mtbr member

Fat Bike questions

I think the fat bike looks like it would be fun to ride anywhere. I own 4 29ers but I am thinking of getting a Fat Bike early next year as a fun trail bike. Would this make sense considering I live in an area that gets little snow? Also, can you run a 29er wheel on a Fat Bike? That would be nice and make it more versatile for me. I like to race also but I love riding my bikes about anywhere. Thanks for any comments.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You own FOUR 29ers and you're wondering if a fatbike makes sense?!

Of course it does! Most fatbikes can handle a 29er wheelset, clearance wise, but the hub spacing is likely incorrect. Some can even use the 29x3 Surly Knard tires too, then you can try out the 29+ madness too.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

turtles make me hot
    FOR SURE a fatbike makes sense...
    And like JAGI410 said, I know for sure the 907 and Fatback will also accept the 29+ Surly wheels and tires. Once you ride those, 29ers feel like 26ers.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot. I needed some confirmation from people who have ridden fat bikes.

Re: Fat Bike questions

Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    Thanks a lot. I needed some confirmation from people who have ridden fat bikes.
    Make sure when you get one to find out where the local ATV trails are and wait for a good rain... mud hopping fun awaits!
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
    I think the fat bike looks like it would be fun to ride anywhere. I own 4 29ers but I am thinking of getting a Fat Bike early next year as a fun trail bike. Would this make sense considering I live in an area that gets little snow? Also, can you run a 29er wheel on a Fat Bike? That would be nice and make it more versatile for me. I like to race also but I love riding my bikes about anywhere. Thanks for any comments.
    Yes, in fact fatbikes don't really come into their own unless you get a whole lot of snow. Not that you can't ride them elsewhere, they work fine on trails in the summer and all seasons. The wheels rotate like poop and the bike accelerates like you are pulling a wet mattress, but the fatbikes have their own challenges and fun tendencies too. When the snow piles up you can ride it with just some moderate packing, or a packed layer underneath new fallen snow, which is fun, and packed-singletrack trails on a fatbike are just tons of fun.

29er wheels work fine if you build the rim on whatever hub you are using in your fatbike, and many accept 29+ even, if you want to go slower than 29er.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yes, in fact fatbikes don't really come into their own unless you get a whole lot of snow.
    Try explaining this to all of us that ride in sand.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The wheels rotate like poop and the bike accelerates like you are pulling a wet mattress, but the fatbikes have their own challenges and fun tendencies too.
    So, what fat bike to you own that performs this poorly?

mtbr member
    That's it. I'm selling my fat bike because I don't like to ride in snow. There is nothing left.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    That's it. I'm selling my fat bike because I don't like to ride in snow. There is nothing left.
    bout time