Fat Bikes - we've reached critical mass- Mtbr.com
    Loser

Fat Bikes - we've reached critical mass

We got about 8" of snow on Friday, by Sunday there was 15 miles+ of tracked in snow. I think we're finally at the point where there are enough fat bikes to track in trails and get to a pretty good state within 24 hours of snow. We're getting a bit more this week and a cold weekend coming up, should be good at least for a few weeks! Last year I felt like me and my three friends were the only ones tracking in trails. I know so many people with fat bikes, but many of them don't ride until after "someone else" tracks in the trails, apparently.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Yeah, I see this trending as-well by me!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Next thing that happens is you can't get first tracks no matter how hard you try. Then the good trails start to get deep 4.5" wide grooves down the center which redefines the term singletrack. Of course in Anchorage this year our last snow seems like it was in October so neither of those things are happening. Thank god for studs.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I tell ya..Nothing is ever good enough for fat bikers

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Same phenomenon here... Our local track was well bedded-in already "mid-storm" yesterday. Four winters ago I'd be riding the same 4" groove I'd broke 2 days earlier. It's great to have the "critical mass" breaking it in these days.

Professional Crastinator
    I keep trying to tell all these new fatbike riders to avoid riding in perfect single file. It will pay off later in the form of a wider track.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I keep trying to tell all these new fatbike riders to avoid riding in perfect single file. It will pay off later in the form of a wider track.

-F
    I was purposely riding off line yesterday

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Man opinions differ on this... some of my nearby (and pretty great) trails are mix use w/ skiers and snow-shoers also so they benefit from use by all and are also widened by this. But the absolute hands-down best riding for me is early (not necessarily first) thin tracks when the track is still pretty narrow. It can be a true skills clinic and challenging riding - a total blast - that changes a lot after getting well packed and widened - fun but totally different.

I guess it's a bit like dirt singletrack. Someone's "wide fast smooth flow" with minimal rock/root features is someone else's crappy double-wide baby stroller path, and vice versa.

Fortunately, snow has a tendency to change things up on you from day to day!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck D View Post
    Man opinions differ on this... some of my nearby (and pretty great) trails are mix use w/ skiers and snow-shoers also so they benefit from use by all and are also widened by this. But the absolute hands-down best riding for me is early (not necessarily first) thin tracks when the track is still pretty narrow. It can be a true skills clinic and challenging riding - a total blast - that changes a lot after getting well packed and widened - fun but totally different.

I guess it's a bit like dirt singletrack. Someone's "wide fast smooth flow" with minimal rock/root features is someone else's crappy double-wide baby stroller path, and vice versa.

Fortunately, snow has a tendency to change things up on you from day to day!
    I guess where I was coming from is a 12" TO 16" packed trail snaking through the deep snow in the woods is pretty much heaven for me. That same trail with a 5" wide by 3" deep groove down the middle, not so much.
    Latitude 61

Loser
    I was away on business so I am just now getting back. We did 16.6 miles in the snow yesterday, most of it was on a 12-16" track. Sticking to that narrow track was not easy, but it was so fun. We rode some track that was used as "multi-use" trail and that was definitely wider than the fat bike only packed in trails.