Fat Bike Rim Tape help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New question here. Fat Bike Rim Tape help

I have purchased a Chinese make aluminum fat bike. This bike has 100 mm rims with side-by-side drilled holes on the front wheel and single holes drilled holes on the rear wheel. I am looking to replace the rim tape. The only source that I have been able to identify are from Surley and the widest tape available offered is 75 mm. My rims require 100 mm tape, does anyone know of a source for 100 mm rim tape?

mtbr member
    Why don't you just overlap 2 strips?

I know, I'm sure toy already thought of this...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    The TOTAL Rim width is 100mm. You will not need tape that wide. My Fatboy has 90mm wide rims and I am using 64mm wide Surly Tape. It was a perfect fit. The rim strips/tape needs to cover the inside width of the rim (over the spokes and drillouts). That's about it.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No reason that tape wouldn't work since it's what they include on clownshoe rims

turtles make me hot
    I made my own rimstrips out of camo gorilla tape. You can make whatever width you want.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Be creative........glow in the dark Batman symbols
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Rim Tape help-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I put the reflective tape found on semi trailers to my Fatboy.
    Looks great with the lights reflecting red & white.
    Added the tape to duct tape, placed in rim them added the factory rim strip to hold it all in place. One guy told me "oh man, that's too heavy, too much weight to add to your tires" It's a Fatboy not a road racer!!
    Here's mine next to another Expert, mine has Bluto & rim strips.
    In the pics you can see the rim strip with & without the flash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bike Rim Tape help-aug-30-2014-077.jpg  

Fat Bike Rim Tape help-aug-30-2014-076.jpg  

Last edited by jeepnpr; 09-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    The TOTAL Rim width is 100mm. You will not need tape that wide. My Fatboy has 90mm wide rims and I am using 64mm wide Surly Tape. It was a perfect fit. The rim strips/tape needs to cover the inside width of the rim (over the spokes and drillouts). That's about it.
    Any pics of the fatboy rim with the surly tape? Still happy with it?

I want to change the color of my fatboy tape. Rather than adding weight I am thinking of just replacing the fatboy strip altogether. Suggestions welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Any pics of the fatboy rim with the surly tape? Still happy with it?

I want to change the color of my fatboy tape. Rather than adding weight I am thinking of just replacing the fatboy strip altogether. Suggestions welcome.
    Here you go. I bought the 64mm Orange Surly Rim strips and have had no issues with them whatsoever. FWIW - I'm also running the lighter 2.3 - 3.0" Specialized tubes as well.
    Fat Bike Rim Tape help-fatboy2.jpg
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    Here you go. I bought the 64mm Orange Surly Rim strips and have had no issues with them whatsoever. FWIW - I'm also running the lighter 2.3 - 3.0" Specialized tubes as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fatboy2.jpg 
Views:	3902 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	936382
    If you ever want your "orange" Surly strip to be orange, not red, put a white Surly on it. ;o)

mtbr member
    Electrical tape works great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm looking to add some reflective tape from here:
    Identi-Tape - All Kinds of Colored Tape

But as a noob to fat bikes, I have a few questions... How thin mil-wise can I go, and obviously - is the securing technique to just peel off a thin ribbon where the tape overlaps and press?

Thanks. Yeah - this is ridiculously obvious to those who have done it, but rather than make noob errors, I thought I'd ask!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This depends on your current setup. I've had good luck with simply applying the tape to the existing colored rim strip and reinstalling. My ideal solution is a sandwich of 3 tapes. Color tape followed by strapping tape, and then a layer of Gorilla Tape. If using tubes, then you can omit the Gorilla tape.

It also doesn't need to be adhesive tape, you can use the sew on reflective trim, or any cool fabric designs you like.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Jag - thanks for the quick reply - gives me something to work from.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iCollector View Post
    I'm looking to add some reflective tape ... How thin mil-wise can I go, and obviously - is the securing technique to just peel off a thin ribbon where the tape overlaps and press?...
    Retro-reflective makes you the most visible, as it reflects light back at its source (headlights...).
    It's fairly thick, and some of it can be very stiff. To get it to sit flat against the back of the rim (to seal the tape to the openings), you may have to use a hole punch (paper size, or possibly leather punch size) to make a cutout in the retro-reflective tape for the spoke nipple. Which means another backing tape over the rear of the retro-reflective, both to cover the nipple hole, and to anchor the retro-reflective in place. Small pieces of tape to cover the nipple holes are fine, if the tape will stay there...
    A thinner strip of tape along both edges will hold it in place and seal it to the rim to help keep debris out.
    You only need the retro-reflective to be wide enough to cover the openings in your rim.

I did a complete backing of Gorilla Tape (I now don't think this is necessary), then ended up cutting out holes for the nipples, and another small piece of tape to cover each nipple. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/rim...es-726473.html

There are other and better threads on doing this. Search.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I searched "Rim Tape" my search didn't pick that up - story - I did do a search - not that much of a noob!

Thanks for the link!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My point is that there are other threads - better threads - than the one I gave the link to, with more first hand experiences posted. That's the one I can find easy. You might have to move to google to get more results from forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Point taken thanks. I get myopic with this site as the basically the only one i visit!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I thought I was being clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    ... other threads - better threads - ... from forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes.com
    As in, at this site, this forum.
    Just that the search function doesn't necessarily turn up the terms you entered, hence often better results using google to search forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Each time I've done "tape" for my cut-outs, I've simply cut little squares and taped them inside with minimal clear/scotch type tape, then I run a small narrow strip of gorilla over the nipples and two passes of clear packing tape. Everything is solid and due to the low pressures, no issues, heck, even held 40psi just fine overnight a few days ago stretching my new tires. You "can" use one continuous piece of tape over holes, but you don't have to, unless you are also making it the rim-strip for tubeless.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.