Fat bike sizing for a tweener- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

Fat bike sizing for a tweener

Hi all - so I'm considering a low budget entry level fat bike to see if it's something I'm into (I'll save the "which bike?" part for another thread). After scouring CL, Pink bike and the various threads and comps, I'm leaning towards a new Framed bike. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to ride before I buy, as I haven't found any shops that carry them around here (RI / MA).

I'm 5-8 with a ~29" inseam. I've been comfortable on a 16" hard tail, and recently picked up a 17.5 FS, which I'm still assessing. Framed specs recommends either their 15" or 17" for someone with my "dimensions" (17" may open up some used options near me).

For those fat bike riders who were in between sizes, which way did you end up going and how did it turn out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Same size here. I went S on Mukluk and Bucksaw. Wish I had gone M on Bucksaw. M on Giants and 17.5 on Treks.

If riding in deep snow is a going to be a thing you may want the one with the most standover.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Same size here. I went S on Mukluk and Bucksaw. Wish I had gone M on Bucksaw. M on Giants and 17.5 on Treks.

If riding in deep snow is a going to be a thing you may want the one with the most standover.
    Good info - standover on a S Framed Minnesota is about 1-1/2" more than the S Mukluk and reach is a tad shorter (interestingly, reach for the M Framed is listed as 10mm SHORTER than the S - typo perhaps?).

So you were good with the small size on the Muk?

I don't think I would be out in deep snow (at least not at first) - mostly looking to extend the season into late fall / early winter and early spring (mud season) with maybe some beach rides here and there.

trail gnome
    I'm about 5'10" with a 32 inseam. My regular mountain bikes have been large. Based on advice from others about standover clearance in deep snow, I ended up getting a medium (17.5") fatbike frame. I found it too short.

I just switched to a large (19.5") and I've only had one ride on it so far, but I don't feel cramped and the longer wheelbase suits me much better.

I was concerned about standover height in deep snow, but I find there is more than enough standover clearance on the large frame on dirt, and I have found that when I needed to put a foot down in deep uncompressed snow in the past, most times my foot sank so much that the standover on a medium frame wasn't enough and I would fall over anyway. If I am going to fall over anyway, I might as well do it on a frame that fits me better.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I am literally the same height and inseam as you. I have a medium wednesday (17") and medium fatillac.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I am literally the same height and inseam as you. I have a medium wednesday (17") and medium fatillac.
    Interesting - I did the Competitive Cyclist fit tool & it + the HT geo I have is definitely pointing towards the geo of the smaller size. Iím looking at the Minnesota 1.2 & Wolftrax x5 - the Wolf has way longer effective top tube (but is only avail in 17Ē).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by salinity View Post
    Good info -
    So you were good with the small size on the Muk?
    My contact points on all my bikes are exactly the same. How the frame geometry fits beneath me varies. I've got lots of seatpost showing. My Lefty dictates the stem length needed in this case and thus influences frame size. Had I not gone Lefty I could have fit a M as well, but then the standover would have been greater too.
    This is a 2013 frame btw.
    Fat bike sizing for a tweener-img_0042%5B2%5D.jpg