Fat Biking and health - Page 40- Mtbr.com
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940
Results 7,801 to 7,852 of 7852
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks Surly!

Using CalTrain and BART gives me access to ride a much broader range of areas than I can reach on the bike in a day alone. I have yet to try the bike rack I bought for my car, I just am uncomfortable with carrying a bike that way (I worry about damage to both the bike and to the car!), but with access to trains I can get to a lot of places all around the bay area and even farther. And, given that I now have a senior discount pass for the Bay Area transit system, it's even cheap ...

The photos were all made with the Leica CL fitted with a Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 ASPH lens. The camera is set to capture only raw files, I did the image rendering for this set in Lightroom v6.14 (my usual tool of the moment).

Here's a detail look at the ride route generated by the Garmin cycle computer:

(for full resolution, open this in a separate browser window:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1e91c875_o.jpg )

The Peninsula is actually pretty heavy with vegetation ... lots of trees and such as you move south and westwards from the bay towards the coastal mountains. Menlo Park, Atherton, Lindenwood, and Palo Alto are older communities and a bit higher elevation than Santa Clara, so more heavily tree'ed, but actually I remember looking out the fourth-floor window of my apartment when I used to live in Cupertino and remarking how many trees lined filled the valley on its way up into the Santa Cruz mountains. Trees and such become sparse as you roll east towards the bay's coastal areas (like the shot from the Bay Trail); that's all marshy grasslands, the ground pretty heavily loaded with salty/brackish water.

Many of the trees are imports ... most of the palm and eucalyptus for sure. They've been here a long, long time now. I'm not an expert on the native vs imported varieties... Certainly Live Oak and Redwoods are indigenous however, southern bits of the great North American northern forest.

I've ridden the full circuit—from Santa Clara to East Palo Alto up the 'easy' part (Middlefield road) and then back again via the Bay Trail to the Guadalupe River Trail, to San Jose downtown, then back up to Santa Clara and home—in a day now. That's about a 38 mile circuit, lots of fun.

onwards! G

mtbr member
    Been riding a little. Fall colors have been amazing but my phone camera doesn’t capture it. The Iceman Cometh Challenge is next weekend. It should be a fun time riding with 4500 of my friends.Fat Biking and health-bc6b84d5-4d2d-4b55-abe3-ebde70f414d6.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Doesn't get better, Tex! This year, the phone was prohibido on my fall rides. No cam handy was a mistake indeed. The range of color was breathtaking. Red, gold, orange and a little spattering of green for that official Bob Ross painting to ride through.
    The colors have mostly gone now but with 60 tomorrow and I hafta work at the auto shop, Sunspot will hopefully get a lunch hour session on some nearby singletrack. Pfft! Cannot pass the opportunity...

Chief, how's Mrs. Chief doin?
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    G, great ride report and the pictures are amazing.

Surly, hoping for the best for you in your ride today.

Tex mex, yeah I saw the same thing yesterday during my ride along the power lines. I looked back at one point and the trees were turning and the colors were beautiful. I still have some time yet until the the real color. Going to rain overnight and most of the day tomorrow so I hope the leaves hang in.

During my ride yesterday, it was a nice day. Cloudy and warm, the paths I ride don't lend to speed. Lots of rocks, small bumps, roots, people walking, birding and taking photos; so it was a pleasant ride where I can't push the entire time like once you're on the smooth street surface. I went back to where I got pushed into the fence. I crossed the street there, no traffic, and got over near a lake. There was a dead doe laying off the road and in the weeds. She was beaten up pretty badly, it seemed pretty recent. I felt bad, it looked like she crawled off the roadway and died. I look uo and there is a BIG 6 point buck up ahead, I ride down off the shoulder of the roadway to the dirt and rocks to get a look at him. He sprints around me towards the road but stays clear. I move on but turn back to watch him. They are SO fast and pretty. He stops near the dead doe and walks over to her. I concerned he's going to head back towards the roadway so I pedal up onto the shoulder again and head back towards him yelling pushing him to the brush and wooded area. He turns and runs and is gone into the trees along the PA Turnpike in a flash. I head back to my ride.

G, thanks for asking about Barb. She is leary on the bike. We were talking about it yesterday as we sat in our Oasis (backyard). She said she felt tired and blah, didn't wanna ride, so she was gong to take a walk. We sat a talked instead. She said she feels shaky on the bike yet, it's understandable after her fall. I'll get her out today and ride a few miles with her. We have to build her confidence back up. The fall has her wearing a helmet without any complaints about her hair or anything. which is good.

I wasn't paying attention yesterday near the end of my ride. I was feeling hungry, my sugar level dropped and I needed something. I was riding to a Wawa (PA convenience store chain) to grab something. We have a walking path through town and I ride it a bit, near the store there is a REAL lumpy part (tree roots pushing up) and I wasn't watching. I hit the first series of bumps and thank goodness i had a good grip on the handlebars. LOL

Fat Biking & Health Rider

Post Ride Report-Update on new Crystal Lake Park Bike Trail Project

Multiple ride reports on a rainy Sunday Morning; done in the past two weeks culminating in yesterday's ride through Wharton State Forest, NJ Pine Barrens. The Crystal Lake Bike Trail as well as the Kinkora Rail Trail ride was done near sundown; as these trails are currently under construction and therefore off limits. Some real good work is going on here. This will be a multiple post deal, starting with the Crystal Lake Park trail project, the next being the Kinkora Rail Trail and completed with the third post, yesterdays big ride report in the NJ Pines....

Fat Biking and health-100_4333.jpg
    Just past the Axe Factory Road entrance to Crystal Lake Park, in that sweet light that only October can bring. Air free of humidity and that summer muck that makes life uncomfortable. It was downright chilly for this ride.

Fat Biking and health-100_4334.jpg
    Crystal Lake Park bike and walking trail, looking westward towards Route 130 some half/three quarter a mile away from here. I've posted enough photos of this vista in past rides through this park, when it was just a dirt rock trail for the park rangers and farmers renting the farm space to drive on; as well as fat tired ebikers like me.

Fat Biking and health-100_4336.jpg
    Up at the Crystal Lake Park entrance at Route 130, the trail remains as the basic 6-8 inch rock underlayment, awaiting the asphalt top layering. Here, the trail turns and twists on it's way to coming up alongside Route 130, right along the lake itself.

Fat Biking and health-100_4339.jpg
    Past the 130 trailhead entrance, the trail dips into the forest....

Fat Biking and health-100_4340.jpg
    Before coming out to Route 130, northbound lanes. The trail will now follow parallel to Crystal Lake, before terminating at the junction of Route 130 and Burlington Road, Fieldsboro, NJ, where the trail picks up as a wide shoulder alongside Burlington Road. This will take us into Bordentown, where you cross Crosswicks Creek to access the D&R Canal Towpath.

Fat Biking and health-100_4341.jpg
    This is the end of my trip here for the Crystal Lake Park trail, at the new bike/pedestrian bridge being built at the Crystal Lake spillway that leads into the nearby Delaware River. I turn around here and head back into the village of Hedding NJ to pick up the Kinkora Rail Trail, itself under constructon.....

Post Ride Report-The new Kinkora Rail Trail Project-Hedding, NJ to Roebling, NJ

Having completed the run on the Crystal Lake trail under construction, it was just a matter of heading a bit to the south on Old York Road to get to the new construction going on for the Kinkora Rail Trail. The weather again was cool and clear. Sun down was not far off; a perfect time for the dyno hub lighting system to do it's thing.

Fat Biking and health-100_4342.jpg
    I forgot to include this shot of Crystal Lake near sunset, off the new Crystal Lake Trail. My best buddy growing up in Roebling and I would at times make the walk from our home street down the railroad line to get to Crystal Lake and fish along the lake front nearest Route 130. Always but always we had some great largemouth bass action here. Lugging our fishing pole and tackle boxes, those boxes of ours were full of lures of everykind, flatfishes, mepps spinners, lazy ikes, rapalas, rebels, arbogast, you name it, we had it.

Fat Biking and health-100_4347.jpg
    Hedding, NJ and the entrance to the Kinkora Trail, which will run from here, past the farm fields, under Route 130, down to the crossing of the New Jersey Transit/Pennsylvania Railroad-Penn Central-Conrail RiverLine/Bordentown Secondary mainline.....onto the old John A Roebling and Sons Steel Mill Property and ending at the Roebling NJ waterfront park.

Fat Biking and health-100_4348.jpg
    Just south of the trail entrance at Hedding....pure virgin asphalt!

Fat Biking and health-100_4350.jpg
    Here the trail parallels Old York Road, with it's shoulder for bike riding being a short, 5 inch or so wide extension off the white line for the road way...

Fat Biking and health-100_4351.jpg
    It is here, off Old York, that the trail turn off to the right begins the real and true former Kinkora Railroad line that ran east of here way back in the day.

Fat Biking and health-100_4354.jpg
    From the turn off right, it also begins what is basically a straight line run through fields and farms, until it veers towards the left and the final straight towards the underground tunnel under Route 130.

Fat Biking and health-100_4355.jpg
    A nice little touch, saving this tree while creating a junction around it.

Fat Biking and health-100_4356.jpg
    What stands out for me is the silence. I like that. No damn car or truck noises, just the quiet of a early evening farm landscape that used to be prevelant in Burlington County until the developers came and took this land and destroyed it with housing tracts filled with all kinds of creative names that have no bearing on the land they destroyed..."Steeplechase", "Greenbriar Horizon", "Mallards Creek" to name a few, all fake, phony fraud names to lend an air of opulence and elegance. I'll thake THIS any day of the week.

Fat Biking and health-100_4357.jpg
    The asphalt trail ends here and the graded, compacted and stone underlayment as well as just plain ole dirt trail begins here all the way to the railroad line.

Fat Biking and health-100_4359.jpg
    Here is where the straight tangent former rail line ends, in a slight curving below an embankment of the farm property above.

Fat Biking and health-100_4361.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4363.jpg
    Undeveloped trail prepared for it's stone base and asphalt top layer; followed by the Route 130 crossing ahead.

Fat Biking and health-100_4364.jpg
    At the Route 130 tunnel. So pleased I am with my dyno hub system as it provides light as soon as the front wheel starts turning. At around 5 mph, it's putting out full light with no flickering. The rear led tailight is bright, as per German regulations. It is a no-flash rear light, again, as per German law. Both front and rear lights get the attention of motorists. Never worry about a battery or charging again with one of these setups.

Fat Biking and health-100_4365.jpg
    Just outside the tunnel, west side. There is a short stretch where the railroad trail is about 6 plus feet above grade level as the land is kind of damp and swampy due to the nearby Crafts creek....

Fat Biking and health-100_4366.jpg
    Staging area for the heavy equipment which came off an abandoned road above this area, connecting it with Route 130 Surly In Oz: If you google maps the railroad tunnel, you will find this road a few dozen feet from it, to the south....

Fat Biking and health-100_4369.jpg
    Coming up to the end of the trail where it meets the NJT RiverLine main line. Fading light of day reflecting off the trees. The heavy equipment staging area a hundred feet or so away from here. With the setting of the sun, no breeze going through the tree leaves, it's very quiet here.

Fat Biking and health-100_4370.jpg
    NJT RiverLine light rail, having departed the Roebling station stop a half mile or so to the south of here, the train is making it's way at about 45 mph and building to it's next stop along the Delaware River, Bordentown.

Fat Biking and health-100_4373.jpg
    My batteries are starting to fade, thus the blurred photo of a train signal for this line, indicating stop to an approaching southbound train, as there is a northbound train somewhere to the north, heading this way....

Fat Biking and health-100_4377.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4378.jpg
    At the parking lot/staging area, a look at Crafts Creek, where I spent many many hours fishing on in my youth. With the setting of the sun now, I'll be heading back to homebase in the dark on this former rail line that most have forgetten ever existed here.

Pine Barrens ride will be sent out later on.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Chief: The answer to your wife's hesitancy to now ride is via the wide tires and stability that comes only with a fat bike. And since your at it, make it an electric assist fat bike and I can guarantee you she'll never consider riding a skinny tired analog style bike ever again. Deals are out there for a good fatty e-assist; such as Crazy Lenny's, where I got mine from at an incredible discount. Of the many bikes I've owned and still own after all these years, the Yamaha powered Haibike gets the call every time. It's the best bicycle investment I can say I've ever made in my life....

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I use the transit train all the time. Bicycles are not allowed during rush hour so I schedule around it. Most often then not though I can fit my bike in after a few trains go by or just find something else to do in the meantime.

I have had my bicycle on the bus racks and I am always worried a bump will throw my bike off. Its too bad our bus system does not have racks on each and every bus like British Columbia Canada does. Also the bus racks will hold a 2.50 tire, perhaps larger if you air down, but not a fat bike thats for sure!

Some days I have ridden 90km on my bike, about thats about 55miles. I have even been able to go out of town, by 18km/11miles. I wanted to do a ride out to the mountains which is about 100km/60miles, perhaps this coming spring/summer/fall.

Does your BART train system have different fare rates for the different zones you pass?

Quote Originally Posted by ramarren View Post
    Thanks Surly!

Using CalTrain and BART gives me access to ride a much broader range of areas than I can reach on the bike in a day alone. I have yet to try the bike rack I bought for my car, I just am uncomfortable with carrying a bike that way (I worry about damage to both the bike and to the car!), but with access to trains I can get to a lot of places all around the bay area and even farther. And, given that I now have a senior discount pass for the Bay Area transit system, it's even cheap ...

onwards! G

Saturday Ride Report: NJ Pine Barrens-Atsion, NJ to Chatsworth NJ and back

Saturday was due to be a spectacular kind of autumn October day so what better way to enjoy it but a ride in the now bug-free NJ Pine Barrens of Wharton State Forest.....

The particulars: 46 miles total riding, 98% done in sand pine barrens roads with an average of 8 miles per hour. So here we go....

Fat Biking and health-100_4384.jpg
    Quaker Bridge Road, heading east bound, Wharton State Forest; about a mile from where I left my truck parked at the Atsion, NJ Ranger station. Quite a few trailers were in the lot, indicative of enduro motorcyclists taking advantage of the nice day on tap. This is an old bog. Within the rear bag is my pump, tire patching gear and spare tube and an extra 500 wh battery to go along with the original 400wh battery on the bike right here. Tire pressures at 25 psi (don't worry, Wade, that is going to change a bit on down the road!)

Fat Biking and health-100_4385.jpg
    I'm on the big front chain ring at the bog, but that along with the tire pressure, along with the motor power setting, will soon change.

Fat Biking and health-100_4386.jpg
    So as I mentioned, I'm rolling along nice and easy with the tires at 25 psi. Some of the road patches are in fairly deep sugar sand and as there is no float at 25 psi, it was time to air down. So here is where I aired 'em down to 15 psi (a nice trade off) and the result was immediate in better control in the sand patches, with the threat of turning the tire 90 degrees when hitting those deep sand sections now eliminated.

Fat Biking and health-100_4387.jpg
    The plan was this: Ride from Atsion to Quaker Bridge. Make a right turn onto Batsto River Road. Hook up at Constable Bridge Road at Constable Bridge and head back west towards Route 206, turn around and backtrack to Constable Bridge, hook back up onto Batsto River Rd, pedal into Batsto Village to access the Washington Turnpike, head all the way down to it's end in Chatsworth; double back the entirety to my truck. Here I am in the middle of the bridge at Quaker Bridge with a group of kayakers and canoers going downstream on the Batsto River to Batsto Village, some 4-5 miles downstream of here.....

Fat Biking and health-100_4388.jpg
    Quaker Bridge, Batsto River, looking upstream on the bridge in autumn foliage....

Fat Biking and health-100_4395.jpg
    Not far at all from Batsto is the cut off for Constable Bridge and the Constable Bridge Road. This is the Mullica River, a completely different river from the Batsto in both flow and character of the land in which the river flows through. Looking upstream.

Fat Biking and health-100_4394.jpg
    Constable Bridge, looking downstream and beyond, the Great Bay. I'll go over this bridge and proceed down Constable Bridge Road to see how far I can get as the last time I was here a few years ago, it was flooded out to the west.

Fat Biking and health-100_4390.jpg
    About a mile up from Constable Bridge, the road becomes a sugar sand mess of deep sand featuring tire ruts about a foot down into the sand. At this point, I had powered down to Standard power to save on the battery as well as shifting down to the small front chain ring, all to save power as well as better spin easily at the lower speeds I was traveling at..... I don't know why, but the bright sun got me to thinking of hoping in spotting a snake sunning itself on these roads. Mainly, I was thinking of what a treat it'd be to see a Timber Rattlesnake (a very rare snake, but they are here in these woods) sunning itself. Then I came upon this poor fellow, seemingly squished by the motorcycles running these trails on this day. Poor thing......

Fat Biking and health-100_4392.jpg
    So I thought, why let this poor girl get squished further in it's death? So I went to grab it's tail.......and wouldn't you know it, but the girl started flickering her tongue! I quickly set the bike alongside a nearby tree near a drainage pipe where the snake may have come from within the stream where the pipe flowed; grabbed a small stick and picked her up to set her aside in the woods away from the road. She moved out nice and quick and disappeared into the brush and I got on my way again, feeling good inside that I no doubt saved her life. Which was the case as not further up, two enduro motorcycles came rolling down the path, in the direction where Snakey would have been laying in the sun..... A check on this snake's photos shows it to be a Northern Water Snake, a snake looking much alike a water moccassin, without the venom, but with the same kind of temperment. https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/thr...r-snake.11920/

Fat Biking and health-100_4393.jpg
    Constable Bridge Road-end of the road. At one time, this road was passable to Route 206, but no more. So, I turned around and made my way to Batsto Village and the Washington Turnpike....

Fat Biking and health-100_4399.jpg
    Getting to Batsto Village off Batsto River Road involves a bit of asphalt county road riding, one reason to not want to air my tires down to single digits. But here we are and the parking lot is filled with cars, people no doubt walking and hiking the bike trails and visiting the village iself.

Fat Biking and health-100_4401.jpg
    Some more asphalt riding outside Batsto Village brings me to the entrance to the Washington Turnpike....

Fat Biking and health-100_4402.jpg

Fat Biking and health-100_4403.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4404.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4405.jpg
    Washington Turnpike, NJ Pine Barrens Wharton State Forest. The wind had picked up and spritzes of rain began to fall. A chill came with the wind. Every now and then, enduro bikes would pass me by, riders giving me a wave or thumbs up and me returning the same. 4x4's passing by on occassion. And the quiet and solitude....

Fat Biking and health-100_4410.jpg
    Autumn colors, purple/reds and greens, Wharton State Forest

Fat Biking and health-100_4417.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4418.jpg
    At the end of Washington Turnpike are 3 campgrounds in close proximity to each other, Godfrey Bridge, Hawkin Bridge and Wading Pines Campground. The first two are state of NJ run, the last a commercial outfit. Here we are at the bridge over the Wading River, near Wading Pines Campground, Chatsworth, NJ.

Fat Biking and health-100_4422.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4423.jpg
    These final two shots are at Hawkins Bridge Campground, Wharton State Forest. This trip was a kind of recon run to check these campgrounds out for future overnight camping trips in the future. That's a pretty steep incline down to the Wading River below.

Battery changed out, it was now time to back-track the Turnpike to Batsto, hook up on the Batsto River Road to access Quaker Bridge Road then to my truck at Atsion, NJ. 46 miles total riding.

Hope this gives an idea of some of the sights I got to see on this great run within the NJ Pine Barrens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    I use the transit train all the time. Bicycles are not allowed during rush hour so I schedule around it. Most often then not though I can fit my bike in after a few trains go by or just find something else to do in the meantime.
    Does your BART train system have different fare rates for the different zones you pass?
    Bicycles are allowed on both CalTrain and BART during commute hours, it would be kinda silly not and the burden on connecting transit would be much higher! But during commute hours, the cycle cars and racks often get full and overloaded so you have to wait for the next train. There's a bit of a protocol to how to ask and stack bikes in the car's racks, so that people can get off at their stop without too much fuss.

I don't need to travel at commute hours anymore so I take advantage of the slightly lower prices and vastly lower use off-commute.

Both CalTrain and BART have tiered fare zones ... You pay proportional to how many zones you pass. It's a pretty simple system, and when you use the Clipper card, they do all the calculations for you. Just be sure you have enough cash stored in your account that they can work their magic.

I have been wanting take the BART up east to the end of the line, about 100 miles away, and ride as much of the way back as I can make. Perhaps yet this year...

---
    No ride today: There's a new weather system blowing in and the winds were 20-25 mph with gusts up to as high as 60mph. I decided to watch the trees blow around through my living room windows...

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Mike a couple of great reports, those fall colours in the Pine Barrens look fantastic. And I know that you will make great use of those new rail trails being built, shame they don't leave them as compacted gravel. With all the built landscapes around you and Chief the two of you seem to find some pockets of greenery and wildlife. Thanks for the ride along.

G those winds you mentioned are even making the news down here with the fires they are pushing along. Hope any friends of yours up that way are well clear of them.

OZ.

Surly, you are most welcome!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Gravel Grit Laguna, part one.

Hi everyone well I did take the chance to ride the gravel event on Sunday and what a magic day it was. Saturday was extremely hot and very strong to gale force Northwest winds blowing. They brought down many trees around home and if they stayed around for Sunday I would have given the ride a miss. Thankfully the day dawned as good as it gets for cycling, the winds light to breezy and temps in the mid 20's dec C.

It's around and hour and half drive to the starting point in Laguna at the Great North Trading Post. I arrived around an hour before the 8.30 start time, which gave me enough time to sign in and change into my riding gear. There was not a lot of riders around but as the start time approached they rolled in, a lot of them had camped on a local farm over night and ridden a few other roads on Saturday.

There was just about every type of bike and rider rolling into the Trading Post all enjoying the beautiful morning.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00347.jpg

Plenty of "proper Gravel bikes" waiting whilst their owners enjoyed a pre-ride coffee.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00344.jpg

Lots of mountain bikes where showing up too, and Mike plenty of them the E-Bike type.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00350.jpg

And G the event marshals on course rode some lovely trail moto's due to the nature of the roads.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00346.jpg

These guys did a great job throughout the day keeping an eye on everyone and assisting when needed.

Soon it was time to roll out under police escort for the first few kilometres until we turned of the Great North road onto Dairy Farm road and hit the gravel for the first time.

The starting point.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00345.jpg

I found myself at the front of the bunch after taking that photo so I held on at the back as the fast guy's set a quick tempo. We quickly split away from those behind and as the first climbs started and the pace stayed high I dropped off the grab my first photos of the riders behind coming through.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00354.jpg

I grabbed the next bunch coming along as my plan to get through the day was to save as much of my legs as possible for the climbing to come. A return to a tarmac road section had the pace a little high for my liking and as I dropped to the back of the pack the first of the days E-bikers came along. And as per regs down here E-bikes are restricted to 25km per hour, then the motor cuts out, so this couple on matching Trek bikes provided the perfect pace for me

So the climbing proper started and I knew it would be tough but the road quickly turned into a wall that had most riders in their lowest gear or walking. So it was a perfect place for me to stop for a quick photo

Fat Biking and health-dsc00355.jpg

It was also the last time I had sight of my E-biking friends as a steady stream of them passed us up the steep grades. I did surprise myself by spinning my way to the top passing plenty of riders along the way. It gave me a lot of confidence that even with my lack of riding recently I would make it around the course.

Part two to follow...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Gravel Grit Laguna, part two...

And we are back, at the top of the very step and long road climb was the perfectly placed first rest stop and most riders took the time to fill water bottles and grab a snack. From there we climbed higher through the Watagan Forrest on logging and first roads. It was a wall for trees either side of the track as the road rose and fell it added many meters climbed today.

Some sections where getting a little rough and I was glad that I was on my Troll with nice wide Jones bars and a suspension fork. I ended up riding a lot of this section alone and enjoyed the bird songs coming from the forrest. In different sections the many different types of bike being ridden today had their strengths and weaknesses.

One of the road/gravel bikers enjoying a mellow descent.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00375.jpg

I found a few things to photograph along the way.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00374.jpg

Soon I reached the second rest stop and was feeling great, but for me the best was yet to come. From here the road/track was down hill and out onto Watagan Creek road.

The top part of the track quickly changed into to a very rough track that really suited a mountain bike, and I was passing plenty of riders on gravel bikes with 40mm tyres and drop bars slowly picking their way down the trail. I let the brakes off and let the Troll run it head and enjoyed the ride. I enjoyed it so much that I rode right through the last rest stop with plenty of riders attending to puncture tyres.

Out onto Watagan Creek road and the the farm land and road was as beautiful as I hopped it would be, and the riding too.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00381.jpg

The rain we had a few weeks ago made it this far inland and the pastures are green and the dams full...

Fat Biking and health-dsc00384.jpg

Its a real tragedy most of the farming country down here is so drought stricken when you can see how good it can be.

A few of the riders on gravel bikes that I had passed on the rough trail higher up now found the road perfect for their bikes and enjoyed the flowing road.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00386.jpg

With about five kms to go I rider came passed me at a pace that I could follow so I jumped on his wheel. Soon he started to slow and as I rolled along side he said that he had a slow puncher in his front tyre. So I stopped to help him fix it, he decided to pump it up and try to make it to the finish rather than change the tube. His pump was playing up so I grabbed mine out and soon had it aired back up. I told him not to wait for me as I packed up my pump, as I did not want him to go flat again. So he went down the road as a large cow came the other way.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00389.jpg

The cow did not like the idea of having its picture taken an trotted past me and around the corner.

I was soon on my way to the finish, with about one km to go when I came across my new friend who's front tyre was flat again. So it was pump out and airing him up with enough to make it home. Which is where this last photo was taken.

Fat Biking and health-dsc00393.jpg

We passed on the other side of that field at the start of the ride I did not grab a photo so I was very happy to find us passing again at the finish of the ride.

All in all a great day out on the bike in some lovely country with a friendly bunch of riders, what more can you ask for.

OZ.

Surly: What a fantastic looking day it must have been for that bike tour. Well done on ya for assisting that biker along the way. Your photos remind me of what it must be like out in our own American West. I think the Haibike would have done quite nicely on those trails. Appreciate you taking the time to share your adventure with us!

mtbr member
    Great ride and race reports by Mike and Oz. Mike your a better man then I messing with that snake. I would have steered clear and moved on. A FF buddy just hiked that area on Saturday he and his family did 10 miles in the Pines yesterday from Atsion to Quaker Bridge and back.
    OZ it looked like a great ride. Building a base and then working off of it really helps. Towards the end of the warm riding season I back off the mileage and pushing to relax and enjoy the ride so my legs, back ...everything gets a break and start looking froward to getting out when I can.

Thanks, Chief! I just knew though if I did not move that critter, that it was just as likely to get run over and killed. Just hate the thought of Snakey meeting it's end like that so needlessly. Now, if that were a timber rattler, now way would I be grabbing it's tail to see if it were still alive! I'd just grab a bigger stick and shoo it on outta there!

Atsion to Quaker Bridge and back is a very healthy, long walk, so my hat is off to your friends.

I'd suggest you and the Mrs take your bikes down Atsion and make a day run down to Quaker Bridge....even beyond if she is up to it. The sugar sand stuff could be walked on past; other then that, hard pack sand is what your looking at there. No cars, no bums or addicts....just sweet, sweet wilderness that will make you think you are in Canada. Best time to go is now, when the biting insects are gone.

At Batsto Village, there is that prime biking trail called the Penn Branch mountain biking courses that go off into the woods; another great run you might want to consider trying. I looked at the sign posts they put up; recently updated to not invite any ebikes or pedal assist. LOL. I averaged 8 mph on my run to Chatworth back to Atsion; big ole ebike tearing up the trails...LOL.

Pre-Anti-Ebiking signage, I did bike that trail and made a photo report here a year, year and a half ago. It really is a cool little biking trail filled with one turn after another to the point you are almost getting dizzy from the back and forth turns you have to make in many portions. Not one long straightaway worth talking about on the Penn Branch....

Rippin da fAt
    And... Mike would say, "he's grumpyyyyy"!

OZ, many similar views here in Colorado. Hmmm, G-One 2.8's woulda been right at home on that ride...
    Good times!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly in OZ View Post
    G those winds you mentioned are even making the news down here with the fires they are pushing along. Hope any friends of yours up that way are well clear of them.
    Thanks Surly.

Only a couple of folks I know live up in the danger zones, so far they're all okay. It is always a terrible thing, though, to consider good, normal people who've lost everything they worked their entire life to build, create, and gather out of the blue due to some random, catastrophic weather event. Give you a moment's pause to consider: Treasure every moment as if it were your last, things can change in a second, and appreciate all the things you enjoy and especially the people you know.

Some very nice photos from your last ride.

Down here in Santa Clara Valley, Sunday blew and blew. But yesterday, Monday, was clear and still: It was lovely out for my ride around the loop and lunch downtown. There wasn't much particularly special about the ride itself ... It was a 14 mile variant of my usual loop, about 12 mph average speed and about 800 calories burned.

Speaking of photos, I pulled one of my favorite old cameras out, checked that it's working just fine, and loaded it with film. A 1972-ish Minox C, one of my old favorite cameras that was my constant companion, always in my pocket, for almost a decade from the middle nineties to the middle '00s. The camera, it's dedicated little table top tripod, and a flash unit fit into a corner of one pocket of any bike bag I have ... I've loaded it with a 36 shot roll and made six exposures yesterday. I can't wait to see what I get out of it. (I also had a Polaroid with me and made two exposures at the Rosicrucian society's Egyptian Museum. I've finally gotten a decent handle on setting exposure with this camera! A bit of a chintzy quick scan with the iPad Pro, but eh? I'll improve on it at another time... )

In the course of the ride, I met up with a nice youngster from one of my social forums for coffee. He's a third my age, lives right down the street, and wanted to meet and chat. Turns out we share a delight with electronic dance music and a few other things: he was at the huge rave I went to in March down in San Bernardino, and he's invited me to join him and a bunch of his friends of all ages who enjoy this music and dancing. It is so nice to meet young people like him who are open, friendly, smart, and just get along with them the same way I get along with my old friends whom I've known for decades.

When I stopped for lunch, there were no free tables but another young guy motioned me over to share his table. He's a student at San Jose State, studying to get a degree in Chemistry ... we had another fine chat telling stories about his and my college days, and for me some of the wacky trips I went on just post that time. His friends showed up, an amusing bunch of young folks, bantered a few moments and then they were off. Ah.. so nice!

I love being out there and finding these young folks to talk to. They are the ones I worry about with all the crap happening in the world today, and to the world today. I worry about what kind of future they will have to face when they're my age—what crap is going to be flung at them by the changes in our world's environment and by the stupidity of our government "leaders." To not be doing all we can, NOW, to make the world a better place for their future is a cruelty that just makes me sad beyond words, and angry.

Onwards, always onwards.
    G

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    And... Mike would say, "he's grumpyyyyy"!
    About which, Snakey or those big brother stickers telling me where and where not I can go within the public owned state forest?

The coolish weather may have had Snakey less ornery and more sedate for she really had no objection to be hoisted upon the stick and as she slithered off, setting her down on the sand and setting her on the stick again. Once she got near the edge of the trail, she moved out right smartly.

As far as the signage goes, Ignorance Rules, I guess. The idea that it's instant-on to 20 mph with these bikes, which is not reality but in the low information minds of a good many folks. No problem as the bike trail really is a silly series of sharp turns within a 19 mile course. After awhile, it's monotonous and boring. For every other trail and fire road within Wharton, there has to be several hundred miles total if you count each one waiting to be explored!

Crap weather, rainy, misty, blech for the next several days, I think, followed by a cool down into the upper 50's.

I looked up that Chinese carbon rim you directed me to. Interesting. The selection of solid rims in 80mm are kinda slim. The HED in aluminum seems to me to be a rather lightly built rim and their max pressures are not up to what I want riding out on asphalt. No rush though as I've spent more then enough money on this bike in 2019. Time to give bike spending a break as I figure out getting the back bed off my Colorado to prep/derust/paint the aft frame rails, frame rust repair in the back as well as beginning a targeted renewal of the rear suspension systems, brake systems, working my way to the front over the winter......

It looks like Old Bear's mission of looking up past posters to the thread here has resulted in him too going on the Missing In Action List.....LOL

Rippin da fAt
    Mike, the Bear's AWOL...

Hed is great for deep snow and wrinkly sidewalls but for overinflated riding, dunno how they would take the pressure and pounding, nor for how long.
    Lightbicycle seems to be on the 85mm offerings in double wall designs. There are a couple in the 200 smacker range that would do fine.

MOBD's are downright ass ugly and have a snow/mud channel built in to retain the extra weight a fat bike doesn't need to pack around. My 2014 Rolling Darryl's are very nice looking and shed crud readily. Unfortunately, those went away... Did buy a spare pair through bikeman dot com a while back to have em on hand.

Otso/Lithic $90 per. Yus, they have holes but...
    https://otsocycles.com/collections/lithic

On the carbon rim front, Sarma has a rim profile that resembles the old RD shape and a few other China traders are offering the same for less coin. One day, perhaps...

Weather... Can you say snow?? The Mayor needs out!
    That heavy, wet shit, pfft!
    Doctor recommended...

Wade: Thanks, buddy! There's time for rims, next year. I like to get as much info as I can before making a decision and your depth of knowledge is where I like to turn to. Thanks!

Don't know much about Colorado weather except it turns on a dime, literally in 24 hours from warmth and sun to white out and blizzards. Here in the Mid-Atlantic, things are a lot more predictable.

This weekend, the time for sundown comes an hour earlier, so this dyno lighting setup is going to pay great dividends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, thanks for the comments on my post.

Mike the Haibike would have eaten all of that ride no problems at all. And as far as I know with don't have the same access issues with E-Bikes down here. I did not hear one bad word or comment during the ride about sharing the road with E-Bikes. I was offering each one that passed me going up the stupid steep sections $50 for a tow

Yep having a solid base makes any ride more enjoyable Chief, just knowing you will make the distance allows you to enjoy the time on the ride. My base for this ride came from somewhere I was just happy to get around on Sunday.

Hi Banshee, yep the more I ride the G-One tyres (bite version) in my case, the more I believe they are the perfect mixed ride tyre. You don't notice the tread on the tarmac sections and you have plenty of grip offroad too.

Thanks G, glad to hear your friends are out of harms way. I was planning a ride this afternoon but we have been under a blanket of thick smoke haze all day. The fires are well north of us around Port Macquarie but the winds are pushing the smoke south and moderating as it reaches us. So the sky has been grey with only the slightest hint of the sun. Not great for exerting yourself on a bike. I might see if it brings any sunset colour to the sky later.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTowpathTraveler View Post
    Wade: Thanks, buddy! There's time for rims, next year. I like to get as much info as I can before making a decision and your depth of knowledge is where I like to turn to. Thanks!

Don't know much about Colorado weather except it turns on a dime, literally in 24 hours from warmth and sun to white out and blizzards. Here in the Mid-Atlantic, things are a lot more predictable.

This weekend, the time for sundown comes an hour earlier, so this dyno lighting setup is going to pay great dividends.
    And... Sauna free, low humidity!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    No ride today, no time 'cause I went to see a movie. ("The Current War - Director's Cut")

On the fat bike carbon rim front, my bike came with 90mm outside section rims and I want to keep it that way. I've found Whisky Parts sells a rim with appropriate max 30 psi rating in a 100mm outer width for $500 apiece and BTLOS sells a 90mm rim, again with appropriate ratings, for $221 apiece. Both are double-wall rim designs, rated for tubeless, etc etc.

I'll probably try the BTLOS (https://btlos.com/90mm-wide-26-inch-...ll-carbon-rims).

onwards!
    G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Oz roaming free...

Hi everyone, welcome to the weekend

The organisers of the gravel ride I went on last week sent through a link to some photos of the ride taken by a professional out on the course. He was getting around on a lovely motor bike G.

Having a quick flick through them today I found a rare image of OZ out in his natural environment

Fat Biking and health-72678807_2513161328772424_7950776276476755968_o.jpg

Thats me riding alone enjoying the views over the valley. Its a nice reminder of a great day out.

Looks like I will get a chance ride both days on the weekend as the sky is starting to clear from the heavy bushfire smoke that has blanked us the last few days.

Hope you all get a chance to ride too.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Lookin' sharp there, OZ!

Yesterday started pretty darn chilly (39°F) but by the time I finished my morning errands it had warmed up to a pleasant if cool 68°F. So I hopped on the bike with the intent of doing a longish ride around my loop, as well as getting some lunch.

It was, of course, Halloween and starting around 1pm there were scattered little clots of trick-or-treaters wandering the neighborhoods.

Time For A Good Cuppa! - Mountain View 2019

I had my Minox C and Polaroid SLR670x cameras with me. I have to say, that bag I bought recently ... the Waterfield Design Vitesse Musette ... is really and truly one of the most versatile, best bags I've owned for riding with!

Anyway, I decided to go to one of my favorite lunch spots, the Crema Cafe on The Alameda in San Jose, and pounded my way there quickly. While eating my sandwich and noodling about in a chat, I overheard the guy at the table next to me talking to a woman who'd stepped up. He said he was a photographer.

He rose to leave about the same moment I did.
    "Did I hear you say you were a photographer?" I asked.
    "Yes, are you one too?"
    "Yes, although I'm retired now. However, I thought a photographer might be amused by one of my toys if you have a moment."
    "Whatcha got?"

So I pulled out the Minox C and its table top tripod. He was entranced by it: "The quality of this camera is just amazing!! And it looks brand new! Has it been refurbished?"
    "No, it's a 1973 production model and I had it cleaned in 1996. It's otherwise just the way I bought it in 1992."
    "Wow! And the tripod! A work of art!"

We chatted for just a few moments further as I put everything away. He then handed me a magazine: "This is some of my work, I'm looking for more people to submit work that I can publish. If you care to do a set of Minox photos, I'd be delighted to publish them! My name is Daniel, you can find my info on the front overleaf." We shook hands, I gave him my name, and we'll be in touch.

The plan then was to ride through downtown San Jose, north through Japan Town, loop back south to downtown on the Guadalupe River Trail, and pick up Park Avenue back up through my usual territory and through the university back to home. That's about a 21-23 mile run total including the ride down to the cafe.

At about the 9.5 mile mark, still in downtown SJ, I heard a noise and something felt funny. I stopped and watched my rear tire go flat. I lifted the rear wheel and turned it slowly ... A huge nail, about 3/16" diameter and about 4" long, bent into a right angle, had found my tire. Sigh. Looking at Maps, I saw that Bicycle Express was about a half mile away, back the way I'd just ridden and a little further. I walked the bike there.

As I entered the shop, I saw two of the guys at their work stands trying to explain to someone that they couldn't rebuild his wheel today, they were just too busy. They could have it done tomorrow if he left the bike. The customer was very unhappy and there was a lot of stress about it, he finally left.

"A flat eh? We can take care of you, but it'll be an hour or so ... if we have a tube. ..."
    "Don't trouble yourself. If you have a tube and can loan me a wrench and an air pump, I can change it myself out front," I said.
    "Thank you! I'm happy to do that!" said the shop owner, looking relieved. He handed me the tools and a tube.

Out front there were a couple of guys sitting on the wall, fascinated with my bike. "Dems is HUUGE tires! Wow!" Then two street urchins/youngsters on their bikes came by, "Cool cool bike, Man! You wanna sell it?" LOL! "You can't afford it boys!" They high-fived me and sped off, casting backwards looking glances and they continued rapping to each other.

Turned the bike upside down, popped out the axle and wheel. "You need a tire iron?" said one of the guys on the wall. "No, these tires are so big and flexible they just pop right off," I said as I put my thumb on the bead and popped it free. Just a couple minutes later the new tube was installed and I refitted the wheel and axle, pumped it the rest of the way to 26 psi. Rolled back in the door: "All done, thanks! Let me go wash my hands and tell me what I owe you for the tube."

The shop owner was ready for me as I came out of the washroom. "That's one fine looking bike! You did that tube in record time too! Must ride it a lot," he said. "Ten dollars please." A bargain. Nice folks.

Back on the road, I completed my planned route at a hefty pace, snapped another pic or two of the Halloween stuff around on the way, and arrived home. Time to shower, dress, and my partner arrived ... we walked off to the restaurant meeting some friends for dinner.

What a fine day's ride that was: 20 miles, 11.2 mph overall speed (including the 2/3 mile walk at 3mph...), 960 calories consumed. Lots of fun interactions with people, lots of good quick blasts ... Can't get much better.

onwards! G

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-536cc017-922d-488a-b870-57c427e1db6f.jpg
    My daughter and I are in Traverse City, Michigan for the Iceman Cometh Challenge. I will let you know how it goes for both of us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, thanks G the ride was on a Sunday so you have to wear your best It never feels right wearing lycra on a Surly so I brought a few copies of that light button up shirt in an outdoor store. Much cheaper than "proper" bike kit and just as comfortable too. Your bike has turned into a adventure machine around town giving you the chance to connect with people, just don't get that when you are stuck in a car.

Tex hope the ride goes well and the "Iceman" is not too harsh

OZ.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi Tex I just had a google of the Iceman Challenge, wow it's a big event with a video stream playing now. Looks like a fun times.

If my sleuthing is correct, Kudos to you on a five hour ride, thats a solid day out mate.

OZ.

mtbr member
    OZ, always good to get a fews of yourself at events like that. Nice job.

Tex mex, nice ride. How did you do? Enjoy the day. Congrats.

The weather has changed here in the east. It was 33 degrees F this morning. I had ice on our birdbath. Man that was a change. I rode yesterday, it was cool and windy. Today I got out with my wife (she's still leary). I'm working on it with her. We talk about it and today I pushed a little to make her work and maybe take her mind off of it. Lots of deer out and about. Some decent bucks the past few days. On Thursday I got out of work quickly and got a ride in, the stores in the business district hand out candy from 3-5. I took a run down the street.
    Fat Biking and health-6gb6iafmtjip6jrgc9pbgg.jpg

Fat Biking and health-goa6ldz4rryqz0azvzjc8a.jpg

All the rain we had at the end of the month.
    Fat Biking and health-y2jqypx8tbk1uiexeie%25tq.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	536CC017-922D-488A-B870-57C427E1DB6F.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	1290381
    My daughter and I are in Traverse City, Michigan for the Iceman Cometh Challenge. I will let you know how it goes for both of us.
    Very much looking forward to the ride report!

mtbr member
    I did finish. It was a muddy, sleeting cold ride. Conditions were orders of magnitude harder than last year. I missed my start wave by 1/2 hour because there was an accident blocking the road to Kalkaska, but they have a strict rule about timing to your assigned wave, with 5000 riders they kind of need to be strict. I spent the first half of the ride hanging back with my daughter until we cleared the mud. She was struggling mightily and took a couple spills. But when we arrived at the middle check point she told me go ahead. We had cleared the worst of the mud and she figured she could get through the rest. I spent the rest of the ride making up time and did nothing but pass people. I felt so much stronger than last year and my bike handling skills in the slop were much better. So even though it was not an earth shattering result, I actually am very happy about it.

Northern Michigan is beautiful. The fall colors mixed with snow covered fields were spectacular. Our hotel room overlooked the bay in Traverse City. The route took us through some of the state forest which was a mix of Oaks, maple, birch and pine trees. The colors were intense mix of orange, red and yellow.It was stunning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm looking forward to the Iceman Cometh ride report too, Tex!

Heh ... I'm a MAMIL, Surly ... a "middle aged man in lycra" ... when I'm on the bike. Although the freekin' prices on bona fide cycle jerseys and such are frightening. I wear streety cycle shorts and long pants because they work best, but for tops I now have a selection of really nice t-shirts (and soon, a couple of long sleeve shirts) from Under Armour that cost about half what almost identical cycle jerseys cost and work just as well, sans the rear pockets. The Troy Lee mid-length arm cycle jerseys I bought a year and some back are now only useful as outer wear, and are almost too big on me for that, so I'll need to buy another one or two of them. I bought an "all sport bicycle technical jacket" from Aero Tech Design last Spring that was a bit too tight then—it fits nearly perfectly now and is going to get some serious use in coming months as it is both windproof, waterproof, and incredibly warm while being light and thin. It's almost time for new cycle shoes too; these are getting pretty beat now, 5000 miles on.

--- ride ---
    Time for the Saturday morning ride and Breakfast with the Boyz. It was 38°F when I started out, but I didn't put on the technical jacket because it was very sunny and clear, and due to warm up quite a lot in just an hour. Twas a bit nippy heading out, however.

I made it a fast dash down to the park for the meet up and got there ten minutes early. Fast zip up the trail to the airport then down to the breakfast cafe, inside, and warm again. AAhh. The usual breakfast fun picked up from there until 11am.

Riding out, I ran up the trail again to Hedding and headed East then South through Japan Town. Much warmer although I still had my over-jersey on. Lots of the usual stuff along the loop. I am burning down the last few frames with the Minox C roll.

As I rolled through downtown, I felt a little twinge of hypoglycemic reaction coming on ... I'd had a slightly too sugary pastry at breakfast ... and decided to stop and sit out the episode. Safer that way. I had my iPad with me so I just sat on a bench by the Adobe corporate offices and noodled about online for a few moments with my bike in front of me. And something about the geometries and shapes of the rear wheel, saddle, etc just appealed to me so I used the iPad's camera and Snapseed to make this photo:

Taking a Break on the Ride - San Jose 2019
    iPad Pro 11" + Snapseed 4

Ten-fifteen minutes and the episode had passed, hopped on, and blitzed home in a hurry as my partner and I had an event to attend. Altogether about a 17-18 mile ride, 12.2 mph average speed, burned 830 calories.

Next week, with the jump back to Standard Time, I'm going to need the heavier jacket on the way out, I'm sure of that. I'm ready!

onwards, always onwards! G

Sunday Ride Report: 17 miles in the Lebanon State Forest...

Sunday came with setting the clocks back 1 hour, a twice a year deal of fiddling with our clocks that I hope the US govt does away with once and for all. I had an idea of going south to the Pennsauken NJ Cove Road Railroad Park; but I've purposely avoided going south since one of my last major tire blowouts in Beverly. And with the shortened hours of daylight, something close to home was in order. So I packed the Haibike in the back of my Colorado and headed south and east to Lebanon State Forest, aka Brendan T Byrne State Forest.

It was a clear and kinda cold Sunday but bright with sun. Still, I ditched the helmet for my Patagonia wool winter cap but that alone was not cutting it in the shadows of the NJ Pine Barrens, so I stopped a few miles in and put on my balacava underneath the wool cap.

Fat Biking and health-100_4424.jpg
    Not far away from my parking spot at the park headquarters of NJ Route 72. Lebanon is much smaller then Wharton State Forest but the trick was, I've never been here before. And with the shortened days of light, I certainly did not want to make a wrong turn and wind up somewhere I did not have a clue as to where I was. So, armed with a brochure/map of Lebanon, the plan was to ride to Pakim Pond and look for the red trail, aka Cranberry Trail.

Fat Biking and health-100_4425.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4426.jpg
    Pakim Pond, Lebanon State Forest (NJ Pine Barrens)

Fat Biking and health-100_4427.jpg
    Not far from the Pakin Lake shore line and Park Pavilion, I found the start point for the Cranberry Trail (Red Markers). Looking at the map, if I could find the white trail nearby, I could be assured a longer ride.

Fat Biking and health-100_4428.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4429.jpg
    Cranberry Trail. So far, the trail was nice and wide. Not as wide as Wharton's Quaker Bridge or Batsto River Roads, but it'll do.

Fat Biking and health-100_4430.jpg
    I departed the Cranberry Trail somewhere or the other and wound up on this sand road smack in the middle of a dark and deep Atlantic White Cedar forest. The photo does not do justice to how actually dark the woods were just off the road, due to the close-growing Cedars. No walking or biking in that forest, it was all under water or mud, which is where these Cedars love to grow. Wharton features several Cedar forests as well with similar growing conditions, that is, dark and mucky wet.

Fat Biking and health-100_4432.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-100_4433.jpg
    In the first photo, coming out of the crowded cedar forest, I came into this opening with several lakes which look to be used for cranberry farming by the looks of the man made water control diversion boxes. Going down this road, I come upon this overflow atop the roadway of one bog/lake spilling into the other side of the road and over into another similar lake.....

Fat Biking and health-100_4434.jpg
    Picture yourself on a sand road, with this lake to your right, another lake to your left as well as bog....

Fat Biking and health-100_4436.jpg
    This is the White trail, marked occassionally here or there telling you that you are on the white trail.

Fat Biking and health-100_4437.jpg
    White trail closing in. Actually, this is one of the more open areas. I was too busy trying to stay within the trail that is about the width of a hiker, bog/muck on both sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4437.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	1290639
    The trail really tightened up on both sides. The swamp on both sides of the trail were contributing to the trail being muddy. Roots were crossing perpendicular to the trail. I did my best to stay out of the muck, avoiding the tire tracks of someone who went down the middle of the narrow path. Concentrate; cause those dreaded sticker bushes were scattered about on the trail sides; including one area where I had to dismount and walk the bike, moving some sticker vines off the trail in front of me. Don't want a flat with my tubed front tire back here. Nowhere to make repairs!

Fat Biking and health-100_4440.jpg
    Within that muck/bog, I came upon two young lady hikers. Surprised to see anyone hiking in this crap. Eventually, I gained elevation from the bog and came upon this white trail marker. So I followed it.

Fat Biking and health-100_4441.jpg
    I really don't know how long or how far I pedaled from the muck/bog portion of the white trail, but I was growing tired of the single track/bushes and green sticker bushes intruding upon the trail, hitting my fork, my frame, my rear bag, my legs. the white trail reminded me so much of the Penn Branch Biking Trail in Wharton, a bendy-twisty man made single track trail built within a forest. Had I continued on this white trail, I have no idea if I would have made it back to my truck at sundown. First off, I had no clue if I was heading east/west/north or south except for where the sun was stationed in the sky. That did little for me cause I did not know where I was on the map. So I made it a point to get off this white trail. But before that, the white trail had one more trick up it's sleeve as the markers disappeared among some downfalls that I had to walk around and the trail itself became one with the forest. I wound up near some people's homes within the forest. So, the order of the day was to continue on until I found a paved road and I was done with trail riding within Lebanon.

Fat Biking and health-100_4442.jpg
    The good? The cold temps had the ticks tucked away and warming up somewhere and not hanging out on the overgrowth hanging over the single track. No doubt, I'd have been covered with them had this been a warm day. Biting mosquitos and flys would find these woods to be world class in what they are looking for...mercifully, they too, were missing in action. In this photo, I am several miles from my start point. More closer to Lebanon's campground. I stayed on the roadway, several dirt bikers passing me going the other direction, until I reached the parking lot at my start point. It's borderline frosty cold, especially in shadow, which is aplenty within this forest. Loaded up and headed home.

Not much interest in coming back here. The trails have no historical value as they are at Wharton; instead, they are more for the hiker then mountain biker. It is obvious that the white trail has not been maintained in the vicinity of the houses I came upon as the forest and the low growth bushes have reclaimed the trail. What needs to be done here is some serious cutting to widen the trails, but I never see this getting done by the state of NJ. It is what it is, take it or leave it. About 18 miles total completed, all in High Power, averaging about 8 mph with lotsa 3-4 mph thrown in within the tight single track bog/muck......

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That's quite a ride, Mike!

Yesterday was busy with a couple of out-of-towners to have fun with, but I did get in a nice jaunt around the loop in the late afternoon. I stopped downtown at Caffe Frascati for a cup of coffee and a piece of almond torte in lieu of lunch as part of it, and stopped to say hello to a friend briefly as I neared home; otherwise nothing particularly notable. I was somewhat distracted but kept pushing the pedals...

About an hour's riding time, fourteen miles, maintained a 12.7 mph average, and burned up 650 calories. Not bad for a 'light afternoon run'...

onwards, G

G: Thanks, buddy! Your 12.7 mph average for 14 miles is outstanding riding on your part. It's quite a testamonial to the dedication you have put in, to see how far come along with your riding now compared to coming aboard here. This forum and our personal rides help to keep each other going in our own personal journey. The photos we all include are just icing on the cake.

Nice ride reports from Chief, Tex and Surly. Chief: Looks like a fun time trick or treating was to be had in Bristol. Been downright cold the past few weeks. Wondering how our friend is doing up along the canal. To think of anyone being out there homeless on these cold nights is actually a depressing thing to consider.

Surly: That's looking to be a pretty good climb in elevation, judging by the person at the bottom of the hill. Looks to be a fun time was had by all.

Hard to comprehend the reality of it, but they mentioned snow in the forecast for near the end of the week. Not surprising as there has been a sharp chill to the air in many weeks now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi everyone, Mike thats looks quite barren out in those woods at this time or year. Although it would be better that high summer when the biting insects would be out in force. Shame that the trails are falling into a state of disrepair, oh well if you don't go you will never know.

As for that photo of me that was just a little roller and I was using it to give my bum a rest and the legs a stretch before the big hill that was to come.

G you keep the miles ticking over for the rest of us, your bike can easily justify the cost of a new set of wheels

How are you recovering Tex? Watching the live stream of your race as the Pro women came into the finish there was a whole bunch of people really suffering the last few hundred meters on the little rollers. Some jumped off the bike and walked over them and a few were so fatigued that they crashed into each other and a few of the faster riders coming past that did not allow enough space. It looked like a tough day out on the bike.

Talk soon.

OZ.

mtbr member
    Yeah, there were a lot of people hurting. They do the normal riders in the morning and start the pros last so you can watch them at the finish. Because the conditions were so brutal it took people a lot longer so there were a lot more people on the course with the pros. But what is so fun about that race is that all those people cheering the pros were standing around cheering everyone else too. It feels like you are getting cheered on by the whole town.

As for me, staying behind to make sure my daughter got through the muck left me with a lot of gas in the tank. When she told me to go ahead I spent the entire second half of the race passing people. I actually felt really good and was high fiving the crowd that lined the last mile. I actually was able to sprint to the end. I could have gone for a ride the next day no problem. My overall fitness has improved a lot. Being able to cut loose and climb hills that I couldn't last year felt really great. Even on the hills that were too steep, I was able to crest them and mount the bike immediately where last year I needed to catch my breath.

Even though course conditions were miserable, this ride was the highlight of the year for me. It is fun to be around so many other people who like the same thing, getting cheered on by a town glad to have you there and to be in such a beautiful spot.

mtbr member
    Mike great report, the rain and wind we've had recently has dropped major leaves and branches over the paths I ride. The chill is good to keep those lil varments (ticks) hidden which we all like. I'll have to check on her soon, the cold nights are going to get colder this weekend. I can't imagine sleeping outside in it. That trail sure did narrow and disappear. Glad you got through it OK. Just wondering, do you let someone know where your heading for rides like this? I had a branch drop near me the other day and had a thought about what if that damn thing hit me and I was out. My wife knows my routes and in the fall I ride the canal and lake trails because the bugs are gone and the leaves are beautiful. Just wondering.

G, I have to agree with Mike your riding is quite impressive with some of the avg speeds you do. I usually ride my Fuse around 10 mph depending on walkers, hikers and red light stops. On my Crosstrail I'm faster but it's usually roads, easier trails and stuff. Of course some days are better than others and after a day off or 2 your looking got get out and work.

Tex, yeah hanging back to make sure your daughter was OK was a good move. It stopped you from over doing it early and left you with a reserve. Isn't great when a plan comes together. I did the same with my wife on her first race/ride and it helped her and me. We had friends with us that weren't prepared for the heat or the lil bumps (bridges) we had to ride over.

OK, have a great week everyone. I'm heading to the beach Wednesday for fishing club meeting and a lil fishing before. Then I'm there again all weekend for my birthday to fish with friends. I have a few coming for mid Penna and one from Mass. We do this every year and have a blast.

Surly: Photos of hills in pictures don't do justice to the elevation they present in person. Your photo there though does leave a good hint. I lucked out while lost on the white trail, over by some houses (that have seen better days) or some kind of settlement: while walking the bike in that gully-wash, my front wheel got jammed by a 2 foot long, by 1.5 inch wide piece of rusted flat steel; jamming between two spokes and one of the front brake rotor cut-outs. Pushed any further and it would have wrecked the wheel and then the prospect of walking back the miles to my start point would have been not a good prospect to think about.

Chief, being the Jersey Shore fisherman he is, can attest to the miles of wilderness of these NJ Pine Barrens on his own journeys "down the shore" to get to his fishing hang outs. Vast miles of dwarf pines vistas await, especially on NJ route 72. I have to do some more research as to other roads in that area I can go exploring on.

Tex: What a great morale booster that had to have been, having people cheering you on to your finish. A run, well done! Quite the accomplishment for you, Tex, compared to your first postings here. A testament to riding each day as building a foundation to work upon.

Chief: Yes, pretty much have a "float plan" when setting out. But I don't carry a cell phone and I do wonder what cell coverage would be like in Lebanon or way back within Wharton. Your thoughts though, did exactly cross my mind last week while making a run up Lock 1; that high wind event we experienced had knocked down a very big tree right across the tow path. The last thing we want to be doing is riding our towpaths in those high wind days; cause you just never know when an old tree is going to come down. I don't know about the D&L Canal, but over here on the D&R, there appears to be no pro-active effort to remove diseased or suspect trees along the towpath. They just let them topple and get to chopping them up when the opportunity arises for them to do so.

Have a happy birthday and good luck with the fishing! Oh, and don't forget, Haibike is having a 50% off sale on black friday...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sheesh, I wrote this all before and something on the server glitched and lost the whole thing. Sigh.

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! I am very grateful to the cycling: It's put my body into a wholly different state of being. And all'y'all have been there for me too, supportive and helpful. Vive la fat bike! If someone had said to me in December of 2016 that I'd hop on my bicycle and ride a 25 mile distance to and from lunch just for the fun of it, I'd have laughed. Yet that is exactly what happens nowadays—and I'm not even tired when I finish that ride! Almost miraculous...

Yes, FCC will get the new wheel set. I expect the rear hub will need bearings again by Spring and I think the free hub is also getting a bit sloppy, needs a rebuild, and there are no parts available for it anymore. The BTLOS 90mm wide carbon rims I found seem a good set to try, and half the price of the others I found, so I'm going to order a set. BTLOS has also been very prompt and responsive to my questions, it seems good to work with them. Likely order the rims today or soon, everything else a bit later. Need to pick a finish and decal set...

I'll likely have my buddies up at Trail Head Cyclery provide the rest of the parts and build up the wheels for me. They're experienced with mountain/dirt bike setups with wide wheels, big tires and have an excellent warranty/service arrangement on their work.

Tex: That ride sounds like it was quite challenging! Bravo on getting through it in good stead!

--- ride ---
    I wanted to look at the closest 24 Hour Fitness Super Sport center yesterday, which is right on the other side of San Jose Airport from me. It's about a ten mile distance by bicycle, with a bit of wiggling through some areas I've not ridden through, so the adventure beckoned. And off I went...

The challenge getting here is that the facility is right between the junction of three highways and some very busy boulevards with tons of traffic, AFTER you get to the Guadalupe River Trail and ride down to about the middle of the airport on the east side. I let Google Maps guide me for the run from the trail to the place and it's such a twisty area that even the navigation with that was a bit confusing... No matter, I got there in about 40 minutes with a few wrong turns and then hit the next challenge: It's a huge place and I couldn't find the front entrance! Finally did, locked up the bike, and went inside to wander around.

They have everything. I mean, everything. And it's a busy, busy place too. Very interesting. I walked about for twenty minutes and got a decent vibe out of it.

Heading out to get back on the road and get some lunch, three or four folks stopped by to comment on FCC and chat a few moments. I talked to them about the gym: most responses were quite positive, and I good a good feeling about it.

The route to my lunch stop was through some busy roads too, but on a path that I'd ridden most of before, so not so daunting. Just fifteen minutes and I was eating lunch, then another few minutes and getting ready to leave, when my friend wandered by on his afternoon walk.

I had to blast home after that, other stuff was getting late, and that made it all a nice just over 20 mile run, an hour and three quarter riding time, @ 12.2 mph average. Burned 895 calories along the way ... Felt great!

Today, I have a coffee meet up with a couple of the boyz, then I might ride up to Cupertino area and check out the Planet Fitness gym there. That should be another 20 miler... heh heh!

Onwards, always onwards! G

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Been kinda quiet on here the past day or so.

I was looking at the BTLOS carbon rims I found for FCC, getting ready to purchase, when I noticed some detail on the site about the rim construction. "Hmm, does that mean I have to pick hub and specify that before ordering?" I figured the right person to ask that of was the guy who was going to build the wheels for me, so I hopped on the bike and road to the bike shop in Cupertino.

My friends at the shop are always amused and delighted when I pull in with FCC. They see only a few fat bikes so it's pretty special to them, particularly mine since it actually gets used a lot. Lucas called out the wheel builder, Eric, who reviewed the purchase options on these rims and said, "Nothing special needed, don't worry about it. Any fat bike hub you buy will work fine." Turns out that one of Lucas' friends was sponsored by BTLOS just a few years back and is still running the carbon rims they supplied for him, and they're holding up beautifully for his racing use.

So the rims are locked in: BTLOS 26 inch by 90 mm outside/84mm inside width carbon rims in matte finish with the BTLOS logo decal, red and white. Now onto the hubs ...

Onyx hubs appeal to me for their fast responsiveness and silent operation, but they're pricey compared to either DTSwiss or Hope Fatsno hubs. They evidently also require a bit more service maintenance than the others and weigh a little more. However, I noticed that three of the guys at the shop switched from DTSwiss to Onyx hubs on their personal bikes. Hmm. Well, I don't have to make a decision immediately.

The ride was about 14 miles total, average speed 12.6 mph, and burned 690 calories. Life is good.

Onwards! G

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hello...

Hi anyone? seems like we are all a little busy with life this week

G, I will be interested to see the new wheel set and you thoughts on how they ride.

As for myself the bushfires that have been burning down in OZ the last week or so are continuing to cause havoc. Most of the large fires in N.S.W are starting about one hundred miles north of us, but the winds driving the fires have pushed a lot of smoke our way.

Tomorrow the winds and temps will peek with large parts of the state under catastrophic fire conditions. I had planned a ride on my local trails after work today, however I noticed a track closure sign on the way home from work due to the extreme fire conditions. So riding will have to wait until the weekend when hopefully things have improved.

G, my wife has a standing order for a image in the J.M.W. Turner style for our dining room, I have been experimenting the last few weeks and with the smoke haze in the western sky this afternoon I headed out for another attempt.

It took a little while for the colour to come up in the sky and a few clouds to move into the right location.

Fat Biking and health-dsc02390.jpg

Fat Biking and health-dsc02392.jpg

As the light faded setting lower shutter speeds and moving the camera to get the softness in the image.

Fat Biking and health-dsc02435.jpg

I believe thats getting close to the idea, I will have to wait until tomorrow morning for the good wife to give her impressions

On FatBike matters I was giving Farley a run in the street on Sunday afternoon to spin the tyre sealant around a bit and managed to over shift the chain off the top of the cassette. Now the derailleur is out of alinement so I will visit my LBS sometime this week to get it sorted.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

OZ.

Rippin da fAt
    G, if it weren't for the price of Onyx, I would have em on every one of my 15 bikes. Well, except the two that have Chris King...
    Performance wise, nothing with a ratchet comes in the same universe, nothing. That would be a lotta dosh for 13 pair O' hubs.

Congratz on the new rims.

Now if only I could find some 27.5 x 65's for the Sergeant V3... That width will be ideal for 3.8/4.0 flubber. Don't wanna go too wide and expose the delicate sidewalls to damage from too wide a rim.

OZ, you need to remove the spark effect from your bike before you hit the trail! Let us hope and pray that no lives are lost nor injuries in the mayhem of wildfire... You too, G. Seems your neck of the woods is goin berzerk too.

Mike, no Haibike.... Have a V3 build taking shape atm.

Chief, Hope your B'day weekend was memorable. Ride a bike, catch a feesh, good to go! Oh yeah, a beer between...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I have been out of commission since the iceman. The Framed Alaskan Carbon frame has a crack, I notified the company including a picture clearly depicting the separation of the layers. The situation "has been referred to the warranty department", but I have not received a verdict yet. I will let you (and the rest of the internet) know if Framed fails to honor their warranty. The bike isn't year old. Thankfully it did not fail completely before I finished my ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Tex - Bummer on the frame. Hopefully they will take care of you. Any history of those frames cracking?

Zero off road riding for me. I took a nasty spill on the road bike two weeks ago. Without a doubt, the hardest impact I can remember. I literally couldn't get up for a few minutes. Luckily nothing was broken....Road rash on arms, elbow, legs and bruised ribs. I hurt to even breath deep the first few days. I felt well enough to ride for the first time yesterday. I got in a 20 mile pavement ride on the Vaya. I'm hoping to get the Mayor out this afternoon.

mtbr member
    I did not find a history of cracking in my research before purchasing the bike and the 5 year warranty provided some comfort for me to buy my first carbon bike. Of course I didn’t expect to be testing the warranty 7 months in. I should have stuck with trusty aluminum.

mtbr member
    Two good things today: 1) Framed contacted me and will replace the frame, no issues. Respect for companies that stand behind their products and 2) SNOW: I borrowed my old bike back from my son and took a ride in the first snowstorm of the 2019-2020 season. I am leaving for China tomorrow for a while, so I was glad to get a ride in before I leave.
    This first shot is looking across the Maumee River towards Perrysburg. This is a lot different than the view I posted a while back

A view of the island

Cruising down the twopath

A carving of a walleye, the Maumee river is home to the largest spring migration of walleye in the world. Walleye is the most delicious freshwater fish IMO.

Another view of the river.

The snow was still falling while I was out. It was wet and heavy but it was not too tough to ride in. The Kenda Juggernauts on my old bike are not very knobby, but wet snow sets up as it's compressed and grip is no issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_5785.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_5784.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_5779.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_5778.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_5780.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-img_5781.jpg  

Tex: Safe trip to China and look forward to your report about what you have observed in China upon your return. Sorry to hear about your bike, encouraged to hear Framed is honoring their warranty. Nice snow shots, the first to post here for the new winter season. Wondering where the summer and fall went, though. That weather is coming in hard to the east coast, starting tomorrow, followed by another hard freeze on Wednesday. Winter seems to be promising to be a hard one, if these severe cold fronts blowing in are any indication. Wonderful pictures you've shared with us, there. Quite the contrast from what Surly gave us.

Terry: That is one nasty fall and I wish a complete recovery. Lucky no broken bones occured. Good to hear you were able to get a ride in and the recovery seems to be on schedule.

Wade: Looking forward to your new ride, with pics.

Surly: I feel for you good folks who are under threat of wildfire in Oz land. When that stuff makes the US news here, you know it can't be good and is much more severe then what our news media will make it out to be. Beautiful sunset pictures; although the conditions that helped make the picture so pretty is the result of nature being ugly with it's wildfires.

Myself, no riding since Lebanon until 3:30 this afternoon, when I decided a ride to Lock 1 to Trenton was in order before the bad weather was to ride in later tonight. 22 miles total, including a side trip to the Kinkora Rail Trail up to the RiverLine. Great news as the trail builders have completely paved the trail leading up to the last 10 feet of trail at the RiverLine/Conrail railroad tracks near the north end of the John A Roebling Steel Mill grounds; including inside the Route 130 tunnel. Outstanding work and what a contrast to ride on smooth asphalt versus crushed stone. Working on 9300 miles on the odo for the Full FatSix....

Rippin da fAt
    Tex kills bike, film at eleven... Dayum, Tex, sorry to hear of your bike being down. From what I hear, Framed stands behind their products quite well.

Snow was a week or so ago and the Mayor had to go out and play. Looking forward to a real snow ride and that first moonlight ride of the season.

Mike, it's looking like a pair of Lithic 70mm rims for the V3.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Surly: Lovely photos! Hope the wife likes 'em!

Tex: Ouch, but good on Framed for supporting their products properly. Like to hear that kind of thing. And snow! Practically inconceivable hereabouts other than a dusting on the top of the mountains nearby every once in a while.

No fires anywhere near me this year, they're all mostly more than 150 miles to the north and east or way down south (Los Angeles is about 370 miles away). Not that I don't think about all the poor souls who have had to deal with them...

Wade: Yes, I've decided on the Onnyx hubs now. I don't know of anyone who's used them who has not been delighted, so what the heck? I only need one set of hubs for the foreseeable future so, while expensive, they're not going to break my bank.

--- Ride ---
    I didn't ride either Saturday or Sunday ... I tweaked my left knee slightly on Friday morning and rode Friday: it wasn't happy. Saturday I had a photography event in SF to go to and was out of town all day. Sunday, my knee was still being a little fussy so I decided to take a day off from everything ... and concentrated on processing and scanning film all day.

Too many obsessions, eh?

But today it was warm and summer-like again. And my knee felt fine. So off I want on my usual plunge around the loop to downtown, a bite and coffee over in Japan town, and then home as sunset passed and dusk fell upon the world. It was rather nice to have yet another nice warm evening to ride. I used my high power headlight on the way home ... it does a terrific job.

About 14 miles, about 675 Calories consumed, about 12.6 mph average speed. Not bad for a short ride.

onwards!
    G

Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940