Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robertdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    702

    Fat Bike questions

    I think the fat bike looks like it would be fun to ride anywhere. I own 4 29ers but I am thinking of getting a Fat Bike early next year as a fun trail bike. Would this make sense considering I live in an area that gets little snow? Also, can you run a 29er wheel on a Fat Bike? That would be nice and make it more versatile for me. I like to race also but I love riding my bikes about anywhere. Thanks for any comments.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,494
    You own FOUR 29ers and you're wondering if a fatbike makes sense?!

    Of course it does! Most fatbikes can handle a 29er wheelset, clearance wise, but the hub spacing is likely incorrect. Some can even use the 29x3 Surly Knard tires too, then you can try out the 29+ madness too.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  3. #3
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    10,111
    FOR SURE a fatbike makes sense...
    And like JAGI410 said, I know for sure the 907 and Fatback will also accept the 29+ Surly wheels and tires. Once you ride those, 29ers feel like 26ers.
    I like turtles

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robertdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    702
    Thanks a lot. I needed some confirmation from people who have ridden fat bikes.

  5. #5
    Location: SouthPole of MN
    Reputation: duggus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,711

    Re: Fat Bike questions

    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Thanks a lot. I needed some confirmation from people who have ridden fat bikes.
    Make sure when you get one to find out where the local ATV trails are and wait for a good rain... mud hopping fun awaits!
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

  6. #6
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,666
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    I think the fat bike looks like it would be fun to ride anywhere. I own 4 29ers but I am thinking of getting a Fat Bike early next year as a fun trail bike. Would this make sense considering I live in an area that gets little snow? Also, can you run a 29er wheel on a Fat Bike? That would be nice and make it more versatile for me. I like to race also but I love riding my bikes about anywhere. Thanks for any comments.
    Yes, in fact fatbikes don't really come into their own unless you get a whole lot of snow. Not that you can't ride them elsewhere, they work fine on trails in the summer and all seasons. The wheels rotate like poop and the bike accelerates like you are pulling a wet mattress, but the fatbikes have their own challenges and fun tendencies too. When the snow piles up you can ride it with just some moderate packing, or a packed layer underneath new fallen snow, which is fun, and packed-singletrack trails on a fatbike are just tons of fun.

    29er wheels work fine if you build the rim on whatever hub you are using in your fatbike, and many accept 29+ even, if you want to go slower than 29er.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  7. #7
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, in fact fatbikes don't really come into their own unless you get a whole lot of snow.
    Try explaining this to all of us that ride in sand.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: maddslacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The wheels rotate like poop and the bike accelerates like you are pulling a wet mattress, but the fatbikes have their own challenges and fun tendencies too.
    So, what fat bike to you own that performs this poorly?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gcappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,640
    That's it. I'm selling my fat bike because I don't like to ride in snow. There is nothing left.

  10. #10
    nvphatty
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    That's it. I'm selling my fat bike because I don't like to ride in snow. There is nothing left.
    bout time

Similar Threads

  1. New bike questions
    By ChaosCelt in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
  2. First FS bike questions
    By ratgin in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 06:41 AM
  3. Bike questions?
    By bmxcrossover in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:17 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 09:06 AM
  5. Got a sweet new bike! Noob 'bike care' questions
    By enerj in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.