Fat bike of xcountry skis- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Fat bike of xcountry skis

Let me present - OAC WAP skis, Skinbased.com - Your unlimeted access to the backcountry
    I never liked snow shoes and my xcountry skis proved to be pretty much useless in the forest/singletrack around here. I mean I could still somewhat break the trail with them after fresh snow but it was far from ideal.
    So I got OAC WAPs, made in Finland. I think they were importers of Hok skis and later decided to do their own thing. Here in Canada MEC sells them.
    - Way faster compared to snowshoes
    - Climbing is no problemo, you just walk up thanks to integrated skins
    - Bindings are their own design and you can use pretty much any hiking shoe. And if you want mount NNN BC or similar - you can do so on 147cm version and up (I prefer universal and small size)
    - Breaking the trail takes no time at all, I take my dogs with me and I can do whole loop even without the poles
    - You can go downhill pretty fast and they are very easy to control.
    - They take very little space in the car
    - Glide great as is and you can also use liquid wax if you wish

Their channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQl...If1w8EiEkbtLkQ

So after several trials - I sold my xcountry skis and shoes and sticking with OAC WAPs.

Read up on Hok skis as well, they are very similar. Hoks are well regarded as well, supposedly made in China (vs Finland for OACs) by some facility who's focus is on snowboards and skis

If you are bored with your snowshoes or just want to explore fun way to break the trail for your fattie ride later - give them a try!

Loser
    That's interesting - can you get rowdy on them? the video I just watched looked pretty tame. Generally in the woods on skis I'm looking to do the exciting stuff.

Thanks for that. I'm going to check them out. I'm not a fan of snowshoes either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    That's interesting - can you get rowdy on them? the video I just watched looked pretty tame. Generally in the woods on skis I'm looking to do the exciting stuff.
    Yep, you totally can - look up Hok skis videos and also check their longer models. It is not full on downhill racing skis but that's not what they are about.
    I guess their video targeted towards general population who wants easy way to explore nature. My wife was totally sold on them after watching it (she tried my off-trail touring xcountry skis the day before and did not enjoy them very much)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    Thanks for that. I'm going to check them out. I'm not a fan of snowshoes either.
    Same here, not a fan. I am OK with snowhoes if I absolutely have to use them (like really fluff stuff up to a bout a waist or above) but I'd rather just use regular shoes when possible. And these things - so much fun, I was going off the trail all the time just to find fresh untouched deep snow (that's where they really shine)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What do these things cost?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Varies by where you are. I bought mine at MEC,https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5051-6...th-EA-Bindings, $399 CAD (which is approximately $20 USD :-))
    And it is for skis and already mounted bindings
    To compare my xcountry setup was roughly $200 CAD more (Alpina Discovery 68 skis, Rossingol X6 shoes, NNN BC magnum Rottefella bingings)

Poles are extra, you may or may not need them

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here is alternative, Altai Skis (I believe they were first to the market before OAC) https://us-store.altaiskis.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mongol777 View Post
    Yep, you totally can - look up Hok skis videos and also check their longer models. It is not full on downhill racing skis but that's not what they are about.
    I guess their video targeted towards general population who wants easy way to explore nature. My wife was totally sold on them after watching it (she tried my off-trail touring xcountry skis the day before and did not enjoy them very much)
    Friend of mine uses hok skis to groom but its relatively flat where hes grooming. By my house is steep punchy hills and switchbacks. Was looking for something to possibly groom that, these might be awesome for that with the ability to climb.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Friend of mine uses hok skis to groom but its relatively flat where hes grooming. By my house is steep punchy hills and switchbacks. Was looking for something to possibly groom that, these might be awesome for that with the ability to climb.
    How does he like the Hoks? I am considering second pair now as my wife really likes them so I can get another pair of OAC's or go for Hoks. I like a bit more raised tip on Hoks and I like that they have steel edges. There is one shop in Canada which carries them, about 2 hrs drive for me. I'd like to see them in person and try them (they have demo as I understand) before deciding between them and OACs

I was climbing some steep hills today, packed and fresh - no complaints. Hok's should be the same both have integrated synthetic skin

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    ~$260 for skis and bindings. Peanuts compared to what we spend on bikes.

OAC Skis Wap 127 BC Ski | Outdoor Gear Exchange

I'm seriously tempted to get these. I'm 15 min from a national park that I can spend all winter exploring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'd be more excited about them if they had the durable, waxless, maintenance free, fish scale type bottoms. What kind of bindings do they use? The concept seems really interesting. I like the idea of short, fat skis that could be used in the woods in the place of snowshoes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    I'd be more excited about them if they had the durable, waxless, maintenance free, fish scale type bottoms. What kind of bindings do they use? The concept seems really interesting. I like the idea of short, fat skis that could be used in the woods in the place of snowshoes.
    Both Hok and OAC are waxless. You do need to waterproof the skin part as part of maintenance but it is very easy and quick. You can also use liquid wax if you want on gliding part. Skins are the key to very good climbing.

You can use any binding really. I personally would not put NNN type binding on short versions as it is too narrow. I am happy with universal binding.

If you don't want skins - https://marquette-backcountry.com/
    But they are much heavier according to specs and reviews

beer thief
    These types of skis rip. I have the LL Bean Boreals (made by Rossignol) and bought the Altai Hok for my lady. Both are rippers. I replaced the cheesy universal bindings on the Boreals with G3 cable telemark bindings and use an old pair of T2 plastic tele boots. Great for tele or alpine turns and the waxless fishscales climb and glide well. The Hoks climb better but are not as fast. Probably need to replace those bindings also.

I've skied double diamond steeps with them and they really do rip. Super versatile and useful for finishing work for fat bike grooming..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What is wrong with AT skis?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Both Hok and OAC are waxless. You do need to waterproof the skin part as part of maintenance but it is very easy and quick. You can also use liquid wax if you want on gliding part. Skins are the key to very good climbing.

You can use any binding really. I personally would not put NNN type binding on short versions as it is too narrow. I am happy with universal binding.

If you don't want skins - https://marquette-backcountry.com/
    But they are much heavier according to specs and reviews
    Thanks for the link. I'm just lazy I guess and I look at these type of skis as just something to use when the trails are too soft or deep to walk my dog easily. I don't want to have to do anything to them and just treat them like snowshoes. Wear them, put them away, wear them again. I used to have a set of Kahru XC skis that were pretty wide and waxless, those worked pretty well and were maintenance free. I lost them or they were stolen at some point over the years.

mtbr member
    I have the Altai Hok, 125cm. First tried them 2 winters ago and was hooked (hoked?). Bought a set early last winter. They really have replaced my snowshoes and BC XC skis and are a blast on mountain bike trails. I mounted the BC NNN bindings on them and use my BC boots. I ski some steep, fun downs and they work well. The combination of glide, maneuverability and climbing ability just make them the best of all worlds.

I find they are great for getting the first 3-4 initials passes through a trail. But in general, a set of snowshoes for the last couple passes are better for fatbike grooming. But I much prefer them to snowshoes.

Here I am breaking some trail after a snowfall this winter.

Fat bike of xcountry skis-hoks.jpg
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the link. I'm just lazy I guess and I look at these type of skis as just something to use when the trails are too soft or deep to walk my dog easily. I don't want to have to do anything to them and just treat them like snowshoes. Wear them, put them away, wear them again. I used to have a set of Kahru XC skis that were pretty wide and waxless, those worked pretty well and were maintenance free. I lost them or they were stolen at some point over the years.
    Here is another one, Home: Trackers Skishoes are innovative snowhoes with a gliding component that increases speed - Trackers Skishoes.

Cross-country skis and snowshoes in one - Trackers Skishoes

I'll just keep adding links to this thread

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you, appreciate your post!
    If you don't mind answering - what is your height and weight?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I have the Altai Hok, 125cm. First tried them 2 winters ago and was hooked (hoked?). Bought a set early last winter. They really have replaced my snowshoes and BC XC skis and are a blast on mountain bike trails. I mounted the BC NNN bindings on them and use my BC boots. I ski some steep, fun downs and they work well. The combination of glide, maneuverability and climbing ability just make them the best of all worlds.

I find they are great for getting the first 3-4 initials passes through a trail. But in general, a set of snowshoes for the last couple passes are better for fatbike grooming. But I much prefer them to snowshoes.

Here I am breaking some trail after a snowfall this winter.

mtbr member
    5'8 and 165 lbs.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    May 2011
    5'8 and 165 lbs.
    Thank you! Trying to figure out if I will lose much float with Hoks. I am 5'10 and ~170 lbs in winter. Your pic shows fresh track a bit deeper compared to what is left behind by OAC WAP's (obvously could be snow/temperature difference) but looks good enough for me. I will probably buy the Hok's and will give OAC to my wife. This way we can trade later and compare.

mtbr member
    Thank you! Trying to figure out if I will lose much float with Hoks. I am 5'10 and ~170 lbs in winter. Your pic shows fresh track a bit deeper compared to what is left behind by OAC WAP's (obvously could be snow/temperature difference) but looks good enough for me. I will probably buy the Hok's and will give OAC to my wife. This way we can trade later and compare.
    When I'm breaking trail with the hoks with 5cm+ of new snow and on flat terrain, I have very little, to no glide. But I went with the shorter skis for maneuverability. I don't really ski with them, but rather walk, but with the intention of having fun on the downs.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When I'm breaking trail with the hoks with 5cm+ of new snow and on flat terrain, I have very little, to no glide. But I went with the shorter skis for maneuverability. I don't really ski with them, but rather walk, but with the intention of having fun on the downs.
    Same here. I am now thinking Hoks may be more suited for me if they will sink a bit deeper and compact snow a bit more. My dogs usually follow me and while Husky/Shepherd cross has no problems keeping up on any terrain, my Akita sometime struggles with deeper snow (he is getting fat by just looking at food and had two knee surgeries).

mtbr member
    That day we already had a good 25cm of base and then another 15cm fell the previous night, so it was 'fluffy'.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Interesting! I didn't know something like that existed. I'm assuming they float a person better in deep snow than snowshoes? I like how durable they look. My wife and I have MSR Denali snowshoes that are made of plastic and they've been super tough and durable. I like that I don't have to worry about cut off willow and alder branches spearing through our snowshoes like a pungi stick.
    J

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Interesting! I didn't know something like that existed. I'm assuming they float a person better in deep snow than snowshoes? I like how durable they look. My wife and I have MSR Denali snowshoes that are made of plastic and they've been super tough and durable. I like that I don't have to worry about cut off willow and alder branches spearing through our snowshoes like a pungi stick.
    J
    I do not know, I am as new to this as you are :-) I was out several times on mine, different conditions, differents snow and temps and different speeds. So learning as I go. So far Tracker Skishoes look most maintenance free and also allow crampons (do not need them personally for my trails but looks like important feature for many folks).

OAC WAP's work really good for me and I think Hoks will be right at home too.

mtbr member
    How does he like the Hoks? I am considering second pair now as my wife really likes them so I can get another pair of OAC's or go for Hoks. I like a bit more raised tip on Hoks and I like that they have steel edges. There is one shop in Canada which carries them, about 2 hrs drive for me. I'd like to see them in person and try them (they have demo as I understand) before deciding between them and OACs

I was climbing some steep hills today, packed and fresh - no complaints. Hok's should be the same both have integrated synthetic skin
    He really likes them, im used them tonight. Yah its like a snow shoe and ski. Was weird walking up a packed hill easily.

Hes said hes used and abused them for 2 years no issues. I might pull the trigger, i liked how wide his snowshoes were making the trail one way but he said you could probably go one way and back on the skis as fast as snowshoes one way and funner. I think ill get some for my local trails. That way i can ski to them then ski them and ski home. With the shoes i would almost have to drive there then walk.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    He really likes them, im used them tonight. Yah its like a snow shoe and ski. Was weird walking up a packed hill easily.

Hes said hes used and abused them for 2 years no issues. I might pull the trigger, i liked how wide his snowshoes were making the trail one way but he said you could probably go one way and back on the skis as fast as snowshoes one way and funner. I think ill get some for my local trails. That way i can ski to them then ski them and ski home. With the shoes i would almost have to drive there then walk.
    Cool, thanks! I think I'll try them for the second pair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    we have about a half dozen people in our club that now have these. They are quite a bit of fun and are useful for singletrack grooming efforts. If you ski second path right beside the first set of tracks you end up with a decent width of trail. I have been using them to pull a homemade sled - mostly on the flats but can climb a bit as well. More enjoyable than snowshoeing but I still use both depending on the day.
    Fat bike of xcountry skis-img_0316.jpgFat bike of xcountry skis-img_0198.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hoks with universal binding for $235 at LL Bean right now.

I bought 3x for the family. Perfect prep for our local fatbike trails :-).

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks OP, I've been really looking to mix it up this winter between my fat bike and snow shoes. I wanted to try a good "skate" style XC ski that I could take off the trails too, but this might be the better answer.

Never even knew these existed!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by no sweat View Post
    Hoks with universal binding for $235 at LL Bean right now.

I bought 3x for the family. Perfect prep for our local fatbike trails :-).
    can I get a link ? I see them for $329

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by momikey View Post
    can I get a link ? I see them for $329
    Use the promo code they have on their site, it's 25% off almost everything in the store.

Promo code: SNOW25

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Oh crap, I went to order snow shoes this morning from them and I thought it was only $25 off any order over $100, thanks man! 25% off is huge, plus a lifetime warranty!

Now I think I will be subbing these for the snowshoes I was looking at!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What kind of poles are you guys using with this kind of ski? Since it's kind of a blend between ski and snowshoe I don't know if you'd be better off with an XC pole or snowshoe pole? I'd think you'd want to go shorter than proper XC poles either way, or adjustable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tgarson View Post
    What kind of poles are you guys using with this kind of ski? Since it's kind of a blend between ski and snowshoe I don't know if you'd be better off with an XC pole or snowshoe pole? I'd think you'd want to go shorter than proper XC poles either way, or adjustable.
    I never used poles with snow shoes. But then I've never tried to go anywhere really difficult with snow shoes, either.

I'm going to make some of these https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/tiak/. My wife watched the video and said "That looks just right." And it does. It makes total sense for our out-the-back-door environment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ordered a couple pair with the discount today from LL Bean, also looks like each pair comes with 3 free passes to Nordic ski centers and being in VT there are about 15 listed that LL Bean works with, pretty cool stuff, thanks OP.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Ordered a couple pair with the discount today from LL Bean, also looks like each pair comes with 3 free passes to Nordic ski centers and being in VT there are about 15 listed that LL Bean works with, pretty cool stuff, thanks OP.
    I don't see where it says anything about Nordic passes. Can you elaborate?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Sure, I didn't notice it until going back to read more reviews. Under product details, right below the link "Questions chat with experts" there is a promo box and it says "Free skiing with every set" read the details and select your state and whichever places are near you will pop up if the participate. Pretty cool thing for them to offer.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Good to know, I too don't snowshoe and these would be great for packing down the trail. Gotta get a few friends in on them too!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sure, I didn't notice it until going back to read more reviews. Under product details, right below the link "Questions chat with experts" there is a promo box and it says "Free skiing with every set" read the details and select your state and whichever places are near you will pop up if the participate. Pretty cool thing for them to offer.
    That's great info here, very tempted to try a set! Only weird thing is that ski pass only seems to apply to the shorter 125cm set, not the longer 145cm ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    It says they offer it for all XC ski sales and this is listed under that category so I'm sure they would honor it for you if you contacted them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    lol. Skis due here Tues. Tues night has 10" in the forecast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by no sweat View Post
    lol. Skis due here Tues. Tues night has 10" in the forecast.
    I'm jealous, green grass in VT right now and the 5" tomorrow night now looks like sleet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    These "skis" can be a lot of fun. I'm a backcountry skier, so use AT or telemark gear. But a few years ago I ran across a pair of the Karhu version and bought them for friends who want to go out with me, but weren't up to skiiing.

I've had a few opportunities to introduce folks to the off-piste on these devices. Now they've sat around for a couple of season without use,but look new. If anyone is interested I'd sell for a very low price just to see them used. PM me if interested in seeing pictures.

p.s. I post this with hesitation, if it's not appropriate for this section of the forum, let me know and I will delete. Just hate to see gear sit w/o use....

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Just got two pairs sent up to AK for my wife and me. Super fun so far. Not much of a skier, so to me and my shaky abilities, they seem so much more stable. A "real" skier might find them a bit slow. Taking them to Kincaid this week. Should probably go tomorrow to pack down trails but work calls. Maybe we'all get a snow day after the dumping we just got.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russinthecascades View Post
    These "skis" can be a lot of fun. I'm a backcountry skier, so use AT or telemark gear. But a few years ago I ran across a pair of the Karhu version and bought them for friends who want to go out with me, but weren't up to skiiing.

I've had a few opportunities to introduce folks to the off-piste on these devices. Now they've sat around for a couple of season without use,but look new. If anyone is interested I'd sell for a very low price just to see them used. PM me if interested in seeing pictures.

p.s. I post this with hesitation, if it's not appropriate for this section of the forum, let me know and I will delete. Just hate to see gear sit w/o use....

Im interested. Could you PM me specs pics and price? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Tried these things out this morning before work after shoveling the driveway. Fun stuff, excited to get to a bigger hill. I was trying the single stick method using a tree branch as a pole, worked well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I got out on my 145s for a couple hours yesterday. First tracks in fresh snow on mostly level terrain. Nice time. Super fun for the most part.

I'm a very rusty skier. DH control with the universal binding just wasn't adequate for me... so I am going to go shop for something a little more general purpose. Maybe a tele cable binding + lower end plastic boot like a T4 or Excursion. Wouldn't hurt to go get a lesson or two, either.

beer thief
    Yeah, the universal bindings are crap for any kind of turning, even on low angle terrain. I replaced them with G3 cable bindings on my Boreals and use an old T2 plastic boot. I'm going to do the same on my lady's Hoks. She has tried a few different boots but those U-bindings don't really cut it.

Candlestick Maker
    This style of ski looks pretty neat for banging around the neighborhood and national forest near my house. Any idea on the durability in mixed conditions (snow with occasional exposed rocks/gravel)? I'd suspect the skins/base would be unhappy.
    baker

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    never got that pm

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    This style of ski looks pretty neat for banging around the neighborhood and national forest near my house. Any idea on the durability in mixed conditions (snow with occasional exposed rocks/gravel)? I'd suspect the skins/base would be unhappy.
    I took mine out for the first long trip yesterday. 2-3 hours at the local trail system. They were all around fun, a few times I needed to walk across a road with exposed gravel just to cross the street. I tried to not glide at all to make sure I didn't mess up the skin at all or the glide section of the ski for that matter as well. When I got home I flipped them over and it looked like everything was fine.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...pfTVItblJJSjFn

*edit, wore a helmet because I didn't know if I might run into a tree at ski speed or snow shoe speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    my love is BMX its fat bike...

Rocking on a Rocky
    I picked up a set Hok Skis for fresh snow days and soft spring snow.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.