Fat Biking and health - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Rippin da fAt
    Hope your Sunday ride is great, even if its not a fatty ride.

Be safe and have a great day to all

mtbr member
    No riding the last couple days; winter has been hanging in here in SE PA. Sunny but cool today. Rain tomorrow in the am so I can get out tomorrow evening (I hope) it's supposed to get up into the 50's for this week.

Hoping Mrs. old bear is doing well and gets an appointment soon. Prayers and good thoughts headed your way.

Its been a tough year so far.

Enjoy the ride when you can get out.

Rippin da fAt
    Sorry to hear that, Chief. Hope you are doing well tho'.

OldBear, I hope you let Mrs. OldBear know she has a fan club on the forum!

Best to all.

mtbr member
    I hope momma bear is feeling better.

Rode 70 on gravel today. Was pretty nice out and a great route.
    Last edited by robertdavid; 03-30-2015 at 05:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Hello All!

Went to St. Louis as planned, and we spent four hours just riding the trails at castlewood state park. It was pretty intense for me as I had to get off and walk a couple of times due to some grades. But all in all it was a real good time. Stopped by a BK and had lunch on the way home. I love charbroiled meat. Had a Dr. Pepper cherry vanillia Diet to top things off and made sure we filled up for our hour and a half ride to get home. ]

Mrs. Momma Bear says thanks for all your prayers and concerns. She likes her nick name. I told Sean what his isand he laughed and started saying "i'M YOUNG BEAR!"

Bansheerun I know you didn't ride today because of the Sabbath, bit I hope youget some saddle time tomorrow.

Robertdavid: Sounds like you had a great time. Wish i could get outnand do something like that.

Chief500: I hope you get better as you ride. It's important to remember to set achievable goals at first and expand as you get better.

Tomorrow it's going to be in the low 60's here in beautiful downtown Rolla. and Clear! in fact the first three days are going to see a climb up into the 7 0's.

Until tomorrow..............PEACE

Oldbear, Mrs. Momma oldbear amd young bear. (Fred, Sue and Sean)

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks, Oldbear! Yep tomorrow, Uh today I will get some time on my fatty again!
    And yep, the family has a fan club, alright! Hope everyone is well, especially Momma Bear.

Good stuff lifts the heavy heart during difficult times!

mtbr member
    And I am glad that I can stay on my bike that long. I never take it for granted, that is for sure.

Have a nice week and everyone keep posting. Best thread on this forum. IMHO

Rippin da fAt
    ^^Agreed!!

mtbr member
    tick, tick tick......waiting to get out of work to climb on and get a ride in.

Rippin da fAt
    Damn, Chief! Good for you. hope you have a great ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIEF500 View Post
    tick, tick tick......waiting to get out of work to climb on and get a ride in.
    I know that feeling. Cannot wait to get out and ride when the time comes.

mtbr member
    My fatty problem has been figured out. One of the inboard rear hub bearings was toast. It is a warranty issue. Should be fixed by Friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    My fatty problem has been figured out. One of the inboard rear hub bearings was toast. It is a warranty issue. Should be fixed by Friday.
    Good news.

Got out of work, got home changed and gone with a smile. It was cool and windy, had to work to get through some soft ground at a lake on my normal loop but it felt OH so good. Lil walk when finished and some stretching.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I cannot wait to get my fatty back on the trail but will make do in the meantime. Just glad I have other bikes to ride or this would be not as much fun. My bike shop is great. They checked everything to find it.

Hope Momma Bear and family is doing well. To all on this thread, stay healthy, have fun, and work to live, not live to work.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert, glad you got it sorted! Should be an easy fix.

Good times, Chief!

mtbr member
    Hello everyone:

I am happy to announce the all is well here. I had to undergo a chemical stress test yesterday and everything was good. Momma Bear still hasn't heard where she's going for the test, but, yet the tumor seems to be shrinking.

Going out to Kaintuck today after three. Tom gets off then and my daughter is off as well.

Chief500: Glad to hear you're anxious to ride. You also besafe oout there.
    Robertdavid: Glad to hear tha the creak was nothing major.
    Banshee: Get out and Ride!

Until later..................PEACE
    Oldbear and Family. (
    AKA Fred, Sue< and Sean)

Rippin da fAt
    Thanx for the update, OldBear!

Glad the test results were favorable! Do I detect a family ride coming on?

Doh! I just noticed the "Three Bears" in the sig line! That's awesome!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I rode easy on the trails today after a fast paced trail ride on my SS yesterday. Hope to have my fatty back by Friday. Cross your fingers. I miss riding it a lot.

Rippin da fAt
    For all of us with disability of some sort, here is a link to a website that is truly amazing.

BlindBikeTrials

This will make us all stop and think!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    For all of us with disability of some sort, here is a link to a website that is truly amazing.

BlindBikeTrials

This will make us all stop and think!
    Awesome stuff. Never ever take this for granted.

Rippin da fAt
    The really important part is that things we think we can no longer do, we can do. we just need to learn that we can.

Matt has done a great job of pointing out that you should never give up!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Rode 2 hours on trail and road today. 29er hardtail ride. Fatty is still sick and in the bike shop waiting for a part. Oh well, such is life.

Everybody have a nice weekend and get out and ride. Loved looking at Matt's stuff. Incredible.

Rippin da fAt
    Glad to hear you have a bike to ride while the fatty's in the hospital!

Be safe!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Gorgeous weather here today, in short sleeves while riding. Very winding the first 4+ miles, then down wind the next 6 and then back back into the wind to home. Such a nice day.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you have a bike to ride while the fatty's in the hospital!

Be safe!
    Actually, I have 4 other bikes to ride, from one set up for the road, to gravel, one SS. I figure you can ride a mountain bike about anywhere and have fun and stay fit. It is a sickness. Most of my bikes are 4 to 9 years old. I like what I have and try to keep them as long as possible. I do most of the work on them but this last one was no way right now. Just glad I can do this and feel good.

Rippin da fAt
    Good to hear, Chief! Getting out for a ride always makes a day better!

Robert, you have been absorbed by the Borg, uh bike!

I too have a bicycle collective. There are 8 of 'em!

Banshee rune
    KOXX red sky (trials bike)
    Turner Sixpack, stinger, burner xce
    Special Ed enduro expert ss
    Mountain cycle rumble
    And of course the fat 9:Zero:7

It has taken a long time of collecting to bring these together as a collective. Many years.

OldBear, it's your turn!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Actually, I have 4 other bikes to ride, from one set up for the road, to gravel, one SS. I figure you can ride a mountain bike about anywhere and have fun and stay fit. It is a sickness. Most of my bikes are 4 to 9 years old. I like what I have and try to keep them as long as possible. I do most of the work on them but this last one was no way right now. Just glad I can do this and feel good.
    I Know the feeling. I own a grand total of five bikes. A 1967 Schwinn Paramount road, a 1976 Miyata 710 set up for road racing, A 1947 Schwinn phantom with springer front stripped down back in '64 to what we'd term a Klunker today. my 2014 Gravity Buillseye Mo0nster fatty. and last but not least my 2014 Gravity Deadeye Monster SS.
    I actually broke out the Phantom today and took it for a ride to the store. It's got a sturmy archer two speed rear hub. We used to call them 'kick backs" It also has a much older Brooks saddle my great uncle gave me when I stripped the bike down.It dates from the 20's. I had a ball and felt like a 12 year old again jetting around the trails in our undeveloped tract of land in suburban Chicago. I think if you guys will qallow me to relate a little of my biking history. In the summer when I turned 12 quite a few of the neighborhood kids had taken their stingrays and stripped them doiwn and stole the seats of their older siblings ten speeds. They kept the stock handlebars and just replaced the seats. They had "discovered a series of trails cris-crossing a large tract of undeveloped land that had a huge mound of topsoil on on4e edge by an elementary school. These kids wouldn't allow anyone else to cut across this tract to the Jewel food store or Hornsby's that sat in the southeast corner of it. they would chase you and try to put sticks in your spokes. So my friends and I decided to challenge them to a hill climb up the steep side of the hill. They accepted and the prize was if we won access to the trails without interference from the others. I rode my old three speed Schwinn Traveler and was the first of anyone to ride up and over that hill. But the prize was short lived. the hassles began after about a month later. So we needed to find a way to eliminate their harassment. A neighbor threw out a 1947 Phantom complete with tank, rack springer fork and fenders. I looked at it and sais to myself: "Self, this looks like
    an overgrown stingray." so I took the bike home and aired up the tires and then began eliminating the fenders, rack and finally when My great uncle got wind of what I was trying to do that big comfy tractor seat. My buddies all had these bikes from their older brothers and soon had their own versions. We went to the feild and we again challenged this little 'gang' to a return match of hill climbing. this time all of us made it up and over while only one of them just made to the top. We all proceeded to ride those trails and found out how much fun it was. Of course the "gang ' tried to run us off but those big 26" tires were much faster and could take obstacles much better than those Stingrays. So that was my first taste of riding in the dirt.

Until Later........PEACE
    Oldear and Family.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear, that sounds so familiar! I remember the days of modifying the old schwinn's both 20" & 26". That's all we had back in the 60's & 70's.
    Funny how. The fat bike kinda takes me there!

Thanks OldBear...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice story.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My first bike in the 70 was a 20'' and I remember that it was fun, now my Boris X5 make me remember that bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Nice thread but I don't know how you guys (and gals) do it. I just built up a Pug, and the trails around me are killing me! Off road here in No. Nevada means HILLS---I'm sucking wind like I'm dying. Flats are fine, pavement is fine, but off road??! I'll either be in incredible shape in six months or dead of a heart attack along the trail somewhere!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Nice thread but I don't know how you guys (and gals) do it. I just built up a Pug, and the trails around me are killing me! Off road here in No. Nevada means HILLS---I'm sucking wind like I'm dying. Flats are fine, pavement is fine, but off road??! I'll either be in incredible shape in six months or dead of a heart attack along the trail somewhere!!
    Just increase your time on the bike gradually. Do both street and off road roding. The trails can beat you up if you ride them all the time. The road gives you a great base because you can keep a better cadence and aerobic base. I vary my surfaces as much as I can. Patience.

Rippin da fAt
    What Robert said! ^^ Moderation... It takes time to work your way up. If you can avoid using your car for a quick errand, do it. Any excuse to put on a couple miles is a god one.
    Ride lots! Varied terrain helps greatly, too.

I had to start over after having a massive coronary and heart surgery. In the beginning I felt like a 70's Toyota 4 cylinder with burnt valves. That was the hard part. Perseverance
    has gone a long way toward recovery.

That Pug will bring with it a lotta good times, so ride often as you can and go a little longer as you progress! Again Patience, perseverance and moderation...

Oh yeah, welcome to OldBear's old fart's thread!

OldBear, the collection of bikes sounds very nice! Vintage bikes are awesome!

Today is an office day for me, so when the fatty gets restless, I will hit the local trail. Not much flat ground there but rolling hills are good enough.
    My bike is liking the feel of dirt between its treads!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-photo.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What Robert said! ^^ Moderation... It takes time to work your way up. If you can avoid using your car for a quick errand, do it. Any excuse to put on a couple miles is a god one.
    Ride lots! Varied terrain helps greatly, too.

I had to start over after having a massive coronary and heart surgery. In the beginning I felt like a 70's Toyota 4 cylinder with burnt valves. That was the hard part. Perseverance
    has gone a long way toward recovery.

That Pug will bring with it a lotta good times, so ride often as you can and go a little longer as you progress! Again Patience, perseverance and moderation...

Oh yeah, welcome to OldBear's old fart's thread!

OldBear, the collection of bikes sounds very nice! Vintage bikes are awesome!

Today is an office day for me, so when the fatty gets restless, I will hit the local trail. Not much flat ground there but rolling hills are good enough.
    My bike is liking the feel of dirt between its treads!
    Well, at 54 I guess I might qualify for the old farts thread. What's frustrating is that I do ride, quite a bit. I have a hybrid that I can take out and go for thirty miles on pavement, no problem. The fattie I can take out and roll on pavement for miles. But off road? On the hills and on sand/decomposed granite and loose rock? I"m out of gas every other time I turn around and there's youngsters out here that don't even seem to be breathing hard!! No, I'm not used to riding off road, this is my first ever 'mountain' bike, but good grief----I hope things get easier soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, at 54 I guess I might qualify for the old farts thread. What's frustrating is that I do ride, quite a bit. I have a hybrid that I can take out and go for thirty miles on pavement, no problem. The fattie I can take out and roll on pavement for miles. But off road? On the hills and on sand/decomposed granite and loose rock? I"m out of gas every other time I turn around and there's youngsters out here that don't even seem to be breathing hard!! No, I'm not used to riding off road, this is my first ever 'mountain' bike, but good grief----I hope things get easier soon!
    You'll get better, but it can be frustrating at times like you said. Consistent rides, even though short, you'll build up.

Rippin da fAt
    It takes time and patience. after a couple months you will come to the realization that you are doing more. it is progressive getting in the groove.
    I never thought I would be starting over, so to speak. Having gone through some trauma, and reality sets in during the process of getting back
    into life, it's foreign to me. I have to remind folks that I have ridden with for years that I am still rehabilitating. With all the riding lately I have
    noticed improvements well after they have come to be.

Keep it safe and sane so you don't lose interest too.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Way back in the day, when I used to ride a roller trainer all winter, I would have the same experience when I started riding on the road. The friction from the surface you are riding on makes a huge difference. The loose surfaces you encounter when riding off road are conspiring to rob you of forward momentum. I have found this to be even more pronounced with fat tires. Some of it can be offset with tire pressure, but mostly you just get used to it.

mtbr member
    loneviking, keep at it, I'm struggling right now. I didn't do much this winter and I'm paying for it presently. But I keep getting out when I can as much as possible. I have to remind myself that your just starting over and it's gonna be tough for a lil bit. I'm waiting to get into riding shape before I get on a Fatboy I'm looking at. I'll then ride a few and make a decision. I presently riding my Crosstrail which I changed into a 29'er. I also have a Gravity 29'er that I will be selling once I find the fat bike I want .....I think. LOL

I'm typing this as I sit with an ice pack on the outside of my right knee to help reduce the pain I've been experiencing after rides. Some of us are having issues and we'll keep at until it gets better.

Keep pedaling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Heartwarming, informative...Human!

Good Morning and Happy (pre) Easter and/or Passover to Everyone!
    I began reading this thread around 11:30 PM last night and could not stop! From happy, to helpful, to sad and concerned, I was riveted. oldbear52/Fred you are a wonderful and inspiring and kind and just a plain old Good Guy!
    I just purchased a Framed Mini-Sota 2.0 and had hoped it would arrive before foot surgery. Alas, it did not so I have this beautiful Fat Bike staring me in the face each day (so I can sit on it and dream for 3-4 weeks before my maiden voyage)! I've only done a very short test drive on another fatty (Specialized 24") before I ordered the Mini-Sota. I know that may be dumb and not good planning but it is what it is. I'm short and only have a 26.5-27 inch stand over height so after researching thought I better stick with something that would fit me and make my ride safer. I haven't biked for decades and need to get in shape. The draw of a Fat Bike was calling me due to the ever present FUN Factor! As a young gal I thoroughly enjoyed jumping curbs and riding everywhere (as we did as kids because it was the best and only mode of transportation). I've missed that so much.
    oldbear52 has really got me thinking. Get my health in order at 58 and don't waste anymore time.
    He and robertdavid (and many others) proved to me that there are still some exceptionally wonderful and caring people in this world! You all don't know me and I do not know you but this thread is special and I feel it has created a really nice place to visit with "real" people behind the comments.
    I have learned a ton already and plan to keep learning and taking all of the tips and suggestions and advice to heart.
    Thanks Everyone! Happy (and healthy) Riding!

Rippin da fAt
    BeeZoo,

You have found a rare thread indeed. OldBear started something here with goodness all the way. It has been a support group for many.

Now that you have been absorbed, resistance is futile!!!
    Just be patient with your healing process so you can enjoy the fAt sooner.
    I must say, the fat bike does reduce you to a giggly kid again!

Wish you well in healing.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah we've all kind of fallen into the thread. I come back daily to see if there is any news on Mrs. oldbear and hope she is well.

You'll find yourself back here now that you've found it wondering how everyone is doing.

Funny people don't understand the connection you can find via the internet. I'm a member of a surf fishing website that is a true community. We get together, raise money for kids do all kinds of things and it's all through a website like this. I've made a bunch of friends that I now fish with from the site. Ya never know when you run into some one on a ride or trail and ask do you post on any websites, you'll end up meeting people from here at some point.

Welcome BeeZoo and enjoy.

Rippin da fAt
    I found myself reluctant to ask about Mrs. OldBear as she will be undergoing quite a surgery. Well here goes!

OldBear, in my routine prayer I prayed for a successful surgery and speedy recovery as well as for the Bears to deal with this difficult time in the family.

We are praying for you and you are in our thoughts!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    BeeZoo,

You have found a rare thread indeed. OldBear started something here with goodness all the way. It has been a support group for many.

Now that you have been absorbed, resistance is futile!!!
    Just be patient with your healing process so you can enjoy the fAt sooner.
    I must say, the fat bike does reduce you to a giggly kid again!

Wish you well in healing.
    Yeah we've all kind of fallen into the thread. I come back daily to see if there is any news on Mrs. oldbear and hope she is well.

You'll find yourself back here now that you've found it wondering how everyone is doing.

Funny people don't understand the connection you can find via the internet. I'm a member of a surf fishing website that is a true community. We get together, raise money for kids do all kinds of things and it's all through a website like this. I've made a bunch of friends that I now fish with from the site. Ya never know when you run into some one on a ride or trail and ask do you post on any websites, you'll end up meeting people from here at some point.

Welcome BeeZoo and enjoy.
    BansheeRune and CHIEF500,

Thank you for the kind words (and I am already wondering how everyone is doing)! Yes, resistance is futile! I will soon be a fat-bike borg! (and welcome it!). LOL!
    I totally agree with the connections made within internet discussion groups. I've met some really great people over the years who are very generous with their talents and time. I totally appreciate that and offer help and share info whenever I can as well. I never want to stop learning and love the human side of these posts as well. It's not just writing in a box on a page. There are "real" living people behind those words and that's important to me.

Mrs. oldbear and Mr. oldbear52 are in my thoughts and prayers as well. I wish for nothing more than good health and happiness for this entire group!
    Cheers!
    BeeZoo (aka Janet)

Rippin da fAt
    Thanx, BeeZoo! This has been one of the most enjoyable threads.

Glad you found it and are enjoying it!

Be well all. I will get out for a fAt time between General Conference sessions today.
    Hope everyone has a great Easter/Passover!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Have a nice Easter Sunday. Get out and ride. I am.

Rippin da fAt
    I hope everyone had a great holiday!

I did not ride today because of General Conference. Saturday was a warm day with a ride across town to visit my brother and take a detour on a trail on the way home. During my visit, I helped him out with a couple chores after which, I discovered he had baked 3 loaves of banana bread. We enjoyed a couple slices. My, my was it delicious!

The ride home was a mini adventure on a short trail along the way. The route turned out to be about 15 miles of riding at a good pace. When I arrived home, I checked my bp 115/75 and pulse 85. I think it has to do with the meds I'm on for my heart 'cause I was pedaling a bit more aggressively this time around. Felt great to get out with the fatty for some quality time!

OldBear, how are you doing? I hope all is well. We will be praying for you and Mrs. OldBear.

Robert, how was your Easter ride? Look forward to hearing about it!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I hope everyone is doing well and has a nice week. Rode long yesterday, trails, pavement, and some gravel. The weather was about perfect. Been wanting to do that route for awhile. Glad Bansheerune had a good ride and some banana bread. Nice treat. Hope the Bear Family is doing well along with everyone else.

mtbr member

I have been BUSY

Hi everyone!

I hope you all had a great day yesterday. I have been busy with what seems like endless Dr.'s appointments for Mrs. Oldbear and Myself. It seems that the surgery will happen in June. We heard from a clinic in St. Louis and we have to travel there in late April for a first consultation.
    I have a consult scheduled with an ear nose and throat doctor to address some encapsulated cancer on my right ear. It seems that I might lose about half my ear to it.

Yesterday though I had an epic ride over on the Berryman with our usual crew. We rode it end to end and hada ball. We rode a little more aggresively than usual and I actually kept up. My O2 level stayed at 97% and my heart rate did go up to around 110 at the mid point but after a cool down at the other end it was back doiwn to the mid 60's.

I would like to welcome both Loneviking and Beezoo to our little family You guys will find a group that supports and encourages one another here and don't be afraid to share anything both Fat bike related and not.

SWe are going to try to convert a Schwinn trike for Mama bear into a fat bike. a neighbor threw out his wife's old trike and it's a twentysix inch model. I will put a fat fork on the front and have my LBS build up some fat rear wheels for it. It will be ready after she has surgery and recovers. As she looses more weight I think I will get her a real fat bike. She loves to ride but just can't right now.

Bansheerun: Thanks for your prayers. We really appreciate them.

Robertdavid: Keep on riding. Did you get your Fatboy bacl yet?

until,later.........PEACE
    Oldbear and Family, FRED SUE and SEAN

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Good for you Oldbear52!!!! Glad to hear mountain biking is improving your life! In the end, Mountain Biking is about gettting out there and living! And thats the best ticket to good health!

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Dang, it seems we get something sorted and something else falls apart! I need to check my warrantee, that may be why I'm falling apart! Doh!

Hope you don't lose so much of your ear...Just get rid of that cancer before it gets outta control. Glad to hear you have sorted the surgery for Mrs. OldBear! May the consult etc. go well for her! Make sure you tell her the Mrs. OlsBear fan club offers our prayers and support.

As for turning a 3 wheeler into a Jeep, uh, fAt three wheeler, Killer idea! look forward to seeing pix! Three Bears raid the Berryman trail, film at 11! Glad to hear you are ramping it up for a better workout. How is your weight doing with all the riding? And those #'s, BP and heart rate are doing great! Keep it up, my friend!

And to all, happy Monday!!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Well, some Bears had an epic weekend ride.

Glad to hear you have some stuff sorted out as to dates even if it isn't fun stuff. At least it gives you something solid so you can plan and prepare mentally for it. Still it sucks.

Well, I rode on pavement today due to early day rain. Fatty is still waiting for a part. Bike companies take their time getting stuff to the shops.

Have a good week and keep the posts coming. I am hoping to do either a 4 or 6 hour race in two weeks if the weather will cooperate. Also found a 6 hour series that has a Fat Bike division. Sweet.

Rippin da fAt

Cool-blue Rhythm

Robert,

Glad you had a ride today, even if it was pavement! Sorry to hear the fatty is still in the bikespital. Hope you get it back soon so you can maintain the fAt!

Today I had an adventure on the deer trails, exploring the nearby hills.
    Warm, sunny and a couple deer caught me poaching their trails!Fat Biking and health-img_0211.jpgFat Biking and health-img_0209.jpg

Good times!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Great pics and that bike looks super nice.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks Robert! It sure is the fun ride of my new childhood! Still need to change it back into it's summer shoes tho', just been lazy about it cause it's toobless.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Pavement ride again today. Saw a road biker down on the greenway. Hit some mud and whammo. He was okay but glad he was wearing a helmet. Road with him until he was okay. I think he called someone to maybe come get him. Pavement riding is okay but when you hit the deck it is gonna hurt.

Rippin da fAt
    Glad he was ok thru that! Even hitting the dirt is going to leave a mark.

Had a good trail ride today with a friend. Lotsa singletrack with a soft powdery dirt layer on top of hardpack. Kicking up some dust with a fatty brings a big grin out!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nice bike, love the wildlife shots.

Glad to hear the fellow biker was OK. As an ex-EMT/ FF I stop to help whenever I see someone in trouble. It's my nature.
    Trails or road, bouncing is no fun. I ride both because of the urban area I live in and don't have the time to drive to trails after work.
    No ride yesterday, I got my first tat and my wife took her Dad to the hospital for some minor issues. He was admitted which we expected. I need to have a discussion with him. He's a hard headed ex-FF too (he's 82) so we can talk things out without any BS.

Keep pedaling.
    Last edited by CHIEF500; 04-08-2015 at 08:11 AM.

Rippin da fAt
    Hey Chief!

hope everything works out for ya.

Finally broke down and put the summer shoes on my bike yesterday. Out for a short ride in the dirt. Good times!

Fat Biking and health-img_0217.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Down 5 lbs in 9 days! Still got a 4 to go to hit what i was last fall and then keep on with the downward loss. Easy to lose the winter weight, its the old weight that's a b*tch. Just got a Farley and its a work out for sure! I commute 23 km a day, alot of its along the river where the single track trails are so this coming winter will be great! studded my old 98 schwinn moab and had to take a longer route that was all pavement and got bored and only made it to Christmas.... I need full time contacts, the fogging was driving me bonkers and i was burning threw my daily disposables for snowmobiling like crazy. Tried OTG scotts with a fan and still no luck.

Heres some pics from my commute yesterday, got some nice spring snow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-11150536_10153176605503948_6320725775844332504_n.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-11112721_10153177873598948_8628943580250789182_n.jpg  

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Rippin da fAt
    I heard that hanging out with Mr. Farley tends to do that!

Now that you have a fatty to go on adventures with you'll meet your goal. Not to mention every ride with a fatty is in fact an adventure!

Welcome to OldBear's thread, it's a fun place!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    She's back from the bikespital.

Fat Biking and health-0408151801-00.jpg

They opened up the local trails. Little slick in places but I had a great ride out there. Dang, I missed riding this bike the past two weeks.

Now, that is over with. How is the Bear family doing? I see that Bansheerune is wanting to go faster this summer with those new 4.0 tires.

I may keep the Ground Controls on there because I am too lazy to swap them out and I think they may do okay. Of course I may change my mind. If I do chaching goes the bike shop register. LOL

Usually I am not lazy about doing stuff like that. Too many bikes to take care of, I guess.

mtbr member
    Good job solarplex, keep at it. the weight will start to slide off.

robertdavid, congrats on getting the bike out of the bikespital. I'm sure you had a smile of yer face today.

No ride for me today, worked late, visited my FIL in the people hospital, he's doing good. Hopefully he gets out tomorrow. Cold, rainy, just plain nasty here today. Same for tomorrow. Dr appointment for me tomorrow, getting the knee checked and a shot which should help with my riding I hope.

Hope the oldbears are doing well.

Rippin da fAt
    Glad you sprung your bike from the joint, Robert! Wait, HED wheels on that bike???O.O Tasty!!!
    Reunited and it feels so good!!! Bet that was the ride you've been longing for the last 2 weeks!

The GC's are rather heavy I found when I was looking for a tire that will last a little longer than the Surly's with the 42a rubbuh! Went with the D5's for the air volume. Tomorrow I will go to the lbs to pick up a pair of Knard 26x3.0's for My Turner SixPack. Thank God they are 1/2 the weight of the ole Gazzalodi's. Those tires just suck down the sandwiches.
    It should increase the fuel economy nicely! Pix to follow.

BTW: Those GC's should be good to go, lest you are taking your bike to Jenny Craig!!

Good luck with the knees, Chief. Hope the weather starts cooperatin' soon!!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Hello all!

Didn't do a real ride today, but did ride my bike for some errands. It was rather chilly early on today. The afternoon was nice tho'.

This Saturday will be a group ride at an multi use trail system located near the town of Rifle. It should prove to be good riding with dry and warm riding. I am torn on which bike to take, as I received the Knard 26x3.0's for My SixPack today! The excitement if getting them on my bike and taking a 10 minute ride on 'em was a jones I haven't experienced in a while. Now I have to get after it and get used to the bike all over again 'cause I haven't ridden it since before the heart attack. Oh my, how small tire bikes differ from the fatty!

OldBear, you've been quiet again, Hope you are ok and just busy. Looking forward to hearing about your new bike when it arrives!
    The Bears are in my thoughts and prayers!

Robert, Hope you have some news on a ride with the fatty for us! Glad you gotter back!

Chief, did you ride today??

Solar, how's the riding going??
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    No ride for me the last few days (Monday was last) FIL is in the hospital, the rest of my wife's family has the dry hacking cough and can't go to visit so I'm on that duty for a bit. He's doing good, some issues, but good. Weather has been cold and rainy here in SE Penna. Thunderstorm this morning, I WILL ride this afternoon prior to a hospital visit. I'm still collecting funds (selling off extra fishing gear) to get near the fat bike I'm looking at. Still need to get in shape to ride it before I'd buy.

Old bear a lil report for us please.

I hope everyone gets out this weekend, supposed to be nice.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Sorry to hear! Hope the hospital stay is short and healing is speedy!

As for riding...get out there if the weather will oblige. Go buy that fatty, it'll motivate you greatly!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief, Hope your FIL is getting better. Hospitals are no fun.

I rode my fatty for the 3rd day in a row. Tomorrow is a no ride day for me. Work is longer and my body needs a day off from riding. Hope all have a nice weekend. Old Bear and family, how about a shout out when you can.

Will do my usual longer Sunday ride and then watch the final round of the Masters Golf Tournament with my mom. Hey, we've done it for so many years I have forgotten how many. It's a tradition unlike any other.
    I used to play a lot of golf and a few amateur events. Love the game but mountain biking became all I wanted to do for recreation.

Rippin da fAt
    Here is the Turner with his new pair of Chucks!!

So far they seem to perform well. It's pseudo fAt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-image.jpg  

Fat Biking and health-image.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Banshee, your country looks a lot like mine. Here's one from riding a powerline road this last Wednesday.

Fat Biking and health-bike-powerline-road.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    There is some similarity! Nice Pugz!

[QUOTE=loneviking;11896611]Banshee, your country looks a lot like mine. Here's one from riding a powerline road this last Wednesday.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Got one in this morning. This is near the end of my ride.
    Fat Biking and health-img_0523.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, where is the location of your pic?

Another adventure with the fAtty today! Out in the dirt with friends for the afternoon made for a great day. Wasn't feeling as energetic as I would have liked. Still a great time tho'.

Here's a pic from riding the washes on the valley floor...Damn, really wanted to ride under the arch!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Biking and health-img_0220.jpg  

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics. Glad you both had a good time. Hope I can ride longer tomorrow. No ride on Saturdays for me. My body thanks me for it.

Rippin da fAt
    Hey Robert,

Sorry to hear of no ride Saturdays.

How is the fatty riding now that it's outta the bikespital? Hope you have been getting out and riding strong! I'm pooped after todays adventure!

OldBear, I hope everything is going well. We are having withdrawl without the usual adventure report. I'm sure you have been busy getting things sorted for Mrs. OldBear's up coming surgery. Thoughts and prayers...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    BansheeRune, that is the southern end of the Delaware Canal in Bristol PA.

Rippin da fAt
    Sure is gorgeous!

No excuse to not ride there I suspect!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Loving the fatty and missing Saturdays is part of the deal called work.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I do get a little concerned when FredOldBearPeace doesn't post.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert,

I know that 4 letter word quite well, being a business owner...

OldBear is AWOL, and it's concerning...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah, I think we're all on the same page wondering how things are with the old bear family.

Banshee, that's home too.

It's flat, but scenic. I do a loop that gets me onto the canal path a few miles north of home and get the pedal it into town. Working to get back into riding shape since I didn't do enough this winter. Knee felt MUCH better after yesterday's ride and looking forward to today's. Waiting for the temp's to rise a little since we had a frost warning last night.

Oldbear how about a post today to let us know things are OK.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Flat riding is great conditioning. Don't be too hasty about working your way back. It takes time. Put a little more effort into it from time to time. ramp it up over time tho'.

I think the truancy officer is on the lookout for our missing OldBear!
    Hope the Bears are well...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yep, well aware of the time it takes. I'm training for a ride that the Phillies are having on May 25 it's 25 miles thru Philly so that will be fun. Gonna ride with friends and my daughter so no hurry or need to pile on miles. Working presently to get my knee under control and my ass used to the saddle again.

What a beautiful day to ride today. Enjoy.

Rippin da fAt
    Bike seats are a challenge for sure! Trying different ones to find one that works can be difficult.

Keep it up Chief!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Flat riding requires constant cadence. I think it can be harder than up and down sometimes. I hope OldBear is okay and is just testing our ability to handle stress.

Rippin da fAt
    I too enjoy some flat riding because it keeps a constant cadence, indeed!

OldBear is hiding from the truancy officer!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    It's been a week and no oldbear, getting pretty concerned. I hope all is well with him and the family.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Sent him a pm, no reply as of yet.

Hope you have been riding!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I read this thread when it was first posted, and hadn't come back.
    I'll be honest, I'm not much for talking about personal stuff over the internet.
    BUT - this is more ride report then the rest of the fat forum combined.
    Good on you guys and thanks for taking the time to post some photos!

Rippin da fAt
    We are very ride orientated, indeed! We have had wonderful things happen in life, like heart attack. So, yep, every ride is a blessing and adventure. For instance, my cardiologist prescribed a fat bike and now let me off the hook from cardiac rehab if I ride 4 days a week for 1 1/2 hours each ride. Where do I sign up for that was my response! So I bought a bike for my birthday and for rehab. Now the fatty is my daily driver. Nope, can't get enough!

Thanks for the comment Tfinator...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah I've been riding, everyday since Saturday, easy day yesterday. I try to bump it a lil today since it's nice out again. Rain due Friday, not that it stops me but I like getting a rest day in now and then.

Rippin da fAt
    Sounds like progression, Chief! Get after it...

Last Saturday was my most strenuous ride to date! Felt good to get in a "good ride" for a change. It has been a year as of the 10th, and it has seemed like I hit a plateau for a while. Now it is progression again, thank the Lord! It was a long enough ride to leave my gas gauge on "E" tho'.

The truancy officer is on the lookout for OldBear! Hoping he and his family are well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    anyone out there? anyone riding? ANYONE???

Rippin da fAt
    Mornin' Robert!

I have been kinda lazy this week. we've had high winds, rain and chilly weather this week, so my rides have been short.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I've been out everyday since last Friday. Ahead of last years mileage and starting to feel good. The butt is just about used to the saddle again so I can add time. I may get out today but definitely looking forward to tomorrow's almost 80 degrees.

Rippin da fAt
    You're killin' me Chief! 80??? Enjoy!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Yeah 78 tomorrow, cooler and rainy this morning, a lil cooler Sunday and nasty on Monday. I get a few in today I hope. I add a mile for you.

Rippin da fAt
    Doh!

Frigid with rain today, might have to hit the street instead of my favorite haunts.

OldBear, where are you? Scooby snacks!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I rode 16 miles of Single track late yesterday afternoon on my single speed. I hadn't ridden it in about 3 weeks so it was feeling kinda left out. Had to drive 45 minutes each way to get to Montgomery Bell trail because it is the only one around that is open and actually dry enough to ride. Will be a rainy road ride tomorrow. Oh well, that is why I have rain gear. Okay, OldBear, please let us know how things are going, good, bad, or indifferent. Banshee and Chief, have a nice Sunday and I hope you have better weather than I expect to have.

mtbr member
    What a day, 80's sunny, nice breeze. Had to take the in-laws dog (Suzy Q) to the vet this morning with the wife. Got back around 11 and got out for a 13 mile ride. Really beautiful out. Got back and cut the grass and straightened out the yard. My daughter took my single speed out for a few this morning too.
    Looking forward to tomorrow morning's ride.
    Enjoy the weekend.

Oldbear, how about a lil report please. Hope all is well with you.

mtbr member
    Doh!

Frigid with rain today, might have to hit the street instead of my favorite haunts.

OldBear, where are you? Scooby snacks!
    Scooby snacks? Yum!
    Sorry that's been awhile but I am going thru the wringer. I went to an Ear nose and throat Doctor to have my right ear checked because I have a sore that just won't heal on it. It is skin cancer. I have had a cat scan and hopefully it hasn't spread to the INSIDE of my ear. But the Doc says it doesn't look like it. but i do have to undergo inpatient surgery to have half of my ear removed. That will happen sometime in the next three weeks. So I've been depressed and actually feeling sorry for myself. Finally I just thought to myself...self what the hell is wrong with you?: you can't hear out of that ear anway so what's the diff? plus Mama bear had enough of a gloomy gus and kicked me out of the house and made me go for a long ride with Tom up on the Berryman. They only thing is now i ride with sun screen o n my ears.
    Now for some good news. I just received my new bike this week. Yup I got my gloss black Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. Changed the tires off the other bike and took that one on the "getout of the house"trip to the Berryman. I love the Bluto!

Until tomorrow (I promise) ......PEACE

Oldbear and family...( Fred, Sue and Sean)

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your ear. Glad to finally here from you. Thanks.

mtbr member
    OldBear52,
    Sorry to hear about your ear troubles, and congrats on the new bike. You are an inspiration! When I am feeling lazy or in a funk and don't want to ride, I think of you and the joy that biking brings us. Never fails to get me up and out the door. Best wishes, and keep those fat tires turning!

Rippin da fAt
    OLDBEAR!!!

Glad to hear the ear problem gas been sorted. Thankfully it hasn't spread too far and is fairly treatable.
    Thank you Mrs OldBear for kicking Oldbear in the arse out the door!
    Congrats on the new bike! Yay! Glad Mrs. OldBear was wise and told you to get your butt out the door and on your new bike!

Thank God the truancy officer caught you!!!

Where are the pix of the new ride?!?!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    FINALLY, we've all been worried.
    Tough news about the ear, we all hope that it gets taken care of quickly. Just another thing to deal with.
    Good for Ma bear throwing your azz out of the house and getting you out for a ride.

LIL cooler for this morning's ride after yesterday. I hit some gravel and stone roads through a private camping area around some lakes up the river from my house. Then down the canal path and along some back roads and thru a park most of it into the wind. As I can out of the park I realized I had breeze in my face again. I turned and found a repaved roadway for the majority of the ride back towards home. Man it was smooth. Felt good, got out for my longest ride so far for the season.

Glad to hear from you oldbear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    OldBear52,

I've been lurking in the forum since I don't have much to contribute (yet) with Fat Biking so couldn't click the link fast enough in my email to see your response and the other members responses too. Take care and keep your chin up! YOU ARE such an inspiration!

You are so right about using the sunscreen...always! Skin cancer can show up years and years later as I have found out. All those sun bathing days using (of all things) baby oil and "frying" in the sun caught up with me. I'm pretty sure I got some 3rd degree burns on my lily white/fish body skin back in the day! LOL! I slack off sometimes now but try and really remember to apply sunscreen everyday.

Congrats on your new bike. Such a fun and "oh so cool" way to help you outta your funk...

Best to you and Sue and Sean!
    Janet [aka BeeZoo]

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

1951 Cadillac "Spare Tire" Parking

Oh, I know this isn't about Fat Biking but I think it will bring a smile to everyone's face!
    (hope I'm not out of line here...)

1951 Cadillac "Spare Tire" Parking - Really Clever! We need this in the big city!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfq7NNYEHcg

mtbr member
    Hello All!

It's raining today so no ride. But I have a membership in our local parks red center and they have a 'spinning room'. I just might get a friend to take me there and spin for an hour or so and then hit the heated pool for some low impact aroebics.

I wan to thank you all for your well wishes. From the biopsy my ear swelled and got quite painful. My doctor put me on antibiotics and some pain killer that is making me sleepy. (Demarol). I do not tale them during the day because of that side effect only at night.

We are planning another trip to Castlewood State Park. I want to see hoe the Pro handles on those trails. One thing i can tell you is that Bluto fork helps with the arthritis in my hands and shoulders. I just added some barends to give me more hand positions. I know it's 'ols school' but I got used to them out west when I rode in eastern Utah.

BeeZoo- Feeol fre to post what you like here. Not only is this thread supposed to be a health one but i hope that we all can be entertained too.

Until Later...........PEACE
    Oldbear and family (Fred Sue and Sean)

Rippin da fAt
    Thanx for the laugh, BeeZoo!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeZoo View Post
    Oh, I know this isn't about Fat Biking but I think it will bring a smile to everyone's face!
    (hope I'm not out of line here...)

1951 Cadillac "Spare Tire" Parking - Really Clever! We need this in the big city!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfq7NNYEHcg
    OldBear
    Glad you are getting out and doing some activity. Our weather has been sleet, yuk!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Great video. Hi to all. Hang in there OldBear!

mtbr member
    Hi All!

I actually got out this afternoon androde over to st. James on my Road racing Bike and back. 25 miles in all and let me say I WON"T DO THAT AGAIN> I am so used to riding a Fatty that I felt every bump and vibration from the road. My hands a SORE and my shoulder ache. I actually took some demerol for the pain. I want to let you know that my road bike is going to going back into storage. I found that I have shrunk an inch and it no longer fits me. It's a 23 inch bike and I need a 21 or 22 inch road bike. I was stretched WA OUT and took a real beating.
    Tomorrow will be my rest day and then I have the rest of the week to go ride in the dirt. The temps all week are going to be high 's60's and mid '70's. and not much rain. Just Wednesday. I have a DR.'s appointment to schedule surgery then

Sean wanted tp take a riddes tonight and doesn't quite grasp how much pain Daddy is in. I think tomorrow that we will go ride the bike path in the afternoon after i putmin soime time on the trails at Lion's Club Park.

Well that all the news from the Ozarks every one go out and get some miles in!

Until Tomorrow.....................PEACE

Old bear and Family...(Fred Sue and Sean)

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Sorry to hear the roadie isn't cutting it. Hope you have the pain under control. At least you had a ride today!
    Must admit, the fatty has been getting the miles. The trials bike has been out and about some too. It is a very unique bike.

Here the bugger is...

Fat Biking and health-image.jpg
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    Hi All!

I actually got out this afternoon androde over to st. James on my Road racing Bike and back. 25 miles in all and let me say I WON"T DO THAT AGAIN> I am so used to riding a Fatty that I felt every bump and vibration from the road. My hands a SORE and my shoulder ache. I actually took some demerol for the pain...
    The answer is going fat on the road. I now use a 29er set up as a road bike. Big Apple 2.35" semi-slicks at 20psi roll very nicely, especially on roads that have been cut up by frost damage.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    The answer is going fat on the road. I now use a 29er set up as a road bike. Big Apple 2.35" semi-slicks at 20psi roll very nicely, especially on roads that have been cut up by frost damage.

Nice ride there.

mtbr member
    Nice ride there.
    Thanks. It certainly does ride well.

I set up one of my other 29ers like this last year, and then did a 120 mile day loop round the north west Highlands in Scotland, and that was equally comfortable. Fat tyres make a huge difference on and off the road once you lose the mindset that it's all about speed. However my average was actually much the same as normal. The ability of a low rolling resistance balloon tyre to handle poor roads outweighs any advantage that skinny tyres might have had.

Edit:

I forgot - I wrote it up on this forum. Here's the link if it interests you

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Any bike, anywhere, anytime.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Rippin da fAt
    Velo,

This statement makes the difference!!

"Fat tyres make a huge difference on and off the road once you lose the mindset that it's all about speed."

The peeps that are thinking they are racing are missing out on ride quality.

Great looking bike, Dood!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Velobike: Way Cool bike. The bars remind me of how the early pros in MTB racing set up their bikes. I would love to ride the highlands, as It is part of my ancestral home. My clan in Scotland is Stewart. Keep on posting!

Un6til later.............PEACE
    Oldbear and family...........Fred, Sue and sean

mtbr member
    Thanks. It certainly does ride well.

I set up one of my other 29ers like this last year, and then did a 120 mile day loop round the north west Highlands in Scotland, and that was equally comfortable. Fat tyres make a huge difference on and off the road once you lose the mindset that it's all about speed. However my average was actually much the same as normal. The ability of a low rolling resistance balloon tyre to handle poor roads outweighs any advantage that skinny tyres might have had.

Edit:

I forgot - I wrote it up on this forum. Here's the link if it interests you

It sure is beautiful over across the pond.
    My marraige is a mixed marriage. My wife's family came from the Lowlands and I am of Highland descent.

Today is a rest day. So I will just take it easy. My Buddy Tom is going to install my new pedals on my Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro, here after referred to as Pro. ]
    Plus we are changing a few things on my SS.I bought some Mission Vee 8's for it plus we Are putting some new pedals on it too.
    I might, just might break out the klunker and ride around the neighborhood with Sean. Otherwise Iam just going to be a slacker today

Until Later.........PEACE

Oldbear and family......Fre, Sue and Sean

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

How are the Bears today? Hope you are feeling better. Are you taking a break today or going out for a ride?

I might have e reprieve in the sleet today for a ride, Yay!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I got in a two hour road ride on my bike I have set up for gravel today. It is soaking wet everywhere here. Water is still standing in spots on the roads. Got more rain this morning. Great. Hope everyone had a good ride today. My fatty is not feeling loved lately. May have to go and soothe her feelings by heading about 45 minutes down the road to the only trail that is open. Hate the drive time, like the trail. Will depend on work tomorrow.

Rippin da fAt
    Good to hear you did a ride today Robert. I did a 1 hour ride. Hope the weather report is good for the rest of the week.

Keep on riding!

Chief, did you ride lately?
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Off day yesterday, had a nice massage, back at it this evening.

mtbr member
    Hello All!

Got out this morning for a few laps on the trails at :Lion's Club. Then i stopped by our LBS and looked at a Trek Farley 6. Really nice bike, but, I like my pro a little better. Saw a nice Single speed and test rode it around the block. I felt a little like a traitor to my fatty and quickly handed it back to the store clerk.
    O the ride today I encountered a famil;y out on their Walgeese dolos. The father asked ho2w much my pro was and when I told him $999 and he let out one of those low whistles that means "boy that's expensive" Then i told him how much it would actually retail for and he asked where i bought it from. I told him Bikesdirect.com and then let him ride the Pro for a buit and he said do the make any cheaper models and I told him about my Monster. So we decided to continue the conversation at McD's where they have WiFi. (his treat) We used his laptop and he ordered a Monster for both him and his wife. He then put his Walgeese up for sale on our local
    classifieds.
    All in all a good day I explored a little off the trails I usually use and had a ball. No 'speed' work just an easy workout. I am building back up to riding a little more Gonzo and actually tackling some of the small berms in the system.
    Now a little about my new ride. It's a 20" gloss black beast. Right now It's riding on my old Husker Du's off the monster and they'll do until June. Try7ing to figureoout what cycling computer to get and maybe a nicer saddle, although the stock WTB is nice.
    When we took it out for it's maiden voyage on the Berryman, I was pleasantly surprise how well it handles. It climbs like a tick going up your leg. Since the stroke I am a little unsteady standing up on the bike on climbs and downhills so I am working on that There was no self steer right out of the box and it has the ability of making a lot of traction. Downhill it takes anything the trail, will throw at it. We are going to put my monster into the storage locker. It will be a loaner when friends come to visit. when we move to Moab come October. The damp weather here in winter is starting to take it's toll on my legs. My knees get stiff after a Hot humid day. Last night I was working with some brothers at the local Islamic Center cleaning up the food pantry and when I got home I couldn't bend over and touch the floor. Arthritis is not my friend!
    Well I will write more tomorrow and tell you all about my big adventure up to Jefferson City.

mtbr member
    I actually got to ride my fatty yesterday at the only trail that is dry. Parent rides the rest of this week. Hope everyone has a good rest of this week.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear's contributing to the delinquency of a fellow fatbiker! Great job, Buddy!

Glad you are feeling better and having a great time with your new bike.

Robert, Glad to hear you had some fAt fun...Good to have a convo with you last evening.
    Keep up the fun!

I did go into town yesterday to run some errands, parked the vehicle at the first stop and broke out the fatty for the rest of the errands. street session, Yay! Stop at the pharmacy for my meds, the pharmacist saw those fAt tires and was amazed by them! I said they are the only cardiologist recommended fat! Enjoyed a visit to the gear exchange, one of our LBS's. weather was 65 degrees with low humidity so couldn't have been nicer for a rip 'round town.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi All,

I have not been "around" in a while. It is NOT that I have not been out riding my bicycle, I have been. I have also been Working Out each day and HAVE lost a few more pounds. My Health is SOOOO much better.

Miles this year so far: (I ride a Neon Green Gravity Bullseye Monster)
    January, believe it or not for NW SD, 74.716
    February, 55.346
    March, 53.831
    Not as many miles so far in April, but we have been out riding when we can. We live waaaaay out on the prairie, and if it is wet, it is a sticky, no go, mess! So it is not like when I lived on Pavement in the City. <smiles> But on we go.

It is good to read all the encouraging posts here.

I am Hanging in There! <smiles>

mtbr member
    OldBear,

It is a very unique bike.

Here the bugger is...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	982385
    So? It is Light Weight Then?

Rippin da fAt
    Marna,

It weighs in at 17#'s. Most peeps in the states have never seen a trials bike. They are great fun to play with. The most important part is the skills derived from it are key to any cycling discipline.

This link shows one of the smoothest riders I have seen.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    So? It is Light Weight Then?
    Marna: Great to see you on here again. your mileage looks good. By the way that's not my bike that's Bansheerun's trials bike It is kinda cool looking.

Going up to Jefferson City this afternoon to do some riding with the boys. Hauling up the Pro and the monster. David needs to ride a fatty.He's my middle son. Adam is tgoing to ride his fatty.We are goignto ride out at Binder Lake park on their sweet trails out there and then have some BBQ at David's .

Until tonight......................PEACE

Oldbear and family.........(Fred Sue and Sean)

mtbr member
    Marna,

It weighs in at 17#'s. Most peeps in the states have never seen a trials bike. They are great fun to play with. The most important part is the skills derived from it are key to any cycling discipline.

This link shows one of the smoothest riders I have seen.
    Very KOOOOL! And whatever bicycle "gets you out there"! Ha3

We would LOVE to see photos of you on your bicycle doing some tricks.

Here is my bicycle w/o a seat, and yes, this takes skill too. I have not used it in years and it needs to be fixed or replaced. Deron has talked about building me one for my now dogs Marna&#39;s Menagerie - Front Page out of a FATTY! How KOOOOOL that would be?
    Name:  scooter6.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  45.4 KB

mtbr member
    Marna: Great to see you on here again. your mileage looks good. By the way that's not my bike that's Bansheerun's trials bike It is kinda cool looking.

Going up to Jefferson City this afternoon to do some riding with the boys. Hauling up the Pro and the monster. David needs to ride a fatty.He's my middle son. Adam is tgoing to ride his fatty.We are goignto ride out at Binder Lake park on their sweet trails out there and then have some BBQ at David's .

Until tonight......................PEACE

Oldbear and family.........(Fred Sue and Sean)
    Have Fun! I was born and raised in St. Louis (county) MO, and spent my first 41 years there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marna_Kazmaier View Post
    Have Fun! I was born and raised in St. Louis (county) MO, and spent my first 41 years there.
    UI did have fun! rode from 1-2:30 and had to hurry home to aDr. appt. seems I amgooing to lose most of my right ear on May 4th.

My wife is from W. county (Ballwin) while I grew up in the NW subs of Chicago.

We now live in Rolla and love it.

I am going to sleep early. The Doc. put me onsome HEAVY DUTY pain killer and I am ready for bed. Crikies! It's only 8:48pom!

Good Night All........PEACE

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Hope the surgery goes well for you. How is mrs. OldBear doing?

Ride and BBQ? Doesn't get better than that! Good times with the family are priceless.

Marna,

The trials bike is definitely not a good choice for transportation, it's for strength, balance and skill training as well as just plain good fun. I just wish I had the mad skills that Kevin Liu has. It consumes a huge amount of calories to ride trials as well. It will be a great day when I am feeling well enough for trialsin again. Post heart attack has had an affect on my sense of balance. It is good times rolling around doing trackstands and wheel stands. Soon I will start doing pivots. It has been starting over. Ugh! I shall persevere!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Out of my league, for sure. Hope everyone has a good rest of the week and weekend. Pavement riding the rest of this week due to work obligations.

mtbr member
    Thoughts and prayers oldbear on your upcoming ear surgery.
    No ride yesterday, dangerous storm rolled through around 4 - 4:30. Big time wind gusts 55 - 70 mph thru the area. Trees down, lots of damage and branches down.
    Suns out today, colder but looking to get out this evening.
    Dr appointment tomorrow (annual physical) and I'll ride after.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert, Chief,

I think we need to ride with OldBear, He either has a picnic or a BBQ following a ride!

Not outta your league, if you give it some practice! Pavement? Darned work anyway!
    Chief, we're glad you are safe! enjoy the ride this evening.

OldBear, Thoughts and prayers to ya with all that is happening in your family. Hope you get in a good ride or several before you go in to for surgery.

Be safe all, and a great day to ya!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hi everyone!

I meet with the anestheiologist next Monday I am still anxious and a little scared. So every one saya prayer.

Seanie and I went shopping and then after we got rids of the groceries we rode the paved bike path and had a ball.I then rode outto the Lion's Club and fooled around for an hour and returned home.

Sean and i attended a farewell oarty at the Local Mosque for a friend that is returning to Libya.. I have known him for six years and It'/s a little sad to say goodbye.

Tomorrow it's is supposed to rain. but I am going to t0 try to h=get out in between rain dropos.

Until Tomorrow.............PEACE

Oldbear and family.....(Sue Sean and Fred. )

mtbr member
    Well, actually, got to ride about 4 miles of dirt yesterday in a 20 mile ride after I got off work. Local trail got reopened so I rode from work to the trail short loop and back. Nice weather, in fact a little chilly. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Fred, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Chief and Banshee, same. Now go out and ride because it beats working anytime. IMHO

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Glad you and Sean had an outing and a good time. It's a good day when you can do that. But this time, no BBQ? Shucks!

It's understandable to be apprehensive about going in for surgery. After all, they hit you over the head with a rubber mallet, knife you and take your wallet! In all seriousness, it's just unnerving going in and being under while someone is doing something to you.
    Been there, done that, I still don't like it!

Sorry to hear of your friend that is leaving for home. That's never easy.

Fred, the Bears are in our thoughts and prayers.

Robert, A little dirt is good, considering all the rain you have had lately! Hope the weather improves for ya so you can have a ride without getting the shower during the ride.

Chief, best wishes on the Dr. appointment. Hope you can ride afterward...

Happy Friday, everyone!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    UI did have fun! rode from 1-2:30 and had to hurry home to aDr. appt. seems I amgooing to lose most of my right ear on May 4th.

My wife is from W. county (Ballwin) while I grew up in the NW subs of Chicago.

We now live in Rolla and love it.

I am going to sleep early. The Doc. put me onsome HEAVY DUTY pain killer and I am ready for bed. Crikies! It's only 8:48pom!

Good Night All........PEACE
    BALLWIN!? I have two sons that live on (buying homes) Twigwood!
    I raised my kids at the corner of Big Bend and LaBonne Parkway, literally on the corner, in Manchester.
    My Aunt and Uncle live in Rolla and have for years, since he retired Marines.
    And I have other family in Steeleville. <smiles> My mother was from Cuba, MO. I was born and raised in Kirkwood, I spent my first 41 years not further than 20 minutes from St. Joe's where I was born. Ha3

I am so sorry to hear about your health and your ear. Dang It! But it is encouraging to all of us here how you are/have lost weight and work out now.

Thanks again for a great thread!

mtbr member

Marna,

The trials bike is definitely not a good choice for transportation, it's for strength, balance and skill training as well as just plain good fun. I just wish I had the mad skills that Kevin Liu has. It consumes a huge amount of calories to ride trials as well. It will be a great day when I am feeling well enough for trialsin again. Post heart attack has had an affect on my sense of balance. It is good times rolling around doing trackstands and wheel stands. Soon I will start doing pivots. It has been starting over. Ugh! I shall persevere!
    WOW! and WOW!

WOW! That you can maneuver that thing!
    and WOW! That you had a Heart Attach and feel so good you WANT to maneuver that thing!

Gooooood Foooooor Yoooooou! And glad to hear how well you are doing!

I host a Yahoo Groups elist called Does My Butt Look Big In The Saddle. I tell them, all wanting to lose weight, all the time that riding a bicycle is a Great Work Out and makes you feel like you are 12 y/o again!

And I have to tell you. Since I started riding bicycles again, a year ago, my balance is soooooo much better. It is incredible how it has improved. I am 58 y/o female and, well, with years, most of us already know this. Ha3

You must keep us posted on your No Seat Bike. <smiles> And send photos of you on it doing some tricks.....and remember, on this list, ALL tricks are a big deal.

Rippin da fAt
    Marna,

No, I don't maneuver mine like Kevin does his! I wish tho'. I do get out and work at it tho'. It has not been the same for me since the heart attack. it has affected my sense of balance and vision as well. Has been strange to be relearning what I already had accomplished with trials, let alone dirt riding.

As for bicyle riding and fitness, yep, a bike can make you feel like a 12 yo, but to regress to a 10 yo requires a fAt bike. lol

If you have a toys r us attitude, you'll stay well longer! Just ask OldBear cause he;'s a toys r us kid too.

Forgot, it does have a seat, youcan only use it when the bike isn't moving, rear tire is it!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Great reports for the Dr. his recommendation is keep doing what I'm doing. Weighed less than last years appointment, B/P was good, blood test - excellent, all numbers were good, hdl numbers were excellent also.
    Good to hear, keep doing what I'm doing.

Windy and cold here all day, had lunch with my wife at her work. Picked up her meds, went to her parents to trim some bushes in front of their house to get the side walk back for them to walk on.
    Finished that up , got home, stretched, changed and out for a ride. It was chilly but I dressed for it. Mid 50's with 20mph winds which were swirling so I never got a tail wind. LOL

Good day, decent ride. Feeling good.

Everyone enjoy their weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Today was my first ride on my fattie, a 2015 Gravity Bullseye Monster, I got it for my birthday. Years past I used to cycle more, but kids etc, etc... Flashback to early March, I go for my every 12 year physical... and low and behold, as much crap as I can shovel into my mouth, and as lazy as I have become, smoked for fifteen years (quit 5 ago, thanks e-cigs) I have the blood pressure of a teen, low cholesterol, and excellent lung function... Well Sh*t, there goes the likely early death thing (my wife pesters about that, although I am not sure she is for or against it). So with those results (from the doc), I figure if I am going to be here a while, better improve quality of life. Got back on my road bike (again Early/Mid March this year) Up to 35 miles without issue and about 10 miles avg per diam. Currently I have lost 15lbs in about a month with no change in diet or drink consumption... I like food, wine, and beer a lot... On the crappy weather days I would take out my old 1999 GT Avalanche, frankly a really great bike for most areas, not here though, these are the river bottoms.... Soft, soft, soft! Ergo the fattie, went 11 miles today at 50F, leisure to be sure, but fun, fun, fun... rolling sweat at 7 miles, like the roadie at 18 miles. But all smiles... riding on super soft stuff that the ol'GT on 2.1" tires (about as fat as you can go) was a major PITA. This sucker just roles right over, no drama, totally FUN, of course not as fast...

BTW I am 38, 5'10" and now at 210lbs (225 in March). And I am pretty damn good on a Dual-sport (a motorcycle, that is a bicycle with an engine with an off-road preference but still street-legal ) I am feeling better all the time too.

Rippin da fAt
    Great job, chief! Glad to hear you are on the right path.

Good man, a good brings blessings? And a ride to boot. Keep it up chief.

My good deed today was doing a brake job on my brother's F 250. Doh! I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Actually, I was glad to do it for him, because as I got into it, I discovered the calipers were shot. Piece of cake. Done in an hour. Now he owes me another loaf of banana bread! Yay! I'm starting to wonder if there's a sign on my back that reads " Wlll do anything for banana bread"! Lol.

Cat nap and a ride to follow...

Byron, good stuff, bet you can't stop grinning from riding the fat. Keep on it! And welcome to OldBear's thread!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You are 100% correct I can't stop grinning and it is because of the fat!

Rippin da fAt
    It's the fat recommended by more doctors than any other!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    speaking of good deeds, I put a trailer hitch on my co-workers Ford Focus and wired it for a 12 pack of Dale's Pale (about $15) compared to the $300 the shop was going to charge... It was not so much of a good deed thing really, I believe in karma, I only asked for the Dale's, would have done it for nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My kids want to call it (the fat bike) McFattie... If that gives you any inclinations as to how often we eat at McDonalds, or what we think of such establishments.

Rippin da fAt
    The salt with a slight food content will have health concerns later. Just gotta love kids! They come up with some of the best things to say.

On the good deeds yep...a good deed done is a blessing earned and a perk to boot!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
    My kids want to call it (the fat bike) McFattie... If that gives you any inclinations as to how often we eat at McDonalds, or what we think of such establishments.
    Could be interpreted either way actually.
    I'll give you the benefit if the doubt and assume you stay away from such places.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Could be interpreted either way actually.
    I'll give you the benefit if the doubt and assume you stay away from such places.
    Perhaps it is the opposite of what it sounds. Myself and the fam have not been McD's for at least 3.7 years, the kids think it's Sh*t. For me that is kind of a lie since I have had the breakfast sandwiches... Whatever, when I go riding on the DS (dualsport) I eat what I can (oh and I do so love breakfast sandwiches) Those breakfast sandwiches are not great, but awesome at the same time

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I know - the breakfast sandwiches are so good - it's so wrong.
    I don't eat there, but once in a blue moon I will eat one of those sausage things.
    Been some years now.

mtbr member
    Might want to look at the nutritional info for those breakfast sandwiches. Only thing I might get would be an egg mcmuffin with no meat.

Rippin da fAt
    While I'm the furthest thing from a vegan, cause my hunting skills are fairly good, after all I live in Colorado. McDee's is known for serving salt with a hint of food content, it is contraband, and has been since I was diagnosed with kidney disease years ago.
    This cat does not get purry from poor fuel choices.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Might want to look at the nutritional info for those breakfast sandwiches. Only thing I might get would be an egg mcmuffin with no meat.
    It's crap, no need to look at nutritional info - that's why I don't eat there.

Rippin da fAt
    Gambit we know you jones on mcdee's!
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Riding in the rain is fun! Got soakin wet. Like getting in a time machine being on a fat bike. Takes the fat bike ride to an all time "giggly kid" level. I can't believe a fat bike has such healing power.

Lets get this thread back to OldBear's theme here and have a good fat time!

Speaking of OldBear. You out riding your new bike today? How are you liking the Bluto? You have me thinking about looking into one for my bike now. Bad influence, you are! I sure hope it makes your adventures all the better.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Gambit we know you jones on mcdee's!
    Ha!
    Once every 5 years or so on a whim I pull off the highway and get a breakfast sandwich.
    Then I feel bad about it and wait another 5 years or so.

mtbr member
    They're oatmeal is good, I add some nuts and milk. It's my breakfast most mornings on the way to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
    Today was my first ride on my fattie, a 2015 Gravity Bullseye Monster, I got it for my birthday. Years past I used to cycle more, but kids etc, etc... Flashback to early March, I go for my every 12 year physical... and low and behold, as much crap as I can shovel into my mouth, and as lazy as I have become, smoked for fifteen years (quit 5 ago, thanks e-cigs) I have the blood pressure of a teen, low cholesterol, and excellent lung function... Well Sh*t, there goes the likely early death thing (my wife pesters about that, although I am not sure she is for or against it). So with those results (from the doc), I figure if I am going to be here a while, better improve quality of life. Got back on my road bike (again Early/Mid March this year) Up to 35 miles without issue and about 10 miles avg per diam. Currently I have lost 15lbs in about a month with no change in diet or drink consumption... I like food, wine, and beer a lot... On the crappy weather days I would take out my old 1999 GT Avalanche, frankly a really great bike for most areas, not here though, these are the river bottoms.... Soft, soft, soft! Ergo the fattie, went 11 miles today at 50F, leisure to be sure, but fun, fun, fun... rolling sweat at 7 miles, like the roadie at 18 miles. But all smiles... riding on super soft stuff that the ol'GT on 2.1" tires (about as fat as you can go) was a major PITA. This sucker just roles right over, no drama, totally FUN, of course not as fast...

BTW I am 38, 5'10" and now at 210lbs (225 in March). And I am pretty damn good on a Dual-sport (a motorcycle, that is a bicycle with an engine with an off-road preference but still street-legal ) I am feeling better all the time too.
    Byron_ welcome to our little Family of what I like to refer to as the fathead family.
    I am so glad you love your Fattie! I own a Gravity like your. What color did you get?
    Mine is Matte Black. Most of my bikes are black. except for my 1978 Miyata 710 which is a deep chocolate brown. LOL
    As you ride more on it you'll get the benefit of health and that feeling that you are once again 10-12 years old. My new ride is a Gravity Bullseye Monster Pro. That's the one with a Bluto up front. It is one sweet ride. I can't afford my dream bike which is a Trek farley 6. But I think my Pro is just as good.
    Dropping 15 pounds in a month is excellent! I just wish I could drop anothe rtwenty to get down to 210.

Today was a mild day with lots of clouds. I went out at 10am to ride the trails in the park and had a ball. My buddy Tom and i rode for three hours just fiddling around to see how high we could get up the Berms. I must say I got just a little skeered as we both got up enough speed to almost ride the top of a couple.
    Tom bought us some sweet sour chicken afterwards as a reward because my BP at the end was 134/99bu56t dropped rather quickly to 112/67. My heart rate got up to 105 but dropped to 61 within twenty minutes after the ride. O2 level stayed at 97 all day.
    My cancer surgery is still on for the 4th of may in the Morning. So please remember me. As far a Mama bear goes everything is up in the air. Her doctor couldn't find a clinic to do the surgery because of her weight. they are afraid to put her under. But at the same time they are recommending weight loss surgery. Go figure. I am going to call Washington University Hospital in St. Louis to see if they'd consider her. Please remember Sue!

annnyway I will close for now. Again welcome to our Little family Byron!

Until Later.................PEACE
    Oldbear and family.......Fred, Sue and sean

mtbr member
    Riding in the rain is fun! Got soakin wet. Like getting in a time machine being on a fat bike. Takes the fat bike ride to an all time "giggly kid" level. I can't believe a fat bike has such healing power.

Lets get this thread back to OldBear's theme here and have a good fat time!

Speaking of OldBear. You out riding your new bike today? How are you liking the Bluto? You have me thinking about looking into one for my bike now. Bad influence, you are! I sure hope it makes your adventures all the better.
    Hey Bansheerun.....You'd love a Pro. that Bluto really makes the ride much easier for me, since I suffer from Arthritis in both wrists and hands. I already write about my ride this morning. We were going to ride to Kroger's this afternoon but just as we were headed out the door, Bam! A cloud burst happened. Kinda reminded me of how it rains almost everyday up in Crested Butte.
    I asked my Doctor last Wednesday when I would be able to get back on my fatty after the surgery he said wait for a week. Bummer! He just wants to be sure that the skin graft takes and thongs are healing well. I already shaved my head and now look like an outlaw biker. LOL I have this heavy beard and no hair on my head.

Until Later...................PEACE
    Oldbear and family.............Fred, Sue and Sean.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Today I ride my Boris X5 for 3 hours on dirt road near Mtl (Ile de Boucherville) and
    after that I ride my Raleigh Revenio Carbon2 road bike for another 3 1/2 hours.

It was strange and difficult to adapt to the road bike for the first 15 km and after I went
    very fast with the wind in the back.

Total km of the day

fatbike= 40 km in 3 hours
    road bike= 101 km in 3 1/2 hours

Both bike where fun to ride.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear, I'll check around for a denim jacket for ya! Can't believe you're going hells angel on us. Lol. Get that surgery outta the way, heal up let's pray for a cancer free outcome. For now, go out and overdose on riding before.
    Glad the bike is working out for ya. I know the arthritis thing, I have tendinitis in both wrists and when it flares up it is painful.

Remember, it's a week away from riding! That will go by quickly. Hang in there, you can do it mang!

I hope you can get things sorted for Sue in short order. The waiting for answers has to be difficult. The Mrs. OldBear fan club is pulling for her.

Thoughts and prayers!

Gambit, I just couldn't resist pulling your chain! Good fun..
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt
    Gettin' outta the Jeep and into a Porsche always takes getting used to. Sounds like a bike day, indeed! Good job on making the odometer click up some distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rejtheedge View Post
    Today I ride my Boris X5 for 3 hours on dirt road near Mtl (Ile de Boucherville) and
    after that I ride my Raleigh Revenio Carbon2 road bike for another 3 1/2 hours.

It was strange and difficult to adapt to the road bike for the first 15 km and after I went
    very fast with the wind in the back.

Total km of the day

fatbike= 40 km in 3 hours
    road bike= 101 km in 3 1/2 hours

Both bike where fun to ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hey Bansheerun.....You'd love a Pro. that Bluto really makes the ride much easier for me,
    I'm looking at the Expert. Please explain the difference between the 2 for $1500. The Crosstrail I ride has a the movable front end. I'll look to add the Bluto down the road if I don't like the front end of the Expert.

What do you think.

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

Who makes the Expert? The Gravity Monster Pro has the Bluto suspension fork on it which sells retail 711 smackers for the fork alone, so @ 1k the bike looks to be a very good buy. Sram X5 is a good product as well. 2x10 drivetrain should serve you well.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Chief:
    I echo bansheerun's assesment.I own a Pro and it is really worth the Money. I ride mine four days a week and my Fatty single speed, Another Gravity bike, a Deadeye monster and just love both. look at the Bikesdirect.com website they have some real quality at really really good prices.
    Just my two cents.

say g'nite Mojo.

Until later >>>>>>>>>>>>>PEACE

Oldbear..........(AKA Fred) {Mama bear and the 29 year old cub are asleep}

mtbr member
    Evening All!

Today was my "rest day" LOL Turned out that I still got in a ride. went out to Country mart to buy some meat and cat food. Took the Monster with the trailer attached. While I was shopping two Mexican teens were lurking near the bike rack and from what a clerk told me they tried to remove the lock by flexing my plastic covered chain that i used to lock both the Monster and trailer to the rack. When I came out They were trying to remove my seat and had loosened my rear wheel. The store security had already called the police and an under cover car with two detectives showed up and asked them what they were doing. One of them said he lost the key to the lock and was just trying to take off the seat and post and the rear wheel to keep anyone from stealing his bike. I piped up and said that it was actually mine and that i'd like to press charges. Long story short the two are spending some time in the Phelps county jail on a charge of felony theft. They were both 18. By the way the kid who tried to claim the bike and trailer was 5' 6" I am 6' 1" and ride A 17.5 frame to fit me. I f he sat on the seat of my monster he couldn't touch the Pedals. LOL
    I then had to ride over to the Police Department and fill out all kinds of forms and report sheets. Come to find out the young men were Illegal Aliens to boot.
    At least they won't be stealing any bikes for awhile. Annnd thank God for my old motor cycle chain and lock. It's almost 46 years old.
    In case you're wondering I still have my original jean jacket vest from a no colors club I used to ride with. I was not really nice in the mid 70's. Shoulder length hair and a robertson style beard. LOL Funny thing is I am a lot nicer now, due to my old age and cycling but I still have a nice beard but i shave d off my hair for the operaition.\

Well enough for tonight......Every one who can get out and ride some where tomorrow. don't suffer from Fattus Interuptus.

Until tOMORROW........................PEACE
    Oldbear and Cub...........Fred and Sean......Mama's asleep.

Rippin da fAt
    OldBear,

Sorry to hear of the jerks trying to lift your bike! Glad security was on their toes and they caught the bastards. I wish it were always a good outcome when this happens. Must have made for a long trip to the store. Just glad you are ok and didn't lose your bike.

Best wishes to the bear family too!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Good for you for pressing charges. Hope all is well with everyone that contributes to this thread.

I got to ride in the Bull mountain area of North Georgia on Sunday. Great gravel roads and trail system. According to my computer, I claimed around 5800 feet.

Have a good week.

mtbr member
    oldbear, i just read through the other post about the Gravity Monster that dirtdawg started and you posted on. Very good read. I was in my lbs yesterday with my daughter, she picked up a bike for a ride we're doing together on the 17th in Philly. The Phillies are having a charity thru the city. It's 25 miles and I have a few friends riding it too. She would have been on my Gravity 29'er single speed would have issues keeping up. She purchased a Specialized Vita and her and my wife will share it. The bad news is I got to play with the Fat Boy that I'm eyeing. The owner told me not to ride it until I'm ready to buy it. LOL
    He said once your on it your gonna want it so wait until your ready. LOL good advice.
    I am looking at the Gravity and comparing it against the Fat Boy. We'll see what happens.
    Looking forward to getting out today. Had a busy weekend and didn't get much riding in.
    Also an early good thoughts for you on your May 4 surgery.

mtbr member
    Chief:
    Once you throw a leg over that toptube and ride about fifteen feet you'll be hooked!
    So far a really good day. I was supposed to go to the hospital to meetwith the gas-passer but they called me instead. so i don't have to leave the house and waste time over there. So instead of that this afternoon I am going to ride out north and explore a bit of gravel roads.
    I am ;looking for a rack to mount on the back of the pro. Anybody have any suggestions? I would like to be able to put paniers on th erear for extended rides when i move west.

Until Later (I promise).....................PEACE
    Oldbear and Family............Fred Sue and Sean

Rippin da fAt
    Chief,

That prolly was good advice cause it might have been love at first pedal stroke.

The event on the 17th sounds like a great family outing.

Gas-passer...O.o Oldbear, have a look at FAT-BIKE.COM
    There is a huge list of links for accessories and stuff. Just scroll down the page.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    LOL, yeah that's what Mike (LBS Owner) said. He said I put people on them outside and they get near the corner and the smiles they have are contagious. They are sold in a few pedal strokes.

Rippin da fAt
    Surgeon General's Warning:
    Fat Bikes can cause uncontrolled grins, laughter and happiness.
    These conditions can be highly contagious. Not recommended
    for inducing sadness or frowns.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I can tell you from owning a Fatboy SL. Don't ride the thing until you are ready to buy it. It is ridiculous fun.

mtbr member
    oldbear you've still got some bad ass in you!!
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

Rippin da fAt
    Had a ride today in sunshine, yay! It was warm and fun to get a few miles of fat time. Thankful for the time I had cause in the afternoon a storm cell made its way through.

Robert, the Fatboy is a very nice bike, indeed! Glad to hear it brings good times your way. Now Chief's gonna be in trouble!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hello all,

Just picked up my first mountain bike in a long time (was an on and off roadie for about 20 years). Got a great deal on a 2014 Mukluk 2. I had a nice Orbea Euskaltel road bike but it just sat collecting dust, as I had this (not quite) irrational fear of being hit by a car driven by a texting half-drunk teen and left for dead. 2 friends of mine have actually been hit on their road bikes. So the wife and I decided that I could do the one-out one-in rule, as long as I went mountain (if you get hit in the woods, it's definitely operator error). So out the door to a good home went the Orbea, and in came the fat. I am 45, 5' 8", and on April 1st (first real ride) clocked in at a not-so healthy 185 lbs. Cholesterol about 200. Legs weak as a kitten. Cardio machine about on par with an octagenarian. As others here know, riding a fatbike just about anywhere plasters this stupid silly middle-school grin on your face the entire ride. It reminds me why I like riding bikes in the first place. A friend of mine commented on the weight of the bike (about 31.5 lbs.). My response was that I'd worry about that after I drop about 35 lbs off of my fat a$$. Fast forward to today and I just broke through the 180 lb. mark. Ride about 3-4 times a week for about an hour. They are, without reservation, the best hours of my week. We have several parks here in York PA that have some gnarly ninja-goat rock-fest trails, so the riding can be as technical and difficult as you want to make it. I have not mastered them yet, but am having a blast being on the bike and rediscovering my long-dormant bike-handling skills (can't really call them "skills" at this point as much as "fall avoidance" and "not looking like a dork"). Anyway, plan to keep riding and see what happens. Any ride is s good ride, provided it's mostly rubber side down. Cheers!

Rippin da fAt
    Here is a rider having the time of his life with the fAt. Wish I were in condition to do this.
    good times are to be had with fAt tires whether you ride like this video or just trail ride.

Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Good Aftwrnoon my little fatty family!

A beautiful day here in downtown Rolla. The temp at 1:50 is a nice 67.8f I Went for a ride this morning wihtnTo0m and a couple other people that just went fat. We played around at the Lion's club and then had a lunch provided by Tom's wife. I am going to head back out there at three to ride more seriously for some mileage and concentrate on my bike handling. I wan tto get in about 30 miles in the dirt if it doesn't rain.

Chief, once you get on that bike you'll buy it!

I rode a first generation Farley today and I really liked it. Our LBS it for sale at 1750. I would like to buy it but finances and that stinkin' surgery have put a clamp on my wallet. I am only going to be able to get new gloves this month and maybe an issue of MBA and BIKE.

Seanie wants to for a ride in the dirt with me. I am going to get Tom to haul the single speed to lions club. I will take it extremely slow because I want him to get used to single track and make sure his bike handling improves.

In the next five days I am going to get as much saddle time as possible. I am worrying a lot about the surgery and as a result I am eating way too much and i have gained about 10 pounds back.So I am going to ride a bunch and try to knock the weight off and spend less time at my desk. I have fallen in love with sub sandwhiches that i put together my self.Lot's of Sun dried tomato turkey breast and lots of swiss cheese and all the fixins' plus alot of Cheddar and sour cream potato chips. another weakness is fudge ripple ice cream.I fell of the wagon a bit and i am now trying to get back on.

Until later.....................PEACE
    Oldbear and family.............Fred Sue and Seanie boy.

Rippin da fAt
    OLDBEAR!!!! Behave yourself.. I know the surgery is really hard to take. You best count your blessings that it is operable. A close friend of mine was diagnosed too late and that really sucked. DO everything you can to distract yourself from it. When I was diagnosed with kidney disease, I thought it is what it is and had and still have an I'm gonna live life attitude. On another visit Doc asked if understood the severity of my diagnosis. I said, yes I do, and I refuse to become bitter or upset by it because the stress will be more damaging than the disease. With that said, I hope you can do some things that will take your mind off the surgery and get you doing some fun things.

Back on the wagon, Mister!!!

A few trips on the dirt and Sean will get in the groove. A little coaching from Tom and you will go far as well. Go, Sean, Go!

Hope the weather holds for you and you break the goal.
    This afternoon I will get in a ride with my friend Marcus. Have to go out on a service call before. The weather has been less than cooperative as of late. We will be good til Saturday.

Be good OldBear...
    Doctor recommended...

bigger than you.
    I posted this on Facebook, but I thought it was apropos to share here:
    Today marks 3 years to the day from the event that sparked massive transformation in my life. I began feeling light-headed and experienced a bit of pain and pressure in my chest. On my way home, I stopped at the drugstore and took my BP, which read 195/134. I then went to the hospital, and because I didn't have health insurance, waited for 4 hours in the parking lot, to make sure I wasn't going to die...
    Long story short, I didn't die, but that day became a catalyst for making profound changes in my life. I fired a troublesome client and began the process of removing a number of toxic relationships from my life. I got rid of my Jeep and got a bicycle, instead. Ultimately, I got rid of nearly everything I owned, my motorcycle, trailer and nearly all my track kit, my tools, kitchen gear and all but 3 suitcases of clothing, my laptop, camera and phone. I left cozy Wayne, PA in a furtive attempt to move back to the midwest, but ultimately came back to Philly and settled in Fishtown.
    I got really into cycling, mountain biking in particular and that's become a transformative endeavor for me. Within 6 weeks of getting a bike, my BP had returned to normal. I rode about 1200 miles the first year, approximately 1600 in 2013 and last year I logged just over 2500 miles in the saddle. After 7 months on a 29er, I bought my first fatbike, a Surly Pugsley. I rode that for about 9 months before getting my current bike, a 9:Zero:7

Rippin da fAt
    Gigantic,

It's good the heart & BP are doing well now. I was told by one of the ER nurses the morning I went in with my heart attack "most men die of embarrassment" cause most peeps think it is something otherwise. 3 months after I escaped the hospital, I traded some audio gear for a fatty for my birthday. I can't get enough of it either! The fatty makes me sillier than anything. And like you I have a 9:Zero:7. It was a year ago April 10th. I am doing well, but it has slowed me down considerably.

Appreciate you sharing your experience with us. Welcome to the OldBear channel!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Gig we will have to hook up at some point. I'm just up 95 a bit and I'll be riding in the city on the 17th at Citizens Bank Park for a Phillies charity ride.

Had a good 15+ miles this evening. It was a lil breezy but man did it feel good.

Warmer tomorrow and I'm eyeing a lil more time in the saddle tomorrow evening. Maybe cut out of work early and get some extra time in.
    Weather coming in Thursday and Friday and I wanna get to the beach and fish a lil. Blues have pushed in.

mtbr member
    OLDBEAR!!!! Behave yourself.. I know the surgery is really hard to take. You best count your blessings that it is operable. A close friend of mine was diagnosed too late and that really sucked. DO everything you can to distract yourself from it. When I was diagnosed with kidney disease, I thought it is what it is and had and still have an I'm gonna live life attitude. On another visit Doc asked if understood the severity of my diagnosis. I said, yes I do, and I refuse to become bitter or upset by it because the stress will be more damaging than the disease. With that said, I hope you can do some things that will take your mind off the surgery and get you doing some fun things.

Back on the wagon, Mister!!!

A few trips on the dirt and Sean will get in the groove. A little coaching from Tom and you will go far as well. Go, Sean, Go!

Hope the weather holds for you and you break the goal.
    This afternoon I will get in a ride with my friend Marcus. Have to go out on a service call before. The weather has been less than cooperative as of late. We will be good til Saturday.

Be good OldBear...
    Bansheerun:

I will try to get my mind off of it. Thanks for the encouragement. I really need to concentrate on losing the weight. I need a few things done ot my bike andit's just minor repair like new brake pads and check the wheels for true.At 1500miles it isn't showing it. The monster is now the errand bike.

Got out this afternoon at three and rode until 6. I rode a bunch of laps at the Lion's Club Trails. Probably seven or eight laps and really worked up a sweat. since a lap,is something loike 54 miles I really was pooped when i finally got home.
    When I left the house i checked my BP and it was 114/76. When I got Home it was 128/87 anddropped back down real quick when iwas resting. 118/67 Heart rate went from 61 at home to 87 mid ride back down to 59.

Gil: before I forget, Welcome to our thread. even though I am the OP it's really for anyone to post about their fatty bike adventures and how it has helped them to get better. Welcome to the Family! (and I don't mean Charles Manson's cult of the60's)

Until tomorrow.................................PEACE
    Oldbear and Mama bear..... Fred and Sue

mtbr member
    Hey I made abig boo boo A lap is 4 miles.

mtbr member
    Nice. 28 to 32 mile trail ride. It is impossible not to worry about surgery. Relax as much as you can and accept being concerned with being normal, whatever normal is. I have been able to ride fatty three days in a row.

mtbr member
    Nice. 28 to 32 mile trail ride. It is impossible not to worry about surgery. Relax as much as you can and accept being concerned with being normal, whatever normal is. I have been able to ride fatty three days in a row.
    We had a saying in my senior year of High School back in the dark ages, "Dare To Be Different When Different Is Right" . Or there's the old Alfred E. Newman quote, "Why Be Normal". When I was discharged form th enavy I decided to go up to th efamily farm and just be a hermit, welll almost one. I had five dogs and Lived twenty one mioles from the nearest major town of Hayward W to support myself I Wisconsin. To support myselfi cut pulp wood in old forest fire burns and I just wanted to occasionally gomto town andget some Beer and cinnamon rolls. So I guess 'normal' wouldn't describe me even to this day.
    As late as 1995 I still wanted tolive somesort of alternative life style an d my wife was ofthe same mindset. We got away from using Vehicles and just lived off our bikes, except for a 1955 international school bus/rv we lived in for about two years whren our kids were under 14.
    So now I use my bike for everything. Only using carts when I have to do aheavy shopping trip that won't fit in the trailer.
    My one sayong that sticks with me is:
    I didn't live through the 60's, I surtvived them"

These are my random thoughts at 7am. I promise not to ramble so much later on

PEACE
    Oldbear........ AKA FRED

bigger than you.
    Gig we will have to hook up at some point. I'm just up 95 a bit and I'll be riding in the city on the 17th at Citizens Bank Park for a Phillies charity ride.

Had a good 15+ miles this evening. It was a lil breezy but man did it feel good.

Warmer tomorrow and I'm eyeing a lil more time in the saddle tomorrow evening. Maybe cut out of work early and get some extra time in.
    Weather coming in Thursday and Friday and I wanna get to the beach and fish a lil. Blues have pushed in.
    I usually ride Belmont on thursdays at 6:30 if you wanna join for a little friendly racing with beer and grilled food afterwards. I brought my bike with me to work today, too and I'm planning on cutting out at 3:30 to get a few miles in, but I haven't decided where. I'm usually game for a ride, feel free to send me a PM!

mtbr member

My new avatar.

Well, How do you guys like my avatar? the Photo is not current. It was taken about four years ago at a p-lace called Meramac Springs Park. It is a place with a huge spring and they stock the stream below with trout.
    That Picture is at the height of my fatness. I weighed around 330lbs.
    I will post a new picture sometime soon.
    I went for a ride this morning, and put in some more miles at the Park. About six laps and runs through some side trails that def, challenged my bike handling. One was above my skill level so I got off and walked it. LOL,
    When I got home our visiting nurse was here, We checked my blood pressure and after ten minute it dropped down to 118/73.
    Sean, Tom and I are going to take the single speeds over later this afternoon and let Sean ride a bit in the dirt.
    His sister is trying to take his bike. Ha ha ha. He locked it up to Mama's electric wheel chair ands won't tell her where he hid his key.
    She wrecked her bike while inebrieated and the frame got crunched by a Pick-up truck. So she's wants his bike "temporarily".

Well I gotta run, no wait ride. Tom's here.

Until later..............PEACE
    Oldbear and family and friends...........Fred Sue Seanie and Tom

Rippin da fAt
    Chief, now you have someone to help you turn up the heat! That will be great to get more peeps together for a ride.

OldBear, it's best to hike a bike when you are not confident in a section of trail. Better safe than sorry. I hope your daughter was not injured in her accident. Scary, indeed.
    Sounds like a good outing for you guys, on SS's no less. Good stuff!

I just got done with 25 miles of fat riding. This time I was giving it more gas than I had been. I'm not feeling too worn out from the ride either, which is a relief. It is a beautiful sunny day for a ride as well. I think PlutonicPlague has the right idea with carrying a first aid kit, cause I sprung a leak from a pedal pin brushing against my leg at a stop. It made a small mess, but no worries. Being on blood thinners makes it take longer to stop bleeding, doh! Good ride anyway.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hey Bansheerune, what kind of blood thinner do you use? I hope it isn't Warfarin. My mom was on that for awhile. I took all her INR levels. She was glad to get off that stuff. Got in a Single speed ride this afternoon in Percy Warner Park, rode multiple 4 mile loops and added a little off shoot at the end. Could still feel the ride in North GA this weekend in my legs. 8200 feet of climbing over 67 miles will do that to a person.

OldBear, how about Mama Bear's appointment as well. And post a recent pick because you are about 100 pounds thinner now. I may change my avatar. All of you stay as healthy as you can and keep the rubber side down. I can ride a lot of stuff that is techy that I never thought I could ride but I still know when to dismount. When in doubt, chicken out. Even if it is something I have cleaned a thousand times, sometimes I just don't feel the mojo so I walk it. I think you feel different in the woods every time you ride. No way to be 100% on all the time. I have seen some damn good riders hit the deck, just playing around. It happens.

That avatar pic was taken about 5 years ago. That deer was too tame and some dogs finally got him. Miss seeing him when I ride the gravel roads at the WMA.

Rippin da fAt
    Robert, thankfully I am not on warfarin. That one is a nuisance because it requires close monitoring. I am on plavix and 81 mg aspirin. This post heart attack stuff is a pain. The least they could do is put me on some pills that are fun to eat. I should go to the dispensary!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Robert, thankfully I am not on warfarin. That one is a nuisance because it requires close monitoring. I am on plavix and 81 mg aspirin. This post heart attack stuff is a pain. The least they could do is put me on some pills that are fun to eat. I should go to the dispensary!
    Banshee: I know all too well about the meds they put us on after a cardiac episode. The damage to my Left Ventricular Bundle has reduced my effective usage to 45%. I have a Pacemaker/defib that was putmin in 2009 and they replaced the battery in August. I take for my heart Lisinopril, coreg, plavix, lasix, and Avostatin. theres some more I also take for my depression and my acid reflux, (that's almost non-existant.) So we are brothers of the broken heart club. LOL
    They also added nueorotin for my diabetic Neuropatyhy. And as of today they have added Vicodin for my hip. I am only going to take that if the pain gets too bad.

Sean handled the dirt fairly well. He kept up on my rear wheel and even used his breaks correctly. You see he's Autistic and had some minor minor motor skill delays but he's over coming them. He want to get a plastic 'Barney" for his bars. He saw an old MBA with a group of personal MoJo's attached to various pro's bikes. he loves Barney and wants me to get him a figure ion friday. I know i tend to write long posts but I want to add that Sean has come so0oooo far from his toddler days. When he was diagnosed at the age of two the doctor said he's probably never speak. well at the age of 5 he discovered Barney on the PBS station. One afternoon when I was doing homework I heard someone singing. When i walked out into theLiving room Sean was singing the "I Love You" song with Barney. at his age now 29 his mentality is like a seven year old andhe has some amazing skills that just developed naturally.

Well enough for this Evening
    Until tomorrow-----------PEACE
    Oldbear and clan==============Fred, Sue and Seanie.

Rippin da fAt
    Good Lord, OldBear! They must believe you are a bike bound pharmacy. I am on metropolol, lisinopril, plavix and atorvastatin. Then my cat is on insulin. We're a mess over here! I don't recall what the function % is, but it is noticeable that it's lower than the factory specification. Crap! Maybe all I need is new spark plugs, lol. It has been a game changer for sure. I just go with the flow of things these days.

Glad Sean is doing well. Not only that, but he's a great big piece of your family. It's great that he's doing well with riding and dirt was not a problem for him. He is so fortunate to have you and Sue in his life and doing so much together as a family. You guys get out and do some fantastic adventures together. The dirt rides will likely come naturally to him after a few rides with a little coaching.

Say hey to the Bears! From the fan club.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Good Lord, OldBear! They must believe you are a bike bound pharmacy. I am on metropolol, lisinopril, plavix and atorvastatin. Then my cat is on insulin. We're a mess over here! I don't recall what the function % is, but it is noticeable that it's lower than the factory specification. Crap! Maybe all I need is new spark plugs, lol. It has been a game changer for sure. I just go with the flow of things these days.

Glad Sean is doing well. Not only that, but he's a great big piece of your family. It's great that he's doing well with riding and dirt was not a problem for him. He is so fortunate to have you and Sue in his life and doing so much together as a family. You guys get out and do some fantastic adventures together. The dirt rides will likely come naturally to him after a few rides with a little coaching.

Say hey to the Bears! From the fan club.
    Bansheerun:
    Mama bear is on metropolol and chlorthalid for her hypertension. and (I share three out of four with you Lisinopril, Plavix and atorstatin. lol. Right now they have added Vicodin for my hip. So I am a walking riding pharmacy just like you said.

I will be going to visit the LDS church in town Sunday. I met the two Elders and they invited me. So I will be putting on some nicer work out clothes and going. They said they want me to meet te bishop and the Elder's quorum President and maybe get a Priesthood blessing before i go into surgery. Truth be told i haven't been in an LDS chapel since 1994. You could sat I am a 'Jack Mormon".

I am going pout for a ride and also attend a demonstration against the aggression in Syria.

Until Later...................PEACE
    Oldbear and family...........Fred Sue and Sean

Rippin da fAt
    Lol, OldBear!

I have Vicodin for pain related to kidney disease. I rarely use it. I will be glad to be off of all these pills.

Receive the blessing from the mission Mormonaries. It can't hurt. Meeting the bishop and elders quorum will be good stuff. They really don't care about your attire, they are very welcoming.

Yesterday's ride was good stuff. Today I have a service call in aspen so I'll take my bike and ride afterward. I hope to find a trail I haven't ridden in a long time. It's a warm sunny day so looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Lol, OldBear!

I have Vicodin for pain related to kidney disease. I rarely use it. I will be glad to be off of all these pills.

Receive the blessing from the mission Mormonaries. It can't hurt. Meeting the bishop and elders quorum will be good stuff. They really don't care about your attire, they are very welcoming.

Yesterday's ride was good stuff. Today I have a service call in aspen so I'll take my bike and ride afterward. I hope to find a trail I haven't ridden in a long time. It's a warm sunny day so looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone.
    Banshee

The Missionary's stopped by and dropped off a large print version of the BoM,D&C, and the Pearl of Great Price. Since they were going the same way I was headed I rode with them for a mile or two then headed off to the Park. I was surprised that two young men that spend alot of time on their bikes couldn't keep up with me. LOL

I rode 4 laps and did some intervals on the pavement and it was a goos workout.
    Mosque to attend the Friday prayer service and i am riding my bike over there.
    Then I am taking my trailer and bike out to The east side of town to grocery shop.
    family dollar is having a great sale and i want to stock up. Plus the Country Mart has a deal on meat Five nice size packages for $25,

Unrtil later*****************PEACE
    Oldbear and Family^^^^^^^^^^Fred Sue and a sleeping Sean

mtbr member
    Yeah some blessing never hurt any of us.

Didn't feel like riding when I got home from work, sunny all day and it started getting cloudy and breezy this evening. Got home and my wife was heading to her parents, I got changed and got out. It was a GREAT ride, all on the street but I just rode where ever I wanted to go. Had a smile most for the ride. SO glad I went. Need more like that.

Have a great evening everyone.

mtbr member
    Hi Y'all!

the temperature here in Beautiful downtown Roola at 7pm is 67...0f and clear as glass.

Sean and I took our our bikes for a hour tonight along the bike path. We had A ball on the long downhil leading away from the Apartment. Sean used to get scared and we'd wind up walking down it. He now yells wheeeeee and faster Dad faster. According to his cyclocomputer. we topped out at 40 mph. At a busy corner we ran into a family that had a Kid like Sean except much younger. He was riding in a huge custom built trailer from Burley. He is 7 years old and riding at home on a singlespeed MTB that has training wheels on it. He does pretty well. His parents were encouraged by the Cub. They might take off the training wheels.

One thing Sean has finally mastered is the brakes! He can now stop without putting his feet down to stop. .

Until [email protected]@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@-PEACE
    Oldbear abd Cub,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fred and Sean

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast