fat bikes dont fit!!!! Need tall rider help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

fat bikes dont fit!!!! Need tall rider help

OK - so I am a bit of a freak to fit - hoping some tall guys out there can help.

I finally found a an FS bike that fits like a dream - a Guerrilla Gravity Smash - steep seat angle, long reach, tall stack - is there anything even close in the fat bike world? I have an older Farley is not even close to fitting me and I need to change it out now that the snow is starting to fly - 100% snow bike for me.... 6'6" 230 - 36" inseam - long arms...

Any help is so greatly appreciated!!!

Brian

turtles make me hot
    Ventana.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Im 68 38 inseam and ride a Ice Cream Truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Im the same height as you with longer legs at 38 inseam. I test rode the XL Salsa Mukluk; it should fit you well.
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Growler's XL might be worth looking at:
    https://growlerbikes.com/collections...cts/mrbigstuff

Wozo XL:
    KONA BIKES | MTB | FATBIKE | Wozo

Or are you looking for full squish?
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am 6'5" and the wozo is a great fit! Tall stack, long top tube, long reach. I built mine up 27.5 fat and do fine with 175 cranks. I even run it with a 50mm stem. The 2019 looks rad or build up a 2018! For reference I ride an xxl fuel ex which is the first bike I have ever boathouse that actually fit.

Seriously, I like my wozo as much as the fuel. It's a tuff choice ever time I ride...

Now I am listing over a trail pistol(great geo in xl)... some day....

mtbr member
    Surly ice cream truck xxl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of the Sage View Post
    Im the same height as you with longer legs at 38 inseam. I test rode the XL Salsa Mukluk; it should fit you well.
    I don't know the upper height limits of the XL Mukluk but I'm 6'2" (and a half) with a 35.5" inseam. I can run a 125mm dropper and swapped out the stock 80mm stem for a 60mm. Fits me great, but I don't think I'd want to be any shorter on the XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    New Surly Ice Cream Truck XL has a 26" Effective Top Tube.

I am 6'2"1/2 I ride a Surly Wednesday Large. At 6'6" any of the Surly XL trail bikes should fit you fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I think a custom would be cool for you. Curtlo or some builder like that are just ideal. Doug at Curtlo is a very tall dude, like Zinn, so hes particularly good at fitting.

And prices are less for many steel custom shops than youd think.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have a 35 inseam. The calculation for saddle height is inseam x .883. Therefore, 38 inseam would need 38 x .883 = 33.55 inches from center of bottom bracket to top of saddle.

I have a Surly Wednesday in Large, which has an 18.5 inch seat tube. At 35 inseam, my top of saddle to center of bottom bracket is 30.9 inches.

So, you need a saddle height that is 2.65 inches greater than my saddle to bottom bracket.

The XL Surly ICT is at 20.5 inch seat tube vs 18.5 inches on my Wednesday. So, that is 2" inches of the need 2.65 inches that are need. So, on an XL Surly ICT you would have only .65 inches more of seat post tube exposed than I have on my Wednesday.

I am not maxed out on my seat post, so have an additional .65 inches exposed on the XL frame is very doable.

With the standard seatpost that came with my Wednesday, there is still about 1.25 of seat post before the minimum insertion line. So, .65 inches higher will keep you within spec of the seat post length.

So, I don't think you need a custom frame.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    ...The calculation for saddle height is inseam x .883...
    never heard that before. Can i ask how you know of the .883 calculation?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Rodney,

That is an old Greg Lemond calculation. He propably didn't come up with the calculation, but he made it known.

Just do a google search on, "Lemond Saddle height calculation".

Myself and a few of my friends did not use the calculation and just setup our seats like everyone else through trial and error. Then, when we found the calculation we measured our saddle height and damn if wasn't .883 of our inseam, or the best we could measure it was.

So, it seems to work for both mountain bikes and road bikes, at least when the mountain bike is used for standard trail riding. Downhillers and Freeriders probably have lower saddles.

You just have to make sure you don't use you pants inseam. Rather measure your inseam from your crotch to the floor. You will probably need some help doing your inseam measure. Placing a thin book under against the crotch and measuring from the top of the book to the floor gives a sraighter line for measuring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So, my calculations is that with a standard seatpost like the one that came on Surly Wednesday, you can ride a Surly Ice Cream Truck upto about a 38.68 inch inseam and you would still have the minium required amount of seatpost in the seat tube.

That could probably include guys unto 6'8"-ish. Depending on how leggy they are.