Thread: FAT BIKE rack

mtbr member

FAT BIKE rack

Hello,
    We humbly wanted to introduce ourselves. We are a small company out of Utah, and we build innovative and mold breaking racks. Our racks convert between differnt sports and last a very long time. We offer life time warranty and a great American made product.
    We build fat bike specifics racks that fit from 24 inch to 29 inch wheelFAT BIKE rack-fatbikes.jpgFAT BIKE rack-20170622_113409.jpg fat bikes. All the way to 6 inch tires. www.altaracks.com 200 dollars off, contact us for discount code. contact@altaracks.com
    Military grade products at great prices.
    www.altaracks.com
    Not just a bike rack, but a Life rack.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Man that's a lot of weight on the rear axle. Many tow-bars are only rated for 200-250 or so.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Man that's a lot of weight on the rear axle. Many tow-bars are only rated for 200-250 or so.
    Its a class III hitch. 500 pound limit. The rack weighs less than the Kuat or Yakima four carrier. We have not had any issues in two years of using it. The hitch is connected to the frame. The airflow is also excellent in that configuration.
    www.altaracks.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    He's fine, that's a 2", frame mounted, the total bike load is 300-350#, well within the spec for a frame truck hitch.

Class III - Larger trailers and accessories
    •Class III hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 600 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW).
    •Class III hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a 1000 lbs. maximum trailer tongue weight (TW)
    •Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
    •Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
    •A Class III hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
    •A higher class ball mount does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
    •Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Racks View Post
    Its a class III hitch. 500 pound limit. The rack weighs less than the Kuat or Yakima four carrier. We have not had any issues in two years of using it. The hitch is connected to the frame. The airflow is also excellent in that configuration.
    Well, on a large SUV or pickup, sure, but that's about the only situation I could see using it, if it's a large pickup, you may not even need a rack, the large SUV and pickup would have springs and towbar sufficient for this, otherwise, wouldn't be appropriate for many other vehicles (many light SUVs, wagons, cars, etc.).

The rack may weigh less than Kuat, but putting that much weight that far aft on a vehicle will seriously unload the front end and weight the rear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

FB&H rider
    Love how big it is - very few would have that capacity... yes, I'm sure Jayem is right - have to have the right hitch to support, although here in Europe I'm constantly surprised by what people in the eurowagons put/pull on their hitches
    I brought my truck over and don't use a hitch at all - can easily fit 5-6 fatties on my crash pad which is also much easier to manage on/off. Still if I were in the market for a rack that could carry 4+ bikes I'd definitely look at this one.
    2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler MBS "Sir Fatsalot"
    2018 Kona Wozo "Adipose Rex"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta Racks View Post
    Hello,
    We humbly wanted to introduce ourselves....
    I like your baskets versus Northshore 👍
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Well, on a large SUV or pickup, sure, but that's about the only situation I could see using it, if it's a large pickup, you may not even need a rack, the large SUV and pickup would have springs and towbar sufficient for this, otherwise, wouldn't be appropriate for many other vehicles (many light SUVs, wagons, cars, etc.).

The rack may weigh less than Kuat, but putting that much weight that far aft on a vehicle will seriously unload the front end and weight the rear.
    I'd have no issue using that hitch rack on a OEM class III hitch mounted on a 1/2 ton. And I'm quite familiar with towing payloads and hitch weights as I frequently tow my 9500 lbs GVWR TT with my 1-ton. That rack is not going to unload much on the front with a 1/2 ton that is outfitted with OEM class III.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    I'd have no issue using that hitch rack on a OEM class III hitch mounted on a 1/2 ton. And I'm quite familiar with towing payloads and hitch weights as I frequently tow my 9500 lbs GVWR TT with my 1-ton. That rack is not going to unload much on the front with a 1/2 ton that is outfitted with OEM class III.
    Agreed. A heavy fat bike is 40#, so fully loaded with 6 heavy fat bikes the total weight is less than 300#. If one is carrying 6 bikes odds are the vehicle would have at least one passenger which would offset any moment force about the rear axle caused by the loaded rack. Even without a passenger, no, it would not "seriously unload" the front of anything that would have a class 3 hitch.

mtbr member
    Thank you J_westy,
    We make three basket sizes to accomodate all the way to 6 inch wide tires and all the way to 29 inch wheels. There is no touch, no rub to the frame from the rack, or the other bikes. Carbon bikes are being damaged by careless shuttle companies using NS, had that experience in Moab couple of times. Not their bike, I guess.
    Just left the fab shop, long day working on ski and snowboard carriers. The rack is desing to adapt to different sports, One rack to rule them all.
    www.altaracks.com