Fat bike and the GDMBR or other multi day trips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Fat bike and the GDMBR or other multi day trips

In May of 2018 I will turn 50. I am interested in having some of the folks here opine about the GDMBR and what state if given the chance would you vote on completing? No more than a month long. Feel free to give other options instead of the GDMBR. I saw in another thread that some were stating that they would never do it again, please elaborate. I do appreciate your opinions. Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    I've never done it, but would like to. To me, it really depends on if you're doing it as a race, or just for fun. If you're doing it for fun, I'd stick with Idaho and Wyoming area. Lots of amazing stuff to see, and only two major climbs in Wyoming. They're back to back 10% grade for about 10km each. Not too bad if you keep your granny gear, just take a break every now and then to enjoy the view.
    https://tourdivide.org/sites/default...r_pinedale.JPG

The bad, not much civilization on the route, so bring a couple extra parts and plan your food and camping.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Tour divide is a big long dirt road tour. Which might be awesome, or might not, just depends on you.

Instead, I'd ride the CO trail from Denver to Durango and hit some neat loops/rides along the way to fill out the month. Great singletrack (most of the time, there are parts you might want to skip), great views, lots of ways to bail/repair/rest if needed as it's relatively populated until you pass the Gunnison area. Good stuff.

Why is this in the fatbike forum, btw? You don't need (or probably want) a fatbike for GDR, though I'm sure people have done it.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've ridden a good portion (Banff through Montana). I was riding (average) 100 miles/day on my Pugsley. Fatbike definitely isn't necessary, but it is fun (and it was the best fitting bike I (have ever) had). 100 miles was too much for me. I was missing out on a lot of beauty because I was too focussed on getting the milage in so I could sleep and do it the next day. Civilization is more readily available to access than most people think (up in the north section, anyway). I'll be going back on my same Pugz someday as part of a bigger tour. I recommend it, but there are definitely better routes if you're looking for real mountain biking instead of dirt road touring...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Well the reason for the fat bike thread is because I was thinking about doing it on my fat bike. I have my specialized AWOL for touring. Did the C&O/GAP this summer started in Delaware east coast. 450 miles for 10 days. Muddy mess..

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Why not a fat bike for the divide?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by tankhead10 View Post
    Why not a fat bike for the divide?

You can do it any way you want, on any bike you want.

But if you want a reason or two why not to ride it on fat tires? It's a dirt road for 95% of it's length. Can be ridden comfortably on 44mm slicks. Fat tires are heavier, slower, and more easily damaged than your average 29 x 2.0 or thereabouts.

That aside, do what Walt said -- ride the Colorado Trail, as much or as little as you can. It's actually a trail most of the time, and it's freaking stunning most of the time.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keep in mind that in May in the northern Rockies there is normally a ton of snow still on the ground, the Bears are just coming out of hibernation and tend to be hungry and grumpy. Oh yeah, May is also a huge precipitation month, think mountain snow / valley rain...translated this means damn cold conditions for being out and camping. This usually feels quite a bit colder than actual ( low ) temps due to everything always being wet and the evaporative cooling effect.
    If you want to do Idaho and Wyoming at this time, also note that the Flagg Ranch road doesn't open well into June most of the time. Same thing making the crossing from Togwotee pass down to Pinedale.
    If you have never done any serious winter camping, May on this route may not be your best choice.

On the other hand, if you are prepared for what I described, you will for sure see lots of animals and have the route to yourself!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Before I read the comments let me be clear, I would probably be riding in July or August. I'm a teacher and would have the time..

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sorry for that lack of information

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=11952

This guy did the entire route on a fatbike; south to north, started latter part of May.

I think there's at least one more rider who did it on a fatbike with a journal on the crazy guy site.

Southern New Mexico portion probably not as scenic as parts further north; depends on what you consider pretty, I guess. Lol

July/August hotter'n hell southern New Mexico, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah, I read most of that thread over the holidays which got me thinking about it and posting here. Thanks