mtbr member
    May 2017

Fat bike transportation options?

For transporting our bikes on a car, we have one of those hitch-mount bike racks, that holds up to four bikes. It works great, even for my fat bike.

Problem is, we semi-regularly rent a van to visit northern Wisconsin, which has lots of land just begging for fat bike use! But the rental places can't/won't guarantee a van with a hitch, so I'm left without a means to transport the bike up there.

So: what are my options for transporting the bike? I'm looking for cheap as possible, but still safe.

I think I can pretty much count on the rental van having roof racks: is there something that would allow me to lay the bike on it's side, and fasten to the roof racks, maybe with the front tire removed?

Second option: technically, with the front tire removed, the bike will fit in the cargo area of the van, but the wife won't allow this unless the bike is enclosed in some kind of container, to keep the cabin clean. So is there a cheap "box" for the bike that would satisfy the wife's requirement?

FYI, bike is a 2017 Motobecane Night Train Express.

Thanks!

aka bOb
    I usually just wrap mine in a few old blankets if it's being co-mingled with mundane items.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    These racks break down into a small bundle you can easily fit in your luggage. Worthy. https://allensportsusa.com/products/...ompact-2-bike-

aka bOb
    Depending on when you go but usually anytime after the snow flies it pretty much sucks to transport a bike on the outside of a car in WI.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I usually just wrap mine in a few old blankets if it's being co-mingled with mundane items.
    That is brilliant! So simple I feel stupid for not thinking of it myself. Wife won't let me use any of our blankets, but it looks like those moving blankets are pretty cheap. Do you think four 72x80 (inches) blankets will be enough to completely enclose the bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    These racks break down into a small bundle you can easily fit in your luggage. Worthy. https://allensportsusa.com/products/...ompact-2-bike-
    I might get this as a "Plan B" in case we run out of room in the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Depending on when you go but usually anytime after the snow flies it pretty much sucks to transport a bike on the outside of a car in WI.
    Why is that? Can you elaborate? Is it just inconvenience, with the bike getting snow/ice buildup on it during the drive? Or is there more too it that I'm not thinking about?

We'll be going in November, around Thanksgiving, which has a pretty high chance of snow in northern Wisconsin.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Rider View Post

Why is that? Can you elaborate? Is it just inconvenience, with the bike getting snow/ice buildup on it during the drive? Or is there more too it that I'm not thinking about?

We'll be going in November, around Thanksgiving, which has a pretty high chance of snow in northern Wisconsin.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
    Salt residue is the most harmful thing.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Salt residue is the most harmful thing.
    Yup that nasty fine spray gets in everything, not worth i imho. I'm a person who isn't an anal freak but that crap just sucks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Dont forget your blaze orange riding gear, Thanksgiving is deer firearms season in Wisconsin.
    Blaine, Mn

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    Leave the wife. Take the bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Rider View Post
    but the wife won't allow this unless the bike is enclosed in some kind of container, to keep the cabin clean. So is there a cheap "box" for the bike that would satisfy the wife's requirement?
    The hell?

Fat-biking in snow is very clean, plus having a warm-bike inside is far better than transporting it outside, and then there's muck and salt all over the place, maybe not on the highway, but every parking area/business. For long winter distances, I don't transport it on a rack, but inside my Pilot, for this exact reason.

It's cool how my bike was caked with dirt a week and a half ago due to a muddy-mess semi-frozen ride where the temp dropped, but every ride I do now (in snow now) and it gets cleaner and cleaner.

I just use a giant blanket that I can place it on and then kind of "wrap" the blanket around the bike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    My wife made a canvas tarp to lay the bike on. She even added clips that attach to the headrest posts so it protects the seat-back as well.
    now I need her to make something to protect the sides from the Terrene studs this year, as I've been putting a piece of cardboard there.

beer thief
    Use an 8 x 10 tarp and wrap your wife in it

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Use an 8 x 10 tarp and wrap your wife in it
    LMAO that is funny

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Iffykid View Post
    Dont forget your blaze orange riding gear, Thanksgiving is deer firearms season in Wisconsin.
    Thank you for that, quite possibly life-saving tip. It wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    OP, also be aware that these types of racks, any rack where the bike hangs via the frame, scratch the hell out of frames. If that doesn't matter to you, carry on.