Fat Biking and health - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Another day on fat boy. Got 20 miles of trail in this afternoon and I goosed it pretty good on a couple of the trails. Everyone have a nice Friday and a great weekend.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief said it, OldBear! Now you have the reading material. Did the Mormonaries give you some reading to do? I could use the uabridged editions as well, cause my vision is not so good.

Now you got Sean strung out on a great drug, the drug called bikaholism! 40? He's haulin'! Sean has it sorted now, so you can't be slacking cause he'll tell you so. Good times when the Bears go riding.

Chief, glad you had a ride. My service call went longer than I thought it would so I didn't get one in. Tomorrow will work tho'. I feel gypped!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Chief said it, OldBear! Now you have the reading material. Did the Mormonaries give you some reading to do? I could use the uabridged editions as well, cause my vision is not so good.

Now you got Sean strung out on a great drug, the drug called bikaholism! 40? He's haulin'! Sean has it sorted now, so you can't be slacking cause he'll tell you so. Good times when the Bears go riding.

Chief, glad you had a ride. My service call went longer than I thought it would so I didn't get one in. Tomorrow will work tho'. I feel gypped!
    No they didn't give me something to read But I am starting in 1 Nephi. I used to live in west central Illinois about 40 miles from Nauvoo. I loved visiting the buildings there. I used to do Civil War reenacting and I used to carry a newspaper from thee as a part of my stuff in my haversack.

Sean asked me tonight when *I got home from the mosque if we could go for a ride. Problem is we aren't exactly set up to night ride yet. LOL
    I guess I'm going to get him a set tomorrow.

Well It's time forme tyo take my nighttime meds........G'nite everyone!

Until Tomorrow######################PEACE
    Oldbear and clan>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fred Sue And Sean

P.s. Mama bear's surgery is put on hold. The surgeon can't find a barioatric center that will take her for the tumor removal because they are afraid of her weight.

Rippin da fAt
    My dentist was into the scene. Sounded rather fun.
    Sean's really hooked on his bike! that's a good thing.

Sorry to hear the surgery is on hold. Hope it gets sorted quickly.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your wife's problem OldBear. Hope it gets sorted out soon. Hope everyone has a nice weekend. Keep the fat side down.

mtbr member
    Hi everyone!

Just got back from my monthly foray into the realm of bill paying. Got around in an hour and a half. I did stop in at a pawn shop to check on laptops they have a dell for $99. I might go back later on to see if it's still there. bne of the staff saw my bike and asked where i bought it. Of Course I gave him the whole 9 yards topped by a test ride around the block. He came back and said he is going to get one for himself and his 14 year old son. Yesssssssss brothers and sisters the Apostle of fat was on fire! C'mon now everyone testify! Praise the fattness!

Until later ++++++++++++++++++++++PEACE AND FATNESS
    Oldbear"""""""""""""""""""""""""""Fred

Rippin da fAt
    Are you gonna use that testimony at the LDS on sunday? If that ward is like ours, they'd bust a gut with laughter! Now you are on fire! Does BD have a commission program we need to know about?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    To all on this thread, have a fat weekend. I rode my fatbike 5 of my 6 rides this week. That is a new record. I may do a gravel ride on Sunday on another bike. My body feels all the trail riding this week and I love it. I ride a lot because I like to and right now, I can. Had a ball on every ride and they were all from very fast to mountainous to slow and easy and they all were good.

Rolla is about 6 hours from my home. May have to ride the Berryman trail if I can find the time off. I would do an out and back on it. It says it is 24 miles in length so that would make a 48 mile day and the elevation doesn't look bad.

mtbr member
    Are you gonna use that testimony at the LDS on sunday? If that ward is like ours, they'd bust a gut with laughter! Now you are on fire! Does BD have a commission program we need to know about?
    I don't think so Bro. Banshee I wish they did 'cuz about six people here have bought Fatties from them.

I now have Sean on a multispeed MTB. No it's not fat,but it was free,. IUt's a cheap Mongoose from wallyworld . It's a "full suspension" 26" bike. However, It's cheap and I can afford to fix something on it if Sean mis-shifts and send the the chain into the spokes. It's a 18 speed with cheap tires and one is flat.
    I know that this Sunday is "Fast and Testimony Sunday" , and I really don't want to say anything. lol.

Until later toiday.............PEACE
    Oldbear.=========Aka Fred

Rippin da fAt
    Lol!! It's all good OldBear.

Good for Sean to learn geared bikes. It will be good for when he takes out the fatty geared bike in the future. Glad he's doing well and having a great time riding bikes with ya.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    I don't think so Bro. Banshee I wish they did 'cuz about six people here have bought Fatties from them.

I now have Sean on a multispeed MTB. No it's not fat,but it was free,. IUt's a cheap Mongoose from wallyworld . It's a "full suspension" 26" bike. However, It's cheap and I can afford to fix something on it if Sean mis-shifts and send the the chain into the spokes. It's a 18 speed with cheap tires and one is flat.
    I know that this Sunday is "Fast and Testimony Sunday" , and I really don't want to say anything. lol.

Until later toiday.............PEACE
    Oldbear.=========Aka Fred
    Sometimes, silence is best. Think about it.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert, I was being facetious...Doh!
    And Being a priesthood holder, I'm a member of the LDS...

"I don't think so Bro. Banshee I wish they did 'cuz about six people here have bought Fatties from them." (Reference to "are you receiveing a commission from BD?) Since OldBear has a sales campaign going on. After all, OldBear has made more fatbike converts than anyone I know of. Hats off to ya OldBear!!!
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 05-02-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hope you guys got out and rode some today. I take this day off. Too much going on at work and need a break.

mtbr member
    I got out this morning, 48 degrees & cloudy. First 4+ miles were on the street, then a dirt and stone road thru a lake campground private club for a few. Back on the road for 2 then the canal for a bunch into a park on macadam around that and back onto the canal to finish up 22+. The sun got out for a good it of the ride to warm it up a little.
    Back out tomorrow.
    Have a great weekend everyone.
    Gotta stretch, the yard work from Friday did a huber on my hammies.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

That's a good ride,indeed. Glad you fit that in your day.

Robert, get out and ride today! Hope you are not getting rained on and have a great ride.

OldBear, Hope you Sean and Tom have an adventure today, too. Topping off your rides with food and a good time sounds like something I need to do more of. Next group ride, I will have the group over for pit cooked meat of some sort and fixin's.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief,

That's a good ride,indeed. Glad you fit that in your day.

Robert, get out and ride today! Hope you are not getting rained on and have a great ride.

OldBear, Hope you Sean and Tom have an adventure today, too. Topping off your rides with food and a good time sounds like something I need to do more of. Next group ride, I will have the group over for pit cooked meat of some sort and fixin's.

Have a great Sunday everyone!
    I just got back from my morning foray at lion's club park. I decided to take the Monster out and guve the Pro a rest. However when I got home, I went out to the
    went out to the stoirage locker and found NO BIKES! i called the police and they came out and took my report and dusted the lock for prints. Luckily I keep a written description and photos of all the bikes on hand so they have it to distribute to all the pawn shops and officers to check out. Makes me mad as Hell!
    So we are down to two bikes. That cheap Mongoose and my Monster. Maybe I should have went to Church.

Until later==================PEACE
    Oldbear and Family>>>>>>>>>>>Fred Sue and Sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I just got back from my morning foray at lion's club park. I decided to take the Monster out and guve the Pro a rest. However when I got home, I went out to the
    went out to the stoirage locker and found NO BIKES! i called the police and they came out and took my report and dusted the lock for prints. Luckily I keep a written description and photos of all the bikes on hand so they have it to distribute to all the pawn shops and officers to check out. Makes me mad as Hell!
    So we are down to two bikes. That cheap Mongoose and my Monster. Maybe I should have went to Church.

Until later==================PEACE
    Oldbear and Family>>>>>>>>>>>Fred Sue and Sean
    O.-M.-G.! I am so, so sorry to hear this! Those dang thieves watch you these days and know when you come and go. I hate being victimized. Here's to sending thoughts of "return" to you and the police. May they find your bikes in record time. I know this is heart-breaking but in the big picture of things, health matters most. We are thankful that you are healthy enough to go riding today. Best to you and the Family Oldbear52!

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

I'd say you have been through more than your share lately. Wasn't too long ago some dolts were trying to steal your bike and trailer in front of a store. Luckily that was thwarted. Especially now that someone lifted your bikes from storage. Thankfully you are not bikeless. So sorry to hear of this. Hopefully they get returned to you.

Well, OldBear, you are keeping me busy with prayer. The prayer part is good, the reason for the prayers has me concerned though.

Thoughts and prayers to the Bear family. Best wishes!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Just a thought,

OldBear, do you have renters insurance? If so, you might want to speak with your agent. You may well be covered if you do!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Just a thought,

OldBear, do you have renters insurance? If so, you might want to speak with your agent. You may well be covered if you do!
    Unfortunatly no. But I am glad they did'nt the Monster o9f Sean"s el-cheapo. I guess I will have to buy soime Gravity deadeye Monsters over the summer.

Rippin da fAt
    Unfortunatly no. But I am glad they did'nt the Monster o9f Sean"s el-cheapo. I guess I will have to buy soime Gravity deadeye Monsters over the summer.
    OldBear, It's heart breaking that people can be like that. I feel so bad for you, cause I know how much you were enjoying the Monster Pro. I just hope and pray that you get your bikes back. Monday I'm calling my insurance agent to look into a policy.

Bums me out! Hey, check in with the local bike shops as well. Can't hurt..
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    That sucks. If they try to move them in town, I bet they show up. Fat bikes are still not the norm. Let us know if something happens. Jerks. Wanted to say worse but resisted.

Got this photo on my gravel ride today and it depicts it pretty well.

Fat Biking and health-0503151205-00.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    OldBear, It's heart breaking that people can be like that. I feel so bad for you, cause I know how much you were enjoying the Monster Pro. I just hope and pray that you get your bikes back. Monday I'm calling my insurance agent to look into a policy.

Bums me out! Hey, check in with the local bike shops as well. Can't hurt..
    Sure does stink to have them stolen. I keep my fattie under lock and key and it's insured. Speaking of insurance, check with Velosurance. They are a company that insures bikes through Martel. Most major insurers either can't insure a bike or the insurance doesn't make sense as it's not a comprehensive policy that covers every possiblity. The insurance for retail value of my Pug is 14.83 a month, and covers damage/theft/and rental replacement.

And Old Bear, watch for Craigslist Ads. Here on the west coast, bikes are often stolen and then sold one or two hundred miles away through Craigslist.

I had two great rides last week, one of the best was in and around Lake Tahoe and Fallen Leaf lake. I'm down and out this week as yesterday I wound up with blood clots in my right leg.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Couple of pics from last weeks ride:
    Fat Biking and health-big-bertha-tahoe.jpg

Big Bertha at Lake Tahoe, Valhalla Pier. And:

Fat Biking and health-fallen-leaf-lake.jpg

Fallen Leaf lake with the Desolation Wilderness in the background.

mtbr member
    Damn that's bad news old bear. Sorry hearing that for you.
    Made me go check the shed and make sure everything was locked up tight.

I did some weeding Friday, my hamstrings were screaming the past two days.
    Got a 12 mile ride on today, a lil later and warmer than yesterday.
    Also went to my nephews yesterday for his son's birthday party Luke just turned 4. Gave him $5 for scoring a goal in his soccer game last week. I lost the Kentucky Derby pool.
    My nephews FIL was selling 50-50 tickets to raise money for the local Rotary Club and the scholarships they give away at our local high school. I just got a call I won a lil under $450. SO my fat bike fund just got a nice increase. I'll donate a $100 back to the scholarship fund.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 05-03-2015 at 06:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I will check the local craigs list, flea market, and the Rollanet classifieds.

Sean and I went out this afternoon for two hours on the Acorn trail. It was just nice to ride with him ad see that even though he lost his black Deadeye Monster, yhe still happy.

I tried to post a picture on here of my new 'hairdo' but it wouldn't post on the thread. But I did post it on my profile. Didn't want to come home with some of my head shaved and some not. so I shaved it all. I look just like my Grandpa. He started shaving his head at 57. I won't stay shaved because Mama bear want me to grow it back out to cover the ear.

Tuesday A friend of mine from Saudi Arabia is coming to spend the day with me as I recover in my recliner. I told him abou6t my loss, and he is going to buy me an original Trek Farley that they have at our LBS. Maybe I will just let Sean have the Monster than. Alhumdulilah. (praise Allah) I might try to get him to drop a little more and get me the Farley 6 they have. lol
    So tomorrow morning at 7:15am I will be at the hospital to be prepped for Surgery.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the surgery. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Your friend is so kind to do that for you. I hope the jerks get caught either way!

Glad to hear Sean is dealing with it well. I know it's hard when someone violates a family in such a way. Best wishes to you Sean...and Fred!

May your surgery be successful and heal quickly!

Thoughts and prayers to you.

Now go get some rest!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OldBear,

Your friend is so kind to do that for you. I hope the jerks get caught either way!

Glad to hear Sean is dealing with it well. I know it's hard when someone violates a family in such a way. Best wishes to you Sean...and Fred!

May your surgery be successful and heal quickly!

Thoughts and prayers to you.

Now go get some rest!
    Welllll The big day is here. about an hour away. I am dressed and ready to go. at least I'll return 95.9% whole. (I already had gall bladder surgery)

Sean woke up-long enough to ask "hey dear, Dad? whatcha doin". we"ll check in tonight and leat you know how I am.

Everybody get pout and ride today for goodness sake.

Until Later------------PEACE
    Oldbear-------Fred

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've been away for a while and soon much has happened here - lot of it distressing! But I m glad to see such great support, and such positivity!

Oldbear - you will be in my prayers today.

You continue to be an inspiration to us all, well at least to me!

Hang in there! ....and, as you say - peace....

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Welllll The big day is here. about an hour away. I am dressed and ready to go. at least I'll return 95.9% whole. (I already had gall bladder surgery)

Sean woke up-long enough to ask "hey dear, Dad? whatcha doin". we"ll check in tonight and leat you know how I am.

Everybody get pout and ride today for goodness sake.

Oldbear-------Fred
    Best to you today oldbear52! You're in my thoughts and prayers! In and out, then you'll soon be riding again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Bertha Tahoe.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	985865

Name:	Fallen Leaf lake.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	985866

Gotta love Tahoe any time of the year! Always beautiful! Take care of yourself loneviking, blood clots are not to be taken lightly! Lightspeed recovery and you'll be on that gorgeous road again...

mtbr member

It's Over!

Well the surgery is over and I am sore. Not painful thanks to a heavy dose of Morphine and two Vicodin.
    They took most of my right ear. the Basal cancer had spread a little further than the first diagnosis.
    When I came out of surgery into recovery, It took an hour for me to wake up enough to eat a small snack and drink The Recovery room nurse asked what I wanted to drink, Juice ro Soda. I immediately asked for diet Pepsi as I hadn't had any caffiene s8ince 8pm Sunday night.
    We started talking about how much weight I had lost and how I did it. Of course it led to a discussion about Diet and exercise and that quickly turned into a a pitch for Fat biking. <Yup groggy and drugged up I still wanted to talk about Bikes. She is a trail runner and uses th eLion's Club Park trails. But she has knee problems. So her husband bought her a hybrid Trek bike. She tried it on the trails aty the park but wasn't too thrilled about it. I told her about all things fat and also gave her BD's link. Another potential convert.

So now i am at home and just chillin' at the desk. This is going to be my main occupation for the next seven days. I can't ride or lift over ten pounds and must take it easy. I am so bummed. So I'm still going to post daily

They weighed me pre-op and I weighed in at 235 lbs.

Before I really start rambling incoherently I will say good evening

Until later-------------PEACE
    Oldbear and family------------Fred Sue and Sean.

mtbr member
    Good news that you got through it OK. Follow the Dr's instructions and recover.

Rippin da fAt
    Oldbear,

That's good news that your surgery was a success. I'm glad you were diagnosed eatly enough that surgery was an option. I'm glad it's behind you now and you can recover.
    Will you have to do chemotherapy?

Great job on the weight loss, too!

Best salesman BD has! even selling bikes while under anesthetics! They should have you on commission. Follow Chief's wise advice!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Some painkiller induced ramblings, or could it I'm bored sillty?

Thanks Chief and Bansheerun!

I told Mama Bear the story about the nurse she loved it.

I slept from 4:30pm to now 10:22pm. And I am still tired!
    I am spending my time reading on the internet and watching some fat bike videos on Yourepeat. Saw a really good review of the Gravity Bullseye Monster. Also one on a Borealis carbon fat bike that covered how they built up one for a racer. Cool Beans!

A brother came over from the Masjid (Mosque in Arabic) and brought me a gallon of Ice cream. It seems that while i was under they put a breathing tube in and BOY IS MY THROAT SORE! THe nurse anesthetist told me it was gonna be real sore. I found out that they are right when they say amputees have ghost feelings of the missing part because my now gone top of my ear itches!

Tom came over tonight and brought us fried chicken and sides. My wife said that he plans on coming over Wednesday night when I am a little more lucid, LOL Since going west is out of the question for June He wants to plan a trip to Michigan in July to go to the upper and maybe ride Copper Harbor area.

So how was everybody's Mondays? Robertdavid how much more mileage did you tack on? Chief hows about you? And of course how about you Banshee? Ride any place interesting? How about some Pics?
    Has anyone heard from Marna? Or how about Velobike?

Tomorrow maybe i will post a poem about Utah and the sunset over Slickrock.

Until Tomorrow------------PEACE
    Oldbear and Family------------------Freddo Suzy and Seanie boy.

mtbr member

Name:	Big Bertha Tahoe.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	985865

Name:	Fallen Leaf lake.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	985866

Loneviking:

Is there trout in those lakes? Tbhe mountains in the background make me really miss the west! The last Pic is just awesome.

Until Later =-=-=-==-=-=PEACE
    OLbear ++++++++++AKA Fred._-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    To all on this thread, have a fat weekend. I rode my fatbike 5 of my 6 rides this week. That is a new record. I may do a gravel ride on Sunday on another bike. My body feels all the trail riding this week and I love it. I ride a lot because I like to and right now, I can. Had a ball on every ride and they were all from very fast to mountainous to slow and easy and they all were good.

Rolla is about 6 hours from my home. May have to ride the Berryman trail if I can find the time off. I would do an out and back on it. It says it is 24 miles in length so that would make a 48 mile day and the elevation doesn't look bad.
    Robertdavid: If you do decide to come out and ride I can offer you a place in the living room for a sleeping bag. Annd since I have aquariums out there you'll be "sleeping with the fishes". LOL

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Hope you get some rest and heal up quickly. That was very kind of the Brother from the Mosque to bring a gallon of relief. Tom's a good guy too! Fried chicken and fixin's sounds so good. Sure that gave Sue a well deserved break.

Got out on my local loop for some laps today. The fattys tires were a little low, but made for good training with the extra rolling resistance. Got home and found that I was in perfect agreement with my cats, took a nap. Time to clean the fatty...again.

GO to bed, OldBear! And get feeling better.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Loneviking:

Is there trout in those lakes? Tbhe mountains in the background make me really miss the west! The last Pic is just awesome.

Until Later =-=-=-==-=-=PEACE
    OLbear ++++++++++AKA Fred._-
    You bet---but often they are a couple of hundred feet down. Sometimes you can get lucky over by the dock, but the little alpine lakes are a better bet for bank fishing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well the surgery is over and I am sore. Not painful thanks to a heavy dose of Morphine and two Vicodin.
    They took most of my right ear. the Basal cancer had spread a little further than the first diagnosis.
    When I came out of surgery into recovery, It took an hour for me to wake up enough to eat a small snack and drink The Recovery room nurse asked what I wanted to drink, Juice ro Soda. I immediately asked for diet Pepsi as I hadn't had any caffiene s8ince 8pm Sunday night.
    We started talking about how much weight I had lost and how I did it. Of course it led to a discussion about Diet and exercise and that quickly turned into a a pitch for Fat biking. <Yup groggy and drugged up I still wanted to talk about Bikes. She is a trail runner and uses th eLion's Club Park trails. But she has knee problems. So her husband bought her a hybrid Trek bike. She tried it on the trails aty the park but wasn't too thrilled about it. I told her about all things fat and also gave her BD's link. Another potential convert.

So now i am at home and just chillin' at the desk. This is going to be my main occupation for the next seven days. I can't ride or lift over ten pounds and must take it easy. I am so bummed. So I'm still going to post daily

They weighed me pre-op and I weighed in at 235 lbs.

Before I really start rambling incoherently I will say good evening

Until later-------------PEACE
    Oldbear and family------------Fred Sue and Sean.
    Glad to hear you made it OK. Growing old can really suck! I'm stuck indoors, forced to stay quiet because of blood clots in a vein. Darn vein clotted off Sat.night/Sunday morning . I'm on blood thinners, so the docs upped the dose and said 'wait for it to go away'. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow to see my oldest daughter in Olympia, Washington. I was planning to ride some of the trails in Olympic forest, but we'll see. Maybe by Friday the clots will be gone and I can ride! Taking Big Bertha just in case. Stay well....

Rippin da fAt
    Loneviking,

you best take it easy til the blood clots have resolved. One of those little buggers was the cause of my heart attack. It has left a mark for sure. Hope you mend quickly. Be safe in your travels.

Glad to hear you made it OK. Growing old can really suck! I'm stuck indoors, forced to stay quiet because of blood clots in a vein. Darn vein clotted off Sat.night/Sunday morning . I'm on blood thinners, so the docs upped the dose and said 'wait for it to go away'. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow to see my oldest daughter in Olympia, Washington. I was planning to ride some of the trails in Olympic forest, but we'll see. Maybe by Friday the clots will be gone and I can ride! Taking Big Bertha just in case. Stay well....
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Greetings everyone!

I have been sleeping a lot and watching Fat Bike Videos on Yourepeat. Some good stuff. In fact I had to start a new playlist for more Videos.
    I am having what is termed "ghost feelings" where my ear once was. It itches.
    I am now going to say something from the Bottom of my heart. I you ride a lot during this summer out in the sun, PLEASE WEAR SUNSCREEN! I plan on getting a sunscreen in the neighborhood of a trillion SPF. Really probably the strongest I can buy.

loneviking: Please rest so you can post about your rides. I am wearing compression socks tom prevent any post op clots right now and I am keeping my legs up. I know how much of a bummer it can be to be sidelined and how anxious you get to ride. I am Jonesing right now to go over to Lion's Club and put in a few laps. So please take it easy you'll be back out there soon enough.

Banshee: Let me knowhow your heart is doing.and how about some Pictures of those beautiful Rockies for someone who loves them.

Robertdavid: Where are you?

BeeZoo: Thanks for you well wishes.

Marna: Where are you hiding?

Chief: Just a quick question, Were you in the Navy? I am wondering how you came up with Chief500.

So It's back to bed for me. Evertone Get out and ride. Ans remember the old CB'er saying Keep the shiny side up and the dirtyh side down.

Until Late----------------------------------PEACE
    Oldbear and family---------------Fred Sue Seany and cats

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

The ticker is doing well, although the pills are keeping the rate from rising enough during exercise to let me do a proper wide open throttle ride. I do push the envelope as best I can though.

How are you feeling after the docs slipped you a Mickey and fleeced your wallet? Sure hope you aren't in too much pain. Can't wait til you are back out riding again. Don't let your bike get you in trouble. They can be devious!

Get well Fred😃
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    oldbear, no service for me. The draft ended my senior year of high school after a lottery and my number was high 200's. The CHIEF500 was my radio identifier as Chief of Department of the local Fire Departments where I live. The picture on my posts is me hanging put a 3rd floor window yelling for some tools during an overhaul of a dwelling fire (fatal).

mtbr member
    Well this is the last post for today. Banshee< I am doing much better tonight and i even went to the Masjid for prayer at 8pm. I just spent 35 minutes watching a Salsa demo day video back east in New Jersey. I am in love with a Black Borow the fella rode. It had a bluto on the front and really did rather well on the Ice and snow. He also rode a Mukluk with studded Dillingers. Not a bad Video.
    Chief, Ok now I know te origins of your user name. Neat.
    The dressing finally came off. I only lost two thirds of my ear. Maybe there's enough to support sunglasses when I ride and my regular glasses . I showed my wife and she says now i even look more Bad [email protected]@. The ghost feelings are gone too.
    I have to decide on new tires for the Monster. Right now I am on stock tires, Missions. I am thinking of maybe another pair of Husker Du's. Maybe in June I will get another single speed. It will be another BD bike. Most likely A Gravity Deadeye Monster in Black of course.
    Tom brought over a hardened chain and lock for the storage locker so IF I store bikes out there again it'll make it next to Impossible to get into the locker. I am thinking of putting up some cheap particle board on the inside of the locker so no one can see what's inside. My landlord says it's okay to do it.
    We have some BBQ tonight from a Saudi Brother and it was good. Flank steak done to perfection.
    Banshee: I know I am picking on you but I suffer the same thing as you heart rate wise. I can't even approach my Aeorobic threshold. I used to be able to reach a comfortable 110-120 but now I can only hit 90-100.

By the way Chief, I chose Oldbear52 Because at the time i started this thread, I was heavy and with my f8ull beard friends said i looked like a big teddy bear. The 52 is the last two numbers of my birth year.

Until Tomorrow-=-=-=-=-=-=-PEACE
    Oldbear and Clan-=-=-=-=-=-Fred, Sue and Sean

Rippin da fAt
    Man, does it put the governor to work! I'll be glad to be offa the meds so I can wind the fatty out and see how well it hauls a$$! I had the fatty going Purdy fast on a descent a couple weeks ago. Oh yeah, I'll get some photos on the next couple rides to share in here.

That storage locker kinda scares me! My bike collection lives inside the house where they are warm, dry and happy. I even take my bike inside Wally World when I go to the pharmacy for my allotment of drugs. Last time the pharmacist came out to have a close look at it. Funny to see peeps look at the tires with astonishment. They always have to touch the rim strips showing in the holes.

Sure am glad to hear you are doing bettuh!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    SUNSET OVER SLICK ROCK

I WATCH INTENTLY AS THE SUN BEGINS IT'S DESCENT
    THE COLORS OF ETERNITY AND THE RED ORANGE BALL
    THE CAMPFIRE GLOW AND THE HEART OF IT WARMS MY FACE
    WHILE THE SPECTALE BEFORE ME ENCHANTS MY SOUL
    THE COLORS FADE ONE INTO ANOTHER AS THE COMING NIGHT DEEPENS
    ORANGE TO CHERRY RED TO INDIGO TO THE PURPLE AS THE SUN DIPS
    BEHIND THE MESAS FAR OFF ON THE DISTANCE
    AROUND THE CIRCLE THE THOUGHTS GO UNSPOKEN AS WE WATCH IN AWE OF THIS ACT OF CREATION. THE SOUND OF REGGAE MUSIC DRIFTS FROM A VANS
    RADIO SOMEWHERE IN THE SAGE. THE TWILIGHT COMES AND WITH IT THE SMALL CREATURE OF THE NIGHT BEGIN TO FORAGE AMONGST THE REMNANTS IF THE EVENINGS MEAL. HEY SEEK TO FILL THEIR BELLYS AS WE SEEK TO FILL OUR SOULS WITH THE THE PEACE OF THE SANDSTONE AND SAGE.

written in 1993 on a sandstone outcropping high above Slickrock in Moab Utah.

Peace be unto you........Asalam Alaikum

Oldbear-=-=-=-=Aka Fred

mtbr member
    Glad to hear everything went well. Hope you heal faster than expected. I rode gravel roads on Sunday and lost count of the creek crossings. Fat ride on Monday and got to ride my 29er with new tires on it, yesterday. I like my new Michelin Wild GripR's. Everyone have a good rest of the week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Good Morning Everyone from the West/Left Coast. So glad to read that everyone is on the mend!

oldbear52, What a very, very nice poem. I could feel the colors and the warmth and even hear the Reggae.....Happy for you that the surgery is behind you and you are healing.

loneviking, I know it's extremely hard to sit back and rest, but take good care of yourself and you'll be flying down those trails in no time at all..

BanSheeRune, robertdavid, Chief500, thank you for letting us all "live vicariously through you and your rides!" I'm still in a monster boot after foot surgery and cannot even consider riding for another 4 weeks or so... :-(

Have a wonderful and smooth day!

BeeZoo [Janet]

mtbr member
    Fat Biking and health-sunp0091.jpgFat Biking and health-sunp0038.jpg

See no ear! annndf as a bonus my faithful steed the monster.

Until later-=-=-=-=-=PEACE
    Oldbear-=-=-=-=-=-AKA Fred

P.S. REMEBER TO USE SUNSCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rippin da fAt
    The monster is tempting you, no?

My goodness, they sure did take 90%. Sure beats the alternative. How are you feeling today?

As for another pair of HuDu's, do it. They ride so nice it'll be worth it. You'll be out riding again sooner than you think.

It's cold and rainy today and gotta work, so I hope to get out at lunch time for a shorty. Trails are soupy so I'll hit the streets. Hope to find something to jump while I'm at it.

Have a great day all...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    The monster is tempting you, no?

My goodness, they sure did take 90%. Sure beats the alternative. How are you feeling today?

As for another pair of HuDu's, do it. They ride so nice it'll be worth it. You'll be out riding again sooner than you think.

It's cold and rainy today and gotta work, so I hope to get out at lunch time for a shorty. Trails are soupy so I'll hit the streets. Hope to find something to jump while I'm at it.

Have a great day all...

Si el Monstero Beckons . Lol

I feel fine except for some residual pain and itching in my ear. It is as gorrey as it looks. But I an grateful that Doc got it all and there was none in my inner ear. I slept like a bear in Hibernation. didn't waske up until 8:30am.

I am having a hard time finding Hudu's Can anyone turn me onto a interweb sales place for some? I want to get them before July. We are getting more information on the ooper penninsula oif Michigan.

It sure is hard being sidelined. maybe this afternoon I will take the bikes outside and take a few more photos to post, now that I have learned tom do it. Maybe even get a shot or two of Sean on his bike.

Remeber your sunscreen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until Later-=-=-=-=-=-=PEACE
    Oldbear.

mtbr member

Here's seanie boy!

HERE'S SEANIE!Fat Biking and health-sunp0093.jpg
    he wanted to go90 for a ride but I had to tell Him No.

Until lateR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PEACE
    Oldbear and the Cun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,F red And sean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-sunp0092.jpg  

:thumbsup:Oldbear sez: REMEMBER USE YOUR SUNSCREEN:thumbsup:

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

These guys have em. Universal Cycles -- 45North Husker Du 26" Tire
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics, I think. Whoa, that is a lot of your ear gone. Got another dirt ride in this afternoon. Trails are dry and almost too fast in places. Fatty loved it. So did I.

Rippin da fAt
    Heavy rain today thru the weekend. Trails are too muddy and soupy. Robert, glad you had a dry ride today. sounds fun.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Saw this today. Encourage everyone to have a go.

Fat Biking and health-fat-cyclist.jpg
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Good ride yesterday, cool and cloudy, lil spritz of drizzle towards the end. Went out of a short easy ride. Hit the canal, the lake and it's nature trail and then finished up with 10+ miles that was made harder because of wood chips.
    Sad day today, today is my riding buddies birthday. Mike would have been 61, he passed on Jan 22, we lost him to brain cancer.
    It started as melanoma on his head 20 plus years ago. It was taken care of then. They had kept an eye on it but it metastasized and worked it's way into his brain. He battled it with every fiber of his being. He was a gentle soul, when you spoke with him, he listened and made people feel as if whatever they were saying mattered. He had the best laugh and he laughed easily. We were friends from 7th grade in junior high. Played high school sorts together. We lost contact as we went on to college, got married, raised families. We reconnected through FB about 10 years, got to meet his wife and family. We started riding together a few times a month.
    RIP Mike, you are missed.

Thanks for listening.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

That is a sad story. Hope the ride helped you through the difficult time.
    It has been way to wet to get in a ride the past few days. Hope to over the next couple days, tho' the forecast is not promising.

Robert, you are enjoying the fatty, good stuff. Hope you get some more dry weather.

OldBear, how you holding up? Good pic of Sean. Bet he's wanting to ride really bad.
    Hope you can get out this weekend for a short ride. O know the doc said 7 days, but I won't tell, if you won't!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief,

That is a sad story. Hope the ride helped you through the difficult time.
    It has been way to wet to get in a ride the past few days. Hope to over the next couple days, tho' the forecast is not promising.

Robert, you are enjoying the fatty, good stuff. Hope you get some more dry weather.

OldBear, how you holding up? Good pic of Sean. Bet he's wanting to ride really bad.
    Hope you can get out this weekend for a short ride. O know the doc said 7 days, but I won't tell, if you won't!
    Banshee, Chief and et al (whoever that is)

I am holding my own. The pain is getting less and the wound is healing nicely.
    I went to an urgent car clinic last night because I was having the chills and stomach cramps, Turned out to be an anxiety attack. They gave me a shot os Benadryl and i came home. \

Chief: It's tough to lose a long time friend like that. My sincere Condolences go out to you.

Now as to when I can ride, no until the Doc clears me which should be next Tuesday. Boy am I ready to ride. Out town is small and our group of Fat bikers is even smaller so all the Nurses and some Doctors know me from my daily routine. So I don't think that I'll chance a scolding from my Doc.

So everybody get out and do a couple for me!

Until later........PEACE
    Oldbear and clan.........Freddo, Sue and Sean

mtbr member

Mama bear and Papa bear circa 2009

Here's a picture of Mama Bear (Sue) and I shortly after we moved into our place. We both were really heavy thenFat Biking and health-100_2025-copy-.jpg

Those are Middle eastern clothes we are wearing

Until Later......................PEACE
    OLdbear and Mama bear

Rippin da fAt
    Mr. & Mrs. Bear out in the garden! That's a great pic of the two of ya.

Fred, I was being facetious with the sneak a ride thing. 'Til Doc gives his blessing, be patient.

I was gonna get in a ride this afternoon, but holy mother of nature, she unzipped the clouds on me as I headed down the driveway, then the lightning started up. I decided to bag it. I will get some more pix as the rides resume.

Robert, where's your ride report? Hope you had some time to ride today.

Chief, How was your day?

Velo, that was good!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mr. & Mrs. Bear out in the garden! That's a great pic of the two of ya.

Fred, I was being facetious with the sneak a ride thing. 'Til Doc gives his blessing, be patient.

I was gonna get in a ride this afternoon, but holy mother of nature, she unzipped the clouds on me as I headed down the driveway, then the lightning started up. I decided to bag it. I will get some more pix as the rides resume.

Robert, where's your ride report? Hope you had some time to ride today.

Chief, How was your day?

Velo, that was good!
    Banshee:

It's really trying to be patient. Bjut I will perservere. I am still getting these gjost feelings where the ear now isn't. LOL It itchs and sometimes throbs.

the temperature here in Beautiful downtown Rolla is now 64.7f. Our high today is expected to hit 76f with Rain rain rain. So for me it's as day of going to the Masjid then watching some more videos and doing some light aerobic excercises while seated like leg lifts and stretches to keep limber.
    Aluhumdulillah my arthritis isn't acting up so I am slacking off on the painkillers. I don't wan to encounter any dependence on them. That could be disasterous.
    tom keeps visiitng and has even brought some videos from his new gopro camera. He's has been riding at a place called McGurderville south of Rolla near the tiny town of Edgar Springs. Looks liie a fun place. Tom is talking about going down there
    once I am cleared medically. Maybe he'll let ne post a video of us on here.
    Mama bear wants to lose the weight so she can ride again too. She wants to get a fat tire cruiser from Electra. But that's next sporing at the earliest. She wants a green one with white rims. She keeps muttering something about how uncomfortable my saddle looks and that she wants a comfort saddle, AKA tractor Seat. Which to me is funny because she keeps saying she's nit turning into a senior citizen yet. She had a Diamondback MTB back in Utah with a nice saddle. But that's twenty something years ago and waaayyyyy before all her health issues. That's when we used our bikes as a means of getting around town with everybody riding that was old enough and Sean and his little brother Adam Riding in an old Bike-a-boose trailer. We could transport the two of them anda weeks worth of groceries in it plus I had even transported a big TV in it.
    Sean keeps asking to go for a ride. I have to tell him to wait and he then looks disappointed, but, i think he understands.

So where is everybody? I don't mean you banshee or Chief but I miss robertdavid's reports and Marna k.'s too. Do we have anyone from out on the west coast lurking about?
    Velobike: That pic is an inspiration to me. Keep on posting stuff like that.

Well I will close for now please remember the sun is not really your friend. LOL

Oldbear and Clan---------Fred Sue And our Cub Sean. (funny thing is he;s 29 almost 30)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Oldbear52,
    I started reading this thread because of your comments on the Gravity Bullseye Monster thread. Your positive outlook is a great inspiration, and it's good to see your sunscreen advocacy. Since you asked about west coast lurkers, I may qualify. I'm a little beyond the west coast, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Anyway, I just wanted to say, from one shaved-headed bearded fat biker to another, keep on keeping on, brother!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xbmedic View Post
    Oldbear52,
    I started reading this thread because of your comments on the Gravity Bullseye Monster thread. Your positive outlook is a great inspiration, and it's good to see your sunscreen advocacy. Since you asked about west coast lurkers, I may qualify. I'm a little beyond the west coast, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Anyway, I just wanted to say, from one shaved-headed bearded fat biker to another, keep on keeping on, brother!
    xbmedic:

Wow this is neat! Thanl you for joining our little 'family". You are always welcome here. we are open 29hrs a day 9 days a week 425 days a year. How about some pictures from paradise? Mama bear, Sue, would love them.

Now we have half the globe spanned from Velobike somewhere in Scotland (the brave) to xbmedic in Hawaii. Lets put out some positive energy towards Australia. See who will join us.

Also let's see how far north and south we go. Anyone from north of Minnesota? And how about anyone south of Tennesee? Awww heck, let's see if have any downeaster's from Maine.

Rippin da fAt
    Glad you are keeping yourself active Fred. It helps to keep ready for the moment the doc gives the green light. Any word from the police on your bikes? I am hopeful, I guess. But can't help but to be.

Today I stopped in to see the folks at Twenty2 cycles. They have some poor lighting in the repair area so I am going to fabricate an LED light strip to hang above the work stands. I got cornered by John about the lighting in the fab shop as well. I'll get some pics when it's done. It pays to cozy up to the LBS. They do take good care of my needs.

xb, Hawaii? The riding there must be just fantastic. Pics please!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Robert and Marna are truant, OldBear!

Hope everyone has a ride this weekend!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Glad you are keeping yourself active Fred. It helps to keep ready for the moment the doc gives the green light. Any word from the police on your bikes? I am hopeful, I guess. But can't help but to be.

Today I stopped in to see the folks at Twenty2 cycles. They have some poor lighting in the repair area so I am going to fabricate an LED light strip to hang above the work stands. I got cornered by John about the lighting in the fab shop as well. I'll get some pics when it's done. It pays to cozy up to the LBS. They do take good care of my needs.

xb, Hawaii? The riding there must be just fantastic. Pics please!
    Banshee:

The local PD are still on the case. But with this being on a main interstate (I44) and they think they are probably long either east or west.
    Probably in some Flea market in the southwest or in Ohio.

Yup making friends at the local LBS does help. I like the staff at rte. 66 bikes here.They are always supportive and if theres something i need they usually have it in stock. Does your local make custom frames? You said 'fab shop'.

Three more days and counting.The stitches come out the 12th. And I am anxious to say the least.

When I sit on the edge of the bed to do leg lifts, I used to have a problem with my left leg. Since the mini-stroke in January I couldn't lift it as high as the right now they are even and climbing!

The Itching where the ear isn't finally stopped. I am soooo relieved.,It was worse than having an itch on your back and your wife is asleep and can't itch it. I have a friend that has a couple fingers amputated on his left hand. he told me he can still feel them after five years.

Please Please post some pics, anybody!

Until Later............................................. ..........PEACE
    Oldbear and clan.......................Freddo, Suzy and Seanie boy

mtbr member
    Been busy with client stuff and some early breakfast meetings. I got in 6 days of riding this week, gravel, pavement, and trail. Fatty got ridden 3 of the 6 days. May do a single speed gravel grinder on Sunday. Hey, gotta mix it up. All of you have a nice weekend and don't forget, Mother's Day is on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Fat biking on the Big Island

Here are some pictures from the last few weeks.

Riding on the black sand at the bayfront in Hilo.

Fat Biking and health-hilo-bay-fat-biking.jpg

Near a cinder cone on Mauna Kea at 8500' elevation. You can see snow on the peak of Mauna Loa in the background.

Fat Biking and health-crater-mauna-kea.jpg

Riding over a lava tube near Saddle road at 6500' elevation. This is between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.

Fat Biking and health-lava-tube-fat-biking.jpg

I hope that helps, Oldbear!

mtbr member
    Got a good ride in today in the warmth 87 degrees, did 17+ miles, stayed on the road with my hybrid modified to a 29'er. Felt great, got home and weed whacked and then cut the grass, watered the flowers and veggies. Great day.
    I'll be out early tomorrow, then visiting my buddies wife. He passed this year and the wife and I are running down to drop off a gift. Mike was into turtles, I found a artist that made turtles out of old Army helmets and we got her one for her. We're dropping it off at her beach house tomorrow.

This is ours.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0584.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks robertdavid, xbmedic, and of course Chief.

Those pics you all sent to this thread make it much more interesting. Xb- I love those beach and volcanic pics. I will show them to Mama bear before we got to bed. I am retiring for the night. I want to get to bed early as there is post post-op stuff going on with my sinuses. We are gong to watch Jimmy Fallon's thank you notes and turn of the tube and lights. But I will be on here tomorrow and look forward to MANY posts. I you are a guest or just lurking somewhere on the fringe.........JUst come on in we don't bite and we love newcomers!

*Until Tomorrow--------------------------PEACE
    Oldbear and clan--------Fred, Sue And Sean

mtbr member
    Ok I will say one more thing....Chief I love turtles too.....Great Picture and interesting subject.

Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    Fred,

Indeed they do. Here's their website...Twenty 2 Cycles | Custom Titanium Bike Frames - Custom Titanium FatBike Frames - Vail, CO
    I must say, you are sounding much better. It'll be good to get the stitches out, I'm sure.

Robert, good to hear you have been riding lots. I have been working on a project lately and by the time I'm done for the day the heavy rain has been hitting. Where was it when we needed fresh snow to make a fat bike happy?

Xbmedic, thanks for the pix. Good stuff...

Chief, those turtles are cleverly done! Good temps for ya too.

Fred you can call off the truancy officer! Robert's back! Lol
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Ok I will say one more thing....Chief I love turtles too.....Great Picture and interesting subject.

Oldbear
    Goodnight Bansheerune! Where ever you are.!

Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    Fred,

Here I sit in front of my computer in the heart of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Nite all!

Get some rest Fred!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

A little sinus problem

Hi everyone!

The current temperature here in the beautiful Ozark is 74.2f, annnnnd finally the sun is out.

Today was a quiet day spent with just the three of us watching the tube and cooking up some left over baked skinless chicken breast.

It's 5:12 here as i write this and I wish the tome would go FASTER!!!!!
    I want to get out and ride soooo bad. even though I'd be confined to the street. maybe I will go outside with the Cub and watch him ride around the complex. Sigh

But Tuesday at 11am I should be free to ride and get back into the swing of things. \

I did a bunch of stretching exercises this morning and I will do some this evening. I have an old backpack that i put a 20lb bag of potting soil in to provide to add to my routine with my legs. It does help.

So Until Later____________PEACE
    The Oldbear family.............Sue, Sean and little old me,Fat Biking and health-sunp0083.jpg Fred

mtbr member
    P.S. A brother just dropped off to us FRESH RAW COW'S MILK!
    It is so good and the butter fat sticks to the sides of a glass. Sure was a niceafter dinner treat!

Oldbear and family

Rippin da fAt
    Fresh milk is sooo good! My friend TJ drives over to Rangely periodically for a few gallons. The stuff just puts store bought to shame.

Those feesh are beautiful.

Tuesday at 11...Fred runs outta the dr's office and hops on his bike and wheelies away with a big grin on his face!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Fresh milk is sooo good! My friend TJ drives over to Rangely periodically for a few gallons. The stuff just puts store bought to shame.

Those feesh are beautiful.

Tuesday at 11...Fred runs outta the dr's office and hops on his bike and wheelies away with a big grin on his face!!
    Bansheerun:

As we get ready to settle in and get some rest I just have one (or two or maybe three)

I was raised on Fresh, raw cow's Milk and OLove it when I am able to get some.

The picture is of one of my male freshwater angels. H eis of the KOI variety. H ehas been named "splinter" after the sensi of the TNMT.

Boy you hit the nail one the head!!!!!!!!!! that is if it ain't doing the Monsoon thing here. LOL the monster roklls at noon.

Now for my sack time.

Until tomorrow (If i don't wake up and post someth9ng else)-----------PEACE
    Oldbear and Mama bear------Fred N Sue (the cub is asleep)

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well, I've been behaving and letting the leg mostly rest while the clots go away. No bike riding. The leg did well walking all over downtown Seattle today. I'm up for a few days vacation in Olympia, Washington and went to Seattle today.

It's weird up here as far as fat bikes. They are just non-existant! I asked the Specialized dealer (in Olympia) why he didn't have any Fat Boys. He said he tried, but only managed to sell two in one year. Most run on FS 29'ers of one brand or another. Anyway, it's bedtime after a looong day. Night!

mtbr member
    The wife and I spent yesterday afternoon at the beach with my buddies wife (Dawn). We dropped off the turtle, she loved it.

Fat Biking and health-img_0586.jpg

Found a spot for it right away.

We spent the afternoon sitting in their backyard sipping red wine and talking with her and her neighbor.

Fat Biking and health-img_0590.jpg

SO much fun can't wait to do it again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's official, 20lbs in just over 2 months.
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis rigid
    2008 Yamaha WR250r http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

Rippin da fAt
    Riding fat can do that, Byron! It's been the best thing since sliced bread for me. Weight was not a consideration however, heart health has been. The fatty got me off the hook from cardiac rehab. It has become something I look forward to daily.

Keep it going, the benefits are amazing.

Fred, get the monster polished up, Tuesdays almost here!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Byron: great news! keep at it! 10 lbs a month is good.

Banshee: Kinda hard to polish a solid Matte black Monster. LOL.

For the rest of you: In Beautiful Downtown Rolla, Mo. It's 67.8 degrees and our 'monsoon season' has begun. Rained like the dickens for three hours and now it's over but there's thunder to the west. More Rain! I will be like the foilks up in the NW USA when this cycle ends sometime in the next ten days. The sun will finally shine andI will ask the age old Question that the resuidents of WA and Or. ask:

"
    "What Did we do wrong?"

Until later----------PEACE
    OLdebear and clan--------Fred,Sue and Sean

mtbr member
    Hey ho!

Just a quick note. I just got an automated recored computer generated appointment reminder from my Doctor. The actual date and time of my appointment to get the stitches Is (drumrollpleeze) Tomorrow May 11th at 9am. So I will huit the trail maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Until tomorrow--------------PEACE
    OLdbear and clan********************Fred , Sue, And Sean

mtbr member
    Great news on the 20lbs in 2 months. Congrats, keep at it.
    No ride today, up late last night, tired and needed a rest day. Looking forward to pushing it a few miles tomorrow evening.

Almost Tuesday old bear loosen up.

mtbr member
    One more day OldBear.

I did a long SS gravel ride yesterday with a few knee high hike-a-bike creek crossings. Had a record high of 92 degrees on Sunday. I love warm weather.

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone!

Well at 9:15 the stitches came out and the Dr. says that everythingn is healing very nicely. The only thing is he wants to biopsy a small spot on my nose to make sure it isn't melanoma on the 22nd. But I will take that as another hurdle inmy life that I have to face.
    As to my first ride, like I said it's looks like the first day I will get out on my fatty will be Wednesday.There is no celebratory ride of victory today. I will just 'chill' and do some more aerobics.

Until Later ----------pEACE
    oLDBEAR------aka Fred

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

You lost me at Wednesday. Lets think positive on the nose.

Thoughts and prayers, OldBear...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OldBear,

You lost me at Wednesday. Lets think positive on the nose.

Thoughts and prayers, OldBear...
    Bansheerun:

I wrote that about the weather being rainy at 9:40 am. But noiw at 5:45pm it is clear and I am going to get my ride in.
    Here's a pic of the finishedFat Biking and health-sunp0094.jpg product of the Surgery. yep you can call it either a modified elf or a yoda ear. lol

Until Later---------------PEACE
    Oldbear---------Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Oldbear,
    I used to ride Harleys. That is a bob if I've ever seen one! You are now like an old school chopper. less weight and better aerodynamics.

mtbr member
    tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're only a day away.

Got a fat ride in today. Trail is dry and dusty and stupid fast if you let er rip. I may do that tomorrow. May not.

Rippin da fAt
    Today was a service day. A friend of mine was diagnosed last week with cancer. The following day he received a call from the University of Colorado cancer unit, informing him he had an appointment for today in Denver. David called last week and asked if I would make the trip with him, as he needed the support. We travelled down to the cancer unit with out incident. The diagnosis is lymphoma. At this point it does not look like an aggressive form, but further study will happen tomorrow to determine what form it is. Go figure, Poor guy's warrantee is up.

Thanks for getting out and riding for me Robert!

OldBear, good for you! Ride it like you stole it!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Banshee, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope they are able to treat it easily. My former Deputy Chief was just diagnosed with Diffused Large B Cell Lymphoma. He is a letter carrier and is battling to pay for his treatment. We're having a benefit next weekend to help him with his bills.

Got out yesterday for 13+ in 85+ temps and high humidity hard. Felt good to sweat.

mtbr member
    Got a nice ride in today, I hit the pavement for a few miles then rode over to thePark to check out the trails. They were okay and so I rode a lap or two with some slogging through some puddles but I got a decent workout. Took a hose to the fatty when I got home because Mama said 'she don't want no dirty bike round here!'

Until Later--------PEACE.....LOVE AND FATNESS

Oldbear and Clan--------Fred Sue and Sean

mtbr member
    Nice to hear you got out and rode today Fred. Bet you had ants in your pants to get out on your bike. I know that I would.

I rode some road and some dirt on my new frame from Vassago that I got as a replacement for the one I broke. They did a half-price frame replacement and I used that bike for ten years. What a great company and I love their frames. I also own one of their TI SS bikes. I set this one up 32x16 and used it on gravel on Sunday and on the road and trail today. I made every climb that I make on my geared bikes except for two on the gravel and on on the local trail. The gravel ones are about 20 to 25% gradient so would need one or two more teeth in the rear but would be spun out on too much of the ride.

Hope you get out more OldBear and that your health issues settle down for awhile. I just had to brush off my bike today.

here is a link to Vassago's fatty frame and build kits. VerFetten Fatbike Frame I need to start saving up for a single speed fatty. Would be awesome imho.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Thanks for your consideration. Dave had another biopsy today. we will have news Friday or Monday.

OldBear, hope your ride brought a really big grin to your mug! How are you feeling?

Robert, a ss fatty would be fun as it gets! Glad they hooked you up on a replacement.
    Pix?!?!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Banshee: I pray that you friend comes through these trials weoll and comes out the otherside cancer free!

Robert: That Ti SS sounds ssweet! I hope you post some pics of it.

Today was a gorgeous day! The temp is 75.6 and there's not a cloud in the sky. I was able to get in a ride this afternoon. Put in two laps and worked up a real sweat. If and I mean IF the weather holds, God willing, I hope to get in lots more saddle time. tomorrow. I am going to do a little neighborhood ride with Sean tonight . just back and forth up and down the street. Nothing serious, unless we get a ride to Lion's Club. but I don't trust that walmart bike on the trails. So maybe not. lol.

I had a three month check today at the dr.'s. Unfortunately my A1C didn't look good so they added another med to my routine. An injectable one called "Victoza". I read the possible side effects and I really don't know if I really want to take it. One of them is something to do with the Thyroid. to quote Jimmy fallon "ewwwwwwww"

Until later tonight-------PEACE-LOVE AND -FATNESS
    Oldebear and clan----------Fred Sue and Seanie.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

We will know more about David's condition soon. Thanx for the prayers. It seems we are all falling apart these days. Some of these meds have side effects that make ya not wanna fill the script.

Hope you and Sean have a good ride tonite! That weather sounds wonderful.

Robert, that new bike, I wanna take it out for a ride! Enjoy it in good health, Sir!

Now we have to get Chief in trouble with the Mrs. by enticing him to go get the fatty!
    Oh, Hi Chief! Did I just say that?!?!
    lol
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Good fat ride this afternoon. Now here is a pic of the new replacement frame built up with the parts off the old frame. It rides sweet.

Fat Biking and health-0509151851-00.jpg
    Last edited by robertdavid; 05-18-2015 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member

Three days of rain ahead1

Just when the trails get all dried out and nice the Weather forecast calls for rain tonight thru Friday night. Then Partly cloudy for Saturday with a high of 85f.

I just want to get in much saddle time before summer starts in full swing with all it's humidity and heat that will keep me inside and grumpy. Mama bear no likee when Papa bear gets his grump on
    I know I have related this before but with my Heart Failure I cant go out in heat over 95f and reaoll nothing below 22f.

I have been looking at the LBS at some pedals and a cycling computer. They are a little pricey there so I am going to look at the internet to see what kind of deals I can get.

Seanie and I didn't get to go out tonight. He's had a fever today and has been laying down and sleeping. Poor guy really can't tell us how he is really feeling so I have to just give him some tylenol and some cold pills and hope for the best. So please remember him tonight.

If the rain holds off tomorrow I will ride the paved bike path and get about 24 miles in as the path is 12 miles one way.

Until Tomorrow---------PEACE - LOVE AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Family---------(Fred Sue and Sean)

mtbr member
    Just none more thing. Today after my workout and on the way home, I stopped at Kroger's to pick Mama up some Icecream. As I came out of the store, there was a little kid and his grandpa (My Age) Looking at the Monster. He asked all the usual questions and ofcourse I replied that this bike is called a fat bike. He asked to life it and then remarked how muchnlighter is was than one he looked at Walltworld (read Dolomite) I told him whre I bought mine from and gave him BD's web address and he said he was going to seriously look at them. Then I told him how much weight I'sd,lost so farz and he said "I HAVe to get me one of these!" And His wife agreed.

Until Tomorrow--------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    Had a minor change of plans tonight. Went over to David's to perform a healing blessing on him.

Our weather outlook is Purdy crummy for the next 5 days. I'll get some riding in between rain and wind storms...I hope.

OldBear is on the BD payroll as a salesman! Go OldBear... Hope they do get a fatty. might just be another rider in your riding group soon.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Had a minor change of plans tonight. Went over to David's to perform a healing blessing on him.

Our weather outlook is Purdy crummy for the next 5 days. I'll get some riding in between rain and wind storms...I hope.

OldBear is on the BD payroll as a salesman! Go OldBear... Hope they do get a fatty. might just be another rider in your riding group soon.
    I will also pray for David too. Cancer is nothing to play around with. I ;lost both my parents to it and I am now a cancer survivor also. Prays are being said all over for David.

Our weather outlook has changed here in the Ozarks. (Very small Mountains)
    The weather has changed from threee days of rain to a chance of rain. The temps are going to be in the mid to high 70's for the next cou-le of days so i am going to get out and ride.

Except for today. What ever 24hr bug Sean had I now have. So I didn't get out and do my thing. My temp is 100.9 and my head feels like a bowling ball to quote Mama. I am slowly getting over this, God willing.

Until later------(If I am awake)----PEACE-LOVE-AND-FATNESS

oLDBEAR, (SNIFF SNIFF)

mtbr member
    Good fat ride this afternoon. Now here is a pic of the new replacement frame built up with the parts of the old frame. It rides sweet.

Name:	0509151851-00.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	988211
    SWEEEEET! I wanna try it out! What's the biggest tire it'll take? Surly is making some 29ner tire called Dirt Wizards.
    Just kidding!

Oldbear

mtbr member
    OldBear,
    Now we have to get Chief in trouble with the Mrs. by enticing him to go get the fatty!
    Oh, Hi Chief! Did I just say that?!?!
    lol
    LOL, funny how things work out. Yesterday I left work early to get a ride in because we were going to a show in Philly. Got it done, showered, got the wife and my niece and her hubby and headed into the city. Had dinner at one of my favorite crab places in Philly. We got done and hit the show. It wasn't very good, the people watching was MUCH better then the show. We bailed after a few songs. We dropped off the niece and Hec and hit a local establishment for a few cocktails since I was off today. We walked in and a retired firefighter friend was there (normal). We talked, as usual and he asked if we were interested in purchasing his shore house from him in a year or 2. Gonna take some saving but we'll give it a shot. Being on the beach (fishing) is something we're interested in.

SO, I may need to make a move on the fattie pretty soon so I have it prior to the spending embargo. Gonna talk to the lbs thos weekend to see what frame colors are available.
    LOL

Prayers and good thoughts going out for David.

mtbr member
    I think my Vassago will take a 2.4 inch tire, max. I mainly ride it on the roads with 38mm slicks and on gravel and dirt with 2.2 to 2.4 inch tires. I love the way it rides. However, I love riding my fatty on the trail more than any bike I ride. Sigh.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanx for the prayers guys. Much appreciated.

Get feeling better OldBear. getting sick just sux.

Chief, as long as you can do it before the ways & means committee puts the kybosh on it, you're doin' all right. Hope to hear of the good times you'll have as you get aquainted with it. the fun part is sorting out the tire pressure cause they run low compared to regular bikes. They sure are fun to ride. It kinda brings back your youth, when riding a bike gave you such a big smile. Welcome to the time machine of bikes...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    (I had a decent ride this morning. But on the way home the humidity hit up to90% and I felt like hit the wall. I had some chest discomfort and some abdominal pain that was unreal. So while I was sitting in my chair I took some nitro and the chest pain or discomfort subsided to a point where I could talk to Mama Bear. Being that I have a real issue with my heart coupled with the fact that even after 30 minutes I was sweating buckets, Mama bear called the ambulance. I was going in to the ER as a patient with a history of heart related issues. Of course the nurses hurried upand got me all hooked up to every monitor, blood pressure cuff, oxygen monitor and an IV. ut that;s where the care where south. They assigned me to a 'doctor' that basically doesn't really care and views patients on an assembly line basis. After almost two hours he made his appearance. Poked and prodded me a little and Then just disappeared. I had to9 use the call light several times to get any sort of relief for the pain but that's all I received in treatment. Then after the Morphine took effect and the pain in my chest had subsided, I began to have these abdominal pains from HELL. I called for my nurse at least three times laying on my side in the fetal position and all she would say is "the 'doctor' will be told, honey' , but this issues was never addressed except when he told me to "take a laxative. you'll be OKAY I am sending you home." So in pain and totally pissed off I went home to live with this pain. So now Mama Bear says to wait until the 'doctor's' shift end s at eleven and if I still have this pain to call the Ambulance then. I have had to deal with this QUACK several times in the past and at least twice I had to return to the ER and wound up in the hospital on the very issue he just dismissed as 'non cardiac related chest pain', as it turned out to really be the case.. I think this time if I wind up being hospitalized because of his lack of care I will sue his pants off for malpractice! Maybe than they'll fire him and we'll be able to move west once again in order to get away from this killer heat and humidity. So if you ever come to rolla for a ride, avoid the ER or at least if you consider the 'doctor's ' care substandard ask for another Doctor.

Thanks y'all for letting me vent.

Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

You can lodge a complaint with the state regarding the doc. No one should have to tolerate substandard care. Thank God you weren't having a more serious issue than you were. Now that Your rant has concluded, how are you feeling? I hope you don't push yourself too hard when the heat and humidity are up. As always, listen carefully to what your body is telling you.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    (I had a decent ride this morning. But on the way home the humidity hit up to90% and I felt like hit the wall. I had some chest discomfort and some abdominal pain that was unreal. So while I was sitting in my chair I took some nitro and the chest pain or discomfort subsided to a point where I could talk to Mama Bear. Being that I have a real issue with my heart coupled with the fact that even after 30 minutes I was sweating buckets, Mama bear called the ambulance. I was going in to the ER as a patient with a history of heart related issues. Of course the nurses hurried upand got me all hooked up to every monitor, blood pressure cuff, oxygen monitor and an IV. ut that;s where the care where south. They assigned me to a 'doctor' that basically doesn't really care and views patients on an assembly line basis. After almost two hours he made his appearance. Poked and prodded me a little and Then just disappeared. I had to9 use the call light several times to get any sort of relief for the pain but that's all I received in treatment. Then after the Morphine took effect and the pain in my chest had subsided, I began to have these abdominal pains from HELL. I called for my nurse at least three times laying on my side in the fetal position and all she would say is "the 'doctor' will be told, honey' , but this issues was never addressed except when he told me to "take a laxative. you'll be OKAY I am sending you home." So in pain and totally pissed off I went home to live with this pain. So now Mama Bear says to wait until the 'doctor's' shift end s at eleven and if I still have this pain to call the Ambulance then. I have had to deal with this QUACK several times in the past and at least twice I had to return to the ER and wound up in the hospital on the very issue he just dismissed as 'non cardiac related chest pain', as it turned out to really be the case.. I think this time if I wind up being hospitalized because of his lack of care I will sue his pants off for malpractice! Maybe than they'll fire him and we'll be able to move west once again in order to get away from this killer heat and humidity. So if you ever come to rolla for a ride, avoid the ER or at least if you consider the 'doctor's ' care substandard ask for another Doctor.

Thanks y'all for letting me vent.

Oldbear

Oh yeah as far as having to go into the hosptial because of his misdiagnosis IN 2009 I wound up with a pacemaker because I had a heart attack that did all the damage the very night after he just patted me on the head and said it was 'non-cardiac related chest pain'

Anyway how is everyone else?

Banshee: Isee you have some pretty sucky weather out your way> I hope it breaks soon, God Willing. And How's David holding up? Give me some news.

Robert: Love that bike. Put lots of miles on it but, more on your fatty.

Chief: I hope you get your fatty soon! I think that 'once you try fat, you'll never go back'

our = awol list is: Marna, the medic in Hawaii, and whtever one you all can remember. Maybe if we talk about them they'll answer. LOL

Please forgive my explitives in my last post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Oldbear,

I have been reading and riding. I can't for the life of me get any of my pictures to post.

I rode up on Mauna Kea at 9200' elevation on the a trail on Monday. I was trying to get up above the clouds to be out of the rain, but some of the clouds brought fog and mist to that elevation. Temperatures were in the high 40s. I rode 6 miles on loose rock and gravel with over 1000' of elevation change. My legs and lungs were burning.

I went riding at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Wednesday. 15 miles in the wind and rain at 4000' elevation with temperatures in the low 60s. I was soaking wet but the sun came out for just a few minutes so I got this picture.Fat Biking and health-kilauea-biking.jpg
    That is Halema'uma'u crater in the Kilauea caldera. The smoke is from an active lava flow at the floor of the crater. Every so often you can hear the sounds of rocks exploding as they get superheated by the rising magma.

I took some pictures from the helicopter when we were coming back from a medivac flight the other day. I will try to post some of those soon.

mtbr member
    OldBear,

You can lodge a complaint with the state regarding the doc. No one should have to tolerate substandard care. Thank God you weren't having a more serious issue than you were. Now that Your rant has concluded, how are you feeling? I hope you don't push yourself too hard when the heat and humidity are up. As always, listen carefully to what your body is telling you.
    Banshee- I am still cramping quite a bit but the morphine is actually still working. lol
    Mama Bear and I have put Glenwood Springs, Moab and Sedona Az on our weather list.That way I can have my daily fit of jealousy when I read how low the Humidity is out that way.
    During this last 'visit' to the ER, I got talking to the girl that takes cvare of the patientss as far as their needs go. She is a Mtb rider and told me that she even felt the humidity at 7am when she was on the Lion's Club Trail. Sh ewonndered what time I wa sout there and nI told her around 8:30-9:00am. She told me that the humidity had hir 88% by then. We both agreed that I shouldn't ride when the Humidity is that high. Of course we talke dabout our bikes. She Rides a Trek Wahoo and is looking for a 29er so she can "roll over stuff" that left me an opening to talk fat with her. She has seen them and thought she could only ride them in snow. I tols her that I ride mine year round and that they really "roll over stuff" too. she said she will look at what the LBS has and I told her to of course, check out BD too. Then the Abdominal pain really started. LOL

Xbmedic: Love that pic! I have two places on my bucket list I want to ride my fatty. Iceland and Hawaii.

Until Later -----------------PEACE , LOVE AND FATNESS!
    Oldbear and the entire clan-------------------------- Fred, Sue, Sean, Mofo, Mojo, Pup, Sidney, Smokey and Muezza. ( the last six names are our cats)

And Remember as always--------

mtbr member
    I think we now know what it's like to have a pissed off Bear.
    Take care of yourself. I have been slowing my pace since the warmer weather moved in. It was pretty humid in the woods late this afternoon. I hope everyone has a nice weekend. Get out and ride if you can.

mtbr member
    oldbear, I hope you recover fully and start feeling better.
    Had some running around to do today. Went into Philly and picked up ride packets for Sunday and a Phillies bike shirt. Headed back towards home. Stopped to pick up a basket for a fundrasier next weekend for by Deputy Chief. Then hit my lbs, spoke with the owner about grabbing a fat bike next week for a day or 2 to ride and see if it's for me.
    Looking forward to next week. Got the number for the bike I want.

Got home and did 10+ miles enjoying the ride.

We'll see.

mtbr member
    I think we now know what it's like to have a pissed off Bear.
    Take care of yourself. I have been slowing my pace since the warmer weather moved in. It was pretty humid in the woods late this afternoon. I hope everyone has a nice weekend. Get out and ride if you can.
    We understnad all too well the Humidity south of the KY border and anywhere near then Alabama Line. The last time is was that far south was in 1984. It was July and we were in Chattanooga takihng part in a 'scripted battle' between the Tenn. Nat. guard and our group of WW2 reeneactors portraying Soviet forces. It was hot! We went to see the Movie "Red Dawn" dressed in our Russian uniforms. All I can remember is drinking copious amounts of water, Ice water! lol.

Until Tomorrow------PEACE LOVE ANT FATNESS
    Oldbear and the entire clan (I am tie=red so i am not going to list them)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Keep up the great work, you will be back soon

mtbr member
    I had an interesting event yesterday. About mid way through my ride, I chose to bypass the canal I usually ride and stayed along a roadway. To an old airport road that the township has made into an industrial park. Not usually lots of traffic but with the local state highway under repair for a year now it sees more. I turn onto a 2 lane roadway with shoulder areas. I'm riding on the shoulder facing traffic because the other side has major pot holes, plus it's tighter and I like to look at the vehicles coming at me. I feel I can get away from them off the road if I need to. Too many distracted drivers with cells now so I look at the driver and the front wheels to see where they are going.
    As I'm riding a white truck is coming towards me, its now moving onto the shoulder and pushing me off the paved road. No problem cause the 29'er I'm riding will get along OK. He continues at me forcing me off the road. It was deliberate, he wanted me off the road. No other traffic. As he gets closer, he's smiling. I throw my gum and water bottle at the truck and bounce it off the windshield. I get back on the shoulder and look back. Its a landscaping truck with a trailer, white, no lettering. I continue on and look back and the truck is turning around to come after me. I get away from the immediate area and into an open area. AT the next street the truck catches me. I pull over, look at him (young guy, white, blonde, no sleeves on his chartreuse shirt, passenger is hispanic, with glasses). The guy pulls up, looks at me and yells "Your a fat F!" "Yeah I am, get out of the truck and you'll get tuned up by this old fat F" He stops but won't get out. I laugh. He gets pissed and starts berating me. I tell him get out of the truck. I walk towards the truck. He turns and starts to drive away. I grab my bike and look to get away from the area. He yells some stuff I reply. He drives off, I ride the opposite way. As I'm starting to ride away a large tractor trailer driver across the road in a fueling station honks his air horn. I stop and he's laughing. He says, "He expected you to be a little guy (normal biker type). He nearly shit when you came back at him and got scared when you went after him." I laugh, and ask. Are you gonna be here a while if I call the PD? He gave me his info and I passed it along to the PD. Pretty funny. I'm pretty capable in taking care of myself so I wash't worried. But you have to be careful.

No events on todays ride.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Ya gotta stop pickin' fights! you're no spring chicken...Be careful out there, some of these peeps would likely run your happy a$$ down.
    I used to carry a few golf balls for that kind of situation. They take out windows really well.

Robert, we gotta get the bears outta there! The care facilities sound a little rough.
    I still wanna ride your new bike!

Oldbear, I hope you are feeling better now. Just be careful on the warmer more humid days. And don't push as hard when it's hot.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I ride a small frame bike. I am not real big so I try and avoid confrontations if at all possible. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

mtbr member
    My daughter and I plus to fellow firefighters rode in the 1st annual Phillies Charity bike ride this morning. Lots of people. We had a blast, it was a tad warm and humid but we got through it OK. LIL sore in the quad area. Road a lil after than usual averaged 14 mph for the 21 mile ride. Went through a local park near the stadium and all the road bike people didn't like the pot holes, mud and water. I blasted through it on my Crosstrail changed into a 29'er. Then down along the river there were lots of railroad tracks to cross. The skinny tire guys had some issues. A good amount of flat tires. Then towards the end there were two individuals down. The medics were with them as we went passed. I hope they are OK. One was taken away in an ambulance. I finished in the top 15% and my daughter did better than we thought she'd do.
    Lots of fun. Looking forward to a great week with possibly a fat bike ride in it.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and got to ride a little.

oldbear hang tough brother.

Banshee, good thoughts and prayers for David.

mtbr member
    Saw a momma deer and two fawns that could barely walk on the trail today. Poor things were scared and mom was upset. They were right on the trail and I am glad I didn't hit them. So cute. ☺️

Rippin da fAt
    That's what my mom said about them 'til they ate her tulips. Good weather for your ride?

Got out for a ride today between rain storms. The trail had enough time to dry enough to not be sloppy. It was good enough to not cause trail damage because the drainage is excellent. I sure can tell that I have not been riding regularly enough lately.

Chief sure is an ornery ole cuss! Lol Glad your Philly ride was a good time! Can't wait to hear of your fatty experience. You're in for a treat!

OldBear, how are you today? Hope you had a ride with Sean and Tom. Good times!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I was supposed to ride 55.5km race in NC on Sunday but had some family stuff to take care of that kept me from going. Might know that the weather was perfect. I think I am just going to solo the course one weekend. Might as well. Weather was nice yesterday for most anything. Had one pop up shower than lasted about 15 or 20 minutes, just enough to make the many exposed roots slicker than ice. I wasn't on my fatty because I did a road ride to get to the trail and back. Not gonna expose $150.00 tires to pavement anymore than I have to.

mtbr member
    Turkey season is done so I can now ride at the WMA on the gravel roads again. Took my single speed out there today and averaged 15.5 mph for a 28 mile ride. Not a lot of climbing but the gravel was a little tacky and not as fast as it will be when it is bone dry. It was so much fun to be able to do that. I may take Fatty out there when I recover and see if I can match that effort on it.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert,

Sounds like a fun comparison ride, indeed. Glad you've been getting out and riding. I'm just hoping for some less rainy weather. It keeps cloudbursting here and it isn't pleasant with high elevation and driving wind. Hypothermia is not worth it. At least in the winter it's cold enough to ride in a snow storm and stay dry. Mid summer the rain will be pleasant tho'.

Where's the Bear???
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Robert,

Sounds like a fun comparison ride, indeed. Glad you've been getting out and riding. I'm just hoping for some less rainy weather. It keeps cloudbursting here and it isn't pleasant with high elevation and driving wind. Hypothermia is not worth it. At least in the winter it's cold enough to ride in a snow storm and stay dry. Mid summer the rain will be pleasant tho'.

Where's the Bear???
    HERE I AM! Had to spend a little time in the hospital Saturday-Today (Wednesday).
    Seems the quack isnow in hot what with the Director of ER services. I went in the Afternoon Saturday and was having some severe cramping and other pain. The Dr that had me in the ER was the Director and he looked at my chart from the previous day and asked why this wasn't addressed then. So I wound up in there with a severe intestinal bug and infection and they flushed it out and now I am back on the bike and feeling great. I have to take antibiotics for two weeks.

Soooooo I will read backwards and see what everybody has been up to.

By the way Mama Bear says that if we can get the funds up we are definately moving WEST. I need to be away from the Killer humidity and heat. We want to move on the western slope of the rockies in Colorado If we can find a place in either Grand Junction or Moab for rent fairly reasonable we are outta here!
    Banshee, How are the summers in Glenwood?

Until a Little later --------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family-------------Fred, Sue and Seanie.

mtbr member

Oldbear is on the air!

HEY GANG!

I was able to talk for a few minutes on "Fat Bike Radio" to Sven and Gomez. So sometime tomorrow go to Fat-Bike.com and give the show a listen. I even was able to plug our thread! I think that Fat Bike Radio is our answer to the Prarie Home Companion..

It's cold here tonight and the humidity is 92%. tomorrow is supposed to a warmer day and just partly cloudy. I will get my ride in and then take Friday as an off day.

Chief: I am glad you had a good time on your charity ride. and finishing in thetop 15% isn't to shabby either.

Robert: I hope that the trails dry out over your way. Then get ypour fatty out and ride!

Banshee: I like the comment about gett9ing us outta here. I have been looking at the weather report from Glenwood, the Junction and Moab. The humidity in Moab right now is 19%. Glenwood is at 46% and the Junction is at 41%.. Annnnd the coldest temp in Colorado today was Leadville 26f.

Until,later-------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS

Oldbear and clan

Rippin da fAt
    OLDBEAR!!!

You made me go into prayer in overdrive mode. Glad they got you sorted.
    It's great that it was not too serious a condition.
    Feel better and ride healthy!

I had a ride Sunday that was quite nice while it lasted. Cotton pickin' rain storms. My bike did stay mostly clean, although I had to scrub the treads with a brush to get the mud off 'em. Was nice to roll around on fAt tires for a couple hours.

Glad you're back, OldBear.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OLDBEAR!!!

You made me go into prayer in overdrive mode. Glad they got you sorted.
    It's great that it was not too serious a condition.
    Feel better and ride healthy!

I had a ride Sunday that was quite nice while it lasted. Cotton pickin' rain storms. My bike did stay mostly clean, although I had to scrub the treads with a brush to get the mud off 'em. Was nice to roll around on fAt tires for a couple hours.

Glad you're back, OldBear.
    Bansheerun: I am really getting a little tired of all this junk happening to me LOL.
    Thanks for the Prayers. I am just going to keep trusting that all these thongs will make me stronger.
    I see that you like us are in for some unsettled weather.

Just a quick note on the Fat-Bike Radioshow- It's going to be on Friday not tomorrow. sorry guys.

Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

I was gonna call in, but didn't get done with a client til it was too late.

Hope it was good fun being on with Sven and Gomez. They are off the wall.
    Hang in there, OldBear
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Glad to hear your doing better oldbear, glad they got someone to really look at you. Hope you start feeling better.

Day for hell at work, lots of stress, no ride today which would have helped but raining and cold here today, plus I have a viewing for a guy a lil older than me that used to live on the street we grew up on. Bill was a good guy that never bothered anyone, going to pay my respects.

Hoping to be able to get out tomorrow morning but we'll see. We're celebrating our wedding anniversary on Saturday (31 years). We're going to go tomorrow to do something together because we helping run a benefit for my deputy chief who is battling cancer and needs some $ help. I'll get a ride in but it'll be a hectic day organizing.

SO no fat bike ride this week, hopefully next week.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and don't forget to raise a flag and celebrate Memorial Day.

mtbr member
    Hi Ho Everyone!

Took a nice ride today on some gravel backroads over near Newburg. We rode for about three hours and I feel really good. It was cool here today and the Sun stayed behind the clouds for most of the day. Mid ride I checked my heart rate and it was at 89bpm. I Went to the store when I got home and picked up the fixings for a chef salad tonight. I have decided to eat less red meat and more fish and chicken. \

Well Iwill write morelater if'n Iget a chance.

Oldbear and crew

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It's been raining off and on all week here in dry northern Nevada. I tried to get some riding time in. Got about 3/4 of a mile up the rocky jeep trail heading for single track and a Thunder storm moved in, started pelting me with rain.

Back down to the truck, figured I'd head for some trails at a lower elevation. No luck, the storm followed me. Just as I had the bike out of the truck and headed for some sand, here comes the storm down the mountain with drenching rain. I figured riding a steel bike in a thunder storm might not be a good idea!

mtbr member
    Cool gravel and pavement ride on my Black SS set up for that. Trail are wet from overnight rain. Had a good ride and saw and spooked two coyotes. Better I spook them than they spook me. May have to put a new chain on the fatty for my Sunday longer ride. Dang 1x11 stretches chains too fast.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Sorry to hear of Bill's passing. Hope you get some good riding weather soon.
    Thoughts and prayers to your deputy chief. Hope he responds well to treatment. Hey, he needs a chief number on here! May as well join the fray!

Loneviking,

I'm experiencing the same crap here in Colorado, Lightning and pelting hail.
    Perhaps we can plan a getaway part way between us. Utah has some great riding...

Robert, Glad you are enjoying the SS. Keep it up! New chain?!?! The only bike getting one of those is my trials bike. If I don't replace it once a year, I'll get in trouble for sure. Trials bikes are notorious for eating chains. No cheapo's and no half link, just a KMC 710.

OldBear, Glad you are doing well on the rides. It's reassuring when your heart rate is responding well to exercise. 3 hours, I'm jealous cause it's been so crappy here.
    Freakin' spring weather in the mountains!!! It's making my cat grass grow slowly too. I'd like to be able to put it out for them, but the sprouts are too young for the cats to ravage.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi Y'all.

Just kinda lurking and seeing some neat videos from Salsa Cycles. But I wander over home (this thread) and see some neat ride reports.

Loneviking, I am looking down the barrel of some wet weather next week too. I will spend a lot of time on the pavement (YUCK) and a little on the gravel. The trails are going to bnecome a quagmire that I don't relly want to ride and mess up. But your experience brings back memories ofriding out in the desert i Uthat 20 years ago abnd getting caught out in a thunderstorm. I was bigger than a lot of the creosote and junipers on a mesa above Price Utah and all I could think of was getting home alive.

Robert: Are the trails by you drying out a bit yet? I hope so. I would like to ride some trails down Tenn. way sometime.

I have decided that the very next thing that is going to be replaced is my vp pedals with some from 45nrth. My LBS can get me a nice pair of platforms for under a hundred. Heiruspecs by 45nrth is the model.

Has anyone out there ever ridden o n Origin devist8rs? Found a source for them fairly cheap.

Well the time is come for me to get ready for sack time. Good night all!

P.S. Tomorrow I am having a biopsy on my nose.there's a little spot that refuses to heal and my Doc. wants to biopsy it and that means the spot will begone.

Until Tomorrow-----------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS.
    Oldbear and clan----------Fred, Sue and Seanie

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Those pedals look very nice. They should serve you well. Stay away from those tires. I know they are cheap, because you will get what you pay for...

Best wishes on the biopsy, may the results come back benign...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Went out for a little ride today. only put in ten miles. Had a mishap on the way home and got some road rash as a result and my once pristine fatty now has some scrapes.
    I hate being on plavix. The scrape on my leg wouldn't quit bleeding. But I found some surgical tape and gauze and cleaned it up and put some antibiotic salve onit so it finally quit bleeding. (phew)
    I will check outthe posts and be backi later.

Oldbear.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your spill. I hate hearing when people go down. I rode a trail that is a rock barrage for about 8 of the 16.2 total miles, I rode. Slow speed over rock formations. It takes two loops to get the 16.2 total. I made it thru a rock garden I have never cleaned. Only one dab on the first loop, 3 on the second. Fatty did so good. It was almost like cheating at times.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert,

We'll post on observer out there on your next ride to keep score! Glad to hear you have been out riding and enjoying the fatty as well as your Vissago. Is the weather getting better for you?

OldBear,

I can certainly understand the dislike for the blood thinners. I spring leaks all the time. Just glad all that happened was a little cheese grater action and not worse. Hope you're doing well now that you have it under control.

As it turns out, David has T cell lymphoma. They now want to do another blood workup and an MRI. I told him he could come by and receive a free cat scan from my Egyptian Mao. They are said to be as accurate as a Siamese. The treatment plan is still being sorted.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Robert- That sounded like a fun ride. Not too many people around here have discovered the joy and lifestyle of Fat Biking. I think that there's only six of us but the numbers will grow as more folks ride a fatty and discover how universal they are.

Bansheerun- I really hate getting road rash Rock rash is ok because you get it from a dirt source.

I am looking at some Kenda Juggernaut tires.(26" x 4") The tread looks good and I haven't read any negative reviews as of yet. Universal has them for $46.00 each. plus they have the Surly ultralight toobs to go with them. They also have a SPF 50 sunscreen by a company called Kiss my Face. I ordered a tube and hopefully it'll get here before the sun comes back out next week.Plus I ordered some bar ends too.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to be cloudy, but , mo rain is forecast. The high is going to be 77f and a humidity in the low 60%'s. So I guess we are going to go explore part of the Ozarks trail and see how it looks. I have a USFS/USGS map to go by and the terrain looks pretty hilly. I hqave a camera so I will try to post some pictures from along the trail for you all.

Until Later-----------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    oLDEBEAR AND CLAN------Fred Sue and Sean.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

The Juggers are Purdy good. My buddy has a pair and likes them quite well. The price is good on 'em too.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Have fun on the trail today OldBear. I look at this thread and see how it's grown. Wow!!!

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Getting into arguments with bicycles is not recommended! Get out there and ride.

I'm getting lightning and pouring rain today, Dunno if a ride is in the cards, perhaps a round of golf for a sure lightning strike!

Chief, Hope you get to ride today too.

Viking, you too...time to ride!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OldBear,

Getting into arguments with bicycles is not recommended! Get out there and ride.

I'm getting lightning and pouring rain today, Dunno if a ride is in the cards, perhaps a round of golf for a sure lightning strike!

Chief, Hope you get to ride today too.

Viking, you too...time to ride!
    Bansheerun: I don't tempt fate when lighting is around. Nope no way. Especially when you are riding on mesas out in Utah when you are the tallest thing around. Nope don't like riding during thunderstorms.

Today's ride was on the Ozark trail. We rode 15 miles one way and turned around and rode back to the trailhead. Had a nice lunch at a Dairy Freeze place and headed home. I really like the trail. nice rolling stuff with a few challenging climbs. Only had to walk up hill twice, The weather really cooperated too. Got into the low 70's and partly cloudy. My Heart rate got up, to 97bpm and when i got back to the van i checked my BP and it was 145/90. A half hour later it dropped to 138/78 with a resting heart rate of 65. I will be posting some weights next week. I have gained back a bit since I was in the hospital and the suiurgery. back up to 250.

Until Later------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family------------Fred, Sue (Mama Bear) and Seanie (our cub)

mtbr member
    Old bear ya gotta be careful especially on the thinners.

Got in 25+ miles today, some bumpy roads early, watched the early setup for a Memorial Day celebration in Tullytown PA. 2 hours and 16 minutes on the bike. It was a good ride.

I hope everyone gets out this weekend.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Up in these mountains the lightning strikes the ridges as much as the valley floor. My bike and I stayed in for the duration. Got in a very short ride running errands after the light show. Really wouldn't wanna be out in the downpour much less.
    Your heart rate and bp are doing well it seems. The Ozark trail would be a nice experience by fatty. Now that you are back in your groove, you'll lose the gain in short order.

Chief,
    25 miles of bike time is always a good time. Sounds like you are doing well getting out for the routine bike rides.

Robert,
    How was your Saturday? Hope you found time for a ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Rest Day, I think.

I think that today is my 'rest day', maybe, I suppose. I am going to try to stay home, but the weather is sooooo nice and isn't all that hot. Maybe a few laps at the Lion's club won't hurt.

Bansheerun: Is it ever going to get warmer out in the Mountains? I looked at the weather for your area and It's almost winter still.

Chief: I like how you are always riding. When you gonna get your fatty?

Here's a question for the gang out there in the interweb family. I want to mounta computer on my fatty. Sooooo, does anyone have any recommendations? I want to stay under $50. (yeah I'm cheap) And oncei do get one what setting do I use for the fat tires.

Until Later----------PEACE-LOVE -AND fATNESS
    Oldbear and Clan------Fred, Sue, and Sean.

Rippin da fAt
    Bears only rest during hibernation!

It's gonna be a soggy spring. I was riding in Aspen yesterday to get a couple errands done and here comes the sloppy soakin wet snow. Was fun rippin around town on a fatty tho.

The computers come with instructions on getting the circumference of a wheel for calibrating them. Usually it is quite simple to get sorted.
    Doctor recommended...

All fat, all the time.
    When it's nice, you gotta ride! Plenty of time to rest when you're dead lol.

I got a couple great rides in the past two days, today stuck doing yard work and laundry...

mtbr member
    Welllllll, I went out for a ride after all. Rode over to a park on 10th and Howell and rode on the grass. Theres a paved trail but I avoided it because of all the walkers/joggers/Mom's with strollers etc.

mtbr member
    Welllllll, I went out for a ride after all. Rode over to a park on 10th and Howell and rode on the grass. Theres a paved trail but I avoided it because of all the walkers/joggers/Mom's with strollers etc.

I hate it when i hit the wrong button and reply before I am finished posting.

I wasn't alone on the grass see,ks there a group of kids that avoid the path too and they set up cones on one of the downhill sections and race a sort of ds. I watched for several minutes and was intrigued at how fast they could go. No I didn't try it. I value my bones in one piece.

Shark: Nice to hear from you please don't be a stranger and post whenever you feel like it.

Bansheerun: I saw your comment on the fat-bike.com site at the fat camp segment . Cool beans. I am going to get a Blackburn wireless computer from universal bikes. LOL

Here's a jokeof the day. (I don't post them often) swo enjoy:

A young college age man comes home and says to his Father, "Dad I am going to be a Chiropractor" His Father replies: " Dom't give me no back talk".

Why did the turkey cross the road?
    It was the chickens daY OFF.

Until later (when more posts come in) ---PEACE-LOVE -AND FATNESS!
    Oldbear and family------------Fred, Mama bear, Sue and Seanie the cub.

mtbr member
    I am starting this thread to allow some of us a way to share our rides and the benefits we gain from our rides healthwise. I am a 62 yr old cyclist that has weighjt and health issues. I ride a bout six days a week on local bike paths and trails . I have congestive heart failure (chf), diabetes type 2 and arthritis. When I first got back into cycling I weighed 329 lbs. Currently (3 months later) I am down to 289 lbs and My health has shown marked improvement. My bike that I ride currently is a Mongoose Dolomite. I used to ride a Marlin singlespeed but I need more a wider range of gears for my arthritic knees. Being on a fixed income I couldn't afford an expensive fat bike so I swallowed my pride and bought a big box store bike.
    can you guys believe that our thread is almost a year old? I was reviewing the first few pages and wow.........I am really surprised at how many posts this thread has garnered. I just wanted to check to see what my starting weight was 329 fricking pounds! That means when I get weighed next week I will check my loss then. Currently I weigh in at 245. that means I have in the course of the last ten months have lost around 84lbs.So to anyone that's just looking at this thread for the first time and have some health issues I really recommend cycling, especially fat biking as a source for better health.

Until later-----------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Clan------------Fred, Sue and Sean.

Rippin da fAt
    Shark,

Do like they do in Arizona, plant gravel and go ride your bike!

Glad to hear you have been riding.

I had better not hear "we need the moisture" one more time. It's getting old with all the lightning and heavy rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    When it's nice, you gotta ride! Plenty of time to rest when you're dead lol.

I got a couple great rides in the past two days, today stuck doing yard work and laundry...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I drove to Yardley a little way up the Delaware River from me and hit the canal path from Yardley to Bowmans Hill. This is a very historic area, Washington's Crossing a lot or Revolutionary War areas. So at Bowmans Hill I wanted to check to see if they were doing anything to remember some Revolutionary War grave sites.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0627.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_0635.jpg
    Fat Biking and health-img_0633.jpg

It was a 18 mile loop that I worked hard going up and easier coming back. The service was at 1:00 pm.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 05-25-2015 at 05:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Shark,

Do like they do in Arizona, plant gravel and go ride your bike!

Glad to hear you have been riding.

I had better not hear "we need the moisture" one more time. It's getting old with all the lightning and heavy rain.
    Banshee:
    To quote that wonderful Burt Bacarach song from "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid"...........Rain drops keep falling on my head.......... just kidding.

Chief:
    Those Pictures remind me of all the times as a Civil war Reenactor I took part in many parades and memorial services for the brave soldiers who fought in the war between the states. Personally I think that moving the date of memorial day wasn't the best of Ideas. And now we 'celebrate' mexican independence day. I would rather celebrate the U.S. Army's victory at chapultapec on that date. (from the war with mexico)

Good Night all!
    Until Tomorrow------------------PEACE-LOVE-AND FATNESS
    OLDBEAR AND CLAN............Fred, Sue and Sean

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks, OldBear! lol It's soo true. Roflmao

Chief,
    Those pix are a fine example of Memorial Day remembrance. And quite a historical location as well. Thanx for sharing that.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I did a 13 mile ride today that took over 2 hours. I attended 3 Memorial Day services during my ride. I also got to say hello to my Mom, she left us 39 years ago today.

mtbr member

Happy Memorial Day

Happy memorial day one and all.

I rode over to St. James to the small veteran's cemetery at the veteran's home. I paid my respects to the souls buried there and then rode over to the Forest city trails and spent three hours just doing some laps. I ran into about eight other Mtn Bikers there and we rode as a group. did about 30 miles in all.

When I got back home, I stopped at Kroger's to pick up some food for dinner. Some fried chicken, soda and icecream. On the way out I had a bunch of people from New Mexico looking at my bike. They were young people that are getting settled for the next semester at MST. They had their bikes in the bed of their truck and were looking for a place to ride. There was two 'normal' Mtn Bikes and two fattys, the fattys were salsas. .. So I told them how to get to Lion's Club park and the trailhead in the woods.

So all in all it was a nice day.it hit the 80'sw and the humidity stayed low, at least by Missouri standards, 60%. Ionly sweated a little and had no trouble making it up some of the climbs between here and St. James.

Chief: Nice ride. I hope that you enjoyed yourself.

I hope everybody got some swaddle time today. Please post some ride reports or whatevert you did today.

Until Later--------------------PEACE- LOVE, AND FATNESS\
    Oldbear and family. ............ Fred, Sue and Seanie

mtbr member
    Fred, one of the better rides of the year. I did it last year without attending the services and the flags waving in the cemeteries was quite the visual. So I decided this year to do it better.
    https://youtu.be/IMb1k7D89hM

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Looks like you have had some good rides right along with Chief. This weather ahs been atrocious lately. It's supposed to be warmer this week, weather report is propaganda.
    Still managed to get some miles in tho'. It seems that we had spring during February and March and dropped back to late winter or early spring.

Robert, How you doing?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Funny, we had very little spring and we're jumping into the teeth of summer. 88 today, 89 tomorrow, 87 Thursday, 83 Fri, 89 Sat, 84 Sun high humidity with a chance of thunder showers every day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    At the hospital this morning to have abdominal surgery. Posting this from pre-op. No riding for me for a few days. Enjoy the fat tire riding for me, my friends.

mtbr member
    Hope everything goes well and recovery goes quickly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks, Chief!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xbmedic View Post
    At the hospital this morning to have abdominal surgery. Posting this from pre-op. No riding for me for a few days. Enjoy the fat tire riding for me, my friends.
    Xbmedic- My thoughts and prayers are with you bro. I know all too well howit feels to be unable to ride after surgery, Just follow the Dr.'s orders and you'll be back riding those lava flows in no time.

For everyone here's a picture of me with my monster.........Fat Biking and health-sunp0096.jpg

I am just getting ready to go out for a few miles and thought I'd post about the ride later. By the way, my friend Tom took the picture.

Until Later---------------PEACE -LOVE -AND FATNESS
    Oldbear--------aka Fred

mtbr member
    Xbmedic- My thoughts and prayers are with you bro. I know all too well howit feels to be unable to ride after surgery, Just follow the Dr.'s orders and you'll be back riding those lava flows in no time.

For everyone here's a picture of me with my monster.........Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SUNP0096.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	991420

I am just getting ready to go out for a few miles and thought I'd post about the ride later. By the way, my friend Tom took the picture.

Until Later---------------PEACE -LOVE -AND FATNESS
    Oldbear--------aka Fred
    Please note: I weigh 245 and i am 6'1" tall. My inheritance from my Dad is a gut. I am working towards losing that. 84 lbs down with 45 more to goto reach my goal of 200lbs by December 1st 2015.

Oldbear

Rippin da fAt
    xbmedic,

Best wishes and prayers you way. Speedy recovery, my friend.

OldBear, Looking good. You will have no trouble meeting your goal! Happy riding...

Cut it out, Chief!!! Doh...

Robert's truant!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

I played hooky!

I played hooky today. I was going to go for a long ride on some backroads with gravel but Mama bear convinced me that after six straight days riding that I needed a rest. I only took it outside for that picture and then put it away after doing some lubing on the chain and casette.

Tomorrow I am going to ride over the back roads to Newburg and spend sometime exploring a creek with sand and rock banks and maybe go into the Nat'l Forest too.

We drove out today to the Kaintuck Recreation area and looked over the trails. We had heard that the trails are pretty tore up from the Horseheads that frequent the trails and boy were the rumors right! I thought the damage I'd seen twenty years ago out in Utah from "equeatrians" was something, this damage ruined the trails even for hikers, let alone Fat bikers. They must have had some sort of impromptu trail race because all the tra9ils were deeply rutted and in some places the trail was becom9ing a major mud bog
    I am going to contact the Forest service about it tomorrow when I go up there to pick up copies of the Mountain Biking trails map. Maybe we can get some sort of crew together to do some trail work.

Until Later---------PEACE -LOVE -AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and Family---------Fred Sue And Seanie

mtbr member
    p. s. I am going to put money down on a 2014 Trek Farley. My LBS has a floor model (Demo) for $1750.

OIdbear

mtbr member
    P.S.S.--------WHERE ARE YOU ROBERT? It's not like you to be missing for so long!

..........WHERE ARE YOU MARNA? We need some report from up your way.

---------WHERE ARE YOU VELOBIKE? You are our correspondent from across the pond.

EVERYONE POST SOMETHING ABOUT THESE THREE. MAYBE IF THERE'S ENOUGH POSITIVE ENERGY THEY'LL RESPOND. lol

mtbr member
    p. s. I am going to put money down on a 2014 Trek Farley. My LBS has a floor model (Demo) for $1750.

OIdbear
    Oldbear does your Monster not suit you anymore? Just curious about upgrading from the Monster as I just got one and wondering how long it will be enough for me. Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

That is a very good price, hope you get it and this time keep it indoors...

We have a few truancies at the moment...Won't mention any names...Robert, Marna, Velo...Oh , did I just say that?!?!

OIdbear
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I've been lurking. Must say I'm impressed by oldbear52's dedication to fitness. Keep it up.

Maybe you should write a book. I'll give you the title - "How to get fit by going fat".

Rode the Forth Fat a couple of weeks ago

Apart from that I've been mainly riding road, so non fat these last few weeks, hence not much posting about rides.

Been riding my 1930s road bike on some short road loops - around 100km. That pic was after tough slog into a headwind on a ride from Bonar Bridge to Ledmore Junction (ie crossed the spine of Scotland). Turned out the head wind was more of a gale - up to 38mph I was told (60kph).

Seeing as the ride basically consisted of a long ride uphill into a headwind on a high geared single speed bike, I was pretty happy to reach the turnaround point for the next 50km when the lack of aerodynamics proved to be an asset.

So it turned out to be a wee bit more strenuous than intended - it was supposed to be a pootle.

There was some sunshine but the risk of us getting mildly warm was fortunately averted by refreshing Scottish summer sleet showers.

mtbr member
    soarftb:

Actually the Mrs. (Mama Bear) and i discussed the Farley tonight. We decided to just upgrade stuff on the Monster, and instead we are going to order two Gravity Deadeye Monsters (single speeds) in July. One for me and one for pour handicapped son Sean. The Monster has a little over 1250- 1325 miles on it and I need to get brake pads and some new pedals.

Well it's way past my bedtime as I write this. 3am in the blessed morning. I fell asleep at the computer for four hours. rofl. Nighty night.

Until later this afternoon----------PEACE -LOVE -AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and the entire Clan-------Fred, Sue, and Seanie, plus our six cats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I've been lurking. Must say I'm impressed by oldbear52's dedication to fitness. Keep it up.

Maybe you should write a book. I'll give you the title - "How to get fit by going fat".

Rode the Forth Fat a couple of weeks ago

Apart from that I've been mainly riding road, so non fat these last few weeks, hence not much posting about rides.

Been riding my 1930s road bike on some short road loops - around 100km. That pic was after tough slog into a headwind on a ride from Bonar Bridge to Ledmore Junction (ie crossed the spine of Scotland). Turned out the head wind was more of a gale - up to 38mph I was told (60kph).

Seeing as the ride basically consisted of a long ride uphill into a headwind on a high geared single speed bike, I was pretty happy to reach the turnaround point for the next 50km when the lack of aerodynamics proved to be an asset.

So it turned out to be a wee bit more strenuous than intended - it was supposed to be a pootle.

There was some sunshine but the risk of us getting mildly warm was fortunately averted by refreshing Scottish summer sleet showers.

Velobike: Love those pictures. There was an article on the Fat-Bike.Com webpage by a fellow by the name of Jeff Price. He rode both days pf the event and tols a wonderful story about it . Including some pics of some wartime mini subs on the beach.

As to writing a book about my weight loss, I have been thinking of writing a book on my fifty plus years in Cycling. And the major part of it will be about fat biking adventures and my efforts to get better through cycling. I like your suggestion for the title. zI think it will be subtitled: "Once You Go Fat, You'll Never Go Back"

Until later
    Oldbear.

mtbr member
    ...As to writing a book about my weight loss, I have been thinking of writing a book on my fifty plus years in Cycling. And the major part of it will be about fat biking adventures and my efforts to get better through cycling. I like your suggestion for the title. zI think it will be subtitled: "Once You Go Fat, You'll Never Go Back"...
    One physical advantage people who are carrying a lot of weight have (assuming they are still mobile), is that they often have very strong legs from carrying what is effectively the weight of another person on their shoulders.

A bicycle is the perfect method of taking advantage of that and getting back to fitness.

A few more lbs off you Oldbear, and I suggest you go singlespeed. That will improve your core as well as your legs. It's not harder, just different, and is more about core strength and technique than leg strength.

mtbr member
    I rode at Oak Mountain State Park in Alabama on Sunday. Last two days have been pavement due to the rain.

Glad to see everyone is getting out and doing something that is enjoyable and improves the quality of your life. And the beat goes on and on and on.

Rippin da fAt
    Velo, how's our resident Scotsman? Forth Fat had to be a great time. Looks so fun. Coast Kid has extensive photos as well. Glad you took the time to share them.

"Single Speed makes you strong fast!" (Stockli Boy) He is known in these parts for hosting the Single Speeds Only party at his property. Complete with a singletrack. I love that classic bike in the pic. Mint!

Robert, Just glad you didn't pull an OldBear on us and hole up in a hospital! Good stuff riding at various locations. When are you racing again?

OldBear, Mrs. OldBear talked some sense into you, did she?!?! If you buy Sean a new SS, that'll just make his day bright! Hope that will work out for you and Sean with new SS's.

We are having a reprieve from the foul weather today. Today will be a ditch day so I can ride the fatty and get a good distance in for a change. Weather report is calling for 72, shocking, we have a heat wave!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Close to 80 sunny degrees here in Nevada. After the rain, the sand and DG are great for riding in. I've been riding in the hills to the west of me. Found a wash to explore that looks to have a couple of creek crossings. Just might have pics later today...

Rippin da fAt
    Lonevikeing, You're killin' me! lol Have a great ride out there.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Just got back from the refinery, warm & humid today in the east. 88, feels like 91, dew point 68, gonna be a warm ride today again. It was yesterday too.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Glad to hear you have had good riding weather. Where's that fatty? Hope you get out on one and get hooked.

Yay! Warm and sunny for 20 miles of trail riding...FINALLY! was nice to get out for a real ride for a change.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    We had thunder storms this evening, we need the rain. I took the night off, iced my knee and got some rest.
    I'll be at it tomorrow again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It's a beautiful evening here. About 80 today, and when the hot air rises, by evening it's pulling cool mountain air down and a stiff breeze is blowing. I went by the bike shop yesterday as I've never been quite happy with the way Big Bertha fit me. The reach to the handlebars was a bit too long and low. My mechanic suggested a stem extension, which rode well in the parking lot. So, I really wanted to ride but I didn't want to run up and down steep hills. Instead, it was a leisurely ride through the old west side of Carson City, just cruising and testing the feel of the bike.

Stopped at the Governors Mansion-
    -Fat Biking and health-big-bertha-governors-mansion.jpg

And then went hunting yard deer. Found two little bucks and four does.

Fat Biking and health-yard-deer.jpg

The Pug looks a bit funny with the long extension, but it now feels and rides like it fits me!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    We had thunder storms this evening, we need the rain. I took the night off, iced my knee and got some rest.
    Chief,

I forgot to tell you, I sent some rain your way!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    LOL, thanks Banshee, we need more so maybe a lil more today.
    I'm planning to ride my bike to work tomorrow morning so hoping it's not gonna rain then. Jeep is in for service (60,000) so we'll drop it off tonight.

Leaving work tonight and got the low tire pressure warning on the way home. I had been hearing a tick tick tick as I drove. I got to my tire place and they pull it and find a screw, tire gets plugged. So that slowed me down then I had to drop off the Jeep for service. + no ride tonight.

I'm riding to work tomorrow as long as it isn't lightening.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 05-28-2015 at 06:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    Chief: Sounds like you had the same idea I had. I played hooky today so i can go ride the KATY trail come Saturday. I just kinda laid around the house and got a friend to drive me grocery shopping. I really felt guilty do this but I wanted to let my body recover some and hit it tomorrow.

Until Later----------PEACE - LOVE - AND FATNESS
    Oldbear and family-----Fred Sue and Seanie

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Get some pix from your ride on Saturday. How are you doing? Hope you are feeling good.
    Chief,
    Hope you have a good ride to work tomorrow. Had a good chuckle with the service interval, just did the 215k service on my van. Still runs very well, so it's sticking around.
    Hope the weather cooperates.

Today was a bit of an off day for me with my kidney disease flaring up some. Got out for a couple miles just because there was a rare occurrence, the sun was out. spent most of the day sleeping in front of the idiot box. Life is unusual, being a special care cat.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hope you feel better soon Bansheerun.

mtbr member
    Yeah, hope your feeling better quickly Bansheerun.

Got a quick 6 in this morning to work.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0653.jpg

Ride home will be longer.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanx Guys, much appreciated. Feeling better today. I am gonna take it easy today so I can play tomorrow.

Chief, that office is in compliance with the employee handbook, although you need to read the tire size clause. I think you missed the part on it..,
    "There shall be at least one bike maintained on premise with a tire size not less than 3.5"
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanx Guys, much appreciated. Feeling better today. I am gonna take it easy today so I can play tomorrow.

Chief, that office is in compliance with the employee handbook, although you need to read the tire size clause. I think you missed the part on it..,
    "There shall be at least one bike maintained on premise with a tire size not less than 3.5"
    And then too he forgot the other clause " There shall no Mountain bikes with LESS than 2.25 kept in orffices on company property"

Banshee:L I am glad you are feeling lots better. Your weather for tomorrow is supposed to be clear, with temps on the 70's. Maybe yuou cam get out andride a few miles.

They are forecasting rain tomorrow here, Actually more of what we're having tonight, thunderstorms. So, no KATY tomorrow.

mtbr member

Hope

And then too he forgot the other clause " There shall no Mountain bikes with LESS than 2.25 kept in orffices on company property"

Banshee:L I am glad you are feeling lots better. Your weather for tomorrow is supposed to be clear, with temps on the 70's. Maybe yuou cam get out andride a few miles.

They are forecasting rain tomorrow here, Actually more of what we're having tonight, thunderstorms. So, no KATY tomorrow.
    Again i hit the wrong button, Dooh.

Instead of riding the KATY tomorrow we are going to go ride the Berryman on Tuesday, on my birthday. (#63).

Today I felt a little weak and had nausea for the major part of the day. So I didn't ride. Like banshee, I curled up in from of the idiot box and also my laptop and watched some shows and some Magic the Gathering Pro tour videos. (yeah even at 63 I still play ja silly {not} card game.)

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Sorry to hear you're feeling off today. Hope the weather man eats his hat!
    How is Sean doing? And Mrs. OldBear. Any word on her surgery?

Happy birthday!

There's nothing like us old guys riding our fat bikes!

Chief might be violating the UBC too, the universal bicycle code...
    We might have to send an inspector!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    OldBear,

Sorry to hear you're feeling off today. Hope the weather man eats his hat!
    How is Sean doing? And Mrs. OldBear. Any word on her surgery?

Happy birthday!

There's nothing like us old guys riding our fat bikes!

Chief might be violating the UBC too, the universal bicycle code...
    We might have to send an inspector!
    Nothing yet about the Mrs' surgery. It is a real crock that no one will that there's no one to take her for necessary surgery. I think that the surgeon's nurse just tried one place and gave up. I guess I will have to get Missouri's He;ath and Senior Services Involved, again to get something done. arrrrrgh.

thanks for the birthday wishes.

By the way i am feeling a lot better. I think it was just a little bug.

Chief: We are sending the federal Bicycle code inspectors your way............

BTW we are getting your rain here banshee. It's thundering and raining here at 10:27pm

Until Later---------PEACE -LOVE -AND FATNESS
    Oldbear

mtbr member
    Glad to hear your both feeling better, old bear stay on then form the Mrs. "squeaky wheel gets the grease" is the method you need to get results with government anything.

By the time the federal guys find me I hope to riding fat but we'll see. Spent enough yesterday to get the top of the line fat tie with what I have saved and the $ of the 60,000 mile service on my Jeep. Had a rear hatch leak taken care off and a AC / heater blower fixed also. Passenger side wasn't getting cool or hot air just air. SO that's fixed for the summer.

Heading out for a ride in a little, hope everyone enjoys their weekend and gets out for a little bike time.

Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast