Fat Bike Wheelsets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Fat Bike Wheelsets

Anyone else take advantage of Borealis' sweet deals on wheelsets right now? I picked up a tubeless set and aside from the normal hassle of setting up tubeless wheels they have been awesome! Sweet deals on tubed wheels as well, they come with a free set of tires! Post up any other sweet deals on fatbike stuff if you have it!

https://www.fatbike.com/product-category/rims-wheels/

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Here is 80mm wheelset built with hubs for $150 from Origin8:

150mm thru-axle front says for Bluto

Unfortunately rear axle is QR, but you could sell it, or take it apart for parts:

Fat Bike Wheelset 190mm R 150mm F 10 Speed 80mm Rims 26x4.0 [0888571012918] - $150.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Wheelsets-740239.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I picked up a set of the tubeless FR80's a couple weeks ago and they look really nice, hopefully I'll get the bike built this weekend and get to test them out. I'm thinking if I like them I might have to pick up a pair of the 65's...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by aelf View Post
    Whats wrong with qr? They've worked perfect for many decades. Work perfect on ma fatboy.
    Nothing is wrong with QR, it works great.

But lately most the bikes I'm seeing need Thru-axle front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Yes, the industry gotsta keep the koolaid a flowin!
    They don't want you moving all your parts from your current bike to a new frame.

sluice box
    You got those Boost 205mm? yet?
    ptarmigan hardcore

Flying Sasquatch
    Yes, the industry gotsta keep the koolaid a flowin!
    I'm still pissed they went away from wooden wheels and frames !

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Why would anyone want QR over through axle? Confused. Imo. it is 2017 and all mtb should come with one on both ends.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by KTMNealio View Post
    I'm still pissed they went away from wooden wheels and frames !
    You know I had a really nice Wood-Pecker SX9000.2 (Like they say "Wood is Good"), but a clown on the internet told me that he spent 2 years deeply studying bikes, and that the hubs were crap, the rims were crap, the forks were crap - basically everything was crap.

I traded a hipster in SanFran for a nice sized bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Wheelsets-0woodbike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If you are a "me too" individual, then it would make sense that you must have thru axle and couldn't imagine using QR. I have bikes with both and to me it don't make a bit of difference when riding and smiling.

Don't get me stahted on them silly droppah posts. Once those came out all the "me too'ers" deem a bike unfit for riding downhill. Oh the LOL's!!!
    I'm super glad your riding style and locale is fine with QR and a fixed post. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Why would anyone want QR over through axle? Confused. Imo. it is 2017 and all mtb should come with one on both ends.
    For me it's because I like the quick release aspect. It is a pain to have to remove the thru axle every time I transport my bike. A first world problem for sure but, to me, still a problem. The set I have where the bearings ride directly on the thru axle is much worse in the pita factor than those that don't.
    Latitude 61

RAKC
    Guys, everyone was riding qr and fixed post not that long ago. Thru axle is some benefit but not needed, dropper is nothing more than a tool that makes life easier when riding (and for many added problems of failing parts and extra service/expense).

I'm a big guy, nothing I own yet has thru axle or a dropper. Can still ride anything I want. Neither has held me back, but a dropper would be a bit easier.

When I ride a thru axle fork that I can feel a difference I'll update accordingly. Pros and such will, us mere mortals can't tell a difference, especially on a fat.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    On a fatbike, I don't really care, we aren't going fast enough or hitting stuff hard enough to really make a difference IME. With an FS bike, you introduce a lot of flex in the front end that isn't present with a rigid, which you try to make up with 1.5 steerers, through-axles, bigger stanchions, etc. Then there's our super stiff carbon wheels. The precision of a rigid fork in steering is unmatched, through axle or no.

I'm not saying don't get it, when faced with the choice I'd go for the through on the fat bike, but mostly for compatibility between what's most common these days. I don't feel it makes much difference on the rigid fatbike. The biggest real advantage to me is you always end up with the wheel properly aligned when you get the axle in and tightened. I do have issues with the DT style rear QR, as you really have to crank this down past a certain point or it loosens up, I've found on more than one bike.

What I did like was the systems we used back in the day, that were not quick release, on my old Super T, Boxxers (yes plural), Jr T, Shivers (yes plural), 66, 888, Stratos S8U, MX6, blah blah blah. The pinch with bolts is vertical, rather than horizontal QR/threaded axle, which simply squeezes the fork legs together, which isn't going to resist movement as well as the pinch-bolt style. On top of that, it's an additional reason for someone to not steal your bike, since it takes tools to remove the wheels, at least compared with one that uses some form of QR, through axle or not. My new Fox 32 SC is actually the closest I've been to this in years, with a hex required to install/remove the axle. Given how little we actually remove the wheels these days with tray-style bike racks and tubeless tires running sealant, I'd much rather have the more secure interface like we did back in the day and just deal with using a few tools every once and a while.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...Given how little we actually remove the wheels these days with tray-style bike racks and tubeless tires running sealant, I'd much rather have the more secure interface like we did back in the day and just deal with using a few tools every once and a while...
    I have mine in exactly the same fashion. It's much less worrying when I have to leave my bike tied up, somewhere...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've still have bikes with QR that are completely satisfactory, but even $1200 bikes are front/rear thru-axle nowadays.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by endurbro84 View Post
    Anyone else take advantage of Borealis' sweet deals on wheelsets right now? I picked up a tubeless set and aside from the normal hassle of setting up tubeless wheels they have been awesome! Sweet deals on tubed wheels as well, they come with a free set of tires! Post up any other sweet deals on fatbike stuff if you have it!

https://www.fatbike.com/product-category/rims-wheels/
    I don't see the sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    I don't see the sale.
    You don't see the PAIR of 80mm tubeless wheels with Husker Du tires for $299? Or the 100mm tubeless wheels for $299? I'm running the 100mm ones (10sp driver) and like them so much I just ordered a second pair. I'm running tubeless Bud/Bulldozer on the current set and also ordered a pair of Maxxis FBR for $100 ($50 each, same site) for this set, and all of it has free shipping. They seem to seat as well as my 80mm Mulefüts but I haven run them much below 4.5psi yet.

Incidentally, Zip Tape is the perfect width for these 100mm wheels and is 1/2 the weight of Gorilla tape. Mine sealed without Stans and I've got a few hundred miles on them already, including 62 miles of bikepacking on ATV trails carrying 35 additional pounds of gear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the 80mm wheels with Husker Du's are not the tubeless version... still $300 for tubeless wheels sans tires is a steal... granted I did almost kill myself trying to remove a pair a tires... the tubeless 80's fit TIGHT

mtbr member
    That's what I get for not clicking on that specific link, I stand corrected!

Damn, and almost pulled the trigger on them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are these good quality wheels and hubs? I'd like to pick up a set for a summer wheel set but am new to this and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I've been very impressed with them. I've hucked mine off everything I could find and they're still perfect, very rocky and rooty here as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Branner View Post
    Are these good quality wheels and hubs? I'd like to pick up a set for a summer wheel set but am new to this and would appreciate any help. Thanks.
    I've only got 80 miles on mine but I'm very happy with them and plan to buy another set whenever i manage to decide between 65's or 100's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have hundreds of miles on the set I picked up in June and couldn't be happier with the purchase. They've spent very little time in the air (unlike Diligaff's), but lots of torque has gone through those hubs to get my Clyde butt up the sustained steeps of Bay Area and Tahoe XC trails.

I have Jumbo Jim 4.0s set up tubeless on the 65mm tubeless rims. They set up perfectly using just a Clownshoe rimstrip over the included Borealis one.

I did have a problem with leaking at the valve hole, fixed by using a spacer between the rim and the valve stem nut. (Without the spacer, the nut would tighten right up to the rubber part of the valve stem before the valve was tight on the rim.)

Definitely recommend these for your summer wheels.\

Good luck,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Just got back from Kingdom Trails (Vermont) where I put them through their paces hard. They still run straight and true and while I didn't have any rim strikes, some trails were taken way too fast resulting in a 'hold on a pray' mentality hoping I didn't impale myself on a tree (that's what happens when you keep up with and pass kids less than 1/2 your age (48) on FS 29'ers when comments are made about being an 'old guy'). They spent a bunch of time in the air and hucking off stuff I had no business doing (and I feel it today).

I like them so much I ordered another set for my D5's this winter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~