Fat Bike specific riding destinations- Mtbr.com
    Your Best Friend

Fat Bike specific riding destinations

Some friends and I are looking to do a fat biking trip and I'm realizing that with all I think I know about fat biking, I don't know of too many "must ride" destinations. I can't honestly say that I hear of people traveling to ride in the snow other than to do the iconic races and we aren't looking for that type.

For reference, we live near Park City Utah and are pretty spoiled by the myriad of snow singletrack options. Within a 5-6 hour drive l can be at many iconic Mountain bike destinations but are they known for their snow biking? Maybe, maybe not. I've fat biked a little of Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee and most places in Utah.

Help a brother out. Where should we go? If you could go anywhere, solely to ride your fatty in the snow, let me hear it.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

All fat, all the time.
    If I was going to specifically do a trip to fat bike, I'd be looking for a beach option instead of snow.
    All the fun, plus bikini girls.

This place needs an enema
    Are you guys looking for marked/maintained/groomed stuff, or are you looking for more adventure and less hand holding?

Lots of options popping up for the former, limitless on the latter.

Your Best Friend
    I get that a lot of resorts and similar are starting to groom "singletrack" and I guess that'd be ok. Not ideal though. True singletrack is always better however ime fat bikes more often than not cannot blaze their own snow trail and rely somewhat on either an active fat bike community or snowshoeing community. Those can be rare. I'd like to maybe hear what people have nearby and whether or not they'd recommend it as a travel destination.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also be wary of conditions, probably higher chance in the winter that weather conditions could "wipe out" all riding for a while, whether it's a big dump, rain, or whatever.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Your Best Friend
    Yeah, it's obviously hit or miss and we'll have to watch the weather closely. Do you think this may be why there aren't winter destinations for fat bikers and we usually stay close to home? Interesting thought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You could hit Winter Park/Fraser Valley, CO. From what I've heard they are either grooming or have some winter routes in Winter Park, and Devil's Thumb Ranch is allowing fat bikes and dogs on some of their groomed system, and across the road at the YMCA camp, can't remember the name, they are grooming singletrack in their nordic system that are bike only.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Groomed single track is what you want, but that's a rare bird because you gotta find trails that fat bikers maintain, not XC trails or sled trails.

I got a four mile loop I'm keeping up over the winter, gotta get on it after each snowfall, boot packing/walking sections, just gotta keep it packed or the hikers will mess it up.

There's a state park in the Methow, groomed by the baker from Winthrop, it's pretty good when the snow is in, all single track. Methow Valley is about thirteen hours from SLC. Bring your regular bikes and ride the Seattle rain forest trails.

If I had the $$, I'd get one of those dirtbike conversions that make your cycle into a narrow track snow mobile, that would be the ticket for grooming a lot of single track mileage

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Big Lake outside of Wasilla, Alaska.

Your Best Friend
    What's the riding like there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Marquette, Michigan. Love that town and the scenery and the snow is spectacular.

Won't be like anything you've done before.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I get that a lot of resorts and similar are starting to groom "singletrack" and I guess that'd be ok. Not ideal though. True singletrack is always better however ime fat bikes more often than not cannot blaze their own snow trail and rely somewhat on either an active fat bike community or snowshoeing community. Those can be rare. I'd like to maybe hear what people have nearby and whether or not they'd recommend it as a travel destination.
    OK. When would this trip happen?

Your Best Friend
    Whenever. Sometime this winter for sure but good recommendations are always worthwhile. This isn't just for me, maybe we can get some good info put out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you could manage it, a hut to hut trip would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Whenever. Sometime this winter for sure but good recommendations are always worthwhile. This isn't just for me, maybe we can get some good info put out there.
    The answer to your question is pretty consistently "It depends". In other words, weather in the weeks and days leading up to your trip will make or break the trip. Even with consistent and massive grooming efforts (which are still very rare) you could get snookered by a night-before or day-of storm.

Probably your safest bet in the Rockies would be to wait until late Feb or early March when the storm-cycle-faucet turns off or at least ramps down. Then where? Personally I'd look into big sledneck loops, preferably within an ~hour of a population center so that there is consistent traffic to pack things down. Steamboat and Grand Lake are both high on that list, as is (believe it or not) Durango and/or Mancos.

If you want to stay in Utah bite off some big chunks of the Paiute ATV trail, or loop the whole thing in a ~week. In Wyoming explore the Snowies. In Arizona you can, in some years and with a *lot* of luck with timing, ride from Jacob Lake to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I have yet to ride in Nevada in winter but I'll bet there are some great opportunities to get up into the bristlecones.

For something completely different go to Minneapolis and be amazed at how much trail there is, and how many people are using it. This predates (and massively benefits) the fatbike contingent by decades. For something even more different go hit 3 or 4 locales in Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. Levis/Trow, Wausau, Marquette, and Houghton would be a good start.

Got air miles burning a hole in your pocket? Fly into Anchorage and ride a few laps of Kincaid, then tie that into the Hillside and Campbell Tract, be sure to hit the Middle Fork, and then rent a car and head out into the valley: the Wasilla/Big Lake/Knik complex of sledneck and mushing trails, all of which can be connected into hundreds of other miles of trails.

Got air miles *and* a passport? Go to the Yukon...

Your Best Friend
    Perfect Mike! I've ridden Steamboat in August but honestly didn't think they'd have much of a fat biking scene. I'd love to get out to Minneapolis as well.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    If you could manage it, a hut to hut trip would be cool.
    The San Juan hut to hut intrigued me last year. I contacted them about it and they were pretty quick to shut it down. Now this year they are advertising some fat bike specific tours.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Got air miles burning a hole in your pocket? Fly into Anchorage and ride a few laps of Kincaid, then tie that into the Hillside and Campbell Tract, be sure to hit the Middle Fork, and then rent a car and head out into the valley: the Wasilla/Big Lake/Knik complex of sledneck and mushing trails, all of which can be connected into hundreds of other miles of trails.

Got air miles *and* a passport? Go to the Yukon...
    Or do a "glacier ride" if the ice is frozen, riding out to Portage or Knik glaciers. Surreal experience and ride.

Out trails were coming along nicely a week ago with a foot of snow or so, but rain melted it all. Now it's at least getting cold again so we might get some snow and be able to start over at least.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Steamboat
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 569
Size:  52.1 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 573
Size:  128.5 KBFat Bike specific riding destinations-image.jpgFat Bike specific riding destinations-image.jpg
    Same as a lot of places, in that, when there's riding(most of the time) there's a bunch of it. I would think it's the same conditions as where you are just someplace different. We have a descent amount of single track and xc ski trails around here as well. I prefer snomo and there's a couple hundred miles of that on either end of town.

Your Best Friend
    Steamboat has quickly moved to the top of my list.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Or do a "glacier ride" if the ice is frozen, riding out to Portage or Knik glaciers. Surreal experience and ride.

Out trails were coming along nicely a week ago with a foot of snow or so, but rain melted it all. Now it's at least getting cold again so we might get some snow and be able to start over at least.
    Or Matanuska Glacier, which will almost definitely be accessible, or Skookum or Placer. And if Anchorage happens to be having exceptionally shitty weather, drive to Eureka or Cantwell, then continue on to the White Mtns north of Fairbanks for an exceptional hut to hut tour in the White Mtns.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Waiting till later in the winter in the Rockies isn't the best advice. Most of the yearly snowfall typically happens late winter and early spring. On top of that, there is generally less travel from other types of winter activities which could be a cause for a frustrating trip. I know you said you didn't want to do a race, but they can provide for some nice riding and you don't have to be competitive. There are a boatload of groomed trails in Idaho near Yellowstone. You could spend weeks exploring the back country around Jackson, Togwotee, and near Driggs. It can be fun to ride into the hot springs south of Jackson and is a full day.

Your Best Friend
    Tell me more about the hot springs ride near Jackson. Hadn't heard of that one.

blood in / blood out
    silentfoe, if you do make it to MN, look me up and I'll show you some of what we have. Cable Wisc is another great area to ride. And I'll cast another vote for Mich.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Elitest thrill junkie
    And a lot of stuff up here in Alaska (I would imagine it's the same in places like Michigan) gets a LOT of traffic and gets packed down relatively quick if there is a storm. You just don't know how big the storm will be and it could require waiting a day or days before it gets packed down. If you go to a place that has a real strong XC ski contingent, then you'll usually have snow-shoers, skijorners and all sorts of other users that will pack down trails. Anchorage is probably "more of" a riding destination in the winter than the summer, even though we have some truly epic trails, but arranging the rides and getting people to go with you would be the tricky part for anything outside of the city IMO. Talkeetna, Kenai Peninsula, before mentioned glacier rides, Eureka (along Glen Allen highway) and others. Lots of activity in the Mat-Su valley, but this is a hard thing to just break into head-on with no local knowledge. I did some trips this year down south for the summer and with the mountain bike project app, I was able to piece together some great rides, but I wouldn't be so confident in the winter in a place I didn't know. I'd try to pair the vacation up with something else and make mountain biking a possible activity, but not the only possible activity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Leadville and Breck are good choices. Rabbit Ears ain't bad either

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I can try to describe MN a bit. I would consider the Twin Cities a fatbiking destination for sure.

There are probably around 40 miles of machine groomed singletrack MTB only trail around the twin cities. There are another 40 miles or so that are snowshoe packed, or simply ridden by enough fatbikes to stay packed. These are the same trails we ride in the summer, we just use various mechanized means to groom them for winter riding as well. Some of these trails are groomed immediately following a snowfall, thanks to the dedicated trail crews. Really wonderful riding. Many of the technical feature lines are left ungroomed, and it's a race to put "first tracks" on them after a snowfall. If you start looking up the area trails, Elm Creek, Lebanon Hills, Carver Lake Park, Hillside Park, Theodore Wirth, and Minnesota River Bottoms are all very well packed trails. I would wager Elm Creek being one of the best groomed singletrack trails anywhere.

Further north, Cuyuna has a dedicated snow bike trail unit (Sagamore), and they also groom the Yawkey unit. There are Yurts to stay in right off the trail.

The Duluth area trails are also good to ride, though some of them more or less shut down in a heavy snow year.

If you want to ride ungroomed or tougher trails in MN, you would have to ride right after a snowfall. Even the trails that do not have mechanized grooming get really packed in very quick, some trails have hundreds of fatbikes riding on them daily. This is a picture of a very early winter group ride at the MN River Bottoms:

Fat Bike specific riding destinations-10407305_415607871922875_8425175011445195428_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'll just leave this here if ever you plan on heading towards New England..

FATIVALLEZY-MAINE HUTS TRIP REPORT | Mountain Bike Vermont

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Good question.. I have often thought about this myself. I hope the sport continues to grow. But in the mean time, it is cool to see the harmony that we share with XC skiers, Snowshoers, and snowmobiles.

^Good suggestion on the Maine huts.

I have considered riding an out and back style overnight on Moore Reservoir on the boarder of NH and VT. (Or google these coords to where to park 44.340204, -71.837626)
    I rode a bit of the reservoir last year and think it could make a good 2 day trip. Maybe jump off the water and find a B&B to crash at and catch a hot meal.

I'm sure there are better ideas/rides in NH/VT. But not sure there is a database for said winter rides.

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Waiting till later in the winter in the Rockies isn't the best advice. Most of the yearly snowfall typically happens late winter and early spring.
    You need to be more accurate if you're going to throw a passive aggressive jab like that. Storm cycles vary by region. Southern Colorado (one of the places I mentioned) gets most of it's snow early season, then the faucet moves north. Central and Northern Colorado (another of the places I was specific about) get most of their snow in Feb and March, leaving a typical April and May with high pressure and firm trails. Everywhere (in CO) that I mentioned has a grooming program, all of which last at least through April, most go a few weeks into May.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You need to be more accurate if you're going to throw a passive aggressive jab like that. Storm cycles vary by region. Southern Colorado (one of the places I mentioned) gets most of it's snow early season, then the faucet moves north. Central and Northern Colorado (another of the places I was specific about) get most of their snow in Feb and March, leaving a typical April and May with high pressure and firm trails. Everywhere (in CO) that I mentioned has a grooming program, all of which last at least through April, most go a few weeks into May.
    It wasn't passive aggressive at all. I just flat disagree. I am always doing snow riding long after most people have any interest in snow. I typically have at least one ride in the month of May every year with temps below zero and in some moderately brutal winter type storms. The grooming stops here generally the second week in April, often when we are getting some good snow fall in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming. The grooming stops, because most are done with winter and the activity level for snow sports has dropped off considerably. It's also the time of the year where snow riding can be less predictable. The sun is higher in the sky and the daytime temps can have radical swings from far too warm to ride in the snow to cloudy stormy blizzard conditions. In my opinion, if one was planning a vacation, it would be better done during the more central winter months when there is more winter activity and even if there is a storm, there is generally going to be some riding available pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    It wasn't passive aggressive at all. I just flat disagree. I am always doing snow riding long after most people have any interest in snow. I typically have at least one ride in the month of May every year with temps below zero and in some moderately brutal winter type storms. The grooming stops here generally the second week in April, often when we are getting some good snow fall in the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming. The grooming stops, because most are done with winter and the activity level for snow sports has dropped off considerably. It's also the time of the year where snow riding can be less predictable. The sun is higher in the sky and the daytime temps can have radical swings from far too warm to ride in the snow to cloudy stormy blizzard conditions. In my opinion, if one was planning a vacation, it would be better done during the more central winter months when there is more winter activity and even if there is a storm, there is generally going to be some riding available pretty quickly.
    OK, so you're in Wyoming, which (chances are...) has a different weather pattern than the places 300 miles south or 300 miles further north.

That's good info, but it doesn't change my recommendation for the Colorado rockies. Coming to the Colorado mountains ~late Jan to ~mid March and want to play in the snow? Sure -- bring a quiver of skis and leave the fatbike at home.

And yes, freak May (or June, or mid-July) winter weather is to be expected, but it's just that -- freak -- and not the norm. I think the OP gets that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Your Best Friend
    If anyone ever wants to come out to Utah, I'll be happy to make sure you ride all of the good stuff. Here's an overview of some of our trails:
    https://youtu.be/POQb_Xfb5CY

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Groomed single track is what you want, but that's a rare bird because you gotta find trails that fat bikers maintain, not sled trails.
    Oh brother!
    I have access to well over 150 miles of sled trails in the Four Mile Park area clear over to Electric Mountain Lodge, not to mention the Flattops area with even more. I have been a volunteer groomer op for nearly 20 years there. The best part is how courteous the trail users are, regardless of what they are riding, be it a bike, sled, dogsled or xc skis.

While this observation may be regional, I love the sled trails.

Shark has a good point, beaches bikinis and fat bikes. Great recipe!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    mikesee had commented on Minneapolis and maybe heading out to some Wisconsin spots. I guess my comment is more in line with what you had brought up about getting some info out there as opposed to saying that the spot I am going to recommend is "The" spot you should go.

I agree with Mikesee that Mpls has a surprising (or maybe not) amount of great fatbike trails in the winter. In addition to that I would say that a trip to Cuyuna and Duluth are in order and will be better overall than Mpls primarily because the trails are more centralized. But bascially all the summer singletrack trails are groomed and packed for riding in the winter in Cuyuna and Duluth.

I think the downfall to MN snow singletrack is snow can be sketchy (last year it was ice trails for awhile) and the temps can be brutal.

I will say, riding snow single track in -5 to -20 is tough to keep the feet warm but the snow condition at those temps are just awesome for a fat tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Somehow missed that there was 2 pages here, so my post was a bit redundant. Would echo Stormwalker as well, though I would say that I rode all the Duluth trails last winter -- albeit not a heavy snow year. Not sure what the grooming plan is for the year in Duluth other than they bought a snowmobile this year for grooming the single track.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My wife and I are going out to the Fat Bike Birkie In March. I plan to stay at my sister's place in Mpls on the way. How can I get hooked up on the trails in the area? We want to ride some while we are there.
    We live in Park City Ut and can help with anyone heading out this way as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    MTB project would be one way. Minnesota Off Road Cyclists website and their trail sections would be another.

Where is your sister's place in Mpls? That may help choose the best trail options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    You could hit Winter Park/Fraser Valley, CO. From what I've heard they are either grooming or have some winter routes in Winter Park, and Devil's Thumb Ranch is allowing fat bikes and dogs on some of their groomed system, and across the road at the YMCA camp, can't remember the name, they are grooming singletrack in their nordic system that are bike only.
    Good call! the trails are there, the snow is there, the legal weed is there and the biking support is there! I may go buy a fattie and go there myself, or better yet take my split board and hit Mary Jane!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Hawkeye View Post
    MTB project would be one way. Minnesota Off Road Cyclists website and their trail sections would be another.

Where is your sister's place in Mpls? That may help choose the best trail options.
    Thanks for the feedback, She lives in Eagan, looks to be close to Lebanon hills, how are the trails there in winter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    Good call! the trails are there, the snow is there, the legal weed is there and the biking support is there! I may go buy a fattie and go there myself, or better yet take my split board and hit Mary Jane!
    Just returned from Winter Park today from 4 day trip specifically as fat bike destination. Frasier River trail from town to resort is groomed. Shared with x-country skate-skiers. All snow has melted off or been removed from trail from Winter Park towards Frasier.

On advice from local, rode from resort entrance across highway 40 to Lakota real estate development. Snow covered pavement up to National Forest gravel road (snow covered but groomed). From there can cut across to Corona Pass (groomed, but shared with snowmobiles). 4+ hour grind up Corona Pass. If you're a flatlander like me, the altitude is a bigger issue than the trail grade.

The solitude was as spectacular at the scenery. A stop at Goodies Bakery at the resort will top up your carb levels (recommend the Nutella/Caramel cheesecake). Just be sure you stop on the way down, you don't want to lug that pound and a half of nirvana up the mountain.