Fat Bike / High Volume Floor Pumps Limitations- Mtbr.com
    ebnash

Fat Bike / High Volume Floor Pumps Limitations

I gave in a few days ago and purchased the Top Peak Joe Blow Mountain Floor pump as I was sick of 3 million strokes to air up my fat tires.

I have used it a few times and can say it was not worth the purchase for me and here is why...

I run tubeless and the valve stem inner diameters are very small/restrictive so no matter how much volume of air my floor pump is capable of moving on one stroke, it is still limited by valve stem. The high volume pump then becomes just as much work as you have to apply much more effort for each stroke.

I do believe, however, that if you are running tubes it will be more effective as the valve stem diameter is a little larger, but still limited if presta.

Anyone else experienced this?

mtbr member
    If that were the case... how would a compressor be able to flow more air to seat a tire?

Eh, try a small compressor?
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post
    If that were the case... how would a compressor be able to flow more air to seat a tire?

Compressor has a constant flow, while a pump has time lag between strokes, making it harder to catch up with air loss while trying to seat the bead. Pancake compressors are relatively cheap these days, and often on sale. Even a pump with an attached reservoir doesn't have the volume of even a small compressor.

Cheers.
    Kevin

mtbr member
    I use a floor pump on my tires and adding or re-inflating tires is not that much of a chore.

For seating tubeless tires I bought the Bontrager "flash" pump which has a separate reservoir that "blasts" air like a compressor. It does not work as well as a compressor, but it works well enough and is very transportable. It works best if the valve core is removed so that air flow is not restricted. Once the bead is set, the air has to be removed as there is no core in the stem. This requires refilling the tire with air again - which (as I said earlier) is not that big of a deal to me.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

ebnash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post

Actually, a compressor helps because you remove the valve core and triple the size of the air passage. I am talking about using the floor pump to air up after a flat or air loss. I would remove the valve core to use my floor pump. I would use my compressor.

My regular 0-160 floor pump is actually easier to use when the valve core is still installed. More pumps, but less effort...

Sorry I guess I made a confusing post as I am not using a floor pump to try and set beads...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I think you need to hit the gym fella!

-10 man points for complaining about pumping up tires.

I am dissapoint.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

mtbr member
    Another possibility (I know because it happened to me) is how your stem was set up for tubeless. I used a gheto tubeless method and didn't get all the tape removed from the back side of the stem. I also ended up getting a stans bogger stuck in it. Every time I'd try to air it up, it to a lot of effort just to get air past the blockage. Took the tire off and cleaned out the stem passage and it worked much better.

is buachail foighneach me
    I've been using a base model Blackburn floor pump this whole time. Even for seating fat tires tubeless on Fatback tubeless ready rims(I don't have a compressor). I second your negative man points penalty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

I am dissapoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    I've been using a base model Blackburn floor pump this whole time. Even for seating fat tires tubeless on Fatback tubeless ready rims(I don't have a compressor). I second your negative man points penalty.
    Thirded.

I used my basic Serfas pump last night to add 5 PSI to my 20 inch SUV tires.

It has a high flow/high pressure switch, either setting worked
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Rocking on a Rocky
    Get an air pig.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

since 4/10/2009
    For just adding a little air, my floor pump, which is really better for road tires, still works fine. Have to use a separate gauge to check pressures. To seat the bead, I use a small compressor, and I remove the valve core to get better flow. My failure to seat the bead quickly is more of a personal failure than anything. But tubeless made itself worthwhile for me yesterday. A stick punctured my tire that would have forced a tube replacement otherwise - sealant took care of it, and I just needed to top off the air a little after a few miles.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I switched to schrader valves and use the Lenzyne HV pump. Takes about 150 strokes from flat to rideable, or about 3 minutes. There's not much back pressure, and it goes pretty effortlessly.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Micro-F...eywords=lezyne
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

ebnash
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

I am dissapoint.
    Purpose of my post was to share my experience so that folks might think twice about spending $50-$80 on a fat specific pump that might not make a difference in the floor pumping department.

I chose to purchase a more efficient tool when in my garage and this one simply didn't do anything for me.

Still to clarify that I use a compressor to set beads on my fat bike. All my other bikes get bead set with the standard HP floor pump...

ebnash
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Joe Blow Fat and Joe Blow Mountain both use 44mm barrels. Fat just has a lower range gauge and costs $30 more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnash View Post
    Purpose of my post was to share my experience so that folks might think twice about spending $50-$80 on a fat specific pump that might not make a difference in the floor pumping department.
    I don't think there is anything fat specific about a Joe Blow pump. It is a pump made for larger volume tires (mtnbike, fatbike). I have a Joe Blow and have never complained about it. I set beads on my Bud and Lou, and 29er with ease.

I did find that after a while the pumping action wasn't as smooth, so I lubed the friction surfaces with Slick Honey. You may want to try that before dismissing the pump.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    I switched to schrader valves and use the Lenzyne HV pump. Takes about 150 strokes from flat to rideable, or about 3 minutes. There's not much back pressure, and it goes pretty effortlessly.
    http://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Micro-F...eywords=lezyne
    My old Blackburn TP 4 works just fine for airing up 4.8's. As for seating beads, as folks have stated above.

For tubeless Schrader 949 Racing offers some nice looking stems.
    Note, the site mentions bike usage...

Silver anodized aluminum valve
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...