Fat bikes as the only bikes??- Mtbr.com
    banned

Fat bikes as the only bikes??

Yeah I know I'm stoking the fire, and I know that no one bike is good for everything, but I have to ask. If the value of a bike is measured by the fun it generates, then my fatty is my "best" and temporarily my only running bike. I started out the year doing some serious inventory reduction, having sold both my 160mm 26" FS bikes, and then my 29er hardtail "race" bike. That left me with just another 29er hardtail, and a 80mm carbon-rim Mukluk that I rode anywhere.

Recently I got injured. I've decided in the downtime to part out and liquidate my 29er hardtail. Neat as it is, I miss having shorter travel FS and don't see the wagon wheel size the appropriate starting point for a FS rig in my smaller size. So, I anticipate having a FS 650b bike and a fatty to complement it in the future.

The above said... another part of me wants to explore the fat tire concept a little further. Instead of putting all that $$ into a "conventional" mtb, why not build another fatty (or modify my Muk) - this time geared toward the trails I ride most of the time, with 65mm wide carbon rims, front suspension, 1x drivetrain and 25 - 30 lbs weight?? And if I can do this with old skool aluminum frame construction, then I think I'd be in a little corner of bike heaven, for while, at least, lol.

Thoughts?

mtbr member

Yeah fatty only!

banned
    Sep 2008
    agree on the 65mm rim thingy. i just got some 65's to replace my 80's. will run the 65's year round. we get 3-4 months of snow and the rest is perfect rocky/rooty singletrack.

one bike for all! FAT!

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I only have one bike. A Pugsley.

Classic weekend warrior
    My 29er collects dust. I ride for fun and exercise and the fatty wins in both categories. According to my bike computer my average speed is the same as it was on my 29er, so i know i'm not slower. At the same time I really don't pay attention, I don't use strava and don't care about KOM's....

Build up a good fatty!

25-30lb is an easy target nowadays. My O'beast build with bud/bud setup is 28.2 lbs (ride weight). Always funny at the trail when someone checks out my "huge" bike and then realizes it weighs less than theirs

My advice- build the bike YOU want and that you'll enjoy riding, not what people tell you you "should" be riding. Bikes are toys, have fun
    -Carver Ti O'Beast
    -Niner RLT 9
    -'16 Trek Farley 7 (hers)

Live Free & Ride
    Quiver killer fat bike...yes! Just sold my beloved 26er fully that I had custom built and loved riding for years. I now live on a pond and have sandy, swampy terrain right out my front door. Figure the fat bike is the weapon for all. Will eventually have two wheel sets...one for winter and one for everything else. One bike...Yes!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

Rocking on a Rocky
    You could run 29s on your fat bike.

1x11 Bluto and 29+ wheels

:thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rented a pug last weekend to finally get some time on dirt on a fatty to answer this exact question.

I ride an aging 140/130 mm FS 26er right now, and I wanted to know if a fatty could replace it.

Answer 1: Yes, a fatbike will suffice for how I ride. I will look to something 190 and at least as light as my current bike (31.5 lbs)

Answer 2: A bluto is not necessary. While whatever I do will be compatible, I would like to wait for something a bit nicer. (riding a TALAS RLC right now) rigid rode just fine.

I am not in the best shape, but I managed to chase a few fit friends for 27+ miles on Saturday. I am no longer curious, but sold on the one quiver fat off road machine.

aka bOb
    Nope no way gotta have my other steeds to mix it up. I suppose it's possible just not for this hombre!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Depends how serious you are in the summer, I would fall way behind in both the climbs and the downhill when riding with the group if I was on a fat 30lb hardtail. It would have to be a pretty nimble fatty to keep me happy in the summer too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Awe goddammit, I was going to post this like around Friday or so for maximum effect...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Iíve always gone with.. buy what you need

Though this method is quickly starting to combat with space in the home...

At this rate - Iíll be one cool ol-timer with lots of neat (& nice) stuff!

All fat, all the time.
    I have another bike, but I only ride the fatty!

mtbr member
    No way. I have a different bike for every type of riding I do. Fat, Mountain, Single Speed, Hybrid, Road, Triathlon and Tandem Road!
    This is why I like my Fat Bike really Fat!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The threads your are creating confuse me given your length of membership and post count. I was expecting a 2014 member with less than 30 posts.

I am dissapoint.

mtbr member
    Just one bike here, a Pugs Ops. I sold my Trek Fuel EX9 FS, my Specialized Hard Rock and am in process of selling my Trek District belt drive SS. If anything, I'm considering adding a second fatbike for off-road and dedicating my existing pugs to road duty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    One bike? Life is way to short to only have one bicycle. Wha't wrong with you people?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    One bike? Life is way to short to only have one bicycle. Wha't wrong with you people?
    ditto

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Sold my Trek Hifi after buying a Phattie

IFat bikes as the only bikes??-samll_photo-19-.jpg owned a Trek Hifi and rode it strictly for three years. Then bought a Fat bike and the trek sat in the garage and I finally sold it. I live in Phoenix Az, no snow but lots of dirt.
    It is the only Mnt Bike I own now.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    blablablabla............

The above said... another part of me wants to explore the fat tire concept a little further. Instead of putting all that $$ into a "conventional" mtb, why not build another fatty (or modify my Muk) - this time geared toward the trails I ride most of the time, with 65mm wide carbon rims, front suspension, 1x drivetrain and 25 - 30 lbs weight?? And if I can do this with old skool aluminum frame construction, then I think I'd be in a little corner of bike heaven, for while, at least, lol.

Thoughts?
    Fatbike as a concept? Well some call it a fad. Sounds like you just need to pull the triger on some carbon wheels and xx1 groupset.
    For all other bikes just rent a CitiBike.
    Fat bikes as the only bikes??-citi-bike-launch.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Still have a cube TT bike. .. collecting dust. ..
    Only ride my Genesis Caribou nowadays. ..
    Puts a Smile on my face ever time. !

mtbr member
    Yeah I know I'm stoking the fire, and I know that no one bike is good for everything, but I have to ask. If the value of a bike is measured by the fun it generates, then my fatty is my "best" and temporarily my only running bike.
    Yup, its the most fun... so why not?
    Its not as if regular mtb's will disappear soon, right? So if the day comes that you get tired of your fatty... then that's the time to buy a regular mtb.

but, imo, I think that that day is very far off... fat bikes are now trending all over the world, they are here to stay. I dont think people will get tired of them in the near future.

cheers!

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Fatbike as a concept? Well some call it a fad. Sounds like you just need to pull the triger on some carbon wheels and xx1 groupset.
    For all other bikes just rent a CitiBike.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	citi-bike-launch.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	922486
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VMnjF1O4eH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whole lotta cushion needing a spanking in that photo.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

banned
    Haha, great replies.

...Of course, if the past is any indication of the future, more great bikes will come down the pipeline. Even among fatties, my safe guess is that the selection of parts, frames and geo will be a bit different a couple seasons from now. Build a new fatty then 'need' another one sooner or later? Every time I've built a bike to end all past bikes, I end up doing it again, lol.

Perhaps the astute plan is to hold pat and ride the Muk as much as I can, once getting up to speed again; then I should be able to answer my own question. Too much time now to think about new projects and thus too many temptations. 650b FS, 650b+ hard tail, 26+ hard tail, fatty +/- front suspension, fatter tires, lighter rimsÖ until the wallet folds inside-out, the possibilities are endless!!
    Last edited by awai04; 09-14-2014 at 01:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    You guys, fatbikes are awesome but nothing can touch freeride bikes imo

Two Headed Boy
    I've recently been considering buying an ECR as I really only have room for 2 bikes. I have a road bike I use quite a bit, but figured the ECR could do all the rest, snow, bikepacking, grocery getting, single and double track. Going to the bike shop next week to maybe set things in motion....
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    I own Five bikes. A 1913 BSA road racing bike, a 1976 Miyata 710 road racing bike, a 1947 Schwinjn dirt klunker, a 2012 Trek Marlin ss and my Fatty a 2014 Gravity Bullseye Monster. The only one that gets ridden is the Monster. I feel like a kid again on those fat tires and It handles soooo well on the trails in the area. I also prefer the fatty to run in town because our streets are pretty rough. The Trek sits gathering dust because my knees have a touch of Arthritis in them and the ride and gearing that the fatty provides is a relief.
    Last edited by oldbear52; 09-13-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: mispelled words

mtbr member
    I like riding all four off my bikes. Waiting on my first fatty to arrive. Demoed one and would rather have a fatty than a full-sup.

mtbr member
    Sold my Specialized 29er to buy my Fatty...no need for both, plus I couldn't ride the 29er on the beach. Keeping the road bike because sometimes I just want to go fast.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbear52 View Post
    I feel like a kid again on those fat tires
    That's exactly how I felt the first time I tried one up and down the neighborhood block! A shop mechanic had his own personal Pugsley near the shop entrance for sale, and I test rode it. The frame was one size larger than what I would choose, so I didn't buy that particular one. However, I approached one of my group riders, who happens to co-own a LBS and is a Salsa dealer, and ordered up a Mukluk 2. That was almost exactly 1 year ago.

I do understand the value of variety. With regard to bikes, it can make the attributes of different bikes stand out relative to each other, and thus keep a rider interested in all of them. That said, sometimes certain types of bikes just lose their sparkle over time. The question is whether or not the loss of interest is a temporary sort of thing due to familarity, or an idea that has been fully explored on the rider's local trails and thus "played out."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

I do understand the value of variety. With regard to bikes, it can make the attributes of different bikes stand out relative to each other, and thus keep a rider interested in all of them. That said, sometimes certain types of bikes just lose their sparkle over time. The question is whether or not the loss of interest is a temporary sort of thing due to familarity, or an idea that has been fully explored on the rider's local trails and thus "played out."
    Nicely put, awai04. I'll never develop the skill-set to 'out-ride' my Stumpjumper FSR, but different styles of bikes can provide vastly different experiences on the same terrain. Kind of why I'm looking into the fat-bike thing...

NeedGod.com
    I just got my first fatbike and I can almost guarantee you that I will not be riding my 29er hardtail until next summer when things are hot and dry. The fatbike is going to be a 10 months out of the year bike.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My Pugs is my only bike. I ride it year round (and the winter of 2013/14 was spectacular!). I do lots of Road riding with it in the summer...insane hill riding...going up sucks...but it decsends like a bandit! I got it up to 46 mph last year at the Darilyland Dare in Wi.

I like to quote Gene Hackman from Hoosiers when people ask me what other types of bikes I own...

"My team is on the floor"!

mtbr member
    Just got a Trek Farley 6 and my 29er is now for sale!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    sold my 29er and upgraded my fatboy.. Bluto, reverb dropper, xt brakes 203mm front and 180mm rear.. riding with my meetup group, I get looks from eveyone.. I let them ride it and then they understand why..

Fat bikes as the only bikes??-image.jpg

mtbr member
    My only Mountain bike is my FATBACK

here it is doing the lumberjack 100!!!!

Fat bikes as the only bikes??-img_0860_1024.jpg

Chris Bling
    I had my Pugsley as my only ride for nearly a year, then somehow ended up with 5 more bikes since then....
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

banned
    Haha, that's a comment for the n+1 thread!

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    I had my Pugsley as my only ride for nearly a year, then somehow ended up with 5 more bikes since then....

Moderator Moderator
    Fat bike only for me. Broke my 29er in the spring and the fat bike has been my main ride since. I'm running a set of 29er+ wheels right now on it. I find I am no slower or faster than my 29er was.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    im rocking mine all season

mtbr member
    Have a Titus titanium Motolite and a Cove Hummer. Put a Salsa Ti Mukluk together back in April and have only ridden the other two once each since. I've put 225000 vertical feet of climbing on the fatty so far and definatly don't think it has held me back. So ya I'd have no problem having a fatty as my only ride.

mtbr member
    Two weeks experience with my fat bike does't count for much, but since i got it, I have ridden it exclusively. Including errands and even quite a few miles on the road. The dreaded chipseal is now actually fun.
    I am very pleased.

Fat bikes as the only bikes??-south-mnt-creek.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I sure couldn't have a fatty as my only bike. I've got a Moonlander for winter and a once in a while trail ride, a Turner Flux 27.5 for my main mtb, a Schwinn Homegrown hard tail, a Giant TCX for cross and mtb trails (and road wheels too). I'm looking at putting a 27.5 titanium hard tail race bike together. I smile when I ride my Moonie in the dirt because it is different, but I also smile when I ride my other bikes because they are dialed for the intended purpose I bought them for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm selling one of my lower spec 29ers and my crit road bike right now. I will be keeping my Specialized Roubaix for long distance road riding and my Soma Double Cross for commuting/dirt trails. My Yelli Screamy's fate is unknown. I haven't gotten a fat bike yet due to analysis paralysis and a tight budget. I'd like to get down to 3 MTBs though. A 27.5 FS trail bike, a weight weenie XC 29er and an all around fatbike. Now I just have to try to decide what bike will meet my needs and budget, knowing I tend to change components and tinker all the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I'm currently headed that direction, I'll keep my Road Bike, for summer roadie rides, but I really love my Fat Bike....anyone want a Lynskey Pro 29er tricked out with Carbon wheels and King everything?
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    I used to race pro xc. Now all I ride is my Fatboy. The bike is still fast as all hell if you set it up right, learn to ride it, and get your tire pressure just right. It's also a lot more fun tooling around on local trails than any of my prior race bikes. I will also say I really like the steering precision of the rigid carbon fork. You actually have to and get to steer and pilot the bike. It's fun and it makes you a better rider.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    I entered a charity Century ride late summer on my hardtail 29er MTB.
    I was the only MTB rider and the looks I got from all the spandex-clad beanpoles was priceless.

So I entered and rode another one a week later!

Next year I plan to ride a couple Centuries on my Fat Bike. 38 pounds of lumbering FAT with 4" snow tires. If that works out I may sell the 29er and put the money into a lighter Fat Bike, maybe even a carbon.

Yeah.....Fat Bikes - One Bike to Rule Them All.
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have Surly Ice Cream Truck, Trek Remedy 29er, and Trek Superfly HT! Love all of them
    SWING YOUR LEG OVER IT AND PEDAL:cool:

mtbr member
    If all that you do is trail riding than sure why not do a fatty only. One of my buds recently replaced his 4x4 29'r with a fatbike and rode it all season on some pretty gnarly trails. However, he does have a big bike for lift access so it's not his only bike. But it's his go to rig. It doesn't hurt that he's one of the strongest riders I know (before going mostly fat). Also, he's a frame builder and designed and built up the bike to ride more like an AM bike.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="//
    Whole lotta cushion needing a spanking in that photo.

That was funny

I love my fat bike but I also love my other bikes. I enjoy the change. The way I describe why I have so many bikes is this: you can ride 1 trail 3 different ways based on the number of different bikes you have. I currently ride 3 different types of Mtn bikes, and looking to add a 4th

mtbr member
    After trying a fat bike for the first time a little while ago, I could see it as a 3rd bike, but no way I'd go without my DH bike and 6" trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If the world was ending and I could only have one bike I would probably have to keep my Beargrease... But why have only one? There are so many to choose from and so many different ways/ places to ride. Ride what you have as often as you can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Re: Fat bikes as the only bikes??

Fatbike as only bike? I'm still trying to talk myself into having only one fatbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autosmith View Post
    If the world was ending and I could only have one bike I would probably have to keep my Beargrease... But why have only one? There are so many to choose from and so many different ways/ places to ride. Ride what you have as often as you can.
    I totally agree but I still like riding my Fatboy SL more than any other bike I own and I never thought I would say that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    I totally agree but I still like riding my Fatboy SL more than any other bike I own and I never thought I would say that.
    Ah dude, you're going to be a bad influence on me. I have a Fatboy, mostly stock but w/ Bluto added. It's great! I'm debating between a) upgrading the hell out of it, or b) putting it back to rigid and getting moving the Bluto to a carbon bucksaw when available.

The gamble of upgrading the Fatboy that I may inevitably end up wanting to buy the bucksaw anayway. Nooooooo, that's the only plan that's not allowed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post

Ok i may sound dumb, but what is a Fatboy SL, I own a FatBoy and i know there are pro and expert, but what is SL??

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I wouldn't have it as my only bike but I don't think I'd be without one either. The shed where I keep my bikes has deep gravel leading up to it to avoid mud. When I ride my 2.X tire bike out it sink like an anvil but the fatty just floats over the gravel.

mtbr member
    What is always missing from these threads is always the money component.

Which is why everyone posts they'd rather have more bikes.

To me, the question is do you want one $4000 bike or two $2000 bikes. Do you want a carbon borealis or beargrease, or do you want a mukluck 3 or pugsley and a modest hardtail 29er?

IF you put your resources into one bike, you have a better bike which may or may make up for it not being ideal for all conditions.

I think where I'm personally heading is two bikes rather than 3 or 4. A 100mm/5" fat bike and a 65mm/4" fatbike. And no, I don't want to switch wheelsets either--I want both bikes ready to go all year.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by man.cave View Post
    Ok i may sound dumb, but what is a Fatboy SL, I own a FatBoy and i know there are pro and expert, but what is SL??
    The SL is about $5500.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Every month more and more riders are going all fat. I am not suggesting that every MTB'er will do that, but I would be curious what the percentage of riders who give it an honest shot are doing after a year or so. That's what it took me. I had 3 new rides in about a 15 month period, new road bike, full boinger, and then a fatty. All high end carbon, all great bikes, all 2013 or 2014. Day after day I kept pulling down the fatty and started to ask myself why I had $8K worth of new bikes I wasn't riding and realized my mistake of buying the other bikes, admitted it to myself, sold them all and took my lumps. Now I currently ride an Echo and don't miss the other's on any level. I think one of the reason's the decision for me was so easy though is because I live very close to some nice trails and the roads were getting waaay to crowded so the road bike wasn't any fun anymore and I quit racing so there was no need for the carbon 29 full squish. In the end, it was easy to admit the fatty was just more fun, because every ride seemed like an adventure. I can honestly say I don't think I will ever own another skinny tired bike. 29er plus will be as skinny as I go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

The gamble of upgrading the Fatboy that I may inevitably end up wanting to buy the bucksaw anayway. Nooooooo, that's the only plan that's not allowed.
    Do it, you know it's what you really want to do!
    Latitude 61

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I could see the merit of having one decked-out fatty but I'd still want some sort of secondary bike. Just got a Fatboy and plan to keep it rigid and low dough; I put on some carbon bars and post I had from another bike,short stem and plan on going tubeless and swapping out the cassette for an xtr I have floating around. I think that'll do it.
    So far I've found the rigid fatty is a beast in the rocky trails I ride. Other than the downhills I haven't felt at a loss for my Devinci Atlas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    If all that you do is trail riding than sure why not do a fatty only.
    i ride my fatboy everywhere.. weekdays on the road.. about 16 miles everyday.. and weekends on the trails.. sometimes at the beach as well after riding concrete.. why restrict fabike on the trails only?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Recently started out on a bike again after several years away. Went straight for a fat bike as my only bike.
    I wasn't looking for speed, but was looking for fun. As such, no suspension to mess on with and a pretty simple setup was very appealing.
    It will get used for a mix of trail, pavement and pretty much anywhere else I want to go. Makes me smile like a little kid each time I look at it!!

mtbr member

Keep the others! Fat bikes, 29ers, and singlespeeds are just a fad.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

I agree bike trends can be just that, but I say 29ers r here to stay and 26 going out. U just have to look at bike sales to see that. As for fats and ss, who knows sales are not on the same playing field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Have my Road/gravel bike, FS 26'er, DJ, and my fatty w/ 80mm and 29+.... All have a place in my heart, and get the $hit ridden out of'em.

If I had were limited to one...fatty w/winter and summer wheelset would be my choice. But I'm not so...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Every time I get ready to ride I walk out to the garage and stare at my 29R Camber and my 26R Cannondale then for some reason, I load up my fatty, 2015 Kona "Wo".
    Go figure!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just sold off 3 bikes to upgrade the fat bike. Also had a set of 29er+ wheels built for it. Going to run as my only bike for awhile till I decide what I want as a second bike.

So will end up with 2 instead of 4.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For putting in miles on dirt, a fatty is a chore, but for tech and mixed terrain, I'd take a fatty with two wheel sets: 26 x 4, 27.5 x 3

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    One fat bike, two wheel sets: 650b+ and 26 x 4"

mtbr member
    MTB riding: My Fatboy is my only bike replacing a full suspension Stumpy Pro.

Road & GravelCross: Carbon Crux Pro with two wheelsets - road & "not road."

My wife only supports the Optimal Number of Bikes owned = N+1 to a certain degree... :-)
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have been riding my fatboy exclusively for about 6 weeks now, and although I do enjoy it, it is still my 3rd mtn bike. I plan on making 2 more purchases in 2015 one of which will be a ss, so I am not sure where it will fall after that.

Don't get me wrong, I love my fat bike, but I also love several different kinds of riding, and sometimes I ride for speed and breaking PR's and a fat isn't the bike to do that on.

aka bOb
    To me it is irrelevant if I ride my fatty more than the others, sometimes it's just not the best tool in the shed. I like having a fatty with a wide winter wheelset, and a 50mm summer set, a comfy fun trail semi long travel bike, and a gravel/cx bike (still one of my favorites). Right now I have about my perfect setup, why limit to just one?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey Ben, I like the idea of going with a 650b+ as opposed to a 29+. 29+ seems like it would raise the center of gravity, higher bb. What rims and tires are you running, and is the diameter the same as your 26 x 4.0.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I wouldn't buy another bigger travel trail bike until someone makes a 650b+ version. Until then I will ride my Fatboy everywhere, and the 26 FS, and all the other dirt bikes, will sit. A 2.3 tire feels sketchy compared to fat bike tire.

mtbr member
    My fatty is my only ride. I have a set of wheels for the commute/road (with a set of Black Floyds) and a dirt wheelset (Bud/Lou combo) to handle any riding I'll be doing. I am thinking of following Nurse Ben's suggestion of getting a 27.5x3" setup down the road for a summer wheelset...but I'm really enjoying the 5" tires so much right now.

I don't ride the road (other than commuting) much these days and still roll the fatty when I do. If I did road group rides a ton, I would consider getting a road bike (or a 29er wheelset that I could mount skinny tires on) but I don't and it would sit wihout much use.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I don't think I can. I love riding it but I need variety I feel... Right now it is my only bike because I sold my nice CX bike. I am looking to maybe pick up an ECR or Fargo for the summer for road / light trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    The SL is about $5500.
    Ok, They don't have it listed on there US web site

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilutedq View Post
    I don't think I can. I love riding it but I need variety I feel...
    I hear you on that.

If the funds were free flowing and I would realistically have time to ride a road, cx, 29er, DH, rigid, fatty...etc. bike, I totally would have one of each.

Practically, right now, I can't justify the funds or the time. So I'm "stuck" with the fatty ...it a hard life.

mtbr member
    I'm stuck with my Fatboy or my 16yo Cannondale XC mtb. Not complaining. Enjoying riding the fatty whenever I can.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Fat is where is at

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRay View Post
    I wouldn't buy another bigger travel trail bike until someone makes a 650b+ version. Until then I will ride my Fatboy everywhere, and the 26 FS, and all the other dirt bikes, will sit. A 2.3 tire feels sketchy compared to fat bike tire.
    I bought a 9 Zero 7 last summer and it is my go to bike ever since. I have ridden my full suspension about three times since then and I agree that the 2.5 tires feels sketchy. Every root and stick is cause for an accident lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have had my fat bike for a month it is fun . I do still feel the urge to rail some trails on my Devinci carbon troy. But I have a more budget fat bike and I am thinking of a Chinese carbon fat bike build . That may change how much I ride the troy.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike