slow going. Today was the best I've felt in a long time with only a twinge on my right side.
    Rehab again tomorrow.

I hope everyone is well.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

What is your riding position? You may have to change it up to resolve the problem. Hope you can start riding again soon, cause you need a fatty! Stay with the rehab and exercise regimen. Get well, my friend.

These days I ride more upright than slumped over. Makes a world of difference.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'll change what ever needs to happen to be able to ride once the back issue is resolved.

Rippin da fAt
    Glad you are on your way to riding again. How are you feeling? It sounds like you are getting results from the rehab and exercise regimen. Damn, I hope you can go get the fatty soon! Can't wait to hear of your adventures again.

I do find the fat softer tires do make a difference on my back. My fatty is set up very similar to my mountain bike. There is a noticeable difference after the ride with each one.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Time for the Bear Report...

Greetings all my fat tribe : got out today for a long long ride I rode out to Newbury and over to the microscopic town of Flat to see how much is left in the mobile home park where we used to live. Then I started back and explored some gravel / dirt roads back into town. In all I put in are 60 miles. There were three lowater crossings and a really long climb that I made it up. I got home at seven pm and started at nine am. A nice long day in the saddle. The temp were in the mid '70's and it only rained once. I had lunch at the Flat store and saw a lot of my neighbors. They all were filled with awe of what I was doing. When I was kicking around the M.H. Park I found my old Diamondback. I took it over to the store and left it there to pick it up Friday. The only thing missing on it is the saddle. It was in my storage shed. I will fix it up and either keep it or give it away to my friend Matt. It will be a shortest tomorrow. A few laps at Lion's Club Park. ..:-) ..Oh by the way, before I went on my trip, I had an 8am Dr.'s appointment and found that I am back down to 251. And my BP was 103/76.

So I will write more tomorrow. UNTIL LATER ----------PEACE-LOVE-AMD FATNESS. Oldbear and clan.......Fred, Sue and Sean.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice proxy report. Thanks Wade. I have been riding on the roads because we've had quite a bit of rain the past 2 or 3 days. Everyone have a nice weekend.

hikebike-bagpeak
    I get joint pain in my elbow and shoulder, but like they say: no pain no gain. That may be a big farce, but whatever, I love riding my fat bike up and down mountain trails!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-cimg1155.jpg  

Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com

Rippin da fAt
    Fatty,

You may need to try a different handlebar. The flat bars don't offer much position adjustment. Sounds like a bar position issue tho'. I had to fine tune the position of my bars to get the porridge just right.
    Those green rims look nice on the Framed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_0211.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_0217.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Handlebars

Fatty,

You may need to try a different handlebar. The flat bars don't offer much position adjustment. Sounds like a bar position issue tho'. I had to fine tune the position of my bars to get the porridge just right.
    Those green rims look nice on the Framed...
    I agree, switched to wide (780mm)with a short stem, way more comfortable. Even my dad agrees with the improved comfort and we never agree on things like this. Not a great pic but...

Name:  9sd2.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  30.5 KB

Rippin da fAt
    Power steering is essential on a fatty.
    I use the Loaded AMX because of the up and back sweep. It's not as much up sweep as a trials bar, but sure feels good
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_0220.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I'm going to have to find a riser bar upgrade for my wife's Farley 5. As long as I'm switching bars, might as well get a lighter one than stock. I'm open to suggestions - looking at the Enve bars but not sure I need to spend that much.

Oh, and most likely a swept back bar too, not just higher. She's the casual sort - not a strong rider.

Rippin da fAt
    I had to order the Loaded AMX direct from Loaded, cause the wholesaler didn't stock the full color selection. Yeah, my bike is in color, cause life is in color. Reasonable weight @ 31" wide with a 70 mm stem works out well

Got in a ride before work today. There's no better way to start the day than a fat session!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Today's bear report...the guy is keepin the rubber side down!

Hello y 'all. .....Greetings from beautiful downtown Rolla. Where currently the temp. Is 93 with a heat index of 104. The humidity is beyond. Belief. So needless to say all I could do is ride really early. I got out at 6:30 am and by 9am when I got back home it hit 82 with humidity of 75%. I was busy working my way up a hill on the singletrack when I spotted a fatty up ahead. I drew closer and it was a young man of above 50 on a Gravity Bullseye Monster like mine! We rode.to the top and stopped to chat. His name is Bill and he was looking for a new bike and just happened upon the bike direct site. He looked at our LBS, and couldn't afford a Trek so he bought from BD. We finished two more laps and exchanged cell numbers and are going to meet tomorrow at the park to ride again. By the way he has the same cardiologist and he said Doc. suggested he take up a healthy exercise routine. Lol UNTIL TOMORROW -----PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS. oldbear and clan Don't forget your sunscreen!

There you have it folks, right from the Bear himself!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattirefreak View Post
    I get joint pain in my elbow and shoulder, but like they say: no pain no gain. That may be a big farce, but whatever, I love riding my fat bike up and down mountain trails!!!
    Ergon Grips are much nicer to my hands and arms.

Rippin da fAt
    Hey, Robert!

How you doing? Hope you get a reprieve from the heat soon.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Here is the latest installment from the Bear...

greetings all. It was so hot today I didn't dare go outside. The temp was 94f with a heat index well above 100f . I did get out early to ride the Lion's Club trail. By eight thirty it was humid and approaching 86f. So we packed it in. Here's. A thought or question if you will. Are 26x3 tires still considered Fat? I am seriously thinking of thinking of getting a Gravity Deadeye single speed in September. Pleasegive me your input. Mama has lost another 45 lbs. She needs to lose another 25 and then they'll consider her a candidate for surgery. Everybody keep mama in your thoughts.

UNTIL TOMORROW --------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS. Oldbear and clan.....Fred, Sue and Sean :-) Oldbear sez: USE YOUr SUNSCREEN. :-)
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,
    26x3.0 is 26+... I'm running a pair of Knard 26x3.0's on my dirt couch. With a fs they work well cause I'm not reliant on tire suspension.

Glad to hear Mrs. OldBear is losing the weight needed for the surgery to take place. She will be feeling better overall after trimming down as well.

Where the hell is the Viking?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Got to Chattanooga to ride Raccoon Mountain. It has eroded something awful. Used to see lots of riders there. Hardly any today. It got in the 90's again but I think the trails have gotten to where they are so technical all over that not as many people want to ride there. Fatty did well but I had to walk some sections where the penalty was a lot more than it used to be. May not ride there for a long time but I got in a little over 38 miles today. I am a glutton for punishment and it was a 2 hour drive there and back so I was going to make it worth the drive. I soaked through my shoes again with sweat. I don't mind technical some but the root exposure was unreal. Was way back on my saddle on a lot of the descents and working my butt off on every climb. Not complaining. 3200 feet of climbing total and all on single track except for the road the last 2.5 miles when my hands said please no more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    OldBear,
    26x3.0 is 26+... I'm running a pair of Knard 26x3.0's on my dirt couch. With a fs they work well cause I'm not reliant on tire suspension.

Glad to hear Mrs. OldBear is losing the weight needed for the surgery to take place. She will be feeling better overall after trimming down as well.

Where the hell is the Viking?
    I'm out here, just not on Big Bertha. It's been a hell of a month. I have a problem where my blood clots many times faster than usual and if I throw a clot it's usually after doing something strenous. One month ago I had put 2.7" Nevgals on the fatty and went for a test ride. Two days later i had a clot in my left quad. I couldn't ride (heck, barely walk) for a week. After a week I was out on the hybrid peddling slowly along, testing things.

In that week off the bike, I didn't need to use my Toyota Tundra, so one of our 'kids' (extended family sort of thing) borrowed the truck to get tires for his car. Coming out of the tire place there's a big sign that's hard to see past. He missed a mini-van that t-boned the truck and totaled it. He was sore and bruised up, but otherwise OK. So, the next week (week 3 if you're counting) I was truck hunting for another Tundra. The one that was wrecked, when totaled, had just under 300,000 miles on it and was running fine. We got more for it totaled than what we paid for it five years ago! So, I found another Tundra, a 2007, 4wd so I could get up to the trails I like.

This last week, on my day off it was appointments, errands, and picking up the 'new' truck. This week I may finally get back up on the dirt for another trial of the Nevgals.

In the meantime, I've been riding, just on the hybrid. I find switching between the two helps everything. The fatty increases leg strength, and the long miles I put in on the hybrid help with endurance and cardiovascular conditioning.

Good to hear Mrs Oldbear is dropping the weight. That can be a tough thing to do. Keep on pedaling!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Got to Chattanooga to ride Raccoon Mountain. It has eroded something awful. Used to see lots of riders there. Hardly any today. It got in the 90's again but I think the trails have gotten to where they are so technical all over that not as many people want to ride there. Fatty did well but I had to walk some sections where the penalty was a lot more than it used to be. May not ride there for a long time but I got in a little over 38 miles today. I am a glutton for punishment and it was a 2 hour drive there and back so I was going to make it worth the drive. I soaked through my shoes again with sweat. I don't mind technical some but the root exposure was unreal. Was way back on my saddle on a lot of the descents and working my butt off on every climb. Not complaining. 3200 feet of climbing total and all on single track except for the road the last 2.5 miles when my hands said please no more.
    38 miles and 3200 feet of climbing on a fatty?!! Just bury me on the side of the trail, I'd never make it off the mountain.

Rippin da fAt
    loneviking,

hope you get that blood issue under control. A blood clot is what caused my heart attack. Fortunate that there were no injuries in that wreck. Glad it's all sorted tho'.
    Nothing like a little excitement in your life!
    Get the fatty out and take it easy, you're not in a race...or are you?

Robert,

That's one hell of a ride! Good job! I used to love the techy trails, but since the heart attack I've gotten outta that mode. I do enjoy the flowing trails much more. Last time I was in Fruita on a ride, I wished I had my trials bike through a few stretches of the ride!
    Glad you are getting out for the excursion adventures! Sounds like a good time...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hey, Robert!

How you doing? Hope you get a reprieve from the heat soon.
    No heat reprieve but who cares. Gave fatty a rest day and rode my SS on the local trail and it was hot but the trail was perfect. Rode 1.5 hours and after yesterday's 4 hour and 45 minute root and rock fest that was all I needed. Keeping the thread toward the top.

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast