Fat Bike Race Pace- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Fat Bike Race Pace

So the Farley 7 just came in and in order for me to force myself to brave the cold I entered a Fat Bike Race towards the end of January. Being new to Fat Biking I am curious as to what race pace should be, I'm not concerned with winning since it's my first but would like to be competitive. So what is a fast, middle, and slow pace, in mph/km.

mtbr member
    What is the length of a piece of string?

Point being it's impossible to know as courses and conditions make it hugely variable not to mention the field of competitors.

If this is an annual event, you might want to check the event page or Strava for past results.

You can check the results and video from this one. 2018 had some best groomed trails you could imagine. 28 miles and 3,000+ feet of climbing. This was more like a road race on snow than MTB race. Nothing technical, but a hoot none the less. If you can hang with the pros, kudos. https://www.birkie.com/bike/events/fat-bike-birkie/

Elitest thrill junkie
    Umm....fast?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just about the most fun Iíve had on a bike!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    What is the length of a piece of string?

Point being it's impossible to know as courses and conditions make it hugely variable not to mention the field of competitors.

If this is an annual event, you might want to check the event page or Strava for past results.

You can check the results and video from this one. 2018 had some best groomed trails you could imagine. 28 miles and 3,000+ feet of climbing. This was more like a road race on snow than MTB race. Nothing technical, but a hoot none the less. If you can hang with the pros, kudos. https://www.birkie.com/bike/events/fat-bike-birkie/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stras View Post
    So the Farley 7 just came in and in order for me to force myself to brave the cold I entered a Fat Bike Race towards the end of January. Being new to Fat Biking I am curious as to what race pace should be, I'm not concerned with winning since it's my first but would like to be competitive. So what is a fast, middle, and slow pace, in mph/km.
    Is this your first race? Racing pace has nothing to do with the bike. It is all about the course and the effort you can maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Professional Crastinator
    How 'bout some fatbike race results for perspective?

https://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/...-fat-bike-race

Of course, if you don't know the course, you have no idea what I'm talking about. This was a 2-ish mi. loop; 1/2 singletrack, 1/2 golf course. Rolling hills with a couple punchy climbs, and very little elevation. It was 28F and raining with mushy snow ranging from 5" to 12". The groomers did their best the night before, but nothing would hold together. It was a slow course by any standard. The other factor was that on that same day there was another fatbike race in Michigan, and a lot of the fastest riders were there and not in this race.
    So you do the math.

But really, I did this race with a good (and realistic) feeling about my fitness level at the time, rode my race (i.e. tried to not blow myself up, for which I am famous), and had a good time. Tire choice made a huge difference - almost more than fitness.
    Don't forget to have fun.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Snow conditions in the winter can vary much more than dirt conditions vary in the summer. It could be hardpacked perfect snow that could be ridden on a normal MTB tire all the way to 12+" or fresh or windblown snow where you are walking your bike for miles on end. No way to estimate what the pace will be.

since 4/10/2009
    Just show up and try it out.

No point in over-analyzing it unless you've got some experience with them and are looking for that last 3% to get you past the competition.

You probably ought to get your fatbike out in the snow prior to the race so you can figure out tire pressures, tires, and the like. IMO, too many fatbikes come with tires that are crap for most snow conditions. You'll want to figure out if that's the case for yours prior to your race.