Fat bike for short rider?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Fat bike for short rider?

I'm almost certain this has been covered, but my searching has failed me.

My girlfriend loves my fat bike, but at 5'4 my large frame presents obvious challenges for her to ride. I'm thinking she needs a 14 or 15 inch frame. Will be ridden more on gravel and dirt roads, not much singletrack so no suspension necessary. 4" tires are plenty, she doesn't ride in the winter.

Possibly vain but color matters too, she's a graphic designer. Purple or blue preferred, something neutral like silver would be okay. So far on my list:

Framed Minnesota female version looks pretty perfect for her actually, after shipping it would cost around $800 which is on the high side of my budget.

Bikes Direct Gravity Bullseye Monster has a 14 inch frame, not as nice looking as above but only $500.

Anything else under $900 I should be looking at? I've clicked through the sub $1000 thread but nothing in there with regards to small frames.

mtbr member
    Maybe a 9zero7. Call and see what they have.

turtles make me hot
    Yeah... I can only speak for 907... It's all I have, Just built a medium for my ten year old son. He's like 5'2". Their frames have excellent standover.
    Only problem is 8 or 900 dollars covers the frame.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    XS Pugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I don't think I can swing 9zer07, both for price and I have no dealers around here. I don't want to spend more on her bike than I did on mine

mtbr member
    Motobecane Boris X5?

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X5 SRAM

15 inch in white.

15 inch X7 in Orange:

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X7 SRAM

Size chart says 5'5 to 5'8.

Shorter stem, it already has a low standover due to the bent top tube.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My Boris Evil Brut has great stand over.I bought a 19" frame with my 29" inseam and have zero issues.A 15" would give her enough for snow riding if she ever gave it a try.My wife can stand over my bike at 5'3.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks guys, I'll check those out. The BD bikes seem like a better value on paper, but I'm having trouble talking myself out of the Framed Minnesota, I think it's just closest to what I had pictured in my mind when I started looking.

Aesthetically I strongly prefer the Framed, and again, she's a graphic designer so it matters more than it probably should. Wish they had free shipping, I'm striking out trying to get one through any local dealers so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Purple Lurch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Definitely look at the 15" Boris. Got one for my gf, and at 5'5" it fits her well. Oh, and for the extra hundred dollars, go for the X7. The vee8's may not be the best tires out there, but the Big Adventures on the X5 are complete garbage. That, and the tektro brakes on the X5 are pretty poor compared the bb-5" s on the 7.

*edit* and last I checked the X7 had some nice color choices... The seafoam is particularly appealing to the eye!

mtbr member
    I have a 9zero7 ex small on order for my 4'10" wife. She can ride the small ICT that I have but the stand over is a little uncomfortable and riding position is a little stretched.

mtbr member
    stand over for the ex small 9zero7 was quoted at 25", from the factory, sitting on 45NRTH D5's. We can't wait for this bike to show. It's gonna be killer. X9 rear der. and shifters. X7 front. Carbon bars and post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I would write to the company's of interest and see if you can get a scratched model to strip and re-paint to your Girls taste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    When I was four foot nothing my dad got me a 26" bike because he didn't want to waste money buying the 20". I learned easy and never had a problem. Bike shops are so anal these days, but what the heck, they make more money.

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'0" and an XS PugOps fits her perfectly after adding a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Small Pugs SS grape soda color looks amazing in person, has a nice sparkle to it. We set my wife's up as a 1x10. I'll try to post a pic sometime soon.

beer thief
    You might look at the bottom of the page for a thread titled "On One Baby Fatty" and at this http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fra...ns-941695.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I did see that thread on the mini-sota, I actually think that might be a bit too small for her. Considering her height she has relatively long legs, so I think any of the 14" or 15" frames will be fine standover wise.

I've got one more LBS I'm waiting to hear from about the possibility of getting me a Framed bike, hoping it would save me at least the shipping cost. If not then I'm going to have to take a closer look at some of the BD options. Might be able to strip one of their frames and powder coat it for the same cost as the Framed.

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    So your LBS would charge the same as The House but no shipping? Dang!

I've got the 3.0 XWT in the 16". Probably should have gotten the women's, but I wanted the components and the XWT. I think it's a very good buy.

Workin for the weekend!
    Doh, I thought this thread was about short bikes for Fat riders...
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    I did see that thread on the mini-sota, I actually think that might be a bit too small for her. Considering her height she has relatively long legs, so I think any of the 14" or 15" frames will be fine standover wise.
    I would agree that . At just under 5'2, with short legs proportionally, I ride a 24" kids fatbike. Great for me, but for anyone taller or with more leg, I wouldn't recommend it.