Fat Biking and health - Page 44- Mtbr.com
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 8,601 to 8,752 of 8752
    roots, rocks, rhythm
    Hope you are feeling better Oldbear!
    Just remember: a frown is only a smile upside down!

Banshee- nice ride!
    A nice clean looking stead.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G- your SBG looks great. With one or two pics the head tube angle makes it look a bit like my old Schwinn phantom after the Springer fork collapsed. No seriously g, it looks super. Keep on making your pics. Btw, what is the geometry of the head tube and seat tube?
    Thanks, Oldbear.

The Seat Tube Angle is 73°, the Headtube Angle is 68.56°. Full specs on the Salsa Beargrease frame set is available on the Salsa website at https://salsacycles.com/bikes/beargr...rbon_x01_eagle
    Scroll down and click on the Geometry tab: you'll get everything with an illustrated diagram.

It really is a superb thing to ride, fully fettled now.

---
    I put in a nice 17 mile run around the loop yesterday, stopped on the Guadalupe River Trail for a moment and ordered a lunch sandwich from Panera, stopped there and picked it up, and had lunch in my favorite spot on the memorial bench in Japan town.

I'd picked up my Impossible I-1 camera for the ride ... It has Bluetooth and connects with an app on the iPhone so I can fire the shutter remotely and with a timed delay. So I figured I could make a self portrait of me and SBG in front of the art store mural while I was there.

After I finished that and my half-sandwich, I headed on down through the loop into San Jose. A red light at 4th and Santa Clara Ave stopped me for a minute, and looking at City Hall I thought you folks might like to see it. No time to pull out the I-1, so I snapped this with the iPhone using the "Shake-It Photo" Polaroid emulation app...

It does a passable job!

Anyway, from there I scooted back up through the Trail again to Hedding, turned West instead of East, and blasted home for a shower and cup of coffee. A fine day, a nice ride. Can't wait for the cafes to reopen, there really aren't a lot of places that are nice to just stop and sit a moment in the meantime.

onwards! G

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Thanks, Oldbear.

The Seat Tube Angle is 73°, the Headtube Angle is 68.56°. Full specs on the Salsa Beargrease frame set is available on the Salsa website at https://salsacycles.com/bikes/beargr...rbon_x01_eagle
    Scroll down and click on the Geometry tab: you'll get everything with an illustrated diagram.

It really is a superb thing to ride, fully fettled now.

---
    I put in a nice 17 mile run around the loop yesterday, stopped on the Guadalupe River Trail for a moment and ordered a lunch sandwich from Panera, stopped there and picked it up, and had lunch in my favorite spot on the memorial bench in Japan town.

I'd picked up my Impossible I-1 camera for the ride ... It has Bluetooth and connects with an app on the iPhone so I can fire the shutter remotely and with a timed delay. So I figured I could make a self portrait of me and SBG in front of the art store mural while I was there.

After I finished that and my half-sandwich, I headed on down through the loop into San Jose. A red light at 4th and Santa Clara Ave stopped me for a minute, and looking at City Hall I thought you folks might like to see it. No time to pull out the I-1, so I snapped this with the iPhone using the "Shake-It Photo" Polaroid emulation app...

It does a passable job!

Anyway, from there I scooted back up through the Trail again to Hedding, turned West instead of East, and blasted home for a shower and cup of coffee. A fine day, a nice ride. Can't wait for the cafes to reopen, there really aren't a lot of places that are nice to just stop and sit a moment in the meantime.

onwards! G
    Thanks g for the info. My GBEM headtube angle is a y ouch steeper at 71° and seat tube at 73°.

Until later
    (Gotta ride gotta ride)
    Oldbear
    :thumbsup:Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Wade, nothing like that in my yard...... Although during my ride at the lake there is a bee hive maintained by a gentleman that I stopped and spoke with one evening last fall.

OZ, get the hose out, get rid of some of that mud.

Old Bear so sorry to hear you had some issues missing Momma Bear. It's understood. Depression is a tough one to get through. Hang in there buddy.

G, great ride report. Still quiet here, more vehicles and people out and about.

Working back from the tweaked back. I rode a few miles yesterday looking for a house key my wife thought she dropped while walking. It was all slow and look, we found it near the house. I rode today, felt good, good weather, heated and stretched this evening. Working through it.
    Rain the next 2 days, so we'll see if I can sneak out between the rain drops.

No Memorial Day festivities this year. I plan to ride to all the memorial spots that I normally go to. I'll say the Pledge of Allegiance, sing the Star Spangled Banner, say a pray for all those that have passed. They will be remembered.

mtbr member
    I missed a few days this week, I was working to rehab my lower back. When I feel better and doing well I get away from the hard rehab exercises. I start to reduce the number of times a week I do the harder work. I'm back on it and will try not to get to lackadaisical ....... until I feel good again.

I got out yesterday before the rain .... that didn't come until late and I was sitting enjoying my backyard after the ride. I rode into our business district, it's a few blocks. I picked up a gift certificate for my sister and brother-in-law they are celebrating 50 years of marriage. Quite a feat these days.
    I continued out of the parking area and turned down towards the river and Maple Beach. It's a large undeveloped area towards the Burlington - Bristol Bridge. The access is closed from my town and it has been a mess. Overgrown bushes and weeds out of the guardrail blocking vehicle access, glass broken everywhere on a bridge that crosses a small creek running to the river. Well to my surprise someone had cleaned the area. I usually walk or carry my bike across the small bridge due to all the glass there wasn't much at all. I noticed a few homeless in tents in the area, maybe they did it.
    I pedal on and the old road to access the our towns sewer plant is no longer in use and is becoming part of the environment again. It floods with heavy rains and run-off into the lakes that overflow it's banks. I've taken my wife back here in those conditions and she wasn't happy LOL. I still hear about the thigh deep water we had to wade through.
    The road to a few houses left along the river.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f4b.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f4c.jpg

I stopped down the 2nd pick at the bridge when I heard the siren to signal the bridge was going up.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f4d.jpg

From here is a heavily used roadway Route 413 that allows traffic to and from NJ. I made time while the bridge was up. No traffic going my way. Lots of vehicles in park waiting for the bridge to go down. Funny, lots of windows open, lots of smiles at me and the Fuse... a few questions, is there an accident?, what's going on up there. Those that have been before those are the 2 reasons for the delays.
    This loop the BBB added 3 miles to the start of my ride. It's slow back there due to the ruts in the gravel and roadway. Cruising along 413 and into the R&H parking lot to get away from traffic. I ride this a few times a year but 413 is dangerous and I limit my exposure. Usually early Sunday mornings is a good time.
    Out the the hospital that is across from Silver Lake and through a sketchy development. I ride into the parking lot of an old high school and onto the community college annex. There are vehicles lined up and and ambulance there. WTH
    There's a small box truck at the area all these vehicles are heading. I ride over and there is a young lady there (in mask). I ask what's going on. It's a mobile food bank. People in need, a lot of them now come and get food. It's usually for the needy but that's a lot more right now. Pretty cool. I thank the girl waiting for the big trucks to arrive and head into he woods behind the CC. Onto Silver Lake trail system, down the power line and over to the Township Municipal building. A few deer spotted along the ride so far too. I caught this woodpecker working on telephone pole. I think it was a pleated woodpecker, beautiful, red head, black, gray and white body.
    From the TWP bldg it's into the the rest of Silver Lake trails, more people and wildlife. Around the lake and out into another sketchy development. There is a food truck that in healthier days I would have stopped at for a drink and snack. But during this I limit my exposure. Through the cluster F that is the Bristol entrance to the PA Turnpike. It's under reconstruction and a mess all the time. Through the intersection at Green Lane and Rt 13. Then down the canal into town, I swing by the garden near the canal. A friend is there working on her plot with her little grand daughter. I dropped plant bulbs off to her yesterday for her 2 daughters. Good so see Donna out working on her plot. I swing through town and beat the rain home. The bike needs a wash, maybe today.
    15.62 miles in 95 riding minutes avg speed was slow 9.9 mph. I was out on the bike 130 minutes. Good ride.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f4e.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Cooking all our meals at home is getting annoying, I'm not used to doing that. I usually eat four breakfasts, two lunches, and three-four dinners at home, take the rest of my meals out while on rides, with friends, with my partner. I also don't have an enormous imagination as a chef, it's just time consuming beyond the reflex to figure what to make. Sigh.

I like my coffee made in the Bialetti stove-top espresso maker, it's getting used a lot. So I need a pound of coffee ground for espresso machines every two weeks or so. I needed a pound of coffee yesterday. I take it as matter of principle to always cycle to the coffee roaster and buy my coffee there, freshly roasted and ground.

Dana Street Roasting Company is in Mountain View, a block off the main drag, about 7-8 miles away. It's a nice if slightly boring ride there the direct way, following alongside the Caltrain tracks almost all the way. Level a good bit of the way, the land starts to gently rise about three miles away and gets a little steeper a mile past that, but it's never much.

A coterie of friends and I in normal times meet at the roaster's cafe every Thursday morning for coffee and breakfast. We know the owner and all of the folks on the staff. I miss them, they're good folks. We have a lot of fun joking about when I get there. Several of the other regulars are also our friends, one of whom I've been in conversation with quite a lot. He's a little older than I and suffers greatly from advanced arthritis. Nothing to be done other than treat for the pain and laugh about it, we talk about art and photography, politics, and Life.

It was about 68-70°F when I left the condo, but the breeze made it just a little cooler than I expected and I hadn't brought an over-jersey with me. Eh, I'll just be chilly until I warm up on the bike. So I pushed a little harder and warmed up within a mile. The way there was simple and quiet, traffic light.

David had said he'd meet me there so we could chat for a few moments; I got a msg that he'd arrived when I was still a couple of miles away, nearing Sunnyvale Station. I replied with my present location, "Just sit tight and enjoy your coffee. I'll be there soon." I pushed even a little harder from there on and make excellent time. Locked the bike up on the rack in front of the shop, got my coffee and an Americano, and stepped across the street to David's car. I took the back seat on the passenger side, he sat at the steering wheel, and we passed an hour's chat while I ate my lunch and enjoyed my coffee. It was very good to see him and enjoy our shared pleasure in each other's art/photography works.

I've been shooting various things, with various odd cameras and such, and one series I've been doing has been with an unusual film called "Washi-120 W". It's basically Japanese washi rice paper tissue which has been coated with a thin emulsion and spooled for a 120 medium format camera. Great stuff ... quirky and difficult to expose, tricky to expose, etc but I love how it captures light.

Stair and Doors - Santa Clara 2020

I made that while on a walk about my neighborhood using a 30-40 year old Fuji camera. At the full resolution photo, you can see the paper fibers that have become enmeshed with the photosensitive emulsion and make up every little bit of the image. It's really fun stuff if you're my kind of geeky photo head.

After we were done, I thought about the ride back and wanted to take a different route. There's a short section of Steven's Creek/Canyon Trail that I can pick up near the coffee roaster ... Taken north bound, it runs you out past Moffet Field and NASA Ames Research Center but I didn't want to go that way yesterday; it would be too cool. Taken south, it runs along the canyon/creek track alongside Hwy 85, wiggles up, down, and through a fun set of highway and local street junction ramps (gotta take the RYLO camera through there and record that ride some time, it's neat!), continues alongside 85 on the western side, then scoots over the highway through a pedestrian bridge and drops you into some lovely suburban neighborhoods. From there I have a path that winds through a bunch more neighborhood streets eastwards and plops me home.

The weather had warmed a little, the breeze less. There were a lot of cyclists and walkers on the trail for a period, then the fun through the highway interchange ramps. I dropped into the suburban neighborhoods and turned the wrong way. Oops! Went back the other way and found my path—enjoyed a good blast home from there down the maze of streets.

A fine cycling day, a nice visit with a friend, Life is good if a trifle weird now and then.
    Be well, stay sane, keep on going!

G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, another page passes by on the Bear Channel.

G, you have one fine camera collection, and you are putting them to good use with some interesting images. The weather looks nice in your part of the world too.

Chief, thats a nice looking trail to roll down.

As for myself no riding this weekend as the weather has not been agreeable, a East Coast low formed and the wind and rain pushing in of the ocean has made staying inside the sensible option.

I do hope to pick up my CrossCheck from my L.B.S this week as it been in for a month waiting on the new parts and for the shop to have time to build it. Like most bike shops around they have been run off their feet with new bike sales and people trying to get old bikes up and running to see out this Covid lockdown.

The shop owner offered me a job as bike mechanic last week, he is so busy and he must be desperate too. I said yes to the offer as long as he does not mind people coming back angry that their handle bars fell off or that their brakes did not work I will stick to driving for a living and leave the wrenching to those that know what they are doing.

Anyway enjoy your Sunday...

OZ.

mtbr member
    Out early this morning as my normal on Memorial Day. I usually ride to the ceremony in Harriman section of town where I grew up. As I rode towards the area I cut over the river and I see this airplane (not a full size) flying over the 4 story building where I'm headed. It doesn't look right. Then I realized it was a miniature plane. I got around back and discovered these guys. Pretty cool.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f60.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f61.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f62.jpg

Then up past my niece's house and to see what they put out for their son who graduated hight school this year.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f63.jpg

Then on the the memorial, the formal ceremony was canceled but there were some individuals that showed up. We said the Pledge of Allegiance, I sang the Star Spangled Banner and said a prayer.

Fat Biking and health-7flgn28dso2it3mfrfmzmg.jpg

We finished there and I went to St. Marks.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f65.jpg

Then St. James.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f66.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f67.jpg

Then the Bristol cemetery.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f6c.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f6a.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f6d.jpg

Then home, clean up and head to grab buns for our cookout today.

Enjoy the day, remember those that came before us. Have a great day everyone.

Rippin da fAt
    To all that served, are serving and those that fell in the line of service as well as those standing, prayers and gratitude... God bless each and every one of you.

Sunspot had a day of singletrack mayhem! The trails are busy today but we did find a stretch that was fairly quiet and had some speed runs through the curves with some good speed going on. Bryton said average speed through the curvy, banked curves was 20. Not too shabby! I did have to pay attention with the speed being front and center on this outing. We were trying to establish the maximum speed without overwhelming the trail. Several runs and Sunspot needs a bath.
    For this ride, I chose to change Sunspot's shoes. Swapped out the Nobby Nic 3.0's for the Rocket Ron 3.0's to give them a test on the hard packed surface. It was a good choice afterall. Air pressure at 9.5 front and rear seemed to be the magic number to eliminate drift. While it sounds rather low, there was no noticeable squirm but traction and carrying a line was quite nice. Zero harshness that a rock hard tire offers!
    The ride begins with a solid climb to the start of the curvy, amazing descent. No shortage of grunt work to get to the good stuff. The descent does a good amount of effort in controlling the bike and loading for proper traction and handling. Yay, speed runs!!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo! Hope all you 'Muricans had a good Memorial Day weekend. It was pretty quiet around here: a few careful gatherings here and there, mostly people sticking to the survival necessities and staying home for the present. There were of course the big bunch that ran to the beaches ... Whether foolish from a health perspective or not, us Big Pink Ugly Monkeys really do not like to be apart from Others Like Us; can't blame them for the urge which is built into our genes, but it means take extra care for a week and some when in public.

The good news is that I've *finally* fitted and tested the bicycle rack I bought for my car. It works well, a 25 mile surface street and highway test run went fine and showed no damage to either bicycle or car.

So I'm all set for tomorrow's outing: Heading to San Francisco where a friend and I will ride a circuit around and through the city on the still-mostly-empty streets, and maybe across Golden Gate Bridge in the process. I think this unusual opportunity will disappear in another week, so now's the time!

---
    Rides continue, near every day, and it's pretty much the same every day too. Yesterday was a hot one ... 95°F when I arrived in Japan Town ... so I'm going at it carefully when the heat's on like that. Plenty of water, a good bit of snack food on board, etc, stop and rest when I feel stressed. I'm about to suit up and do todays ride...

Onwards, always onwards!

mtbr member
    Finally a break in the weather coincided with time in my schedule to ride outside. I rode along The Maumee River again. On the North Fork of the River splitting around Audubon Islands there is a small boat club. The heavy rains flooded and broke apart the docks. They were out removing/repairing the docks as I rode on the road above. They managed to remove the upstream dock already.
    Fat Biking and health-a5a2d170-02e8-4ab7-b2b0-76781f03226f.jpg
    The club members do their own work. It is a pretty nice spot but every now and then Mother Nature reminds everyone who is in charge of the River.
    Fat Biking and health-648825d4-0813-454b-8c8d-239a53a248c6.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-84d09e66-b545-4180-afdb-90e94d3fee59.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-c0be4af2-d9a7-4e27-9a6c-b54cd578b574.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    So. Yesterday was pretty darned special.

I managed to get the car loaded and fueled, and was on my way to San Francisco with the bike on the rack by 10:00am. No problems on the way up, but dang! Them big wheels make the bike do a jitterbug on the rack in the wind at 65mph! Perfectly secure nonetheless, no damage to either car or bike.

I arrived at my friends' home on Church Street and there was The Perfect Parking Spot right in front of the foyer. Wow! How often does that happen? It only took a few minutes from that point to unloaded, changed into bike gear, and on the road. And then we took off on The Ride ...

The two options were to do a counter-clockwise run north to GG Park, west through the park to the ocean, a run down southwards along Ocean Beach, turning eastwards in the vicinity of Daly City and then back up to home... OR do a clockwise run going northwards, up and over the Presidio hump to Golden Gate Bridge, maybe across the bridge and back, then down into the flatlands at the eastern periphery of the city by the wharves, nipping westward once past the ball park back to home.

Since yesterday was the anniversary of the Golden Gate Bridge opening in 1937, we decided to celebrate it with the latter run:

Linda's a great guide and a massive amount of fun to ride and talk with. We wriggled north, up and around through the streets. You can see on the map the little east-bound spike where we turned the wrong way and had to back track. Most of that section up to there was gentle uphills, a couple slightly steeper moments. But once we were oriented towards the Presidio and on the right road, Linda pulled over.

"You might want to consider a drink of water. The next section is a bit steep." Hah!

And then the climb up into the Presidio began. I'm in my bottom gear cranking along at 78-85 cadence, about 3 mph, and slowly crawling my way up that incline and around those bends. That's the longest single stretch I've had to use bottom gear to date! Fun and exhilarating!

We get to the juncture at the top of the hill and Linda suggests that I should take the dirt path on the cliff side ... her roadie's tires are too narrow for that ... and what a set of views that affords! I'd fitted my RYLO 360 camera to the handlebar and had it running most of the way through, so I'll pull some of them out eventually.

The key moment for me was the fast downhill once we crested the hill and the run up and over the bridge. Fast downhill on dirt, yeah: SBG was in its element and just plunged on through without a single moment of feeling unstable or off its pace. It did that part absolutely perfectly!

And then we were at the approach to the bridge.

Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco, 27 May 2020

Click the photo above to take a 14 minute ride across the bridge with us (YouTube link)...

Absolutely cool time going across and back. While over on the Marin Headlands viewing area, we rested, I ate a half-sandwich and some water, and just had a great time goofing around.

Back across, we wiggled our way through the Marina district, enjoyed site seeing, and marveled at the general lack of traffic. This will not be like this for long!

As we passed the Bay Bridge and came up to China Grade and the Stadium, Linda and took the nice way around the back of the stadium and then down through the surface streets (mostly closed to traffic) and back to her place. Change back to street clothes, load the car, and off home. I did a better job of loading the car this time and the bike moved a little less on the road, but eh? It's gonna move around, as long as there no damage and it stays where it's supposed to be reasonably well, I'm happy.

A truly wonderful day and ride ... My many thanks to Linda for hosting and guiding the way.

Onwards! G

mtbr member
    texmex, great report and pictures to go along with it.

G, that's a bucket list ride. You get to cross the GG. Very cool. I've been to see it and Alcatraz way back in 1980 on my way to Hawaii.

Being home and looking for things to do. I loaded up the bike rack and placed the Fuse on the rack. As I bent to tighten the strap on the back tire I noticed a spoke was out of align. I took a look and it was broken. Damn. I was going to drive to Yardley and ride to New Hope and then back to my Jeep. I'd get in 20+ miles. I called my LBS and go the machine; that ain't right.... They have changed their hours and are no longer taking drops-offs. Ut oh. Hours are now noon to 6pm. 2 week turn around on repairs. Holy crap. I drove up, stopped at a nursery to pick up some vinca for the front of the house; they did very well there last year. I drove to the shop, parked along the side and went in. Mike the owner was there with 3 customers in the store and one outside without a mask. I explain what is up and he asked me to leave the bike. Damn. Can I ride the bike? Sure where are you going? I explain, he recommended I didn't ... just in case it's more. I drop off the bike and head home to ride the Crosstrail. It was warm and breezy. I got in 10 in the sun.
    Mike called me today, he replaced the spoke and mentioned the rim had a hairline crack in it. He put it in for a warranty claim. Hopefully it's awarded and I get the new rim. I'll let you know.

Today was really humid and looked like rain all day. I got my Medicare worked out and will sign up for that tomorrow. It's supposed to storm tomorrow so I'll be close to home to stay safe. They are calling for thunderstorms.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Good luck with the warranty, and hope you get the bike back soon. At least up by me it is prime riding weather now.

mtbr member
    Ram, That is awesome. The only time I have seen the GG bridge was flying in from HK with a layover in SF. I would like to go there someday. SO many places, so little time.

Chief, good luck on the warranty.

My son is having a small family get together this weekend for his HS graduation. So probably no rides this weekend. Rain is in the forecast for this afternoon. Looks like next week will be the soonest. I picked up an 11 speed wide range groupset to put on the bike and my old 10 speed will go on my son's Frankenbike. I have the frame sanded down. I just need to clean it off and get the paint. We finished the graphics for the head tube and the downtube.

mtbr member
    Texmex, congratulations to your son on his graduation. My great nephew is graduating this year too. It will be one to be remembered.

I got out yesterday to beat the storms that never came. Man it was humid. I took the Fuse for an easy ride. I also too a collapsable saw for trees with me. I wanted to clear the trail head to the Silver Lake park trail that I ride. To get to the trail head I go through a community college parking lot. This is were I found the traveling food bank last week. It was there again today and a truck had just unloaded to pallets of boxes and it looked like they were waiting for more. I got over by the trail head to cut branches and took the picture. I didn't want to piss anyone off.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f74.jpg

The line of cars, the pallets are in the bottom left of the pic.

As I came out of the woods and onto the power line there was a County Ranger checking there area. I was glad to see him and waved. They have been having issues with 4 wheelers tearing top the trails and I hope the Rangers are in the area more.

I stopped a few times during the ride, once to talk with a friend near the river. I hadn't spoken with Pat in a few years. It was good to catch up with him. We used to live on the same street, I moved out and he got divorced. Good man and person.

Then as I was riding on the SL trail nearer to the lake and I saw a couple walking their dog. It was the present fire chief for my town. He's also my ex-deputy chief. Herb is a good guy, well educated and great fire marshal / 2nd in command guy. Not an aggressive chief at all. We fit well together, he was a valuable resource to me. He kept me on an even keel. He'd tell me if I was going to do something that we'd have a tough time recovering from.

The ride was good....... HUMID. I don't usually wear gloves, but I needed them today. The sweat was rolling and my hands were sliding. They went in the bag after the ride.

Stay safe and healthy.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief gets a steam clean! Any word on the wheel?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    tex: Congrats to your son on his HS graduation! I'm glad he's getting the chance to celebrate with family at least.

There have been some heartbreaking stories of youngsters around here who were set to graduate this Spring and have been bitterly disappointed about not being able to celebrate the event with their friends and family, for some the first high school graduate from their family ever. It rips me up to think of all these young people who've just had this huge rock dropped on the path in front of them, a rock that will not move easily and will divert them from the path they wanted to follow for some time to come, if not possibly forever. It is a bitter moment for many of them. I feel for them as if they were my own. They need support, empathy, and understanding from all of us older folks.

---
    After the great day's ride on Wednesday, I took Thursday as my day off and went for a long walk instead.

Yesterday, I went out for a ride around 2pm. It was a little gusty/windy as I departed. "Ah, it's nothing," I said to myself. Well, it was something. I pounded the pedals hard against the wind and was treated to an eye stinging treat of pollen and dust blowing everywhere. The wind was moving me on the bike around a lot too. When it got behind me, it sped me along like I had sails on.

I muscled through it, did a 14 mile run around my loop with a stop to pick up lunch and eat it too. I remember coming home, down the long straight stretch of Hedding between the highway and the railroad bridge, the wind was pointed straight at me: I was up into gear 5 or 6, pedaling furiously to just keep going at 6 mph. Home, washed out my eyes, and had a cup of coffee.

Hopefully it'll be none of that today.

Onwards! G

mtbr member
    My son has been a champ through this whole thing. I asked him how he felt about it he said “It kind of sucks, but in the past guys my age were getting drafted and sent to war. There have been bigger problems.”

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I like your son, tex. Great attitude. Sounds like a cool young man.

---
    The weather was too weird yesterday ... kept floating between windy, want to rain, a little sunny, a light light drizzle, etc. I went for a three mile fast walk instead, and listened to my book.

Onwards! G

Rippin da fAt
    Tex, your son can teach many how to go with the flow! He's the smart one in the grand scheme of things...

G, I have been caught in some fairly nasty storms that crop up out of nowhere, lightning, thunder, pouring cloudburst rain, high wind. If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes rings true at 6500' elevation in the mountains! By the time I can find a place to shelter, I'm soaked through. Mid summer, it can be welcome to cool down. As soon as the sky clears, it dries up and so does a soakin wet fatbiker.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I got an email from the bike shop. The wheel is out of warranty. The warranty was for 2 years, I purchased the bike in 2016. They did discount a wheel and shipped it. Waiting for it to arrive and get switched out.

We rode today..... Oh what a day. Sunny, clouds, breezy and cool so nice. I was going to take the wife up the river and ride home for about a 15 mile ride. But with the protests going on in Trenton they were concerned with it spilling over into Morrisville and people were asked to stay away from the area. No need to add to it so we stayed home and rode around town.

Stay safe everyone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    CHIEF: Well, at least they gave you a break on the price. That's not bad for a warranty two years gone.

Wade: I got caught in rain twice last year. It's not the end of the world, it's just a bit of a pain because of all the grit and crud the bike collects from the road and the amount of time it takes to clean it off. When not being ridden, my bike is parked in my living room so I need to clean it if it's gotten covered with crud or the crud ends up all over the room. That's the major reason why I don't generally go out if I think it's going to shower on me.

---
    Today's ride was like many others: Around the loop, stop in Japan town and buy a cup of coffee, sit on the memorial bench and have my sandwich and coffee. It was a cool-ish day and my left knee was being a little tetchy for some reason, so I was took it easy and had a nice ride. Arrived home, showered, took an Advil and a nap.

Onwards, always onwards!

G

Rippin da fAt
    Good on em to discount on an out of warranty issue. Speaks volumes for SpecialEd.

Spokes have arrived for the midfat wheel build to commence. Locating a 157mm rear hub in orange has been a chore, to say the least. JensonUSA had one left at a very reasonable price so snagged it. The spokes were a challenge in the length needed but managed to get my hooks on a box of DT Swiss Competition double butted shiny, silver, visible spokes to make a custmary, shimmering wheelset come to be. At the moment, I am torn as to keeping the rims black or doing away with the black for the mirror polish like Sarge I and Aisan have. Sarge II is starting to take some shape in the form of a bicycle of the midfat kind. This build is bringing fat and fuel economy into the same bike.

So far, the decisions made on the V3 known as Sarge II are as follows:

RSD Sergeant V3 frame
    RSD rigid 510mm aluminum fork with anything bosses
    Wheels:
    AlexRims Blizzerk 70 (27.5 x 70 i64)
    Hope Pro4 hubs Boost front, Superboost rear
    DT Competition double butted stainless, silver spokes
    DT alloy nipples in green with a few blues thrown in for good measure
    Tires
    45Nrth Van Helga 27.5 x 4.0 (pair)
    Maxxis FBR 27.5 x 3.8 (pair)
    Drivetrain: 30t with 36-11 cassette
    Sram GX 10 speed with type II short cage RD
    RaceFace Turbine crankset/BB
    Chainring from the bin, cause I have a few of em as new spares
    Pedals Transition Bike Co. from the bin...
    Bar/Stem
    To be snagged from the bin. Endgame will be Straitline Amp stem with FSA Gradient bar for the trialsy sweetness of upsweep!
    Grips ODI Rogue
    Seat/seatpost
    Ritchey Classic with Serfas Cosmos or vintage Flite from the bin That old skewl Flite has been on a couple bikes over the years, leather covering in excellent condition, so a little luxury style might be in order.

As it appears, the bin runneth ovuh! For the moment...
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    CHIEF: Well, at least they gave you a break on the price. That's not bad for a warranty two years gone.

Wade: I got caught in rain twice last year. It's not the end of the world, it's just a bit of a pain because of all the grit and crud the bike collects from the road and the amount of time it takes to clean it off. When not being ridden, my bike is parked in my living room so I need to clean it if it's gotten covered with crud or the crud ends up all over the room. That's the major reason why I don't generally go out if I think it's going to shower on me.

---
    Today's ride was like many others: Around the loop, stop in Japan town and buy a cup of coffee, sit on the memorial bench and have my sandwich and coffee. It was a cool-ish day and my left knee was being a little tetchy for some reason, so I was took it easy and had a nice ride. Arrived home, showered, took an Advil and a nap.

Onwards, always onwards!

G
    G, Sunspot is sitting next to me watching TV! He wipes his feet at the door before he comes in, like a good bike would... If he's a mess that a simple wipedown doesn't have the capacity to take care of, he's gettin a hosin' cause the garden hose is within 10' of the front door. Usually there is some trail dust to deal with and that is dandy, road grime is usually sandy and rinses right off without effort or drama, lest we were dirtin and he became a bike of mud. I really do not do mud, it destroys 1k forks in a heartbeat, not to mention other overpriced components.

The knee, you can have both of mine. I'll warn you tho', they are 30+ years bone on bone, thus junk!
    A piece of advice, when the knee is not happy, gear down and spin with a lighter load. It does make a day and night difference.
    Been there for over three decades.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Took a short spin around Oak Openings yesterday. They are having a trail work day next weekend. I am happy that the work day’s are getting back on the schedule after all this COVID crap. Fat Biking and health-6c17e507-4ebc-4699-8313-21d4985de811.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Now you have a keen idea of my main reason for living rural... House arrest has hit the mass density areas very aggressively and screwed too many people rith into chapter 7.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Drove up to Chelsea and rode the DTE Foundation Trail again. It is such a fun trail that it never gets old and it was in perfect shape yesterday. I went with my daughter, she is getting to be a good rider.
    Fat Biking and health-5f54540b-ce36-452f-827e-d69dc1bf8948.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-7afe402b-26a8-47c0-8746-590596ad1393.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    After the ride to the Golden Gate Bridge last Wednesday, Linda handed me an unused water bottle cage when she saw me fishing my water bottle out of my backpack. I took the opportunity to fit it, and the B-RAD pump bag, to SBG yesterday. The Lezyne HV pump *just* fits in it, which is fine because it only comes out once in a while when needed ... at least now the pump will be protected from the elements. The two items fit nicely in the frame triangle, look good, and are out of the way.

I have a new, stronger and more pick resistant cycle lock on the way, one of the Kryptonite models. I'll be looking for one more small bag to snug it onto the frame's top tube so I can finally stop carrying a backpack everywhere I go. It gets tiresome to carry a backpack all the time around here due to Summer's heat, and I don't really like panniers much, they make the bike feel annoyingly wide.

---
    Ride ...

I didn't get out for a ride until late yesterday, too many other things to do. And I was thinking about the protests and crowds in downtown SJ as well, last thing I need to do is get swept up in that business when I'm on a bicycle ride. So I decided on a short ride, just a little 7 mile loop around the western side of my usual loop.

As I rode towards downtown and stopped at a light, another guy walking his dog was waiting for the light too. Four Police helicopters passed overhead. The other guy turned to me and remarked, "Choppers all day long. What the heck is the world coming to?"

I could not find words to say to express my sadness and anger. I rode on, did my short loop, and returned home to meditate.

Onwards! G

mtbr member
    First of ....... Happy Birthday to the thread originator Old Bear. I hope you had a great day.

I've been out the last 2 days with my daughters she's been furloughed this week and is bored stupid so we've been riding together. Nice time, a relaxed ride and we get to talk. We're looking to head up the canal for a few miles. I'm looking forward to it. We have to keep an eye on the disturbance scene, Trenton had had issues and we'll be close plus they have threatened to walk across the bridges into Morrisville PA and that's a concern because it hasn't been peaceful. Philly is a mess too.
    I hope everyone stays safe.

On the rim warranty, I'm happy with the replacement. I have to stop by the bike shop so we know if the existing cassette works with the new wheel since they are using a different drive train now.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, you may have to use the old wheel's cassette driver on the new wheel. Hopefully they are interchangeable.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Chief, you may have to use the old wheel's cassette driver on the new wheel. Hopefully they are interchangeable.
    That's what we're hoping and will be checking today. But we still need the wheel to arrive to make sure. You know how this stuff is. It doesn't fit until it does.
    Heading out soon, going to he a hot and HUMID one today. Taking my daughter again today on her birthday. I'll get a few pic's to share.

mtbr member
    We drove to Yardley got on our bikes and headed up the canal. We rode to the Bowman's Hill and the cemetery area there. So quiet and beautiful, we walked the grave site there for the unknown soldiers of the Revolutionary War.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f78.jpg

We had a drink and answered and answered a text from my wife. There was a fire going on in Croydon. We listened as we sat and drank some water.

Attachment 1338481

I grabbed a painted rock that a friend paints and leaves at a lot of sites.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f79.jpg

My daughter Casey and her 36th birthday.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f7a.jpg

We headed back and stopped at one spot for a turtle sunning hotel.

Fat Biking and health-zt9hk9ctvss7ko-6fnnuw.jpg

As we got closer to Yardley the darker it got off to the west. I stopped at my bike shop and checked in so he could check the cassette for the new rim. The cassette will work on the new rim. Good news, less $.

We got in the Jeep just as it started to drizzle and then rain. The bikes needed a rinsing and they got power washed on the ride home. Strong winds and heavy rain. There was a tree down across south Rt 13 just before the Penn Valley exit.

A good ride, 16.67 miles, in 90 minutes, avg speed 11.1 mph. Be safe out there.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, best to bag the handlebars under those conditions! Rain and speed are a recipe for destruction of the master cylinders on your bikes. It can drive rain right past the seals and into the brake hydraulics. An expensive "power wash" is what that becomes. Can be potentially dangerous if the brakes fail unexpectedly while you're cruising along at a good speed.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Looks like summer has arrived. Ride reports are coming in, it would be good to hear from some of our new riders too

I installed 11 speed on the Alaskan. I found a cheap groupset from Box, I am not sure if it will perform very well, but for the price I figured I would roll the dice. I went for a ride today, I think it needs a little more tuning so I will defer on reviewing the parts for a while. But the weather was perfect and the route was flat so I just kept going. 19 miles.
    Fat Biking and health-9596ac9c-ee98-4784-b96c-00563db0af6e.jpg

I started logging my food again. Working from home has made me careless about what I’ve been eating. But it also motivates me to make sure I at least get in a short butter burner ride every day.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought we'd outrun it to home but got caught in it for a few minutes about half way home. I had to stop to navigate around a downed tree on the highway. I checked it out last evening after things dried out. My Cateye red light was blinking all night until this morning. Hopefully that dries out enough to recharge and use.

Texmex, funny but I've dropped 14 lbs since being home. Not a lot has changed, rides have been the same. I'm moving more during the day at home versus being in a chair at a computer all day at work. Less soda and more water while at home versus work though.

I'm bored and looking for things to do while home too.

Lots of riding in my future it looks like until things open up and clients start to do project work again.

mtbr member
    More shots from yesterday
    Fat Biking and health-9c06cdb2-0835-4146-b20f-37be995c1773.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-0cfad787-51a6-4656-9eac-e204b08da33b.jpgFat Biking and health-74bd9b26-1796-40b5-9eb5-eb72e6dfbd8e.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've tested my bike and its accessories in pretty heavy showers, thus far it's stood up well to it. But riding in the rain intentionally I avoid anyway since it is dangerous due to limited visibility: not only can I not see as well, automobile drivers can't see me as well. And THEY can't stop as well either. Never mind that the first bit of rain mixes with the detritus on the streets and can become slippery and that the grit and other crud that gets flung up by the tires gets everywhere and has to be cleaned... LOL! Not my idea of a good time on a bike.

I've managed to hold to my fitness/exercise regimen through the lockdown, but i'm not getting the full body workout that lifting at the gym provides; I miss that. I have an exercise set that I can do at home but it's just not the same. I look forward to when I can return to the gym, do my workouts, see my buddy there. I miss him too.

Being at home and not being at work, finding ways to not be bored, was something I went through when I retired. I got lucky, I guess, because I *always* have more that I want to do than I have time to get to—I'm very self driven. I love getting into my photography, movies, reading, walks, studying and researching things, building models, designing stuff, etc etc. I have an insatiable curiosity that does me well when it comes to combatting boredom. And I've even learned to accept that when I need to just do nothing, that's all right too. Sitting and thinking, or taking a nap, is a fine use of free time as it turns out.

---
    I didn't ride yesterday. It was due to be a day off anyway, but I felt the urge to go out about lunch time. I took one look at the external thermometer and gave it up: it was 97°F and climbing. A little heat spike rolled through, I think it topped at 101° for a short time, and I decided to give it a pass and go for a walk after it cooled down some. It was back down to about 91° around 4:00pm so I went for a three mile walk. And then a buddy who had a second hip replacement two weeks ago called, I check with the building management, and I invited him over to use the pool. Easy to maintain social distancing there for two people, and the chlorine in the water will kill germs and virii nicely too; it was really nice to get some swimming exercise!

Onwards we go... G

mtbr member
    The light blinked all night long. I came down this morning and it was still blinking. I threw it against the floor, blinking stopped. I took it outside and let it heat in the 90 degree day. Works like a charm now. Not sure which solution worked but it's good to go now.

A warm one today. I took the Crosstrail out with my daughter again. I have a shadow this week while she's off. It's good to get to spend some time with her since it was her birthday and I have been missing not being able to spend much time together since the pandemic.
    During our ride we noticed the local PD Chief walking the route of the BLM walk and protest scheduled for 10am Saturday. Seems they are bringing in reinforcements just in case. Yardley was having one this evening.

We did a loop around the outskirts of town. 10.5 miles it was

Sunny & hot (90°); 54:01 min., 11.57 avg.

mtbr member
    Ood morning y'all!

I got out for an hour this morning to beat the heat n humidity. It went well and I enjoyed being able to pedal along and see a few mocking birds and the usual doves. (Not flying rats called pigeons)

Not much going on other than the usual stuff. I did spend the weekend with my daughter her girlfriend and my three adopted grandkids. They drove down from Missouri and we hit the beach Sunday. Sean and David went with Beth n crew over to Pensacola to the beach there. David got burned as did Sean. I stayed inside as my hands were hurting quite a bit. Monday was David's BD, Tuesday was my 68th and Wednesday was Beth's 36th. So we were pretty tuckered out when they pulled out Tuesday morning.
    Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    G'Morning!

Yesterday, I looked at the temperature about 11:30 and it seemed about 86°F ... Warm and dry and sunny, yay! Time for a ride. At that temperature, I pulled on an exercise tank top rather than usual cycle shirt (cooler and I'm trying to roast in my upper arms a little bit to get rid of my 'farmer's tan' just for the heck of it, and off I went.

In motion, the heat seemed less significant. Traffic was light, but it's been getting a bit heavier in the past week. I'd arranged with a friend to meet at the memorial in Japan town for lunch so I had to stop for a sandwich. Running a little late, I took a slightly shorter route and made up five minutes time, picked up my sandwich, and arrived only 8 minutes behind schedule. My buddy was four minutes more behind schedule so he never knew the difference. Sitting at the appropriate distance on the memorial bench, we had a good chat and enjoyed watching some of the people and their kids re-surfacing on the streets in the neighborhood there.

It was hotter as we finished up and I started back, hotter enough that I checked the weather with the phone. Woof! Temps touch about 101°F for a short few moments! I took it easy and just made my way back on my chosen path, enjoying the heat in a way without stressing my body too much. I was dripping when I arrived home ...

As an aside, I ordered a new, heavy duty lock for SBG and it had arrived the previous evening. One of the Kryptonite chain locks with an excellent lock mechanism, fairly pick resistant, and about as strong a set of links as you can get in the size. I like it a lot ... But it's almost five and a half pounds to carry, and too bulky. Sigh. It goes back: I honestly don't want it on my back, and what to carry it in, and where, on the bicycle is too much of an issue. I've settled on using a lock I already had ... the Abus Granite Bordo X-6500 link lock, about 4lbs ... because it folds up tidily compact and its case bolts nicely to the top-tube on SBG. I might also consider swapping its position with that of the tire pump case—the tire pump weighs nothing by comparison—but I have to test whether I can get the lock in and out of the case in that position.. So many things to work out with this stuff!

I stripped off my cycle gear and tossed it directly into the washing machine with whatever other clothes I had in the basket, jumped into a nice cooling shower, and sipped an ice coffee. A nice 17 miler day. Should be cooler today.

Onwards, always onwards! G

mtbr member
    I had a bad day today........ Out for a ride with my daughter on my Crosstrail. I felt good. We rode north and I wanted to ride some bridges for some work. Over the first bridge, no issues. Out Edgely Rd I warned my daughter there's a long incline and we turn and continue up at the intersection. I was doing well, made the turn and continued. I didn't recover as quickly as usual. I slowed and continued. It took a lot longer than normal to recover. I was wondering what the heck was going on. It took a bit an we headed down the slight hill. We pass the school and it slopes more and I usually run hard down this incline to the next bridge. I wasn't feeling right, a cramp in my left hamstring. I stopped to stretch and drink. As I stood up right from stretching I got very dizzy.

( I've been having this issue for a week or so lately. I've dropped some weight and my BP meds have my pressure way down. I usually run 130/ 80 ..... it's been at 90 / 60's. That's very low for me. I check it every couple of days. It's been happening out in the garden too.)

So when I could continue on we did. The next hill bothered me too. I wasn't having any chest pain or discomfort. We went on, near town I got dizzy again and stopped. I nearly blacked out here. I took us off the busy street into a section. I laid down to help recover and it did help. I got on the bike and we made it home. As we got closer to home I was feeling better. As always.

We got into the house drank some more water and got changed. I took my BP (89 / 58).... way to low. I waited a bit and took it again. It was a better, but still low. I called the cardiologist, got to his voicemail and left a message.

He called back just before 4pm, We spoke. He's reducing 2 of my BP meds and I have to call him next week to let him know how I'm doing. I think this will help and glad I called. I have a scheduled appointment mid month and I hope I can get in to see him and I'm doing better.

I'll reduce miles until this is figured out.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Oof, CHIEF! Yes, be careful! Those numbers are too low. Your 130/80 is about my average too and seem fine, but under 100 over under 70 ...? I'm glad you called your cardiologist.

Just back from my ride. Temps today are 25°F lower than yesterday, and the wind is up. So it was a pleasant, cool ride, down the quicker way to Japan town so I could catch a cup of coffee at Roy's, lunch on the memorial bench.

Oh yes: the Abus Bordo X-6500 lock. The top tube is the only place it fits well, so I left it there and was thinking about it when I was riding today. I think it actually improves the stability a little bit in the wind having that additional couple of pounds high up and forward.

I stopped on the way home and tested that it worked on these difficult to fit bike racks along The Alameda in San Jose:

Works just fine, although it is a snug fit. Other racks are easier since most don't have that name plate in the middle of the hoop.

Of course, I couldn't help but take another beauty shot at that point:

It's a pretty bike, to my eye. Subtle, not blingy like the Fatboy was...

A fine 14 miler!

Onwards! G

mtbr member
    G, the bike looks great. Not flashy, it's solid looking.

Yeah I knew I was having issues every now and then but the last week or 2 since I dropped the weight it's been pretty prevalent when I bend. Yesterday was the first time it ever bothered me while riding. I'll take it easy today with a ride with my wife just around town later today.

They are having a BLM march through our little town today. Lots of businesses are boarded up. It could get interesting if individuals that want to start trouble come in. We'll see how it goes. I'm hoping it goes well and there is no destruction.

Up and out to check the yard the humidity is 97% and the dew point is 70 degrees.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hi brethren!

Attachment 1334611

Stay safe, y'all!
    Until Later
    Oldbear
    Santy Clutz with the summer doo! Looks like he could use a ride, don'tcha think?
    Fred, keep the posts coming, brother!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks, CHIEF! SBG is a joy!

BLM ... I started to say a simple thing and seven paragraphs later I realized I was in a rant and I was crying and angry. This is not a simple thing. What it is like to live a marginalized existence, to have to hide, to fear; to have to think twice every time you step outside your door? I'm gay: I can't change what I am any more than a black person can change what he or she is. I can relate to the pain, to the anger, to the sense of disenfranchisement and oppression. I hate seeing the rioting and the violence, I wish that it didn't happen, but I know the reasons, the emotions, and can empathize if not sympathize.

I hope we can all come together and change the world, do what the ideals upon which the constitution of the United States is founded say and make ALL lives matter, ALL persons equal under the law, and to each other. Will it happen in my lifetime? I can only hope for that. It is so hard. I sit at the memorial in Japan town most days this past couple of months and meditate on exactly these thoughts, these ideas. On purpose, so that I continue to hope.

the humidity is 97% and the dew point is 70 degrees...
    Humidity like that would give me trouble without needing any other provocation...! Yikes!

---
    Saturday Morning Ride

For the first time since March 17, the Saturday Morning Ride and Breakfast with the Boyz resumed! The day broke cool and delightful, with light, high overcast, temps around 63°F. Over-jersey and gloves for the ride down were called for, and it was really nice to pound along at speed. I've done this ride so many times now it just flashes by in a moment, really, but I try to mentally slow down and observe, experience every moment of it anyway.

Regardless, the time flashed by and I was in the park. I noticed that there'd been a fire in the area right by the entrance where I usual come into the park off of Hedding. An old favorite tree has been damaged by the fire and looks sad. Hmm, have to go back there and make another photo. I hope it survives.

The boyz showed up on time, and I set off again, this time up to the northern part of the park at the edge of San Jose airport, then back, past the meetup point, and to the Panera where we meet. I stopped on the trail and used their app to pre-order my breakfast.

The Panera cafe that we breakfast at is reopening and following the guidelines, with take out and open-air patio tables available. All protocols to help reduce transmission of COVID-19 are in place ... face masks when you go inside, no more than 25 people at a given time in the patio area, seats and tables spaced apart appropriately to stay safe. And even with all these restrictions, it is a delight to see my friends again, in person, and have our usual banter and conversation.

I arrive, say hi to the couple or two folks sitting outdoors that I know. I used the new link lock to secure the bicycle to a rack while I was there, my breakfast was brought out, and the usual banter and mayhem commenced as another friend arrived and told his story of how he returned home from the South Pacific seas after the lockdown began. The rest of the gang arrived a little later, and we had a merry (and properly socially distant) time.

Afterwards, back on the bike, I did my usual run back up through the park, off on Hedding, east to Japan town and thence through downtown San Jose, back onto Park Avenue, and home to Santa Clara. For the second half of the ride, gloves and over-jersey all went into the backpack as temps were now in the low 70*F range: perfect riding weather.

The day's tally was 17.5 miles at an average speed of 12.3 mph; a lovely ride. The link lock works great, and sits very nicely on the top tube. SBG works perfectly and feels great. Life is good.

"And so it begins anew." All things come and all things go, the interruption posed by COVID-19, by the days of tumult and the foolishness of government, they will all pass once more.

Onwards! Always onwards! G

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.
    I have my fingers seriously crossed for the upcoming cold season. I'm really hoping that the resurgence isn't too much.

Rippin da fAt
    It sure is a sad thing that there is only tolerance for one batch of lives and all the others are marginalized. I was admonished for pointing that out on another forum where the slimeball moderator claimed it was thinly veiled, I replied with what about Asian, Hispanic, Eropean and other regions that people come from. Pathetic!

I spend quite a bit of my time being of service, hanging out with and riding with many different folks of various descents. I don't see skin color, I see my friends, my community members and future friends. We have a good thing going on and demand to keep it that way, come hell or high water.

Just remember, the genuine people do not follow such divisive activists, they are above that!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I rode down a path through the Guadalupe River Park yesterday I hadn't in some time. It's an area that, a week ago, suffered a grass fire. One tree there I have come to know through many seasons and consider a friend.

It's suffered in the grass fire. I was greatly saddened to see this personality filled creature hurt so badly, but happy that it was still standing. I went back to capture a photo for my records.

Blackened - San Jose 2020

This living thing, suffering a serious collision with a local environmental catastrophe, seems a metaphor for our human world today. I can only hope that both survive and flourish once again.

Onwards, only onwards. G

Rippin da fAt
    G, that one is a real disappointment in the loss of such a unique landmark. Let us hope for its recovery.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    What type of tree is that?

I have no idea, there is nothing like that by me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I don't know either! It is just a cool, curiously anthropomorphic creature.

Another windy day here; I don't know yet whether it's worth suiting up to do battle with it out there.

G

Rippin da fAt
    G, I had a service call to go on today that per the corporate handbook required I take a bike with. When I stopped at the filling station, the windstorm hit in full fury. A steady 60 MPH wind began and held speed for 10 minutes straight. I could not open the damn car door due to the force of the stinkin wind!

Later in the day, I was able to get Sunspot out and play with him. Wind was still present, mildly with gusts from time to time.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Now that's wind, Wade! None of this little wimpy stuff...

I suited up and went out for a short ride. There was a lot of gusty wind, I just didn't feel like battling it for a long ride but for 8-9 miles it was a good spin.

On the way back, I noticed that the best ice cream store in the area—Rocko's Ice Cream Tacos—has re-opened now for take out and outdoor eating. Had to stop ... good people, excellent "their own recipe" ice cream. I had a split child's cup of banana cream and vegan dark chocolate: Delicious!

While there, a nice guy with his two young boys pulled up on their bicycles. It was a kick seeing the little guy (must have been 7 or 8) absolutely getting into his ice cream and enjoying the heck out of it. Dad was cool, the older boy (about 10 I think) was all excited about some television program he wanted Dad to see. Dad looked at me and rolled his eyes, the boy didn't even notice and just went on and on as youngsters do.

I laughed all the way home. All's right with the universe when young boys are young boys, and long suffering parents can't help but get a smile on their face as the kiddies get earnest.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little less windy and I'll take a ride to Mountain View to buy coffee.

Onwards! G

Rippin da fAt
    G, I'm just thankful that I don't experience that kind of windstorm often.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I had a pretty good weekend. I spent Saturday morning volunteering on a trail maintenance day with Toledo Metroparks. It was a nice group of people all pitching in and the staff from the Metropark joined us. We focused on armoring soft spots. Sunday afternoon we had a small family gathering for my son's graduation and then Sunday Evening I went for a ride on the same trails. The weather was beautiful all weekend. Back to work on Monday I am still thinking about the weekend.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0670.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0672.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0673.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0677.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good stuff, Tex!

Weather today is beautiful. Time for a ride! Suiting up...

G

mtbr member
    2 gorgeous days here in the east. Temp's in the 80's very low humidity a lil breeze oh what a day. I've been doing loops around town and doing OK. BP is up a little but nothing crazy, better than the low and getting dizzy.
    I'm bored being off.
    Good news, the BLM march was a success and non-violent ... a great thing.

Texmex, great job on the trails.

Out today and enjoyed riding by myself again. The turtles were out sunning today.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f80.jpg

There were more but some bailed as I stopped for the pic. There were a few full floating logs today.

I sat in the backyard and watched all the birds hitting the birdbath we have out. One robin took full advantage.

Fat Biking and health-35ozuzvmr2agf2tcydypxq.jpg

I sat for a bit and heard a fire siren, I switched my phone to fire scan and listened. A confirmed fire a few blocks away. I grabbed my keys and went to see if I could help.
    The house was well involved in the back, fire venting from the first floor rear .... 2 windows and a door and the back exterior of the row. I helped the first engine establish a water supply. Helped the crew pull a few lines and get set up. As the chief was on the porch and getting his mask on the fire flashed over out the front door. The chief got under the fire and fell backwards off the porch and laid on the sidewalk. I checked him and tried to help him up. He's a BIG young guy and he laid there a while. The line was laying there and another ex-FF grabbed the nozzle and we pushed the fire back into the house. The next crew arrived and we turned the line over to properly dressed firefighters and backed away. It was fun to be in the game again. I saw a lot of old friends and got to wave a say hi.

Fat Biking and health-img_2522.jpg

That's me with the gray sleeveless shirt and shorts.

Be well everyone.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good job, CHIEF!

I've been retired long enough now that not having "regular work" to do doesn't seem odd any more. I'm always busy anyway.

I did a nice long ride today, about 24 miles worth. From home to Mtn View, to Cupertino, and back. Weather was beautiful, only a bit windy at the end.

I stopped in Cupertino to rest and chat with the guys at Trail Head Cyclery. New young guy working the counter there today ... must be a summer job, he's all of maybe 17yo. He was falling all over himself going gaga about my bike. The two regular guys I know there were giggling about him ... they've known me a while and know my bike well. His enthusiasm was so fun.

Famished when I arrived home, had a bowl of soup. Ah. I should have eaten the nuts I had in my bag but forgot: too into the ride.

Onwards. G

Rippin da fAt
    Leave it to Chief to show up to an incident with an umbrella drink in one hand and lending a hand with the other!

Seriously, Good on ya, Chief...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Leave it to Chief to show up to an incident with an umbrella drink in one hand and lending a hand with the other!

Seriously, Good on ya, Chief...

LOL. Thank you Wade. I was looking for a drink too.

I ran into the Boro Chief that I worked under...... he was in town visiting grandkids and heard the call and we got to talk. My ex-Deputy Chief and lot of friends in the fire service. It was fun to get involved again, but I have no interest in going back. I don't think we'd be compatible now. I've changed but not that much.

I did receive one of the best compliments I've ever gotten yesterday. The Chief I worked for pulled me aside and whispered in my ear...... "You were the best interior firefighter I ever saw, remember that you were the best.". It took me by surprise. I told him, I did OK. My FIL was the best I ever saw and I trained a few of my guys that I would take a back seat to now. But it was a hell of a compliment and I appreciated it.

Good ride today. You could feel the humidity building here all day. The sun was warm and heating the roadways. My wife was struggling after her ride when she got home.

I ran into a bit of storm damage from last week. I headed to Maple Beach and got stopped by a tree across the path. No way around it so I turned around and heading back the way I came.

Out at the lake this tree went down from the storm too.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f81.jpg

And I stopped to watch this guy fish a little.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f83.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    You're welcome, Chief!

All in clean fun, as always.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It's going to be a warm humid one today so I got out early. I took it easy and I forgot gloves, the sweat rolling down my arms onto my hands slipping off the handlebars. I have to stick a pair in my bag. I checked mid ride where I took the picture.

Wade, a gentleman has a beehive in the Nature Park / trails I ride.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f84.jpg

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

mtbr member
    I drove to the trailhead yesterday, unloaded my bike, hopped on and then heard Thunder. No rain was predicted but the warm humid weather led to a pop up Thunderstorm. I looked at the radar from my phone and guessed it would pass West of the trail, so I rode anyway. The gamble paid off. There are severe storms on the docket this afternoon, so probably no trail ride today.
    Fat Biking and health-33a8688e-6cd8-4125-b522-e349978d91b4.jpgFat Biking and health-df920032-f5d7-4847-880b-afbfd7f1e5f8.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Looks good, Tex! Always a good time pedaling a singletrack through a forest. That loose soil looks to be a great ride with a fat.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The day before yesterday my wife joined me on the DTE Foundation Trail. We did a lap on the beginner loop. She really enjoyed it and I suspect she will go in the future. She gets nervous on technical trails but the Green Loop is smooth and flows. Right in her wheelhouse. My daughter was going to ride with us but her bike fell off the car rack and was destroyed. Fortunately no one was hurt. She will be trying to find a new one. Yesterday the wife, youngest son and I took an after dinner ride down to the park and to the Ice cream shop. So riding continues
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-bc80972b-53e6-4e1b-a7d2-132dad7b004a.jpg  

Last edited by iliketexmex; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:02 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    Tex, that is a real bummer for your daughter. Hope she can find a bike since they are sparse these days.
    I saw a car with a hitch rack full of bikes hit the roundabout at Aspen and loose the hitch rack in the roundabout... That was quite a scene as six bikes were likely damaged in one feel swoop. Always check and double check! Carrying a bike on the exterior of a car is hazardous to the health of a bike.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I lost my fattie off the hitch rack on the back of my car. It was entirely my fault. I was part way through putting it on, and stepped away to chat with someone.
    Got in the car and drove off with it only partially installed.

It came off at about 40-50 km/h (about 30 mph), bounced a few times, and no significant damage occurred. I was lucky as all can be. I've learned that lesson.

Once I place the bike on the rack, NOTHING will interrupt me until I am done.
    Edit: add mph

mtbr member
    I am sure she will be more careful. She had been thinking about a new bike anyway. This is just going to make her pull the trigger faster. She is thinking of going 27+ instead of full fat. She has a friend that works for Cannondale who might be able to find something, even if it is a demo. I found some places that have stock too. We will see what she decides

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    I lost my fattie off the hitch rack on the back of my car. It was entirely my fault. I was part way through putting it on, and stepped away to chat with someone.
    Got in the car and drove off with it only partially installed.

It came off at about 40-50 km/h (about 30 mph), bounced a few times, and no significant damage occurred. I was lucky as all can be. I've learned that lesson.

Once I place the bike on the rack, NOTHING will interrupt me until I am done.
    Edit: add mph
    Distractions can be expensive and it is polite to acknowledge a person and place em on hold while the more important deed is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I am sure she will be more careful. She had been thinking about a new bike anyway. This is just going to make her pull the trigger faster. She is thinking of going 27+ instead of full fat. She has a friend that works for Cannondale who might be able to find something, even if it is a demo. I found some places that have stock too. We will see what she decides
    Well, Cannondale can be portly. Worth the time to check since an opportunity with something available might be hiding in plain sight.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yesterday my wife and I took the South Fork of the Wabash Cannonball Trail from Maumee to Whitehouse, Ohio. We grabbed an early dinner/late lunch at a small restaurant called Local Thyme. My wife has not been riding very much so it was a long haul for her but she seemed to enjoy the ride. There was a bit of a headwind coming home but the weather was perfect. We had been working on the computer for some side projects but decided the weather was too good to not be outside. Fat Biking and health-24ef7c98-a457-4b9d-926b-100b1d752ff7.jpgFat Biking and health-57cca8df-1d14-4349-a050-c78135f5c429.jpg

mtbr member
    Yesterday my wife and I took the South Fork of the Wabash Cannonball Trail from Maumee to Whitehouse, Ohio. We grabbed an early dinner/late lunch at a small restaurant called Local Thyme. My wife has not been riding very much so it was a long haul for her but she seemed to enjoy the ride. There was a bit of a headwind coming home but the weather was perfect. We had been working on the computer for some side projects but decided the weather was too good to not be outside. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24EF7C98-A457-4B9D-926B-100B1D752FF7.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	372.3 KB 
ID:	1341439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57CCA8DF-1D14-4349-A050-C78135F5C429.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	449.7 KB 
ID:	1341437
    No idea why the pictures are upside down,

Rippin da fAt
    You need to edit them and save em before uploading.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo!

Sorry to hear about people losing bikes off a cycle carrier. That's one of the reasons I'm always so hesitant about carrying a bike that way: I hate the thought of damage or loss to either the bike or the car.

I've been riding almost every day this past week, some good rides up to 25 miles long, but I'm about to go on an enforced break. My personal trainer was able to have me in again for a session on Friday morning, finally, and a leapt at the chance. Unfortunately, during one of the workout exercises, I caught the 8 lb medicine ball wrong and it ruptured my right bicep proxima tendon. The only solution if I want to restore the arm and shoulder to full strength is a surgical repair, and that's going to mean the next six weeks or so in a sling.

I did go on my Saturday morning ride ... can't hurt the shoulder any worse as it is and there's little load on the bicep in a supine position when cycling ... but I'm a bit sore today and the wind is up outside. I'm going to just take a break from now until when the repair is healed up enough to ride more comfortably.

Stuff happens. Fix, recover, keep on going, don't look back.

G

... Oh yeah, my orthopedic surgeon is the same guy who did my hip replacement and knee repair a few years back. Hadn't seen him since last October. He walked into the room, looked at me, and said, "Hi Skinny! Sheesh, you look great!" Made me blush. LOL!

Rippin da fAt
    G, take the time to heal up. Not worth making matters worse.
    Medicine ball, Pfft! Placebo...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jesus ..... losing bikes off racks. Scares me all the time. I cinch our bikes down hard, check all the straps and cables, lock then and them ..... check the rachet holder over the front wheels again.
    I hope all the bikes aren't to badly damaged or scraped up. Not a good time to be shopping. Tex mex I hope your daughters friend comes through for her.

Oh Man G. Gets put on the DL by a medicine ball. Holy mackerel . We're all falling to pieces.

Saturday we did our shopping, got in a ride with my wife worked a little in the yard. We were ordering pizza from a local place. We get all set up, I jump in the shower, as I washing I noticed the left side of my face feels larger and I mean a good bit larger. My left jaw under my left ear is twice the size it used to be. I didn't hit it, no bangs, no trama...... WTH? I check it out in the mirror and it's swollen ...... ALOT. I dress and head down stairs. The wife hasn't seem it yet. I go out into the yard and sit across from her .... she doesn't notice at first. She looks up and says "what the hell is going on with your face?"
    No toothache, it's not sore unless I touch the area right under my ear at the back of my jawbone. I get some ice and grab my phone. I do a little search. I found a stone (blockage) of the Wharton's duct. It happens in people that take BP meds (me) and could be dehydrated adds to it. I did some reading and the info said to take a vitamin C or hard sour candy and suck on it. It activates the saliva glands and gets them flowing and can push the stone out.

It seems to have down the trick. I still have some slight swelling but barely noticeable. I called the doctor and she agreed with my diagnosis .... I go to see there Thursday so we can wait.
    Cardiologist appointment Friday and I made him aware of the incident too.
    After reducing some meds my BP has been good. I had one incident Friday again. I was thinking all of this was tied together too. Maybe a slight infection of my duct and getting dizzy along with the weight drop and the need to reduce my meds.
    Fingers crossed, I'm feeling good.

Riding 10+ daily and feeling good again in the saddle and thinking of some longer rides once I get cleared by the doc's.

G, improvise, adapt , overcome.
    Good luck with the recovery and surgery.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief has wacky tobacky?? @.o

Hope all turns out well, Chief. Hydrate properly too...
    I get chastised by the lab when I go for the blood workups and have not been hydrating properly since the blood will not flow well when they do the draw. The lab tech says I am stingy!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The fact we can get online and find an obscure medical condition and fix it is pretty amazing. Of course if you spend too much time on WebMD you will be convinced you are going to die very soon.

Rippin da fAt
    The fact we can get online and find an obscure medical condition and fix it is pretty amazing. Of course if you spend too much time on WebMD you will be convinced you are going to die very soon.
    WebMD has been helpful to resolve minor issues but cannot replace the occasional visit and such.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks all'y'all.

I spoke with the doc yesterday. The MRI and X-rays confirmed his suspicions: the bicep proxima tendon is completely severed and there's some additional damage at the top of the shoulder to the rotator cuff (some of it possibly residual damage from an injury to the same shoulder about 40 years ago). I'm working with his administrative/scheduling person to have the repair procedure done tomorrow. I'll be in a sling for about six weeks after that.

Not a lot of fun but I've been through similar before. All will be well again soon. And this irritating pain at the top of my arm will be gone.

I'll also be reassessing and reorganizing my workout regimen. More tension bands, less free weights seem the right way to go. The machines at the gym generally should prove safer since their action is well-defined and predictable. The injury was a consequence of a somewhat unpredictable toss and catch: I wasn't aligned correctly to properly execute the catch and overloaded the tendon with a sudden/unexpected high-impact load. I'll avoid that mistake in the future..

Onwards, always onwards! G

mtbr member
    Texmex, you're right the interweb is great for research and looking into things that you've never experienced before. Such has a blocked Wharton's Duct. I had no idea and it did give me an idea of what was going on and how to try to help myself. But you can't sit on there for any extended period you'll be in the hospital before you know it with all the maladies there.

Wade, you're SO right...... as a matter of fact I'm heading to the family doctor today and cardiologist tomorrow for my semiannual once overs.

I've bee out everyday this month so far. I'm using a 10+ mike ride daily to break up the day. I have to find something to do. My wife icked up a book last evening for me to read ....the latest grisham which I do read.

I'll get out today after the doctor appointment.

I read on FB where G was home from the surgery and doing well. He's learning to type left handed since the arm is in a sling. All the best G. Feel better soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I've regained enough mobility to type semi-normally now, as long as I drag the keyboard to the edge of my desk and sit at an appropriate angle. Could sleep in bed only three hours, sat at my desk and was more comfortable slept two and a half here. not too bad now, pain killer working.

it's gonna be tetchy for a week and then all should roll slowly back to normal.

onwards! G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, gee I leave you guy's alone for a few weeks and we have broken bikes and bodies

Tex, I hope the bike replacement goes well, in the meantime I flipped these for you...

Fat Biking and health-24ef7c98-a457-4b9d-926b-100b1d752ff7.jpg

Fat Biking and health-57cca8df-1d14-4349-a050-c78135f5c429.jpg

Chief, you have had a few weeks of ups and downs too, helping out with a fire to a body going haywire, good to see you staying on top of it. And you seem to be riding plenty for all of us

What can I say G that not want I want hear, I hope you heal quickly and get back on the bike soon, which by the way is looking fabulous. The tree image is lovely, most trees down here don't mind getting burned every now and then. Most of the native tress will use the fire as a time to drop their seed pods for the next generation. Take good care of yourself whilst you heal.

As for myself a lack of motivation to ride combined with plenty of lovely rainy days has seen bike time limited. The trails are not getting the time to dry out and my CC is still in the bike shop so apart from a few rides to work the bikes remain stabled.

Our gym at work reopened last week and its been great to get back on the Pilates reformer and rowing machine.

My son has been at me to go for a surf with him soon, so this morning I grabbed a board from the rack and headed down to Catherine Hill Bay. Now I have not been surfing for 18 months or more so I knew just paddling around would be hard enough let along catching a wave. And sure enough the few waves I managed to catch resulted with me falling on my face
    And it reminded me that surfing would be one of the hardest sports to do. Still it was a beautiful day to bob around in the ocean, which was warm and enjoy the sun.

Packing up to head home.

Fat Biking and health-img_0955.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_0959.jpg

I plan to ride tomorrow, as Sunday is forecast to rain again and see a drop in temps more fitting to winter.

OZ.

P.S. I noticed that Mike has been absent, does anyone one know if he is OK?

Rippin da fAt
    OZ, that you?? Hmmm, I think there's an imposter in here!! I haven't gone surfing in 30+ years, so ya, I would agree.
    Mike is good, just busy with his vehicle restoration project.

Chief, due to COOTIES-19, 20 and 21, my cardiologist appointment had been delayed by two months. Pfft! At least all came back as favorable!

G, best wishes and mend well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OK, visited the family doctor yesterday, we spoke about the jaw swelling and figure it was a blocked Wharton's tube. I had blood drawn and I hit the scale. I'm down 15 lbs since my last visit (November). The weight loss has been since April. I am still having a low BP issues on and off and I visited the cardiologist today. He's very happy about the weight loss, he had the blood results from yesterday. keep doing what I'm doing number are great. EKG was the same as January, good news. The tech took my BP ...... it was a little low. The Doc took it again, same numbers. We went over my meds and we reduced the BP meds again. Good news. I figure a few weeks for my body to adjust. Fingers crossed.

I got out early this morning since I had a doctors appointment this afternoon. I got 8+ in yesterday with my wife and I got 12+ in this morning. Feeling good. Lots of energy when I'm not getting dizzy.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f92.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f8f.jpg

Oz, great upper body workout paddling that board. Nice switch from the riding. Enjoy.
    I'm dieing to get to the beach for a little fishing. Striped bass and blues are running but with the Covid 19 still prevalent here in the NE I'm hanging around home.

Be well everyone, have a great weekend.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, sounds like a favorable visit with the cardiologist. Good news on a little weight loss and med adjustment.

My oil pressure light flickers and comes on from time to time. I just lay low for it to pass. We still have not sorted the cause as of yet. Kinda wish I had an OBDII port and could use a scan tool and gather live data on a ride or during times of low blood pressure. Go figure!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo OZ! Good to see you post again. Surfing, eh? I look forward to being able to do that kind of stuff once this shoulder gets back into line.

CHIEF! Sounds like a good visit with the medicals and like you're making some progress.

Wade: Thanks for the thought!

I've progressed to the 'no real pain' stage of this thing, and into the 'long sit about waiting for the tissues to mend' part of the game. No nerve damage evident: no tingling or numbness, my hand is strong and feels completely normal. The arm above it is weak as can be for the moment; mostly just traumatized by the bicep muscle and rotator cuff being punted around back to where they belong, I wager. Not seeing any issues with temperature, blood pressure, or ECG: all normal.

Today I get to take the dressings off and wash myself, start the very light ROM (range of motion) exercises to get it all mobile again. My follow up with the doctor is in a week.

I'm re-learning how to get things done with just my left arm, mostly. There's a lot I can do, and a lot i can't. The worst part of it is that sleeping sucks: I'm a right side sleeper and I can't lay on my right side for the duration. Sleeping on my back in a semi-sitting position isn't either comfortable or restful. So I sleep in two-hour increments with an hour of watching silly boring youtube videos in between. I'm currently hooked on "The LockPicking Lawyer" videos: by the time I ride a bicycle again, I think I'll throw away my keys. LOL!

Such it is. Onwards! G

Rippin da fAt
    G, I have still been dealing with the bursitis in my elbow. I have been very reliant on my left arm doing various tasks including servicing autos. Being ambidextrous makes it easier but it is still awkward and slows things down.

Wheels going together...

Finally was able to acquire the freakin' hubs! Hope Pro 4's are in high demand and the U.K. has the Hopetech company on house arrest so there is no supply at this point, ugh! Well, I purchased the last orange 157mm rear hub Jenson had on hand... No matching front in stock so I searched and found it at Colorado Cyclist. First delivery was a black boost hub.
    I tried to call em, hold que was a mile long so I emailed. Got a response within the hour. They included a return shipping label and said they would ship the correct hub as soon as the tracking number was in the USPS system. Two hours later, CC had shipped the replacement! How kewl is that... Two days later, I have the front hub and a pile of spokes, an ashtray full of green spoke nipples and a rim that needs the black powdercoat removed so a mirror polish can be had.
    What I like is contrast so I can see the lovely rims that I paid hard earned money for. A black rim with a black tire hides the beauty of the various components. Unfortunately, 45Nrth hadn't brought out the skinwall Van Helga 27.5 x 4.0 until a few months after I bought my tires. The skinwalls would have been very nice on black rims. There is an example of the skinwall on black rims in the Sergeant thread and I think they really compliment the bike very well.

Fat Biking and health-img_1395.jpg
    Initial test fit of the Van Helga 4.0's.

Fat Biking and health-img_1427.jpg
    Freshly laced up!

Fat Biking and health-img_1428.jpg
    Another angle.

Fat Biking and health-img_1433.jpg
    Tire mounted with fancy, shiny orange rim strip. Ain't that purdy??
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I did my first Century today, on the fattie, on a rail trail.
    I AM SORE.

Animals I saw:
    Fox x2
    Turtle, a big one.
    Endless horses
    Endless cows
    Some boy cows. They can run faster than I can ride. Fortunately they were on the other side of a fence.
    Pigs
    Goats
    Sheep
    Chipmunks
    Squirrels - Grey, Black and Red
    Vole (I think)
    Deer
    Groundhogs
    Coyote (maybe - it seemed too tall to be a fox.)

I only have a picture of the Turtle.Fat Biking and health-bridge.jpgFat Biking and health-trail.jpgFat Biking and health-turtle.jpgFat Biking and health-century.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Bridge.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	1343267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trail.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	1343269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turtle.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	1343271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Century.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	1343273

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Banshee, nice job on the wheels. I have orange Hopes in my summer wheels!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikbur View Post
    Banshee, nice job on the wheels. I have orange Hopes in my summer wheels!
    Great pix, Mikbur!

I now have two bikes sportin "new black" hubs.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I got out this morning before it got too hot. I'm still going easy until i acclimate to the new meds. I got 10+ in and it was warm. On the canal I had a blue heron on the canal path. It flew ahead of me, landed and then walked down into the canal water to fish some.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f9c.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f99.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f9a.jpg

I was very still and until another rider came along and scared the heron off.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1f9b.jpg

mtbr member
    Mikbur, a century is a big day. Congrats.

My wife and I met my daughter down in Virginia. We stayed in an AirBNB next to the Shenandoah National Park outside of Harrisonburg. We did do a little riding but the highlight of the trip was the hiking. We drove the skyline road for a bit, hiked to the Frazier Overlook. We also hiked to Doyle’s and Jones falls. It is a beautiful placE. If you ever get a chance, check it out

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo y'all!

I'm in Slow Time: My arm is healing, no pain, but I can't move it much yet or put much of a load on it. So I'm hanging about the house keeping myself amused by watching videos and movies, reading, etc. At least I can type normally now.

All these nice days i have to miss being on the bike. Feh. LOL!

Be well, stay sane, keep on going!

onwards, G

Rippin da fAt
    Glad you're mending, G! Patiently is the way to go. Your bike will be there when the time comes to get a pedal going once more, might need some air tho'.

I had to replace the pressure gauge on my old Blackburn Track pump. :/ Fortuanately, I found a very nice digital gauge in the correct size to adapt for easy readings. The pressure gauge reads low pressures accuately and is capable up to 145 psi. Tweaking my fatbike is a breeze with the .1 increment gauge. Makes for setting Sunspot's tires for a ride to be easy. Damn, it sure is nice to be easily entertained!

On another note... Still hafta get rid of the hideous matte black powder coating on one more rim so I can lace up Sarge III's front wheel. I really enjoy lacing up a wheel. They are an easy puzzle and very relaxing to do.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Well here it is...

I guess i had best address this as quick as possible. Kinda like ripping off a bandage that had become too attached to my body. What? What in the world has the bear done now? Well. Along time ago when our happy little group was forming, Mama bear and I were considering moving back out west. Wade kept encouraging us , but we weren't quite ready then. I made sorry excuses and wade saw right through the facade.
    Fast forward to June 2020. After living here in southern Alabama, I had become fairly complacent and got away from my Missouri level of fitness. Plus living with my two oldest sons wore on me. On the 22nd at 8am the sheriff was pounding on our door seems that somehow the owners of the park had gone gone to court and got a eviction order on us. We never recieved one notice! Oh they said they had taped one on the door. But we NEVER recieved it. Anyway David and Sean are headed back to Missouri without me so much for deathbed promises made to Mama bear about keeping our family together. I've had it. So on July 2nd I'm leaving hot n humidity Alabamy for the western slope. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH So Bear will be living for a bit with banshee who was kind enough to open his house to me. It's a 2+ day greyhound bus ride for me. But at least I'll bee of the limiting heat n humidity. 83% comlared to 23% is a huge difference.
    You may be asking youself, 'But what about Ryback?'. A good friend iz getting him from David plus the box to put him in. I won't leave him behind.
    So on July 4th I'll arrive back out in the mountains the Sue and I loved so well. Thanks guys fo r letting me vent.
    And a huge THANK YOU to Wade, for sticking with me for these past 6 years. Thanks Chief, Mike, tex and G for keeping this thread going.

The following report is from 6-23. Two friends came down to Alabama to see me. We decided to go see the USS Alabama (BB #60) permanently moored in Mobile Bay. Although I aman old squid, I never had seen up close one of our Battleships.
    The lady was one of my hest Friends in high school. She was on her honeymoon. She out lived her first two husbands and knew her 'new' husband in 6th grade.
    There's the back story.
    Richard and I decided to tour the Battle wagon. This visit proved to be what put the coffin so to speak. Richard is the same age as I am. This is how our '3hr tour' went. First, the ship was never fully decomissioned from what I could tell. The only way aboard is up a Lonnng steep ramp leading to the quarterdeck. Puffing and huffing we made our decent. Then after going aboard , we decided to go to visit the inside. Afterall thete is a big AC UNIT on deck. We went inside. The top deck wasn't too bad, but we decided to 'explore' the next deck. Down the STEEP ship's ladder we descended into the bowels of only the second deck. Then came the oppressive heat. The further aft we went the hotter it became. We were dripping wet and star ting to pant. So we hurridly beaded back topside. That event convinced me my time in the neo-tropics of Alabama had ended.

Now the wait for the second of July starts.
    Until later. I remain your humble obt servant
    Oldbear
    L

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    oldbear: Well, that's a pain in the behind, but you'll soon be in a better place. Personally, I could never live with the heat and humidity of Alabama and similar. Cool and damp: fine; hot and dry: fine. Wet and hot: ugh. So it's unfortunate that the situation came upon you in a crappy way, but I'd consider it a good new start.

And how cool is it that Wade will help you out like that? Wade, you're a prince and a good friend.

Things creep along here. Weather is nice outside. I watched another fine movie today from a different time. And so forth. My 94 year old buddy from SLO called me back and we had a fun talk, as we always do. I see the doctor for my follow up on Friday morning.

All keeps moving onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Well Old Bear, as Ramarren always says: Onwards. Good luck in your new adventure.

I took a short ride yesterday. The weather in NW Ohio has been perfect, not too hot, enough rain to keep everything green but not flooded. I have been less focused on riding hard and more on my diet. Moving the needle in the right direction. Even though I am not riding hard I have been riding. Here are some shots from last night's ride. I managed to get a shot of the deer on the trail. I saw an Osprey as well but could not manage a good picture of it. Actually seeing one in this area is not unusual but this one was particularly close.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0840.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0839.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0835.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0829.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0827.jpg

mtbr member

The locomotive

More shots from yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C06CDB2-0835-4146-B20F-37BE995C1773.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	1338695
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0CFAD787-51A6-4656-9EAC-E204B08DA33B.jpg 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	1338697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74BD9B26-1796-40B5-9EB5-EB72E6DFBD8E.jpg 
Size:	278.3 KB 
ID:	1338699
    Temex

Just let you know, the Loco in the picture, is call an American. The American was the most prolific loco of the 19th century. They were built by a number of companies for of the RRs. They were quite common on the building of the transcontinental RR. The most common gauge was 4' 8" which was also called 'standard gauge'. In the Colorado Rockies where 'standard gauge wasn't feasible RRs used 3' between the rails. Early on as the mines were coming more prolific, the owners had to rely on Horse and wagons to move the Gold and silver from their mines to processing facilities. The little 3' RRs made it much easier to move their ore. When they first built into the rockies, little American locos were used. The American lovo was the Locomptive that opened the mountains .
    Now you know the 'rest of the story' as Paul Harvey used to say.
    Until later
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    G:
    I hope that you heal quickly. and thanks for your kind comments. Yes wade is a pprince amongst our group.

Tex thank you too.

Mow its just a waiting game ubtil the 2nd. I am anxious to get out of here. Too many ghosts linger here for me.
    Rught now my left knee is throwing me fits. But what should I expect from clambering around on the USS Alabama ? I'm going to take some ibuprofen and flexeril plus elevate it. When I had surgery on it qm19 years ago my sports ortjopedist said if it every gets really bad again he'd recommend a knee replacement. Well for 19 years It wasn't acting up but...
    Until later Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Temex

Just let you know, the Loco in the picture, is call an American. The American was the most prolific loco of the 19th century. They were built by a number of companies for of the RRs. They were quite common on the building of the transcontinental RR. The most common gauge was 4' 8" which was also called 'standard gauge'. In the Colorado Rockies where 'standard gauge wasn't feasible RRs used 3' between the rails. Early on as the mines were coming more prolific, the owners had to rely on Horse and wagons to move the Gold and silver from their mines to processing facilities. The little 3' RRs made it much easier to move their ore. When they first built into the rockies, little American locos were used. The American lovo was the Locomptive that opened the mountains .
    Now you know the 'rest of the story' as Paul Harvey used to say.
    Until later
    Oldbear

My older son was into trains as a kid. We had a huge model train table in the basement (I may have shared the video in a previous post, I don't know). But he would have been able to tell me all about it. He used to cheer when we would get stopped on a railroad crossing so he could watch the trains go by. Of course he is in college now.

mtbr member
    WOW, great news for Old Bear. Good to hear from you. Glad things are working out.

Wade you are a special person with this offer. So nice of you.

G hang in there. You get a little bit better each day.

texmex, lots of deer out and about yesterday. I crossed paths with 9 total. A few I scared out of their beds along a power line. I ran through 6 at the community college and one was so small it still had the white spots on it. I button buck too.

Yesterday was 36 straight days riding in a row. It seems I needed a break. I had a horrible night of sleep last night. I woke up with these electric pulses along my right foot across the top of it every few minutes. Not much sleep at all. I had a tough time trying to nap today, every time I'd be falling asleep my wife would check on me to see how I was doing. I'm exhausted. No ride today a good stretch and nice warm shower before bed tonight and maybe a glass of wine or 2 to help me sleep. Leg has been quiet all day ...... fingers crossed. This was a first. I had issues with the nob on the side of my ankle throbbing but never the little electric pulses.

Rippin da fAt
    Pfft! Prince, no, priesthood holder, yus!

Now there will be two bears in the house, one in German Shepard clothing, and Fred!

Chief, it sounds like you have an inflammation that is irritating a nerve. Might try arnica, a natural anti inflammatory to reduce the effects you are experiencing.

Sarge III is getting closer to complete. I cobbled a set of brakes together from the bin, snagged a few other parts outta da bin! Bar/stem, shifter, RD and seat and post came from the bin. Dadgum, the bin has been mined out I believe! Waiting to hear back from a friend that has an extensive bin to see if I can hork a crankset. Pedals, from my bin are set aside as well. I wanted to make use of some parts that have been collecting dust rather than surf the web to find parts are as scarce as the day is long.

Tex, if you can find wholesome ingredients, job done! Stay away from the processed junk in a box and you'll be dandy. In moderation with things like salt as well.

The test... I borrowed Sarge I's front wheel, mounted Sarge III's rear wheel, tossed a seat/post in, threw on an old FSA FR200 stem and Easton bar to get an idea of the stance and stack Sarge III will have. Wow, what a nice fit and feel this bike shall have!! In the near future, I will change the bar/stem for a Straitline Amp stem and FSA Gradient 40mm rise bar. This change will be a major increase in bar installed height. Cannot wait to get Sarge III on the trail and get a feel of his Van Helga 4.0's on 70mm rims. Ride quality should be top notch with 5-6 psi rear and 4.5-5.5 front. Sarge III is a rigid bike and what I refer to as a mid-fat since he cannot wear 4.8's.

What a pain in the ballsack this scamdemic is! Cannot buy foods, toilet paper, plungers or bikes and parts!?! WTH?? Dead bovine is in short supply too, and I've had it up to my eyeballs with cheeken and pork. /end rant... Kinda!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm just back from my follow up with the doctor. Stiches are out, and everything is healing up nicely. He gave me a set of photos of the damage and the repairs.. Gads what a mess happened in there! All fixed, and the inflammation from the surgery is almost completely gone now too.

Now just five weeks to lay low with it and let all the tissues heal properly, start working on restoring strength and muscle tone. About July 29, I'll be able to ride again at my discretion.

Life is good! Onwards! G

Rippin da fAt
    G,it's like a doctor to knife ya and take your money! Glad you are mending well.

On to bear patrol...

With the Bear coming to stay, I can fill in Mr. Ranger, Sir so much easier! I am thinking that this change for Fred will allow for him to be less stressed and more relaxed and healthy being away from the high humidity and heat. Another good thing is to get his bike dialed in the way it should be for performance and safety reasons. I will get him set up with a good physician and cardiologist as soon as possible to get the health in check. Among other things, picnic baskets will be searched for contraband regularly, so the bad things are kept to a minimum. HEY BOOBOO!!
    Doctor recommended...

Fatbiker Fatbiking
    G,it's like a doctor to knife ya and take your money! Glad you are mending well.

On to bear patrol...

With the Bear coming to stay, I can fill in Mr. Ranger, Sir so much easier! I am thinking that this change for Fred will allow for him to be less stressed and more relaxed and healthy being away from the high humidity and heat. Another good thing is to get his bike dialed in the way it should be for performance and safety reasons. I will get him set up with a good physician and cardiologist as soon as possible to get the health in check. Among other things, picnic baskets will be searched for contraband regularly, so the bad things are kept to a minimum. HEY BOOBOO!!

Wish there was a way I could Up-Vote what Wade has done here, a million times over. It's an honor to have you as a friend, albeit a long distance friend, but a finer friend would be harder to find. Those are going to be some great ride reports coming our way. Your new bike build is going to be a great one for your trails, Wade.

Just the same, some great ride reports from the crew here, wonderful all the way around, with some nice pictures and even a fatbike century thrown in as well as some Down Under Surfing. Best biking thread out there, still going strong.

On this front, I was riding the Haibike steadily up until last Saturday when my near 11 thousand miles accumulated on the chain conspired to put the bike down for some needed parts overhaul. It all came to a head when I thought I could rip up a steep, 50 plus degree climb within Crystal Lake Park. About 7/8's of the way to the top, with the front wheel lifting up, I realized this is what a plane stalling out is like, and I went down hard, almost rolling down the hill side in the process. And with that, the questionable chain had reached it's life's end as I now found that it would skip on the front chain ring whenever I set out in motion from a stop; throwing the chain off the front sprocket in the process.

The front ring, FSA 2-by, has it's outer ring teeth severely worn. So, I've ordered up a new ring from FSA, a new Shimano chain, rivets, chain tool, new rear sprocket, even a new XT derailleur for that brand new ride feeling. Note: best advised to replace the chain ring bolts in the process. I didn't and had a heck of a time getting them cinched down on the new ring. Whenever I get this bike back together, a ride report will eventually come.

The Park Blue Book on bike repair is a must-have for people like me who'd rather try to do the job themselves....
    Yesterday, today was tomorrow
    And tomorrow, today will be yesterday....

Rippin da fAt
    Mr. Ranger, here! YOGIIIIIII!!!

Thankya, Mike.
    Mike, you got caught going AWOL, Mr.!
    I have done the chinring thing in the past. Damn teeth were nearly nonexistent from the mileage on it.
    On the bike front, it is incumbent on us to inspect the drivetrain and overall bike at the start of each and every ride. I call it giving my bike a hug cause they need love too. Just more of a visual inspection. Look closely at chains, brakes and cogs/chainrings. It goes a little further than checking tire pressure and may prevent collidus, not to be confused with colitis...

Sarge III should be up and running this week, barring any supply chain issues and scamdemic slowing shipping. Again, I must spend some more time getting that nasty powdercoat off the rim for the front wheel build. Bin parts have found a way to be recycled and cycled, bicycled! It is a good feeling being able to purpose some of the parts and bring a new adventurer to the trails. I think the midfat will be a major contributor to year round service with 4.0's on 70mm rims. Winter snow, no worries, let out a little air, ride a softer tire for the flotation and moreso, the traction. Summer forest trails, let out a little air, not quite as much as needed for snow, just soft enough to improve flotation and not tear up the soil. One thing I do need to add to the bike is a Lezyne XL for a proper Jeepin' experience. Then I can lat air out as needed and pump up when soft tires aren't necessary. Same thing I do with the Mayor, Jeepin', Baby, Jeepin'!!

Sarge I is wearing 27.5 x 3.25's while Aisan and Sunspot wear 27.5 x 3.0's. The Mayor wears 4.8's and occasionally 5.05's. Sarge III will wear 27.5 x 3.8's and 4.0's. All have some big, fat tires to fill!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Mike, completely agree with the kind words, and I too am glad to see that Bear has a place to go.

Banshee, what a great gesture you are making. I keep finding myself unable to add reputation in this thread as apparently I need to spread it around more!

Mike, are you telling me that you got more than 10k miles on a single chain? That is incredible! I've broken 1 chain on my fatbike at about 2000km, and since then I bought a chain measuring gauge and have put 3 additional chains on.
    Are you changing the rear cassette too?
    On my one by I find that the smallest cogs wear first and that is where the skipping starts for me.

Fatbiker Fatbiking
    Mikbur: Yep, sure did, but it also came with a steep price in that worn out front chain ring. I've no chain stretch guage, but that' on the list. At near 11k miles, yes, I had some slop in the chain, but I my problems of the chain coming off the front chain ring when starting out from a dead stop immediately started after I tried climbing that Hill Of Death. That was the final straw for that chain. Normally, I'm a water level rider, spinning lightly on the drivetrain, constantly shifting to achieve what I feel to be right for the conditions and myself.

I've no doubt in my mind now that the mtb'rs like yourself and Wade climbing steep terrain wear your chains out at a faster rate then this canal towpath rider ever will.

Yes, changing the cassette as well, going to the original stock gear ratios, same manufacturer for the cassette, rear derailleur and front sprocket.

I've noted some up and down play on the front chain ring and I suspect that is some kind of internal bearing wear of the Yamaha PW motor. In that case, the motor casing will have to be split, cleaned and inspected and new bearings installed. Winter project, for sure.

Wade: Guilty as charged. Sound advice. I always look at the bike before each ride as you suggest. Before each ride, I will usually add a drop or two of Dupont Chain Saver to the chain.

After looking at that front ring of mine, I got to wondering why front chain rings are not steel instead of alloy. Saving the lower bracket bearings, maybe?

Back to work on the bike. Next up: sizing up my new chain with the old one and installing it. Humidity kicking up here in NJ...
    Yesterday, today was tomorrow
    And tomorrow, today will be yesterday....

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    LOL! I wouldn't have it any other way. This doc is the only orthopedic surgeon I've ever known who rides both motorcycles and bicycles, and he also likes electronica dance music. He's a great guy, I always enjoy seeing him although I never really want to visit professionally if I can help it. He's changed my life: did my hip replacement and knee repair before this. Great job on both!

Chain life/sprocket life: My chains so far have been at/near the wear limit at around 800-1100 miles each. I'd rather change a chain a little early than have to replace chain ring or cassette. So far, I've not worn out either of those. Usually, the trade off to a high-grade, hardened aluminum chain ring over steel is based on weight; I don't think sprocket lifespan differences are much worry.

onwards! G

Rippin da fAt
    Mikbur, that is mutual with all of us in this thread!

Mike, chainrings are slow wearing compared to other components.

G, I just try to avoid people that have knives and are not using them for culinary purposes! Been there, done the surgery thing a few times, with heart surgery being one of em.
    My bike dropped me off, thinking all I needed was sparkplugs, I get home and am throwing P0300, P0301-P0308...

Looks like OZ has gone AWOL... Your move, OZ!

Truancy occifer has been notified.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mike I couldn't agree more. The people here are special. I count each of you as friends....... I have met one. I count him (Mike) as a friend the others are friends that have not been seen face to face. For one of these people to take a friend in is unbelievable. Wade is such a special person to do this. Thank you all for your friendship and posts. It allows me me to see your rides and that is special too.

OK, with the weight loss and new meds ........ there is a new problem. The beta blocker that they added is working perfectly ....... except one of the contraindications is depression, among other things. I've never had an issue with it and don't understand it well. I had a bad week; last week, I was depressed, I didn't know I was and had no idea why...... I never read about the drug. My wife did and then I did. Holy crap. It was bad..... not suicidal bad; but bad enough in it's own right. I was a bit of a mess. Now that I know what's going on I'm good and will be. The wife is all over me making sure I'm OK.... and I am.
    The leg issues have gone away after some rest, tens and ice. Hopefully it's over.
    We rode today and I had a blast. My wife is a beast riding, it never looks like she is working hard. Today we went out with the wind, we turned back into the wind and she was working to ride. I was cruising, after a days rest it was fun. She worked tt stay with me, she rode in my draft, which I like. I work to create space for her. She came around me in and up hill grade and went by me. I let her go and worked to catch her, a slight down grade, then back up. Then along the river with harder winds, she fell back, I slowed to allow her to get in my draft again. I enjoy riding with her, she makes me work. The whole back end was into the wind and we had to work, she struggled and i slowed to let her catch up. Once we were down at the other end of town, I told her we're down wind now relax and ride. We did, it was fun, I changed our route to allow her to ride easy. She went home and I finished the next 1.6 miles alone and into the wind to work a little.
    I'm doing well, I wish to get back to work and some reasonable existence again.

We had a GREAT dinner this evening .... shrimp (pick & peel) cheese and crackers, some wine. Then steak (with my marinade), crab cakes, orzo salad, beets, salad, macaroni salad then dessert and dominos. Great night.

Be well all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, yes Wade I have been lurking in the shadows lately, I might need an intervention to get me riding at the moment. A lack of motivation a few seating issues and wet trails are giving me plenty of self-made excuses to leave my bikes in the stable. The world wide shut down has left my CC in the bike shop for weeks now waiting for parts and the guys time to get the rebuild done. Still I have other bikes to ride and I am on holiday's for the next month so I need to throw a leg over soon. And yes I was due to be on a plane to Paris today so I now have plenty of time at home to ride

Also mate its a true sign of friendship/mateship in you giving Bear a hand when he needs it, much good Karma will deservedly come your way. And your new extended bike family see plenty of trail time.

Chief look after yourself mate, great to see that your loving wife is on top of things and providing love and care. I envy your rides of the last few months, send some of that spirit Downunder, express post please

Hi G, glad your Doctor has you on the road to recovery, maybe time to shoot some photos.

Hi Mike, well you have given your bike a solid workout so its time to repay it with a rebuild. Hope to see a ride report soon as they give me the motivation to get out the door on the bike so often.

Tex, it looks like a great time of year in your part of the world to be out on a bike, loving the images.

Hi Bear, sorry to read of your hard times, but we can look forward to see what adventures you and Banshee get up to in the mountains, all the best mate.

And with that post I will be AWOL again for the next few days, we cannot go to Europe so a few days in Port Macquarie will have to do With travel restrictions still in place down here leaving the state is not possible, so we are planning a few short trips around the place. And maybe a bike ride too...

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Mr. Ranger here!

OZ, it is the deed that keeps on giving and how better to keep a bear outta the picnic baskets!?!? I look forward to helping Fred get situated and into a less stressful situation where good health care is nearby. I really believe the drama that has been in the previous situation has lent to part of the health breakdown. Now the healing and a fresh start can begin and hopefully flourish. OZ, I'll keep the hall monitor busy, slip out the side door...

Chief, each time I am prescribed a med that I am not familiar with, I research it. There are too many with horrifying side effects these days.

G, my trials bike gets a fresh KMC 710 twice a season. The little seatless bike will break a chain readily due to the punchy pedal kick frequency. Sarge, Aisan, Sunspot and the Mayor get a fresh chain every spring. Don't want to experience collidus, not to be confused with colitis. Collidus is an inflamation of the famdamily jewels after collision with the back of a bicycle's stem that usually causes Turett's and a very high voice.

Mike, get out of the sauna, would ya! *Pours water over the heat stones*
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Banshee, do you have any Bear spray around the house might come in handy.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    OZ, I will try not to piss off the bear, but nuts and berries in lieu of picnic baskets...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oz, throw a leg over the bike and post some pictures. We are lacking in posts South of the Equator.

Chief, keep plugging. Hopefully the side effects of the medicine can get straightened out. One thing is for sure, biking more won't hurt.

I went camping this weekend in Muskegon, MI. We went to PJ Hoffmaster State Park on the East side of Lake Michigan with my siblings. I did some research ahead of time and learned there is a good beginner trail nearby, so I loaded my Wife's bike in addition to my own. A Coworker sold me his old Thule tray style bike rack for $100, so adding the bikes to the other gear was no problem. Definitely the best $100 I have spent on a bike purchase.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0843.jpg
    We arrived Friday afternoon and managed to get our tent set up just before torrential rains hit. Fortunately the severe winds passed to the south of us and the whole area is sandy soils. Things did not get muddy at all.

Saturday morning we went and checked out the Mosquito Creek Trails not far from Muskegon. The trails were awesome. What was great is that my wife was able to ride and really felt confident. When we came back to the campground I overheard her telling my sister about how fun the trails are. She has been frustrated with other trails labeled as beginner but really having technical features. So it was nice she had a great time. We did a lap together, then she turned me loose to do a couple laps while she rode by herself. I ran across this guy, almost ran him over:
    Fat Biking and health-img_0849-crop.jpg
    I scooted him off the trails, but he did not appreciate it one bit.

We met my family back at the State park and hung out at the beach and the dunes. The sunset over Lake Michigan is hard to beat.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0855.jpg
    After we got home and unpacked I took a spin around my neighborhood. The weather this summer has been perfect. The rains that came through were just enough to water everything and not flood anything. It has been great.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0859.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0860.jpg

mtbr member
    I did read up on the contraindications of the new med. I saw the depression and never gave it a thought. With not working and the wedding and wondering if we're going to be able to have it; I think it all got to me and I'm sure the med had something to do with it too. Now that I'm aware I'll be good. Plus the wife is checking on me way to much now. LOL

An interview last week and one today so things are looking up on the job front.

Miles are coming easy, the heat was bad yesterday and the sun was very warm today but the ride was good. I'm doing well and will get better with more riding (you're right Oz, it can't hurt ).

We're all looking forward to combined reports from Wade and Old Bear.

Rippin da fAt
    Unfortunately, a little bad news from the Bear...
    Evidently, his son left his bike with someone else and we don't yet know how that is going to work out. Fred's son has been a real jerk as of late and treated Fred with a crap attitude and said and done very hurtful things. I will let y'all know what goes on as the news comes in.

Tex, looks like turtles are out and about for the season, good stuff.

Chief, it might be a med that needs careful monitoring. Be careful with that stuff, would ya...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Will do Wade and my wife will watch me for both of us. Thanks for the concern.

I loaded up the Fuse and headed to Yardley for a longer loop along the canal while we have decent temps and low humidity before the weekend. I headed up the canal towards Washington's Crossing, I passed a few blue herons and a big doe along the way north. I passed WC and went up to Bowman's Hill and the Revolutionary War cemetery for Unknown Soldiers there. On the way at a site were a tree had fallen, been cut up and removed I found a red bike light. I stopped and picked it up and it still works. I rode into the park there and past the Boy Scout camp area. I headed back south stopped at the cemetery and had a drink then pedaled on south. Another smaller doe and a red fox and at least 8 more blue herons.

Fat Biking and health-avsvp6kytakjfxl9botpiq.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1fa4.jpg

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1fa3.jpg

A good ride, 17.59 miles, in 98:50 minutes, avg. speed 10.68 mph.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hallo!

Sorry to hear that oldbear still has some issues to deal with. Hopefully it will all sort out soon.
    Sounds like a nice ride, CHIEF! I look forward to being able to get out on the bicycle again.

My shoulder is healing nicely, and perhaps feels better than expected for this amount of time. Range of motion and strength improves every day: It becomes hard to keep it constrained to the sling, even though I know it's too early to put loads on it. I'm sure the doc will let me know next Friday what the state is and how much more I can do with it.

Not much else going on, I'm processing photos I took in the past and doing a lot of reading. Not up to driving just yet, maybe after I see the doc again, but I've been going out for 2-3 mile walks around the neighborhood.

Onwards! G

mtbr member
    My shoulder is healing nicely, and perhaps feels better than expected for this amount of time. Range of motion and strength improves every day: It becomes hard to keep it constrained to the sling, even though I know it's too early to put loads on it. I'm sure the doc will let me know next Friday what the state is and how much more I can do with it.
    Don't overdo it. That is the hardest point of healing up, when it feels good and you get tempted to do more than you should. Nice and easy.

mtbr member
    I'm sitting in the bus with a ticket for my destination.
    Today, I leave the neo tropics for the beauty of the rocky mountains.
    To.quote, the old 'Rocky Mountain High' by the late great John Denver,
    'He was born i the summer of his 27th year'.. (+41years).
    I lived out west back in the mid '90s when the kiddos were little. So actually, I'm going home.
    Ryback is now history. Sad but true. I couldn't get the address of the Fata$$ that my son left him with. That dude won't answer any messages I send him. I pray that Ryback up and bites him in the scrotum. Maybe make him leave his testes wrecked. Lol.
    I'm very excited about this move and maybe I can FINALLY get some real honest to goodness saddle time in again.
    Yup Wade has his work cut out for his to be sure. Wade has even volunteered to help.me build up a new ride. It's name will be Ryback 2.0.
    This move isa fresh start for this bear . complacency and Laziness will finally rooted out and we'll be sending regular ride reports. No more hiding, this move is what Mama approves.
    Until later
    Oldbear, released into Mr. Ranger sir's custody.

Rippin da fAt
    Well, folks, the bear will be sportin a 907 from this point forward. I gave my 907 frameset with X9 crankset to Fred to make his new bike a reality. Unfortunately, his son is a piece of rubbish and kyped Fred's bike and left it with some slimeball.

I will be keeping an eye out for parts to make the 907 compete for Fred to get back into life, drama free life! No more getting bikes stolen, no more bullshit from people that are supposedly family.

Looking foreward, if there is anyone that can donate a component or two toward the Bear Bike project, please PM Mr. Ranger, Sir!

Parts needed are wheels, shifter, rear derailleur, seat/post. I have a pair of Dilly 5's to throw on it too.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Well, folks, the bear will be sportin a 907 from this point forward. I gave my 907 frameset with X9 crankset to Fred to make his new bike a reality. Unfortunately, his son is a piece of rubbish and kyped Fred's bike and left it with some slimeball.

I will be keeping an eye out for parts to make the 907 compete for Fred to get back into life, drama free life! No more getting bikes stolen, no more bullshit from people that are supposedly family.

Looking foreward, if there is anyone that can donate a component or two toward the Bear Bike project, please PM Mr. Ranger, Sir!

Parts needed are wheels, shifter, rear derailleur, seat/post. I have a pair of Dilly 5's to throw on it too.
    What is the wheel size?

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I am sorry to hear about your problems Oldbear!
    It sounds like you are changing things in your life and hope that will give you a lift!
    Can't go wrong being in the Rocky Mountains!
    The only directions is up. (Literally and figuratively!)

BansheeRune is getting you lined up nicely and your new ride will be awesome!
    Take care!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Rippin da fAt
    What is the wheel size?
    26" by fat. Rear is 190 qr front is 135, rear spaced tentatively.

do, do do, another bear rides the bus! and another one on and another on off, another bear rides the bus... The bear is in transit...

Shit! Almost forgot...
    Sarge III is on the prowl... 27.5 x 4.plush is freakin awesome! Better fuel economy but not as much float as 4.8's but dayum! I have the tires a little soft since the first ride included some sand riding. Still rolls well for a pair of Van Helga 4.0's, as aggressive as the tread is on them. I have a Straitline Amp stem on order to carry the orange theme with the Split Pea Soup green frame. Spoke nipples are green with orange hubs.
    Lacing the wheels... What a pleasure that part of a bike build is. Nothing can make a bike belong to a fella like lacing the wheels personally. Such a joy to bring it all together. I have raided my bin for many parts and my buddy had me over to raid his dungeon for a couple parts too. Putting good parts back in service is wonderful since the dust they collect is "earned". It is a pleasure to take a pedal with Sarge III and get a feel for a midfat with a nice comfortable riding position and excellent stance. Can you say "Jeepin"???
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OZ, I will try not to piss off the bear, but nuts and berries in lieu of picnic baskets...
    NUTS? BERRIES? I am an omnivore

Written in the dark. On a bus. Heading out into Texas .

mtbr member
    The front wheel I salvaged off my daughters bike might be 135 QR. I will check And let you know

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Wade:

I have tires spare (26x4.00, OEM takeoffs from the Sumo, the Fatboy Comp Carbon, and a pair of Origin8s that I never tried) that I can offer. I raided the rest of my unused/leftover parts bin when I bought the second Beargrease frame so as to scrounge up enough parts to outfit that one when I put it together; there's nothing left now.

If Wade doesn't need the tires and anyone else does, let me know. They're not doing me any good sitting in the closet.

Slow time continues, healing continues. Feel fine, just trying to not use my arm too much while it's healing. Depending on what the doctor tells me next Friday, I might be able to drive again after that. Cycling scheduled to resume July 29...

Onwards, G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Cool-blue Rhythm Walking the beach...

Hi everyone, just back from a few days in Port Macquarie and it was wonderful.

Great to see that you are on your way to the mountains Bear, have a safe trip.

Hi Tex, nice looking spot you have there, is that a snapping Turtle?

Chief, Herons seem to be almost the same the world over, these blue ones look almost identical to the Herons we have down here. Great to see you out and riding, take care.

Hi G, good to read that your rehab is on track, down time is great for photo editing or cataloging. I will need to spend a few hours doing that after our trip as I have brought home somewhere around 700 images to sort through and weed out the keepers.

Banshee, helping Bear with a place to stay and a bike to ride, champion!

And here a few photos from our "walking" holiday, I say walking as we covered 17 plus km's each day along beaches and through lush forest.

There is a 10 km coastal walk staring in Port Macquarie and heading south over rocky headlands and long beaches. The sand is very hard on a low tide like we experienced and some of the beaches would be great to ride a bike on. Next trip up that way will see Farley coming along for the ride.

The view from a headland on the beach walk.

Fat Biking and health-img_1057.jpg

You can see how hard the sand is in these next two photos and some of the rocks that provide interest along the way.

Fat Biking and health-img_1061.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_1060.jpg

The view from North Brother lookout over Laurieton and North Haven.

Fat Biking and health-img_1036.jpg

Walking along the river walls in the afternoon we met a few of the local Grey Nurse sharks that have found a easy life hanging around the fish cleaning tables on the river edge.

Fat Biking and health-img_1034.jpg

And there are plenty of fish at the moment, just about every fisherman we walked passed was reeling one in.

And a final few images when I was out early to catch the light.

Fat Biking and health-p1012638.jpg

Fat Biking and health-p1012818.jpg

Fat Biking and health-p1012898.jpg

Nice to be home and as usual lately the rain has come through just before sunrise to wet down the trails so no riding today.

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, great pic's. Those last 2 shots look so fishy. I wanna grab my surf rod and make a few casts through that white water.

Thanks for sharing.

No ride today, it was very warm here today 95 degrees and humid. Plus my quads are a tad sore. A good stretch and roll this evening. Plus we shopped this morning. Then we were taking my MIL to look for an outfit for my daughters wedding. She gets nervous when she has to go out. She walks everyday most days twice a day. She walked when my sone left for work this morning, we grocery shopped and got everything together and took it to her house. We called on the way, no answer. We called two more times on alll the numbers (house and cell). No answer. We got there and went in. Placed the groceries in the kitchen, my wife called for her. Nothing. Huh. I had a bad thought.
    We walked through the house, bedrooms, bathrooms. Nothing. As we walked into the living room she was sitting on the love seat. My wife called to her and touched her. No response. Ut Oh.
    I looked at her color and it was good, a tad pale but OK. My wife panicked. Is she dead?
    I looked at her and touched her, she was warm and breathing. I told my wife to relax.
    She was out of it. She does this when she falls SOUND asleep. I mean OUT. I touched her to get her to wake up. Her eyes opened and she moved but fell right back asleep. Not good. My wife thought she had a stroke. I didn't think so. It took us a while to get her awake and aware so she could talk to us and make sense.
    She usually walks, comes home, gets a drink turns on the TV and then gets a nap. No TV and this was unconscious sleep.
    We got her some water, some sugar (orange) and got her up and moving. What a scare.
    She went with us and she got an outfit and scared the crap out of us.

Happy 4th of July to us all here in America. Enjoy the weekend.

Rippin da fAt
    Sarge III is on hand...

Fat Biking and health-img_1435.jpg

Fat Biking and health-img_1436.jpg

The build is mostly done however, there is a stem on order. The ride is very nice, peppy and nimble for a bike with fat tires. Has a very light feel and the ride is plush with the 4.0's on 70mm rims. If Surly ever offers the Knard in 27.5 x 3.8/40, I'll be ordering em since they would roll even better than the Van Helga 4.0's.

Items to change out are the brake levers with Hope Tech 3's in orange to compliment the other orange components.

Thanks to those that responded to the Bear bike build. This is greatly appreciated since the Bear has had his son turn his back on him and screw him on every level.
    Thankya, guys.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Life is a journey or in f thousands of steps. For us in this little clan, note the spelling. I'm trying to be apolitical here, its a journey unending here on the planet we call home. Anyway. As I'm writing this I'm twixt between Colorado Springs and Denver.
    Urban sprawl is definitely no my cup of tea or any nice edible

The changes to the entire I-25 corridor idls actually quite frightening. I am glad to put it behind behind me.
    We're cruising into Denver right now.
    Wooot wooot! The bear clan will have its foist convention. Lol

Rippin da fAt
    Just hop on the bus, Gus, drop off the key, Lee...
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Bear is in! The Bear has arrived safe and sound. We are helping get him settled in at the moment. I thing this will be a turning point for the Bear to get a fresh start.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    When I started fat biking in ~2015(ish) I was 45 y/o, I weighed right at 265 and had a 42" waist (I'm 6'1"). I came from a Jamis with a Judy.

Now I'm 55 y/o, ~235 and wearing 36" pants and could likely go to 34's.

I'm not a crazy as I was when I was younger - but I do try to ride ~8-10 miles of single/double track most days.

It's a healthy habit.

John

P.S. The pic is from my Surly ICT when she was new. Still have her and ride the heck out of the bike. I've added several others over the years, but she and I get along fine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_2288.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    John, all I want is some ice cream...

Welcome to the Bear channel, brother! Love the sweet blue ICT.
    I love the ride of my fat and now freshly added, Mid Fat. Their large volume tires just feel so good to ride.
    The Mayor has been a blessing and best friend since he came to live with me. He's been a major help in my cardiac rehab.

Keep up the good bike rides and extend them from time to time for more benfit yet. And we know how good those tires and bikes feel.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Well the east met west today. The bear is out of hot n humid(sauna level) Alabama.
    Made the long buss trip to Colorado. I feel so much relief from stress.

Ryback 2.0 needs your help! Wade can fill Y all in about that . Ryback 2.0 is sleeping comfortably in the bears new den.

It was amazing to me how much I've forgotten about the beauty and splendor of the Rocky mountains. The various colors each varying in hue. The way that the vegetation changed from the neotropics to the high desert. Texas was really a lesson in variance. At one point in the trip I noticed that no tree was taller than 10'! How quickly Texas scrub tlqland was replaced by the sage, mesquite and creosote bushes. All of this leads me to say, Mama bear approves and her sweet presence is palpable.
    Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good voyage, oldbear! Yes, I was also reminded of the beauty of the Rocky Mtns when I trained through in 2018. Just stunning...
    Hard to photograph out through the window of a train moving at 70mph plus, but this is one of my favorites from the top of the mountains by the Continental Divide:

May your new surroundings be full of friendship, joy, health, and good times!

@SurlyJohn: Your ICT looks wonderful! And you've surely done something miraculous: gone from 45 in 2015 to 55 in 2020! That takes more than work... LOL!

Seriously, the bike really does look wonderful and you're obviously seeing the benefits and enjoying them! Good to have you. I returned to bicycles after a LONG long absence (and more physical hell than I want to bore anyone in the retelling of) in late 2016, got my first fatbike in Spring 2017. The first one was electric assist, the second was my pride and joy for the two years I owned it and stolen at the end of Feb this year, the third is my new pride and joy. My weight's gone from 325+ to 215, and I feel half my age again. I'm never going to be half my age again, I'll take what I can get and be happy for it.

Welcome to the thread and the fun. I look forward to your ride stories!

---
    No ride til end July.

I hope all'y'all have had a wonderful Fourth of July. My partner (of 19 years ... yesterday was our anniversary) and I went to a small gathering of old friends in Sonoma county, at one of my friends' homes there nestled into their vineyard. There were ten people in all, all of us taking suitable precautions with mask and distance, and we all had a delightful time visiting and telling stories of today and yesterdays. My partner drove us up and back in his 'new to him' car: A gorgeous, practically new-seeming 2011 Mercedes C300 that he picked up from another friend of ours for a song of a price. Smooth, quiet, fast, super comfortable and capable on the road... Yeah!

A delightful car, great drive up and around SF Bay from home and back, great time with good friends, lots of stories and laughs, great wine and food. What more can anyone ask for? Oh, a shoulder healed and a bike ride, I suppose. LOL!

Be well, stay sane, keep on going! Onwards, always onwards! G

Rippin da fAt
    Mr Ranger Sir, here!

Took Fred on a jaunt through the area to see the sights of Mount Sopris and a few other locations. We did get both of my Sergeants out on a short ride. Kept it short and mellow since Fred needs the time to acclimate to 6k elevation at this point. Now Fred has had the opportunity to ride a high performance bike and he was amazed at how good the handling and overall ride was. He said, it was like getting out of a Hyundai and test driving a Porsche. It has been good to see Fred finally being able to relax and be drama free.

The 9:Zero:7 project...

We have a frame with a Chris King headset, fork, X9 BB and crankset. Also have a pair of Dillinger 5's that should serve well, year round.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Good to hear the bear is relocated safe and sound. Little steps with that elevation and hills. It won't be long until he's back posting daily ride reports I'm sure.

We had the family here for the 4th and what a 4th of July it was. We got a ride in, it was warm and humid.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1faf.jpg

I was dressed for the day

The humidity dropped a bit and it was bearable sitting outside enjoying each others company. It was me and the wife, our daughter and future SIL, our son and my MIL (doing good) and my sister came too. We were sitting out back and having a few cocktails and talking...... we heard this sound .... not a roar but definitely jet engines. I didn't have my phone. It was a flyover passing overhead. We missed a picture of the 1st wave.

Air Force Thunderbirds.

Next Blue Angles.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1fb8.jpg

Then some highlights for me.
    B2 Stealth Bomber escorted by fighter jets.

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1fb2.jpg

B1 Bomber escorted by fighter jets

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1fb4.jpg

And then a B 52 bomber

Fat Biking and health-fullsizeoutput_1fb6.jpg

It was exciting to witness such a display of firepower. Very proud to watch this.

Rippin da fAt
    Now Fred has been ogling the new to him 9:Zero:7 frame... He's jazzed cause it will accept 4.8" tires.

Our outing today was warm with a thunderheads working their way toward us. Damned wind cropped up with the approaching front.

I think Fred really enjoyed my Sergeant V1 today. That was a pleasure to have both Sarge V1 and V3 out causing trouble. What a good time.

Hey all, Fred says "Black cats and black dogs matter"
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

I love the ride of my fat and now freshly added, Mid Fat.
    Yep, just picked up my mid-fat today too - Sunset Orange Krampus. Single speed conversion starts tomorrow with my son.

Unfortunately, my time with the Kona Unit is now over. My son is taking it as his bike (I’ll make him a single speed convert yet!)

John

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyJohn View Post
    Yep, just picked up my mid-fat today too - Sunset Orange Krampus. Single speed conversion starts tomorrow with my son.

Unfortunately, my time with the Kona Unit is now over. My son is taking it as his bike (I’ll make him a single speed convert yet!)

John
    Sarge III is wearing 3.8/4.0's on 70mm rims for the midfatter midfat! I have my Middlechild setup as a singlespeed and absolutely love the ride.
    Have to admit, the ICT in the blue looks so damn sweet. Just love good color.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Greedtings and salutations to our whole Bear clan!

Before I get into the ride report there is a couple little items that I need to cover:

First>>>
    HAPPY 6TH ANNIVERSARY TO RFB&H!

Little did I realize how much this thread would come to mean to so many of us! From The beginning we've all shared stories< triumphs and some deeply tragic events. from the time when this little thread was mainly to share my own struggle to push past health issues to where it's arrived today shows just how catching the fat bike addiction or bicycle addiction in general CAN BE... UNLESS...
    "Hi my name is wade and I'm Wade and I'm a bicycle addict"
    Yeah I know it's cheesy but when Wade said he was going to feed me berries and nuts does that included raisins?
    All joking aside< some of you are 'old timers". Wade and Canoe are two of the oldest of our Bear Clan< Please note that clan is being spelled with a 'c' as to a avoid any racist ties. Chief is right up there G, you too. Mike Mike Mike... lol... Although you're a coastie I still love ya.. your ride reports spawned a whole bunch more dudes adding longer reports. Oz, Your ride reports from "down under" make us a truly global crew!
    Gino, Your progression in regards to all thing fat is awesome! please keep posting lets keep up this
    thread!

enough Ranting already..Bwahaha111

VERY FIRST EVER OLDBEAR RIDE REPORT SINCE GETTING BACK HOME TO THE HIGH DESERT!

We all have to start somewhere and for me this is a brand new start.

Yesterday Wade and I took a little tour of the valleys and LBS that seem to be everywhere. lots of E-bikes a few maybe? plus bikes but no FAT! lmaorof.

Wade mentioned it before, but I'm repeating the lowdown on what he loaded up. he loaded up both versions of his RSD Sarges and he parked his Toyota at a trailhead that looked promising. I rode the Ver 2 (?) and let me correct his analogy of how it felt to mr. It was like going from a Yugo to a Full purpose built porsche. The air was super fragrant with sage. and the wind was rather nice as it hit 90f. As we headed out onto the trail it quickly became evident how badly my inactivity had eroded both my stamina and bike handling skills. However as we turned and headed back to the we picked up a brisk tailwind. The ride back was mostly downhill and that's when I learned that Sarge is a really well designed frame topped off with the parts package that Wade had used.
    I know that over time and with Wade's guidance The Bear will get back my skills and fitness.
    Until Later
    Oldbear
    Just Chillin in the rockies

mtbr member
    Glad you are back riding Bear. Don't forget you are not at sea level anymore either. That will make a difference too.

Weekend report: This weekend included building a rock garden at the local mtb trail with the Metropark volunteers, kayaking,
    Fat Biking and health-img_0879.jpg
    then returning to to the trail to ride the rock garden and the rest of the trails.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0883.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0884.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0885.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0886.jpg

I have been back on the wagon with respect to eating right (quantity and quality). In the last 6 weeks I have lost almost 10 pounds. I definitely confirmed over the COVID lock down that I cannot simply out-exercise poor diet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    All great to hear, oldbear! You move into a better space. Keep all the good memories, forget all the bad ones. There's no time to waste on that stuff.

My arm/shoulder continues to feel better and better. It becomes seriously challenging to not use it, but I keep it quiet mostly. Yesterday, when F and I went out to get a couple of slices of pizza for lunch, we took my car out to give it some exercise: It'd been sitting for three-four weeks. I almost hopped into the driver's seat and drove myself, but remembered and got into the passenger seat instead.

Another visit to the doc on Friday. I hope for good news.

onwards! G

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Hello all. I keep seeing this thread on top, and think that i posted here a while back. I think about my journey every time someone responds to this thread...

I just found my post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i feel compelled to post here...

January 1, 2016- 5'8", 244 lbs.

January 8, 2016- Purchased Surly Wednesday. Proceeded to ride once a week doing rough singletrack until April, where i stepped it up to twice a week. Then three times a week (30~50 miles) since late August.

Today, December 9th, 2016- 187 lbs.

so, yeah, fat bikes have seriously affected my health, but in a good way.
    I went on a roller coaster ride afterward. Had some ups and downs with some health issues/surgeries and lack of motivation... But, I buckled down and started crushing it. Got my first KOM. Lots of PR's in the last few months. And as of this morning, July 6th 2020, I currently weigh 178 lbs.

That is a good chunk, 66lbs by my count. My health has improved immensely, have not had acid reflux in years. And i was taking nexium 1-2 times daily for over a decade. Now, totally gone.

I owe it all the fatbikes. That and shutting my mouth at the feeding hole, but mostly the fatbikes...

Here is a vide from a few months ago. My excitement cannot be contained...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    Congratz, Rodney! The milestone and goals set the bar rather high however, you persevered!
    Love the green lantern and most of all, Max. Love to see the pix and vids featuring the Max-dog. He's full of energy and most importanly, inspiration for the rides you are doing.

The Mayor was my cardiac rehab specialist, post MI and heart surgery. Fatbikes are the best! Now there is the Mayor and Sarge III serving as fat and midfat in my life to keep the cardiac rehab on the front burner 6 years post event and surgery. Sarge III is the new kid on the block and is doing a bang-up job.

G, there is no reason, whatsoever to forget history and what it reminds us never to repeat... That has many takeaways both positive and negative that we should learn from and progress for the better from.

The 9:Zero:7 project... It is in progression at the moment.

Parts needed are:
    Brakes
    Wheels
    Shifter
    Stem
    Cassette

I'll be checking the LBS' bins for takeoff items as well to keep costs to a minimum.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Living at altitude

I am slowly vetting used to being high... Up that is the other is a side benefit.

As soon as Mr Ranger sir let's me I'm going to take some short rides around town widening out as I feel stronger. The road to getting back where i was is going to take time. Something which I'll have plenty of..

Rodney: welcome back! We have this not so little thread to offer help and more importantly support.

We all had to start some where and we kid each other and we all share whatever going on in our different journeys.
    Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member

Ryback 2.0 sleeps

This is how responsible owners treat their fatties.Fat Biking and health-20200708_193027.jpg
    See how quietly Ryback 2.0 sleeps? And he doesn't snore!
    I'm itching to ride!
    Until later
    Olbear
    Chillin in the Rockies.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344